hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (302) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (63) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationDenver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, New York City, Los Angeles, Austin, San Francisco, San Jose, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    DepositAfter you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies like Ascent Funding and Climb Credit that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Tuition PlansFinancing options are available.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    Scholarship$1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Prep WorkHack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
  • Remote Full-time Software Engineering Immersive

Prep Workhttps://www.hackreactor.com/prep-programs
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Tuition PlansApplicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
  • Harry K • student • Applicant

So whenever I write a review, I try to keep things factual and transparent...mainly because I'm just a regular non-IT guy trying to get into fulltime web development.  I've mastered HTML and CSS but its time to get serious about Immersive.

I first contacted Hack Reactor through the number on their website.  This turned out to be a gigantic waste of time...as calls kept getting routed to someone called "MakerSquare"...and the Chinese guy who answered had no clue about any kind of Bootcamp.
    So then I contacted them through their facebook website, facebook has this live messenger type thing, kind of like live customer support.
    The lady who was typing in the chatbox let me know that most of the instructors are HIR...Hackers In Residence...which is just a fancy way of saying "Former Graduates".

I was like, seriously?  You want me to pay 20k tuition to be trained by someone who used to work at Walmart or used to make sandwiches at Panera Bread?

Complete and total scam...all their placement numbers on their website are un-verified and probably unrealistic.

You can get the same education for 50% less anywhere else.

Stay away from these guys.

-Harry

Response From: Harsh Patel of Hack Reactor
    Title: COO
    Friday, Dec 09 2016
    Hi Harry - thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our team has learned what we can from it and documented our action items in this post: http://www.hackreactor.com/blog/hack-reactors-response-to-recent-november-2016-course-report-reviews. We work hard to deliver an amazing program to every student, and we're sorry we didn't get there for you.

We would also like to correct a couple misconceptions that readers might wind up with.
    1. It’s mentioned that HiRs are just a fancy way of saying “former graduates”. You are right that they are fancy and former grads, but HiRs are also the top students from the cohort, the cream of the crop if you will, and are subsequently chosen to stay at HR to contribute to the experience here. HiRs are students who have gone through the curriculum successfully, and are generally ones who love helping their peers. Typically, these are students who otherwise would have had no problem in the job search. They are actively seeking to stay a part of the positive and encouraging community because they love it.
    2. Regarding our placement numbers being un-verified and unrealistic, this is absolutely not true. The only way we can uphold the highest form of integrity, is through a third-party validation of data. In fact, in June 2016, Hack Reactor launched the Standard Student Outcomes Methodology (SSOM) as a transparent, systematic way of quantifying and reporting student outcomes. This is the first of its kind and allows bootcamps to classify each student according to clear definitions and strict documentation standards, and provides formulas for calculating placement rate, graduation rate and average graduate salary. Hack Reactor’s 2015 Audited Report was conducted in accordance to the attestation standards established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. We invite any school to adopt this method to give honest information to prospective students.

Thank you again for leaving your feedback. Read more in our blog post where we address your concerns and provide our action items.

• Kevin • Graduate

Hack Reactor is a life-changing program that I would recommend to anyone that is motivated willing to work hard to achieve their goals of becoming a software engineer. Throughout the first half there were times that I struggled, however as we entered the project phases in the second half, I felt prepared to learn and tackle problems without the guidance of a structured curriculum. Our cohort had a new curriculum that was changed for week 12, with more of a focus on the types of things that previous graduates had struggled with in the job searching phase. This was still a bit rough around the edges since it was new, however it was very valuable to find out the spots that needed to be improved on as I begin my own job search. Finally the best takeaway from Hack Reactor is the amazing people I met and worked with, this is what made the program special, being surrounded by motivated and like-minded people all helping each other work towards our future goals.

• Best decision ever
    - 10/31/2016
    Julie • Software Engineer • Graduate

I had always wanted to make the move into web development since I discovered the internet and I had taken online classes at a local community college but was never able to actually make the move until I took this class.

I found out about HR while reading my feeds at work after just having received my severance date.  I used what was going to be my severance check to pay for the program and was the only female in a cohort of 15.

It is a lot of hard work and I think you get what you put into it.  There were issues as we were the second remote cohort, but the HR team bent over backwards to help and support us.

With respect to finding a job afterwards, I believe it was harder being remote, but through the support and persistence of certain people at HR, I was able to find a job in my home town about 8-9 weeks after graduating.  Yes I had to do the job hunt.  Yes I had to send out the resumes.  Yes I had to do the work.  But HR was checking in almost daily with me with words of encouragement and mock interviews.

After all was said and done, I now work as a Software Engineer and my husband loves to tell people "Yea I thought this was another of her 'get rich quick schemes', but it worked!".  I love my job!

• Simeon • Graduate

You'll never find a better way to invest in your career. This place attracts amazing, friendly people and the staff work painstakingly hard to foster an incredible environment for learners to thrive. It's fast paced and requires long hours and discipline but what is really important is that the entire program is structured to turn you into a learning machine, which is what a software developer will need to have a long and successful career. If you're thinking about making a career change at all, this is the place to do it!

• Chris • Student • Student

Hack Reactor is a rigorous and challenging bootcamp. I learned things in an amount of time I could never dream of before joining. I met some of the most amazing and intelligent people from diverse backgrounds. Would recommend to anyone looking for a challenge.

• Hack Reactor Review
    - 10/28/2016
    Robert Chao • Graduate

Good culture to provide you with the tools necessary to learn javascript and CS fundamentals. The course is no cake walk, however. Expect to spend 80+ hours a week studying/coding. Staff instruction/lectures is kept to a minumum to foster independent learning amongst students.

• Josephine Eng • Graduate

Hack Reactor is a school that cares about their student's success and well-being.  I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to start a career in software engineering and thrives in a fast pace environment.  Everyone here genuinely cares about what they are doing.  Working among talented, smart, and passionate people in such an immersive program cultivates an environment for success.  I found myself more motivated than ever.  Hack Reactor also puts a lot of care, thought, and dedication into creating the best possible program that will help their students reach their full potential, and welcomes constant feedback from each person, to constantly improve and adapt to student needs.  The program is incredibly rigorous and designed to foster the kind of growth and autonomy needed to succeed in software engineering.  I entered the program expecting it to be very difficult, but what I didn't expect was how much fun I would have.  Ultimately, I came away with the skills necessary to land a job, an amazing experience, and entire cohort of friends who I genuinely cherish.

• Wendy Cheung

These last three months has been the most rewarding and fun experience I had. I learned so much and I got to meet a group of awesome smart dedicated software engineers. Love my cohort, Hack Reactor knows how to pick the right students.

• surender singh • Graduate

One of the life changing moment. Hack Reactor is a real software engineering school which push you hard to find your potential and apply it. I have learned so much while studing here. I would highly recommend people who believe themselve that they could be software engineers or they should have go to software school.

• Highly rewarding
    - 10/27/2016
    Sean • Graduate

Let me start off by saying that Hack Reactor is not for everyone. It costs a lot of money, takes up a lot of time and energy, and you are pretty much foregoing 3 months of your life to be without family, friends and a lot of sleep. It will be a mentally, physically, and perhaps even emotionally draining experience. However, if you are okay with all of that and feel the need to make a career switch into programming, there is no better alternative than going to Hack Reactor.

Personally, Hack Reactor has been a life-changing experience. I feel that if you choose to go, the people you meet at Hack Reactor will probably be the smartest, nicest and most outstanding people you will ever have the chance to meet. And not only will you be able to meet them, but you will also have the opportunity to work together and form very close, lasting friendships.

On top of having a great community, Hack Reactor also has an excellent curriculum and fantastic staff. Every morning you are given a toy problem to solve, and over the course of the program you will get really good at solving problems and devising algorithms. After the first 6 weeks, you will become a master at JavaScript, and over the next 6 weeks, you will have developed 4 applications of your choosing. This is guaranteed, thanks to the support provided by the staff, who always make themselves available if you seek assistance.

My time at Hack Reactor has been the most incredible 12 weeks of my life. If you are willing to invest the time and money, I can't think of anywhere better than this magical environment.

• Apply and go.
    - 10/26/2016
    Mike Bordelon • Student

The staff: They pour their hearts into the students, curriculum and in general into HR, always looking for ways to improve. My tech mentor (shout out to Beth!) knew the curriculum inside and out and could get you going on the right path in just a few minutes if you were ever stuck. Lectures from Fred and Allen were all like mini master classes.

The students:  Tons of smart people, many were engineers from fields other than computer engineering. My cohort in particular really bonded...like REALLY bonded, and it made being at HR 13-15 hours a day fun. There were Nerf wars, bar nights and after class toy problem sessions to help us all get through it alive.

Culture:  Well think about it, you’re surrounded by the same people for 3 months, coding all day, changing your lives…it’s not a typical environment. There’s a great vibe at HR, but it’s hard for me to describe.

Job Support: I would like to update this part after I’m employed. I’m currently in the first week of the job search, and the support so far has been great. FYI, it’s been proposed to us that it’s not an easy task to find that first job and that rejection is the norm. But, after graduating HR you will have value that can be monetized, it just takes getting your foot in the door and proving yourself.

Apply to HR, if you don’t get in immediately apply again.

• Nick Olszowy • Graduate

This place is intense. When your moment comes, will you go capture it or let it pass? I've never been pushed so hard (productively, with a lot of support) in my life. And I'm proud to say that my cohort has succeeded and it's exciting to see what we'll do now.

I guess some others below didn't like the focus on becoming an autonomous learner, but I found this aspect of the course to be very rewarding. Since being a Software Engineer is a career in lifelong learning, it makes sense that a critical skill to gain would be independent learning. It's true that there aren't as many lectures as a traditional learning environment, but the lectures we did have were top-notch, and really focused on making sure everyone in the room was engaged and on-board. To me, it didn't matter at all that there were relatively few lectures, the rest of the material was amazing too and kept us quite busy.

There are many other accurate reviews of the curriculum so I'll just mention that they just overhauled their last week of curriculum, focusing it to align more with the types technical challenges we are likely to face, and gave us a LOT more material to study up on going into the job search. I feel very well prepared for it and confident in my abilities, with a clear roadmap to keep preparing.

A few things I really enjoyed learning here:

• Asynchronous programming in Node.js and Promises
    • React Native
    • ES6 syntax
    • Pair programming
    • Docker, microservices and service-oriented architecture principles
    • Designing a RESTful API