hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (302) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (63) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationDenver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, New York City, Los Angeles, Austin, San Francisco, San Jose, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    DepositAfter you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies like Ascent Funding and Climb Credit that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Tuition PlansFinancing options are available.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    Scholarship$1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Prep WorkHack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
  • Remote Full-time Software Engineering Immersive

Prep Workhttps://www.hackreactor.com/prep-programs
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Tuition PlansApplicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
  • Well worth it.
    - 3/13/2021
    Antoine Balaine • Graduate
    Great curriculum, especially the first phase of the immersive. The process involved:
    -a pre-course section about programming-basics that lasted about a month (at $250, it's the best-priced prep-course you'll find in all the boot camps)
    -a self-study section (1 month-long) once you were accepted
    -a first phase of the immersive (6 weeks) split between the javascript specifics & coding some small apps
    -a second phase of the immersive (6 weeks) containing three big projects (an e-commerce page, a cloud infrastructure,  and a student-chosen project)
    -a job-search preparation-week (setting up resumes, cover letters, etc.)
    -a job-search support program (up to 21 weeks) containing talks & tech-interview-prep sessions.

During all of the preparation phase and the immersive, you have access to a helpdesk (generally composed of graduates) 6 days a week, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Downsides/reproaches:
    -The immersive program gives introductory tech-lectures at the beginning of every new sprint. Some of the dry-extract of the lectures can be very light on the content, with guest lecturers sometimes showing up without notes and just reacting to what they see on their slides. Though this doesn't take away from the rest of the program, I often left the lectures feeling hungry for more.
    -the e-commerce-page project was too long and could have benefitted from concept-recaps. This is the only section in which we were left unsupported, which resulted in us being unable to complete the last section of the project. My cohort complained, and afaik the staff is updating the curriculum to fix the issue.

To sum it up:
     At $19k, you're actually getting a lot more than just three months of training. On top of the tech skill, I feel like I came out of the program with a strong ability to autonomously figure out new tech in time-stressed environments, and I'm confident I'll be able to find a job in the upcoming weeks.
    I recommend Hack Reactor whole-heartedly and would take it again without hesitation. That being said, put your seatbelts on, and keep in mind that this program can't work without you giving it your 200%.
  • Andy P. • Graduate
    Like many people during the Covid-19 pandemic, I wanted to pick up a new skill to fill up my time. I slowly started picking up some Javascript and thought "Hey, maybe I can change careers with this route". I took Hack Reactor's Pre Course program which is free in order to gain some more knowledge and eventually tested into their Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive Program. With the amount of skills that I picked up in the pre course, I thought the program wouldn't be too difficult and I was wrong about that.

The immersive program was by far the most challenging program that I've been to, and the most fulfilling one that I've gotten the pleasure of accomplishing. If you asked me at the beginning of the program what a data structure was, or how could you scale a full-stack application, I wouldn't be able to answer you at all. Through those twelve weeks, I've learned many things about myself, and with the support from my cohort mates, technical mentors, technical lead, and pretty much all staff that I've encountered during my time at Hack Reactor, they've helped make it possible for me to grow into the software engineer that I can be proud of.

Not only does Hack Reactor dive deep into the programming world, but they also help prepare you for job search by introducing networks and dedicating an entire week to prepare you for the next step after graduation. And for that, I am grateful that I suddenly came across this program and decided to stick with it.

All in all, if you're someone who likes a challenge everyday for a 12-weeks/40hr-week program, Hack Reactor is the one for you.
  • Russell Esperanza • Front End Developer • Graduate
    Hack Reactor provides just enough guidance while still allowing students to be curious and autonomous. You will learn certain concepts by completing two-day projects/sprints during the junior phase. During the senior phase you are put into teams and are tasked with completing 3 capstone projects. These projects put you in a simulated work environment that allows students to self-organize and get hands on experience with agile software development with limited guidance. I made the decision to switch careers and started learning JavaScript about 6 months before I started the immersive and I'm amazed at how much I've learned from the program. They did a great job of covering not only technical skills, but soft skills as well. The staff are wonderful and very much invested in your development and success.
  • Andrew • Frontend Software Engineer • Graduate
    I attended HR in 2018 at their SF campus. It was an experience for sure. I did not come from a CS background but had some experience doing QA at a small web dev shop. I will say that if you can / are willing to put in the time, Hack Reactor will support you. They will not hold your hand the entire time or even half that, but they will give you the resources and more importantly (at least in my case) the community to help you best leverage those resources. There was a common joke at the time that all of us had migrated to SF from far away places and paid a large amount of money to just sit in a room and struggle for 3 months. What that experience taught me is how to communicate thoughts to others in a relatable way, how to ask the right questions not only of others but also to google, and how to learn things quickly. I think these things are some of the most important skills that you can have going into the tech industry. HR will tell you to ask questions if you don't understand something, please do me a favor and listen to them when they say that. There is honestly no better space I've yet found to feel so comfortable not knowing the answer.

At least when you're in person, the additional resources after you complete HR are incredibly noteworthy. At the SF campus, I could schedule mock interviews with other students and instructors, talk to career coaches, and get inspired to keep pushing as many of my cohortmates were also searching out of the base of operations that was located at the galvanize campus.

I will not lie and say that it is easy. Sure it'll be easier for some, but not so much for others. I am others. I spent the next six months after graduating, juggling work and a job search in a foreign and expensive city with no contacts other than classmates. And I ended up finding work not in SF. It was a draining process. But I have to say it was worth it in the end once I'd finally accomplished what I'd set out to do.

Enter 2020, I lost my first job to a reorganization and was back on the search in the middle of the pandemic. There is a whole network of people that I was able to contact via a HR alumni's slack group and an extremely talented alumni career coach that put me in touch with some alumni for interviews. When I finally was in the final stages of my negotiations with another company that same career coach gave excellent advice on how to properly negotiate for what I needed from my new employer.

All in all, I think it's a worthwhile investment, but by no means is it a guarantee of success in a particular amount of time.
  • Life changing
    - 9/2/2020
    Connor Campbell • Front-end developer • Student
    Hack Reactor was one of the most challenging experiences of my life. It really put me on an entirely different trajectory. Even after 4 years I can still ask for help in negations for a new job. The staff always goes above and beyond. The students are top notch.
  • Alon R. • Software Engineer • Student
    I went to Hack Reactor Remote Beta in the fall of 2015. I had no coding background and it was one of the hardest, and most rewarding things I've done. We worked 6 days a week, 11+ hours a day (a lot more during project phase). I graduated in December of 2015 and became a Hacker in Residence for a few months before starting my job search. I was able to land a job in about 2 months.

When I came on the job, I expected it to be just like Hack Reactor, long days, very heads down. What I realized though, was that Hack Reactor made doing my job very easy. Since I was used to working so hard and having to solve unknown issues quickly to make it through, getting in on my first corporate job was pretty smooth sailing. I felt confident that whatever they gave me, I could figure out. It is still like that to this day. The skills I learned at Hack Reactor have translated into every area of my life!

I went from working menial jobs to a high paid software career extremely quickly and I'm so grateful. My career coach was amazing, the community of alumni is amazing, and I would recommend to anyone looking to get into the field quickly. You can absolutely learn on your own, but I found that the instruction and community was top notch and gave me a leg up on the job.
  • Derek Sakamoto • CTO and Co-founder • Graduate
    Hack Reactor was one of the most life-changing experiences of my life for the relationships I made and the life lessons it taught me. I joined Hack Reactor after the start of a successful career as a Management Consultant, and I already had a degree in Computer Science from a highly selective college. There was something that told me I just needed a life-change.

What I found was really the most talented group of peers I ever come across. My cohort and the neighboring cohorts had some of the brightest people I met in my life coming from all walks of life. This diversity really pushed me to form great relationships that turned into life-long friendships and valuable career connections. This was my favorite part because my relationships with the staff (Marlene Tang and Blake) and my peers are the most valuable thing to me.

For a curriculum, I felt that HR taught me everything I needed to know to be a full-stack software engineer. It gave a high-profile startup in the autonomous car & IoT industry the confidence to make me their first software engineering hire, where I built the MVP for their fleet management app: the company now has a private valuation over $1B.

As I mentioned above, I also made lasting relationships with the staff Blake and Marlene Tang. Marlene looked out for everything and held people to be accountable to what they said they were going to do. Her care for each student is reflected in how much we all love her, and she is a driving force in keeping the alumni group together.

While I only spent a short stint of my career as a software engineer, before moving onto Product and Founder, Hack Reactor was one of the most memorable experiences of my life and changed my already charmed life for the better.
  • Katherine Manning • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I attended the Hack Reactor in-person software engineering immersive in late 2017, graduating in January 2018 and it was one of the best choices I ever made. At a high level: I got quality instruction, made lifelong friendships, and prepared to start in a brand new industry. Let's break it down:

The Challenges:

1. Programming is not for everyone. If you're looking at attending a bootcamp to get into the industry, so that you can make lots of money, then think again. Not everyone who graduates gets a job and not everyone who gets a job makes a huge salary, especially at first. Also, coding is a mind-numbing job if you don't already love it. If the prospect of spending days figuring out a tricky bug doesn't fill you with delight and excitement, this isn't the career for you.

2. Bootcamps are not for everyone. Learning at a bootcamp is like drinking from a firehose. You get a ton of information in a very short period of time and you have to do your best to slot it into your mental model at an insane speed. If you're the kind of person who needs to read every word in a book or understand every single line in a program before you're comfortable moving on, then this is not the kind of learning for you. You might do better with a part time program or courses through a university or community college. A full time bootcamp will cram a year or more of information into your brain in 3 months or less. Time to process is a luxury you will not have until after you graduate.

3. The hours are long and hard. You're present for a minimum of 11 hours.a day 5 days a week and 8 hours a day on the 6th day (63 hours minimum). That doesn't include after hours study time, which you will need if you want to succeed. If you can't commit to 80 hour weeks (plus commute), then this probably isn't the right option for you.

4. You get out of the program what you put in. If you do the minimum, skip days or exercises, and generally act like you're cool with getting just enough done to finish, then you're going to be woefully underprepared after graduation. There are some gatekeeping exercises to remove those who just can't keep up, but passing those isn't a measure of success, just survival. The staff and curriculum are very good, but they don't have the time to make you care. If you're not motivated to put in the necessary time and effort, you'll probably just be wasting your money.

5. Jobs are not guaranteed. Once you graduate, you have to find a job. While there are career coaches to help, they work with lots of new grads and most of the effort is up to you. Job hunting is a skill completely separate from coding -- there are lots of great engineers who interview very badly -- and you won't have the same benefit of the doubt or track record to point to when you're a new grad. Career changers actually tend to do better than recent college grads because they have previous experience they can point to and draw from, even if it's not engineering experience. Soft skills matter just as much as technical ones and they're largely transferable from previous careers.

The Benefits:

1. The instructors are great. We had some amazing instructors with lots of real-world engineering experience teaching us. They helped us debug our code and guided us on our projects. They put in long hours to make sure we understood recursion and sat with us while we figured out why Elasticache wouldn't run on the t2.micro we set up.

2. The curriculum is best in class. I know a lot of bootcamp grads (I'm married to one, in fact -- he's the one who convinced me to try this out) and HR grads regularly outperform the other bootcamps in the area. I graduated with a better knowledge of dev ops (CI/CD, AWS, Docker, etc.) than some mid-level full stack devs I knew at the time.

3. The alumni network is great. We have a Slack instance with more than 5000 alumni registered. While not everyone participates, there are lots of us who do. You get lively debate in the #bikeshedding channel, help in the #career-advice channel, and job leads in #whos-hiring. We have grads who are senior engineers who help the newbies, both with technical and life decisions. Many of us who didn't attend the program together (different campuses, different cohorts) have still become friends through the alumni network. (And this also helps you find jobs, especially after your first -- our friends are always going to be our strongest referrals and leads.)

It's been 2.5 years since I've graduated. I'm at my 2nd engineering job, which I love, doing work that I'm consistently happy about. I'm well paid and valued by my company and given lots of opportunities for continued education and growth. I can see a bright future for myself in this industry. It took a lot of hard work and some luck to get here, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Does this mean that you should go to Hack Reactor? Only you can answer that. Attending a bootcamp is always a risk and hard work, while a requirement, is not a guarantee of success. But if you've truthfully looked at the 5 challenges above and believe that a coding bootcamp is the right choice for you, then there's no better place to do it than Hack Reactor.
  • David Goldberg • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I went through Hack Reactor's software engineering immersive program in 2015 and it was hands down the best decision I've ever made. The program is world class in terms of quality, structure, and preparing you to hit the ground running as a software engineer at your job on day 1. Not only did I develop the skills needed to hit the ground running but I met several of my closest friends that I'll have for the rest of my career and life. The alumni network has been valuable as well. Would highly recommend to anyone and if you're trying to get into software engineering the program is amazing. I found my job within weeks of graduating. It does take a lot of work and effort and I tell people that you get out of it what you put in which is relevant here.
  • Luke Davis • Graduate
    I graduated from Hack Reactor in 2015, and have since then worked at startups (Planet and Patreon), tech giants (Google), and even started my own company (Babylon House), and I can say with no reservations: Hack Reactor is the best of the best. The instruction is top notch, the leadership is excellent, and the alumni community, thanks to the endless energy and enthusiasm of Marlene Tang, is better than even an Ivy League school or Google. Had I a chance to go back in time and advise my high-school self, I wouldn't tell him to get a CS degree; I'd tell him about Hack Reactor.
  • Highly Recommended
    - 4/17/2020
    Patrick Bennett • Graduate
    Simply put, Hack Reactor's Software Engineering Immersive program in Seattle in my opinion was and still is the best bootcamp out there.  After speaking with numerous grads and students from other bootcamps in the area I feel absolutely comfortable in saying that it's curriculum provides a far more in-depth study of both fundamental CS concepts as well as work on software engineering projects in the senior phase actually mimic real on-the-job engineering work.  This program requires you to actually to work in an agile-like environment implementing full-stack core concepts on a daily basis instead of just being told about them, which may not seem like a difference between other schools but I have yet to see another program that works this way.

I will put in some words of warning however, that this program is not a suitable option for everyone who is deciding to attend a bootcamp to switch careers or brush up and hone their previously existing skills.  The coursework is rigorous and seemingly never-ending.  On one hand you cover so much material this way that it puts you in a fantastic position for your job search, but on the other, no matter your skill level, it does require 100% percent of your attention and focus for the entire time that you spend in the program.  You will have late nights.  You will code through your lunches.  You will work an absolute bare minimum of 60 hour weeks (I have never seen a student across several cohorts who spent that little time each and every week.). You will be required to pick up and retain core concepts at lightning speed.  You will be overwhelmed.  You will struggle.  But, you will ultimately pick up so much more information this way.

What truly separates this particular bootcamp from the rest besides the material covered and the manner of the course's educational model is the staff, specifically for when I was in the program - the tech mentor/campus lead.  Because of the low acceptance rate and the program's relative infancy physically located in Seattle, class sizes are low which allows for much more interaction with the on-campus instructor.  Each location exercises a considerable amount of autonomy in coursework across all of Hack Reactor's campuses and I believe that the Seattle campus truly provides a better overall experience because of it's instructor's ability to directly interface with students far more often than on other campuses.

The only minor quibble that I have with the program is that while the career services instructor is very accessible, and a fantastic resource, they inherited a broken system from the previous program that Hack Reactor took over relatively recently that they are in the process of constantly adding to. The networking in both the physical location as well as through a nation-wide alumni is great though.  Many of the people that I met through the Seattle campus have gone on to work with the likes of some of the big players in the industry (Amazon, IBM, Atlassian, etc..) while others have gone on to smaller companies (with some eye-popping salaries.)

If you are serious about putting in any amount of work required to switch careers, are confident in your ability to completely dedicate several months of life to learning the skills required to actually navigate a very competitive job market, and have a detail-oriented, disciplined, but creative analytical mind, then this program is for you.  If you do not match up to each and every one of those criteria, or if you are looking for a program that allows you to have a balance with your personal life then I would suggest to look at other options.
  • Fawn Bertram • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Back when I had my mid-20s career crisis, I decided to narrow down the industries I was interested in to Tech and Real Estate. Discovered Tech was far easier to enter and earn high pay in, and it dominated the area that I live in, SF, so I chose Tech. I figured the most valuable skillset in Tech is programming, and the best coding bootcamp was HR, so I went to Hack Reactor. Google even paid for 2/3 of the cost due to our educational benefit, and the fact that I didn't leave long enough to lose my benefits, and then I came back to do a rotation as an engineer. HR had a great curriculum, teachers (Alan and Frank), impressive peers, and an extremely valuable outcomes team that taught me how to job search before and after my rotation was over. After my rotation was over and long after I graduated, I still got support from Marlene Fong on the outcomes team, even though she wasn't assigned to assist alumni, in order to find my new job at Adobe. HR is one big family in the end, and I'm so grateful to everyone I encountered along this journey for making my life possible.