galvanize-logo

Galvanize

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Denver, Fort Collins, London, Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle

Galvanize

Galvanize offers a 13-week full-time and a 26-week part-time data science bootcamp, as well as Hack Reactor's 12-week JavaScript coding bootcamp in Austin, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City. The data science bootcamp covers Python, SQL, and Hadoop. The software engineering bootcamp covers full stack JavaScript including AngulaJS, Node.js, and Express.js.

Candidates are advised to submit their applications 6 weeks before the course start date to leave enough time to complete the admissions process. For the Data Science Immersive, students should ideally have experience in Python programming, math, statistics, and probability, and must complete a technical exercise, and two technical interviews. For the Software Engineering Immersive, students must learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as part of the admissions process prep work, and show admissions staff that they can solve problems like an engineer through a technical interview.

By integrating education and industry, Galvanize puts learning and working side by side. Galvanize aims to teach students the skills and concepts they need to make an impact in a new career, or improve their skills at their current gig. As well as immersive bootcamps, Galvanize also offers short courses, workshops, and events.

Recent Galvanize Reviews: Rating 4.47

all (177) reviews for Galvanize →

Recent Galvanize News

Read all (71) articles about Galvanize →
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Python, SQL
    LocationPhoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    In just 13 weeks, you'll learn the tools, techniques, and fundamental concepts you need to know to make an impact as a data scientist. During the course of the program, you'll work through messy, real-world data sets to gain experience across the data science stack: data munging, exploration, modeling, validation, visualization, and communication.
    Deposit$1,500
    We partner with SkillsFund and Climb Credit for students who need help financing their tuition.

Tuition PlansYes, we work with lending partners.
    Refund / GuaranteeYes, as per contract
    ScholarshipWe offer scholarships based on merit, demonstrated financial need, and increasing participation in technology among underrepresented groups such as women, veterans, minorities, and people who identify as LGBT.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior experience in coding Python, math & stats is needed.
    Prep WorkTake Home Technical on Python & Stats challenges
  • Python Fundamentals

Data Science, Python
    LocationDenver, Phoenix, Austin, Seattle, Boulder
    Python Fundamentals covers the building blocks of Python, including the basic programming skills individuals within the tech field use every day. Python can be applied in a variety of fields including data science. With the number of job postings featuring Python steadily growing, there is no better time to learn this versatile language.
    Refund / Guarantee100% of your tuition for this part-time course will be applied as a discount to our Data Science Immersive.
    Minimum Skill LevelDesire to learn.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, SQL, CSS, React.js, Front End
    LocationPhoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    Our Software Engineering Immersive bootcamp goes beyond teaching the most in-demand technologies. Teaching Hack Reactor’s rigorous industry-tested software engineering curriculum, our bootcamp emphasizes soft skills and brings together cutting-edge tech like React, ES6 and blockchain with computer science fundamentals. After completing this program, you’ll be prepared to understand new tech languages, libraries and frameworks.
    Deposit$1,500
    We partner SkillsFund and Climb Credit for students who need help financing their tuition.

Tuition PlansYes, we work with lending partners.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced Beginner

• Anna VM • Data Scientist

in short: loved it! well worth the investment!

more detailled overview: I tried to underline the points I remember being curious about

material: you wallk out of there with a strong grasp of machine learning algorithms. there are tests to help you check your understanding

*instructors: great team, they are available to talk one on one or with a smaller group if you have questions

*campus: perfect place to work (I studied there many weekends too)

*cohort: great mix of people, all motivated, from various background. You spend quite a lot of time programming in pairs, so you really get to know the others

*capstone projects: great few days when you get to use everything you learned. We are split up in smaller groups (with an instructor to coordinate) and give each other feedback.

*post graduation: meet-up every week to help you stay focused and organized. We all share interview experience, practice whiteboarding, etc... Extremely useful!

NB: be ready to work, the more you do so the more you get out of it! I studied most evenings and most week ends.

• Jennifer Dunne • Graduate

The first thing that impressed me about Galvanize was how thorough their enrollment exam was. It took me two tries to get accepted, even though I have degrees in math and AI and a decade-spanning career of programming and database support. Talking to the other students in my cohort, I was far from the only one who'd had to apply multiple times. But the entire cohort successfully completed the program, with no one failing or dropping out, which proved the validity of the application process.

In my case, I was new to the Python programming language, so I took the one-week Python pre-course (free for Data Science Immersive students). That really helped me get up to speed and become fluent in the language, instead of stumbling my way through it and constantly checking reference manuals. The goal was to be able to focus on the data science we would be learning, not the programming, and it succeeded. I also felt more confident by the end of that week. After all, I'd been out of school for nearly 30 years at that point, and I was a little concerned about how quickly I would be able to learn things, compared to the much-younger members of my cohort.

The lessons were clear and straight-forward, with lots of real-world examples from the careers of the instructors. The concepts built on each other in a sensible way, so that after spending a week on different elements of statistics, it was easy to understand the algorithms incorporating those statistics. Frequently, we would code our own versions of algorithms, really understanding how all the pieces went together, before we applied the commonly available versions of the algorithms. This made us far more knowledgable than simple analysis monkeys that could only drop data into an algorithm and turn the crank.

I also want to commend the knowledge, patience, and care of the teaching staff. They made what could have been complex and confusing, easily understandable and entertaining. Also, they did a great job of shifting their teaching styles to match the personalities of the cohort. Apparently, the cohort prior to ours had a lot of students that wanted the instructors to give them the answers when things got difficult, so the instructors would basically just show them how to Google the right question. Our cohort was fiercely independent, so the instructors had to almost beg us to ask them for help, rather than wasting our time trying to figure things out ourselves. They still wouldn't give us answers, but they'd point us in the right direction, or tell us where we'd made mistakes. And when they noticed a number of students having similar issues, they'd put together a special session to go over that one specific concept.

We did solo work in the morning, pair programming in the afternoon, and towards the end of the course, broke into teams on Fridays to work on bigger projects. Then, of course, we had to do our capstone projects. The instructors were very helpful with giving pointers for things to look at as we developed our capstone ideas. One of the members of the cohort started his capstone work the first week of class. I was able to spend most of our Spring Break working on mine, which helped take the pressure off to produce something from scratch in the final few weeks. (I'd definitely suggest to students to start developing an idea as soon as possible.)

There were additional reading assignments for each day, to be done before class started in the morning, as well as solutions to assignments given out at the end of the day to be compared to what we'd done. There were also "extra credit" assignments on most days, that we could do if we finished early. After we complained about the massive workload, they explained that the idea was no one should ever feel like they had "nothing to do". There was always more to learn. But we weren't expected to learn it all or do it all every day. That took a lot of the pressure off.

We had multiple practice sessions for our capstone presentations, and I was impressed by everyone's work at the Hiring Day presentations. There were an equal number of hiring companies and students at Hiring Day, which was nice, but it did not seem that they were very well vetted. Some were early stage companies that did not yet have funding (one basically offered to pay people with IOUs, convertable to money when their funding came in) or did not have any current openings (one was a recruiting firm that seemed to just want to add names to their roster). I was encouraged by the instructors to turn my capstone into an hour-long presentation at the Denver Datapalooza conference, which was an additional feather in my cap proving my abilities for potential employers, and got me some great contacts within the industry.

I had an additional hurdle that most of my cohort did not have. Because of my age, many of the companies -- even those that requested that I apply for their open positions!!! -- never contacted me. I've since been told by someone who works in this arena that the HR departments in large firms protect themselves from age-discrimination lawsuits by refusing to interview older candidates. It wasn't until I removed any mention of age (dropping graduation years, removing the first 10 years of my experience, and not stating how many years I'd worked in the industry) from my resume that I began getting calls. This really should have been addressed during the resume preparation workshop we had, as well as during the resume reviews.

The Outcomes group did not do a great job preparing us for the realities of a job search. We were under the impression that 1/3 of our class would get offers from Hiring Day, and the rest would get jobs within a month -- two at the outside! -- of graduation. So when I couldn't even get anyone to return my calls within that timeframe, I was distraught and felt like a complete failure. It took me nearly 2 months just to figure out which sorts of companies I should be applying to, that would reward my job history and experience instead of wanting the lowest cost provider of data science skills. I would have liked an acknowledgment that one path toward success is to take short-term data scientist contract positions, building up your resume, while you search for a full-time position, and to get some help finding those. Instead, the only options that were covered were joining a start-up or working full-time for a well established firm. Since their success is measured by how much money the students get when they sign their employment contracts, their motivation is skewed in a way that is not necessarily helpful for the students. Also, the official job prospect software was a joke. They stepped up to the task after graduation, and began sending out job notices to the students who were looking for positions. But it felt like a fumble and a recovery, not like it had been the plan all along.

Galvanize graduates have a very good reputation, and companies that have hired one often want to hire more. There are also lots of networking opportunities, both during the course and in the months following. There's even one specifically for women who have gone through any of the Galvanize programs, and who sometimes feel that the tech industry can be a "boy's club", to help you find female mentors in the industry.

Overall, I really enjoyed the three months that I spent in the data science immersive. If I'd known how long it would take to get a job, I would have signed up to be a TA for the following cohort, so that I could stay in that wonderful environment. I highly recommend the Galvanize program for anyone interested in Data Science.

• Josh Cantor • Graduate

Overview:

My experience in the Galvanize Full-Stack Immersive was highly productive, engaging, and enjoyable. I went into it hoping to maximize my learning and trusting the process would help me build the tools to find the "right" software engineering job for me. After three months of interviewing and talking to a variety of companies, I recently accepted a great offer from a fantastic company.

I chose to attend Galvanize after researching bootcamps for about a year, and I was most compelled by their instructors and curriculum. Having six months of class (vs. three months, which seems to be far more common) was also a factor, since I knew more time immersed in learning would result in a deeper and broader set of skills come the end.

There were some bumps along the way, as other reviewers have mentioned (Associate Instructor turnover, unproductive hiring day), but I'm honestly not surprised by this, given how new the industry is. For me, the core experience of being and class and learning was excellent.

Instruction:

Schools are only as good as their teachers, and Liz Howard and Tyler Bettilyon were a fantastic instructor team. Their lectures and assignments were focused and well thought-out, they were always open to my questions, and they often worked with me individually when I asked for assistance. We regularly were asked to provide feedback through surveys, and I know both Tyler and Liz were genuinely interested in using this to gauge their past instruction and plan for the future. They're both fansatic individuals, and it was a pleasure to spend six months in their class.

Prior to Galvanize, I spent a year and a half teaching myself, and during the program my pace of learning was far greater than what I achieved on my own (meaning, per amount of time spent learning, I was much more productive in the bootcamp). The curriculum was scaffolded such that new concepts built on those we previously focused on, and they were paired with meaningful exercises that allowed us to practice implementing them. I was able to build the tools to create full-stack web applications and to continue learning on my own. This skill is arguably more important than the specific technologies I learned, given the current pace at which new technologies are being adopted throughout the whole industry.

One area I would like to have spent more time was computer science fundamentals. This feedback was given by me and many members of my class, and the cohorts that started after mine now have more CS built in.

Jobs:

Michelle Lai, the Career Services Manager, and I communicated regularly thoughout my whole search process, and she connected me with a number of companies that I eventually interviewed with. She was a great sounding board for thoughts and ideas on search strategies, interview preparation, and negotiation. After my course ended, Michelle hosted weekly group meetings for alums to help support our respective searches in whatever way was needed.

Recommendations to Individuals Researching Bootcamps:

Before commiting, spend a bunch of time coding to a) find out if you like it, and b) prepare for a bootcamp: the more you come in with, the more you come out with. Nearly all the work you'll be doing builds on your basic coding ability, so a shaky foundation will result in a shaky experience.

Ask lots of questions before committing. This is a really new industry, and it's easy to get excited about the hype. Make sure your idea of what you will get from a bootcamp is in-line with what a bootcamp will teach you and provide for you.

Ask lots of questions once you're in class. This is how you can advocate for yourself and your own learning. If something doesn't make sense, ask about it. Many times my mental model for a concept was initially incorrect, but by asking questions about things that stood out to me as not making sense, I was able to quickly correct my thinking.

• Solid Program
    - 7/12/2016
    Gerard Cote • Associate Software Engineer, Oracle Data Cloud • Graduate

In an increasingly crowded universe of development training programs, Galvanize has been a trail blazer and leader. The six-month intensive program with its focus on leading technologies and discipline around  best-in-class engineering process vaulted my capabilities exponentially. This learning was fueled by an instruction team that was excellently qualified with both professional and academic experience. Galvanize's entrepreneurial ecosystem and top-notch instructors make it an excellent choice for anyone looking for a career in software.

• DSI Cohort 9
    - 7/3/2016
    Alex Braun • Computer Vision Scientist • Graduate

Galvanize is a great school.  The students are intelligent and driven, and the intensity of the course seemed to force us to engage with each other in an extremely goal-oriented, intellectually honest manner.  I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to work with others who operate on such a mature plane.  The professors and DSRs are knowledgeable and dedicated to helping students actually understand the material, but you need to seek them out if you need help outside of the classroom.  I found Lee Murray (then DSR, now DSI) to be particularly helpful and very sharp.

The course is well-paced and decently orchestrated until we got into the Spark, AWS, Hadoop, Hive and Pig week.  If you know anything about these pieces of software, you will know a week is not enough time to cover them.  This week should focus only on the skills that are most attractive, to the majority of employers; and those skills are Spark and AWS.  Students should be taken by the hand and walked through every step of setting up an EC2 instance on AWS, as it's actually not that hard, but admits of many pitfalls.  The remaining time should be dedicated to Spark.  Overall, given the immense depth and breadth of the topic, the instruction, course material and coursework are well crafted.

The classroom time dedicated to all the job/hiring stuff after we got through with the data science bit was far too short.  However, Katie's (then the Director of Outcomes at Galvanize) assistance was outstanding.  She can and will walk you through everything; from organizing the job tracker to how to write a cold email.  She is also an invaluable source for finding job opportunities and will give you warm introductions to people.  However, you must be patient and persistent with her, as she is a very busy women who simply cannot do 100 things at once.

In short, Galvanize has a great deal to offer, but as with all things, it's what you make of it.  It was one of the best decisions I ever made, in part, because I was determined to make it so.

• Elana Kopelevich • Web Development Resident • Graduate

I enrolled in the full stack program with a little bit of insider info. I had been working for Galvanize, part-time, so I was looped in to their internal updates on student placement and curriculum development. I recognized that the company was really focused on student success and that the data backed it up. Despite that insight, I still looked into a few different programs (it's too much of an investment to make a biased decision). I quickly narrowed the finalists down to the two well know six month, fully immersive programs in Denver. I decided that part-time wasn't going to cut it. Ultimately, the deciding factor was the community experience that Galvanize would offer me.

From day one of the program, I was happy with my experience. Between the curriculum, the instructional team the community experience, Galvanize was a perfect storm of life changing experiences.

The curriculum was relevant, responsive and very fast paced. The reality is that learning a full stack of web development is an enormous endeavor. It gets stressful and overwhelming at times. The industry standards are in a constant state of flux and even the foundations of problem solving go deeper than most people are used to in their day to day lives.

That being said, I cannot imagine a more efficient way of delivering the information than what I experienced at Galvanize. The program segmented front-end, back-end, frameworks and computer science cooncepts, but also allowed us to spiral back and gain a deeper knowledge after we had spent a fair amount of time with material.

Beyond the curriculum, the class culture was amazing. Not only did I leave this program with twenty something new friends, the comraderie in the classroom encouraged helping and teaching each other and removed the fear of looking stupid when asking questions. Developing that environment was a conscious effort of our instructional team and I'm grateful for that.

Outside of our classroom, we also reaped the benefits of the community space. Rather than learning in a silo and having to go to networking events to, not so subtly, ask employers for jobs, we got to share a space with working professionals that were intersested and curious about our experiences. After six months in the same building, we had all made personal connections with developers and euntreprenuers that advised us, hired some of us, and became a natural part of our networks.

Finally, I want to add that the program was really fun. Aside, from the fact that I got a job (I'm now working for Galvanize), and that I got new skills, it was one of the most fun six months of my life. I absolutely recommend it to anyone who loves learning, wants to be challenged and needs some help transitioning into the tech world.

• Colin • Data Scientist • Graduate

This program is top-notch.  It was a big deal for me and my family for me to do this, in terms of time and money, but it definitely paid off.  The instructors were great and the program really did prepare me for a job in the data science industry.  You have to be ready to work and devote yourself to the program for three months, but if you do, it will all be worth it in the end.

• Galvanize Seattle
    - 6/10/2016
    Eric Hullander • Data Scientist • Graduate

I came from an electrical engineering and enterprise software background, but fell in love with data science about a year ago and wanted a change.  I studied online through Coursera, but eventually chose Galvanize to help sharpen my skills after not being selected for a few data science positions.

It worked.  I landed a data science job with an exciting startup/consultancy within 1 month of graduating, and I will start consulting at a major software company on Monday

I am just now beginning to appreciate how much I learned at Galvanize.  In just two months I have been able to contribute to a variety of projects with the knowledge I gained from Galvanize; building classifiers, regression models, topic modelers, and A-B testing. We are mostly an Azure ML and R shop, but my new-found Python skills have been very well received here.

The course work at Galvanize was intense, but fun.  The instructors are amazing and the cohort was highly intelligent.  I've never been so intellectually challenged in my entire life (except maybe now at my new job)  Being surrounded by and studying with the Galvanize team  for three months changed my life.  I am doing what I want to be doing.

• Japneet Singh • Data Scientist • Graduate

There isn't much I can add to the reviews already available which cover most of the important points but I'll add my two cents.

Data Science immersive has hands down been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my career and I would do it again without thinking twice. It's a great place to learn and grow and the environment is immensely supportive. The instructors and the DSR's(TA's) are always available to answer questions or doubts which will be in abundance.

You will learn as much from your peers as from your instructors. Be prepared to put in the hours and forgo any social life outside the program for its duration.

I agree with some of the reviews below about working to get your jobs. It ultimately comes down to how much work you're willing to put in by going to meetups, conferences and even cold mailing recruiters. It can take anywhere from 1-6 months depending on the individual.

I want to give a shout out to the Outcomes team which works hard behind the scenes to help graduates in their job search. They are always available to help you and make introductions wherever they can. They also conduct a weekly outcomes meetup for graduates to come and discuss their interview experiences which in my opinion is extremely valuable. Basic idea here is that you have resources available , its up to you to make the most of them.

• J • Software Engineer

Bootcamps are hard work. They require a lot of dedication and effort. For anyone looking to learn how to code that can't or doesn't want to put in that kind of commitment, steer clear of bootcamps in general.

I'd argue that Galvanize prepares their students better than any other similarly structured and timed bootcamp. I've seen this working as an engineer for the past two years while working with graduates from other bootcamps. They've honed in on what works and how to reach the majority of their students with varying ways to teach and learn.

That being said, you get out of it what you're willing to put in. Galvanize will not hand every student a job coming out of Full Stack, nor will they guarantee that you've retained all that they've put out there for you.

Simply put: if you're interested in becoming a software engineer, you have drive and a basic knowledge of computers and do the pre-work, then Galvanize Full Stack is your best bet and will prepare you the in the most indepth way for the launch of your engineering career.

• M • Software Developer • Graduate

If your ambitions are to make more money, take some time off and discover your passions... Don't jump into a bootcamp. Galvanize is a great program, but it won't give you the basic skills like computer proficiency, that's something you need to come in with.

Provided you have a legitimate interest in technology, software, and web development, Galvanize is one of the best programs. Like anything else, it's what you make of it. If you put your all into the program, you'll walk out with the basic skills needed to thrive as a junior developer. But what you won't get is the foundational computer science concepts that make you a mid-level or senior developer. That's something you need to develop on your own. I guess what I'm saying is, you need to have a desire to continue learning. This isn't a silver bullet, but it's a fantastic starting point.

They aren't going to hand you a job, you have to get out there and search for it. I know some people who graduated and didn't find a job for six months, others had jobs lined up before graduation. It's a risk. The marketing for the school isn't necessarily the most accurate, but it's not a complete lie either.  Nearly everyone I know from this program has eventually found a job, though not always the one they wanted or making as much as they thought they should.

I can't speak to the job assistance, I was in the third graduating class and there was virtually no assistance. Demo days were for family, friends and students. No one was there to hire you. You had to find those willing to on your own. I hear it's better now, but can't speak to it.

The short of this... If you love technology and have the drive to learn, Galvanize is great! If you're looking for money and an easy way out... You're in for a world of pain and struggle. They will direct you to the tools, you figure out how to use them. It's what you make of it.

• Moses Marsh • Data Scientist in Residence • Graduate

I had a very fulfilling experience at Galvanize. The classroom environment is the perfect combination of individual assignments and collaborative learning, and the instructors check in with you personally to make sure you're getting all the help you need if you are having difficulty with any particular subject. This is very much a success-oriented program; the goal is to place you in a data scientist position as soon as possible.

In addition to the programming, probability, statistics, machine learning, and data engineering curriculum, there are one-on-one resume workshops and mock interviews. You learn how to pitch yourself as a data scientist and navigate the interview process down to the negotiation stage. Galvanize hosts many events and talks that provide valuable networking opportunities, and the outcomes team has a roster of companies that come to the Galvanize campus to connect with students (and if you have a particular place in mind, they can help connect you with them directly).

I enjoyed the experience so much that I stayed around to help instruct the next cohort. Meanwhile, my peers had interviews lined up in the week immediately following graduation. Any time after the program, Galvanize and the outcomes team are still there for you to provide job search support. They're a resources you can always count on, and they really, really want you to become a successful data scientist.

• Frank • Graduate

After reading positive Galvanize reviews and finding multiple job postings in Denver for Data Scientists I decided to enroll in the 3 month Data Science Immersive at the Platte campus starting in February.  Getting in to the program wasn't easy: besides a take-home test there were two online Google-hangout type tests that tested python, programming knowledge, and stats and machine learning knowledge.  I got in but I studied these subjects intensively for a couple months beforehand because I knew that the rejection rate (i.e. "Apply again after you've learned more in these areas..." was high.

I was impressed by the syllabus, the instructors, and the contacts with industry.  This is a vocational school, but there is a serious attempt in the limited time you have each day to dig deep conceptually into the material while you do practical exercises.  It was exhilarating and exhausting.

Post graduation job search support is strong as well.

• Best Decision Ever
    - 5/24/2016
    Derik Linch • Developer • Graduate

I was pretty bummed about where I was at after college. I was working sales in jobs that weren't fulfulling. I joined Galvanize and have never looked back. It was an amazing time, I felt challenged but never overwhelmed. I met some of my best friends and have a job I absolutely love. Bonus is that it pays almost 3x what my old job paid.

Talk about a no-lose scenario.

• Tim Hou • Data Scientist • Graduate

The data science program at Denver has been a great launchpad into the field of data science. Although, I was able to learn fundamental of data science at General Assembly, the immersive program helped me prepare to be a Data Scientist in industry. I was able to create a fantastic capstone project at the end. This program has given me a lot more confidence to becoming a successful in this field.

• Anonymous • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate

If you put the work in, the results that you get out will be tenfold. The Galvanize Full Stack will build a strong foundation that you can build a career upon. And it goes beyond the education with the community that Galvanize offers its members.

• Robert Hajek • Associate Instructor, Full Stack • Graduate

Before starting the 6-Month Galvanize Web Development Immersive program in Denver, I was working as a remote representative doing ISP techincal support. Having only a techincal certificate/associate degree from a community college, I felt my career options were limited and I was at a job earning much less than I valued my skills to be worth. I wasn't being challenged and my pay reflected that. I had always been interested in programming but had never written a single line of code.

Enter Galvanize...

One of the best decisions I have ever made! This program was hard but very rewarding. I made really good friends during the course and overcame some very tough challenges. Galvanize has a dynamic curriculum meaning it is constantly being updated to fit the job market. We were the first cohort to have switched to a MEAN/NEAP stack curriculum instead of primarily RoR. I learned more than I thought was possible in that short of time frame. I realized I really enjoyed complex problem solving and learned how to approach difficult situations way more effectively. After the six months, I applied to become a resident instructor at Galvanize, a role akin to a TA. I was offered the position and spent 3 months helping the next cohort of students before being promoted to a full-time Associate Instructor. I am now getting ready to help teach my second cohort and I couldn't be happier. I worked very hard and know I ultimatley was responsible for my own success but I'd be lying if I didn't say I owe a lot of it to Galvanize, their dynamic curriculum, and the incredible staff of instructors.

Considering that the Data Science program advertises itself as continually updating their cirrculum as to keep up with industry standards, many of the sprints were woefully typo ridden and did a sub-par job conveying what should be learned during the exercise. In this way the learning experience was far less smooth than it could have otherwise been.

Looking beyond this limitation, the program was amazing. The instructing staff was knowledgable and certainly cared about my learning experience. The other students were also a wealth of knowledge and support. Overall, the program was extraordinary, though very taxing. They definitely take the immersive idea seriously there.

I think the biggest thing I got from the program was learning how much there is to learn about data science while getting a great foundation of skills and framework in which to acquire new ones.

If you think that you're going to know all about data science upon leaving this program, or that it's some sort of magic solution that will make you a big shot data sciencist, then think again. No matter what, learning data science takes an immense amount of work and talent, this program ended up being an amazing first step in my efforts to become a good data scientist.

• Roberto Ortega • Graduate

Galvanize did it. Well no, acutally, I did it because it took a lot of work but Galvanize helped me get there. I went from working for non-profits with zero tech skills to doubling my salary writing code.

The market is good right now for developers, that definitely played a factor. So if you're thinking about coding, now is the time. I highly recommend Galvanize. They really care about their placement rates and are very public about it so it's a good choice. As far as other bootcamps, I'm not sure, but I can talk about my experience with gSchool:

They had completely shifted their curriculum from Rails to JS. We were one of the first cohorts to go through it. Looking back, I think they could have been a little more organized with the curriculum. It was intense early on and then independent work for the second half. It should have been spread out more with more guidance towards the end.

Even so, Galvanize is fucking awesome and I learned everything that I needed to know to get a job. My instructor knew his shit and made sure we did as well.

Also, one thing that might set Galvanize apart from the rest is the community aspect. The environment is modern and hip. They host multiple startups and events that I was constantly immersed in the tech scene. By the time I graduated, I had made really good connections and friends.

• Worth It.
    - 5/6/2016

Galvanize is without a doubt the best decision I have so far in my life. I have completely altered the path I thought I woud follow, giving me opportunities, connections, and a community of incredibly people that I never woud have had otherwise. It is an intense and challenging program, as is to be expected in a condensed bootcamp format, but it was worth every penny...I don't say that lightly, given the loan I took out for the program. I have hard technical skills and an ability to learn new concepts quickly and effectively, allowing me to pick up new frameworks and technologies in a way I never could before.

• Taylor • Agile Software Developer • Graduate

There's a reason that the Huffington Post and the NY Times have written rave articles and reviews about Galvanize and its graduates. Let's start by discussing what separates Galvanize from its competitors.

A. Galvanize's full stack immersive program is 6-months long. Longer than most programs of competitors, but much needed to truly come out of the program as a decent full stack developer. The program begins quite structured, with lectures and assignments daily. After the first quarter, you have less lectures, and more assignments that are to be completed on your own or in groups. The concept of gradual release is extremely beneficial and mimics a typical workflow of a developer in the field (ie: there won't always be someone there to hold your hand and answer all of your questions). Galvanize is big about the concept of learning to learn- and let me tell you... once you learn to learn, you never stop (or want to stop). Let's just say that learning Meteor in a week wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

B. Galvanize buildings are a combination of start-ups/freelancers and the immersive bootcamps, and that is just awesome. Picture this. You're sitting in a common area on a Saturday morning, hacking away at an assignment due Monday. A man, who is a member at Galvanize walks up to you and strikes a conversation. Turns out, that man is the CEO of a startup in the building and guess what?! They are hiring junior developers. From networking events held monthly, mentorship luncheons with companies, opportunities to shadow devs in the building, and even to the random conversations I had over a beer or two (yes, there is a keg with free beer in the building), the connections I made with professionals in the tech industry through Galvanize are priceless. This is one of the main reasons I chose Galvanize and one of the main reasons why I believe their program is so successful.

C. In the end, you're trying to get a job... and a good one. Galvanize has an outcomes team that is specifically responsible for finding you jobs and counseling you through the entire process. As a student (and alumni if you finish the program), you have access to exclusive job opportunities via an internal job portal. Many of these companies and these job roles target Galvanize graduates exclusively because they know they are reliable and strong developers. Was it easy finding a job?! Actually, yes. I got my top job and one of the top 3 salaries in my class two weeks before graduation. The last quarter of the full stack immersive program is predominately working on capstones and presentations, technical interview practice and lectures regarding salary negotiations and resumes. Hiring day, which occurs two weeks before graduation, is a day dedicating to showcasing student capstones. Each student presents roughly 4 minutes in front of 30-50 potential employers (all who are looking to hire). After presentations, there is a networking luncheon, a speed-dating sort of round where employers chat with each student, AND a science-fair styled showcase of all the companies, where students can visit booths set up by companies. It's a lot of talking and networking within one day, but most students come out with second rounds of interviews scheduled with companies, and some, even jobs.

Now let's talk about my ratings.

A. Overall Experience: I gave it a five, but I would give a TEN if possible. Really. You give up your life, your job and for me, I moved halfway across the country just for this program. You shell out all of this money in hopes that everything will work out... and it does. If you put in the effort and the hours, you will come out with a great job- regardless of whether or not you are the top coder in the class. For me, Galvanize personally connected me with my dream job- which is where the 5 extra stars come into play.

B. Instructors: The instructors are awesome. They all come from really unique backgrounds and bring a lot of unique developer experience to the table. Instructors are available during work hours and many go above and beyond to be available late at night and on the weekends. Each class has 4-5 instructors and usually 1 FSR (like a TA) to assist, so I never felt like I was on an island. Instructors enjoy solving problems and coding too, so often times they bring a new perspective on how to solve a problem or address issues you're experiencing in your code.

C. Curriculum. It is a Javascript-based bootcamp. The stack is: NEAP (Node.js, Express, Angular, PostgreSQL) and in addition, we scratched the surface of: Ruby, Python, Java, Swift, Mongo, Socket.io, Test Driven Development and Agile Workflow. Lots of students learned new technologies for projects as well. If you are coming in with little to no experience in coding, work on JavaScript and JQuery as the first half of the program heavily revolves around those. Also, class hours are 9-5 M-F, but you WILL put in additional hours every.single.day. Just plan to put in 50-60 hour weeks at minimum. Don't worry- pomodoro timer is a real thing and there is a ping pong table for breaks.

D. Job Assistance, see above.

All in all, Galvanize was worth the money and the time. I came out with a great job, amazing friends, and irreplaceable knowledge of how to learn as well as the necessary foundation of a software developer. It's hard work, but it pays off without a doubt.

Hi! I finished my Denver cohort in Jan 2016. If you are considering a data science Denver class I would recommend visiting a class and noting: interaction with students and instructors, how smoothly the labs run, and how the intructors review material supporting quizes and exams. Ask the students how they are doing and what they are learning. It will be your money and time so make sure you are comfortable with the learning environment as a place where you can thrive.

If they refuse to let you visit a class, consider that a red flag.

I would also ask for the number of students employed in the Denver area with salary info. Our cohort has had a difficult time finding Denver jobs. As of this writing, 4 months after the classes ended, many are not employed. If your intent is to stay in the Denver Metro area, this may not be the program for you. One person from my cohort and two from the previous cohort had to leave Colorado to find employment.

PROS:

The other students were very motivated, interesting and collaborative. Galavanize does a great job of finding qualified students.
    The ziphian materials presented in the repositories are wonderful. If you take the class dig deep for them. They were not used as part of the circulum in Denver.
    The California staff visited twice during our session and were amazing with providing context and coherent lectures.
    The labs were actual business case studies with relevent uses of algorithms on business data
    The math, stats and computer theory was presented and then applyed to a a real world problem
    The Denver training site is in an incubator and home to a full stack class so you are surrounded by people who are inovating and discussing new ideas
    The Denver training site has lots of amneties like breakout rooms, wireless, gym, bike corral, and spectacular views
    Guest speakers came about once every other week to discuss their use of data science in their company which put a great context to what we were learning
    One week prior to the Data Science course they offered a Python course that really helped and was a great bonus

CONS:

The labs, reading materials, quizzes and lectures were often unrelated.
    Many of the 30 minute quizzes were over materials that were never covered and not reviewed (so what was the point?)
    The instructors were not always constructive to questions with responses like: "google it", blank stares, "I don't know, ask someone else", and shoulder shrugs
    The labs were not properly prepared so we often spent valuable time trying to configure our computer by updating libraries, importing a new data file or running different syntax
    The Career Services team was located in a different building 15 minutes away and had very limited availablity
    Time management, planning and communication were lacking with informal meetings and no schedule for the day. As a result, I did not feel that my time was valued by the Galvanize staff.
    Confusing and inconsistent learning environments and teaching styles.
    The staff was constantly "reactive" to what needed to be done. They were avaliable for questions but not great at explaining concepts to relate to the lab and quiz materials.
    Instructors were graduates of the previous course so their knowledge did not run deep

Good luck !

• Scott Cronin • Data Scientist, Trunk Club • Graduate
    Galvanize is simply the best data science bootcamp that exists. I'll walk through how I came to that decision, alongside sharing information and experience coming out of it. For you to get the most out of this program, you should be a rockstar with stats, math, and programming background and good work experience.

I knew about 1.5 years before joining Galvanize I would transition from my R+D engineering role at Intel to data science. I applied to every bootcamp, and chatted with members from:
    • Galvanize
    • Insight (PhD only)
    • Metis
    • NYC Data Science Academy
    • Data Incubator (PhD only)
    Additionally, I read blogs from members who had gone through the program. Below was the most influential blog I read from Ike Okonkwo. My blog detailing the experience is below as well.
    Zipfian Academy - All 12 weeks - Ike Okonkwo (Winter 2014 Cohort)
    Blog - Scott Cronin (Fall 2015 Cohort #9)

I went to Galvanize because it was:
    1. The most intense 12 week bootcamp
    2. The most well designed and iterated (now on cohort #12 as of March 2016)
    3. Well rounded with additional focus on resume, recruiting, and interview prep
    Coming out of Galvanize, I obtained 5 job offers within a 2 month spread and had my choice of what I wanted to do. Note -  you must be talented prior to coming into Galvanize. The interview process has 4 steps to verify you will be successful in the program as it is too intense if you do not have a background foundation in programming, math, and stats.

It is important to realize that you have to bring knowledge to the program so you can share with others. Likewise I learned a ton from others in my cohort. This is what makes the program great. Once you finish it, you are connected to the single strongest data science community in the world. Two of my job offers came from being connected to the Galvanize community.

I went to the 12 week program in 2015. They have a three step interview claiming the bar is high for the program, but these days there is a booming in number of student accepted and graduated, while resources are the same or even worse due to loosing experienced instructors. Students not being in similar level for a 12 week program is serious issue itself, leaving students with lower prior experience in more difficulties to catchup with the curriculum.

The material they teach is cutting edge with means of the programming machine learning tools, but not the most useful for industry if you are looking for an actual job in data and analytics.

There is no real effective job assistance provided, there are so many graduates that the only person in charge of outcomes will not even get enough time to answer your emails. The most effective interviews that I got were not through Galvanize.