hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (278) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (55) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationDenver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, New York City, Los Angeles, Austin, San Francisco, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    DepositAfter you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies like SkillsFund and Climb Credit that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Tuition PlansFinancing options are available.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    Scholarship$1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Prep WorkHack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Tuition PlansApplicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo

• Aprianto Wiwarsono • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

My decision to attend Hack Reactor was something that I would gladly make again. It prepared me really well to start contributing to my new role as a Software Engineer. The programme itself wasn't easy. It doesn't spoonfeed you if that's what you are looking for. The path is prepared, and it is entirely up to you to work hard and be successful. One thing that made it easier for me is that the mentors and coordinators are all very approachable and always motivating.

Now that you have decided to attend Hack Reactor make sure that you are prepared for it. Be comfortable with JavaScript and general programming at least. Practice some coding challenges, which you can find online through Leetcode, Codewars, etc. If you have more time to prepare, try to look at some framework or tools that you are interested in. Also, be very sure that you can commit 3 months of your life to Hack Reactor. The last thing you want is to start HR and have to do something else.

Hopefully, I managed to convince you to attend Hack Reactor. If you want to know more or have a specific question, feel free to reach out to me.

• Patrick • Student

I'll preface by saying Hack Reactor is not for the faint of heart. I truly believe anyone can do it - but not everybody will. Some people will not have the right attitude, drive, and determination to do what needs to be done to complete the program successfully.  That being said, if you decide you want to do it and that there's nothing that can stop you, nothing will.

I did Hack Reactor after investigating a bunch of bootcamps.  I decided on Hack Reactor due to their focus on people as whole software engineers instead of just as coders. I am more than happy with my decision. I was hired on as a TA after the program. During my time at Hack Reactor I've watched the curriculum grow in ways other bootcamps have not. It is really the best program available.

The only advice I'd give my younger pre-Hack Reactor self is do more studying before the program. Take some only CS classes from Harvard, MIT, or Stanford (they're all available online for free). Get a better solid foundation on which to build your CS knowledge. Other than that, I wouldn't have done anything differently.

• Tyler • Graduate

When I first heard about Hack Reactor, I was skeptical of how a 3 month program could actually help land me a career in software engineering. But now having gone through the program, I can say that it has helped me reach my goals.

The thing with Hack Reactor is that it gives back to you exactly the effort that you put into it. It provides you with amazing mentors which are the cornerstone of the success of the program. Without them, the program would not be as successful.

The curriculum is excellent as well. Without the tech mentor, you could have found other decent resources online, but the guidance from the dedicated staff makes an incredible difference. Along with that, the skills you develop socially when working with the counselor help to develop what you need to succeed at the interview and on the job.

The main draw of what you are paying for is a well designed curriculum, strong peers, mentors who care and the ability to market yourself in interviews.

• A Miller • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor at the SF campus from October 2017 - Jan 2018, and my overall experience was extremely positive. I got a full-time position ~2 months after graduating as a Software Engineer at a tech company in the Bay Area.

PROS: HR will teach you what you need to know to A) get a job in Software Engineering, and B) actually do the job in Software Engineering. The curriculum was great - I was impressed that just about everything we were taught helped me on the job search / is helping me perform at a high level at my job. The first half of the course is built on teaching the fundamentals of web development/JavaScript and various front-end frameworks/backend technologies, and the second half is multiple group projects to get real experience utilizing those skills you learned in the first half (and also build out your portfolio for your GitHub/resume, which is a must-have for the job search). The staff/teachers are constantly adjusting the curriculum based on what the job market is looking for (including swapping in some of the latest frameworks), and the recent (Fall 2017) rework of the final project was extremely instrumental in me getting a job. Short summary of that project - it focused on building out a copy of the backend of a large app (my group chose Instagram), and utilizing a lot of modern technologies/methodologies to scale and deploy it. Being able to talk in-depth about database optimization techniques, horizontally/vertically scaling applications, properly implementing things like a cache and message bus/job queue, and Dockerizing and deploying my app to AWS was absolutely how I gained traction in the job search (and ultimately land a job in this field). Finally, my favorite part was the people - I moved to SF from across the country, not knowing anyone in the city....but through my time at HR I met some awesome people, and I have some extremely close friends (some students, some staff!) because of it. If you want to get 30 new friends in 3 months, then do a coding bootcamp.

CONS: The pace is very fast, and it's pretty hard too. The reason they have such fantastic job placement/salary stats and are regarded as one of the elite bootcamps (it's hard to believe, but you actually will make $100K+ when you graduate) is because learning this material in just 90 days is HARD. I put in the time required to study for the admissions exam as well as the material HR requires you to study during the 5 weeks immediately before you start...but I still struggled at times during the course, and I frequently found myself wishing I had studied a little harder before the program started. Be prepared to put in 60 hrs/week throughout the entire course; because I was scared of falling behind, I actually put in 80 hrs/week during the first half. There isn't room in the program to slack off and definitely not enough room to work part-time. It's totally worth it in the end, but if you're not prepared to give it your 100% focus then it will be frustrating and will lead to a much more difficult time during the job search.

• Jacob Sklar • Graduate

I made the switch to software engineering from law. I was starting from scratch with no technical expertise at all. Through my research I concluded that Hack Reactor was the best coding school available, and I went to their website to figure out the steps I needed to take to get up to speed and start the immersive. By closely following the free material from Hack Reactor's website, I was quickly able to get to where I needed to be to pass the admissions interview. Given how much I learned from Hack Reactor's free content, it was an easy decision for me to accept the offer.

After completing a rigorous precourse, I arrived at Hack Reactor ready to start drinking from the firehose. Through lectures, algorithm and data structures problems, and a lot of pair programming, I was able to learn how to be an autonomous full-stack software engineer. I wasn't just exposed to the latest tech, I was put through a process that taught me how to solve problems and get up to speed on any new technology. I was also given the chance to build out my portfolio and develop my teammwork skills by creating complex applications with my fellow students. I learned how to develop using agile principles and the scrum methodology.

In addition to learning how to be a software engineer, Hack Reactor gave me support for my job search, allowing me to land multiple offers within three months of leaving the immersive. I was given help with my resume, advice on preparing for interviews, and support from actual human beings. This support extended beyond graduation to ensure that my job search went as smoothly as possible. I would strongly reccomment Hack Reactor to anyone passionate about becoming a software engineer and willing to put in the effort to make it happen.

• Johnathan Cao • Software Engineer • Graduate

For me, Hack Reactor was worth every penny of tuition. It is a wonderful program with an incredibly well-designed curriculum. I was previously working in corporate finance and earning six figures, so this was not a decision I took lightly. I am now working as a software engineer at a major telecommunications company, writing code to deliver video content (and working in Golang to boot!).

I was worried about the pay cut I’d take to start over in a new industry, as I have earned my MBA and was making salary in line with my credentials. The pay cut ended up being only 10% and my skills are far ahead of the <1 year engineers with whom I am competing. Factor in that I had a reduction in working hours of 25+%, I’d say I came out ahead on a net basis (yes, we only work 40 hours a week!!!).

If you’re on the fence, there are two things that you need to think long and hard about:

1) Is this the career that I want?

— Learn to code and see if you enjoy it. The curriculum (and career that follows school) will be rigorous and challenging. If you’re doing it just for the money, you will struggle (this is why I left finance in the first place). I used to compete in computer science competitions in high school and really loved solving these types of problems; that’s how I knew this is the career path upon which I wanted to embark.

2) Am I willing to put in the time and effort?

— Like many other things in life, you will get out what you put in. One of my primary reasons for choosing Hack Reactor was the rigor of the curriculum. And it did not disappoint. The program is short relative to traditional higher education, but it will consume your life for the duration. That’s what it takes if you want to be the best!! We were in class for 60+ hours per week and I studied an additional 15 hours per week on my own outside of class. My stance was that if I am quitting a high paying job to do this, I want to maximize my learning so that I can improve my starting salary.

In addition to coding, Hack Reactor also does a great job with building soft skills. You’ll spend the entire program learning how to code as part of a team. There’s also practice with speaking and giving presentations. The staff provides a great support network that you can go to when you’re feeling stressed.

Here’s a bonus: one of my classmates had actually attended another boot camp (I won’t say who) and ended up attending Hack Reactor because he wasn’t satisfied with the education he got at the other camp. His problem with the other camp was that they went too wide — covered many languages and concepts, but became experts at none. Hack Reactor focuses on using JavaScript to drive just about everything so that you can learn those deeper concepts and take them with you to other languages. I credit this as one of the key reasons that I was able to land a job where the primarily language is one that I have never touched before!!

After graduation, I met with my team and career services on a weekly basis. Hack Reactor does a great job at giving you the tools and at providing the support you need post-graduation to land that first job. I was able to lean on career services for plenty of help with mock interviews, white boarding practice, and salary negotiation strategies. My team helped me identify opportunities for networking events. Additionally there’s a very active and vibrant Hack Reactor Alumni Slack channel, where people are always talking about career advice, who’s hiring, new technologies, and a multitude of other topics!

• Grant Spilsbury • Graduate

Hack Reactor is what you make of it... but they give you all the tools and support to make it great.

There are many ways to get a job as a software engineer: one of the quickest is through Hack Reactor. I had previous coding experience (sans Javascript). Hack Reactor got me up to speed with current best practices, latest coding techniques, dramatically improved my soft skills (being able to talk code one on one or in groups), and helped me put together my javascript portfolio.

I'm based in Australia and got really lucky and landed a mid-level Frontend Engineering job with an international company during the last week of Hack Reactor. But not everyone is so lucky. You must understand that they don't hand you a job. You have to take what you've learned during the course and bash down doors until someone hires you. The course is the "easy" part.

• Kate • Front End Engineer • Graduate

I am 100% happy that I chose to study at Hack Reactor. 10/10 with rice would do again.

I did the full-time remote program. I have a BFA and was a bartender before I started. I did a lot of self study, built some apps on my own, and was rejected once before attending.

My knowledge and understanding of Javascript, frameworks, and full stack development increased in a way I couldn't have replicated on my own in the same amount of time. The soft skills that you learn here are also extremely invaluable and it's what set me apart from others while searching for a job afterwards.

It was extremely hard, probably the most demanding 3 months of my life, but Hack Reactor taught me how to learn on my own, which has proven useful since my first day at my new job I was using PHP.

Advice: apply for the scholarship, and make time to take care of yourself while you are in the program.

• Antonio Caporicci • Software Engineer • Graduate

As a former public school teacher I was skeptical of the overall Bootcamp Experience.  The fees seemed exorbitant, and the promises of employment appeared out of line with my own perceptions of the job market.  After reading reviews and shopping around town I realized that Hack Reactor wasn’t offering what most bootcamps were,  they were providing an environment that allows people to push themselves to learn more than they thought possible. Even the entrance process was far more rigorous than what most bootcamps covered in the first part of their programs.  After taking the tour and talking to some alumni I decided that I would take the plunge, and I am truly thankful that I was able to be apart of this transformative program.

From the first day it was evident that the entire staff valued my experience.  The rigors of the curriculum proved to be an immense challenge, but one that I was never alone in.  All of the staff is incredibly supportive, and I was surrounded by the most inspirational group of peers I have ever met.

The curriculum is constantly evolving, and Hack Reactor provides the most up to date skills employers are looking for.  Most importantly though, they allow you to explore and experience the autonomy that will be needed day to day on the job.  During the first week, there was a lecture on the importance of the adopting the “Growth Mindset,” and  I can’t think of a more appropriate analogy for the overall experience of attending Hack Reactor.  If you show up every day with an open mind, work really hard, and push past minor setbacks along the way, you will come out the other end employable as a software engineer.

A year ago I decided to pursue a career software because I was looking for a challenging, yet rewarding skillset, a good work/life balance, and a comfortable salary.  Hack Reactor has provided me with all of the tools I needed to make that happen, and I can’t recommend them enough!

• Philip M • Software Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor (LA campus for me) was an excellent experience that I would recommend to anyone looking into coding bootcamps. I was very hesitant to do it at first because of the price and uncertainty, but I do not regret it at all. The course material was designed in such a way to teach us problem solving and autonomy as much as the technical skills to be full-stack JS developers. The instructors and staff were also top-notch and were helpful every step of the way. They are notably great at listening to feedback and are constantly improving as they get suggestions from students and industry experts. The work is tough and the days are long, but it was all worth it in the end.

• Hank Bowen • Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor May - July 2017, and can confidently say that it was  among the best personal and professional decisions I have made in my life. Not only does the program truly prepare you for a field in web development and software engineering, but the staff are also incredibly helpful and invested in your success. The curriculum is challenging but fun, and pushes students to learn autonomously in a supportive environment. I also had the incredible opportunity to stay on for 3 months after completing the program as a "Hacker in Residence", which is probably best described as a TA. The experience gave me the opportunity to fortify my skills and act as a mentor for students completing the course. I found that having recent students in this kind of role helped build my confidence, both as a student and as a graduate entering the market place. After completing my residency as an HiR, I landed a great job in Austin after about a 2 month search.

In addition to great material and structure throughout the program, after graduation you have access to dedicated career services who will support and coach you through the job search. I would highly recommend Hack Reactor to anyone interested in a career in tech, especially if you have no prior background.

• John Packel • Hard Core Decentralization Developer • Graduate

During my 20+ years in technology as an entrepreneur, product developer and marketer - much of it working with developers - I often wondered what was going on under the hood in the products and services I was creating and selling.

After 9 years at American Express, and having become obsessed with cryptocurrencies and the emerging blockchain ecosystem since discovering it in 2013, I left in July 2016 to add software engineering to my skillset and hopefully gain an ability to begin to understand technologies like Bitcoin on a deeper, technical level.

Hack Reactor was the perfect choice for me, and I wrote about the my initial 5 weeks in the program in this blog post: Wrestling with a New Paradigm and Relishing the “Obstacle As the Way”
    Coding bootcamps bring tremendous value — to both employers and a U.S. workforce in need of serious retooling

Fast forward a year and I'm in my dream job at ConsenSys, combining my product development experience with my new full-stack dev skills to create the MVP for a decentralized loyalty platform inspired by the local currency movement (I architected the app and am coding much of the back end), Localties.io.

I highly recommend adding software engineering to your skillset, I fully endorse Hack Reactor and their approach to achieving measurable results through data-driven real-time iterations based on weekly student feedback and the skills employers are currently demanding, and I'm happy to speak with anyone seriously considering a bootcamp.

• Timothy Roy • Software Engineer • Graduate

I'd taught myself web development and had been doing it for a bit before coming to Hack Reactor, and had also done several courses on algorithms.

In fact, partway through the first half of the course, I noticed that I already knew all the concepts being taught. Should I keep going?

I did keep going, and that was a great decision. Even though I had more experience than the usual person who attends Hack Reactor, I gained the three benefits I hoped for.

First, in-depth JavaScript. Hack Reactor isn't really a 0-60 program, more of a 20-120. While many JavaScript engineers have a somewhat superficial understanding of the language, Hack Reactor grads really, really know it. JavaScript has libraries for every programming concept you can think of, and being very comfortable with several different versions of the language unlocks all those libraries.

Second, experience collaborating with other engineers using industry-standard Agile techniques. This approach is built into the curriculum, and then you build it in to your team's projects during the second half of the course. You have the opportunity to use tools like ZenHub or Waffle to drive and coordinate your development.

Third, a great portfolio. Using a great tech stack, my team and I built slick-looking applications in only a few weeks. When I applied for positions, both the app and the code really impressed people.

Many of my fellow students at Hack Reactor had no prior experience, but with hard work they were able to gain impressive skills. Some students have computer science degrees and come for coding experience. Some, like me, have a bit of prior experience and come to round it out and build a portfolio. That portfolio really works!

I thought the entire course was very well structured and targeted to provide maximum value and learning, and you build a great sense of community with your fellow Hack Reactors, which turns into a great network after you graduate. I also thought the career advice and resume preparation was very professional and well-done.

If you come, be sure to sleep and take time off. Some cohorts are especially motivated and it can be easy not to stop. Personally, I've noticed that students who never take a break actually have a tougher time. Give your brain a chance to put it all together