Merit America is a non-profit that offers 9, 14 and 21-week, part-time bootcamps in IT Support and Java Development in 10+ cities across the United States. Students receive 1:1 career coaching throughout the program, benefit from peer support via weekly squad meetings, and work with a dedicated placement team to find a job. Graduates only pay once they land a job that pays above a regional threshold.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED; individuals currently pursuing or who already hold a bachelor's degree are not eligible. No prior coding experience is required, but applicants should have reliable Internet access, be fluent in English, and authorized to work in the United States. Applicants complete a basic learning assessment and submit a video interview. If applicants are accepted, they start with a 2-4 week trial phase to determine whether Merit America is the right fit for them. There is no official commitment until the end of this trial period.
Merit America does not require payment upfront. Graduates only pay once they are in a new job above the income threshold specified for their program and region. Once in a new job, graduates make small monthly payments for 24 months to repay tuition ($163/month for IT and $225/month for Java). If graduates drop below the income threshold, payments will be paused. If graduates do not land a job above the salary threshold, the program is free.
Recent Merit America Reviews: Rating 4.86
Recent Merit America News
Start Date None scheduled Cost $3,900 Class size N/A Location OnlineThe Merit America IT Support bootcamp is 13 weeks. Bootcamp students will learn technical support & troubleshooting, operating systems, systems administration, IT security, and Office 365 administration and deployment. Upon graduation, IT Support bootcamp students will earn a Google IT Support Certificate.
Deposit N/A FinancingPay nothing up front. Stipends available, repaid once you land a job above the salary threshold. Tuition Plans Pay nothing upfront, and when you're in a new job making above the income threshold, you'll pay $163 per month for 24 months. Refund / Guarantee If you don't land a job over the salary threshold, you don't pay anything!
Deposit N/A Tuition Plans Pay $0 upfront, and only pay once you land a new job making $50,000 or more, in installments of $225/month for 24 months. Scholarship No payment up front, free if you don't land a job above a regional salary threshold.
Minimum Skill Level No prior coding experience is required, but applicants should have reliable Internet access, be fluent in English, and authorized to work in the United States. Placement Test No Interview No
Merit America Reviews
15 reviews sorted by:
- Brutal but Worth it- 7/5/2021Daved Tadlock • Graduate • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInMerit America's Java full stack program is everything you should expect from a coding boot camp and more. It is a flexible yet rigorous 21-week program that covers Java, Spring/Springboot, SQL, JS, HTML, CSS, React/Redux, AWS, SQL and much more and not only that but you put all these concepts to use in an all inclusive full stack application to present at the end of the course. This is a 'Zero to Hero' program however if you have not had any bit of previous experience or knowledge it will be much, much harder due to how fast you will move through this. You get out what you put in.
Not only do you gain new technical skill but there is also heavy emphasis on professional development from resume and cover letter writing, BI skills, networking, and more.
After all that there is the cost, which is LOW (near $8k) in comparison to other programs where the cost can reach $16k+.
- Phenomenal Program- 10/20/2020Ashton Bailey • Graduate • Course: IT Support • Campus: Dallas • Verified via LinkedInMerit America is a wonderful program that is wholly committed to helping working adults excel in the IT industry. Throughout the process, I was supported by an exceptional coach and team members. That support continues today in the form of Alumni services, furthering illustrating Merits America's desire to catapult its students into their success. Their passion and tireless efforts exerted on behalf of their students are truly inspiring, and I consider myself fortunate to have been apart of a game-changing program such as this.
- Upskilled- 10/6/2020Ricky Wong • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate • Course: Java Development • Campus: Dallas • Verified via LinkedInI've always worked hard at everything I do. But it seems that I was going around in circles at times, most likely due to the lack of direction. Merit America provided professional mentorship as well as technical skills training and guidance. Concatenate the helpful support provided by the knowledgeable team with your perseverance, and you have a beautiful equation. More than often a helping hand goes a long way, even when I didn't know I needed it. Merit America allowed me to grow into a version of myself more fitting for a career in the technology industry that I didn't think possible.
- Excellent program- 10/5/2020Sunzida Beg • Graduate • Course: Java Development • Campus: Dallas • Verified via LinkedInI would like to thank the CEO and all staff in Merit America for organizing this excellent program.I graduated from Merit America in 2019. I was always looking for an opportunity to work in the technology field and was looking for an opportunity to learn some programs.In Merit America I have learned JAVA and other programs from experienced trainers, coaches, and mentors.In Merit America I have developed both technology and professional skills. Merit America created my strong base and now it is easy for me to find my path.I think it would be more helpful if students were given some pre-course materials and links to go over before the course starts to gain some knowledge in advance.
- Java Development- 10/5/2020Cody Ortiz • Cloud Specialist • Graduate • Course: Java Development • Campus: Dallas • Verified via LinkedInMerit America is an organization that truly believes in their mission of providing the necessary skills to experienced workers who are looking to gain an entry role into the technology industry. As a full-time husband and father, I had to prioritize my career at an early age and wasn't able to go after my 4-year degree like I intended to. I had always been interested in technology and programming, but I knew I would need a degree to get into the industry. Finding Merit America after I committed to pursuing an education in Computer Science, I thought the promise sounded too good to be true. I finally decided it was worth the shot, and I am so grateful I made that choice today. Not only did I gain the necessary technical skills through the program, but I also gained the professional skills needed to immediately begin contributing in my new role. I can't recommend the program enough to those that are looking to take a challenging, yet incredibly rewarding step on their path into the technology industry.
- Life Changing Program- 10/4/2020Huy Cam • Software Engineer Analyst • Graduate • Course: Java Development • Campus: Dallas • Verified via LinkedInIt's hard to believe that there is such an opportunity that check out all of my items on my checklist. If you ask, yes I did doubt the fantastic offer that Merit America (MA) had. So I did my due diligence and you know, they didn't ask for anything suspicious so I applied. After applying for the program, you'll get through rigorous tests to assess if you fit the program. My Java program lasted for 5 months. It's was tough and there were a lot of things going on during that time. But my coaches really helpful and gave me a lot of valuable supports. Not only they taught me technical material, but they also taught me how to build a resume, how to nail an interview, how to grow myself professionally. After the program, they helped me connect with their employer partners to get interviews. And now I am a Software Engineer at JP Morgan Chase. Keep in mind that besides their effort, you have to work your butt off on your side your learning journey and job-seeking journey as well. They already build half of the bridge, it's your responsibility to build the other half.
- Changed my Life- 10/2/2020Nick • Software Engineering Analyst • Graduate • Course: Java Development • Campus: Dallas • Verified via LinkedInI'd always wanted to break into software development, but never knew how. Merit America gave me a clear path- their specific and relevant curriculum prepared me to answer the questions I faced in interviews. The pair programming and group work we did forced me to learn the technologies well enough to really talk about them, and gave me the opportunity to get to know some amazing people. This transformational opportunity is something I'll always be grateful for.
- Fantastic choice!- 10/2/2020Armando Perez • IT Administrator • Graduate • Campus: Dallas • Verified via LinkedIn
- Merit America IT Support program- 10/2/2020Destiny O Omokhoa • Application support associate • Verified via LinkedInThe Merit America program not only equips you with the technical skills you need to excel but also the professional skills and that include interview skills, workplace communication skills, networking skills and so much more. As a beneficiary of this platform, I proudly recommend it to everyone looking to making a career change to the IT industry.
- Greatest Coding Bootcamp I've Come Across- 3/1/2021William Haywood • Student • Course: Java Development • Campus: OnlineMerit America is, without a doubt, the best coding bootcamp I have come across in my search. Most other bootcamps I have heard of charge from 2 to 5 times as much as Merit America (a cost you will likely incur upfront) and offer very little by way of developing your professional skills to help you market your new coding skills and ultimately land a job. Merit America manages to tie all these loose ends together by combining a broad coding curriculum that can teach a non-coder to be industry ready in under half a year with great professional support to teach learners how to succeed in interviews, write good resumes and stand out to employers in a sea of applications. Merit America boasts all of this while charging the learner nothing upfront, instead, upon the learner being hired into the tech industry, the learner then pays back a modest fee over time. What's more is that Merit America partners with powerful companies like JPMC and HCL to provide their learners with the opportunity to show their skills in front of industry professionals and generate job leads. Merit America hands you all the tools you need for success practically on a silver platter, all you need to do is the work.
- Advance your career- 10/7/2020Jennifer Hoang • Applicant • Course: Java Development • Campus: DallasIf your truly looking for a good opportunity to learn and apply your skills then this it is. I love this program and everyone I was able to meet. Everyone is super supportive and always willing to help as long as you’re open as well. It can be hard at times but that’s why you have your peers and the team to help guide you but you have to do the work. I was able to learn so many new things and professional, I am so more open and skilled. I was able to break through my shell and go to networking events and mock interviews. I didn’t land that big developer job but I was able to get my foot in and now I work at Apple. You will go through a lot of interviews and you will receive more no’s then yes. But never give up, they always got your back. You got this other learners, keep that mind young.