hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (278) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (55) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationDenver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, New York City, Los Angeles, Austin, San Francisco, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    DepositAfter you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies like SkillsFund and Climb Credit that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Tuition PlansFinancing options are available.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    Scholarship$1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Prep WorkHack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Tuition PlansApplicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo

• Ryan Morrow • Software Engineer • Graduate

Before I attended Hack Reactor, I had spent four years as a baker. I made a living, but it wasn't really where I'd meant to end up, and I wasn't sure where to go as someone with only years-old, rudimentary experience in any other field. It was hard to imagine what job would take me, or what school would give me a chance, but Hack Reactor was a great fit for me. I attended the remote program, which made the intense hours a lot easier to handle.
    If you consider attending Hack Reactor, know that it's, as they say, "like drinking from a fire hose". It's a lot to take in, and at times I (and everyone else) became convinced that I wasn't learning anything, or that I wasn't cut out for the work. For 12 weeks, my whole life revolved around web development and the software industry. In half that time, I got taken from learning basic data structures to sitting down and coding a full stack application from scratch in a matter of hours, using a modern and popular JavaScript framework. That was the moment where I couldn't believe how far I'd come. The whole second half of the course was refining the skills I'd learned through self-driven projects, which was a great preparation for the unpredictable and hectic nature of the industry. The course teaches you technical concepts that you could learn elsewhere, but more importantly, it teaches you a mentality you'll need to make your way as an engineer. The ability to embrace pressure, failure, discomfort, and disagreements with your coworkers, and persevere dealing with problems you feel totally clueless about. It also gives you access to a team of kind, smart, and talented people who more than anything want you to succeed. Every peer I worked with was talented as well, and the focus on pair programming and group projects meant that I wasn't allowed to hide in my corner and try to do things in a safe, controlled way. Articulating my ideas and seeing other peoples' approaches, though difficult, were crucial aspects to my growth.
    The biggest shoutout I can give is to their outcomes strategy. Occasional guidance meetings and lectures on the job market led up into a full week on online presence, negotiation tactics, mock interviews--everything I needed to feel ready for an on site interview. I'm not good at marketing myself or coding under pressure, but after graduation, the constant contact with their alumni network and outcomes team kept me pushing myself and adapting my job search until I found a great fit for me. In under half a year, I completely changed my career and work mentality, and I've never been happier to make a living. Job search guidance is the biggest reason I wanted to try a boot camp, and Hack Reactor didn't let me down.

• 5 Stars
    - 2/8/2018
    Patrick Tang  User Photo
    Patrick Tang • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'll admit that I turned to Hack Reactor as a last resort when my job search in my degreed profession was not yielding results. After talking to a friend who had gone through the remote program, I decided to pursue software engineering and began teaching myself Javascript and found I really enjoyed it!

It wasn't long before I was enrolled in Hack Reactor's Structured Study Program (SSP), which is a GREAT primer for the immersive experience, especially if you're considering the remote campus. SSP leveled up my Javascript game and I was ready to start the immersive program. The first thing everyone says is that the immersive program is hard, and they were right, I found myself often over my head. But Hack Reactor's great support network - Tech mentors, Hackers in Residence, Counselor, and each other! - helped me wrap my head around difficult concepts and provided emotional support when needed.

After graduation, I felt prepared for the job search, in terms of technical skills as well as helpful job search advice from HR's great outcomes team. I was getting a lot more traction in my new job search and now find myself at a great company doing what I enjoy - which is probably more than I can say had I stayed in my previous field!

• Hack Reactor
    - 1/22/2018
    Ashley Woodall  User Photo
    Ashley Woodall • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I put off the Hack Reactor interview for a long time - about a year or so. I kept thinking the success stories were too good to be true, was nervous about the price tag, and already had a professional career that I was settled into (although I was powering through free online coding resources in my spare time and knew I was heading toward a career in development). Finally I bit the bullet and decided to go for it, and I am SO glad I did. It really is a life changing experience. It's not so much that Hack Reactor teaches you how to code in 3 months (the bar for passing the entrance interview is surprisingly high - they already expect relative comfort with javascript concepts when you arrive), but they teach you how to survive and be valuable in industry. The most valuable things I walked away from Hack Reactor were 1) ability to work on an engineering team, 2) data structures/algorithms foundational concepts, and 3) ability to quickly parse through documentation and use unfamiliar technology in a project on the fly. Beyond all of the incredible things I learned (and learned about myself) during Hack Reactor, I want to point out that the staff is amazing. The immersive nature of Hack Reactor is extremely intense, but all of the staff facilitate a really positive learning environment and really care about each student. Career services after graduation is also exactly as effective as advertised, and I ended up accepting a job offer found through a Hack Reactor partnership just a few weeks after I finished the program. I'm so glad I went for it, and 100% would do it again.

• Eric Fanning  User Photo
    Eric Fanning • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was a self taught very basic programmer if you could call me that. Learning programming part-time on my own was proving to be difficult if I wanted to learn enough to switch careers. Traditional school would take too long so I looked at bootcamps. I researched several coding bootcamps/immersive programs before committing to Hack Reactor. What made me decide on Hack Reactor was a few things. 1) From all the reviews and testimonies I could find, Hack Reactor shined through that they cared about everyone going through the program and that the quality and amount of material was great. After completing the bootcamp myself in Austin, TX, I can now verify this opinion. 2) The hours are 11 hours a day 6 days a week (Sat. is a little shorter). I knew this would help me focus on code and immerse myself in it. I didn't want to have a personal life outside coding, and this helped me do that. I feel that I got a lot more out of the program because it was structured like this. 4) The partnerships Hack Reactor has with other companies that help Hack Reactor achieve their 80% or so hire/placement rate (depends on the city, see their site for current %). 5) I went to a intro course on JavaScript before committing and was talking to a staff member (a higher up staff member who I'm sure normally has a tight schedule). They offered to meet with me beforehand a few times before my application assessment in order to make sure I can get into the program. (I know they want applicants because it generates revenue, but this person went out of their way from their normal duties in the company, for free, to help because of the risk I was taking to switch careers). 6) The fact that you have to qualify to get in was a big plus for me. This meant to me that they took their curriculum and reputation serious. Unlike taking someone with zero knowledge in coding, they take people with 20% knowledge and they finish with 120% knowledge to be a software engineer. This is what helps with the job placement as well. Also, you'll end up going through it with other people who are more serious about programming as well.
    Overall, the staff was super awesome and extremely friendly and helpful the entire time in every way. It's hard to think of even something small I would change about the program. I loved the people I went through it with and I am very grateful for my time there. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I left a stable career to pursue software engineering and thanks to Hack Reactor (and my own hard work), I am starting my new career next week.

• Lina Yang  User Photo
    Lina Yang • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hack Reactor definitely helped me to make the biggest and most successful transition in my life.

Hack Reactor distinguished itself from most of the other boot camps from the very beginning. Prospective students had to go through a code challenge and interviews to exam their basic JavaScript skills which ensures that we have the capability to keep up with the curriculum. A great thing about that is the staff is willing to provide as much help as they can to get candidates ready for the immersive course.

I also want to recommend the SSP program for anyone that's interested in attending Hack Reactor. The tuition for SSP program is deducted from the tuition of the Immersive program,  and it had great mentors and help-desk resources that help students build up very solid JavaScript foundation before the program starts.

The program itself is quite intense, but the outcomes are truly amazing. The curriculums were designed to expose students to most of the popular frameworks and skill sets that prepare us well to meet the demand of the current tech’s job market. Moreover, the curriculum not only provides practical hands-on experiences which definitely help students succeed on the job, but also some great amounts of algorithms, data structures and JavaScript concepts practices that very much guarantee students’ success during a technical interview.

Another great thing about Hack Reactor is that it not only trains students to possess decent skill sets to get a tech job, but it also train students on how to think, approach and solve problems effectively like a successful software engineer(which is really a soft skill that’s applicable to any other field as well). A framework or even a popular language like JavaScript can possibly be out-of-date anytime in the future, but the ability to know how to pick up a language quickly and approach a problem in a most efficient manner is what Hack Reactor trains their students to do.

And the staff. Absolutely amazing people with very strong technical skills and experiences that provide great mentorships. One best thing about them is that they recognize every student with our uniqueness and provide helps that tailored to individual’s needs during the program, and they all truly care about every one of us and our success after the program.

The career support is also amazing. More than half of my interview opportunities were derived from Hack Reactor’s amazing network. The current offer I’ve landed was also through an alumni’s referral. Hack Reactor’s career assistance team diligently works with all students until we land an offer. And the alumni network itself is huge and is a wonderful resource for job searching phase.

Overall, I would recommend Hack Reactor to anyone who wants to explore tech field and work with software!

• Jonathan Yi  User Photo
    Jonathan Yi • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Attending Hack Reactor was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life. Initially, I was pretty skeptical about coding boot camps because they were fairly new and the results they claim were pretty unbelievable. However, after completing Hack Reactor's curriculum, I can confidently say that the education you receive in 3 months is aligned with the current job market and the staff works tirelessly to ensure you leave with the necessary tools to thrive in the tech industry. The curriculum goes by extremely fast, but if you make an effort to fully understand all of the material/content they provide, I can guarantee that you will have the high-level knowledge of a senior software engineer. I have to agree that software engineer is an extremely broad subject and it takes many years to become an expert, but companies aren’t hiring based on how many different languages you know. Companies are looking for autonomous problems solvers and quick learners. As long as you make sure to do a lot of research in the field you want to get into whether its front-end engineering or back-end engineering you will have the same chance of getting the job as any other applicant. As long as you have a passion for software engineering and are making an effort to stay up to date with new technologies there will always be a market for software engineers. Aside from the amazing curriculum that Hack Reactor has to offer, they also provide you with a vast network of other software engineers that share the same passion as you. The connections you meet at Hack Reactor can help facilitate the job search and you will form strong bonds with people who were once strangers 3 months ago. Lastly, Hack Reactor provides you with a career coach that will offer almost 24/7 support throughout your job search. Having a career coach is the icing on the cake to the complete experience Hack Reactor has to offer. The career coach teaches you how to present yourself as a professional, teaches you how to negotiate to get an offer you are happy with, and gives you the confidence/tips to tackle interviews. I believe the support of the career coach is at least 50% of what determines if you get a job or not. Overall, Hack Reactor is probably one of the best coding boot camps out there because they provide you with the whole experience (curriculum/network/career support) and are teaching a language that will stay relevant as long as the web exists. But my advice before pursuing a career in software engineer is to really question if you are passionate about the subject, make sure that you are willing to become an autonomous problem solver, you are self-motivated, and must accept the fact that you will always be learning/studying while in the field of a software engineer. If you have these traits then you will have no problem being successful in the world of software engineering. Whoever is reading my review, I wish you the best of luck with your journey and I hope this review helps you make the right decision!

• Max Berger  User Photo
    Max Berger • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I went to Hack Reactor because I was ready for a radical change in my life. Hack Reactor helped me to leave my previous field and become a competent software engineer in about 3 months.

From the very beginning, it's clear that Hack Reactor is a great school. When I applied, I was initially rejected because my coding skills weren't up to par; I wasn't yet ready for as intense of a program as Hack Reactor. The amazing thing is that they told me what I needed to learn and helped me to get to where I needed to be. You can tell the staff truly care about your success before you even begin.

During the program, I began learning programming fundamentals while applying them right away. I worked hands-on with other students, learning not only to become an effective coder but an effective communicator and team player as well.

I was absolutely amazed by the Outcomes and Careers teams. I knew that Hack Reactor was going to prepare me for the job search, but I didn't realize just how much. They help with resumes, interviews, negotiations, and beyond. I've always been someone who gets extremely nervous when interviewing, but after graduating I was able to go into the most intense interviews of my life feeling confident, and eventually landed the job of my dreams!

Yes, Hack Reactor is difficult. You will learn materials in two days what might have taken weeks or months to learn on your own. But you will leave with the most satisfying knowledge that you overcame it and that you're ready for any challenge that comes your way in the future. If you want to change your life and become a software engineer in just 3 months, you owe it to yourself to attend.

• Mariano Okpalefe  User Photo
    Mariano Okpalefe • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

You get 100% of what you put into this program. It's an extremely challenging program but if you're an individual who is willing to put 100% effort into learning and really trying to build the fundamentals of a software engineer like the curriculum is set up to do than you'll be in good shape. The curriculum is set up in such a way that the instructors will give you enough material then it's up to you and your partner to engineer your way out of a sprint. Hack Reactor's culture and mission is to develop self-driven autonomous engineers, so the teaching fellow's here will do a good job of giving you enough and steering you in a direction without giving you the answer. If you're used to a traditional educational setting, where the teacher spoon feeds you everything and tells you exactly what you need to do to get an A in a class, it will take some adjusting, but once you do adjust and truly value what hack reactor is trying to teach you'll be appreciative that you did, because it's one of the skills that's going to set you apart from engineers with computer science degrees on the job search. Along with the curriculum, the culture at Hack Reactor is very inviting and warm and just epitomizes productivity in a nutshell. It's very fun to be here and if I had a chance to do it over again, I absolutely would.

• Rodolfo Rodriguez  User Photo
    Rodolfo Rodriguez • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

When I was in college, I knew I wanted to do software engineering, and I had a feeling that the best route for me involved dropping out and enrolling in an elite coding bootcamp. It was a tough decision, since I was doing Computer Science, had some good connections in Houston, and would be leaving my scholarship and financial aid on the table. Having scored an awesome job with good perks (flexible hours, can work from home), and a salary that is more than both my parent's combined, I can say I have made a good decision.

The curriculum at Hack Reactor is pretty good, given that technology moves pretty fast. I wouldn't say it's bleeding edge; it depicts what the job market is like, which is what's important. I was always impressed at the balance of algorithms and data structures, lecture vs practice time, pair programming, and creating your portfolio. The hardest thing in learning on your own is knowing what you don't know, and knowing how much to focus on what.

If you want to learn to code, Hack Reactor is a solid choice. You will learn the fundamentals of full stack development; but more importantly, you will develop confidence in what you know, and what you don't know; which will ultimately be what gets you that job you want.

• Jesse DeOms  User Photo
    Jesse DeOms • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

If you are looking to join a community of people that are working really hard to break into web development, look no further than Hack Reactor. By learning some of the popular JS frameworks while also learning solid principles of programming in general and full-stack development more specifically, the HR curriculum will accelerate your learning of the technical concepts as well as help you develop the mindsets and workflows necessary to enjoy modern web development as a career.

I completed the program remotely. As a former educator with an undergrad engineering degree and masters in secondary education, I was consistently impressed by the instructional choices made throughout the curriculum and by the efforts that went into building community in our cohort. Most of all, I won a great network of awesome people who are all working to break into web development (and having a lot of success in doing so). Their support has made all the difference in affirming this career decision and pursuing my interests in development.

• Amazing Experience
    - 7/13/2017
    Doris Chiu  User Photo
    Doris Chiu • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had chosen Hack Reactor (Makersquare at the time I was introduced to it) after hearing about it through at least two of my friends in the Software Industry. I had originally considered getting a degree from a university and was working towards that at a community college. But when I heard about this program and it's amazing reputation in the industry, I decided to go this route. By the time I enrolled at HR, I had taken an Introduction to Programming course (coded in Python) at a community college to see if I like programming before committing. The knowledge I gained from the course helped me through the prep and the first week or two of the programming, after that it was an unfamiliar, challenging but exciting territory.

Hack Reactor is great for learning programming and about yourself as an individual. This intensive 12-week program is great for those that are able to pick up things after doing the hands-on learning for 2 days and then pivot to another concept afterward. Although this type of learning style may take some adjusting on your part, after this section (first six weeks) is over, you will have a pretty good idea about how you learn as a student and how much research/practice you as an individual needs in order to understand a concept or new technology. Moving into the second half of the program, you'll be put into teams of 3-5 to work on building apps. Here, you're able to work on teamwork skills such as communication, organization, accountability, and problem solving as a group. You'll learn how to balance each team member's style of work and personality as you're going through this process.

Overall, my experience at Hack Reactor was amazing and I would definitely recommend it for prospective students!

• Worth it
    - 6/30/2017
    Guillermo Blanco  User Photo
    Guillermo Blanco • Student Verified via GitHub

If you want to start a career in web development, Hack Reactor is a great and easy way to do it. That doesn't mean the curriculum is easy, all I am saying is that once you get in, all you have to do is breathe, eat and dream code, and you will get your dream job, an awesome peer networklifetime job assistance and a great increase in your salary (about 300% in my case, although of course it depends on your initial salary, duh).

When I started Hack Reactor, I had some academic programming experience with C++, but had spent the previous 2 years and change working at Burger King, Papa John's, etc. On top of that my English wasn't good since my native tongue is Spanish.

In Hack Reactor I learned about algorithms, JavaScript, lots of JavaScript frameworks (their materials are awesome, you learn technologies in two days or so with them), Databases (SQL and NoSQL), unit testing, integration testing, TDD, systems design, etc, and not only do you get all the required technical background, but you also get other skills like how to build your resume, write cover letters, conduct in an interview, negotiate salary, work in teams, communicate effectively, etc.

The decision is clear: if you go to college, you will spend much more money and for things like History, English, Calculus, Simulation, Combinatorics, and others that, although interesting, you don't really need as a web developer; if you want to teach yourself, aside from the fact that you wouldn't really know what to learn, since you have limited access to the industry trends, you will spend much more time, time during which you could be making a lot of money in a real job. If you go to a bootcamp, you need to choose Hack Reactor, since it is the best.

• Yuriy Lemberg  User Photo
    Yuriy Lemberg • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My experience at Hack Reactor was fun, informative, hectic, engaging, depressing, rewarding, and a range of even more emotions. The 3 months 11 hour a day, 6 day a week immersive was everything I could've asked for and more. I wanted a program that would challenge me and it did that every step of the way. On top of that probably the best part of the experience was having a friendly and engaging community that was struggling at the same steps that I was.

Probably the most rewarding part of the experience was bouncing ideas off other students. I not only learned through my own progression but learn through other students progression as well. During the program, there wasn't an hour where I didn't learn something new by communicating with other engineers. And I think that's the great power of Hack Reactor. There are a wealth of technically strong and extremely helping engineers always around you. You still have to put in the work but it helps the motivation to be able to talk with other people around you with the same pain points as you and figuring out the solution together.

The program isn't for everybody, it's rigorous, technically challenging, and you have to work well with people. But I am forever grateful for my entire time at the program and wouldn't change my process of the program in a single way.