hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (240) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (55) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 21, 2019
    San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, New York City, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    After you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Financing options are available.
    Refund / Guarantee
    $1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Students need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Hack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
    Interview
    December 9, 2019 - Los AngelesApply by November 2, 2019
    October 21, 2019 - AustinApply by September 14, 2019
    December 9, 2019 - AustinApply by November 2, 2019
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 29, 2019
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Applicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Interview
    October 29, 2019 - Online
    December 9, 2019 - OnlineApply by November 2, 2019

• Masashi Swingle • Graduate

I can't speak on behalf of HR Remote that has received a lot of recent hate, but my experience at HR Onsite from Sept - Dec of 2016 was fantastic.

HR's Most Valuable Assets to me

Instructors and Staff: 5 Stars easily.. to name a few

• Josh: Really really smart and compassionate. Makes sure no one falls behind, provides additional lectures or 1on1s, and genuinely cares about every students' success.
    • Benji, Zak: Helped me out tremendously especially right before the cumulative assessment. Gave 1on1s, advice, additional lectures, and kept me on the tracks to success.

Location: 5 Stars: Easy commute.

Environment: 5 Stars: HR does a great job picking out people that can get along with each other to spend 13 stressful weeks with.

Self Autonomy: 5 Stars: I don't have that mentality anymore where I look at the problem and tell myself "I don't know how the ***k to do this"

Things to improve:

Job search prep: I wish we were able to have more than just a couple of mock coding interview sessions with an instructor. If there was an additional week of practicing alogorithms, schemas, data structures, and anything else that would show up on an interview, HR would be about perfect.

Toilet Paper: I hate 1 ply.

Notes/Tips:

Live Lectures > Recorded: Our class was fortunate enough to receive a lot of in-person lectures (scheduled and unscheduled) and even one from the co-founder of npm, Laurie Voss. Make sure to keep it this way.

Take advantage of the resources provided and you'll be in good hands.

One misconception I can maybe address

"Hacker in Residence are recent graduates who couldn't get jobs"

From what I saw, many of the top students in my cohort were the ones that became Hackers in Residence. Extremely knowledgable and were usually the ones to go to to ask a quick question.

If anyone wants an honest answer, shoot me an email.
    masashiswingle@hotmail.com

• Over and above
    - 12/12/2016
    Guy • Student

Walking into hack reactor I was skeptical that it could live up to the hype. It seemed way too good to be true. I can assure you it is even better than anything that you could ever expect.

Over the 3 months I was able to transform my skills from basic coding challenges into being fully capable of building any web application that I want. They build your skillset to be able to pick up any framework or language - and the stuff our cohort built was quite incredible. We had a mixture of vr apps, mobile apps, and web apps.

I thought it would be gruelling with such long hours. But I never felt like I was working. It felt like I was with some of my closest friends solving puzzles all day. I didn't want to be anywhere else in the world.

So if you're in doubt. Take the plunge, you won't regret it.

• Amad Khan • Software Engineer • Graduate

I came to Hack Reactor to learn how to build full stack apps and not simple front end websites. And at every level Hack Reactor has given me the knowledge and training I need to build amazing things.

At Hack Reactor, I built:

- Mobile applications (https://github.com/smartiecereals/glazedgallopers)

- A photo-sharing virtual reality app (https://github.com/lowtalkers/escape-reality)

- A trip planning collaboration tool (https://github.com/smartiecereals/glampr)

All of these were made using technologies that are being used at startups and big companies right now. Before Hack Reactor, the most I could make was a to-do list website using simple jQuery and after Hack Reactor I was able build virtual reality apps with multiple backend technologies. The difference is evident.

But, they don't just teach you programming, they also teach you how to learn, how to communicate, how to collaborate in a team and how to apply for jobs.

I highly recommend Hack Reactor to anyone who is interested in software, looking for a career upgrade or anyone who wants to start a technology company.

Thank you for listening!

• Natasha Che • Graduate

Before I begin my review, I want to mention that I signed up for Hack Reactor not to seek engineering jobs, but to build my own startup projects. You can say that every review on here is a subjective assessment of HR. But since I don’t need anything from Hack Reactor after graduation (you know, things like job search support, recommendations, etc.), I feel my review is as impartial as it can get. Judge for yourself, of course.

Hack Reactor is the Navy SEALs of coding schools. Navy SEALs is wonderful. But Navy SEALs is not for everybody. Neither is Hack Reactor. If you are driven, self-reliant, have a good head on your shoulders, and are prepared to go the extra 100 miles and more, Hack Reactor is your school. If you want work-life balance and are more comfortable having teachers spoon-feed you, or if you think by paying an expensive tuition you’ve somehow “paid the dues” and can just expect magical success thereafter, then look elsewhere. (Actually, if you are the last kind, no need to look. No school will fit your bill.)

I joined the HR Remote’s 19th cohort in September 2016, after picking up Javascript in June and finishing Fulcrum (HR’s pre-school program) in August. Before June 17th 2016, I had no experience in programming except some half-assed Matlab.

The admission interview for me was a drama-free event, because Fulcrum gave me a pretty efficient roadmap as to what to prepare for the interview. I also had the incentive to prepare hard, because their policy was if I didn’t get accepted by one of their schools, I wouldn’t get my Fulcrum tuition refunded.

The remote classes are all conducted online of course. I said “classes”. But actually you don’t spend too much time listening to a teacher talk. Most of our time is spent doing things, i.e. coding. This is something you don't get by just hacking together a study plan with online tutorials. Coding is an activity you learn by actually practicing it, not by watching someone else do it. And the HR's framework gives you the maximum hands-on opportunity to practice actual coding with challening, realistic projects.

For the first half of the curriculum, the schedule is broken down to mostly two-day sprints. On the first day of a sprint, you get the instructions about what you are expected to code/build. After exploring the problem on your own for a short period, you get together with a classmate (your sprint partner) and start writing code. You communicate with each other through video conferencing and share your code through an app that allows you to write to the same file online realtime. On the second day, after you’ve tried as much as you can at your tasks, HR releases suggested solution codes for the sprint. You study those. The day after that, the same process repeats, with a different coding partner and sprint subject.

HR provides some materials (e.g. videos) about the specific frameworks/concepts you should know in order to work on a sprint. But you are expected to go find whatever materials you need on your own to get the job done (e.g. googling, stack overflow, online tutorials, blogs, tips from your classmates, proceeds from selling your soul. Ok, the last one probably won’t help you much). You get some support from the help desk, which is manned by recent grads. But most time you won’t be given straightforward answers even if your helper knows the answer. You’re expected to problem-solve as much as possible on your own.

Now depending on your personality, this could be an unpleasant and chaotic experience (apparently the case according to some negative reviewers). Or it can be an exciting and efficient way to learn. You’re constantly being thrown in at the deep end and feeling like you’re drowning much of the time. At least that was the case for me, especially during Weeks 3-4. But I LOVED this style of learning. I loved the challenge, the autonomy, the discovery, and the fact that I’m in control of my own learning, all within a well-defined framework, so that I don’t proceed blindly while still having plenty of freedom. And the pressure to finish the sprints on time keep me on my toes all the time so that I really have to pick up new information at the maximum speed. Is it stressful? Yes. Is it uncomfortable? Yes. Is it amazing? YES!!

Again, I think how well you would take this learning approach depends on who you are. For example, there’re some negative reviews on here that said HR videos were not good, HR materials are not original, HR didn’t teach you enough, HR course hours are less then they claimed, etc. Here’s my reaction to those critiques. 1. Frankly I skipped half of those course videos. Because watching videos is slow and I prefer just googling some tutorials up fast so that I could get to the sprint. Those videos may be mediocre. But so what? You’re not supposed to get all you need from the HR materials. And to me, HR strikes a good balance between giving you directions and teaching you to be independent. You’re expected to find whatever materials that suit you to crack the sprint. 2. Same thing goes with the “they don’t teach you enough” claim. Guess what? HR taught me very little, except they taught me how to learn programming (my googling skill was improving at warp speed). And because of that, I learned what I needed on my own quickly. 3. As for course hours, I don’t see why that’s relevant because in HR I was spending 13 hours a day coding anyway, official course hour or not. Nobody tells you how much you should work in HR. It’s all about what you produce.

The bottomline is that your personality and values will determine your expectation for yourself and for HR, and that will determine your outcome. That's why if you decide to apply, make sure you're well prepared with at least the JS fundamentals and preferably went through, say, Free Code Camp, and built a toy app BEFORE you join HR. (Free Code Camp is a good pre-course for HR. I went through most of it before HR, thought I learned a lot, and then realized HR was on a whole different level.) You may cheat your way through the HR admission. But if you're not prepared enough, you'll struggle a lot because the curriculum moves fast. So do yourself a favor and come prepared. Otherwise you end up wasting your time in HR and wondering why you're not getting your money's worth! If that happens you have no one else to blame but yourself!

Not everyone is sufficiently prepared in my cohort or takes the HR learning approach well. By the halfway point there were several people dropped out from my cohort, voluntarily and involuntarily. Every time our class counselor announced a dropout, I would hear the Hunger Games theme music playing in my head (the one they played when a tribute went down). It’s not that far-off an analogy, except in the Hack Reactor Games, you don’t kill each other. You help each other instead.

This brings me to the next thing I want to tell you about— your classmates. My classmates are amazing people. And I suspect when I look back at this experience a few years from now, my classmates would be my biggest reward from HR. Although they are from all walks of life before joining HR, they share some commonalities— smart, determined, multi-talented, hard-working,  extremely kind and helpful. And hilarious, too. I don’t remember another three months in my life when I had laughed so much every day, despite being under constant pressure to perform. And that is what HR surprised me the most. With the classes being remote, I hadn’t expected to build much relationship with fellow students. But after three months, the kind of community and bonding that had emerged from my cohort was nothing short of amazing. If this site has an option to rate “communities and peers”, I would have given it 10 stars!

If you ask any MBA graduates from Ivy League schools, many of them will tell you that the most useful thing they got out of their MBA is not academic knowledge, but a network of successful peers. I don’t think the tech industry is all that different. Having worked with my classmates, I have no doubt that many of them will be rising stars in their future jobs and become successful engineers. I’m proud to be their classmate. If I had paid the HR tuition just to gain this peer network of talented engineers and nothing else, I would have considered my money well spent!

There were a couple reviews on this site that mentioned “you learned more from your classmates than from HR”. For those reviewers, that was a negative thing. But by now, I’m sure you can already guess my position on this. That’s right, I learned a lot from my classmates. And I can’t be happier about that.

And finally, the result. I can’t tell you much about job search, because as mentioned, I did HR to build my own projects. And also, my cohort just graduated yesterday (Dec 10th 2016), and job search has just begun for most of my classmates. What I can tell you is that one person in my thesis group got hired already, for a job that pays >$100k, two weeks before graduation (He’s a smart guy, but had little coding experience before HR, and is definitely not top of class. He has great personality and people skills, though. And that’s quite important in job search). I’m not saying his case is the norm. It’s NOT. I just want to tell you what is possible.

As for me, after my thesis project, I decided to start building my app in Python, which does numerical stuff much better than Javascript. HR only used Javascript and there wasn’t a single line of Python/Django in HR materials. So You can say HR didn’t teach me enough. But when I started my project, I quickly discovered that picking up a new language is now no harder than picking up groceries. And if you had told me that three months ago, I wouldn’t have believed you. So you can say HR taught me a lot. It all depends on how you look at it and what’s important to you. And you can already guess what my preference is.

Again, whether HR is for you depends on the type of person you are. The same experience can be perceived in different ways. How do you find out which type you are? That’s easy. You’ve read my review. I gave you my most honest opinion from my perspective. You’ve also read some of the negative reviews from former students. I trust they gave their honest opinion based on their perspective as well. All you have to do is to look within and see which perspective you can most naturally identify with. That’s your type right there. Good luck!

• Nick E. • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor because I was unhappy with my current career path and wanted to break into the software engineering industry. I feel confident in saying that HR has thoroughly prepared me for this transition in a way that no other experience could. It is easy to be put off by the seemingly outlandish success statistics and the high cost and the short time. I know these were all red flags for me at the outset. What I have found, though, is that HR is a well-polished program run by passionate educators with a deep understanding of the software industry. It's not a free ride to a great job, but if you put in the work, you end up with a solid set of skills and a newfound appreciation for the power of good education. I never thought that I would learn so much in so little time, and I definitely didn't think that I would feel so ready to learn new topics. Beyond the core curriculum, the greatest thing you gain from HR is the ability to learn new software topics on your own. It's not for everyone, but if you think it may be for you I strongly encourage you to give it a try.

• Mike S. • Graduate

As a former mechanical engineer, it's in my opinion that one of the most important skill sets every engineer needs is autonomy. Hack Reactor does a great job of building your autonomy. As you move along through the curriculum, they systematically remove more and more scaffolding until you're building full stack applications on your own and solving real engineering challenges.

The staff is great, and they all have invaluable industry experience. The lecturers have a commanding knowledge of the curriculum and they practically beg you to ask questions because they want everyone to understand the material. The mentors, coaches, and counselors are all very eager to help out. In only three months, they build a relationship with you where you feel like you're part of a family.

Some of the previous low-ratings on Course Report are a little confusing. The tone of some of these reviews reflect feelings of neglect and animosity. I'm not sure why this is because the Hack Reactor staff are very upfront with the program's intentions, and their business model is directly tied to the success of their students. Because of the transparency of their SSOM standards, there really isn't any way around this.

I had a great experience at Hack Reactor. I received the guidance that I wasn't getting from self-study, I learned to push myself further than I thought was possible, and I made some life-long friends along the way. That being said, you'll get what you put into it. There is an endless amount of information out there. They teach you to explore new concepts, and they challenge you to go beyond the core curriculum.

That was my experience at Hack Reactor, and I hope my review helps others get a clearer picture of what Hack Reactor life can be like.

• Honestly Kick Ass
    - 12/10/2016
    Jeff Christian II • Graduate

Like everyone else I was VERY skeptical of the bootcamp model. I ended doing my research and contacting about 20 grads directly on LinkedIn. All of them loved it. I decided what the heck, college sucks, and I want to learn faster. I ended up moving out to San Francisco and devoted every ounce of my time to development. Literally between 14 -16 hours per day were spent in the Hack Reactor building.

Anyway you want to know how much I learned and how the experience was. It was great! The curriculum was VERY strong. I can say that it provided me with the knowledge to build and deploy a Full Stack Web Application. However, the real value is not really the curriculum or the instructors. Both of which I endorse for their merits. The real value is in the people. I ended up learning more from other peers in my community than I did from the course material by at least 3x. Many people venture away from the taught frameworks and language. Many people learned Python, Go, and some of the languages for mobile development. I learned Swift and React Native. It all worked out very well.

In terms of getting a job. People will take you seriously if you present and sell yourself well. If you act and can code like an engineer in the field with four years experience, if you graduate you definitely have the programming down, then companies will treat you as such. There are a lot of mind games in getting a job, you just have to overcome them.

I endorse Hack Reactor and would advise anyone trying to get into programming or filling in gaps of knowledge to try it!

• Danny • UNEMPLOYED!!! • Student

Ill make this short and sweet. I completed 6.5 weeks at the MakerPrep course in LA.

This school is a complete scam. They have many 5 star ratings but that is only because they have reviewed themselves many many many times. They are all fake reviews to give the appearance of quality. The instructors are previous graduates who cant make it in the real world. They are lazy and are just there punching a clock. Everyone was led to believe that they would have support for when they needed it through resources online and 1 on 1.

I was there EARLY every day to have just minutes of time with the instructor, (i was early about 3-4 hours early EVERY DAY! ) They asked us to Slack them with any questions and they would get back to us. That never happened! My entire experiance was spent trying to get the instructors attention. There were way too many students all fighting over the instructors time. He never had a clear lesson plan, and was always late to class. It was almost as if they had no idea that we were paying good money for this. They changed the material all the time and everyone there was completely lost. Ive never heard so many complaints before.  I would try to set up appointments and use their spreedsheet to book office hours they they never showed up to.How convienat for sappovive "expert programmers" to not be able to figure out how to fix a simple shared excel spredsheet. Absolutley rediculous.

They admitted that the class didnt go as they had hoped and that I would be able to attend the class over again so that I could get my moneys worth. THAT NEVER HAPPENED! IM SO PISSED! Do they even know what it take to scrape together the money it takes to take this course when you are UNEMPLOYED!!!

• Shawn Baker

Hello, Shawn here.

I will phrase my review in two parts:

I work in financial securities, and I rigourously research all of these bootcamp schools in the same manner that my employer pays me to research stocks.

My analysis is that Hack Reactor is an over priced work of fiction that has a great SEO campaign and Google Adwords account that places them at the top whenever you type in "top coding bootcamps" into Google.

They charge you almost 20k for materials that are available 100% free online.

They have so called "Instructors" that are really just former students who were not smart enough to get a job...and the Founders are people with absolutely no verifiable professional working experience - NONE.

If this was a stock I would short it.

Has anyone else noticed the large amount of 5 star reviews?
    Is it just my imagination or is the Hack Reactor marketing team trying to flood this blog with fake reviews?

There are 65 total reviews so far, and every negative review has immediately been swamped by "5 star reviews"...but they dont give their names.

No details are provided in these 5 star reviews...no instructor names, no course reviews, not even any reports on trying to find a job.

Thanks for proving everything I mentioned in this article, Hack Reactor marketing team :)

Response From: Harsh Patel of Hack Reactor
    Title: COO
    Friday, Dec 09 2016
    Hi Shawn - we appreciate your honest feedback. It's one of four recent negative reviews on our Remote program, which is the worst streak in the history of our company.  Our team has learned from it and documented our action items in this post: http://www.hackreactor.com/blog/hack-reactors-response-to-recent-november-2016-course-report-reviews.  We aim to deliver an amazing program to every student, and we're sorry we didn't get there in this case.

We would also like to correct some misconceptions that readers might wind up with.
    1. It’s mentioned above that our Instructors are just former students who are not smart enough to get a job. Hack Reactor’s curriculum and program structure has been built by engineers with long careers in Software Development. We’re talking people who, at any given point in their career, worked as Software Engineers at Google, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Adobe, and the likes. There are many contributors to a student’s education: Curriculum developers, program developers, lecturers, instructors, technical mentors, counselors, and HiRs. Each person requires a specific skillet. For lecturers, and instructors, they have to be individuals who know the curriculum forwards and backwards, and who excel at working with students. Sometimes, those are the cream of the crop of graduates from the program. In fact, many students would tell you that they are some of the best teachers of software engineering on the planet. Statistically, out of roughly 2,000 graduates, <10 work as full time instructors across all the Hack Reactor campuses. That’s a < 0.05% hire rate. You can imagine how good they must have been to stand out amongst 2,000 peers.
    2. We want to stress that Hack Reactor never has and never will solicit or write fake reviews. I recommend that people  scroll through our 5 star reviews, there are many names associated and specific details on the course. You can also see our Google reviews which are all associated with individual google accounts. It’s also easy to see the career progression of thousands of our graduates with a LinkedIn search.

Thank you again for leaving your thoughts. Read more about what we are doing as a result of everyone’s feedback in our blog post where we address many concerns and provide our action items.
  • Keith W. • Graduate

Before I joined Hack Reactor’s (formally MakerSquare) Software Engineering immersive program, I have been a front-end web developer with 8 years of working experience.  While I have learned valuable skills in that time-frame, my skill level to be an effective, multi-tooled full-stack Engineer was preventing me from moving forward as a Senior or Tech Lead.  While I have personally worked on online web developer tutorials, I was still missing two important factors: Being aware of what tech stacks the industry is doing and learning not just the tech, but the approach on how to effectively learn and understand them.

This is where Hack Reactor helps you the most in becoming a super-competent Software Engineer.

They teach you the core fundamentals - data structures, How JavaScript functions work “under the hood” (this is important! If you understand the logic of its library, you will have a better ability to write code), recursion, algorithmic thinking.  Then you move on to using the latest libraries and frameworks - React, Angular, Backbone.js for the front-end, and server side using Node.js, RESTful APIs, MySQL, MongoDB.  If you understand these concepts, libraries, and frameworks, it will give you the ability to transition to other technologies. This characteristic is vital in becoming a well-versed Software Engineer!

And don’t forget the friendship and connections with your fellow cohorts!

The full-time staff - this includes the instructors, code support team (recent graduates of the program), Technical Mentors, and even opportunities to talk with previous alum is one of its reasons why Hack Reactor is the best at what they do.  They are all extremely knowledgable and helpful, and have no second thoughts to stop and help you figure out issues you have in your code.

I applied (and accepted) to join two other coding schools.  But with their mission statement and A++ staff and and awesome tech start up-like environment, I am more than happy I chose Hack Reactor.

If you are looking to change your career, or you need to sharpen your current skills as a Software Engineer, take the time to speak with someone at Hack Reactor and join the team!
  • Harry K • student • Applicant

So whenever I write a review, I try to keep things factual and transparent...mainly because I'm just a regular non-IT guy trying to get into fulltime web development.  I've mastered HTML and CSS but its time to get serious about Immersive.

I first contacted Hack Reactor through the number on their website.  This turned out to be a gigantic waste of time...as calls kept getting routed to someone called "MakerSquare"...and the Chinese guy who answered had no clue about any kind of Bootcamp.
    So then I contacted them through their facebook website, facebook has this live messenger type thing, kind of like live customer support.
    The lady who was typing in the chatbox let me know that most of the instructors are HIR...Hackers In Residence...which is just a fancy way of saying "Former Graduates".

I was like, seriously?  You want me to pay 20k tuition to be trained by someone who used to work at Walmart or used to make sandwiches at Panera Bread?

Complete and total scam...all their placement numbers on their website are un-verified and probably unrealistic.

You can get the same education for 50% less anywhere else.

Stay away from these guys.

-Harry

Response From: Harsh Patel of Hack Reactor
    Title: COO
    Friday, Dec 09 2016
    Hi Harry - thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our team has learned what we can from it and documented our action items in this post: http://www.hackreactor.com/blog/hack-reactors-response-to-recent-november-2016-course-report-reviews. We work hard to deliver an amazing program to every student, and we're sorry we didn't get there for you.

We would also like to correct a couple misconceptions that readers might wind up with.
    1. It’s mentioned that HiRs are just a fancy way of saying “former graduates”. You are right that they are fancy and former grads, but HiRs are also the top students from the cohort, the cream of the crop if you will, and are subsequently chosen to stay at HR to contribute to the experience here. HiRs are students who have gone through the curriculum successfully, and are generally ones who love helping their peers. Typically, these are students who otherwise would have had no problem in the job search. They are actively seeking to stay a part of the positive and encouraging community because they love it.
    2. Regarding our placement numbers being un-verified and unrealistic, this is absolutely not true. The only way we can uphold the highest form of integrity, is through a third-party validation of data. In fact, in June 2016, Hack Reactor launched the Standard Student Outcomes Methodology (SSOM) as a transparent, systematic way of quantifying and reporting student outcomes. This is the first of its kind and allows bootcamps to classify each student according to clear definitions and strict documentation standards, and provides formulas for calculating placement rate, graduation rate and average graduate salary. Hack Reactor’s 2015 Audited Report was conducted in accordance to the attestation standards established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. We invite any school to adopt this method to give honest information to prospective students.

Thank you again for leaving your feedback. Read more in our blog post where we address your concerns and provide our action items.

• Kevin • Graduate

Hack Reactor is a life-changing program that I would recommend to anyone that is motivated willing to work hard to achieve their goals of becoming a software engineer. Throughout the first half there were times that I struggled, however as we entered the project phases in the second half, I felt prepared to learn and tackle problems without the guidance of a structured curriculum. Our cohort had a new curriculum that was changed for week 12, with more of a focus on the types of things that previous graduates had struggled with in the job searching phase. This was still a bit rough around the edges since it was new, however it was very valuable to find out the spots that needed to be improved on as I begin my own job search. Finally the best takeaway from Hack Reactor is the amazing people I met and worked with, this is what made the program special, being surrounded by motivated and like-minded people all helping each other work towards our future goals.

• Best decision ever
    - 10/31/2016
    Julie • Software Engineer • Graduate

I had always wanted to make the move into web development since I discovered the internet and I had taken online classes at a local community college but was never able to actually make the move until I took this class.

I found out about HR while reading my feeds at work after just having received my severance date.  I used what was going to be my severance check to pay for the program and was the only female in a cohort of 15.

It is a lot of hard work and I think you get what you put into it.  There were issues as we were the second remote cohort, but the HR team bent over backwards to help and support us.

With respect to finding a job afterwards, I believe it was harder being remote, but through the support and persistence of certain people at HR, I was able to find a job in my home town about 8-9 weeks after graduating.  Yes I had to do the job hunt.  Yes I had to send out the resumes.  Yes I had to do the work.  But HR was checking in almost daily with me with words of encouragement and mock interviews.

After all was said and done, I now work as a Software Engineer and my husband loves to tell people "Yea I thought this was another of her 'get rich quick schemes', but it worked!".  I love my job!

• Simeon • Graduate

You'll never find a better way to invest in your career. This place attracts amazing, friendly people and the staff work painstakingly hard to foster an incredible environment for learners to thrive. It's fast paced and requires long hours and discipline but what is really important is that the entire program is structured to turn you into a learning machine, which is what a software developer will need to have a long and successful career. If you're thinking about making a career change at all, this is the place to do it!

• Chris • Student • Student

Hack Reactor is a rigorous and challenging bootcamp. I learned things in an amount of time I could never dream of before joining. I met some of the most amazing and intelligent people from diverse backgrounds. Would recommend to anyone looking for a challenge.

• Hack Reactor Review
    - 10/28/2016
    Robert Chao • Graduate

Good culture to provide you with the tools necessary to learn javascript and CS fundamentals. The course is no cake walk, however. Expect to spend 80+ hours a week studying/coding. Staff instruction/lectures is kept to a minumum to foster independent learning amongst students.

• Josephine Eng • Graduate

Hack Reactor is a school that cares about their student's success and well-being.  I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to start a career in software engineering and thrives in a fast pace environment.  Everyone here genuinely cares about what they are doing.  Working among talented, smart, and passionate people in such an immersive program cultivates an environment for success.  I found myself more motivated than ever.  Hack Reactor also puts a lot of care, thought, and dedication into creating the best possible program that will help their students reach their full potential, and welcomes constant feedback from each person, to constantly improve and adapt to student needs.  The program is incredibly rigorous and designed to foster the kind of growth and autonomy needed to succeed in software engineering.  I entered the program expecting it to be very difficult, but what I didn't expect was how much fun I would have.  Ultimately, I came away with the skills necessary to land a job, an amazing experience, and entire cohort of friends who I genuinely cherish.

• Wendy Cheung

These last three months has been the most rewarding and fun experience I had. I learned so much and I got to meet a group of awesome smart dedicated software engineers. Love my cohort, Hack Reactor knows how to pick the right students.

• surender singh • Graduate

One of the life changing moment. Hack Reactor is a real software engineering school which push you hard to find your potential and apply it. I have learned so much while studing here. I would highly recommend people who believe themselve that they could be software engineers or they should have go to software school.

• Highly rewarding
    - 10/27/2016
    Sean • Graduate

Let me start off by saying that Hack Reactor is not for everyone. It costs a lot of money, takes up a lot of time and energy, and you are pretty much foregoing 3 months of your life to be without family, friends and a lot of sleep. It will be a mentally, physically, and perhaps even emotionally draining experience. However, if you are okay with all of that and feel the need to make a career switch into programming, there is no better alternative than going to Hack Reactor.

Personally, Hack Reactor has been a life-changing experience. I feel that if you choose to go, the people you meet at Hack Reactor will probably be the smartest, nicest and most outstanding people you will ever have the chance to meet. And not only will you be able to meet them, but you will also have the opportunity to work together and form very close, lasting friendships.

On top of having a great community, Hack Reactor also has an excellent curriculum and fantastic staff. Every morning you are given a toy problem to solve, and over the course of the program you will get really good at solving problems and devising algorithms. After the first 6 weeks, you will become a master at JavaScript, and over the next 6 weeks, you will have developed 4 applications of your choosing. This is guaranteed, thanks to the support provided by the staff, who always make themselves available if you seek assistance.

My time at Hack Reactor has been the most incredible 12 weeks of my life. If you are willing to invest the time and money, I can't think of anywhere better than this magical environment.

• Apply and go.
    - 10/26/2016
    Mike Bordelon • Student

The staff: They pour their hearts into the students, curriculum and in general into HR, always looking for ways to improve. My tech mentor (shout out to Beth!) knew the curriculum inside and out and could get you going on the right path in just a few minutes if you were ever stuck. Lectures from Fred and Allen were all like mini master classes.

The students:  Tons of smart people, many were engineers from fields other than computer engineering. My cohort in particular really bonded...like REALLY bonded, and it made being at HR 13-15 hours a day fun. There were Nerf wars, bar nights and after class toy problem sessions to help us all get through it alive.

Culture:  Well think about it, you’re surrounded by the same people for 3 months, coding all day, changing your lives…it’s not a typical environment. There’s a great vibe at HR, but it’s hard for me to describe.

Job Support: I would like to update this part after I’m employed. I’m currently in the first week of the job search, and the support so far has been great. FYI, it’s been proposed to us that it’s not an easy task to find that first job and that rejection is the norm. But, after graduating HR you will have value that can be monetized, it just takes getting your foot in the door and proving yourself.

Apply to HR, if you don’t get in immediately apply again.

• Nick Olszowy • Graduate

This place is intense. When your moment comes, will you go capture it or let it pass? I've never been pushed so hard (productively, with a lot of support) in my life. And I'm proud to say that my cohort has succeeded and it's exciting to see what we'll do now.

I guess some others below didn't like the focus on becoming an autonomous learner, but I found this aspect of the course to be very rewarding. Since being a Software Engineer is a career in lifelong learning, it makes sense that a critical skill to gain would be independent learning. It's true that there aren't as many lectures as a traditional learning environment, but the lectures we did have were top-notch, and really focused on making sure everyone in the room was engaged and on-board. To me, it didn't matter at all that there were relatively few lectures, the rest of the material was amazing too and kept us quite busy.

There are many other accurate reviews of the curriculum so I'll just mention that they just overhauled their last week of curriculum, focusing it to align more with the types technical challenges we are likely to face, and gave us a LOT more material to study up on going into the job search. I feel very well prepared for it and confident in my abilities, with a clear roadmap to keep preparing.

A few things I really enjoyed learning here:

• Asynchronous programming in Node.js and Promises
    • React Native
    • ES6 syntax
    • Pair programming
    • Docker, microservices and service-oriented architecture principles
    • Designing a RESTful API
  • Cary Meskell • Graduate

Hack Reactor consistently met or exceeded my expectations over the course of the program. They start with an emphasis on the fundamentals of javascript and move on to provide a thorough walkthrough of the full stack over the first 6 weeks. From there, students enter a project period where they have the freedom to adopt new technologies for their apps or to further expand on technologies covered earlier in the course.

As a whole, I felt that Hack Reactor delivered a complete package. I found the curriculum to be very well constructed and taught by passionate instructors that take students' concerns very seriously. If students feel that they need extra help on a subject, they can submit a help request or schedule time with their tech mentor. Hack Reactor even takes care to assign a counselor to each class that helps to provide emotional support and general guidance. Students are frequently asked to give honest feedback about anything on their minds, which helps to form a stronger curriculum moving forward. In addition to the normal curriculum, tech talks are often held after-hours where industry professionals or alumni present on new technologies and developments.

I was initially skeptical of 'bootcamps', as most people are, but after speaking with an old friend who had found success after taking the course, I decided to take the plunge. Looking back on it now, I'm glad I did. I am now a capable sotware engineer with the right tools and the know-how to use them effectively in the industry today!

• Vincent Barilla • Graduate

Hack Reactor is extremely attentive to our feedback as students, using what we say to improve, refine, and polish its curriculum. This iterative approach to education makes so much sense for we engineers who will, for our careers, employ an iterative approach to problem solving. As good as the course is now, it'll only get better through the efforts and commitment of its admin and staff.

Also, the people you meet there are amazing, coming from all walks of life, all sharing common traits of extreme motivation and being very bright -- and often hilarious, I laughed a ton while working nonstop.

Give it a shot!

Also, as a last word of advice: I definitely think my experience was optimized by coming into the program with a solid background in non-JavaScript languages, and then also having taken a month or so to develop some projects using vanilla JavaScript and Node (and HTML and CSS). Even though you will learn everything you need to know to succed by completing the mandatory Precourse curriculum before your start date, having a headstart on JavaScript fundamentals, with a focus on common data structures, will be extremely valuable.

• Greatest Place Ever
    - 10/22/2016
    Dan Snyder • Graduate

When I first heard about this program, I didn't know what to expect, and I was a little skeptical. I read some reviews and decided to try Fulcrum out. I started to really enjoy what I was learning and could tell that the staff really cared about my understanding. I decided to take the plunge and found whatever means I could to gather the tuition funds. Making that plunge was one of the best decisions of my life. This program was well worth it and, maybe even worth a little more. The curriculum is top notch, and it really helps to get you up to speed with the rest of the industry. The staff and the students make it one of the most welcoming learning environments I have ever been apart of. If you have the chance to go to this program then GO! You will be doing yourself a disservice if you get in and don't go!