hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (240) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (55) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 21, 2019
    San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, New York City, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    After you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Financing options are available.
    Refund / Guarantee
    $1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Students need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Hack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
    Interview
    December 9, 2019 - Los AngelesApply by November 2, 2019
    October 21, 2019 - AustinApply by September 14, 2019
    December 9, 2019 - AustinApply by November 2, 2019
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 29, 2019
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Applicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Interview
    October 29, 2019 - Online
    December 9, 2019 - OnlineApply by November 2, 2019

• Anthony • Software Engineer • Graduate

I am a graduate of another coding bootcamp (Metis 13 Ruby on Rails Immersive) as well as HackReactor. I can confidently say that HackReactor is easily 10x higher quality than the other bootcamp I went to. I have never been to any educational institution that has the attention to detail that HackReactor has. Absolutely outstanding experience.

• Kelly • Graduate

It's extremely hard for me to fully express what sort of a difference this program has made in my life and, indeed, in the lives of people around me.

I had my reservations early on and not every single day at Hack Reactor went smoothly. There were moments of struggle, anxiety and deep, deep self doubt. There were times when it felt outright painful, especially when combined with the fatigue and separation from loved ones.

That said, there were even more moments of pure exhilaration. You know that warm, elated feeling you get when your brain is actively engaged in the process of learning something new and exciting and wonderful? Hack Reactor was essentially 800 hours of that feeling.

I come from some programming experience. I wrote some code in high school, dabbled as a hobbyist through college and graduate school and then actually worked for a couple of years maintaining a large code base for a eComm company. In spite what amounts to several years of experience over time, it's completely dwarfed by what I learned at Hack Reactor.

Finally, in terms of tangibles - Hack Reactor isn't blowing sunshine up your stack when they tout their numbers. Those are the real deal. I've been on the job market for less than three weeks after graduation (I was in HR19), and from week 1 onward I had the problem of having more interviews than I could sanely handle. Think about that - I don't know about the rest of you, but in all the industries I've worked in, I've never once had more interviews than I could reasonably manage. After 2 and a half weeks, I have 2 amazing offers from companies I would give my front teeth to work for and likely more on the way. It still doesn't fully feel real to me.

If you get into Hack Reactor, go to Hack Reactor. Yeah, it's expensive. Yeah, it's tough to find lodging in San Francisco. I don't care, find a way.

5/5 stars, would attend again.

• Walker Mellema • Software Engineer • Graduate

About me: I'm a mid-life career changer. I have a BA in Geography from Berkeley and an MBA from UT Austin. I started taking undergraduate programming classes a few years ago, thinking I'd get another Master's degree (in CS) and eventually a job as a software engineer. After a few semesters I got lucky and got an entry level job as a junior programmer. It was good experience, but the pay was WELL below average for a junior engineer and the tech stack was aging rapidly (a mix of C#/.NET, MS SQL, JS, jQuery). Even worse, I wasn't working with experienced engineers (always work with the smartest people you can find, you'll learn faster and become a better programmer) and the company was more interested in pushing new features out the door than producing high quality software.

So, after a year I started thinking about how to put my career on a different trajectory. I wanted to work with sharp engineers using the latest technology and best practices to write awesome code. I stumbled upon developer bootcamps, did some research, and decided to take a chance. I applied to Dev Bootcamp, App Academy, and Hack Reactor, all in San Francisco. The job market is starving for engineers in the Bay Area and it's by far the largest concentration (10X any other place) of engineering jobs in the country, so it seemed like the best place to be looking for a job after graduation.

App Academy seemed like the lowest risk, because you don't pay until you land a programming job, but they turned me down. Hack Reactor was interesting because of their focus on full-stack Javascript. Most of the other schools I looked at were teaching Ruby, although there were a few that taught in Python. Javascript is on a growth trajectory right now. It's embedded as THE front end language of the Internet, and a few years ago Node.js came on the scene (server-side JS) and since then there's been an explosion of new tools and libraries enabling full-stack JS development. Anyway, I made it through the tech interview (you have to study a LOT before you even get accepted to Hack Reactor), and when they accepted me I decided to take the plunge.

I quit my job in Austin, moved to San Francisco and spent 3 months, 70-80 hours per week doing nothing but studying software engineering, Javascript, and JS-related subjects like Node.js, AngularJS, Backbone, and MongoDB. Hack Reactor's primary focus is to teach you how to be a SOFTWARE ENGINEER, Javascript is just the language they chose to teach in. You also learn core engineering concepts like data structures, algorithms and algorithmic complexity/performance, and a lot more. It was an intense learning experience. You cannot master all of the material they expose you to. You'll spend your whole career trying to do that.

In my opinion, these are the things that make Hack Reactor an excellent bootcamp.

1) People: The instructors are all experienced, highly skilled engineers. They could be making a lot more money as engineers. They are dedicated to making HR the best bootcamp in existence, and producing top-notch engineers. They worked longer hours than the students did. The students are also great. HR accepts less than 10% of applicants and they are really good at choosing students you want to be around. You're going to spend all your waking hours with these students for 3 months, so you really want them to be people you like to work with.

2) Philosophy: HR strives for continuous improvement. They take feedback from students every week and change the program every "semester" to make it better. I spoke to HR graduates from the previous year who were a little jealous because the program had grown significantly and included additional topics that weren't covered when they were students. I'm sure I'll feel the same way about the program next year when I see what HR has become in a few more cycles.

3) Job Placement: The entire second half of the program is designed to make you employable. You switch from learning concepts and building small individual projects to working on teams, building bigger projects, learning how to succeed in tech interviews, etc. By the time you get to Hiring Day, where you get to meet hiring managers from roughly 30 companies, you have a substantial GitHub portfolio, a good story to tell, and an excellent chance of landing a job. They also have an alumni program/network, and when it's time to look for your NEXT job, they help with that too. It's too early too tell, but it feels like it's going to be a long-term relationship as my career develops.

There's a lot more I could say about how awesome HR is, but this covers the highlights. I had a great experience, made some good friends, and landed a great job at a startup in SF about a month after I graduated.

Before you get into one of these bootcamps, you're on the outside looking in, reading all of the marketing material on their websites, and asking yourself "Is it really worth it? Will I get a good job after I graduate? Which school should I apply to?". HR's website states their job placement rate is 99%. That sounds too good to be true, but it's not. ALL of the students who graduated from my class found jobs within 3 months. Most of them had never worked as a software engineer before. I could not be happier with my experience at Hack Reactor and I recommend it highly.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer - ClassDojo • Graduate

Hack Reactor was, in a word, awesome.  I was incredibly impressed by their ability to deliver all that they promised.  Below are some of what I believe are their greatest strengths.

• Class Quality - Hack Reactor's admissions are very selective.  Everyone entering the class has a good understanding of the basics of programming.  It's not a 0-60 program.  As someone with several years of prior programming experience (though none of it professional), this made it a great fit.  No time was spent on basic concepts like loops and conditionals.
    • Instructors - The lead instructors are incredibly rigorous in their teaching, and spend a lot of time refining their style.  The dedication shown was beyond that of any teacher of professor I'd had before.
    • Freedom - Much of the course is spent on independent projects, and even the structured assignments are highly customizable, with lots of extra credit.  This allows students to delve deep into their favored interests, and there will always be at least one knowledgable staff member who can help.
    • Job Assistance - We get a lot of practice with our interviews, and great inside tips on applications, resumes, and negotiations.  I would have been lost without all of this personal attention.

Hack Reactor was a wonderful, transformative experience, and I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

• Charles Holbrow • Research Assistant • Graduate

Hack reactor was am briliant fit for me... I'd done lots of programming on my own time... I took a few classes in college, but there were a lot of basics that I was missing: Algorithms, Data Structures, Big O Notation, closures, functional scope.

Hack Reactor really cemented these patterns in my mind, and I'm much more confident with my programming skills. I'm a grad student at MIT now, and I've had some of the best teachers around -- but no experience quite compares with Hack Reactor.

• Do it.
    - 10/28/2014

There are a few moments when you know your life forever changed. Hack Reactor creates one of those, sharply increasing your career trajectory and forging valuable friendships.

I applied to H/R because I knew I love to program, but wasn't satisfied with 'working my way up to software engineer over 3-5 years.' It's been the best decision I've made.

You will learn CS fundamentals, lots of frameworks, product engineering, and much more during an incredibly short time period where you'll work extremely hard.

The people who seemed to get the most from our cohort were the ones who stayed late, got drinks after, and generally bonded around the pain and euphoria of bending machines to our will.

I can't recommend Hack Reactor enough. If they accept you, go; you'll thank yourself a few short months later.

• Christen Thompson • Software Engineer • Graduate

Almost 2 years ago now I in San Francisco for the life changing experience of Hack Reactor.  I had seen a post on hacker news about a new programming school.  3 months of intense learning in Javascript.  I was an IT Director and did some programming  but I knew I wanted to become a developer full time. I interviewed with the founders and I got accepted into the first class!

I was little nervous because they had never done it before. Come to find out I had nothing to worry about,  Marcus, Tony, Shawn and the other instructors were well prepared and organized. When things didn't go exactly as planned they were quick to respond and fix any problems.

The whole course design was project based we would  have a lecture, then a day of coding, code review then a refactor.  Pair programming was a great benefit to me.  Working in pairs made for increased energy as we all pushed each other forward. The material we learned was useful and we used it to build actual apps.  We created our own personal project after and that we separated into groups and created our capstone project which we showed off to employers.

I am amazed at how much we learned in such a short time.  The students were motivated, the teachers all cared about our success and taught us the skills necessary to succeed in the software development world.  I quickly got several job offers after graduation and 2 years later I am working at an amazing company with a great a team of engineers.  This is a place I wouldn't have been without Hack Reactor.,

Thank you Shawn, Marcus, Tony and all the other instructors!  Thank you for creating a place that changed my life, increased my skill set and made me immediately employable after graduation.

• Life Changing
    - 10/18/2014
    Jon Tewksbury • Software Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor was the single most beneficial thing I have ever done for myself. I have a Bachelor's Degree from a four year college, and I would have taken the 12 weeks spent at Hack Reactor over my four years in college in a hearbeat, even if I still had to pay the $100k+ to Hack Reactor that I paid in college tuition.

I could wax eloquent about Hack Reactor for pages, but to keep the review short, everything everyone else has said is true. I was a huge skeptic of the metrics that Hack Rector says they keep for hiring stats, and I was already employed full-time with a family I had to take care of. Since I was offered a job two weeks before even graduating for twice what I was making before leaving to attend Hack Reactor, and pretty much all of the people who went through the program with me are getting great offers, I can say the metrics are true.

Hack Reactor changed my life, and I am left with the feeling that I owe them more. I was worried about the tuition beforehand, since it is the most expensive program, but after going through it and seeing the changes it allowed me to make in my life, I feel like I underpaid by quite a bit.

Opportunities like this come around once in a lifetime, if you are considering it, just go for it, I can't imagine your life not being improved many times over by the knowledge and experience that you will get going through this program.

• Blake West • Software Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor was one of the most fun and intense 3 months of my life. I was there very early (class #6, which was Aug '13). I truly enjoyed it. If you want a more complete breakdown, I did a weekly blog while I was attending (http://sympatheticvibration.com/category/hack-reactor-journal/). But the short of it is, if you're gonna go to a coding school, you pretty much should aim to go to Hack Reactor, and only consider other options if you don't get in. The teachers are amazing. The students are all very smart and interesting, which really helps give energy to the room and motivate everyone. They do "sprint reflectiosn" every 2 days with students, so they can keep refining and improving the curriciulum. The stuff they're teaching you is on the cutting edge of modern web technology, and they teach it extremely well, which is why the job placement rate is 99%. Also, the salary numbers are completely accurate. I could go on, but just read the blog I wrote, because it details things much more.

• Amazing Experience
    - 10/17/2014
    Andreas Nauleau • Software Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor was an amazing experience that I continue to draw from professionally and personally. The school not only teaches you how to develop but they also provide you with job assistance. I was part of the second cohort so the curriculum and class have changed but the spirit is the same. I would recommend the experience to anyone interested in workiing in the tech industry.

• Best Experience
    - 10/16/2014

Hack Reactor is one of the greatest decisions I have made in my career. It jump started me from 0 to 60 in just three months. Great support while learning javascript as well as on the job hunt. Wouldn't have been able to do it in such a short period of time wtihout them. Love the atmosphere and culture that they have built.

• Top notch program
    - 10/14/2014
    Vinnie • Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor in January 2014 and it was one of the best educational decisions I could have made.  HR has a fantastic all around software engineering curriculum with a focus on JavaScript.

The lecture instructors are generally very helpful and always encourage the students to stop lecture when something is not understood.  The material is a cumulative reflection of all the students that have come before and evaluated its effectiveness, so the lectures are pretty much on point with delivery and the material covered.  You will learn more about JavaScript in a few weeks than you could teach yourself in a few years, easily.

About the curriculum:

Every morning starts out with a toy problem to work on and a solution lecture.  They are questions and problems you will see in your technical interviews.

There are a few weeks of 2 day sprints that encompass things a full-stack engineer might use on a day to day basis.  The curriculum does, as mentioned, change frequently but I think the general outline is still that you'll learn a couple front end frameworks, databases, server-side programming, deployment, testing. The sprints are fun and will have you building or solving something new every few days.  These are usually kicked off with a quick lecture to get you familiar with what you're about to be using but not meant to give away too much.  During sprints there is a help system that students can use to get "unstuck".  Help requests are answered by a variety of people including alumni, hackers-in-residence, staff, etc.

There are two project periods where teams of students can either go offsite and work for a client on something they need done or work on a project of their own.  This is the real meat of the course and where you will learn a ton about engineering.  This experience varies depending on who you work for, who you work with and what your project is but in my opinion, you get what you paid for during this time period.  There is no substitute for actually building something substantial.

Hack Reactor excels in Job Assistance.  There is a period of time dedicated to it in the program.  You will have professional help on resumes, interviewing techniques, technical interview questions, and social media.  You will participate in a hiring day with some super exciting Bay Area companies (we had apple, facebook, bigcommerce, a smattering of various stage start-ups, etc..) and get a chance to have a lightning talk with them and a social event after to get your foot in the door even further with those you liked most.  Hack Reactor will also continue to help you with getting a job long after your course is done and you will be welcomed into any hiring day events if you are needing to find a new job.

At the end, you'll be in a very marketable and employable position.  Most people have jobs within a month or so of graduation, some longer or shorter than that.

All in all, if you're even thinking about applying, do it.  Hack Reactor is a solid choice and you will definitely not regret attending.

I was skeptical about coding bootcamps at first, but after Hack Reactor @ Galvanize, I saw for myself why it was such a highly-rated program.

One of my greatest personal takeaways from the program was how it fundamentally changed my outlook on learning, and really stretched the boundaries of what I previously thought was attainable. It still surprises me, up till today, how much I've managed to achieve in such a short amount of time. I can say with confidence that the curriculum preps you well in terms of technical skills, personal growth, and the job search that comes thereafter.

I think the outcomes of the program speak for themselves. I have finally secured a job I've only dreamed of in the past and my only regret is not taking the plunge sooner!

• I liked HR
    - 2/28/2019
    Anonymous • React/Node developer • Graduate

If you truly want to learn this stuff, are fully willing to put in the work and willing to give your life to HR for 13 weeks You will come out and be ahead of other boot camps or people right out school. If you put in the work and there is a lot of it and all very hard then HR will make sure you can success. I also was the in the last class that did Greenfield, Legacy and thesis. Really i had no ides what i was doing till a week in to greenfield. Leaving HR I felt like i was in the buton 15% skill wise. I started my job at the same time as someone who went to dev mountain and the things I knew over him was a big different. The staff is good the info is good like the slides oh my there amazing when i started my job i went back a reread them and there so good. I feel this school is worth it but you as a person has to put in all the work just because you finished from this place does not mean you will get a job or one fast. I had to look for fiveish months before I found one. I walked in to a mid roll coding my first day.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated Hack Reactor 2 months ago with confidence in job searchihng. I realized that I really enjoyed working with React and web development in general. Also, I was eager to enrich and refine my backend skills to expert level. I wanted to learn cutting edge frameworks in dynamic and interactive team environment. So, I decided to join Hack Reactor because I heard that Hack Reactor has really good curriculum for both technical and non-technical aspects. I loved it. Experience in Hack Reactor made me even a stronger software engineer with better engineering habits, robust Test Driven Development and Agile experience, practical and scalable development experience, deep exposure with cutting edge frameworks, and soft skill development. In addition, job searching support after graduation from career coach is great. Lastly, instructors and staffs are professional and supportive.

• Great program
    - 9/6/2018
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor has a great curriculum and overall great experience. It jump started my learning and my career into engineering, but I think there could be more resources and assistance for finding jobs after the program ends.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

You get in what you put into the program.

This is an opportunity to either improve your career options or to change your life for the better, IF you work at it.

Hack Reactor will provide the environment, curriculum and path to being a software engineer, but only with your blood, sweat, tears (and a little luck) will get you to where you need to be. However, it is a supportive environment both emotionally and mentally that will test your desire and ability to become a software engineer.

Course starts with basic CS concepts - and a chance to review what you should have already covered during precourse and SSP.

Then it shifts towards frameworks and applicable skillsets. The curriculum changes to match industry needs to make sure students are as competitive in the marketplace as possible.

• Anonymous • Unemployed • Graduate

When I attended, the statistics were 95% had a job within 3 months with an average of $105,000 per year. That's no longer the case because the market has become oversaturated by applicants with no experience. Many companies won't even consider you without previous employment as a software engineer. Currently, the job search takes closer to an average of 6 months.

The entire job application process is a real crapshoot. A lot of us sent out hundreds of resumes, resulting in only a few onsite interviews. That's one reason job placement isn't too strongly correlated with abilities. Most of the people who did get a job got it from a referral.

If you have a technical background (eg mechanical engineer), a technical degree (CS, physics, math etc) or previous experience as a programmer then things will be much easier for you. For everyone else, a solid portfolio and online presence will be a tremendous help to get you interviews because just getting to the point where you can demonstrate your abilities takes a lot of time and effort.

• Anonymous • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate

Attending Hack Reactor was one of the BEST decisions I have ever made; it changed my life. I started my first job as a full stack engineer about a month ago, and Hack Reactor has fully prepared me to perform competently. I knew before beginning Hack Reactor that I would get a good education, but I was skeptical about outcomes; I worried I wouldn't be able to find a job. I have to say that, out of all the things Hack Reactor provides, I was most blown away by their outcomes support. My outcomes coach was there for me every step of the way, and I was able to find a job in less than two months after starting the job search.

Before I begin my review of Hack Reactor’s remote program I think it would be beneficial to leave a brief personal background. I am a university student studying business and decided to attend Hack Reactor during the summer between my third and fourth year to get technical programming experience. During my business degree I have taken a number of computer science courses which helped me make the decision that I wanted to become a software engineer with a background in business and move towards developing business software as a career path.  With that as my goal, attending Hack Reactor turned out to be the best decision I could have made even though one of my other options was to complete a computer science degree at my university.

Now to talk specifically about Hack Reactor's remote immersive development program I will list and describe my pros and cons of the program.

Pros

1. The staff and their obsession with receiving feedback

The first pro I would like to write about is definitely the staff that makes the program one of the best out there. Each staff member (instructor, counsellor, recruitment advisor, teaching assistant…) understands the responsibility they have facing them and that the reason they have developed one of the best program’s among their competitors is because of their interest and perhaps obsession, with receiving feedback and then acting on such feedback.

Furthermore, since the remote class has (as I write) taught over 25 cohorts of roughly 25-30 students each, they have been able to develop a program that is incredibly effective at bringing in smart students with little development experience and turning them into software engineers with the skills to land high paying jobs immediately after graduation.

2. Your ability to become a software developer, not just a JavaScript software developer.

Before attending I was concerned that I was only going to be able to find jobs after graduation in JavaScript however Hack Reactor’s curriculum has been carefully designed to develop software developers while using JavaScript as the language to accomplish that goal. Many of my other cohort students have been finding opportunities developing software in other languages than JavaScript (i.e Java, Python, C…) in addition to the many students who did end up landing jobs in JavaScript roles.

3. The constantly evolving curriculum

One important reason behind Hack Reactor’s success in developing great software engineers is there ability and effort to stay on top of industry trends and change the curriculum when they see fit. Since the school takes responsibility for developing engineers who will have the skills to be able to find full time employment after graduation they hold themselves accountable for teaching students the most up to date technologies and skills. If they see that a new technology is gaining prominence in the industry they have the ability to work at getting new projects and lectures structured so that the next incoming cohort will be able to get that experience. Contrast this to university (mine in particular), where a change to the curriculum of a program takes at minimum 1.5 years.

4. Structured and challenging admissions process

This is another very important point that many other programming boot camps do not take as seriously as Hack Reactor. The admissions team does an incredible job at accepting the smartest and most motivated and energetic students who you will end up developing very close relationships with over the course of the 12 week program. Nearly all of the projects that you will develop at Hack Reactor are done in groups and never having to worry about who you will be paired with is one advantage which makes the school one of the best among its peers. In addition to being exposed to the best of applicants who you will be working with in your cohort, you also gain exposure to thousands of Hack Reactor alumni who are also as smart, energetic and motivated as you are who are always willing to spend time to give you advice or help understand a particular industry or company in which you are interested.

Con

1. Little time for rest and recovery

Finally I’ll take this opportunity to say that this program is not for everyone mainly for the reason that the course runs for 12 weeks, 6 days a week and a minimum of 10 hours a day. It is intense and not everyone will be able to handle it. When I first began I found it quite challenging to get acquainted with the intensity of the program but very quickly was able to get used to the course load. In addition if you are truly interested in programming and software development, time will fly by and you will find yourself looking forward to coming back to the computer on your spare time to continue learning.

To conclude I should mention one thing, this type of program might not match your learning style. If you’re someone who does not work well in a fast paced program and who may not be able to handle the heavy course load and intensity then you will find this program incredibly difficult. However, if you are someone who thinks you might be able to handle the course load you will excel and look back never thinking it would have been possible to learn that much in such little time. A truly great learning experience which has completely accelerated my career path and life.

• HR is great
    - 9/2/2017

For people who want to learn what matters. When I think of HR I think of this Bruce Lee Quote:

"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."

Hack Reactor is useful. It skips what is useless. It allows you to come into your own and in such a way that has a high ROI.

• a joke
    - 8/17/2017

Make sure to ask how much time you'll be spending coding because I assure you, with two hour lunches on the regular, it isn't as much as you would assume. Everything I learned I learned in the project phase, the largely self-taught portion of the course. The sprints are a waste, they move too quickly for one to absorb the content presented for the long term and the lack of instruction confuses things as they are anyway. Our Angular sprint for example was so bungled I'm still confused, months later. Paltry oversight from a 'tech mentor' who himself graduated Hack Reactor and doesn't seem to have done anything else. No professional experience, no help. HiRs (TAs) help with the sprints AND with most of the career-related stuff. What qualifications do they have? They gradutaed from Hack Reactor in the last 6 weeks and haven't found a job themselves yet. Very disappointing overall.

• Anonymous • JavaScript Engineer • Graduate
    • Positives
      • You'll get job offers with high salaries and great benefits once you're done
      • You will actually know what you're doing when you start said job
      • Without question the best way to switch careers and become a software engineer in the shortest time frame possible
      • Fun experience if you love to code and build stuff
      • Extremely supportive, happy, and optimistic staff
    • Negatives
      • They never sent me my Hack Reactor hoodie that they said they would send me after I finished >:(
      • The course is hard and you'll be stressed throughout a lot of it
      • You have no life when you're doing the program
      • Job searching after you're done sucks regardless of whether or not it's going well