hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (249) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (55) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    December 9, 2019
    San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, New York City, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    After you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Financing options are available.
    Refund / Guarantee
    $1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Students need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Hack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
    Interview
    December 9, 2019 - New York CityApply by November 2, 2019
    December 9, 2019 - Los AngelesApply by November 2, 2019
    December 9, 2019 - AustinApply by November 2, 2019
    December 9, 2019 - San FranciscoApply by November 2, 2019
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 29, 2019
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Applicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Interview
    October 29, 2019 - Online
    December 9, 2019 - OnlineApply by November 2, 2019

• Ryan Morrow • Software Engineer • Graduate

Before I attended Hack Reactor, I had spent four years as a baker. I made a living, but it wasn't really where I'd meant to end up, and I wasn't sure where to go as someone with only years-old, rudimentary experience in any other field. It was hard to imagine what job would take me, or what school would give me a chance, but Hack Reactor was a great fit for me. I attended the remote program, which made the intense hours a lot easier to handle.
    If you consider attending Hack Reactor, know that it's, as they say, "like drinking from a fire hose". It's a lot to take in, and at times I (and everyone else) became convinced that I wasn't learning anything, or that I wasn't cut out for the work. For 12 weeks, my whole life revolved around web development and the software industry. In half that time, I got taken from learning basic data structures to sitting down and coding a full stack application from scratch in a matter of hours, using a modern and popular JavaScript framework. That was the moment where I couldn't believe how far I'd come. The whole second half of the course was refining the skills I'd learned through self-driven projects, which was a great preparation for the unpredictable and hectic nature of the industry. The course teaches you technical concepts that you could learn elsewhere, but more importantly, it teaches you a mentality you'll need to make your way as an engineer. The ability to embrace pressure, failure, discomfort, and disagreements with your coworkers, and persevere dealing with problems you feel totally clueless about. It also gives you access to a team of kind, smart, and talented people who more than anything want you to succeed. Every peer I worked with was talented as well, and the focus on pair programming and group projects meant that I wasn't allowed to hide in my corner and try to do things in a safe, controlled way. Articulating my ideas and seeing other peoples' approaches, though difficult, were crucial aspects to my growth.
    The biggest shoutout I can give is to their outcomes strategy. Occasional guidance meetings and lectures on the job market led up into a full week on online presence, negotiation tactics, mock interviews--everything I needed to feel ready for an on site interview. I'm not good at marketing myself or coding under pressure, but after graduation, the constant contact with their alumni network and outcomes team kept me pushing myself and adapting my job search until I found a great fit for me. In under half a year, I completely changed my career and work mentality, and I've never been happier to make a living. Job search guidance is the biggest reason I wanted to try a boot camp, and Hack Reactor didn't let me down.

• Adrian Meza • Software Developer • Student

Hi,

Although the course is 3 months, I will highlight my process that all in all encompassed about a year. Formerly a high school teacher in Computer Science (CS), I saved up money (Step 1) and made the switch at the end of 2017 academic calendar for schools. I studied for approximately 2-3 months (Step 2) through Hack Reactor's SSP program where I could ping a Teaching Assistant (TA) during class hours and we would Zoom video chat instantly over a CS concept. Hack Reactor requires a 20% level of knowledge before Day 1, hence this studying was super helpful and useful with a TA. Next, I enrolled in the program for 3 months (Step 3) and made an effort to apply as a TA once I finished (Optional Step). I was a TA for 3 more months and teaching content helped solidify my understanding and practice explaining concepts, which was very helpful practice for my job interviews. Next, alumni services at Hack Reactor give you a helpful route to navigate the job hunt (Step 5) and I found a job 1.5 months after graduation. I ended up having 3 offers across 3 different states and came up a tad short for arguably the biggest tech company out there. This program isn't for everyone as you have to dedicate a significant amount of time and energy to the learning, but you get out what you put in and the job placement rates stand as a testament for Hack Reactor. Looking back, I was a high school teacher a year ago and post Hack Reactor I've garnered a great skill set in CS for a switch into the software industry.

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read. I can always answer more questions through LinkedIn messaging or ask for my personal email there.

AM

• Sally • Software Engineer • Graduate

I studied Finance in undergrad, but fell in love with computer science when I took my first programming course called Financial Engineering. I first learned about Coding Bootcamps back in 2015 and finally made the decision to go in 2017. During those two years, I studied on the weekends, researched my options and saved up for 9 months of unemployment (3 month immersive + 6 months of runway for the job search). When it came down to choosing a bootcamp, I was between App Academy and Hack Reactor. I ultimately chose Hack Reactor for one reason: I met somebody with a very similar background to me (same degree in Finance from the same University) and his testimony gave me the comfort I needed. At the end of the day, there are many outstanding bootcamps (Hack Reactor, AA, Rithm, GA, etc...), but success in these programs, in my opinion, will ultimately come down to your grit and interest in the subject matter.

There are three things I loved about Hack Reactor: 1) Attention to student development 2) Method of teaching 3) Relevance of curriculum

Every cohort will comprise of students with varying intellects and backgrounds. I had 10 cohort mates who had just graduated with a computer science degree from a four year university and others who taught 6th grade math and drilled into eyeballs. Every single one of these students got jobs. Regardless of your background, when it comes to succeeding in the program, you must be proactive in asking for help. I started off knowing a lot less than many of my cohort mates. I had to compensate by consistently and proactively asking for help by either scheduling 1:1 sessions with my Tech Mentor or connecting with other cohort mates after hours for further instruction. Hack Reactor's Tech Mentor team is truly unique and represent the proprietary value the bootcamp offers. These are former students who have mastered the curriculum and can teach it to you like you were a 3 year old kid. They've been in your shoes and they're patient. I can't speak for the current group of Tech Mentors, but while I was there, they were the shoulder that many of the students leaned on.

This bridges into my second point: Hack Reactor teaches you how to learn. After several iterations of bothering the kid next to you, you'll realize you can't keep bombarding people with questions every time you're stuck. You learn to work through bugs by yourself and with your partner before raising any alarms. I learned how to learn again at Hack Reactor and although I felt like there could be more structure at times, I also feel like I wouldn't have honed my learning abilities without that particular ratio of instruction to 'greenfield'.

Lastly, the curriculum lead (Fred-ness) works very hard to iterate over the current curriculum every 6 weeks to ensure that they cover relevant material. I was hired on to be a 'Hacker In Residence' directly after my graduation so I stayed onboard for another 3 months and over the course of 6 months, 4 cohorts, I saw the curriculum change every time. The Thesis involved a microservice backend that would impress any fullstack employer. New sprints building mini-apps. 'Expired' sprints were taken out. By the time I left, the graduating class had a toolbox ready to kill any interview (so long as you put in the work).

Hack Reactor isn't perfect, but no bootcamp is. It's a relatively new industry servicing hundreds of new students every 6 weeks (in SF alone). I wasn't the smartest kid in the room so I compensated by putting in the hours. I came in at 9am and left around 12am everyday, Monday to Saturday. It was normal for me to close up the school and that was okay because I had students there with me, grinding and studying. The camaraderie was real and the environment is truly unique.

I was able to turn my life around in 3-6 months for a fraction of what I paid for college. I got multiple offers before finishing my Hacker In Residence program. I love what I do and for 3 months of hell, it was worth it.

• Tim JN • Graduate

If you're absolutely sure that you want to eat, breathe, and live code then this can be the right decision for you. Anything less than this and your risk factor will be higher. Honestly, this may not be the right decision for some people. But for those who are really sure what they want to do and are passionate about it and willing to work hard, it can very well be the right decision.

Pros:
    -A new journey
    -Coding is exciting (for some at least)
    -Learning is always fun
    -Challenging in a way that makes you grow

Cons:
    -Very expensive
    -Huge commitment
    -Hard
    -May not be enough time to absorb everything
    -Very demanding
    -Nothing is guaranteed

• Worth the effort
    - 5/21/2018
    Karolee • Graduate

Hack Reactor's program is very intensive but worth the challenge. To succeed you should plan on this program being your whole life while you are attending. That's not to say you won't enjoy your time there. Every day introduces new challenges and new things to learn. The environment encourages a sense of community within your cohort. They have a great staff that cares about your success. After completing the program you will continue to receive support and assistance from their staff. If you embrace the program and everything they have to offer, it will set you up to succeed.

• Aprianto Wiwarsono • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

My decision to attend Hack Reactor was something that I would gladly make again. It prepared me really well to start contributing to my new role as a Software Engineer. The programme itself wasn't easy. It doesn't spoonfeed you if that's what you are looking for. The path is prepared, and it is entirely up to you to work hard and be successful. One thing that made it easier for me is that the mentors and coordinators are all very approachable and always motivating.

Now that you have decided to attend Hack Reactor make sure that you are prepared for it. Be comfortable with JavaScript and general programming at least. Practice some coding challenges, which you can find online through Leetcode, Codewars, etc. If you have more time to prepare, try to look at some framework or tools that you are interested in. Also, be very sure that you can commit 3 months of your life to Hack Reactor. The last thing you want is to start HR and have to do something else.

Hopefully, I managed to convince you to attend Hack Reactor. If you want to know more or have a specific question, feel free to reach out to me.

• Patrick • Student

I'll preface by saying Hack Reactor is not for the faint of heart. I truly believe anyone can do it - but not everybody will. Some people will not have the right attitude, drive, and determination to do what needs to be done to complete the program successfully.  That being said, if you decide you want to do it and that there's nothing that can stop you, nothing will.

I did Hack Reactor after investigating a bunch of bootcamps.  I decided on Hack Reactor due to their focus on people as whole software engineers instead of just as coders. I am more than happy with my decision. I was hired on as a TA after the program. During my time at Hack Reactor I've watched the curriculum grow in ways other bootcamps have not. It is really the best program available.

The only advice I'd give my younger pre-Hack Reactor self is do more studying before the program. Take some only CS classes from Harvard, MIT, or Stanford (they're all available online for free). Get a better solid foundation on which to build your CS knowledge. Other than that, I wouldn't have done anything differently.

• Patrick • Student

• Tyler • Graduate

When I first heard about Hack Reactor, I was skeptical of how a 3 month program could actually help land me a career in software engineering. But now having gone through the program, I can say that it has helped me reach my goals.

The thing with Hack Reactor is that it gives back to you exactly the effort that you put into it. It provides you with amazing mentors which are the cornerstone of the success of the program. Without them, the program would not be as successful.

The curriculum is excellent as well. Without the tech mentor, you could have found other decent resources online, but the guidance from the dedicated staff makes an incredible difference. Along with that, the skills you develop socially when working with the counselor help to develop what you need to succeed at the interview and on the job.

The main draw of what you are paying for is a well designed curriculum, strong peers, mentors who care and the ability to market yourself in interviews.

• A Miller • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor at the SF campus from October 2017 - Jan 2018, and my overall experience was extremely positive. I got a full-time position ~2 months after graduating as a Software Engineer at a tech company in the Bay Area.

PROS: HR will teach you what you need to know to A) get a job in Software Engineering, and B) actually do the job in Software Engineering. The curriculum was great - I was impressed that just about everything we were taught helped me on the job search / is helping me perform at a high level at my job. The first half of the course is built on teaching the fundamentals of web development/JavaScript and various front-end frameworks/backend technologies, and the second half is multiple group projects to get real experience utilizing those skills you learned in the first half (and also build out your portfolio for your GitHub/resume, which is a must-have for the job search). The staff/teachers are constantly adjusting the curriculum based on what the job market is looking for (including swapping in some of the latest frameworks), and the recent (Fall 2017) rework of the final project was extremely instrumental in me getting a job. Short summary of that project - it focused on building out a copy of the backend of a large app (my group chose Instagram), and utilizing a lot of modern technologies/methodologies to scale and deploy it. Being able to talk in-depth about database optimization techniques, horizontally/vertically scaling applications, properly implementing things like a cache and message bus/job queue, and Dockerizing and deploying my app to AWS was absolutely how I gained traction in the job search (and ultimately land a job in this field). Finally, my favorite part was the people - I moved to SF from across the country, not knowing anyone in the city....but through my time at HR I met some awesome people, and I have some extremely close friends (some students, some staff!) because of it. If you want to get 30 new friends in 3 months, then do a coding bootcamp.

CONS: The pace is very fast, and it's pretty hard too. The reason they have such fantastic job placement/salary stats and are regarded as one of the elite bootcamps (it's hard to believe, but you actually will make $100K+ when you graduate) is because learning this material in just 90 days is HARD. I put in the time required to study for the admissions exam as well as the material HR requires you to study during the 5 weeks immediately before you start...but I still struggled at times during the course, and I frequently found myself wishing I had studied a little harder before the program started. Be prepared to put in 60 hrs/week throughout the entire course; because I was scared of falling behind, I actually put in 80 hrs/week during the first half. There isn't room in the program to slack off and definitely not enough room to work part-time. It's totally worth it in the end, but if you're not prepared to give it your 100% focus then it will be frustrating and will lead to a much more difficult time during the job search.

• Jacob Sklar • Graduate

I made the switch to software engineering from law. I was starting from scratch with no technical expertise at all. Through my research I concluded that Hack Reactor was the best coding school available, and I went to their website to figure out the steps I needed to take to get up to speed and start the immersive. By closely following the free material from Hack Reactor's website, I was quickly able to get to where I needed to be to pass the admissions interview. Given how much I learned from Hack Reactor's free content, it was an easy decision for me to accept the offer.

After completing a rigorous precourse, I arrived at Hack Reactor ready to start drinking from the firehose. Through lectures, algorithm and data structures problems, and a lot of pair programming, I was able to learn how to be an autonomous full-stack software engineer. I wasn't just exposed to the latest tech, I was put through a process that taught me how to solve problems and get up to speed on any new technology. I was also given the chance to build out my portfolio and develop my teammwork skills by creating complex applications with my fellow students. I learned how to develop using agile principles and the scrum methodology.

In addition to learning how to be a software engineer, Hack Reactor gave me support for my job search, allowing me to land multiple offers within three months of leaving the immersive. I was given help with my resume, advice on preparing for interviews, and support from actual human beings. This support extended beyond graduation to ensure that my job search went as smoothly as possible. I would strongly reccomment Hack Reactor to anyone passionate about becoming a software engineer and willing to put in the effort to make it happen.

• Johnathan Cao • Software Engineer • Graduate

For me, Hack Reactor was worth every penny of tuition. It is a wonderful program with an incredibly well-designed curriculum. I was previously working in corporate finance and earning six figures, so this was not a decision I took lightly. I am now working as a software engineer at a major telecommunications company, writing code to deliver video content (and working in Golang to boot!).

I was worried about the pay cut I’d take to start over in a new industry, as I have earned my MBA and was making salary in line with my credentials. The pay cut ended up being only 10% and my skills are far ahead of the <1 year engineers with whom I am competing. Factor in that I had a reduction in working hours of 25+%, I’d say I came out ahead on a net basis (yes, we only work 40 hours a week!!!).

If you’re on the fence, there are two things that you need to think long and hard about:

1) Is this the career that I want?

— Learn to code and see if you enjoy it. The curriculum (and career that follows school) will be rigorous and challenging. If you’re doing it just for the money, you will struggle (this is why I left finance in the first place). I used to compete in computer science competitions in high school and really loved solving these types of problems; that’s how I knew this is the career path upon which I wanted to embark.

2) Am I willing to put in the time and effort?

— Like many other things in life, you will get out what you put in. One of my primary reasons for choosing Hack Reactor was the rigor of the curriculum. And it did not disappoint. The program is short relative to traditional higher education, but it will consume your life for the duration. That’s what it takes if you want to be the best!! We were in class for 60+ hours per week and I studied an additional 15 hours per week on my own outside of class. My stance was that if I am quitting a high paying job to do this, I want to maximize my learning so that I can improve my starting salary.

In addition to coding, Hack Reactor also does a great job with building soft skills. You’ll spend the entire program learning how to code as part of a team. There’s also practice with speaking and giving presentations. The staff provides a great support network that you can go to when you’re feeling stressed.

Here’s a bonus: one of my classmates had actually attended another boot camp (I won’t say who) and ended up attending Hack Reactor because he wasn’t satisfied with the education he got at the other camp. His problem with the other camp was that they went too wide — covered many languages and concepts, but became experts at none. Hack Reactor focuses on using JavaScript to drive just about everything so that you can learn those deeper concepts and take them with you to other languages. I credit this as one of the key reasons that I was able to land a job where the primarily language is one that I have never touched before!!

After graduation, I met with my team and career services on a weekly basis. Hack Reactor does a great job at giving you the tools and at providing the support you need post-graduation to land that first job. I was able to lean on career services for plenty of help with mock interviews, white boarding practice, and salary negotiation strategies. My team helped me identify opportunities for networking events. Additionally there’s a very active and vibrant Hack Reactor Alumni Slack channel, where people are always talking about career advice, who’s hiring, new technologies, and a multitude of other topics!

• Grant Spilsbury • Graduate

Hack Reactor is what you make of it... but they give you all the tools and support to make it great.

There are many ways to get a job as a software engineer: one of the quickest is through Hack Reactor. I had previous coding experience (sans Javascript). Hack Reactor got me up to speed with current best practices, latest coding techniques, dramatically improved my soft skills (being able to talk code one on one or in groups), and helped me put together my javascript portfolio.

I'm based in Australia and got really lucky and landed a mid-level Frontend Engineering job with an international company during the last week of Hack Reactor. But not everyone is so lucky. You must understand that they don't hand you a job. You have to take what you've learned during the course and bash down doors until someone hires you. The course is the "easy" part.

• Kate • Front End Engineer • Graduate

I am 100% happy that I chose to study at Hack Reactor. 10/10 with rice would do again.

I did the full-time remote program. I have a BFA and was a bartender before I started. I did a lot of self study, built some apps on my own, and was rejected once before attending.

My knowledge and understanding of Javascript, frameworks, and full stack development increased in a way I couldn't have replicated on my own in the same amount of time. The soft skills that you learn here are also extremely invaluable and it's what set me apart from others while searching for a job afterwards.

It was extremely hard, probably the most demanding 3 months of my life, but Hack Reactor taught me how to learn on my own, which has proven useful since my first day at my new job I was using PHP.

Advice: apply for the scholarship, and make time to take care of yourself while you are in the program.

• Antonio Caporicci • Software Engineer • Graduate

As a former public school teacher I was skeptical of the overall Bootcamp Experience.  The fees seemed exorbitant, and the promises of employment appeared out of line with my own perceptions of the job market.  After reading reviews and shopping around town I realized that Hack Reactor wasn’t offering what most bootcamps were,  they were providing an environment that allows people to push themselves to learn more than they thought possible. Even the entrance process was far more rigorous than what most bootcamps covered in the first part of their programs.  After taking the tour and talking to some alumni I decided that I would take the plunge, and I am truly thankful that I was able to be apart of this transformative program.

From the first day it was evident that the entire staff valued my experience.  The rigors of the curriculum proved to be an immense challenge, but one that I was never alone in.  All of the staff is incredibly supportive, and I was surrounded by the most inspirational group of peers I have ever met.

The curriculum is constantly evolving, and Hack Reactor provides the most up to date skills employers are looking for.  Most importantly though, they allow you to explore and experience the autonomy that will be needed day to day on the job.  During the first week, there was a lecture on the importance of the adopting the “Growth Mindset,” and  I can’t think of a more appropriate analogy for the overall experience of attending Hack Reactor.  If you show up every day with an open mind, work really hard, and push past minor setbacks along the way, you will come out the other end employable as a software engineer.

A year ago I decided to pursue a career software because I was looking for a challenging, yet rewarding skillset, a good work/life balance, and a comfortable salary.  Hack Reactor has provided me with all of the tools I needed to make that happen, and I can’t recommend them enough!

• Philip M • Software Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor (LA campus for me) was an excellent experience that I would recommend to anyone looking into coding bootcamps. I was very hesitant to do it at first because of the price and uncertainty, but I do not regret it at all. The course material was designed in such a way to teach us problem solving and autonomy as much as the technical skills to be full-stack JS developers. The instructors and staff were also top-notch and were helpful every step of the way. They are notably great at listening to feedback and are constantly improving as they get suggestions from students and industry experts. The work is tough and the days are long, but it was all worth it in the end.

• Hank Bowen • Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor May - July 2017, and can confidently say that it was  among the best personal and professional decisions I have made in my life. Not only does the program truly prepare you for a field in web development and software engineering, but the staff are also incredibly helpful and invested in your success. The curriculum is challenging but fun, and pushes students to learn autonomously in a supportive environment. I also had the incredible opportunity to stay on for 3 months after completing the program as a "Hacker in Residence", which is probably best described as a TA. The experience gave me the opportunity to fortify my skills and act as a mentor for students completing the course. I found that having recent students in this kind of role helped build my confidence, both as a student and as a graduate entering the market place. After completing my residency as an HiR, I landed a great job in Austin after about a 2 month search.

In addition to great material and structure throughout the program, after graduation you have access to dedicated career services who will support and coach you through the job search. I would highly recommend Hack Reactor to anyone interested in a career in tech, especially if you have no prior background.

• John Packel • Hard Core Decentralization Developer • Graduate

During my 20+ years in technology as an entrepreneur, product developer and marketer - much of it working with developers - I often wondered what was going on under the hood in the products and services I was creating and selling.

After 9 years at American Express, and having become obsessed with cryptocurrencies and the emerging blockchain ecosystem since discovering it in 2013, I left in July 2016 to add software engineering to my skillset and hopefully gain an ability to begin to understand technologies like Bitcoin on a deeper, technical level.

Hack Reactor was the perfect choice for me, and I wrote about the my initial 5 weeks in the program in this blog post: Wrestling with a New Paradigm and Relishing the “Obstacle As the Way”
    Coding bootcamps bring tremendous value — to both employers and a U.S. workforce in need of serious retooling

Fast forward a year and I'm in my dream job at ConsenSys, combining my product development experience with my new full-stack dev skills to create the MVP for a decentralized loyalty platform inspired by the local currency movement (I architected the app and am coding much of the back end), Localties.io.

I highly recommend adding software engineering to your skillset, I fully endorse Hack Reactor and their approach to achieving measurable results through data-driven real-time iterations based on weekly student feedback and the skills employers are currently demanding, and I'm happy to speak with anyone seriously considering a bootcamp.

• Timothy Roy • Software Engineer • Graduate

I'd taught myself web development and had been doing it for a bit before coming to Hack Reactor, and had also done several courses on algorithms.

In fact, partway through the first half of the course, I noticed that I already knew all the concepts being taught. Should I keep going?

I did keep going, and that was a great decision. Even though I had more experience than the usual person who attends Hack Reactor, I gained the three benefits I hoped for.

First, in-depth JavaScript. Hack Reactor isn't really a 0-60 program, more of a 20-120. While many JavaScript engineers have a somewhat superficial understanding of the language, Hack Reactor grads really, really know it. JavaScript has libraries for every programming concept you can think of, and being very comfortable with several different versions of the language unlocks all those libraries.

Second, experience collaborating with other engineers using industry-standard Agile techniques. This approach is built into the curriculum, and then you build it in to your team's projects during the second half of the course. You have the opportunity to use tools like ZenHub or Waffle to drive and coordinate your development.

Third, a great portfolio. Using a great tech stack, my team and I built slick-looking applications in only a few weeks. When I applied for positions, both the app and the code really impressed people.

Many of my fellow students at Hack Reactor had no prior experience, but with hard work they were able to gain impressive skills. Some students have computer science degrees and come for coding experience. Some, like me, have a bit of prior experience and come to round it out and build a portfolio. That portfolio really works!

I thought the entire course was very well structured and targeted to provide maximum value and learning, and you build a great sense of community with your fellow Hack Reactors, which turns into a great network after you graduate. I also thought the career advice and resume preparation was very professional and well-done.

If you come, be sure to sleep and take time off. Some cohorts are especially motivated and it can be easy not to stop. Personally, I've noticed that students who never take a break actually have a tougher time. Give your brain a chance to put it all together

• Trace • Junior FullStack Engineer • Student

I had a great experience during the boot camp and after. During the course, there was always someone there to help, and they were great at restraining themselves so you still had to learn on your own. I got enough instruction to help and motivate me to keep learning and just little enough to give me the confidence to succeed.

After the course, the staff and my classmates kept in touch weekly through video chat which is amazing for what will be a very stressful time in your life. There was a lot of support offered and the networking through Hack Reactor is very good. Everyone in my class got at least one interview through their network or from a rep invited to come to the school, and I ended up getting a job with someone who had previously gone through the program. Total time for me was 8 months, 3 months in the program and 5 months to the first day on the job (I was the last in my class to land one btw)!

• Sam Olukotun • Graduate

I had planned to pursue a master's degree when I came across Hack Reactor. Compared to a traditional college, Hack Reactor has turned out to be a more rewarding investment of my time and money. Highly recommended.

• Matt Fernandez • Software Engineer • Graduate

Growing up I always gravitated to computers.  I was part of the ‘computer club’ growing up.  I built computers, and I programmed.  For one reason or the other I felt that it would be impossible for me to complete my dream of becoming a Software Engineer.  Hack Reactor helped me complete my goal.

I went through Hack Reactor Prep, I interviewed, I got accepted, I went through pre-course, I went through the immersive, and I spent time as an Hacker in Residence.  Now I am working as a Software Engineer.  Hack Reactor works.

Remember Hack Reactor is in the business of creating Software Engineers.  Traditional 4 year institutions are in the business of giving you a diploma.  If your goal is to become a Software Engineer then you should go through Hack Reactor.

The Hack Reactor staff is dedicated to student growth.  Your colleagues will be some of the most dedicated, and passionate folks that you will ever meet.  All of them will come from different walks of life.  All of them as crazy as you.  All of them crazy as you about becoming a Software Engineer.

It will be one of the most challenging things that you will ever go through.  I worked very long hours to not fall behind during the immersive program.  Having said that, it was worth it.  Hack Reactor has given me a second chance at life.

• Great education
    - 10/26/2017
    Conor • Software engineer • Graduate

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Hack Reactor. The instructors were top notch, happy to talk to you about anything you may not understand at anytime during the hours of the course. The curriculum is also phenomenal.

• HR made my career
    - 10/26/2017
    Roberto Alvarez • Frontend Engineer II • Graduate

My experience is of April 2014. I was in the 12th cohort of Hack Reactor, so things might have changed. But this is my experience:

If you are planning to go serious into software, Hack Reactor is the best thing you can possibly do. If indeed you are serious enough, plan on disappearing from life for 3 months to fully dive into software engineering with JavaScript and related technologies. Forget about your previous life, and prepare yourself for the new, better life. It will not be easy, and it will not be soft on you - yet it will be truly amazing. Expect to walk into the building at around 8:30 am, and leaving maybe around 11pm, 6 days a week. You get to a point when you can no longer think or talk coherently (or at least I couldn’t), then you zombie your way back home, and sleep. Even then, some of my teammates even stayed longer - and some of them didn’t sleep at all sometimes (not that I would recommend that). As somebody else put it (I can’t remember who it was, but it wasn’t me), it’s like being extremely thirsty and trying to drink from a fire hose. When the program ends, you will be incredibly tired, but also proud with yourself. You will be pretty excited and looking forward to succeed in your first job as a software engineer.

The program:

People come from all over the world for Hack Reactor, myself included. I think that speaks for itself, but feel free to keep reading.

First half:

In the first half, you are pretty much very thirsty and start drinking. The pace is incredibly fast (remember not sleeping?) and relies on you being able to pick up on things real quick. You will try to absorb 100% of what’s going on, and then you’ll realize that’s impossible, and lower your standards a little bit. Even then, the amount of knowledge and hands on practice that you get is amazing. You will forget what day of the week it is, and start thinking of time as 2-day blocks, (in which different sprints happen, each covering key topics or new technologies/libraries). You will not realize how much you’ve grown (and will not believe it when other people and instructors tell you you’ve grown). The first half of the program, after 6 incredibly intense weeks, ends with a 2 day solo hackaton, where you get to “take yourself for a test drive” ( - Ryan Stellar), building anything from your own imagination from the ground up. Any ideas you’ve always wanted to do ? This is the time. And you can probably do it by now, and if you can’t, you can learn how to real fast.

Second half:

The second half marks your transition from an eager junior to a more experienced senior student, where you get to work more in small and mid-sized teams. There’s two projects you complete in the remaining 6 weeks, and by the end you also get some very sweet guidance on job hunting efficiently. Some people choose to work for third party companies, some don’t. Whatever you choose, it will be another amazing experience, and by the end, you will have a very impressive set of projects to show off in hiring day. Hiring day takes place a few days before you graduate, and basically features a bunch of cool companies and startups getting to know you and convincing themselves on how awesome you and your friends are.

Staff and instructors:

By now I am sure you’ve heard on how awesome Marcus/Phillip/Fred/Ryan/Ruan and pretty much everyone is, but you may not be fully convinced. Well, if that’s the case I probably can’t convince you either, so just play the number’s game. All of us seem to share that opinion, so it’s probably very accurate. You will not be disappointed.

The people (classmates):

The most amazing and ridiculously brilliant people, all in the same room.

The experience:

Overall, around 4.8 / 5. It’s not perfect, but it’s very close. And the people at Hack Reactor take feedback very seriously, so it just keeps getting better and better. Specific suggestions that the previous class made were already incorporated into mine. It is always innovating and searching for new ways to make it even more awesome. The amount of work that goes into user experience is impressive. If you manage to get past the technical interviewsand the cultural fit, you will have a blast going through the program.

I have had 2 jobs since Hack Reactor, one at a bigger tech company (LinkedIn) and currently in a start-up. I have had multiple promotions in these ~3 years since graduating HR. Hack Reactor helped me achieve my true potential (cliche, I know)

• Adrian • Applicant

tldr - go to app academy

I was accepted into Hack Reactor, then 6 days before I was supposed to enter the program, I was told I couldn't come anymore. I passed the technical assessment, even did the Pre-course work, but a week before my cohort was supposed to start, we were told we had to have a "counselor check" (which was never part of the admissions process until we were notified). Then after the counselor check, I get an email saying I was "provisionally accepted." Keep in mind, that was AFTER I was already accepted. So I send a reply email, then get a call, and I was told that reply email was totally inappropriate. I disagreed and then I was told I wouldn't be able to come to this cohort after all. So I just withdrew completely from Hack Reactor at that point. There are a bunch of reasons this was really unprofessional, but the first is that this "counselor check" could have EASILY been done after the technical assessment (MONTHS before the starting cohort date), thereby letting me know months in advance if I was fully accepted. This is why people think coding bootcamps are sketchy, and I have to say, after my experience, they are right to think that. My advice, check out App Academy, which seems like a legit and trustworthy bootcamp.