merit-america-logo

Merit America

Akron, Albuquerque, Ann Arbor, Atlanta, Augusta, Austin, Baltimore, Baton Rouge, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Durham, Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Newark, New York City, Oakland, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Merit America

Merit America is a non-profit that offers 9, 14 and 21-week, part-time bootcamps in IT Support and Java Development in 10+ cities across the United States. Students receive 1:1 career coaching throughout the program, benefit from peer support via weekly squad meetings, and work with a dedicated placement team to find a job. Graduates only pay once they land a job that pays above a regional threshold.

In the 21-week Java Development bootcamp, students learn Java, data structures, SQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Agile, and AWS deployment. In the 14-week IT Support bootcamp, students learn technical support, troubleshooting, operating systems, systems administration, IT security, and Office 365 administration and deployment. Upon graduation, IT Support students earn a Google IT Support Certificate. Merit America also offers a 9-week Fast Track IT Support program that includes the same topics and culminates in the Google IT Support Certificate.

Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED; individuals currently pursuing or who already hold a bachelor's degree are not eligible. No prior coding experience is required, but applicants should have reliable Internet access, be fluent in English, and authorized to work in the United States. Applicants complete a basic learning assessment and submit a video interview. If applicants are accepted, they start with a 2-4 week trial phase to determine whether Merit America is the right fit for them. There is no official commitment until the end of this trial period.

Merit America does not require payment upfront. Graduates only pay once they are in a new job above the income threshold specified for their program and region. Once in a new job, graduates make small monthly payments for 24 months to repay tuition ($163/month for IT and $225/month for Java). If graduates drop below the income threshold, payments will be paused. If graduates do not land a job above the salary threshold, the program is free.

Recent Merit America Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (11) reviews for Merit America →

Recent Merit America News

• IT Support

Network Security, Networking
      Start Date January 11, 2021
      LocationWashington, Dallas, Durham, Milwaukee, Charlotte, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Oakland, San Jose, Raleigh, Atlanta
      The Merit America IT Support bootcamp is 13 weeks. Bootcamp students will learn technical support & troubleshooting, operating systems, systems administration, IT security, and Office 365 administration and deployment. Upon graduation, IT Support bootcamp students will earn a Google IT Support Certificate.
      Pay nothing up front. Stipends available, repaid once you land a job above the salary threshold.
      Tuition PlansPay nothing upfront, and when you're in a new job making above the income threshold, you'll pay $163 per month for 24 months.
      Refund / GuaranteeIf you don't land a job over the salary threshold, you don't pay anything!
      January 11, 2021 - Dallas Apply by December 14, 2020
    • Java Development

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Data Structures, Java, Agile
      Start Date January 19, 2021
      LocationPittsburgh, Phoenix, Seattle, Fort Lauderdale, Denver, Washington, Dallas, San Antonio, Durham, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Houston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Oakland, San Jose, Raleigh, Atlanta, Chicago, Augusta, Baton Rouge, Baltimore, Austin, Ann Arbor, Albuquerque, Akron, Tampa, Miami, Newark, New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit, San Diego, Minneapolis
      The Merit America Java Development bootcamp is 21 weeks. Students will learn Java, data structures, SQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Agile, and AWS deployment, and receive professional career coaching and skills development.
      Tuition PlansPay $0 upfront, and only pay once you land a new job making $50,000 or more, in installments of $225/month for 24 months.
      ScholarshipNo payment up front, free if you don't land a job above a regional salary threshold.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo prior coding experience is required, but applicants should have reliable Internet access, be fluent in English, and authorized to work in the United States.
      January 19, 2021 - Phoenix Apply by January 5, 2021
    • Phenomenal Program
      - 10/20/2020
      Ashton Bailey  User Photo
      Ashton Bailey • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Merit America is a wonderful program that is wholly committed to helping working adults excel in the IT industry. Throughout the process, I was supported by an exceptional coach and team members. That support continues today in the form of Alumni services, furthering illustrating Merits America's desire to catapult its students into their success. Their passion and tireless efforts exerted on behalf of their students are truly inspiring, and I consider myself fortunate to have been apart of a game-changing program such as this.
    • Upskilled
      - 10/6/2020
      Ricky Wong  User Photo
      Ricky Wong • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I've always worked hard at everything I do. But it seems that I was going around in circles at times, most likely due to the lack of direction. Merit America provided professional mentorship as well as technical skills training and guidance. Concatenate the helpful support provided by the knowledgeable team with your perseverance, and you have a beautiful equation. More than often a helping hand goes a long way, even when I didn't know I needed it. Merit America allowed me to grow into a version of myself more fitting for a career in the technology industry that I didn't think possible.
    • Excellent program
      - 10/5/2020
      Sunzida Beg  User Photo
      Sunzida Beg • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I would like to thank the CEO and all staff in Merit America for organizing this excellent program.

I graduated from Merit America in 2019. I was always looking for an opportunity to work in the technology field and was looking for an opportunity to learn some programs.

In Merit America I have learned JAVA and other programs from experienced trainers, coaches, and mentors.

In Merit America I have developed both technology and professional skills.  Merit America created my strong base and now it is easy for me to find my path.

I think it would be more helpful if students were given some pre-course materials and links to go over before the course starts to gain some knowledge in advance.
    • Java Development
      - 10/5/2020
      Cody Ortiz  User Photo
      Cody Ortiz • Cloud Specialist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Merit America is an organization that truly believes in their mission of providing the necessary skills to experienced workers who are looking to gain an entry role into the technology industry. As a full-time husband and father, I had to prioritize my career at an early age and wasn't able to go after my 4-year degree like I intended to. I had always been interested in technology and programming, but I knew I would need a degree to get into the industry. Finding Merit America after I committed to pursuing an education in Computer Science, I thought the promise sounded too good to be true. I finally decided it was worth the shot, and I am so grateful I made that choice today. Not only did I gain the necessary technical skills through the program, but I also gained the professional skills needed to immediately begin contributing in my new role. I can't recommend the program enough to those that are looking to take a challenging, yet incredibly rewarding step on their path into the technology industry.
    • Huy Cam  User Photo
      Huy Cam • Software Engineer Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      It's hard to believe that there is such an opportunity that check out all of my items on my checklist. If you ask, yes I did doubt the fantastic offer that Merit America (MA) had. So I did my due diligence and you know, they didn't ask for anything suspicious so I applied. After applying for the program, you'll get through rigorous tests to assess if you fit the program. My Java program lasted for 5 months. It's was tough and there were a lot of things going on during that time. But my coaches really helpful and gave me a lot of valuable supports. Not only they taught me technical material, but they also taught me how to build a resume, how to nail an interview, how to grow myself professionally. After the program, they helped me connect with their employer partners to get interviews. And now I am a Software Engineer at JP Morgan Chase. Keep in mind that besides their effort, you have to work your butt off on your side your learning journey and job-seeking journey as well. They already build half of the bridge, it's your responsibility to build the other half.
    • Changed my Life
      - 10/2/2020
      Nick  User Photo
      Nick • Software Engineering Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I'd always wanted to break into software development, but never knew how. Merit America gave me a clear path- their specific and relevant curriculum prepared me to answer the questions I faced in interviews. The pair programming and group work we did forced me to learn the technologies well enough to really talk about them, and gave me the opportunity to get to know some amazing people. This transformational opportunity is something I'll always be grateful for.
    • Fantastic choice!
      - 10/2/2020
      Armando Perez  User Photo
      Armando Perez • IT Administrator • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Merit America is a school that goes above and beyond what is expected and helps you to not only get certified but also build your career skills like interviewing, networking, resume building and so much more!
    • Destiny O Omokhoa  User Photo
      Destiny O Omokhoa • Application support associate • Verified via LinkedIn
      The Merit America program not only equips you with the technical skills you need to excel but also the professional skills and that include interview skills,  workplace communication skills, networking skills and so much more. As a beneficiary of this platform, I proudly recommend it to everyone looking to making a career change to the IT industry.
    • Jennifer Hoang • Applicant
      If your truly looking for a good opportunity to learn and apply your skills then this it is. I love this program and everyone I was able to meet. Everyone is super supportive and always willing to help as long as you’re open as well. It can be hard at times but that’s why you have your peers and the team to help guide you but you have to do the work. I was able to learn so many new things and professional, I am so more open and skilled. I was able to break through my shell and go to networking events and mock interviews. I didn’t land that big developer job but I was able to get my foot in and now I work at Apple. You will go through a lot of interviews and you will receive more no’s then yes. But never give up, they always got your back. You got this other learners, keep that mind young.
    • Beauty Kabore • Graduate
      Life Changing Experience

I didn’t even know I could be good at programming until I encountered Merit America. The constant coaching  ( not only with coding but in the professional sphere too) and  peer meetings made the learning process a lot easier.  My LinkedIn profile stands out so well that, I am constantly getting noticed by recruiters. I am gaining more knowledge and delving deeper into programming; something I wouldn’t have ventured into if not for Merit America.
      Do not miss this life changing opportunity !
      Go for it!
    • Angela Steward • Learner • Student
      Great blend of online and in person training and offers flexibility for working adults.
      No upfront cost.
      Amazing support from staff and affiliates. They really care about your success and advancement of your career.
      Highly selective 13 week program that is very informative, easy to follow for the most part, and detailed.