hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.69

all (259) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (55) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationSan Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, New York City, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    DepositAfter you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies like SkillsFund and Climb Credit that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Tuition PlansFinancing options are available.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    Scholarship$1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Prep WorkHack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Tuition PlansApplicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo

• Amazing Experience
    - 10/17/2014
    Andreas Nauleau • Software Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor was an amazing experience that I continue to draw from professionally and personally. The school not only teaches you how to develop but they also provide you with job assistance. I was part of the second cohort so the curriculum and class have changed but the spirit is the same. I would recommend the experience to anyone interested in workiing in the tech industry.

• Best Experience
    - 10/16/2014

Hack Reactor is one of the greatest decisions I have made in my career. It jump started me from 0 to 60 in just three months. Great support while learning javascript as well as on the job hunt. Wouldn't have been able to do it in such a short period of time wtihout them. Love the atmosphere and culture that they have built.

• Top notch program
    - 10/14/2014
    Vinnie • Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor in January 2014 and it was one of the best educational decisions I could have made.  HR has a fantastic all around software engineering curriculum with a focus on JavaScript.

The lecture instructors are generally very helpful and always encourage the students to stop lecture when something is not understood.  The material is a cumulative reflection of all the students that have come before and evaluated its effectiveness, so the lectures are pretty much on point with delivery and the material covered.  You will learn more about JavaScript in a few weeks than you could teach yourself in a few years, easily.

About the curriculum:

Every morning starts out with a toy problem to work on and a solution lecture.  They are questions and problems you will see in your technical interviews.

There are a few weeks of 2 day sprints that encompass things a full-stack engineer might use on a day to day basis.  The curriculum does, as mentioned, change frequently but I think the general outline is still that you'll learn a couple front end frameworks, databases, server-side programming, deployment, testing. The sprints are fun and will have you building or solving something new every few days.  These are usually kicked off with a quick lecture to get you familiar with what you're about to be using but not meant to give away too much.  During sprints there is a help system that students can use to get "unstuck".  Help requests are answered by a variety of people including alumni, hackers-in-residence, staff, etc.

There are two project periods where teams of students can either go offsite and work for a client on something they need done or work on a project of their own.  This is the real meat of the course and where you will learn a ton about engineering.  This experience varies depending on who you work for, who you work with and what your project is but in my opinion, you get what you paid for during this time period.  There is no substitute for actually building something substantial.

Hack Reactor excels in Job Assistance.  There is a period of time dedicated to it in the program.  You will have professional help on resumes, interviewing techniques, technical interview questions, and social media.  You will participate in a hiring day with some super exciting Bay Area companies (we had apple, facebook, bigcommerce, a smattering of various stage start-ups, etc..) and get a chance to have a lightning talk with them and a social event after to get your foot in the door even further with those you liked most.  Hack Reactor will also continue to help you with getting a job long after your course is done and you will be welcomed into any hiring day events if you are needing to find a new job.

At the end, you'll be in a very marketable and employable position.  Most people have jobs within a month or so of graduation, some longer or shorter than that.

All in all, if you're even thinking about applying, do it.  Hack Reactor is a solid choice and you will definitely not regret attending.

• Life Changing
    - 11/22/2019

Hack Reactor was the perfect environment to learn as much as possible in the shortest amount of time. It is a boot camp in every sense of the word. You will be pushed to your limits, given assignments that seem impossible, and come out transformed. I have nothing but positive things to say about the program. The course material is fantastic, the sprints are well designed, the tech stack is industry-relevant and the projects teach real-world development methodologies.

I quit my job as a healthcare consultant and enrolled in Hack Reactor with the goal of securing a job as a software engineer. While the cirriculum was only 3 months, I spent a few months preparing for the admissions interview before it started, and another month looking for a job after it ended. I didn't have a strong background in web development, and found that the in-person immersive program helped me learn the material faster than if I had done part-time or remote. The cirriculum is intense, but there's plenty of support from instructors, classmates, and career coaches to get you through the program if you're willing to put in the work.

I knew some folks that completed bootcamps around the same time, and I think what set my experience apart was the career support after the program had ended. Hack Reactor isn't just focused on teaching you software engineering fundamentals and web development best practices.They truly emphasize the job search process as another crucial part of the cirriculum.

My career coach Marlene helped me throughout every step of the way, from resume/linkedin review, to managing my application/interview metrics, and setting up mock interviews before phone screens and on-sites. She was available 24/7 to answer any questions, motivate me to send out applications, and help me negotiate a $10k salary increase for the offer I secured 4 weeks after graduation. What I appreciated the most, was that she made me apply to senior positions that I didn't believe I was qualified for (even though I was). She helped me land my dream job!

The outcomes team takes their job very seriously, and they'll expect you to do the same. I wasn't one of the strongest engineers in my cohort, but I had one of the best outcomes because of the incredible career support.

The experience at Hack Reactor @ Galvanize will be one that I will never forget. From the instructors to the course material, supporting staff members to the campus, every aspect of this program came together to offer a supportive, learning enironvment essential to building the skills needed to code and become future developers.

On top of learning how to build apps, I've made life-long friendships/mentors, and developed soft skills that will help me in my journey. I am very grateful I was offered the opporunity to learn thru this program.

I was skeptical about coding bootcamps at first, but after Hack Reactor @ Galvanize, I saw for myself why it was such a highly-rated program.

One of my greatest personal takeaways from the program was how it fundamentally changed my outlook on learning, and really stretched the boundaries of what I previously thought was attainable. It still surprises me, up till today, how much I've managed to achieve in such a short amount of time. I can say with confidence that the curriculum preps you well in terms of technical skills, personal growth, and the job search that comes thereafter.

I think the outcomes of the program speak for themselves. I have finally secured a job I've only dreamed of in the past and my only regret is not taking the plunge sooner!

• I liked HR
    - 2/28/2019
    Anonymous • React/Node developer • Graduate

If you truly want to learn this stuff, are fully willing to put in the work and willing to give your life to HR for 13 weeks You will come out and be ahead of other boot camps or people right out school. If you put in the work and there is a lot of it and all very hard then HR will make sure you can success. I also was the in the last class that did Greenfield, Legacy and thesis. Really i had no ides what i was doing till a week in to greenfield. Leaving HR I felt like i was in the buton 15% skill wise. I started my job at the same time as someone who went to dev mountain and the things I knew over him was a big different. The staff is good the info is good like the slides oh my there amazing when i started my job i went back a reread them and there so good. I feel this school is worth it but you as a person has to put in all the work just because you finished from this place does not mean you will get a job or one fast. I had to look for fiveish months before I found one. I walked in to a mid roll coding my first day.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated Hack Reactor 2 months ago with confidence in job searchihng. I realized that I really enjoyed working with React and web development in general. Also, I was eager to enrich and refine my backend skills to expert level. I wanted to learn cutting edge frameworks in dynamic and interactive team environment. So, I decided to join Hack Reactor because I heard that Hack Reactor has really good curriculum for both technical and non-technical aspects. I loved it. Experience in Hack Reactor made me even a stronger software engineer with better engineering habits, robust Test Driven Development and Agile experience, practical and scalable development experience, deep exposure with cutting edge frameworks, and soft skill development. In addition, job searching support after graduation from career coach is great. Lastly, instructors and staffs are professional and supportive.

• Great program
    - 9/6/2018
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor has a great curriculum and overall great experience. It jump started my learning and my career into engineering, but I think there could be more resources and assistance for finding jobs after the program ends.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

You get in what you put into the program.

This is an opportunity to either improve your career options or to change your life for the better, IF you work at it.

Hack Reactor will provide the environment, curriculum and path to being a software engineer, but only with your blood, sweat, tears (and a little luck) will get you to where you need to be. However, it is a supportive environment both emotionally and mentally that will test your desire and ability to become a software engineer.

Course starts with basic CS concepts - and a chance to review what you should have already covered during precourse and SSP.

Then it shifts towards frameworks and applicable skillsets. The curriculum changes to match industry needs to make sure students are as competitive in the marketplace as possible.

• Anonymous • Unemployed • Graduate

When I attended, the statistics were 95% had a job within 3 months with an average of $105,000 per year. That's no longer the case because the market has become oversaturated by applicants with no experience. Many companies won't even consider you without previous employment as a software engineer. Currently, the job search takes closer to an average of 6 months.

The entire job application process is a real crapshoot. A lot of us sent out hundreds of resumes, resulting in only a few onsite interviews. That's one reason job placement isn't too strongly correlated with abilities. Most of the people who did get a job got it from a referral.

If you have a technical background (eg mechanical engineer), a technical degree (CS, physics, math etc) or previous experience as a programmer then things will be much easier for you. For everyone else, a solid portfolio and online presence will be a tremendous help to get you interviews because just getting to the point where you can demonstrate your abilities takes a lot of time and effort.

• Anonymous • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate

Attending Hack Reactor was one of the BEST decisions I have ever made; it changed my life. I started my first job as a full stack engineer about a month ago, and Hack Reactor has fully prepared me to perform competently. I knew before beginning Hack Reactor that I would get a good education, but I was skeptical about outcomes; I worried I wouldn't be able to find a job. I have to say that, out of all the things Hack Reactor provides, I was most blown away by their outcomes support. My outcomes coach was there for me every step of the way, and I was able to find a job in less than two months after starting the job search.

Before I begin my review of Hack Reactor’s remote program I think it would be beneficial to leave a brief personal background. I am a university student studying business and decided to attend Hack Reactor during the summer between my third and fourth year to get technical programming experience. During my business degree I have taken a number of computer science courses which helped me make the decision that I wanted to become a software engineer with a background in business and move towards developing business software as a career path.  With that as my goal, attending Hack Reactor turned out to be the best decision I could have made even though one of my other options was to complete a computer science degree at my university.

Now to talk specifically about Hack Reactor's remote immersive development program I will list and describe my pros and cons of the program.

Pros

1. The staff and their obsession with receiving feedback

The first pro I would like to write about is definitely the staff that makes the program one of the best out there. Each staff member (instructor, counsellor, recruitment advisor, teaching assistant…) understands the responsibility they have facing them and that the reason they have developed one of the best program’s among their competitors is because of their interest and perhaps obsession, with receiving feedback and then acting on such feedback.

Furthermore, since the remote class has (as I write) taught over 25 cohorts of roughly 25-30 students each, they have been able to develop a program that is incredibly effective at bringing in smart students with little development experience and turning them into software engineers with the skills to land high paying jobs immediately after graduation.

2. Your ability to become a software developer, not just a JavaScript software developer.

Before attending I was concerned that I was only going to be able to find jobs after graduation in JavaScript however Hack Reactor’s curriculum has been carefully designed to develop software developers while using JavaScript as the language to accomplish that goal. Many of my other cohort students have been finding opportunities developing software in other languages than JavaScript (i.e Java, Python, C…) in addition to the many students who did end up landing jobs in JavaScript roles.

3. The constantly evolving curriculum

One important reason behind Hack Reactor’s success in developing great software engineers is there ability and effort to stay on top of industry trends and change the curriculum when they see fit. Since the school takes responsibility for developing engineers who will have the skills to be able to find full time employment after graduation they hold themselves accountable for teaching students the most up to date technologies and skills. If they see that a new technology is gaining prominence in the industry they have the ability to work at getting new projects and lectures structured so that the next incoming cohort will be able to get that experience. Contrast this to university (mine in particular), where a change to the curriculum of a program takes at minimum 1.5 years.

4. Structured and challenging admissions process

This is another very important point that many other programming boot camps do not take as seriously as Hack Reactor. The admissions team does an incredible job at accepting the smartest and most motivated and energetic students who you will end up developing very close relationships with over the course of the 12 week program. Nearly all of the projects that you will develop at Hack Reactor are done in groups and never having to worry about who you will be paired with is one advantage which makes the school one of the best among its peers. In addition to being exposed to the best of applicants who you will be working with in your cohort, you also gain exposure to thousands of Hack Reactor alumni who are also as smart, energetic and motivated as you are who are always willing to spend time to give you advice or help understand a particular industry or company in which you are interested.

Con

1. Little time for rest and recovery

Finally I’ll take this opportunity to say that this program is not for everyone mainly for the reason that the course runs for 12 weeks, 6 days a week and a minimum of 10 hours a day. It is intense and not everyone will be able to handle it. When I first began I found it quite challenging to get acquainted with the intensity of the program but very quickly was able to get used to the course load. In addition if you are truly interested in programming and software development, time will fly by and you will find yourself looking forward to coming back to the computer on your spare time to continue learning.

To conclude I should mention one thing, this type of program might not match your learning style. If you’re someone who does not work well in a fast paced program and who may not be able to handle the heavy course load and intensity then you will find this program incredibly difficult. However, if you are someone who thinks you might be able to handle the course load you will excel and look back never thinking it would have been possible to learn that much in such little time. A truly great learning experience which has completely accelerated my career path and life.

• HR is great
    - 9/2/2017

For people who want to learn what matters. When I think of HR I think of this Bruce Lee Quote:

"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."

Hack Reactor is useful. It skips what is useless. It allows you to come into your own and in such a way that has a high ROI.

• a joke
    - 8/17/2017

Make sure to ask how much time you'll be spending coding because I assure you, with two hour lunches on the regular, it isn't as much as you would assume. Everything I learned I learned in the project phase, the largely self-taught portion of the course. The sprints are a waste, they move too quickly for one to absorb the content presented for the long term and the lack of instruction confuses things as they are anyway. Our Angular sprint for example was so bungled I'm still confused, months later. Paltry oversight from a 'tech mentor' who himself graduated Hack Reactor and doesn't seem to have done anything else. No professional experience, no help. HiRs (TAs) help with the sprints AND with most of the career-related stuff. What qualifications do they have? They gradutaed from Hack Reactor in the last 6 weeks and haven't found a job themselves yet. Very disappointing overall.

• Anonymous • JavaScript Engineer • Graduate
    • Positives
      • You'll get job offers with high salaries and great benefits once you're done
      • You will actually know what you're doing when you start said job
      • Without question the best way to switch careers and become a software engineer in the shortest time frame possible
      • Fun experience if you love to code and build stuff
      • Extremely supportive, happy, and optimistic staff
    • Negatives
      • They never sent me my Hack Reactor hoodie that they said they would send me after I finished >:(
      • The course is hard and you'll be stressed throughout a lot of it
      • You have no life when you're doing the program
      • Job searching after you're done sucks regardless of whether or not it's going well
  • ITS A SCAM!!!!
    - 4/22/2017
    Anonymous • Got a job no thanks to HR. All my own work. • Graduate

This is a review after a couple of months graduating from Hack Reactor.

THE 6 MONTH HIRING RATE, THAT IS ON TOP OF 3 MONTHS OF BOOTCAMP AND AT LEAST 3 MONTHS THAT YOU SPENT BEFORE BOOTCAMP PREPARING. THAT IS A COMPLETE FULL YEAR... IN A COMPLETE FULL YEAR YOU CAN MOST DEFINATELY GET A JOB GRADUATING OUT OF ANY BOOTCAMP OR SELF LEARNING WHICH YOU WILL HAVE TO DO BECAUSE HACK REACTOR DOES NOT TEACH PROPERLY, ONLY A BREEZE THROUH (they call it congorour, I call it flipping pages in the book only reading headings) WHICH IS NOT ENOUGH TO GET A JOB.

Also more than half of students are already CS Grads or Engineering grads or have worked in the industry before so they bring the salary figures up. MAJORITY OF THE GRADS WITH NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE OR EDUCATION IN TECH DO NOT GET 105 THOUSAND IN SF WHERE AVERAGE BEGINNER SALARY IS AROUND 100K ANYWAYS. Other places have much lower salary figures.

There is nothing different or special about hack reactor apart from they take students who already know JavaScript to a very good level.

All bootcamps teach the same material ie start from JavaScript revision then you build a front end then a back end and then you join them together.

Hack Reactor does not go over the foundations of any of these so you will be left with head spinning, knowing only partial picture of some stuff which used to work 4 years ago when there was such a shortage of developers that if you knew a,f,g,z they would give you a job thinking you will learn the rest. THIS IS NOT THE CASE ANYMORE.

THEY EMPLOY TRICKS LIKE OFFSHORE COMPANIES THAT SPECIALIZE IN WRITING FAKE REVIEWS AND THEY WRITE MANY FAKE REVIEWS THEMSELVES. YOU WILL SEE WHERE THERE ARE A FEW BAD REVIEWS THEY ARE IMMEDIATELY DROWNED BY FAKE GOOD REVIEWS PLEDGING ITS THE BEST THING THEY HAVE EVER DONE. I searched the profile of one in google review and they were based in China and writing 5 star reviews by the hundreds in a single day of resturants and busineess all over the world.

IF YOU DONT SEE THE WRITING ON THE WALL AND THROW YOUR 18000 THEN ONLY YOU ARE TO BLAME...

• Don't expect a job
    - 4/17/2017
    Anonymous • None • Student

One of the biggest draws to Hack Reactor was the stat on their front page which said, 98% employed after 3 months, average salary, 96,000.  Now that's changed a bit from time to time but in March of 2017 Hack Reactor released updated, verified results that were much, much different.

For the remote class, the employed percent after 6 months is in the 70s percentage wise, and average salary is 81k.  And keep in mind, this is after 6 months!  After three were talking 40 percentage wise.

What happend?  Was there really that big of a shift, or were previous numbers fudged?

Plus, once you subtract out of field jobs, the numbers get even worse.

So, if you don't want to get a job afterwards, then the class is quite okay.  Keep in mind there are no real engineers that are teaching you, just previous students with no work experience, and all the materials used in class can be found in free books or on github repositories of previous students.

If you're looking for a mentor that knows what they're doing, I would look elsewhere

• Scam
    - 4/15/2017
    Anonymous • software engineer • Student

You will not make what they say after grad, and definitely not in the timely manner they say.

You sit there for 10 hours a day, with no help, learning to be "autonomous", which is an oxy-moron. When you can do this from home without spending $10,000+...

There are better resources online than here.

Save your month, save your time, study yourself.

• Poor Decision
    - 2/28/2017

Attending Hack Reactor the worst investement I have ever made in my life by a long shot. Really contemplate the cost of the program, cost of living in SF, and the months to years afterwards you'll be spending looking for a job before you attend this program.

• Boys Club
    - 12/21/2016

I graduated from Hack Reactor Remote program a few days ago. Hack Reactor is a great program, 17,000 dollars worth? I don’t think so.

If Hack Reactor cost 12,000 dollars the price would be right.

Hack Reactor helped me improve as a programmer in many ways but there was only one technical staff member and most of what I learned was during the project phase, during the second half of the 12 weeks; when Hack Reactor is no longer teaching students. Hack Reactor is very much a learn-it-yourself type of program. I think the 12,000 dollars is only worth it because Hack Reactor creates a rigorous learning environment, aka scheduled discipline, and because of Hack Reactor’s outcome team.

I wish Hack Reactor tried a little harder to increase diversity or change the status quo of the tech industry but at the end of the day, Hack Reactor is just another business trying to make money. If you are a woman, specifically a woman of color, I would remember that Hack Reactor is a boys club just like the rest of the tech industry so be prepared for a lot man-explaining and condensing attitudes from your male counterparts.

I had the largest female cohort of 8 out of 32 people, Hack Reactor typically has 2–3 women, sometimes only 1 woman, per cohort.

I would say pioneer on, work hard, and make sure you take advantage of the Hack Reactor remote women’s community; they are your greatest resource during the program (I can’t stress this enough).

Hack Reactor was an incredibly rigorous few months of hard work, but from what I saw you gain exponentially with how much work you're willing to put in.

The curriculum is tough but doable. It felt at times like it was moving too fast and I wasn't absorbing things, but I wound up surprised at how much I know (and now have time to go over the finer details, or the confidence to know I can learn it on the job). There were a couple of curriculum hiccups, but they're always asking for feedback and making improvements so I feel sure that they'll be straightened out before the next iteration (though the next generation may have to go through some new issues for the sake of the future as well). I don't think they could be the program they are without this process.

The staff is knowledgable and caring, but they're training you to be independent engineers and you shouldn't expect a ton of hand-holding. You definitely have to be disciplined and motivated enough to push yourself through the tough times. And there will be tough times, but it's worth it for what you can learn and the people you'll meet. And that's really one of the biggest draws - I got to meet and work with all these amazingly smart, driven people from all over, that I'd never have come across otherwise but am so happy I did.

My time at Hack Reactor was most certainly time well spent.  I come from a background that involved ZERO coding/programming/CS of any kind.  When I first heard about Hack Reactor, I seriously doubted that 3 months in a program could prepared me for mid-senior level engineering positions.  But, the more I researched, the more I realized it was possible.  After my 3 months at HR, I can honestly say that I am leaving with the skills I need to be a very successfuly software engineer.  I have learned different frameworks and technologies, but more importantly, I have learned how to learn (and at a very fast pace).  I can work successfully on both teams and independently.  Hack Reactor might not teach you how to build everything from start to finish, but they certainly provide you with all of the tools you need to figure it out.

If you're looking for a challenging program that requires you to dig deep and work hard, Hack Reactor can do just that.  It was by far the most challenging, and rewarding, experience I've ever had.