metis-logo

Metis

Chicago, Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Metis

Metis offers data science training via 12-week full-time immersive bootcamps, part-time online bootcamp prep courses, and corporate training programs, with campuses in Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and Seattle. The Metis Data Science Bootcamp is designed and taught by industry practitioners and covers Python, Bash, algorithms, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, and interactive data visualization. Graduates will be comfortable designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a data science project, will grasp the fundamentals of data visualization, and will get exposure to modern big data tools and architecture such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. The data science curriculum is delivered through project-based, hands-on, collaborative learning and Metis provides students with on-site instruction, and access to speakers, mentors, events, and job support.

To apply for the Metis Data Science Bootcamp, applicants need to have experience with programming and statistics, and complete 25 hours of academic pre-work. Metis offers a free, self-paced Admissions Prep course for those who need to brush up on their linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python skills. Metis is looking for students eager to get their hands dirty by learning new technologies and solving real-life problems, and who have the skills needed to secure entry-level jobs in the Data Science field. Metis is authorized to enroll international students with M-1 visas across all U.S. campuses, which allow non-U.S. students to attend technical and vocational programs. International students who are already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa may also transfer to Metis. Veterans may apply to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to develop their data science skills at the New York City bootcamp.

Graduates leave fully qualified for data scientist jobs, with placement programs available. Students receive mock interview training, visit company offices, present their projects to employers at Career Day, and have access to an extensive network of speakers, mentors, events, and ongoing career coaching and job placement support.

Recent Metis Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (107) reviews for Metis →

Recent Metis News

Read all (46) articles about Metis →
  • Beginner Python and Math for Data Science

Data Science, Python
    Considering applying to our Data Science Bootcamp but need to build or brush up on your basic skills first? Our Beginner Python & Math for Data Science course was designed for you, the beginner looking for an introduction to the building blocks essential to developing data science skills or forging a new career in the field. This course sets you on the right track, covering everything you’ll encounter during the bootcamp application process. You’ll learn: Basics of Python programming Common Python libraries: NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib Foundations of linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics Please note, the cost of Beginner Python & Math for Data Science can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Beginner Python & Math for Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
  • Data Science Bootcamp

LocationNew York City, San Francisco, Chicago
    Metis's 12-week accredited data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Sr. Data Scientists bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    We partner with SkillsFund, an innovative financing company that offers financing options for students accepted to our bootcamp. Visit our website to learn more.
    ScholarshipWe offer a $3,000 scholarship for women, members of underrepresented groups, the LGBTQ community, or veterans of U.S. military personnel. We also accept GI Bill® benefits at our NYC campus. Visit thisismetis.com to learn more.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.
    Prep WorkOnce students are enrolled in the bootcamp, they are granted immediate access to our prework materials, a structured program of 25 hours of academic pre-work and up to 35 hours of set-up is designed to get admitted students warmed up and ready to go.
  • Introduction to Data Science

Data Science, Git, Python, Machine Learning
    This course takes you one step closer to becoming a data scientist by offering a subset of the topics covered in our Data Science Bootcamp. You’ll get a well-rounded intro to the core concepts and technologies taught within the bootcamp, including basic machine learning principles and hands-on coding experience. Plus, you’ll put it all to practice through a mini data science project of your own. We’ll cover the following: Data acquisition, cleaning, and aggregation Exploratory data analysis and visualization Feature engineering Model creation and validation Basic statistical and mathematical foundations for data science We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Introduction to Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents should have some familiarity with basic statistical and linear algebraic concepts. In Python, it will be helpful to know basic data structures.
  • Online Data Science Bootcamp

Metis's 12-week accredited online data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Data Science Instructors bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core online classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.

• Chintan  User Photo
    Chintan • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I joined Metis after reading reviews on websites such as this (Coursereport), and after attending one of their Meetups. In spite of all the 4-5 star reviews that I had seen, Metis beat all my expectations! Let me elaborate.

I earned my PhD in Experimental Chemistry at the University of Chicago. While my research was somewhat computational in nature, I was not well-equipped to get started with a career in Data Science. If you're from academia, you have to understand that universities have no interest or incentive to prepare their cheap-labor postdocs for real jobs. In spite of having science PhDs, half of my colleagues in academia weren't able to find a single job whatsoever, and some were already past their 5th year as postdoc (we're talking Physics, Chemistry, Math PhDs). Metis was instrumental in equipping me with all of the industry-relevant skills in a very short amount of time. They were also great with demonstrating the utility of ML/AI and the potential impact that it is likely to create in the next few decades or so. While one can technically learn all of this material by oneself, it would take at least a 9 months even if you did it full-time. It would take you multiple years if you tried learning all of it while doing some job or postdoc, which is why most postdocs can't make that transition by themselves.

Alice Zhao and Roberto Reif were both great instructors with many years of industry experience. I miss the energy from our instructors and cohort. Three weeks into the bootcamp, I remember a few of us discussing about how good the bootcamp was. Fast forward 6 months, and most of us who were looking for a job have found one. Having an advanced degree helps, but not having one is completely okay. I now work for a firm called Soothsayer Analytics (with Microsoft as end-client).

My only minor complaint from the bootcamp is that it doesn't delve too much into SQL or Time-Series Analysis, and a lot of companies like Facebook or Expedia make you go through really tricky SQL questions.

• Matthew Lee  User Photo
    Matthew Lee • Data Scientist Teaching Assistant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

If you are considering a bootcamp option for your career trainsition into data science, some will tell you not to waste your money since there are many free courses online. And yes, this is true if what you are looking for is just learning data science/machine learning concepts and become one of big pile of lackluster data scientice practitioners.

However, what you WILL get out of data science bootcamp is not just learning about concepts, but being a true data scientist who thinks and acts like one. Through rigorous and well-structured curriculum, you will be comfortable breathing data science and be employable upon your graduation. You will learn how to complete end-to-end projects that employers love to talk to you about.

For me, career support and giant network of Metis alumni was what sold me to Metis. You will work with career advisors throughout the bootcamp and after bootcamp until you land a job, and their support has been best in class and superb. Career advisors showed true passion and interest in my success. Also, because all graduates from Metis are phenomenal and employed in top companies, they are essentially branding for you.

To be honest, I was a little skeptical of how much I will get out of bootcamp, but now I can tell you with confidence that you will get so much out of it.

• Jarvin  User Photo
    Jarvin • Data Scientist • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

No, seriously.

This one is amazing. If you can get yourself to the location, you will not regret spending your money here at all. The instructors are extremely knowledgable about the subject matter. The curriculum is great. The tutors are super helpful, and the culture developed here really helps you and your classmates succeed.

DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF NOT GOING HERE!!

• Data Scientist
    - 10/1/2019
    Aisulu   User Photo
    Aisulu • Data Scientist • Verified via LinkedIn

I recently graduated from Data Science full-time Bootcamp. The Bootcamp opened my eyes to learning what is state of the art of Machine Learning and Deep Learning. I had a great experience with career coaches and instructors. Everyone deeply cares about the student's learning experience. I gained a good understanding of stats and all the machine learning models. I graduated two weeks ago and I got three requests for on-site interviews. Definitely open a lot of doors for me. It is sad that they are closing Seattle Metis office. Everyone there did a tremendious job.

• Scott  User Photo
    Scott • Data Scientist, Computer Vision Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Decision

Deciding to transition my career from mechanical engineering and robotics to pursue data science was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. Attending Metis made that process worlds easier than it could have been, however, and I haven't regretted it for a second.

Research

Before enrolling in Metis, I spent months considering all of the options available to me. I researched other local data science bootcamps like Galvanize and General Assembly, as well as online platforms like DataCamp, Dataquest, Udemy, Udacity, and others. I studied, I toured campuses and talked with instructors, career advisors, current and former data science students. I did my best to weigh all the options and make an informed decision, and the process led me to select Metis as the best option available to me to help me successfully transition from where I'd been to where I wanted to be.

Preparation

For personal reasons, I actually deferred starting at Metis by about 6 months after I applied, and in the grand scheme I'm glad that I did. Metis allows students enrolled in the full time data science immersive program to also take a part time online course of their choice for free, so during those 6 months I also took their Statistics for Data Scientists course, which was a great warm up for the challenges to come. I also used this time to complete the Data Scientist curriculum offered by dataquest.io, which I found to be an overall well designed and nicely presented overview of just about every topic that's covered by the Metis DS immersive (this took me about 5 months to complete, dedicating ~10 hours a week to the study on nights and weekends). This was a lot of upfront work, but quitting my job to move off in an uncertain direction seemed like a big risk so I took it seriously. This allowed me to gain a nice foundation of knowledge to build off of while still saving up for an extended period of unemployment, and definitely paid dividends once the bootcamp started.

To anybody thinking about enrolling in a DS bootcamp down the line, I strongly recommend completing an online course first, both to make sure you actually like the work and also to familiarize yourself with the content so you'll be even more successful in the bootcamp experience.

The Bootcamp

The Metis Data Science Immersive was great. My cohort had a particularly small class size, only 6 students with 2 full time instructors, 2 occasional visiting instructors, and a very talented and dedicated career advisor. The staff exceeded my expectations on a regular basis. They're knowledgeable about a wide range of material and are passionate about teaching their students the skills they'll need to succeed. The program is specific to data science, but designed to be flexible enough to approachable and valuable to students coming from a wide range of backgrounds and abilities. The material is taught with a nice combination of theoretical background and practical application, and the project-based nature of the course really makes the level of challenge a function of the student's appetite and ambition. Each project is as hard as you want it to be, you get out what you put in, and your peers and the instructors are there to help and support you every step of the way.

In terms of the level of challenge--everybody's experience and background are different, so I can only speak for myself--for me, it was challenging, but manageable. More than anything, it was intense. For the 12 weeks that the course lasted, I largely put the rest of my life on hold and worked ~80 hours/week on my projects and the curriculum. I was still able to maintain at least 6 hours of sleep most nights, but I was definitely dreaming about my work. The bootcamp was an endurance marathon, for sure. Not quite as bad as the worst parts of college, but close.

But then it ended and I was on the other side. Not only had I shored up my working knowledge of supervised and unsupervised learning, Pandas and scikit-learn, the difference between CNNs and RNNs and LSTMs and more, how to detect overfitting or design a metric or select a model, how to scrape data from the web or deploy a model in a web app--I'd actually done all of these things, and had full projects complete with code, presentations, and blog posts forming a highly visible portfolio that I could use to demonstrate to future employers that I actually know how to do the things on my resume.

What Comes After

The bootcamp is only 12 weeks, and much as it's all you can focus on while you're there, it's the means, not the end. I still had to get a job. While I'd saved up enough beforehand to survive an extended job search, I didn't actually want to drain my savings, so I jumped right in. I set a goal of starting a new job within 3 months of finishing the bootcamp and thought about what it would take to get there. I'd heard it was common for it to take 4-6 weeks or more from application to offer, and the common impression I got from talking to bootcamp grads is that you may well end up submitting dozens or even hundreds of applications before you actually get an offer. In short, finding the right fit is a full time job, and even getting your foot in the door enough to have a conversation with a potential employer takes intention, persistence, and a bit of creativity.

Here, however, is where Metis shines as well. The career counselor, Marybeth, as well as the instructors, were involved and supportive every step of the way, constantly checking in and offering help with everything from resume and cover letter reviews to practice interviews to job referrals and facilitating introductions. As long as you're willing to work, they're willing to help. I took advantage of all of these things and I think they paid off. I aimed to apply to 10 new jobs per week, and though I fell short of that goal, aiming high kept me active. It was slow getting traction, but eventually the pace picked up and I found myself juggling calls with recruiters, scheduling interviews, and having to meticulously track each job application in a spreadsheet to keep it all in order.

I feel fortunate to say that, somehow, my job hunt went pretty much exactly according to plan. 7 weeks after finishing at Metis, I accepted a job offer as a data scientist with a focus in computer vision. I'm genuinely excited about both the work and the company, and the skills and support I got from Metis were instrumental in getting me here. Huge thanks to everybody at Metis for all of the help, and best of luck to everybody out there considering a path like this for yourself!

• Kari  User Photo
    Kari • Machine Learning Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Last year I felt totally stuck in my job, sitting at my computer reading review after review of data science bootcamps. I had a math and stats background, but no real programming knowledge/experience and really needed a sign that this was the right path for me. If this is you, LET ME BE YOUR SIGN.

Metis was truly one of the best decisions I have made for myself and my career. Sure, I could have learned all of the material on my own outside of a bootcamp, but I am the type of person who needs structure, deadlines, and accountability and Metis gave me exactly that. But they didn't stop there! They brought me a huge network of like-minded people with varying backgrounds in a collaborative and supportive learning environment.

The bootcamp was by no means easy, I definitely spent some late nights/weekends working on projects and reviewing material, but if you put in the effort you will learn a ton. I spent several months before the bootcamp not sure if I was ready/qualified to apply. I think the most valuable prep for me was the part time Intro to Data Science course offered by Metis which not only gave a good glimpse into the bootcamp material, but also gave me the confidence to apply right after (and the class is basically free because the cost gets applied to the bootcamp!)

The projects at Metis totally revamped my resume and the career support was extremely helpful. After bootcamp, they connected me with several interview leads specific to my interestes and qualifications.

Overall, if you're looking to get familiar with different ML algorithms and gain lots of Data Science job applicable skills quickly, I definitely recommend applying to Metis!

• Go for it!
    - 8/5/2019
    Dan  User Photo
    Dan • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Metis was life-changing and worth every penny. Great course materials on everything from absolute basics to current state-of-the-art machine learning. Committed Instructors who really care about teaching and helping you succeed. Super smart classmates to collaborate and learn with. Tons of presentation practice opportunities which helps boost confidence. Career support from a million different angles, like networking events, technical mock interviews, resume workshops, and guest speakers. At the end of the day you get out of it what you put in, but if you're willing to work hard, and you have the aptitude for the topics on their entrance exam, Metis gives you everything you need and more to land your first job as a Data Scientist. It's certainly possible to achieve this in other cheaper ways, but with Metis you can be confident you're staying on track, staying motivated, and covering all your bases in one intense, neatly packaged 12-week sprint.

• Aaron  User Photo
    Aaron • Data scientist • Student Verified via GitHub

I had a great experience with Metis. I was looking for a fast-paced, in-person way to transition from a job in survey research and data analysis to a more coding- and ML-focused data science career, and it absolutely delivered. It was also a ton of fun!

Pros:

• Amazing instructors. They know both the theory and the practice of the material they're teaching, and they were always happy to help me work through some weird problem or just figure out what to do next.
    • I loved the project-based curriculum, where I had to do everything yourself: pick a topic, find the data, plan everything out, build a model, make it better, figure out how to present it. I could work on stuff that actually interested me and I had real ownership of the product. At the end of the program I had a real portfolio of stuff I was proud of, not just a list of skills.
    • Focus on presenting. Two to three weeks of project work needs to be condensed into a four-minute presentation, which is tough! At the beginning of the program I thought I hated presenting slide decks, but after five chances to get better at it, I actually really enjoy it.
    • Excellent career support - LinkedIn and resume workshops, mock interviews and whiteboarding practice, great alumni network, and unlimited post-graduation support. They really, really want you to get a job. (I received and accepted a great offer exactly a month after graduating, from a company that saw me present at Career Night.)
    • The challenging application process means that all of my peers were very smart cookies. I learned a lot just from finding out what other students were doing.
    • Tons of extra material available if you want to dive deeper into any particular topic that interests you.

Cons:

• The rapid pace means that all of my projects felt (to me, at least) a little unfinished - there was always some more I wanted to do, but the presentation deadline always hit so fast! I feel like I could have done one less project if it meant more time to work on the others.
    • The focus on preparing for a job means that some interesting topics aren't covered in as much depth. For example, you'll learn the basic theory of deep learning and neural networks, but they don't spend that much time on it, because companies don't really hire boot camp grads to build deep learning systems.
    • The curriculum is constantly under development (which is good!), but that meant that there were occasional inconsistencies, like programming challenges that didn't always exactly relate to what we were covering that week.
  • High recommend!
    - 7/27/2019
    Katie  User Photo
    Katie • data scientist • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came to Metis with a master's in Stats and a background in financial services. I keep taking self-paced online courses in data science and analytics since 2018. I found those courses helpful but not enough to help grow career from data analyst to data scientist, so I was looking for in-person and intensive training in data science. My friend recommended Metis to me. As a mother of two little ones, I was not sure if I could handle Metis's fast-paced bootcamp. But I actually did it and Metis is one of the best experiences in my life. I highly recommend Metis if you are shopping data science training to make a career change!

Knowledgeable Instructors: I was at Chicago bootcamp. My instructors Lara and John are very knowledgeable with rich industry experience and deep understanding of theories. I like the way they instruct data science in a clear and practical way. They are always patient and super helpful.

Well-Structured Curriculum: I enjoy the project-based curriculum which prepares us exactly for what we would do at a data scientist role. We practiced pair programming on a daily basis. We also had weekly coding challenges.

Interesting Projects: I did 5 projects at Metis. Those projects cover regression, classification, clustering, NLP, and time series analysis. All the projects were done in two/three weeks, which means you need to push yourself hard and dive into the machine learning algorithms.

Presentation and Communication Training: I am not a native speaker. My English proficiency is limited and my communication skill has plenty of room to improve. I did presentation for each of my projects. My instructors and advisor gave me invaluable advice on presentation and communication!

Career Support: Metis's career support is amazing. My career advisor Ashley is super helpful! She gave me tons of suggestions and help with resume, cover letter, job hunting strategy, connection with recruiters and alumni, interview skills, post-graduation 1 on 1, etc.

Cohort Peers: Cohort peers are smart and from different background. It's a really good experience to know so many interesting people who have same passion in data science. I enjoy the collaborative environment at Metis. We helped each other out with problems and we keep in touch after graduation.

In short, I would say Metis is a life changing experience to me. High recommend!

• Dave  User Photo
    Dave • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I came to Metis Chicago with a degree in Economics, and several years of work experience in financial services and public sector analytics. I was running into problems at work where I knew there was a way to create models that would give us robust answers and to program sturdy solutions, but I simply didn't know how. I did the bootcamp to learn exactly that- how to use modeling techniques to answer real world questions, and to get much better at programming. I dramatically expanded my knowledge of statistics, modeling, and machine learning, and became a much better programmer. I'm surprised at how much I learned in 3 months. The strong emphasis on real world and business applications of these skills was indispensable, as was the emphasis on communicating my results through visualizations and presentations.

I recommend Metis to anyone who wants to pursue data science and analytics as a career. You actually gain enough knowledge and experience to move your career forward, or to pivot in that direction. The material is fantastic, it's clear that a lot of thought and effort has gone into not only producing it, but revising it to improve it, and curating it to keep it up to date. The instructors are brilliant, they're actual practitioners of the material, and they're excited to have you learn it too. The staff is wonderful, they make the bootcamp an enjoyable place to spend three months, and the career services support is way better than anything your college pretended to give you- it's personal, thorough, ongoing, and effective.

As with everything, you get out what you put in, but there's ample material to strive and learn a lot, and the instructors are supportive and available to help you learn as much as you're willing to. It's not easy, and it shouldn't be- if it were, you wouldn't be learning anything. It takes a significant amount of time and effort, but the payoff is worth it.

• Data Scientist
    - 7/25/2019
    Jake  User Photo
    Jake • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came to Metis with a background in academic research and a graduate degree in biological sciences. Throughout my time as a graduate student I found several use cases for programming and using statistical modeling techniques for ongoing research projects but decided to pursue Metis with the hopes of expanding my knowledge of applying data science in real world business settings. Metis was instrumental in enabling me to drastically improve my statistical modeling and machine learning capabilities in addition to becoming well versed in deriving viable solutions to complex business problems. Furthermore, the emphasis of being able to communicate results in front of both technical and non-technical audiences was incredibly helpful for my development as a data scientist.

I would highly recommend Metis to anyone interested in pursuing data science as a career.  The instructors are phenomenal and will provide you with all the tools and resources necessary for your success. The bootcamp was a significant time investment but was well worth the effort so long as you are willing to put in the time required to learn new concepts. All staff and instructors at Metis are fully committed to your success and I couldn't think of a better environment to kickstart your career as a data scientist.

• Keith  User Photo
    Keith • Data Scientist - Consultant • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came to Metis from a very nontraditional background. I received my bachelor's from a conservatory in New York City, where I studied classical French Horn performance. While there, I had every intention of continuing to play music professionally.

I decided to do Metis for several reasons. After graduating, I spent several years in a variety of positions mostly related to project management and business operations but was looking to get into more analytical/technical professions. I was taking courses on Udacity and Udemy for about a year; while I found those courses helpful and informative, but they were not enough on their own to facilitate a career transition.

I learned about Metis from a close friend of mine who attended. It was a highly transformative experience for him, and he was able to secure a position at a startup where he actually started and is now building the data science team.

Like anything in life, you'll get out of it what you put into it. One thing that makes Metis so great is the community that you join. Some of my closest friends are students that attended my cohort (and even previous and subsequent cohorts). We all helped each other through the challenges that we faced throughout the bootcamp. We learned as much from the instructors as we did from each other by working through our problems together. (Always be willing to ask questions!!!).

While it would be possible for me to (more or less) learn this material on my own, I would not have been to do so as quickly and comprehensively. That said, even if I learned this all on my own, there's no way that I could have achieved the same level of confidence, not without being surrounded by the great instructors, staff, and peers that Metis provides. During the bootcamp, you'll get a clear idea of where the bar is and what you need to do to reach it.

The career counseling was also highly beneficial. They are very honest about the career options you should expect upon completing the bootcamp, and they do their best to connect you with hiring managers and representatives where your unique skills and background will be appreciated.

Without any technical degrees or relevant experience, I was told to expect the possibility of a data analyst position and not a data science position. I had about a 50-50 split in terms of the interviews I was getting between data scientist and analyst positions. Three months after completing the bootcamp, I received two offers from leads generated through the Metis career counselor. One as a Senior Data Analyst and the other as a Data Scientist. I accepted the offer as a Data Scientist.

• Daniel  User Photo
    Daniel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came into the Metis Data Science Bootcamp from a non-STEM background. Undergrad was in History, and grad school was in Architecture/Design. I choose Metis over other options because of the independent project work. It was important to me to work through structuring a project from start to finish, and for the finished products to represent the kind of work I wanted to do in the future. The project-based work resulted in a strong portfolio of projects that transitioned easily into demonstrative work for job interviews and networking.

Metis exposed students to a wide range of concepts, ideas, and strategies during the in-class content. For our own projects, we had freedom to work within certain frameworks to dive deeper into topics or strategies we found more interesting. For the final project, we had a blank canvas to execute a project of our own creation. The synthesis of all the bootcamp's learnings with our own interests was deeply rewarding and genuinely exciting. For a cohort that shared a common set of in-class experiences, the individual project-based work and final project created substantial diversity and differentiated expertise within the student body.

In general, the course and project work exceeded my expectations. Another dimension I could not have predicted was the positive and supportive social dynamic within the cohort.

I received my first data scientist job offer two months after the bootcamp ended through a lead generated by Metis, and the offer I accepted occurred 6 months after the bootcamp through a lead I generated on my own.