metis-logo

Metis

Chicago, Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Metis

Metis offers data science and analytics training via 12-week full-time immersive bootcamps, part-time online bootcamp prep courses, and corporate training programs. The Metis Data Science Bootcamp is offered Live Online with real-time instruction and interaction with classmates. Designed and taught by industry practitioners, the program covers Python, algorithms, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, interactive data visualization, and more. Graduates will be comfortable designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a data science project, will grasp the fundamentals of data visualization, and will get exposure to modern big data tools and architecture such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. The data science curriculum is delivered through project-based, hands-on, collaborative learning, resulting in a portfolio of 5 projects at the end of the bootcamp that can be leveraged during the interview process.

Career Advisors work one-on-one with students and hold regular workshops on topics like networking and resume writing. Students receive mock interview training and have access to an extensive network of speakers, mentors, and a highly engaged network of over 1,100 bootcamp alumni. Graduates leave fully qualified for data scientist jobs and receive career support until they're hired. The Metis hiring network is over 200 companies strong, including Facebook, Amazon, and Capital One.

To apply for the Metis Data Science Bootcamp, applicants need to have experience with programming and statistics. Prior to starting the program, students must complete 25 hours of academic pre-work. Metis offers a free, self-paced Admissions Prep course for those who need to brush up on their linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python skills. Metis is looking for students eager to get their hands dirty by learning new technologies and solving real-life problems, and who have the skills needed to secure entry-level jobs in the Data Science field.

Recent Metis Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (114) reviews for Metis →

Recent Metis News

Read all (50) articles about Metis →
  • Beginner Python and Math for Data Science

Data Science, Python
    Start Date September 21, 2020
    Considering applying to our Data Science Bootcamp but need to build or brush up on your basic skills first? Our Beginner Python & Math for Data Science course was designed for you, the beginner looking for an introduction to the building blocks essential to developing data science skills or forging a new career in the field. This course sets you on the right track, covering everything you’ll encounter during the bootcamp application process. You’ll learn: Basics of Python programming Common Python libraries: NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib Foundations of linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics Please note, the cost of Beginner Python & Math for Data Science can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Beginner Python & Math for Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
    September 21, 2020 - Online Apply by September 21, 2020
    October 19, 2020 - Online Apply by October 19, 2020
    January 11, 2021 - Online Apply by January 11, 2021
  • Data Science Bootcamp

Start Date January 4, 2021
    Metis's 12-week accredited data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Data Scientists bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    We partner with SkillsFund, an innovative financing company that offers financing options for students accepted to our bootcamp. Visit our website to learn more.
    ScholarshipWe offer a $3,000 scholarship for women, members of underrepresented groups, the LGBTQ community, or veterans of U.S. military personnel. We also accept GI Bill® benefits at our NYC campus. Visit thisismetis.com to learn more.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.
    Prep WorkOnce students are enrolled in the bootcamp, they are granted immediate access to our prework materials, a structured program of 25 hours of academic pre-work and up to 35 hours of set-up is designed to get admitted students warmed up and ready to go.
    January 4, 2021 - Online Apply by November 9, 2020
  • Introduction to Data Science

Data Science, Git, Python, Machine Learning
    Start Date January 21, 2021
    This course takes you one step closer to becoming a data scientist by offering a subset of the topics covered in our Data Science Bootcamp. You’ll get a well-rounded intro to the core concepts and technologies taught within the bootcamp, including basic machine learning principles and hands-on coding experience. Plus, you’ll put it all to practice through a mini data science project of your own. We’ll cover the following: Data acquisition, cleaning, and aggregation Exploratory data analysis and visualization Feature engineering Model creation and validation Basic statistical and mathematical foundations for data science We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Introduction to Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents should have some familiarity with basic statistical and linear algebraic concepts. In Python, it will be helpful to know basic data structures.
    January 21, 2021 - Online Apply by January 21, 2021
  • Python for Beginners

Data Science, Python
    Start Date November 2, 2020
    Are you thinking about applying to our Data Science Bootcamp, but need to build your Python skills first? Our Python for Beginners course was designed for you - the beginner ready to learn the fundamentals of the world’s most popular programming language for data science from scratch. During this 3-week course, you will learn: -Introduction to programming in Python -Common basic data types and their properties -Logical operations, loops, functions and more Please note, the cost of Python for Beginners can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to learn Python fundamentals, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Python for Beginners, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries you may have.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
    November 2, 2020 - Online Apply by November 2, 2020

I took a semester off from college my junior year to do Metis and while I did have a few small issues with the bootcamp, my overall experience was very valuable and ultimately led to an internship + full-time job offer in data science.

My cohort was full of very bright and motivated students which really enhanced my experience because many of my evenings were spent coworking and bouncing ideas/concepts off others. Metis does a good job filtering via interviews for students who will benefit the most from the program. I've also got a great network now of data folks as many from my cohort have gone on to awesome data jobs at companies like Google, Apple, Nike, Genentech, and IBM. That said, doing the bootcamp alone is nowhere near enough to land a serious data science job. Most who I know, spent an additional 3-9 months reviewing, studying, taking on contract work, networking, and interviewing after the conclusion of the bootcamp before hitting their payoff.

The curriculum is fast-paced. The only skill you'll come out remotely procient in is Python (and even then you'll rarely touch object-oriented concepts), the rest you'll only have glanced the surface of. For instance, our cohort spent merely 2 days on javascript and D3 visualization. We were encouraged to copy D3 templates and finesse the visualizations if that's a direction we wanted to take with out 3rd project. The same was true of tools like SQL, MongoDB, Hadoop, Spark, and Flask. That said, the bootcamp gives you a great overview of all the concepts and tools you'll need to be strong in to be a legit data scientist. I recommend taking notes during lectures and reviewing them after the end of the program as well as covering a bunch more materials that I'll list at the end of this review.

Our two instructors (Debbie & Joe) did a really good job for such an intense program. Joe who at the time was teaching his second cohort is one of the best teachers I've ever had the pleasure of learning from. He has immense talent for explaining technical concepts and theory in a way that is simple and clear, and is amazing at addressing the very core of any followup questions. He was invested into the program and often stayed past 5pm, sometimes up to 7-8pm on the days leading up to a project deadline. Debbie was great as well, but came from a different background. She was forced last minute to teach our cohort, and thus had to deal with moving to SF from the east coast at the start. While she was also great, I would have preferred there be more organization so that our second instructor could be fully prepared for what feels at times like a 12-week sprint.

Resources to review after a bootcamp like this to get a data science job:

• Learn OOP in Python using any online resource + do a full programming interview book
    • Andrew Ng's Intro to Machine Learning course (even better if you review before the bootcamp)
    • Andrew Ng's Deep Learning Specialization (if you want to go into more heavy ML/DL)
    • Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow (O'Reilly book that reviews a lot of the bootcamp's material)
    • Fast AI's MOOC
    • All of Statistics - A Concise Intro to Statistical Inference, 20th Ed.
    • Ian Goodfellows "Deep Learning" (if you want to go into ML research or grad school)
    • Practice tools like SQL, Flask, Spark on your own

I had wonderful experience at this bootcamp. The quality of students and instructors both were excellent. The job support after the bootcamp was excellent too.

• Anonymous • Data Scientist • Graduate

I attended the data science bootcamp at Metis in summer 2017. I was from a very different major gearing towards learning more on data analytics, thus in transition of career direction and expertise field at that time. Attending Metis has played a key role in terms of providing me very proactive education to accomplish the transition in such a short period of time. I truly learned a lot in many aspects from the education itself, how to really go out there and interact in the data science society/community, and last but not least how to efficiently present myself to the job market. I'd humbly like to say that I'm glad I decided to learn from Metis, which I believe ultimately made me able to currently work as a data scientist in the competitive industry.

• Amazing network
    - 12/25/2016

When deciding to enroll in a bootcamp, spending focused time on building skills and a portfolio are the draw, but really your biggest long-term benefit will be the network. With Metis, I have nothing but great things to say about the community. There's a culture of collaborating and learning-by-doing in the classroom. I loved taking three months to surround myself with smart people from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise. I chose Metis primarily because of its focus on rapid deliverables and that I would walk away with a portfolio of projects to speak about with employers. But I've been amazed at the strength of the alumni community and don't know how I would begin to manage a job search without it.

• just okay...
    - 12/4/2016

I was part of the earlier cohorts for Metis and found that they were still trying to smooth out their curriculum. I found the job assistance to be substantially lacking. They have career partners but none of them had hired former Metis alum which made me question their 'participation' in the bootcamp or if it was false advertising to potential students. I know some students have gone off to do awesome things, but I would say that this is the exception rather than the norm.