galvanize-logo

Galvanize

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Denver, Fort Collins, London, Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle

Galvanize

Galvanize offers a 13-week full-time and a 26-week part-time data science bootcamp, as well as Hack Reactor's 12-week JavaScript coding bootcamp in Austin, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City. The data science bootcamp covers Python, SQL, and Hadoop. The software engineering bootcamp covers full stack JavaScript including AngulaJS, Node.js, and Express.js.

Candidates are advised to submit their applications 6 weeks before the course start date to leave enough time to complete the admissions process. For the Data Science Immersive, students should ideally have experience in Python programming, math, statistics, and probability, and must complete a technical exercise, and two technical interviews. For the Software Engineering Immersive, students must learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as part of the admissions process prep work, and show admissions staff that they can solve problems like an engineer through a technical interview.

By integrating education and industry, Galvanize puts learning and working side by side. Galvanize aims to teach students the skills and concepts they need to make an impact in a new career, or improve their skills at their current gig. As well as immersive bootcamps, Galvanize also offers short courses, workshops, and events.

Recent Galvanize Reviews: Rating 4.49

all (176) reviews for Galvanize →

Recent Galvanize News

Read all (70) articles about Galvanize →
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Python, SQL
    Phoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    In just 13 weeks, you'll learn the tools, techniques, and fundamental concepts you need to know to make an impact as a data scientist. During the course of the program, you'll work through messy, real-world data sets to gain experience across the data science stack: data munging, exploration, modeling, validation, visualization, and communication.
    We partner with Climb and Skills Fund for students who need help financing their tuition.
    Yes, we work with lending partners.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Yes, as per contract
    We offer scholarships based on merit, demonstrated financial need, and increasing participation in technology among underrepresented groups such as women, veterans, minorities, and people who identify as LGBT.
    Prior experience in coding Python, math & stats is needed.
    Take Home Technical on Python & Stats challenges
  • Python Fundamentals

Data Science, Python
    Denver, Phoenix, Austin, Seattle, Boulder
    Python Fundamentals covers the building blocks of Python, including the basic programming skills individuals within the tech field use every day. Python can be applied in a variety of fields including data science. With the number of job postings featuring Python steadily growing, there is no better time to learn this versatile language.
    Refund / Guarantee
    100% of your tuition for this part-time course will be applied as a discount to our Data Science Immersive.
    Desire to learn.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, SQL, CSS, React.js, Front End
    Phoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    Our Software Engineering Immersive bootcamp goes beyond teaching the most in-demand technologies. Teaching Hack Reactor’s rigorous industry-tested software engineering curriculum, our bootcamp emphasizes soft skills and brings together cutting-edge tech like React, ES6 and blockchain with computer science fundamentals. After completing this program, you’ll be prepared to understand new tech languages, libraries and frameworks.
    We partner Climb and Skills Fund for students who need help financing their tuition.
    Yes, we work with lending partners.
    Advanced Beginner

• Anonymous • data scientist • Graduate

I finished my Galvanize DSI program during the first half of 2016.   Others have already commented extensive on the methodology they use to cram about 1 year's worth material into 3 months.   I will only say that I don't think this is a very effective or even efficient way of teaching/learning because it is difficult to retain anything when things go so fast (even though the intructors are generally good).   What I want to focus here is the post-graduation job hunt.

More than 6 months after graduation, out of my cohort of about 20 students, 4 are still looking for work and 2 went back to their old job that is unrelated to data-science.   Galvanize still galantly touts their 91%  placement rate, which came from 2014-15 statistics.   I know they have the statistics for 2015-16, because they have surveyed me and everyone else.   I wonder why they are still using the old statistics.

I have noticed that my peers that are still looking for work tend to be younger or fresh out of college, whereas the ones who found jobs tend to have had some experience and even PhD, albeit in another STEM field.   The industry seems to prefer to hire those with experience, even if it was not in data science.  I think that is misguided, because my observation was that the younger classmates tended pick things up faster and are better at coding.  However, it is what it is, so I am just sharing this as a caution to those new college grads who see this as a quick stepping stone into a data science career.  You might be better off staying in college for another year if your tuition is < $16k.   You will probably learn things better at a more reasonable pace.

Before graduation day, the career staff showed us a list of employers who were scheduled to come and interview us.  This list included big names like Uber, Salesforce, Facebook, McKesson.  However, the only companies that actually showed were small start-ups that no one has ever heard of.   Still, some of us did get hired by these start-ups (including me).  My advice to those applying is to ask Galvanize specifically for a list of *all* the campanies where its graduates have found jobs (they surveyed us and so they have this info!).  Don't be satisifed by their cherry-picked list.   On the other hand, I have to say also that I am working in a start up that no one has ever heard of and I am very happy, so don't just focus on the sexy, big names.

Finally, I have to say that I got great counseling from Michelle Lai on job hunting.   She went beyond the regular resume writing and interview skills.   She explained to me how stock options work in a start-up and how to negogiate for what I wanted.  Unfortunately, she literally left with a week or two of me finding a job.  I hope they have found a worthy replacement for her.

In summary, I am using the skills I learned at Galvanize every day as a data scientist in a start-up, so the program is legitimate.  A clear majority of my cahort did find jobs in data science, albeit it is nowhere near 91%.   At the end, I think Galvanize paints an overly rosy picture of the job prospects for their graduates. You not only have to possess (or learn) the right job-hunting skills, but you also need to have the right kind of experience that employers want.  I don't think their program is for everybody who qualifies for it.

I came into Galvanize with two years of work experience in biostatistics research under my belt, wanting to launch a career as a data scientist. I couldn't be happier with my choice! You need to be prepared to work hard each and every day, but the rewards are tremendous: I feel like I learned more in these three months than I would a year in college. There's a few main things I want to point out.

First, not only will you learn a lot about data science, but you will learn how to learn, and how to learn at an accelerated rate. This means that afterwards, you will feel much more comfortable teaching yourself about a topic that you currently might not know anything about, which is an invaluable skill.

Second, people in the program come from a variety of backgrounds, which means that you can learn a lot not only from your instructors, but also from your classmates. So any area that you are weak in, it’s likely that someone else is stronger in, and you can use them as a resource. Likewise, you will have the opportunity to help others based on your strengths.

My final point is that Galvanize teaches you not only how to use data science algorithms, but how they work. So, what you learn is more than surface-deep, and this gives me great confidence going forward on my job search, since I’ll actually be able to explain the algorithms to potential employers.

I highly encourage anyone interested in pursuing a career in data science to apply!

• Anonymous • UI Engineer • Graduate

I was a student in the Galvanize Full-Stack Web development program in 2015. I really enjoyed attending this program and felt extremely privileged to get in. It was an incredible learning environment that fostered intense sense of community and facilitated an amazing level of learning.  So those are some of those pros!

Now on to some other pros...the breadth and depth of topics that are covered in this program is incredible. It is extremely intense but highly rewarding. Probably the best educational experience I have ever had. I have attended undergrad and grad school and this was very similar in my estimation to my grad school experience. You had to manage your own time wisely and apply yourself. They provided lots of resources, lots of exercises lots, lots of direct 1:1 support, projects, experientials, mentorships...tons and tons of things. They also covered the latest technologies at the time. They provide alumni workshops after you graduate that are essential in my experience of getting hired. I think the best thing about Galvanize was not the curriculum or format as much as it was the quality of people there. They are invested earnestly in you. You form real relationships that are the foundation of everything you learn. They also are committed to building a learning community, I learned just as much from the others in my cohort as I did the instructors. I can only speak to my instructors, but they were all incredibly gifted and wonderful people. You also have to recognize quickly that everyone brings different skill levels to the table at the beginning. Comparing yourself to your cohort colleagues is not helpful. You must compete against yourself. Everyone brought value to the learning process. Some of these people have become some of my best friends. Everybody in my cohort had a job within 6 months.

So now to cons, the cost is high. You cannot really have a traditional job while doing this either, it is a full-time 40-60 hr/week job. You also will not see your family much during this program. The pace and intensity are incredibly high. You do get more out of it the more you do and the more you immerse yourself in the development world. I would say another con was that during my time there, there seemed to be continually modifying the curriculum and changing it. Alas, this is very much akin to the world of software development so it might be a pro also. Keeps you limber and flexible and adaptive.  At times, disputes occurred with colleagues during group projects, but this was good practice for having "fierce conversations" that are necessary in the real world. It was definitely frustrating at points, but that is bound to happen when so much is being thrown at you. It is hard! But highly rewarding. It was worth so much more to my life and my family's future than the dollar cost. I would attend again in a heartbeat.

• Anonymous • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate

I completed the course and got a job despite Galvanize's management doing their damnedest to ruin our learning experience. During the course they removed an instructor from our classroom because they decided to start another cohort while not having the staff for it and needed to take one of our's. They brought in a manager to talk to our class about this but she talked down to us as if we were children instead of adults who had invested $21K each in this course. They scheduled construction right outside of our classroom to begin in the middle of the course. Luckily, that got delayed until after we graduated but it did not appear to be because of our concerns. The two very well qualified and brilliant instructors we had are no longer with the program and Galvanize had to hire and then fire one instructor because they were so desperate for an instructor that they hired a sexist fellow who had learned skills from online tutorials. This showed a complete lack of respect for students as we are investing a great deal of time and money into this program but they could not properly vet and hire a competent instructor.  As for the Outcomes Coordinator, he is more interested in ping pong than helping someone get a job. You want a job? Get it yourself. He didn't seem invested in our futures. The most I heard from him was when he wanted my starting salary so he could report that back with his numbers. Honestly, management here is a dumpster fire.

Besides that all, the instructors I did have were AMAZING. They were all brilliant individuals with diverse work experiences which, sadly, management didn't seem to celebrate. I feel like my fellow students and I came away with a great set of skills and were found to be immediately hirable by many amazing companies. It is what you make of it, and I saw it important to work from 8AM to 2AM daily to make sure I got everything I could out of this program.

While my experience had a happy ending, my concerns about the current state of Galvanize Seattle are too great and I would not recommend it to anyone.

My experience at Galvanize Seattle has been a kind of perfect storm (in a good way): the instructors and curriculum were great, my cohort was super friendly and supportive, and I got a job at a company in the Galvanize building! And my experience isn't even unique. But to be realistic, it's not guaranteed either. Probably the only thing you can count on is getting a good education, and even that is largely up to you. You have to do the work (but don't be afraid to ask for help). You have no control over who will be in your cohort, though the fact that you've all chosen the same program means you have something big in common. The job search can be difficult. Galvanize will help, but ultimately it's up to you to find a job.

• Mixed Feelings
    - 12/14/2016
    Anonymous • Developer • Graduate

Galvanize has a lot of great attributes but also some disorganization and inconsistency. What sets one class apart from another is the teachers and the way the curriculum is planned out. Although my instructors had the best intentions, they didn't have the best resources and were not clear about requirements. We were never quite sure when something was due or if it was due at all and our work was rarely evaluated which made it difficult to know where we stood throughout the program. Galvanize prides itself as a learning environment that is constantly adapting. I understand for every cohort it's a learning process but there are some aspects that need to be appropriately defined, especially when your students are paying 21k to learn a new skill.

One of my biggest gripes was with the administration. If a student had concerns, galvanize made it very clear that they're there to help. When it comes down to it, your concerns are often disregarded. They don't seem to communicate with one another and when the ball gets dropped they do a lot of blaming of everything and everyone but themselves which hurts no one but the student.

Although my experience wasn't perfect, I still met a lot of great people and gained some valuable skills. My biggest regret is not asking enough questions. My advice to prospective and current students is to make any concerns clear to administration and teachers, document them, and if need be, keep going higher until your problems get resolved. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

• Anonymous • Applicant

I haven't even taken my class here yet and I'm already dreading it.

-They're in it for the money. They were nice to me until I paid for my class and now I don't hear back from them ever.

-Anyone you talk to will give you a different answer. Good luck trying to get clear info

-They took a month to respond to my email asking about a class.

-Once they realized I was younger and a full time college student they weren't nice to me any more.

I wish I could have my money back but they never responded to that email either so I guess I'm stuck with these people.

I loved the program and feel that I got a lot out of it. To get out of the "hobbyist" stage of learning data science, you need an immersive experience that will push you and keep you somewhat overwhelmed, taught by instructors who are experts in their fields and want you to succeed. The Galvanize DSI program does all those things extremely well.

• Anonymous • Front-End Developer • Graduate

I attended Galvanize's web development immersive program (formerly known as full-stack immersive) from April 2016 to September 2016. The program is divided into 6-week quarters, which can be summarized this way:

1st quarter: front-end, focusing on JavaScript fundamentals, HTML, and CSS.

2nd quarter: back-end, focusing on Node, Express, Postgres, server-side templating.

3rd quarter: data structures and algorithms, and practice with learning a new language in a short amount of time (for our cohort, we learned Python in 2 weeks).

4th quarter: front-end frameworks. We covered Angular but future cohorts may end up learning React. Instructors will also spend a lot of time this quarter preparing you for interviews and helping with the job search in general.

I would say the best part of Galvanize is the instructors. They were passionate about what they were teaching. They wanted every student to succeed. And they were fun.

I would say the curriculum could use improvement. Things slow down during the 4th quarter compared to the previous three quarters. To be fair, this is by design. Students are encouraged to spend the extra time to explore their own interests, which they can then share with everyone else in the form of a final capstone project. If you aren't self-motivated, you may end up getting complacent towards the end when the curriculum structure loosens up. On the plus side, the instructors have a wide breadth of knowledge and interests, so they will surely be able to advise you no matter what you choose to pursue, whether that be AI, IoT, language processing, etc.

If you are considering Galvanize's web development program, I highly recommend you to commit, but with the following caveats. As a recent graduate, my suggestion to you is to be highly motivated and be ready to work extremely hard for the duration of the program. It will definitely pay off. Do NOT attend if you aren't serious because you will end up wasting a lot of money and your own time. Should you get accepted to Galvanize and decide you want to join them, I recommend that you spend at least 3 hours a day learning JavaScript during the month leading up to the start date. Good luck!

• Awesome experience
    - 10/20/2016

Great experience, very valuable and practical curriculum, experienced instructors who love what they do. If you're interested in programming I highly recommend Galvanize.

• Anonymous • Developer Evangelist

"The curriculum does not matter. Your experience is dependent on the instructors"

- Michael Herman

Michael mentored me while I was still a student at Galvanize in the g8 cohort. This was before Galvanize hired him. After he was hired as the lead instructor for the g11 cohort he still mentored me and a number of other students in my cohort because g8's lead instructor was awful. I am not going to go into the minute details since he no longer works for Galvanize, but he rarely showed and when he did he hardly did any teaching.

Michael gave me my first paying freelance job and introduced me to the company that I now work at. He is the sole reason why I am a developer now, and he did not even teach me. Even though he has assured me that Galvanize is better at hiring instructors now, I urge you to only request his next cohort.

Do your homework before you attend any bootcamp!

Research the instructors. Find out who they are. Ask them why they are teaching. Visit a class and pay attention to the interaction between students and instructors. Ask the students how they are doing and what they are learning.

Galvanize gets 1/5. Michael gets 5/5.

The time in the data science immersive was probably the most invigoring time of life

The instructor are very knowledgeable and know most use cases in a real job environment. We were taksed to do pair programming so you not only learned but got experienced and fluent in the topics learned. One area of improvement I'll say is we could learn more about the connection between linear algebra and certain techniques we're using. However, considering the width of  knowledge in data science and limited amount of time, they were already doing a great job and were knolwedged about the topics if you pick their brain.

The "outcome" team were extremely helpful in every aspect of your job placement. From resume building, connection to placement and interview practice, they sort of guide you step by step and constantly having 1 on 1 times. This is an aspect of the program that I did not expect to learn and I think could be useful for the rest of my life.

Overall, if you're not treating this program as just another job training for higher salary but an introduction to your new passion, it worth every pennies.

• Data Science SF
    - 7/29/2016

The heavily advertised (self reported) stats are not reflective of the current course or hiring environment. In 2016, it will take you 3+ months to land a job coming out of the program and a sizeable portion (think 30-50%) of your classmates will not have any job after 6 months.

The program has been myopically focused on generating more revenue (students), and devotes the bare minimum of resources to graduates. The core product of the program (getting someone a job) was never well developed, but because of Macro trends (Hot Tech Market and Data Science Buzz) this went unattended. Now the tide has gone out and this program is swimming naked.  Check your expectations … you won’t be hired by a prestigious company, have a strong brand or alumni community.

“Bad outcomes” as they are affectionately known, just don’t write posts like this – they still need the alleged connections and support of the program to get a job! The indifference the school has shown them has been shameful and prospective students deserve to know what they are getting into.

tldr: Galvanize is one of the better programs, it does a good job on the curriculum, but this model of education is still under development. Enroll in any Bootcamp at your own peril.

To management;

There is a lack of Leadership, Vision and Passion in SF, you can tell the CEO works in another state.  Stop reading your own press releases about the future of education, and fix your product…  Reduce # of students going through the program, & focus on outcomes

• Anonymous • Data Scientist • Graduate

The data science immersive program at galvanize was life changing and the best decision I ever made. I would not be in my current job or position in life without it. That said, you must have a solid background and be willing to push yourself to make the jump, and I may not recommend it to everyone. What follows is my story and some thoughts and recommendations.

Brief history

I was an electrical engineer working in product marketing. I was very comfortable coding in Python with a strong background in math and linear algebra. Through MOOCs, I'd also studied data science and machine learning at a preliminary level. After galvanize, I completed a one year statistics masters, during which I was hired as a data scientist at a tech startup in SF the summer after graduation. My entire job hunt from first application to signed offer took just over one month.

What to expect

Expect to spend your entire life (for three months) committed to learning this stuff. You will be pushed and it will be hard. It won't always be fun but the end result will be amazing and worth it. This program moves fast! Do all the prelimary assignments and pre-readings. Luckily me most, most topics were vaguely familiar. However, the days that were 100% brand new were rough. The program moves so quickly that you don't have time to review or learn slowly. This can snowball quickly for those with inadequate preparation.

The value

This program provides three key elements which are difficult (if not impossible) to find elsewhere. 1) great educational material. You don't just do projects, they teach you what you need to get into this field. 2) learn every tool. Data scientists use many tools and this program teaches you all the basics for the essential tools, which allows you master the ones you'll need later. 3) they'll teach you how to get a job. The whole point of all this is to land a great job as a data scientist and the program (and a strong network of alumi already working in the field) provides great resources for doing so.

Recommendation

Go into the program with a goal of what you want to get out of it. For me, I wanted to write professional quality Python code above all else. Hence, when I felt lost on a particular day I continued to improve my coding skills knowing I could review the material over the weekend or after the bootcamp. Decide beforehand where you want to be after the program, assess where your current abilities are, and pick the brains of your galvanize interviewers to make sure you can make the jump given what you currently know. For those that are ready, it's definitatly worth the time and money!

It really is all it's cracked up to be. Staff, facilities, instruction are all outstanding. It's every bit as tough as you would imagine it to be. If you get in - prepare! Check out treehouse, and do some javascript, angular and node tutorials udemy... it's a minor cost and will make your experience much better. Take David Malan's CS50 course to fill out your knowledge of computer science. Well worth the money and time.

• Anonymous • Data Scientist • Graduate
    Galvanize's DSI is a very well-formulated intensive course of study, which provides students with as much of a launch toward an entry data science position as could be hoped for in a 12-week course. The instructors are knowledgeable and dedicated. The materials/exercises are well thought-out, and are clearly the result of testing and refinement. Most of all, Galvanize's business model ensures alignment of the student's interests with those of the company, and it shows. Galvanize gets more students (and income) by promoting the hiring rates and initial salaries of their graduates. To keep those numbers high, they do all that is reasonable to ensure student outcomes: they teach well, focus on most of the important data science fundamentals, provide instructive exercises, guidance on resume writing, job hunting, networking and salary negotiation. During the course of lectures instructors call out those key ideas that are likely to be brought up in interview questions. After the course's conclusion, an outcomes manager tracks student's progress in the job hunt/interview process, and provides guidance as needed/requested. I would readily give this program 5 stars, but the reality for my cohort was that the program was new to Seattle, and local industry was insufficiently familiar with what Galvanize was all about. As the result of some mis-alignment of skill sets sought* by interviewers participating in Hiring Day, fewer graduates than usual for, say, San Francisco, were hired as the result of that event. Following much deliberate outreach by Galvanize/Seattle, it is my hope, and expectation, that by this time local companies have a much better idea of what to expect from graduates, and that many more of those looking for people with DSI skill sets will now be aware of and participating in the program. * (Many might have been more interested in students graduating from the Full Stack program, for example.)
  • Anonymous • Front End Developer • Student

Pro: Liz Howard and Tyler Bettilyon are phenomenal instructors and people. Both of them are inredibly techinically proficient, friendly, inviting, and helpful. Liz in particular became a personal mentor to me throughout the program, making herself readily available for 1-on-1's with me where we'd talk about coding, navigating the tech scene, or my goals. Matt Williams, who joined our course halfway down the line, was also a great instructor who brought a lot to the table and was just as friendly.
    Con: We had a total of 3 associate instructors leave in the middle of the course. While they were not aa crucial, it definitely felt weird. Also, I would have liked more accountability regarding finishing assignments. More often than not, assignments were given and eventaully reviewed but not followed up on whether or not we actually completed them.

Good: People have gone to great lengths about thisThey actively look at what they should/shouldn't be teaching  and update it accordingly.
    Con: Since they are always looking at ways to refine it, it is easy to feel short handed if the next cohort gets something added to the curriculum that you feel would have been beneficial for you to learn.

Job assistance:
    Pro: Amazing. Michelle is a champ. She took the time to get to know me and what my strengths were and referred me to partner companies with positions I was a good fit for. I work at a company she referred me to and absolutely love it.
    Con: Hiring day was a bust. I feel like a lot of the companies didn't know what they were coming to, some companies were there looking for android developers...? Not one person got hired or even interviewed by a company that came to our hiring day.

With all that being saidt, though I had some criticism to offer, the program was an incredible experience and two months after graduation am now employed as a developer in a company that I love working at. Deciding to apply to and attend Galvanize is arguably the most important decision I've made in my twenties. A potential issue I see in the future of Galvanize will be ensuring the quality of its instruction through out all of its campuses, which is now nearing ten total. Be sure to ask plenty of questions and even ask to meet with your areas instructors to talk bout the program. Best of luck!!!

• Galvanize SF
    - 6/24/2016

Having been through the program, this is what I can say about it:

1. The material is cursory and enough to get past some interviews, but is not enough to a) get past tough ones b) get a really good job or c) be any good at this job when you get it without prior experience. Prior experience means: PhD in math/stats/physics or MS in stats or 5-10 years software development. It's just not going to happen from the Galvanize material.

Suggestion: don't mislead students about standards and hiring quality. Be open that you have very few students who make it to Unicorns/FB/Google.

2. Like from one, know that the standards at Galvanize are low. Looooooow. Low admission standards, low standards for passing "tests", low standards for projects. This means that there is extreme variance in outcomes - some students end up with 5+ offers making 200K+, some with 1 after six months of searching at 80K. Admittance \neq success.

Suggestion for improvement: have higher standards OR push more folks towards the Masters program - make the immersive more selective.

3. The material is a bit outdated but the sprints are usually fun. Lots of typos.

Suggestion: have someone actually go through this material and fix typos. Make a single unified curriculum.

4. The "DSR" role is really a bit of a joke. They seem to sit on their computers all day. I wish they were trained better.

Suggestion: you don't need to many of these people. And train them better.

5. The job assistance is very strong, but they have 2 (!! ) people for hundreds of students. Sad! They should double or triple the size of this team.

Suggestion: clone Michelle and Ghazal x3 :) Or just get more career folks. This is the single most valuable resource Galvanize offers many people. Know that.

6. Instructors are generally fine, but know that many of them have not worked as "real" data scientists or have for only a brief (~1 year) time period. I really like them and a few really stand out, but I wish they had more "on the job" experience overall. I mean, Zipfian was even founded by someone who never really worked as a data scientist. So what do you expect?

Suggestion: try to hire instructors who are data scientists. Or have more lectures by people who are actively working. Maybe have lectures in the evening or morning and have working people give a week of them, or something. People who use this stuff every day or the best suited to teach it, imo.

7. I haven't started my job yet, but I worry that Galvanize did not prepare me to be in a "coding" environment. I wish the challenges were more like things we'd actually do on the job than Kaggle competitions.

8. There is very little feedback on assignments. Like, nothing is graded or even assessed but the exams. What am I paying for if not assessment??

The feedback on case studies is also not great. Solutions presented that were called "great" would not get past the take home level for a company. (I know because I did the take home at several companies where we did mock take homes for. And didn't get through.)

9. Despite promises, there isn't a lot they do in terms of interview prep. Like you practice doing basic question etc., but for a course like this shouldn't they have a binder of questions other grads have received? Or have personalized feedback on practice take homes to learn what is actually being sought?

The resources here were extremely lacking and nothing that couldn't be found online with some Googling and $20.

tl;dr: In the long run, I don't think Galvanize really prepares you to get a good data science job, but it does serve as a useful credential for people who could get a ds job by just studying moocs etc. In that way, it's like Insight but without being elite and costing money. The connections made to companies are really useful, and it would be nice to have more of that. I think Galvanize would do well to make DSI more selective and push more people towards GU. Hiring instructors from industry would help. Having higher standards for sprints and case studies would help. Sharing examples of successul take homes for companies would help. Having a more unified set of practice interviews questions (which was promised and not delivered on) would help.

• Anonymous • data scientist

My training as an engineer and analyst was good but dated.  Galvanize positioned me to contribute for the next 20-25 years.  I accepted a job offer as a data scientist within a couple of months after finishing.

• Anonymous • Data Scientist • Graduate

Galvanize was an incredible experience. It seemed like a big risk, but it really paid off. The instructors were top notch PhD's from some of the biggest tech companies around. The curriculum is exhaustingly expansive​ and the job assistance is pretty good.

Depending on your past experience (PhD, Software enginer, recent grad) your job hunt could be wildly different than the rest of your cohort even if you have basically the same data science skillset. That being said, most people (from all backgrounds) I have seen go through the program (two cohorts) have landed awesome jobs, including me! It is a serious grind and Galvanize can only do so much, which is why I gave them 4 stars.

Overall, I think it was well worth it. I had a great experience during the program and got my dream job! Can't complain about that.

• Awesome course!!
    - 6/9/2016
    Anonymous • Data Scientist • Graduate

Extremely fulfilling experience. It was baller in more ways than I can count, and don't regret a single step of the journey. For anyone willing to make the committment, Galvanize will be a huge driver for your personal + professional growth...oh and becoming a Data Scientist.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Student

Galvanize Full Stack is a 24-week program teaches you how to make an impact as a contributing member of a development team. The program culminates on hiring day, where students meet potential employers, present projects, and show off everything they’ve learned.

Tyler and Liz of the galvanize SF web program are amazing instrutors, their dual-lecturing style of teaching really helped keep the topics intersting and entertaining. Both their personalities and knowlege base mesh extremely well together and helped me gain the knowlege I needed to be a successful software engineer in the industry out here in Silicon Valley.

Michelle Lai and the Galvanize's outcomes team did a fantastic job of working with me and other students post graduation to create iron-clad resumes, portfolio websites, be prepped for the entire interview process, and finally negotiate a competitive salary upon recieving an offer.

• Anonymous • Developer • Graduate

Galvanize is great. I'll toot my own horn a bit to let you know what is possible thanks to Galvanize's full stack program. Before the program, I had attempted to learn a bit of JS on my own for a few months. I hadn't gotten very far; I could wire up an html site to run simple javascript that animated this and that on a largely static site.

Fast forward to about a year and a half since graudation- I now write in four langauges to build and manage cloud infrastructure for multiple production applications responsible for scaling a growing company. I can move from SQL in the database to the server (Ruby, Golang, Apex, and Node) to the front end (React, Angular, Backbone, jQuery) with comfort and ease. I've started a small web business on the side with friends I met in the program. I have a job that requires I never stop learning that lets me solve problems and create new things everyday. It has been great.

The program itself requires students that are self-motivated and interested in technology. Your hand will not be held and you will expected to work hard. I understand the curriculum has improved since I graduated, however while I was there a third of the program was devoted to work on a capstone project. This means you'll struggle against problems wholly unique to what your project requires, which means you must learn how to solve problems on your own. It also meant that individual lessons lasted only about 4 months- they were incredible because our instructors were incredible; I understand they both have moved on to become CTOs of profitable companies.

At the time there was not much in the way of job assistance, but I understand this too has improved since I graduated.

Before learning about Galvanize I had met with a college enrollment councilor to see what going back to get a degree is CS would require. Had I pursued that path I would still be in college full time, and I would have zero real world experience and knowledge (and quite a bit more debt!)

I highly recommend the Galvanize Data Science Immersive program if you are interested in pursuing a career in data science and are ready to really accelerate your learning.

I had been dabbling in programming and data science for a year or two, taking online courses or attending a hackathon here and there. I finally decided I was ready to take the plunge and pursue data science full-time. I researched a few programs in the Bay Area, applied to 2, and ultimately decided to enroll at Galvanize.

I found well-developed and challenging curriculum, with dedicated and supportive instructors. You will really learn a lot in 12 weeks-- but still remember you are getting an overview of many different topics and will likely want to dive deeper on a subset of topics on your own time. You probably won't emerge as an expert (unless you had pretty advanced knowledge coming in) as there is simply too much material for that. Instead, you'll have a strong foundation that you can continue to build on. I also see the careers services curriculum is being refined and better integrated into the program which I think will benefit future cohorts (ours was concentrated at the end of the program).

Overall, I found the program totally worth it. I'm sure most bootcamps grads benefit simply from having concentrated on learning full-time for 12 weeks, but after hearing of some other people's experiences, I really think Galvanize is one of the best out there.

Galvanize FSI was an incredible experience that not only am I so happy I chose to go through with, but that I actively miss for its unique immersive qualities and amazing fellow students and instructors. The curriculum we went through gave us a great base for being hired into the modern workforce, as well as many qualities of "real" software developers that I believe couldn't be learned in independent study because the instructors are all highly skilled developers themselves.

The Boulder campus itself is a wealth of fun people and opportunities, located in an amazing part of town with a beautiful view and facilities. If you put yourself out there to connect with those companies that work out of Galvanize and take advantage of luncheons and happy hours, it will only add an additional dimension to the coding course work you're assigned and I highly recommend it.

My cohort did experience some turn over in instructors which caused a loss of continuity in teaching style and rapport, but the management worked very hard to make sure we still had the experience we came for and I say ultimately succeeded. We simply met more individuals, but they were all qualified and effective in making us the best coders we could be.

Even as a "bootcamp," Galvanize made it clear to me and other students that they valued us as people who had sacrificed a lot to attend their program, much moreso than a typical higher ed institution. They worked hard to give us an incredible return on investment. The program isn't easy and you can't skate through it, but if you're committed at every step of the way you will never look back. Happy hunting!