metis-logo

Metis

Chicago, Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Metis

Metis offers data science training via 12-week full-time immersive bootcamps, part-time online bootcamp prep courses, and corporate training programs, with campuses in Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and Seattle. The Metis Data Science Bootcamp is designed and taught by industry practitioners and covers Python, Bash, algorithms, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, and interactive data visualization. Graduates will be comfortable designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a data science project, will grasp the fundamentals of data visualization, and will get exposure to modern big data tools and architecture such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. The data science curriculum is delivered through project-based, hands-on, collaborative learning and Metis provides students with on-site instruction, and access to speakers, mentors, events, and job support.

To apply for the Metis Data Science Bootcamp, applicants need to have experience with programming and statistics, and complete 25 hours of academic pre-work. Metis offers a free, self-paced Admissions Prep course for those who need to brush up on their linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python skills. Metis is looking for students eager to get their hands dirty by learning new technologies and solving real-life problems, and who have the skills needed to secure entry-level jobs in the Data Science field. Metis is authorized to enroll international students with M-1 visas across all U.S. campuses, which allow non-U.S. students to attend technical and vocational programs. International students who are already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa may also transfer to Metis. Veterans may apply to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to develop their data science skills at the New York City bootcamp.

Graduates leave fully qualified for data scientist jobs, with placement programs available. Students receive mock interview training, visit company offices, present their projects to employers at Career Day, and have access to an extensive network of speakers, mentors, events, and ongoing career coaching and job placement support.

Recent Metis Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (91) reviews for Metis →

Recent Metis News

Read all (41) articles about Metis →
  • Beginner Python and Math for Data Science

Data Science, Python
    Start Date January 13, 2020
    Considering applying to our Data Science Bootcamp but need to build or brush up on your basic skills first? Our Beginner Python & Math for Data Science course was designed for you, the beginner looking for an introduction to the building blocks essential to developing data science skills or forging a new career in the field. This course sets you on the right track, covering everything you’ll encounter during the bootcamp application process. You’ll learn: Basics of Python programming Common Python libraries: NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib Foundations of linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics Please note, the cost of Beginner Python & Math for Data Science can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Beginner Python & Math for Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
    January 13, 2020 - Online Apply by January 13, 2020
  • Data Science Bootcamp

Start Date January 6, 2020
    LocationNew York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle, Online
    Metis's 12-week accredited data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Sr. Data Scientists bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    We partner with SkillsFund, an innovative financing company that offers financing options for students accepted to our bootcamp. Visit our website to learn more.
    ScholarshipWe offer a $3,000 scholarship for women, members of underrepresented groups, the LGBTQ community, or veterans of U.S. military personnel. We also accept GI Bill® benefits at our NYC campus. Visit thisismetis.com to learn more.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.
    Prep WorkOnce students are enrolled in the bootcamp, they are granted immediate access to our prework materials, a structured program of 25 hours of academic pre-work and up to 35 hours of set-up is designed to get admitted students warmed up and ready to go.
    January 6, 2020 - Chicago Apply by December 2, 2019
    March 30, 2020 - Online Apply by February 24, 2020
  • Introduction to Data Science

Data Science, Git, Python, Machine Learning
    Start Date January 23, 2020
    This course takes you one step closer to becoming a data scientist by offering a subset of the topics covered in our Data Science Bootcamp. You’ll get a well-rounded intro to the core concepts and technologies taught within the bootcamp, including basic machine learning principles and hands-on coding experience. Plus, you’ll put it all to practice through a mini data science project of your own. We’ll cover the following: Data acquisition, cleaning, and aggregation Exploratory data analysis and visualization Feature engineering Model creation and validation Basic statistical and mathematical foundations for data science We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Introduction to Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents should have some familiarity with basic statistical and linear algebraic concepts. In Python, it will be helpful to know basic data structures.
    January 23, 2020 - Online Apply by January 23, 2020

• Data Science Fellow
    - 10/31/2018
    Rachel Zhang  User Photo
    Rachel Zhang • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Instructors at Metis are very experienced, willing to help with project questions and discuss ideas all the time.

The staff are super nice and helpful as well.

Great overall experience for data science training!

• Winnie  User Photo
    Winnie • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Metis turned me into a Data Scientist! I worked as a business analyst for about two years and had some exposure to analytics. But I lacked hands-on experience and a good understanding of machine learning. I tried to change my career path on my own but didn't have much luck. Trying to self-teach and rebrand, all on my own, was daunting and very stressful. I'm really glad that I found Metis and decided to commit to it.

Yes, you might be able to find all the materials online and learn everything on your own. But what makes Metis such a good experience is the instructors and career advisors. They really do care about your success! The instructors are not only good at explaining concepts but also have a lot of industry experience. I learned a lot about how to approach projects and design metrics from all the discussions I had with my instructors.

The bootcamp itself is tough and the job search after graduation is not any easier. Metis offers a lot of coaching and support to help me get to where I am today. Also, going through the job search process with my classmates provided a very crucial support network, and made it much easier to stick with it. I got multiple interviews through alumni referral and eventually landed a role through one of these referrals. The Metis community is incredible and I know it will be there to help me navigate through any challenges I have in my career.

• Chintan  User Photo
    Chintan • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I joined Metis after reading reviews on websites such as this (Coursereport), and after attending one of their Meetups. In spite of all the 4-5 star reviews that I had seen, Metis beat all my expectations! Let me elaborate.

I earned my PhD in Experimental Chemistry at the University of Chicago. While my research was somewhat computational in nature, I was not well-equipped to get started with a career in Data Science. If you're from academia, you have to understand that universities have no interest or incentive to prepare their cheap-labor postdocs for real jobs. In spite of having science PhDs, half of my colleagues in academia weren't able to find a single job whatsoever, and some were already past their 5th year as postdoc (we're talking Physics, Chemistry, Math PhDs). Metis was instrumental in equipping me with all of the industry-relevant skills in a very short amount of time. They were also great with demonstrating the utility of ML/AI and the potential impact that it is likely to create in the next few decades or so. While one can technically learn all of this material by oneself, it would take at least a 9 months even if you did it full-time. It would take you multiple years if you tried learning all of it while doing some job or postdoc, which is why most postdocs can't make that transition by themselves.

Alice Zhao and Roberto Reif were both great instructors with many years of industry experience. I miss the energy from our instructors and cohort. Three weeks into the bootcamp, I remember a few of us discussing about how good the bootcamp was. Fast forward 6 months, and most of us who were looking for a job have found one. Having an advanced degree helps, but not having one is completely okay. I now work for a firm called Soothsayer Analytics (with Microsoft as end-client).

My only minor complaint from the bootcamp is that it doesn't delve too much into SQL or Time-Series Analysis, and a lot of companies like Facebook or Expedia make you go through really tricky SQL questions.

• Carlie  User Photo
    Carlie • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

TL;DR: Metis was amazing. The instructors set the tone for excitement, grit, intelligence, and success. The projects were invaluable experiences for learning so many data science skills and for using as examples of work in interviews/applications. The curriculum is as close to real-world experience as a bootcamp can get. A+ to Metis

I found Metis after several months of knowing I needed a career change and searching for the right way to jumpstart my return to tech after two years of completely unrelated work. I graduated undergrad as a mechanical engineer, worked as a research engineer, but then took a hiatus after moving to Seattle and worked as an assistant manager at a restaurant. I learned about data science through friends already working in tech in Seattle and realized I already had some of the skills from mechanical engineering and working in research, but I didn't have any recent relevant experience that would allow me to get a job anywhere. That's when I found Metis. I compared it against a couple other bootcamps, but honestly there was no comparison. Metis was an actual data science bootcamp - not just a coding bootcamp. Metis promised instructors with real-world experience and work-life balance. Metis promised a portfolio of work based on five data science projects compelted during the bootcamp. Metis was accreditted. And Metis was small, but already had excited students and a reputation for being hands-on, real-world-reflecting, and full of direct career support.

I was not disappointed. The application process was challenging, but appropriately so. My engineering background provided me with the proper math and thinking skills and I was accepted into the winter cohort of 2017. Then I had to complete the prework before starting in September; that was also very challenging, but totally necessary and I highly encourage you to do the prework if you want to do well. I had no prior programming experience other than Matlab, but I was able to teach myself enough Python in the month before starting to be completely capable during the bootcamp. That leads to another piece of advice: you get out of Metis what you put in. In other words, Metis is good for you if you're willing to put in the effort and the hours and learn a ton.

My final note, regarding my Metis experience, would be that the people made it what it is. The instructors were amazing; so intelligent, so in touch with real-world data science, so excited to be there and teach and guide, and just so overall great people. The rest of the cohort was amazing too; the application process and just the type of people Metis attracts includes only intelligent, passionate, and driven people. This was what drove the learning environment and what truly helped me get excited, challenge myself, and succeed.

For those of you interested in where you could end up: I am now a data scientist at a tech consulting company in Redmond. Because of my more recent graduation date, lack of an advanced degree, and minimal relevant paid experience, I began my role as an intern at the company. Do not let this deter you; the internship was invaluable especially after a particularly grueling application period (where I was applying to almost five companies each day for several months). I learned a ton during the internship and it was an opportunity to take risks in a lower pressure environment.

• Cyrus Rustomji  User Photo
    Cyrus Rustomji • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Being a math major, I wanted a deeper understanding of data science at an application based level, which I knew a masters program would not achieve. I looked across all the different bootcamps, and I found Metis as the only accredited course. The quality of instructors attracted me the most to Metis, and it is the only bootcamp that makes students complete 5 end-to-end projects. This fell in line with my urge to learn data science at an application based level. Each instructor has previous experience in the data science field from work to educational experience. These instructors made learning these complex topics easier to understand by applying basic real world analogies to them. Additionally, the instructors went around to students every day and made sure there were no lingering questions as a group and 1:1 basis.

Deciding to do Metis was a huge step for me, the financial, time, and educational undertaking were all factors in play when I decided to join Metis. Financially, Metis is the same across all bootcamps, and it is cheaper than completing a data science masters program. The time commitment is ideal as it is just 3 months; however, I would not recommend doing any job (part time included) with this course as you get more out of the course by solely focusing on the course itself. The educational undertaking seemed questionable at first but with the strong instruction from the instructors they cleared up any loose ends.

Regarding the course, I would highly encourage starting the pre-course work as soon as you receive it and make sure you understand each topic well. This will help you in every mornings pair problems and save time on your projects. One thing that helped me learn the data science algorithms better was that I would watch Andrew Ng’s videos on the topic we are learning for that day before class. This helped me absorb the information better than learning it for the first time in class. I also recommend completing the challenges that are given by the instructors. These are optional, but by completing a few of them, I was able to gain a stronger understanding of each topic.

Metis’s career support is extremely strong. The career support staff makes sure to get you connected with individuals at companies that you are interested in. The staff helps you get prepared for interviews by setting up frequent mock interviews. Joining Metis was an overall positive experience, and it changed my life for the better.

• Anthony  User Photo
    Anthony • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I began my search to build skills towards data science without any real knowledge of what specific subjects or topics I needed to understand in the field, other than knowing a programming language such as Python. I researched various programs that offered a variety of courses but noticed that Metis was purely dedicated to data science. I looked over the courses (and accompanied curriculum) provided by Metis and was initially stuck between taking the Introduction to Data Science, or the Beginner Python & Math courses. I reached out to the team at Metis, and had an informative and helpful conversation with Amy Ramnath, and ultimately decided that the Beginner Python & Math course best suited my needs as a beginner looking to get his feet wet.

I took flight on my journey through the 6-week online Beginner Python & Math course from May 21st to June 27th twice a week, 3-hours per lecture, with Garrett Hoffman and Roberto Reif. Both Garrett and Roberto were fantastic teachers who are passionate about the subject matter, and whom make themselves available to assist students in answering questions or providing professional suggestions and recommendations towards student goals. There is copious material to cover and review throughout the 6-week course to get you rolling in the right direction, and as with any educational course, personal time allocated to studying and practicing outside of normal lecture hours should be anticipated and expected. Although the course material was dense, I feel much more confident and comfortable knowing that I've been provided a breadth of information and knowledge to establish a foundation to build on using Python and Jupyter notebook along with NumPy, Pandas, and Matpotlib packages, and understanding what subjects and topics in math (Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probability, and Statistics) are common to data science. A nice perk of the online course is that the lecture sessions were recorded, and could be reviewed at my own convenience if I were unable to attend lecture or needed to review material again.

Overall, this was an exceptional course that has provided me with more insight into understanding what baseline subjects I need to understand to begin working towards my goal of starting a data science career.

• Allen  User Photo
    Allen • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I think I may be of a slightly different variety than many students and attendees.

I am an adult undergraduate student in my Junior year of an applied mathematics degree. I attended my course as part of an independent study contract with my university.

I attended the 6-week Math and Python for Data Science program. My instructors were Gordon Dri and Roberto Reif.

In my experience, Gordon and Roberto as well as other support staff were extremely attentive, professional, courteous, and warm. Plus, in class, there was some humor to each lesson.

My class was online via video. It is a one-way video, so only the teachers can be seen by the students. This was super convenient. We could communicate via chat (which worked very well), and I could work from anywhere at all and still receive one on one help when necessary.

The iPython notebooks that are provided by Metis can be printed to create your own personal reference manual and can be customized and expanded.

I learned quite a bit more than anticipated, though I was thoroughly familiar with all of the mathematics that were covered.

I’m grateful for the experience. This stuff is going to be invaluable for research and lab work.

I would like to have seen more/deeper mathematics covered using python, but this is a relatively short beginners course with a specific application, and I’m leaving with more than enough tools to do it myself (which is the best way for me to really learn).

• Dan Taber  User Photo
    Dan Taber • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Doing Metis was one of the hardest decisions I ever made. The time/financial commitment is tough to swallow for anyone! That said, it’s one of the best decisions I ever made, as Metis paid off in every way you could imagine.

Several peers have captured the benefits of Metis here, so I’ll try to avoid repeating them and focus on what stood out to me personally …

The obvious doubt about a bootcamp was, “Why pay thousands of dollars?? I can learn all this online.” But Metis provided so many intangibles - career support, alumni network, mentorship from instructors, friendship from diverse peers - that you can’t get from an online course. Not to mention improving your chances to get a job. Prior to Metis, I tried to transition from academia to industry, but with zero success; I couldn’t get a single tech company to even consider me. Within 2 months after finishing Metis, though, I received multiple job offers and accepted one with a company that I’m thrilled to be at.

The project-based curriculum, with the guidance of experienced instructors, is the ideal way to learn. Aside from giving you a strong portfolio of material to use on the job market, the projects teach you to learn and apply new material quickly. In my first job after Metis, I was much more confident learning new tools because Metis had prepared me for the fast-paced learning you need to be a data scientist.

I can’t emphasize enough how committed the Metis instructors and staff are to students. They go above and beyond to not only teach you data science but provide mentorship, career support, and emotional support. The bootcamp and subsequent job search can be an emotional roller-coaster, so their support is instrumental.

Finally, one of my favorite things about Metis is that they don’t sugarcoat the challenges of the bootcamp or make grandiose, inflated claims about what the outcome will be. Getting a job in data science is very, very hard. Metis acknowledges it’s hard, doesn’t make any wild promises, but gives you every resource to succeed and remains committed to their alumni long after you graduate. They treat you like you’re part of their family.

My biggest piece of advice - think carefully about how you need to personalize the Metis experience to suit your needs. Everybody comes in with different backgrounds and life circumstances. There’s no single formula that works for everyone; when making decisions like picking projects, deciding when to start your job search, etc., you need to consider that what’s best for you. Whatever you choose, Metis staff are going to be there to help you through it.

• Jannie Chang  User Photo
    Jannie Chang • Data Scientist • Student Verified via LinkedIn

About a year ago, I was in your position. I was reading reviews about data science bootcamps and weighing my options.  At the time, I was a full-time lawyer (no formal STEM background), watching MOOCs in the evenings and teaching myself python on the weekends.  I attended Metis in Chicago during the spring of 2017.  Within a month of graduating, I was recruited by a growing startup. Since then, I have been prototyping new tools, working with engineers, and enjoying the tech industry. This transition would have been impossible without Metis, its encouraging staff, its supportive instructors, and the genuine connections I made through Metis.

Having worked in my new profession for the past 6 months, I have a different perspective and new appreciation for my experience at Metis. The curriculum is rigorous, but well-structured and current. Our dedicated instructors, senior data scientists Zach & Seth, updated our lessons to tailor them to the needs of our cohort. With this foundation, I have had no problems learning other algorithms and tackling new projects at work.

Not only did Metis teach me to think like a data scientist, but more importantly, it also taught me to be a data scientist. Specifically, my transition from the bootcamp to my job was almost seamless. The bootcamp is full time 9 to 6, emulating the work day of a data scientist.  We did standups, pair problems, completed projects in short deadlines, and presented our findings. Although, I wish we had dedicated more time to unit-testing and other “best practices” for collaboration with engineers, the instructors appropriately incorporated practices inspired by their own experiences and those common in the industry.

While the instructors well-prepared me for my new career, it’s the dedicated staff, program manager Nathan and career advisor Ashley, who got me this career. Metis regularly held events, hosted speakers, and organized the all-important Career Day to expose the cohort to all of Metis’ corporate and employer contacts. (I met my boss at an open house!)  All the career workshops, including the essential mock interviews, were so well organized and thorough I was in fighting shape to apply, interview, and negotiate for my job.

Metis is the “marathon” of career transitions—intense, exhausting, longer than I thought I could handle, but when it’s over, so rewarding.  After a quick but demanding 3 months, I left Metis with friends, a taste for junk food (so much free pizza & cake), mentors, an impressive portfolio of 5 projects, skills that I will be able to leverage for the rest of my life, and entrance into the most exciting industry.

• Susan Fung  User Photo
    Susan Fung Verified via LinkedIn

I was part of the first cohort on the Seattle campus and came from a neuroscience background with bench science experience. To echo other reviews here, Do The Prework and do not procrastinate on that! My programming skills weren't as strong as the rest of my cohort and I likely spent more time on the prework as well as weekly HWs. The curriculum is standardized across campuses and the instructors prepare quite a bit to bring the material to life. I didn't even mind when we ran into technical difficulties when code failed or during installation days because it's a peek into real-life debugging a stack trace and troubleshooting.

With the bootcamp being project-focused, you are allowed to be as creative as you want. You will learn to fail fast and to love (or accept) the MVP. Between lectures, HW, and projects, this is a very intense, immersive program with regard to your time, and mental and emotional energy. During these 12 weeks, I'd say I spent an average of 12 hours a day on activities relating to the bootcamp, which includes attending Metis-sponsored speaker talks and regional networking events, so the access to resources is awesome. And in the end, it does make the payoff feel incredible.

My classmates were and are a valuable source of support. The staff is responsive and quite supportive and it's not that campus staff only interacts with their "home campus"; it's nice that you can learn from different career advisors and instructors if necessary. The alumni network is also a great source to bounce off ideas, learn about resources, keep up to date on job postings, and be silly!

What I also really appreciated about my Metis experience is that they help you not only learn new skills and how to apply them, but they helped me (re)discover skills that I enjoy and am good at, helping me polish those skills.

I am giving the curriculum less than 5 stars is that while there was great coverage to ML, there wasn't much time devoted to (advanced) SQL. A lot of data will already be housed in databases (at big, established companies) and relies on accessing it, rather than scraping it from outside sources. Talking to the next cohort, I think they remedied that, so 5 stars to listening to feedback!

• Jeff  User Photo
    Jeff • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Before: I had a bachelors in engineering and a law degree. I had worked in a number of different fields and didn't find a job that was fulfilling. I wanted to work on machine learning and NLP, and a bootcamp seemed like the fastest way to get there. From my research Metis seemed to be at exactly the right level for me. I didn't have an applied math Phd, but had a good amount of technical experience and math abilities that I wanted to take further.

Application: I had plenty of background in calculus, stats, and linear algebra, and some python experience. The application was challenging and multi-faceted, requiring math, coding skills, and some product sense/presentation skills as well. Looking back, it was important to have a competitive admissions process, as it allowed us to establish a baseline level of knowledge and hit the ground running on the first day.

Prework: Definitely do the prework. Unless you have been working as a data scientist before the bootcamp (unlikely if you are in the bootcamp), you will need to do the prework. I used it as a reference during the bootcamp as well. The more deeply you get the prework, the more time you can spend during the bootcamp on your project and more complex concepts.

Bootcamp: Full-time for three months. Days start with a coding challenge, followed by lectures, followed by project time. 5 projects in the bootcamp and a presentation to go along with each. Blogs were also encouraged, but not required for each of the projects. Classmates were diverse, thoughtful and supportive - in the 14 students we had, we had students straight out of school, and Phds who had worked in research for several years.  The instructors were knowledgeable and made themselves available after class hours to answer any questions. There is definitely a lot to learn, but I found that there was a good balance between the theoretical, the practical, and practicing communicating using data with a business person/colleague/potential employer. Beyond the assigned work, nobody will be pushing you to go above and beyond, though, so you definitely get more out of it the more you put in.

Career support: Great career support that led to lots of positive effects (more interviews, more positive feedback from employers) as I am going through the job search process. The alumni network is very helpful in the job search as well.

Job: It's only been a few weeks since the bootcamp finished, but I have a good number of leads at companies that I would have been ecstatic to work at before the bootcamp started. When I interviewed, I felt technically prepared even when it was with teams staffed entirely of Phds. I'm confident I'll find a fit in a position I'll be very happy with. I don't think it's reasonable to expect any three month bootcamp to be a silver bullet that will get you a job at Google, but Metis definitely made a huge difference in focusing me towards an exciting data science career.

• Zoe  User Photo
    Zoe • Data Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before: Psychology major with eclectic work experience for the six years since I'd graduated. Decided I didn't have enough concrete skills/experience to land a job that would be challenging and interesting enough, and I didn't trust myself to learn on my own. Decided on a bootcamp because of the structure and network it would provide, and considered data science because it seemed more niche than coding.

Application: I wasn't set on attending Metis, but when the application was harder than I expected, I was determined to get in. With virtually zero coding experience, I had to learn everything on the spot, and honestly that application was the most empowering weekend of my life. And I got in. Whoo!

Prework: I worked right up until the bootcamp started, so it was challenging to finish up there while completing the prework (I enrolled three weeks before the start date). However, the application plus the prework meant that I was prepared for the bootcamp. Would have been really hard to do the bootcamp without the prework.

Bootcamp: Full-time for three months. My boyfriend was annoyed that I was always working on projects, and I probably would have done better on my projects if I'd been single, but alas. Classmates were very supportive (I didn't experience any competitiveness between people). My cohort was unusually small (19 people), which was nice, and the small size of Metis overall meant it felt very personal, but the WeWork environment provided more people to chat with, ping pong, and coffee. Class material was great, and A LOT. Every day we "learned" something that I could have spent at least a week playing around with. There's really too much to learn, and the hardest part of the bootcamp was figuring out how to prioritize between projects, challenges, reviewing lectures, doing the extra readings, and experimenting on my own. The projects were challenging but essential for learning and also provided good presentation experience. Although both of my instructors were very knowledgeable and eager to help, the quality of instruction varied; I think Metis needs to spend more time preparing instructors (because intelligent people don't always teach well, especially not on such a wide variety of tools). Daily pair coding was awesome for the learning and the social aspect, and occasional cohort+staff activities were nice too. Definitely not an easy program! But like most things, you get what you put in, and of course YMMV.

Career support: Awesome career support throughout the bootcamp and beyond. Headshots, resume help, mock technical and non-technical interviews, speakers from the field, etc. Luckily I got a job pretty quickly and didn't need that much help after the bootcamp, because I think supporting the current cohort and the one that just graduated is too much for one person and she was sometimes hard to connect with once the new cohort started.

Job: I got a job! It's a data/backend engineer for an advertising/marketing agency. I don't use any data science per se, but I LOVE my job and I definitely could not have gotten it without the coding I learned at Metis and the opportunity of Metis Career Day, where I met my current manager.

Feel free to call/text me to hear more! 917-583-5942

• Aaron Wiegel  User Photo
    Aaron Wiegel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before attending Metis, I was a postdoctoral researcher in chemistry who was not feeling academic research anymore. I took some online classes in data science and thought it seemed like a cool and interesting field, but online courses can only take you so far. Also, I lacked enough connections to actual data scientists to really get a job in the field. I got into and applied to several different boot camps to help me bridge this gap, but I really appreciated that Metis did not try to oversell me on my prospects afterwards. Some of the other boot camps could really learn from this no nonsense approach.

Metis helped me bridge that gap between academia and the tech industry through both the data science cirriculum and career workshops. The cirriculum starts out much more lecture focused, but quickly turns to applying that knowledge to actual projects. Lectures include both descriptions of the math behind various algorithms and programming demonstrations showing practical programming/computing skills like web scraping, SQL, and using AWS. Career-wise, weekly workshops helped you to get started on improving your resume, LinkedIn profile, and networking strategies. I felt it was extremely focused and helpful, if a bit intense! (they don't call it a boot camp for no reason.)

By the end of the program, you have a portfolio of projects covering the major areas of data science (Supervised Learning: regression and classification, Unsupervised Learning/Natural Language Processing) and your final passion project. These let you start networking with other data scientists in the field and give you something to talk about!

The other people in my cohort were also wonderful. It was a pleasure to interact with people of such diverse professional and personal backgrounds. I felt like I not only met a bunch of professional contacts but also some great new friends.

The boot camp just ended last week, but I have met so many new contacts that I don't think it will be too long to find the right position. The boot camp also offers indefnite career support and lets you return to the office as much as you need. Even a lot of the alumni who already found jobs come back on a regular basis and offer career/interview advice if you ask.

The only thing I think could be better about the curriculum is that there could have been more feedback about projects/challenges. It seemed like it came a bit late or inconsistently. Also, we went over the basics of Big Data tools like Hadoop/Spark, but it felt a little out of place since we never used it.

The one last thing I would add is that this is called a boot camp for a reason. Be sure that you are mentally and emotionally prepared, because while it was a wonderful experience, it was a very intense one. I'm glad that my cohort was such an amazing, positive, and passionate group of people to help me (and everyone else) get through this experience.

• Great experience
    - 7/14/2017
    Tim Martin  User Photo
    Tim Martin • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prior to attending Metis I was a data analyst for a market research company. At the time, I was ready to leave my company for a new position, and so I conducted a search for new analyst or data scientist roles. I had trouble finding a good opportunity, and I found that I wasn't competitive for the data scientist positions to which I applied.

Metis helped me change that. After 3 months of bootcamp and a couple more of job searching, I got a GREAT data scientist position.

Metis is valuable because you learn a lot, and you apply that knowledge to concrete projects that show organizations what you can do. You should end the bootcamp with presentations, github repositories, and blog posts that form a portfolio to help you get hired as a data scientist.

The Metis network of alumni, staff, and companies that often hire Metis grads is also indispensable in hooking you into the data science scene and making opportunities known to you.

To comment on the day-to-day aspects of the bootcamp, the curriculum is full of useful material, and each morning's pair programming assignments really complement the material that we learn in the lectures. My one complaint here is that some of the algorithms and code examples were not explained very clearly in the lectures; I think specific lectures could have been a lot better. That said, lectures are where the learning starts, but then you continue by using the material and asking follow-up questions, so there's always opportunity to understand what you didn't before.

The instructors were great. They're very knowledgeable and always willing to help. During my job search, one of the instructors volunteered to help me prepare for a presentation that I had to give in an interview. Another instructor agreed to drill me on algorithm questions for an hour in preparation for another interview. I'm super grateful for their help.

Lastly, the individual career coaching was incredibly helpful. It's just great to have an experienced person giving you advice and helping you practice for interviews and whatnot. My only gripe here is that the career coach seems like she's got a few too many balls in the air at one time, so I had to be more aggressive about following up on certain things. On the upside, Metis seems to be very interested in feedback and making improvements, so I expect that issues will be ameliorated over time.

All in all, Metis was well worth the cost. I was able to make the career leap into data science that I wanted to make, as well as meet a great group of friends and colleagues!

• Ana Gentle  User Photo
    Ana Gentle • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I finished the Data Science Bootcamp in April of 2017 and it was a great experience! Making a career change is difficult and Metis did an excellent job of preparing me to enter the field. The technical skills and network I built have been invaluable and certainly worth the time and effort the program demands.

If you're interested in reading a more in-depth review, check out my blog post.

• Ana • Engineer • Student

I completed Metis' data science bootcamp in April of 2017. Overall, I had a fantastic experience and learned a ton. Don't be fooled by the "bootcamp" style of learning. The curriculum is rigorous and the coursework moves quickly. You'll do well if you come prepared to put the work in. I wrote a full review of my experience at Metis on my blog: https://wellandwired.com/blog/metis-data-science-bootcamp-review

After completing the program I started a job at Amazon and have had the opportunity to be a part of some amazing and impactful projects!

• Jhonsen Djajamuliadi • Student
    This is my review of METIS Data Science (DS) Bootcamp experience in Seattle, winter session, Jan-Mar 2019.

I really enjoyed my bootcamp experience! Everyday I was coding daily, learning new concepts, and implementing machine learning (ML) algorithms into various projects pertaining to my interests. It was a blast!!!

Some things that I really enjoyed: (1) The format emphasizes creating design-to-product pipelines for data science projects. Having done 4 independent projects, I felt ready to tackle new problems, (2) my instructors, Chad and Cliff, provided a good mix of academic and pragmatic approaches to learning data science and completing DS projects, (3) after completing the bootcamp and reviewing class material for a couple weeks, I felt ready for interviews, (4) we practiced pair programming on a daily basis, (5) I felt a comaraderie spirit with my peers. (6) in terms of career support, our counselor (Marybeth) was very helpful. She helped me with everything I needed, from resume/cover letter review, job hunting strategy, connecting with other recruiters, etc.

Some things to improve (perhaps only for my cohort): (1) having code reviews or detailed project reviews with students would help I think, (3) I would’ve wanted to have more whiteboarding practice (this one didnt come up until the end, during mock interviews), (3) learning more DS use cases for various business problems would’ve really helped.

Advise for future students:
    • The bootcamp provides sufficient (elementary) overview of fundamental machine learning algorithms, at least enough for entry-level data jobs.  However, I’d advise future students to also spend some time learning from external resources (books, blogs, etc.) to get a deeper understanding of each concept.
    • If you intend to join the bootcamp, look up the curriculum ahead of time and think about what kinds of projects you might want to tackle based on your interests.
    • Unless you already have previous programming experience, it would be good to learn python programming and other CS fundamentals yourself.
    • Just keep in mind that career transitioning is not as easy as you might imagine. If you are trying/planning to do it, I think your quickest way to getting a DS role is to leverage the domain knowledge you have from your previous career and then implement DS/ML into your field. Also, I learned that becoming a data scientist is more like a marathon, rather than a sprint.
  • Russell Myers • Graduate

Metis is an exceptionally well-run program whose staff is stocked with talented, dedicated professionals. The program is fast-paced and intense, covering both breadth and depth across the data science topic spectrum. The quality of students is also exceptional, which provides an amazing secondary learning opportunity.

• Nora • Data Scientist • Graduate

I was impressed by how well the course was designed for people at many levels. Since it is a project-based curriculum, you were free to bite off whatever you felt like you could chew. For example, those who were CS majors could dive a little more deeply into new packages/techniques since the coding wasn't as much of a hurdle, whereas those with less coding experience could stick with what we discussed in lecture. I loved the balance of project time and lecture time and felt like it was the best way I've ever been able to learn.

It is fast paced, and to grasp everything that is discussed would be a challenge for almost anyone. However, you get a great understanding of the topics/techniques that you choose to use in your projects. Interviewers know you wont know everything, and simply want to see that you have a deep knowledge of techniques that you actually implemented.

I learned a lot from my classmates. Everyone was always willing to help others if they felt like they had more experiences with a topic. I think the admissions process selects for people they think will be successful working data scientists, which includes traits of personability and teamwork.

The careers team was so knowledgeable and supportive. The instructors were so smart and invested in your learning. I learned more in these 3 months than I did in any year of college (technically and about networking/job search/careers) and I enjoyed it much more.

• Jack • Graduate

I wouldn't have been able to revamp my career without Metis. They were able to teach alot of different concepts fairly in depth (within reason for a 12 week program) and their focus on 5 projects I believe is the difference maker for Metis. It allows you to show employees you are relatively ready to perform well for their company. The extra job assistance post Metis was better than what my University had to offer and I ended up with a solid job after Metis. I highly recommend this program to anyone who is trying to break into the Data Science industry.

• Would Do it Again
    - 4/21/2019
    Luke • Graduate

Overall, I'm glad I did Metis. I would not have gotten the job I did without it.

Going in to the bootcamp I was unsure of my decision to enroll. A cursory Google search of coding bootcamps yields a mixed bag when it comes to tech professionals' views on them. A lot of people see bootcamps as a cash grab that churn out low-quality candidates. I was worried about being stigmatized for having a bootcamp on my resume.

For the most part, hiring managers are open to bootcamp graduates. This isn't universally true, but it wasn't a huge hurdle when it came to the job search. The biggest hurdle is the fact that you presumably won't have relevant experience on your resume. In several cases, I felt like I had met the technical bar for a position but was passed over for someone with more experience. This is likely to be a reality in your job search, but it doesn't make getting a job impossible.

That being said, I do believe there is a soft ceiling for jobs you'll be competitive for based on your background. It's not easy to get the Data Scientist title without a graduate degree. Even the more advanced Data Analyst positions seem to be pretty consistently filled by people with an M.S. in a STEM field. The point I’m trying to make is this: if you’re coming in with very little technical experience and no graduate degree, you’re realistically going to be shooting for a Data Analyst role, not a Data Scientist one.

There’s nothing wrong with that though! Getting a Data Analyst role then moving to a Data Scientist role in 2-3 years is a tried and true path in to data science.

Anyways, that’s enough about the reality of the job search. The bootcamp itself was actually a very fun experience. The project-based curriculum is effective in both its delivery of the content and in setting you up to get a job. Being forced to come up with a solution to every problem you encounter is the best way to learn. Prior to the bootcamp I found myself giving up when I encountered something really hard. Having a deliverable and a deadline keeps you a lot more accountable than self-study.

I was expecting to be miserable for the three months of the bootcamp, but it really wasn’t that bad. I’d expect to be putting in 50-60 hours a week, but your days are quite varied. Your mornings are spent doing pair problems and lectures, and your afternoons are spent working. You have 4-5 hours to work on projects every day when you’re on-site – you would be surprised what you can accomplish over a few weeks when you’re throwing that much time in to projects.

The career support was wonderful. Marybeth was super helpful and supportive for all my job needs, but you need to meet her halfway – the career services are not your concierge job lead service.

I’ve come so far in the 6 months since I started the bootcamp. If you enroll, expect lots of personal and professional/technical growth. To be honest, I don’t think I was capable of being as serious as I needed to be about moving in to a more technical job. Metis gave me the structure and help I needed.

One final word of advice: you really do get out of Metis what you put in. This doesn’t mean that you have to go super far out of your comfort zone in terms of the effort you’re putting in, but it does mean you have to be serious about getting in to Data Science. When you encounter problems, you need to be willing to troubleshoot them yourself rather than immediately ask for help. You need to be willing to hold yourself accountable for applying to jobs. The job search can be really tough and downright demoralizing, but if you have persistence you will eventually get where you want to be. Overall, I highly recommend Metis.

• Andrew • Financial Data Scientist • Graduate

Core data science (and I mean rigorous statistical analysis and predictive modeling), felt so out of reach before Metis. There's so many resources for learning Python and SQL out there (Udacity and Mode Analytics being my favs, respectively) - that I wanted material and curriculum from a bootcamp that matched the cost of attendance. In 3 months, Metis made it worth my while - enabling my growth from pivot table repots in excel and simple sql queries all the way to Natural Language Processing on unstructured text and Deep Learning on Cloud Deployments.

The bootcamp option isn't for the faint of heart - and my personal thirst for challenge and rigor was satisfied. The immersive experience was so valuable to me for several reasons:

(a) The "guided tour" experience. There's too many resources for learning data science, and it's helpful to have experienced professionals vet the resources for you. Part of being a good data scientist is knowing what you can down prioritize for learning later. By immersing myself in the best practices and skills that Metis instructors have determined most useful on the job, I generated plenty of leads and had secured an industry role within 3 months of graduating the bootcamp.

(b) Legitimized work experience. It's credible to potential employers to see accredited Metis experience on my resume, with work references from my instructors and cohort members to further validate my experience to potential employers. Whenever a potential employer asked me to list references for someone I worked with, I had a list of capable data scientists that could vouch for me. This set me up for plenty of technical assessments and technical interviews.

(c) Connections to a learning network. Metis alumni are growing with every cohort! Data scientists are a minority compared to Software Engineers, and I was told early on that it wouldn't be unusual to work alone or on small teams on the job. That said, over a year later I'm still leaning on the community to keep my updated as data science tools and methods improve. Post-bootcamp, I learned so much more from my cohort and other alums from soliciting help and resource sharing. If I had done all the same projects by myself, then I wouldn't have had the breadth of exposure or network to be as successful a data scientist as I am.

I can't stress enough how worth it this experience was for me.

• Dana • Data Scientist • Student

I completed my Metis bootcamp in December 2018 in Seattle.  What an amazing 12 week experience.  Every person in the 16 student group was smart, committed and caring as were the Metis staff as well.  We were a diverse group in ages and backgrounds but everyone was there to get the most out of the 12 week experience.  We were together in the classroom from 9am-5pm, 5 days a week.  That made for an amazing energy.

We learned a lot but it's bootcamp and the information comes at you fast.  This meant we were on a very steep learning curve which is pretty exciting.  Be prepared to be all in for the 12 weeks to get the most out of your time at Metis and then spend time afterwards learning the stuff you missed along the way.

• Andrea • Business Data Analyst • Graduate

I attended Metis in the summer of 2018 and I could not be happier with my Metis experience. The instruction was state of the art and the staff was accessible, helpful, and supportive.

Probably the most important feature of a data science bootcamp is the quality of the instruction and Metis instructors are excellent. One of my instructors had relatively a stronger background in computer science and the other a relatively stronger background in math and they complemented each other perfectly. The classroom culture was collaborative and supportive. Learning from peers was highly encouraged and practiced daily. Every morning, we completed a pair programming exercise; this was an incredible opportunity to learn from peers who came from diverse backgrounds and had incredibly advanced and varied skillsets. Moreover, updates to the curriculum are continuously being implemented such that the curriculum stays on the cutting edge of data science.

I also found the way the curriculum was structured to be highly effective. The curriculum is project-based and covers topics from exploratory data analysis, to regression to classification to unsupervised learning and finally to a passion project of students’ choosing. Students complete a project for each of these units. Metis does not provide the data sources or provide students with a pre-packaged template for the projects. Students have to go out and scrape their own data or otherwise obtain data from publicly available sources and determine (with guidance from instructors of course) what direction they want to take their projects. Students’ diverse backgrounds and interests are then reflected in the choice of projects; in my cohort alone, student projects ranged from predicting the stock market (of course), to predicting good locations for cat cafes, to natural language processing of religious texts, and predicting locations and severity of wildfires. I found this project-based approach to be highly effective. In contrast to other data science programs which are centered around only one capstone project, Metis’ curriculum allowed for students to take deep dives into each of these topics.

Career support was also extremely effective. From the careers team, I learned how to update my resume and LinkedIn profile to be consistent with industry standards and even practiced in person and technical interviews. I eventually got my first job as a result of a tip from one of the career’s staff. To me, this indicated just how well the career’s staff knows their students; they knew that this opportunity would be a good fit for me and indeed it was.

Of course, Metis is not cheap but none of these bootcamps are. When I made the decision to attend Metis, I knew that I was making an investment in my future and at the time, I predicted (because hey I am a scientist and scientists like to make predictions) that I would have a strong return on that investment. In the few months that it has been since I graduated I have already had a return on that investment and I know that return will continue long into the future.

Lastly, while Metis was definitely an intense and challenging experience, it was also a fun one. It was extremely stimulating to be surrounded everyday by such knowledgeable instructors and peers with such incredibly diverse skillsets. There were late nights and work on the weekends to be sure, but I also found the work to be manageable. During Metis, I remember telling myself not to let perfect be the enemy of good and I think that advice served me well. The skills that I think are critical for students to succeed at Metis are curiosity, a willingness to try something and fail on an initial attempt, a willingness to iterate, and openness to collaboration. If these qualities resonate with you, I would strongly encourage you to check Metis out. It was an amazing experience and I am so glad that I made the choice to do it.

• Kelly • Graduate

I can't say enough about the curriculum, staff, and community. I completed my course in Fall 2017, I got a job within 2 months. and have continued to benefit from the community as well as the course resources. My background is in psych research in academia. I got my PhD in Psych/Neuroscience and was facing a bleak job market so I made the decision to transition to data science. It was a rough transition. The bootcamp is not for the faint of heart, but my cohort was comprised of really bright and supportive students (many PhDs and graduates with genuine technical and mathematical prowess) who kept me motivated and on-track. My instructors were amazing and the administrators were incredibly hard working, organized and caring. The curriculum was comprehensive (i.e., a lot so be prepared to be overwhelmed). Regardless of how smart/hardworking you are, you will struggle to keep up. BUT if your experience is anything like mine, you'll be surrounded by people who genuinely care about your success. What's impressed me the most is that a year into finding a well-paying tech job, I'm still very much a part of- and benefit from- the Metis community. I STILL use notes from my session. and my cohort still supports each other's growth and success through referrals and knowledge-sharing. The administrators are still available a year plus into graduating for advice and help because they genuinely care about their students. If I could give this place a 6/5 I would. I really loved my time there and I have a ton of respect for the Metis family.