merit-america-logo

Merit America

Merit America

Merit America is a non-profit that offers 14, 16 and 30-week, part-time bootcamps in IT Support, Java Development, and Data Analytics across the United States. Students receive 1:1 career coaching throughout the program, benefit from peer support via weekly squad meetings, and work with a dedicated placement team to find a job. Graduates only pay once they land a job that pays above a regional threshold.

In the 30-week Java Development bootcamp, students learn Java, data structures, SQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Agile, and AWS deployment. In the 14-week IT Support bootcamp, students learn technical support, troubleshooting, operating systems, systems administration, IT security, and Office 365 administration and deployment. Upon graduation, IT Support students earn a Google IT Support Certificate. In the 16-week Data Analytics bootcamp, students will learn data types & structures, data visualization, R programming, problem solving with data, and data analysis. Students will complete a data capstone project, and graduate with the skills necessary to start an entry-level job in Data Analytics.

Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED; individuals currently pursuing or who already hold a bachelor's degree are not eligible. No prior coding experience is required, but applicants should have reliable Internet access, be fluent in English, and authorized to work in the United States. Applicants complete a basic learning assessment and submit a video interview. If applicants are accepted, they start with a 2-4 week trial phase to determine whether Merit America is the right fit for them. There is no official commitment until the end of this trial period.

Merit America does not require payment upfront. Graduates only pay once they are in a new job above the income threshold specified for their program and region. Once in a new job, IT and Data Analytics graduates make small monthly payments for 60 months to repay tuition ($95/month for IT/Data Analytics), while Java graduates make monthly payments for 24 months ($225/month). If graduates drop below the income threshold, payments will be paused. If graduates do not land a job above the salary threshold, the program is free.

Recent Merit America Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (20) reviews for Merit America →

Recent Merit America News

Read all (4) articles about Merit America →
  • Data Analytics

R, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Science, Data Analytics
    The Merit America Data Analytics bootcamp is 16 weeks. Bootcamp students will learn data types & structures, data visualization, R programming, problem solving with data, and data analysis. Students will complete a data capstone project, and graduate with the skills necessary to start an entry-level job in Data Analytics
    Tuition PlansPay nothing upfront, and when you're in a new job making above the income threshold, you'll pay $95 per month for 60 months.
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you don't land a job over the salary threshold, you don't pay anything!
  • IT Support

Networking, Network Security
    Start Date May 23, 2022
    The Merit America IT Support bootcamp is 14 weeks. Bootcamp students will learn technical support & troubleshooting, operating systems, systems administration, IT security, and Office 365 administration and deployment. Upon graduation, IT Support bootcamp students will earn a Google IT Support Certificate.
    May 23, 2022 - Online
  • Java Development

Agile, CSS, Data Structures, HTML, Java, JavaScript
    Start Date September 27, 2022
    The Merit America Java Development bootcamp is 30 weeks. Students will learn Java, data structures, SQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Agile, and AWS deployment, and receive professional career coaching and skills development.
    Tuition PlansPay $0 upfront, and only pay once you land a new job making $50,000 or more, in installments of $225/month for 24 months.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo prior coding experience is required, but applicants should have reliable Internet access, be fluent in English, and authorized to work in the United States.
    September 27, 2022 - Online
  • Yoni Werkneh   User Photo
    Yoni Werkneh • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently completed Junior Java Development Bootcamp with Merit America.  The coaches I worked with and the tech instructors go above and beyond to help learners. The professional development part of the program is very effective! I received continuous help to polish my resume and sharpen my interview skills. I highly recommend Merit to anyone looking to break into the tech field.
  • Java Failure
    - 3/30/2022
    Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Construction Site Supervisor • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I couldn't get placed for a software development job out of this program. I tried until my money ran out and I had to take a job in the construction field. I still had to pay for the course, which wasn't exactly the understanding I had going in.

Wasted my time and money and would not do it again. No way.
  • Java
    - 12/1/2021
    Brandon   User Photo
    Brandon • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    The program through Merit I will admit seemed a little daunting, however the support system and coaches have been so amazing thus far! The fact that they’re always just a slack message away from helping you get through whatever you’re struggling with has been great. The course is now 30 weeks and it’s been at a great pace for learning with a deeper level of understanding. If you’re thinking about whether Merit is right for you, reach out to them and you’ll see why I and so many others are excited and will be reaping the great benefits of this program.
  • Shelby Johnson  User Photo
    Shelby Johnson • Verified via LinkedIn
    My experience with Merit America was amazing! I went into the program looking for a career change and a way to escape retail. I was working odd hours while trying to raise two small children and it was hard! So after watching my husband go through Merit America’s Java program I thought to myself, I can totally do this! So I did! I worked my butt off learning how to code knowing there was a light at the end of the tunnel, with a new career waiting for me. I am now out of working retail, working for a company that I love and with five year old who is always asking me to teach him to code!
  • Daved Tadlock  User Photo
    Daved Tadlock • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Merit America's Java full stack program is everything you should expect from a coding boot camp and more. It is a flexible yet rigorous 21-week program that covers Java, Spring/Springboot, SQL, JS, HTML, CSS, React/Redux, AWS, SQL and much more and not only that but you put all these concepts to use in an all inclusive full stack application to present at the end of the course. This is a 'Zero to Hero' program however if you have not had any bit of previous experience or knowledge it will be much, much harder due to how fast you will move through this. You get out what you put in.

Not only do you gain new technical skill but there is also heavy emphasis on professional development from resume and cover letter writing, BI skills, networking, and more.

After all that there is the cost, which is LOW (near $8k) in comparison to other programs where the cost can reach $16k+.

• Luis Ibanez  User Photo
    Luis Ibanez • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Rigorous course which will for sure get you to think and be resourceful as a developer. It's focus is on Java, Spring Boot, SQL, JavaScript, React, Redux, etc. Best part about this program is that I was able to keep my current job while attending, it's extremely flexible and would be a great options for working adults. There's also professional coaching that's help you prepare for interviewing and landing a job.
  • Phenomenal Program
    - 10/20/2020
    Ashton Bailey  User Photo
    Ashton Bailey • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Merit America is a wonderful program that is wholly committed to helping working adults excel in the IT industry. Throughout the process, I was supported by an exceptional coach and team members. That support continues today in the form of Alumni services, furthering illustrating Merits America's desire to catapult its students into their success. Their passion and tireless efforts exerted on behalf of their students are truly inspiring, and I consider myself fortunate to have been apart of a game-changing program such as this.
  • Upskilled
    - 10/6/2020
    Ricky Wong  User Photo
    Ricky Wong • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I've always worked hard at everything I do. But it seems that I was going around in circles at times, most likely due to the lack of direction. Merit America provided professional mentorship as well as technical skills training and guidance. Concatenate the helpful support provided by the knowledgeable team with your perseverance, and you have a beautiful equation. More than often a helping hand goes a long way, even when I didn't know I needed it. Merit America allowed me to grow into a version of myself more fitting for a career in the technology industry that I didn't think possible.
  • Excellent program
    - 10/5/2020
    Sunzida Beg  User Photo
    Sunzida Beg • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I would like to thank the CEO and all staff in Merit America for organizing this excellent program.

I graduated from Merit America in 2019. I was always looking for an opportunity to work in the technology field and was looking for an opportunity to learn some programs.

In Merit America I have learned JAVA and other programs from experienced trainers, coaches, and mentors.

In Merit America I have developed both technology and professional skills.  Merit America created my strong base and now it is easy for me to find my path.

I think it would be more helpful if students were given some pre-course materials and links to go over before the course starts to gain some knowledge in advance.
  • Java Development
    - 10/5/2020
    Cody Ortiz  User Photo
    Cody Ortiz • Cloud Specialist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Merit America is an organization that truly believes in their mission of providing the necessary skills to experienced workers who are looking to gain an entry role into the technology industry. As a full-time husband and father, I had to prioritize my career at an early age and wasn't able to go after my 4-year degree like I intended to. I had always been interested in technology and programming, but I knew I would need a degree to get into the industry. Finding Merit America after I committed to pursuing an education in Computer Science, I thought the promise sounded too good to be true. I finally decided it was worth the shot, and I am so grateful I made that choice today. Not only did I gain the necessary technical skills through the program, but I also gained the professional skills needed to immediately begin contributing in my new role. I can't recommend the program enough to those that are looking to take a challenging, yet incredibly rewarding step on their path into the technology industry.
  • Huy Cam  User Photo
    Huy Cam • Software Engineer Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    It's hard to believe that there is such an opportunity that check out all of my items on my checklist. If you ask, yes I did doubt the fantastic offer that Merit America (MA) had. So I did my due diligence and you know, they didn't ask for anything suspicious so I applied. After applying for the program, you'll get through rigorous tests to assess if you fit the program. My Java program lasted for 5 months. It's was tough and there were a lot of things going on during that time. But my coaches really helpful and gave me a lot of valuable supports. Not only they taught me technical material, but they also taught me how to build a resume, how to nail an interview, how to grow myself professionally. After the program, they helped me connect with their employer partners to get interviews. And now I am a Software Engineer at JP Morgan Chase. Keep in mind that besides their effort, you have to work your butt off on your side your learning journey and job-seeking journey as well. They already build half of the bridge, it's your responsibility to build the other half.
  • Changed my Life
    - 10/2/2020
    Nick  User Photo
    Nick • Software Engineering Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I'd always wanted to break into software development, but never knew how. Merit America gave me a clear path- their specific and relevant curriculum prepared me to answer the questions I faced in interviews. The pair programming and group work we did forced me to learn the technologies well enough to really talk about them, and gave me the opportunity to get to know some amazing people. This transformational opportunity is something I'll always be grateful for.