hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a code school that provides immersive full-time and part-time coding programs online and in-person at campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, Denver, Seattle, and New York City. Hack Reactor’s bootcamps include a 12-week Software Engineering Immersive, a 36-week Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive, and a 19-week Software Engineering Immersive with JavaScript and Python. Led by passionate and experienced instructors, engineers, and career advisors, Hack Reactor graduates become job-ready software engineers that companies want to hire. Hack Reactor coding bootcamps are challenging, life-changing, and designed to fit a student’s schedule and skill level. Hack Reactor trains students using a computer science and coding curriculum that models the exciting work being done in the software engineering industry.

Applicants to the 12-week and 36-week Software Engineering Immersives will need to pass a Technical Admissions Assessment (TAA), which tests for intermediate coding competency. (Those applying for the 19-week program do not need to pass the TAA.) Hack Reactor offers test prep programs to help prepare applicants for this assessment.

Hack Reactor provides students with a large network of professional peers, 1:1 coaching, mock interviews and job training, and building a student’s online presence. All students graduate as autonomous, full-stack software engineers, fully capable of tackling unique problems and building complex applications on the job. To date, the school has more than 7,000 graduates who’ve been hired by more than 2,500 companies around the world.

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.72

all (319) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (67) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • 12-Week Software Engineering Immersive

CSS, HTML, JavaScript, AngularJS, Express.js, Front End, Git, jQuery, MySQL, Node.js, React.js
    LocationSan Francisco, Online, Denver, Seattle, New York City, Los Angeles, Austin
    After our 12-week coding bootcamp, you'll be what you want to be: a software engineer, fully capable of tackling unique and unfamiliar problems and building complex applications on the job. During the program, you can expect: 1) Real engineering work, right away: You'll work through hundreds of hours of problems designed to prepare you for success in technical interviews and in the workplace. 2) Real tools and practices to build job-ready skills: You'll gain the skills to plan, scope, build, and manage applications. You'll learn cutting-edge tech like React and ES6, along with Full Stack JavaScript and computer science fundamentals. 3) Real-world expectations to help launch your career: We'll challenge you to meet deadlines and requirements, build autonomy, communicate with precision, and collaborate effectively. Then we'll help you land the job you've worked so hard to prepare for. Learn more: https://www.hackreactor.com/coding-bootcamp
    DepositAfter acceptance, a non-refundable $100 deposit is required in order to secure your spot.
    Galvanize is proud to offer Hack Reactor students a variety of tuition assistance options including full-tuition scholarships, Income Share Agreements, and working with lending partners like Ascent Funding and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansPlease see the Financing section above.
    ScholarshipYes, we’re proud to offer scholarships for Hack Reactor Software Engineering Immersive students. Learn more: https://www.hackreactor.com/scholarships
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents need to demonstrate fluency in JavaScript fundamentals and are driven learners and communicators. (Our Prep programs help you develop these skills.)
    Prep WorkOnce accepted and prior to your start date, plan to spend about 90-120 hours on our Precourse curriculum. When you're done, you'll have a strong foundation in JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and more, and you'll be ready for Day 1.
  • 12-Week Software Engineering Online Immersive

AngularJS, Front End, JavaScript, Express.js, Git, HTML, jQuery, MySQL, Node.js, React.js
    After our 12-week online coding bootcamp, you'll be what you want to be: a software engineer, fully capable of tackling unique and unfamiliar problems and building complex applications on the job. During the program, you can expect: 1) Real engineering work, right away: You'll work through hundreds of hours of problems designed to prepare you for success in technical interviews and in the workplace. 2) Real tools and practices to build job-ready skills: You'll gain the skills to plan, scope, build, and manage applications. You'll learn cutting-edge tech like React and ES6, along with Full Stack JavaScript and computer science fundamentals. 3) Real-world expectations to help launch your career: We'll challenge you to meet deadlines and requirements, build autonomy, communicate with precision, and collaborate effectively. Then we'll help you land the job you've worked so hard to prepare for. 4) As a remote learner, you can also expect live online instruction and interaction. Learn to code in real-time from world-class instructors, pair program with your classmates, and build your network during after-hours online events. You’ll also have access to our team 6 days a week. As questions arise, you'll have the support you need, inside and outside of class time. Reach out to instructors and mentors to set up real-time videoconferences, and stay in touch with your peers on Slack at any hour. Learn more: https://www.hackreactor.com/online-coding-bootcamp
    Tuition PlansPlease see the Financing section above.
    ScholarshipYes, we’re proud to offer scholarships for Hack Reactor Software engineering Immersive students. Learn more: https://www.hackreactor.com/scholarships
    Minimum Skill LevelAll applicants must pass a coding challenge and Technical Admissions Assessment (TAA), which tests for intermediate coding competency. Our Prep programs will help you get there: https://www.hackreactor.com/prep-programs
    Prep WorkOnce accepted and prior to your start date, incoming students should plan to spend about 90-120 hours on our Precourse curriculum. When done, you'll have a strong foundation in JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and more, and you'll be ready for Day 1.
  • 19-Week Software Engineering Immersive with JavaScript & Python

SQL, React.js, Python, Node.js, MySQL, HTML, Front End, Express.js, CSS, AngularJS
    Through this 19-week online coding bootcamp, you’ll be able to start thriving in a new career -- even if you have no coding experience. Students commit 45 hours per week for 19 weeks, and can expect: 1) In-demand technology and computer science. Our curriculum includes algorithms, data structures, networking, and databases. You’ll also learn Python and JavaScript, the two most in-demand programming languages, plus state-of-the-art practices such as microservices, CI/CD, and network security. 2) Expert instruction using a mastery learning model. We crafted a modern curriculum using the mastery learning model to ensure you grasp, internalize, and master every learning module. This includes the ability to retake modules as needed, and each module culminates in a project so you can build an impressive portfolio to show future employers. 3) Training for long-term career health. We cover skills that lead to career sustainability, including how to establish and maintain healthy and supportive work relationships, use stress management to reduce fatigue and frustration, and have confidence in your decisions. 4) Career services. We don’t wait until the end of the program to talk about jobs. Throughout your 19 weeks, our experienced Career Services team will help you land the job and career you want. Get 1:1 coaching tailored to your skills and needs, go through mock interviews, build your professional resume, and more. Learn more: https://www.hackreactor.com/learn-python-learn-javascript
    Tuition PlansPlease see the Financing section above.
    Minimum Skill LevelNone. No coding experience is needed.
    Prep WorkApplicants are required to pass a typing test and non-technical cognitive assessment. Once accepted, students are given Course Primers (not required but highly encouraged), which help everyone refresh on computer literacy and high school math.
  • 36-Week Software Engineering Online Immersive

JavaScript, HTML, CSS, AngularJS, Express.js, Front End, jQuery, MySQL, Node.js, React.js
    The carefully designed pace of our part-time online coding bootcamp allows for work-life balance as you train for a new career. Become a software engineer in 36 weeks; learn to code nights and weekends. Afterward, you'll be what you want to be: a software engineer, fully capable of tackling unique and unfamiliar problems and building complex applications on the job. During the program, you can expect: Real engineering work, right away: You'll work through hundreds of hours of problems designed to prepare you for success in technical interviews and in the workplace. Real tools and practices to build job-ready skills: You'll gain the skills to plan, scope, build, and manage applications. You'll learn cutting-edge tech like React and ES6, along with Full Stack JavaScript and computer science fundamentals. Real-world expectations to help launch your career: We'll challenge you to meet deadlines and requirements, build autonomy, communicate with precision, and collaborate effectively. Then we'll help you land the job you've worked so hard to prepare for. Learn more: https://www.hackreactor.com/part-time-coding-bootcamp
    Tuition PlansApplicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
  • Kevin Weng • Student

Hack Reactor was an absolutely amazing and life-changing experience. I know it sounds corny and overused, but it 100% changed my life for the better. The program drove home the idea that the opportunity to attend the program is a rare one, and I should respect that opportunity and take full advantage of it. With that opportunity, I am expected to work HARD, and that hard work WILL pay off. In the first few weeks, the lecturers reinforced and made relatable a very common saying, that success is 90% hard work. That really stuck with me, and pushed me. One of the best things about the program is that the program itself, aka the journey, is also the prize, as the journey is the learning that will allow us to pass tough interviews, showcase learned skills, and ultimately land a good paying job in software engineering. That mentality helped me stay motivated for the duration of the program. One key differentiator between Hack Reactor and traditional colleges is motivation. I attended college because of expectations, not because of my own desire. I attended Hack Reactor after attending college, a graduate program, and after working for a few years and feeling extremely unhappy and stuck. This situation added a ton of motivation for me to work my hardest and to do my best, to have a successful outcome of finding a full time software engineering job. The curriculum was also fantastic. The day is broken up into bite sized chunks of lecture, exercise, and deeper dive small projects. This structure helped me stay focused and helped me work for longer, especially compared against the long monotony of self-study and test-prep of traditional schooling. Combined with the long hours of 9AM - 8PM Monday - Saturday, I learned so much so quickly, and was able to apply the learnings immediately. One of the best aspects of the program in my opinion is the section on writing better resumes. I found it immensely helpful. It clarified for me what was important, what was unnecessary, and more importantly gave me a good formula for better resumes. Post-graduation, the job search support I received was absolutely top notch. The outcomes team told me exactly what I needed to hear to stay motivated, to avoid imposter syndrome, to keep applying, and to stay organized and on top of my interviews. They were extremely transparent with aggregate previous student outcomes, like average number of jobs applied before offer, average number of technical interviews, on-sites, etc. And that again set the tone that the market is huge, and through perseverance, I WILL land a job. Most importantly for me, they demystified and simplified the job search process to a math problem: x% of applications gets to a phone screen, y% of phone screens get to an on-site, z% of on-site interviews lead to an offer. Or the other way to think about it: assuming one is just as likely as any other candidate to get a job, and there are x average applicants per job opening, then an average applicant needs to apply to at least x jobs to receive an offer, on average. One of the amazing services the outcomes team provided was helping us and consistently reminding us to keep track of every single application, phone screen, and interview through a work tracker. This helped me stay organized, and helped me to continue working even when I felt like stopping because I hadn’t done enough that day. One of the outcomes team members, Marlene, also helped me navigate the negotiation process. She was completely amazing. Armed with the knowledge of thousands of other offers and industry norms, Marlene helped me understand what was likely, what was reasonable, and that it never hurts to ask for more. She helped me get a lot more than my initial offers. During my second job search Marlene continued to help me, acting as the Alumni Director. She helped me navigate the simultaneous job search process as well as multiple offer negotiation process. She’s so knowledgeable and experienced, I don’t even know how to talk about it.

• Stephen • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated summa cum laude from a top 20 US university and am a former management consultant. College was great. Hack Reactor was amazing. I learned so much in so little time, and took away more than content - Hack Reactor (re)taught me how to learn, and left me with new expectations for my own grit and growth mindset. And while my outcomes were unusually strong, I'm not the only one who's ended up with several offers from top Silicon Valley companies (Google, Lyft, Yelp, others) 8 months after writing their first line of code.

• Alumni Director
    - 6/13/2019
    Michael DeLucco • Technical Partner Manager • Graduate

The alumni community is fantastic, and Alumni Director Marlene in particluar is amazing! I would recommend this program to anyone!

• Hack Reactor FTW
    - 6/12/2019
    Zachary Lopez • Engineering Lead • Student

I attended Hack Reactor in SF in 2015. It's proven to be one of the most beneficial and impactful decisions that I have made in my life. During the course, I received incredible opportunities to learn at a pace that exceeds most workplaces. What was most special to me is the care I received by Marlene, Career Coach, during the second half of course. She was there to provide me critical feedback and help me through the job search.

Post Hack Reactor, during job search 2, I reached back out to Marlene to see what help she could provide as Alumni Director. She was swift to ask for and critique my resume. Then she went to work using the Hack Reactor network to help me find roles and people to talk to. She even provided advice about comp and negotiation that I wasn't expecting.

Overall, Hack Reactor was a wonderful experience. I met some great friends, and gained invaluable contacts for the journey ahead.

• Huy Truong • Student

Hack Reactor was a great overall experience! I learned a lot about full stack development and made a lot of potentially life-long friends from my cohort.

The curriculum: I thought this was very well designed to enable the students an opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the world of full stack web development. One important note is that the technical mentors work hard to ensure the curriculum is up to date so when you finish, your skills won't be obsolete! This is very important when you start job searching after you've finished the boot camp. I was very impressed as most of what we learned was usually listed on the job description.

Job support: finishing the boot camp is only half the battle. I was and still am very grateful for the support I received from my career coach (shout out to L!). You could set up a weekly check-in with your career coach to go over what worked and what didn't as well as support and advice on salary negotiation. Your cohort is also encouraged to create groups and meet however many times weekly to help support and keep each other accountable.

A disclaimer: Your effort largely determines how enjoyable and successful the immersive will be for you. The harder you work and immerse yourself, the bigger the ROI will be on this investment.

Thanks to all the HR staff and cohort-mates for a very enjoyable and memorable experience!

• Joseph An • Graduate

My experience at Hack Reactor was exceptional. The curriculum was immersive and challenging, while the community of like-minded individuals fostered an environment for collaborative learning and growth. It is a rigorous program, requiring some level of grit and above all, challenged me to think like an engineer. HR is not a traditional classroom-set course (although there are lectures here and there), but is much more hands-on, with you learning through the application of concepts as well as trial-and-error. For me, this method of learning was critical to my growth as a developer. Ultimately, HR provided a strong foundation that prepared me for entering the industry.

• Patrick Doyle • Software Engineer • Graduate

Let me start by saying that this was one of the biggest and scariest decisions I've made in my life! Now that I have that out of the way, I also want to say that this was also one of the best decisions I've made in my life. My experience throughout the program was nothing short of exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time. I don't think there is anyone there or anyone that has gone through the program that wouldn't tell you that it requires mental fortitude to take the leap of faith and push yourself towards you goal of becoming a software engineer. One of the wonderful things about Hack Reactor is that, that fortitude is fostered in amazing ways. The sense of community that is developed with not only the other students but also the staff is something that you don't often find in most educational settings.
    I, for one, was coming from an unfulfilling job and was looking for a way to change my life for the better. I had been teaching myself coding on the side as a hobby and began to get a little more serious about it when my wife really started pushing me towards it more seriously. I went through the same process as everyone else (including you right now) and read what felt like a million different reviews on countless different programs. Hack Reactor stood out to me for several reasons but it was the consistent reviews of the overall program and the support afterwards that really sold me.
    When I first started I was incredibly nervous and felt like all of my classmates were lightyears ahead of me, but I am almost positive everyone has the same initial feelings. The staff is there immediately to help even before the program actually starts. From start to finish you're never alone in your learning adventure. A lot of the learning will be spent doing research on your own, but that's what its like in the real world as well, so don't worry. And if you're ever truly stuck, help is almost immediately available for you thanks to the very knowledgable staff and even your other classmates.
    I know all this sounds like sunshine and rainbows, and for the most part it is- now that I'm looking back on it. This is a serious program for serious people who are willing to commit themselves completely to achieving a goal of changing their lives. It will be hard. You will feel overwhelmed. You will, at times, feel a lot of self-doubt. But if you start down this path, you will not be alone and will achieve a sense of self-satisfaction that is second to none.

• Drew Curtis • Software Engineer • Graduate

It's not easy to quit your job, spend a large portion of your past 3 years of savings, and then commit all of your time for a chance to succeed as a software engineer. It also wasn't comforting that I often felt behind when I joined the program. For moments, I had the looming cloud of fear and regret when I couldn't complete a project or I performed poorly on an assessment. Despite all the fear, if you are a passionate individual who has a strong work ethic and is willing to commit 100% of your time for at least 6 months with no back-up or fail safe options then I know you'll succeed. If you will work together with your fellow students then not only will you all succeed together but you'll create friendships for life.

TLDR I was able to land 5 software engineer job offers from mid to large companies after 7 weeks of actively looking. I'm very happy where I am and excited about the future. My advice to anyone reading this is don't be complacent. If your current path is not uphill then you are going the wrong way. This program is a killer hill, approach with caution but the view from on top is rewarding.

• Ronny Woods • Software Engineer • Graduate

I was impressed with Hack Reactor from the very beginning of the enrollment process, which was pretty rigorous.  They clearly spend a lot of time and effort to make sure that each cohort is filled with highly capable people, and it shows.  I was impressed by the pace we were able to keep, and I learned a ton from working with a really interesting and talented group of people.  I was in the remote program, where cohort size was around 20 people; I thought this was just the right amount to ensure we were able to build a strong community and each receive the proper support from one another and from the staff.

No major complaints about the program...it isn't cheap, but I think a worthwhile investment if you're looking to 'up-skill' very, very quickly and you have the means to make the investment (of time and money).

• Cole Michaels • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor, I feel, best models the real world of Software Engineering because you are thrown in and left to largely fend for yourself. This shouldn’t come as a discouragement to those on the fence - I believe many I see in Software and my own abilities are always best improved with little interference. Although during my time at Hack Reactor we worked only in JavaScript, the focus of the curriculum is put on how a program is structured, the idea behind writing quality code as opposed to being focused on how to write specific code in a specific language. You will be able to take patterns and models learned from this course and break into any direction you desire with enough curiosity and conscientiousness.

• Steven Michael Turnbull • Software Engineer • Graduate

Pros -
    You learn a lot in a short amount of time.
    You are a part of another family that you bond with and rely on.
    Mentors love working there and want to see you succeed.

Cons -
    I can't say anything bad about my experience at Hack Reactor. It provided the perfect knowledge to become a Software Engineer

• James Verch • Software Development Engineer • Student

I have been at Hack Reactor both as a student and as a staff (Hacker in Residence), and after having seen the program from multiple angles, I can confidently say that this is a fantastic place to become a software engineer.

As a student, I had an incredible experience. The curriculum is fantastic. It's very obvious that a large amount of thought and effort went into the lectures and assignments, and the program even uses learning techniques found in teaching literature (i.e. spaced repetition and allowing students to struggle with problems rather than giving answers). Also, the Hack Reactor culture and community is amazing, which made it very easy to meet new people to network with, study with, and even become friends with.

As a staff, I was always blown away by how much everyone cared. They were there with the intention of helping people become software engineers, and would go above and beyond to try and make that happen. They don't work at Hack Reactor because it's a job, they work there because they want to make a difference in people's lives.

I was also there during the transition to Hack Reactor @ Galvanize, having been there both at the old building and the new one at 44 Tehama. There were a few bumps during the transition (lots of stuff had to be moved, furniture had to be rearranged, etc.), but at the end of it all, things turned out great! Galvanize provides lots of opportunities to network with people (there are lots of hosted events, and people working there who are from outside Hack Reactor). Also, Galvanize has a lot more amenities than the old Hack Reactor building, which makes it nice to spend time here as a student and also afterwards, during the job search.

I would highly recommend Hack Reactor to anyone who wants to get into software engineering.