galvanize-logo

Galvanize

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Denver, Fort Collins, London, Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle

Galvanize

Galvanize offers a 13-week full-time and a 26-week part-time data science bootcamp, as well as Hack Reactor's 12-week JavaScript coding bootcamp in Austin, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City. The data science bootcamp covers Python, SQL, and Hadoop. The software engineering bootcamp covers full stack JavaScript including AngulaJS, Node.js, and Express.js.

Candidates are advised to submit their applications 6 weeks before the course start date to leave enough time to complete the admissions process. For the Data Science Immersive, students should ideally have experience in Python programming, math, statistics, and probability, and must complete a technical exercise, and two technical interviews. For the Software Engineering Immersive, students must learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as part of the admissions process prep work, and show admissions staff that they can solve problems like an engineer through a technical interview.

By integrating education and industry, Galvanize puts learning and working side by side. Galvanize aims to teach students the skills and concepts they need to make an impact in a new career, or improve their skills at their current gig. As well as immersive bootcamps, Galvanize also offers short courses, workshops, and events.

Recent Galvanize Reviews: Rating 4.49

all (176) reviews for Galvanize →

Recent Galvanize News

Read all (70) articles about Galvanize →
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Python, SQL
    Phoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    In just 13 weeks, you'll learn the tools, techniques, and fundamental concepts you need to know to make an impact as a data scientist. During the course of the program, you'll work through messy, real-world data sets to gain experience across the data science stack: data munging, exploration, modeling, validation, visualization, and communication.
    We partner with Climb and Skills Fund for students who need help financing their tuition.
    Yes, we work with lending partners.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Yes, as per contract
    We offer scholarships based on merit, demonstrated financial need, and increasing participation in technology among underrepresented groups such as women, veterans, minorities, and people who identify as LGBT.
    Prior experience in coding Python, math & stats is needed.
    Take Home Technical on Python & Stats challenges
  • Python Fundamentals

Data Science, Python
    Denver, Phoenix, Austin, Seattle, Boulder
    Python Fundamentals covers the building blocks of Python, including the basic programming skills individuals within the tech field use every day. Python can be applied in a variety of fields including data science. With the number of job postings featuring Python steadily growing, there is no better time to learn this versatile language.
    Refund / Guarantee
    100% of your tuition for this part-time course will be applied as a discount to our Data Science Immersive.
    Desire to learn.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, SQL, CSS, React.js, Front End
    Phoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    Our Software Engineering Immersive bootcamp goes beyond teaching the most in-demand technologies. Teaching Hack Reactor’s rigorous industry-tested software engineering curriculum, our bootcamp emphasizes soft skills and brings together cutting-edge tech like React, ES6 and blockchain with computer science fundamentals. After completing this program, you’ll be prepared to understand new tech languages, libraries and frameworks.
    We partner Climb and Skills Fund for students who need help financing their tuition.
    Yes, we work with lending partners.
    Advanced Beginner

- 6/23/2017
    Will Johnson

Far and away the best experience in education I've had the pleasure of experience. Thanks to their rigorous interviewing and prep process, every student is brilliant, tenacious, and dedicated to learning more. The instructors are even more so. The environment is collaborative too. We were constantly tapping on each other's shoulders asking for a little help here or there, and never once was anyone annoyed or unhelpful. I can't recommend this more. Whether you're an experienced data analyst or a bright graduate looking to up their skill level, this program is fantastic. I can't recommend this more to anyone looking at upping their skills in data science.

• Chris • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate

Galvanize web development immersive is for the people who truly want to learn. The instructors go a great job guiding you throught the thick woods and mountainous terrain of web development, and they really know their stuff. But they won't hold your hand. The best way to get the most out of your time there is by keeping up with the curriculum, and finding extra ways on your own to build on what you have learned. Cultivate your own natural curiousity. Galvanize web dev teaches Node.js/JavaScript, but my cohort had several people do projects in Swift, and pretty much everyone used some large framework or library that wasn't part of the curriculum. If you're ready to take the plunge and do a mixture of instruction and self learning, Galvanize is an atmosphere that will enable you to go very far.

• Darren Hankins • Graduate

I feel Galvanize is more of a complete learning eco-system than a school. Galvanize's primary focus is on learning and building technical skills. In the process howerver, relationships and soft skills are developed as well. From creating projects to giving tech talks to networking with actual businesses in the building, I feel its been a great springboard for preparing me for a job in the tech industry.

• Not good at all
    - 3/29/2017
    No job No money • graduate • Student

Terrible experience.  Tyler good.  Rob bad Parker bad.  Instructors not care about students and leave early even if you struggling.  Program poorly designed and almost all students waste of money.  Past cohort try to warn me not to come but I did not listen.  Career service helpful but it difficult to get job when not prepared.  Job statistics seem like lie.  We told by instructor past cohort all have jobs but this not true.  They tell me.  15 person start our cohort and only 10 finish.  Out of 10, I guess 5-7 will get job.  91% seem like lie when you look at this in front of your face.  Not good at all.

• Beth • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate

Like most things in life, you get out what you put in and this program is no different. The curriculum, the instructor staff, the projects are all designed to take you as far as you can push yourself to go.

As others have said, I also put in 20-30 hours a week outside of the core classroom time and I'm glad for every bit of it.  I wanted to be successful at this.  I wasn't just looking for a new job, I wanted to recreate myself and start building a career around being an effective sofware developer.

What I appreciate most about the curriculum is that it's more than the typical "here's a standard stack, let's learn it".  I loved being immersed in both back and front end development, but more than that I appreciated also being tossed into unfamiliar environments.  We got very comfortable at being uncomfortable.  Knowing that even if we hadn't learned what we were working with, we had the skills to figure it out.

So when I started my first job as a software engineer and I was put in front of a codebase that was written in both Coffeescript and Typescript (I only knew vanilla javascript), the database was Mongo (where I had only seen Postgres), the front end was Angular 1.2 (where we had learned on 1.6) I still was able to release new functionality to prod on day 3.

Galvanize taught us those skills.  It was not just about which languages, frameworks or libraries to use, but also how to learn.  How to be effective at troubleshooting.  How to plan and break down work into approachable pieces of a larger solution.

I appreciate the instructors for not taking it easy on us. They brought their best every day and expected the same from each of us, pushing us to be better and better, knowing that we could.  I'm also glad they never slowed down the pace because in this industry, things move fast and there's really no choice but to keep up.

• Lisa • Student

I’ve been immersed in some of the “top” education available for tech since middle school. I struggled to fit into an education system that demanded mastery of a concept, but provided no motivation to master said concept due to lack of application. It also discouraged people who were maybe a little more right-brained or allotted brain power to wondering about the application of learned concepts to projects, etc. Therefore, the standard for succeeding in the tech industry meant fitting a specific, stereotypical brand of “tech nerd”.

Galvanize was a platform that proved all of this wrong. It is a 6-month intensive boot camp where people from all walks of life come together and enter the tech world by building full-stack web apps. By promoting a collaborative and supportive environment, we all learn together that it is by being open-source as a community that technology really becomes something more. Programming ultimately is just a tool. It isn’t some unattainable skill that only introverted tech prodigies are able to master.

The people who will thrive in this program are those who embrace this philosophy that knowledge is that much more powerful when it’s open-source and everyone is able to bring something different to the table. If you are someone who is looking to level-up their life, Galvanize is the program for you. All you need is to be thirsty for knowledge and always be learning from those around you. Understand that what you’ll be gaining is a true understanding of the importance of community in tech and the confidence that whatever seemingly “unattainable” skill there is in the stereotypical image of the tech world is something you can achieve.

• Ali • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated from a university in 2012 with a bachelors in psychology and no clear career path. After a few years of traveling and exploring graduate school options for psychology, I decided I wanted to take a completely different route. I found a love for coding and spent 2 months researching ways to learn how to be a developer. I compared many different options including 4 year degrees, online schools, teaching myself, and bootcamps style schools. I discovered Galvanize in the spring of 2016 and was accepted into the program beginning that summer.

I cannot say enough good things about my experience at Galvanize. The instruction team consisted of highly knowledgable, experienced, and passionate teachers. The entire education team at Galvanize cared about every students' success. They truly wanted to help us succeed in the course and after. Their career team and curriculum is not only focused on getting you that first job, but setting up your long term career path.

I graduated from the web-imerssive program in mid-January 2017 and was offered a job 2 weeks later. My salary is above the Galvanize graduate average and I am incredibly happy at my job. My work-life balance is amazing and I am learning more everyday. I am so happy I went to Galvanize and highly recommend it to anyone looking to become a developer.

• Amy Briggs • Associate Software Developer • Graduate

I attended the Full-Stack Web Development Immersive at Galvanize-Boulder, and graduated in mid-January.  Prior to Galvanize, I'd spent 4-5 months self-studying with some basic HTML, CSS, and Javascript via online resources.  The onboarding process for my g32 cohort was smooth; we received the pre-course work (about 40 hours' worth) about a month in advance of our August 1 start date.
    The pace for the program is fast; a lot of material is covered in lectures and assignments, and even the fastest students in my cohort sometimes struggled to keep up. The upside of this is that we covered an impressive amount of subject matter in a (relatively) short 6 months.  I found the second and third quarters most challenging, as I had not had much prior experience with Node.js, data bases, and the back end.  I loved the end-of-quarter projects; especially working on small teams to create full-scale applications with tools that we had just learned (like Angular.js).  I worked hard in this program and put in a lot of hours; at least an additional 20 hours per week, aside from the 40 hours in class.
    Our instruction was top-notch; my cohort was particularly fortunate, as we had one lead instructor, one associate instructor, and two residents for 15 students.  Our lead instructor had 17 years of experience as a developer and many years as CTO of different startups.  His fluency with the material was important, as the associate instructor and residents were more recent graduates of Galvanize cohorts.
    The main piece of constructive criticism I have is with the curriculum, which had some flaws and gaps (in particular the Angular curriculum).  These were being corrected during our program, and I imagine they are now not an issue.  We were always encouraged to explore outside resources, which makes sense, as material changes and more becomes available at a rapid rate.
    I feel extremely fortunate to have accepted a job as an associate software developer within a week of graduating from the program.  I now work for a Boulder startup, on a two-person development team, with our CTO.  Our stack is relatively new to me, but I feel that Galvanize prepared me extremely well to be able to learn and implement new technologies quickly.  The program was extremely challenging, but I feel that it was absolutely worth it.

• Jeannie • Student

Where to begin...
    I did a lot of research on Austin code schools before I applied to Galvanize. I'd attended one of Galvanize's info sessions and was "that" person who asked all the tough questions. Scott, the program director, answered all of them graciously in detail, and I suspected from that night I may have a good experience at Galvanize.

Fast forward six months. I graduate tomorrow, and while I'm excited to go out and get a job (and have already informally been offered two, by the way), leaving Galvanize as a student will definitely be bittersweet. Besides the remarkable cohesion and synergy of my cohort, the technical learning experiences have been the most & fastest I've ever learned in any academic program...ever.
    (Coming from a former school teacher) The main instructor for our particular cohort, Zubair, is not only hilarious, but, as one of my classmates put it, "a pedagogical savant." He's somehow made things like complicated computer science algorithms actually fun to learn, and he's got loads of experience in the industry coupled with business wisdom. And, by the way, the tech recruiter from Google who attended our career day was impressed that we'd even studied various computer science concepts in the first place.

We also had Oli and Louis, associate instructors, with our cohort for the duration of the program. Both are sweet, helpful, have put in extra hours to help me or classmates with coursework, and bring a variety of skills and prior industry experience to the table.

Galvanize's support/career services are also top-notch. Nicole, career services person, has gone out of her way to help me on multiple occasions. She helps with interview and job search advice, books guest speakers, organizes events...the student success person, Jessica, also held a survey with students once per quarter about our overall experience, and the feedback we gave her seemed like near-immediate implementations. I could go on...even the facilities staff at Galvanize is friendly and helpful.

I chose Galvanize because of its six-month plan, knowing I'd need some time to both have a life in the evenings and complete my homework properly, and it's surely been the right decision, as we had the time to go much deeper into concepts than I've heard my friends from other code schools have.

I will say if you’re not willing to commit to the necessary hours of practice and grit, this program may not be for you, as it's not easy to master, nor should it appear as such. I did struggle a bit with concepts at the beginning, but then again, that's probably standard at any level of programming and I never felt unsupported or alone. By the third quarter of the cohort, some kind of new confidence had arrived when I was able to look back at even a few weeks prior and identify the immense amount of knowledge that had soaked in since, and at that point began building with technologies and libraries that had never been explicitly taught to me. Galvanize does publish its intended curriculum, which seems to be equivalent to or more comprehensive than most of the other ATX code schools, but I feel as though I could learn and use any technology out there at this point.

Every single person in our cohort successfully used an unfamiliar new technology that was not explicitly taught in the curriculum to build our capstone projects, and it's because Galvanize delivered on its promise of teaching us to "learn to learn." Overall, I highly recommend this program and have been trying to evangelize my friends to enroll for months...

• Chad Latham • Front End Engineer • Graduate

Galvanize provides an unparalleled experience. Locating the school inside a tech startup/meetup space creates an immersive experience where students are exposed to hundreds of professionals in the field.The curriculum at Galvanize is outstanding with very up to date information, practices, and opportunities to delve deeply into related material, libraries, or frameworks. Like anything in life, you get out of the experience what you put in. Look at the time with Galvanize as a major investment in your life, and you will receive a steadfast partner in making your dreams a reality. But, do not take this lightly as you are ultimately responsible for building your new life.

The format is a code-along experience where topics are explained in lecture format while you are coding and trying out each concept as it's presented. The instructors constantly check to make sure that people are getting the concepts and tutors assist those who need it with minimal impact on the pace of moving forward. This is not a school where they teach to the lowest common denominator. Those who are struggling will have to spend extra time to catch up but will be given all the assistance they need to do so. At the end of each day, a project is assigned that reinforces the daily code alongs and allows you to truly lock in the material. At the end of each quarter, a project is assigned that builds on the topics of that quarter and all quarters before it. When you leave the program, you have many projects, notes files, and working programs to use as examples for your future career.

I highly recommend the program for anyone who is motivated and willing to make the sacrifices necessary to change their lives.

• Changed my life
    - 1/4/2017
    Paulo • Graduate

I was part of cohort 13 that graduated on July 2016 in the San Francisco campus.

Galvanize was life changing for me. It was extremely intense, but it transformed my career. My background is in business strategy and entrepreneurship and now I am a data scientist working with AI and deep learning for security in less than a year!

I studied using their guide materials for about 2-3 months before applying and took a few Coursera classes on Machine Learning as an introduction. The selection process to Galvanize was challenging for me due to the lack of programming and stats skills, it consisted of 1 challenge and 2 interviews.

They offered a week 0 before the program started just focusing on Python that was amazing for me! It helped me get ready and feel more confident in programming. The summary of the Data Science Immersive is: the learning curve is very fast, and the difficult level is always the same, meaning that you learn a lot but always feel like you can barely make it and absorb everything. In the end I feel that was the biggest lesson: they thought me how to learn and how to do it fast.

In general, the instructors were great! There is a weekly constant feedback loop and they are extremely responsive. I put as feedback one time that I was struggling with the math because I am a visual learner and two days later our main instructor approached me to understand better and on the following day all lectures were more visual - truly amazing!

What I wish I knew before: I was expecting to find a job easily since data science is so hot and there's a lot of demand. Job hunting is hard. Looking at "95% placement rate in 6 months" sounds easy. Applying to jobs constantly and networking and keep learning for 6 months is very intense. Don't expect magic. But luckily Galvanize also offer us career counseling, they were the best! They coached us individually, and organized career meetups for alumni every week to brush up our skills, practice whiteboarding, coding, interview questions, exchange best strategies, etc. But still, "data science" is a huge broad field. Companies that have data scientist positions open sometimes want an Excel number cruncher, while others need a very specific industry experience, etc. Keep going: I had to do 186 job applications to receive the offer I wanted.

Finally, I wasn't expecting my collegues to be that awesome. There were people ranging from 24 to 62 years old, from undergrads to PhDs, from business background like myself to aerospace engineering. And we all struggled together, bonded, and learned a lot from each other strenghts and weekness.

Overall, I highly recommend the program, it truly changed my life and career. Using the same mental models I learned there I kept going deeper in deep learning (pun intended) and got a job in AI. I will always be grateful for Galvanize for making me start confidently a cycle of constant learning in a world full of data.

• Anatoly Pavlov • Data Scientist • Graduate

Galvanize is a BootCamp which is a type of educational institution. It is organized in a different way than a conventional collage or university. Its educational program oriented to teach theoretical part of data science in very quick way, so that students will learn only what is necessary to move on to the next step in leaning. The next step is hands-on practical experience when students lean how to use what they leaned in class by implementing it in practice. I would say that it is highly important to do as much as possible pre-course work yourself and even try to go beyond. The program is short, 12 weeks, and very intensive, so that even if you have background in one of the STEM fields, you still need to put a lot of effort into the data science immersive program. If your background is not one of the STEM fields I would say that you might consider to join master of data science program at Galvanize U instead of data science immersive.

The learning atmosphere at Galvanize is pretty non-formal, instructors are easy to approach and ask for any help student needs in understanding the material, the amount of time instructors spend with each student one on one is probably the greatest if compared to conventional collages.

Galvanize provides great support to students in the job search after graduation. This is the place where a student will find a lot of direct connections with employers in many companies, including the ones that are at the top in their fields of industry.

Overall, if you are planing on switching your career to data scientist and you feel like you need some training, I would definitely recommend to obtain that training from Galvanize.

- 12/7/2016
    Richard Beese • Student

I am only 4 weeks into the Galvanize full stack Web Development program and I love it.  I knew it was going to be an intense learning experience, but I had no idea I would have learned so much so soon.  The instructors are great at giving you IT knowledge but also at keeping you from panicking from the intensity and being overwhelmed.  At the end of the week they ask us what we've learned this week, and when they list it on the board, we are awed that we learned something only on Monday, when it seems like we've had that knowledge for much longer.  I alread feel like I can do some pretty cool things and we're only just starting.  I've also talked to a lot of people from the other classes who are much further along than our cohort, and they are just as thrilled about the program as we are.  There are some things that don't work for us, but they have a daily feedback and incorporate changes to accomodate those needs the very next day.  It is a fantastic learning environment, but it is intense.

• Emma • Data Scientist • Graduate

Let's get started by talking a little bit about my background. I am a woman from Asia with a Master Degree in Mathematics and Computer Science. Before coming to Galvanize, I am an independent researcher in Machine Learning and Cognitive Science. I curate online content from open source and education sites to gain more knowledge as well as serve for my purpose of seeking knowledge. The reason why I come to Galvanize is to upgrade my technical ability in Data Science and expand my network in Tech Community in Bay Area.

I think most of you guys when deciding to go to a Bootcamp is to get a job or transfer into Tech Industry for a higher salary. Well, it would be a good motivation but lack of thoughtful considerations. How do you define a good job? Are you gonna like it because of a reward, not the fulfillment? Do you believe that three months of an intensive practice would make you a competent worker for an entry level with a salary of 100k+++? Do you believe that you are really a genius to master a whole bunch of things which are supposed to learn and pratice in many years?

Let me tell the ugly truth.

No, no, no ....NO!

Never ever believe any body tell you that kind of guarantee to make decisions.

Learning is an accumulative experience. Depending on how you absorb knowledge, slow and analytical, fast and responsive, you have your own way. Three months are never enough for you to make yourself as an expert, however, it is enough for your to establish a habit and a mindset to prepare for a job search.  So, how do you really get those after three months? You need a curriculum to know right things, instruction to do right things and enviroment to find the right resources and reinforce all of those.

Everyday at Galvanize we have two main sessions to learn with lectures and practices. Those basically tell you some of the most should-to-know things and enhance it by working with the others. But what I would like to point out is that the structure of curriculum is very well-organized and practical. Plus, it is contributed by many students and members which allows you do and play around on top of new things. Congrats, you have the newest map and you won't get lost!

The program is indeed quite fast and intensive In Galvanize. So we do have assessments to evaluate students, however, the main purpose is to help determine who we should pay more attention to support than the others, like more practices or more assessed reviews customized by observations from instructors to help you improve your ability. They are also there when you need help to understand a problem. However, not so trivial problems which you can Google by yourself. But they are really there when you need. I still remember the day we learn about technology like clustering computing with Spark, one of my instructors stay all day to help us set up things and answer all questions. I know some of them staying late to spend time on discussing how to help students, which I appriciate very much.

Finally, one of the last things I have to mention about Galvanize is that this is not school. Though partcipants in a program are called students, but actually, we are members of a learning community. We work together and we share knowledge while practicing and helping each others. Not only students in a cohort, but instructors, other students from other cohorts, career service staffs, or other people with whom have a chance to share your experience. That is a true network, not a group of people you socialize at some meet-ups when bragging about what you (might) do. They are really great and gonna help you much after you graduate.

Update: Right after graduate I did get an offer from a start-up, which is also a member of Galvanize Community. Since I am an international applicant and do not stay in the states, I still receive some support from career service. Keep in mind that, to get a 100k+++ salary or a good match, you might need to apply over hundreds companies in a couple of months to get 3-4 job offers relatively. It is quite painful and time-consuming but gonna help you grow a lot AFTER three months. Good luck!

• Data Science
    - 12/2/2016
    Joyce Rigelo • Data Scientist / Applied Mathematician • Graduate

My experience at Galvanize was above and beyond my expectations. The program covers a great deal of what you’ll need as a Data Scientist. The instructors are way better than in academia (I know that may not say much...). They are super smart (also in how to teach a topic) and they care about their students. The lead instructor brought some of his Data/Computer Science industry experience to the program which was a great plus. I am very pleased with the amount of experience I acquired with all the individual programming and pair programing Galvanize offers, and the environment helps so much mastering it (all the help we can get from each other and instructors from 9:30am to 6pm for 3 months). It was such great investment for my career!

Galvanize is having a hard time finding qualified enough people to join the program (specially the level of programming skills required to pass the entrance exams). That is why now they also offer a 8 weeks on just Python programming (twice a week at night), and the money invested on that can go towards the Data Science immersive after. Such a great idea to solve the need of have students starting with already a good level of programming to be able to survive the course and keep the high quality of the immersive.

• Valerie • Software Engineer (FE) • Graduate

I finally reached the end of my tolerance of not having a fulfilling career. After considering many different paths, I landed on software engineering. Galvanize was suggested to me by someone who worked in the building, who witnessed firsthand the transformation the students were going through.

Expect to work. This learning environment is simultaneously approachable and challenging. You make friends. You push yourself in terms of how much information you can absorb in a set period of time. I had a great time getting back into a classroom and getting to focus on this one topic for six months instead of trying to learn in my free time. I don't know that I would have ever felt confident enough to apply for a "real dev job" without a program like this.

The classroom is energetic. The instructors push themselves to keep current with the market and provide timely content to students. Each instructor has an interesting value add, whether it be game development, serious front-end chops, or devops interests.

They also provide job hunt assistance, in the form of getting your online presence in order for the job hunt process, resume & cover letter help. They also get students in front of potential employers as much as they can while maintaining a sustainable pipeline for students.

I am super glad that I did the Galvanize Full Stack (now Web Development) program. I am proud of how much I've "leveled up" this year.

• Sarah • Graduate

Galvanize surpassed my expectations. I joined because I knew that I wanted to be able to build applications. Going into the program I had only a little bit of exposure to/experience with programming.

Galvanize provides access to thousands of github repos, which are essentially thousands of mini-applications that you can access to build, practice on and learn from.

It is a bootcamp, it is intensive and you will get what you put into it. So the more hours you can dedicate to programming throughout the course, the better. Don’t expect that this is a 9a – 5p program.

Each of the instructors really cared about our success with the material and often went above and beyond to work with us. They stayed late, listened to feedback and had patience. That said, they were also good at simply being realistic about the fact that they are there to help you learn how to learn - on your own. They will not give you all of the answers and you are expected to struggle – because when you leave the program they earnestly want you to be able to manage continuous learning on your own from that point forward.

The range of how much prior experience each student had coming in was very wide. Some of us had next to zero experience, while others had several years of industry experience and a CS degree. All of the students I knew from my cohort and the other cohorts were very supportive and Galvanize does a really good job of creating/fostering community.

• Ryan • Student

Being from a college town, Galvanize was incredibly overhyped. My analytics professors swore this would be better than my current classes and the programming here is "top notch." While the teachers were all great, the people in charge of Galvanize are a hot mess. There were multiple miscommunications about which classes were being offered, it took me two months to be registered in the right class, and the people in charge were downright rude to me the entire time. I really didn't feel like that was warranted since the mistake was on their end. My Hack CU friends were going to take classes here as well, but I will be suggesting they look elsewhere where college students aren't treated like second class citizens. They'll never care if they see this though, they only care about your money! Oh well Galvanize, you fooled me! Lesson learned the hard way. The instructors were good, but everyone in charge at my location needs to be fired. What a mess.

• Sarah • Technical Operations Engineer • Graduate

Galvanize will forever hold a most special place in my heart. I am so proud to be a part of the Galvanize community after going through this program. The level of instruction is unmatched and the support from the staff, instructors, and fellow students is beyond belief. I would do it all over again if I could - I could not have asked for a better experience in learning and growing.

• Michael • Web Developer • Graduate

One of THE BEST programs I have been a part of. The amount of information that I learned during the course and retained is unbelievable. I went into the program with some HTML and CSS experience and I tried to learn as much JavaScript as possible before the course started. This course truly is a rocket ship into programming.

Instructors- We had 4 instructors at the beginning of the course. 1 instructor ended up going to another classroom to teach but then we were given 2 more top of the line instructors for 26 students. All the instructors are very knowledgeable and have several years under their belt with programming and teaching.

Galvanize also has an instructional team that develops the course and structures what the students learn in regards to what is trending in the job market. This team would sit in on the class to make sure the teachers were affective with their teaching style and make changes if needed.

Students - all the students are there to learn and to do their best. It was not unusual to see students working at 7 am and stay until 10 or 11 at night. The students all come from a different background but are brilliant, outgoing, critical thinkers. I believe that in my cohort all the students had at least a Bachelors degree and some had their Masters.

Platte St. Campus - Is a place you want to spend all of your time at. This became a home away from home. The entire basement is for the students with a full kitchen, study pods, conference rooms, and class rooms. The rest of the 4 story building can be utilized as well. There is a gym, kitchens on the other floors, a barista on the 4th floor with a keg and also plenty of white board tables to study on. There are always events happening at the campus with free food, talks, networking events, and drinks. I have met many business owners just being at Galvanize including the owner of Comedy Works as well as American Furniture Warehouse. The basements where the classrooms are at have snacks and fresh fruit that is stocked in the kitchen 2x a day.

Kelly Kawa - Student Success - will meet all of your needs and is someone that makes your experience at Galvanize one of the best.

Career Assistance - Galvanize has a career service team as well as companies that they partner with to place students. Several people get placed into these companies which are very well known corporations. The career service team not only helps place students but also helps with interviewing, whiteboarding, resumes, and are ALSO available after you graduate and have office hours two times a week.

I recently graduated a few days ago and joined a startup as well as took a freelance job. While I am working on these two projects I am interviewing for a full time position.

I would highly recommend EVERYTHING about the program, the teachers, and the staff.

If you are interested in applying and have more questions - molson303@gmail.com

Michael

• Bradford Lamson-Scribner • Software Developer • Graduate

I was accepted into the Full Stack Web Immersive program in November of 2015. I spent around 6 months (still working full-time and living in Florida) trying to learn as much as I could before starting the program in April 2016. I believe there was a direct correlation between the time I spent before the program started and how much I was able to learn during.

Right from the beginning of class I was impressed with the structure and cirriculum. Software languages, frameworks, tools, processes, etc RAPIDLY change and Galvanize does an excellent job with staying current. That's one of the things I noticed right away that was different from a traditional education - they can change the cirriculum and content on the drop of a dime while a conventional college can't. So while that got got hectic and wasn't perfect, they did a great job. The instructors I had were some of the best all around people I've ever met: Kyle Coberly (Lead Instructor), Danny Fritz (Associate Instructor), CJ Reynolds (Associate Instructor), Roberto Ortega (Associate Instructor), and Elana Kopelevich (Full Stack Resident). Notice that's 5 instructors to our cohort of 25 students which was a good ratio.

The class was VERY fast-paced and difficult. I will say that if you are thinking about coming into this because it looks like a shorter or "easier" way to get into software development, that is not the case. It took extreme dedication and endless long days to make it through. The reality is that learning full-stack development in 6 months is colossal task. One of the most important things was I learned to learn.

Galvanize offered far more than the in-class learning hours. The Platte campus where I studied is a four-story coworking space. Tons of start-ups and even larger companies rent space within. Pivotal Labs takes up the entire second floor. Basically what I'm getting at is the networking and opportunities were unbeatable. They hosted multiple events on a weekly basis where I was able to get to know the community better. The culture was awesome.

Another piece that made the Web Immersive program stand out was they offered a career services portion of the cirriculum. We worked on our resumes, LinkedIn accounts, did mock interviews, whiteboarding, etc. They really blended us right into the dev community.

I got an offer a few weeks before the program ended and now work as a Software Developer. Clearly it was a life changing decision for me. You will get out of it what you put in. If it's something that sounds like a good fit, I highly recommend Galvanize.

• Tyler Rozboril • Software Developer • Graduate

The experience was amazing. Teachers were great. I made lifelong friends, and got the tools I needed to begin my career as a Web Developer. I am currently coding in different languages than we learned at Galvanize, but the initial training was all it took for me to have the skills and know how to learn and adapt to my environment.

Every offer I've recieved has been more than 80k per year, with full benifits.

This was worth every penny, I'd do it again in a heart beat.

• kt • Front-End Engineer • Graduate

I rated Galvanize SF's fullstack program highly because I got everything I wanted from it, with greater results than expected. It doesn't disappoint because I knew what my minimum expectations were for a bootcamp, what I wanted out of it (aside from a new career/job), and made a well-researched decision to attend this 6 month program.

Learning and career transitioning cannot be done in a one-size-fits-all approach. By documenting my experiences and observations, I empower you to judge whether or not Galvanize SF's Fullstack program is best for your learning style, your career transition plan, and your life situation.

Here is a summary of what most people wanted to know from me up to this point.

Who is Galvanize Fullstack for:

- People who value sleeping at least 6 hours. I transitioned from the healthcare field and health is important to me. I don't think my friends in 3-4 month bootcamps prioritize their well-being as highly as I do. Three quarters into their curriculum, they look pretty awful and sickly to me. On top of that, Galvanize has break weeks to help prevent burnout and allow those who fell behind to catch up. I found this very helpful and used my time to learn new skills.

- Disciplined people willing to work past dinnertime to finish assignments and polish their projects. The majority of assignments won't have you staying up past midnight, but you can't attend classes like a regular University, where you just need to do the bare minimum for your letter grade. The effort you put in will have exponential results.

- People who value 1:1 interaction with the lead instructors. When I asked various bootcamp students from other schools about their student-teacher ratios and 1:1 interactions, they told me they're "really paying thousands of dollars to be put in a room to learn with 20-30 other amazing people". They might see it as a selling point. I don't. For the money I'm paying, I want ample opportunity to ask for insights from knowledgeable, experienced engineers with strong fundamentals.

- People who enjoy a flexible program and freedom of choice. In my experience, the first three months consisted of JS web dev fundamentals and was highly structured. After the first three months, my instructors insisted we all dip our toes into the job pool because we already knew enough to get hired (true). The last three months is focused on making yourself market-ready and a higher-in-demand developer. 4th month is where you start feeling the pressure because lectures will be shorter and the instructors will allow you to focus on whatever will most benefit you during your job search. After all, your goal, the program's goal, and the instructors' goal is to get you a job. Some people used this time to start to build portfolio pieces. Some back-end people focused on codewars and extra time with datastructures and algorithms. Some front-end people spent time bettering their CSS skills or polishing the CSS of past team projects. Despite the stress and uncertainty of picking your own adventure, I really enjoyed being able to choose what I wanted to do and tailor the experience to what I needed. This sounds like self-study, but having the ability to check-in with instructors several times a day really helped me streamline my supplemental learning to help reach my career goals.

- Self-starters. Example: people who want to gain insights from instructors and apply their skills towards side passion projects during break weeks. During the second break week, I created a pure JavaScript Google Chrome Extension for vision therapy after 2 months in Galvanize! And so could you.

Who is Galvanize Fullstack NOT for:

- People who won't approach instructors or other students when in need of help. The instructor help is the program's greatest resource. Their real world production experience makes all the difference. Sure, you should learn to lookup Stack Overflow and Google first, but don't get too crazy. When you're so junior, you have to know when to stop going down all the rabbitholes and ask for some direction.

- People that just want to do the bare minimum to not get kicked out the program. Your skills and portfolio just won't be job ready in time. Well, maybe within 6 months after the program.

- People who are not inclined to make their education their #1 priority will fall behind and have serious issues catching up, even with break weeks. I've seen people with side jobs fall behind and struggle to catchup. Galvanize is a fulltime commitment.

Suggestions for the Galvanize's interview process:

- Study beginner JavaScript. That's the basis of all modern web development. Galvanize will teach you everything from scratch, HOWEVER going through a single beginner's JavaScript book will prepare you far beyond the not-so-selective application process and give you a good idea if coding is for you

Suggestions for getting the most out of Galvanize Fullstack before start date:

- Same as above. JavaScript, JavaScript, JavaScript. Code along through 1-3 JavaScript beginner books and you'll be so much more ready to take on the higher level concepts. The more you know before coming into the program, the more you will excel and grow as a result, and the more you stand out from the regular bootcamp crowd. I can't stress this enough.

Suggestions for getting the most out of Galvanize Fullstack during the program:

- Base your projects on technologies you hope to use upon graduating. You can attract companies that use those technologies. Companies that had data visualization features in their product, were interested in me on hiring day because I showcased a d3 dashboard.

- Build a side project in a field you're interested in or hoping to get hired in. Shows passion and interest, but most importantly shows that you're a self starter with the capacity to learn new things on your own. Companies were impressed by the fact that I used one of my break weeks to create a Google Chrome Extension.

- Polish your previous projects or assignments to build a job seeker's portfolio as you go. Or build side projects to accomplish the same goal.

- If you're interested in back-end: learn to build apps with test driven development and get those datastructures and algorithms down pat.

- If you're interested in front-end: React and Angular are easy if your JavaScript fundamentals are strong. CSS is what makes or breaks your enthusiasm for front-end. Don't rely on Twitter Bootstrap for every project. Anyone can master it in a day, and if you can only do BootStrap on the front end, you will only get hired by companies using BootStrap. Learn how to implement your own grid system using positioning and floats, and then learn how to use the newish native grid system, Flexbox. Going without a CSS framework will teach you how to master CSS.

- Put your resume out early (3 months) and start interviewing, so you can fail fast and get early feedback from the extensive support offered at Galvanize: soft skills coaching, negotiation practice, technical/whiteboarding interview practice with instructors, etc. A lot of these amazing career-support opportunities are available by appointment, so you have to know what you want to focus your afternoons on.

That's about it. If you follow these guidelines as I did, you'll probably think Galvanize Fullstack is a 5 star program too.

• Steve • IoT Node.js Developer • Graduate

My time at Galvanize SoMa (South of Market, San Francisco) has been life changing. The program provided an environment not only condusive to learning code, but also for networking with startups and leaders in Tech. We were regularly asked to give 100% and rewarded for those efforts with increased confidence, building wide mixers, hackathons, community lunches and a number of weekly events.

I came to the program having prepared thoroughly--I recommend focusing on JS--but found it hadn't prepared me for how thorough and rigorous the course was. One of the things I really appreciated about the experience was my instructors emphasis on not only understanding how something worked but why and what was happening under the hood.

They also paid particular attention to soft skills and the job hunting process. I felt the career services team was proactive in my job hunting process providing me with leads and a job interview with a startup in the building. We were also provided with one on one and small group sessions to discuss the obstacles we faced and ideas to overcome them. I was grateful for the opportunity to vent and be heard.

In the end I would recommend Galvanize to anyone who genuinely wants to be successful in tech and is willing to work hard for it. They will help realize your potential by pushing you to push yourself.

I can proudly say I'm now two weeks away from my first day at a company I'm excited to be apart of with a salary more than three times that of my previous and it's due in part to my time at Galvanize SoMa.

• Anna VM • Data Scientist

in short: loved it! well worth the investment!

more detailled overview: I tried to underline the points I remember being curious about

material: you wallk out of there with a strong grasp of machine learning algorithms. there are tests to help you check your understanding

*instructors: great team, they are available to talk one on one or with a smaller group if you have questions

*campus: perfect place to work (I studied there many weekends too)

*cohort: great mix of people, all motivated, from various background. You spend quite a lot of time programming in pairs, so you really get to know the others

*capstone projects: great few days when you get to use everything you learned. We are split up in smaller groups (with an instructor to coordinate) and give each other feedback.

*post graduation: meet-up every week to help you stay focused and organized. We all share interview experience, practice whiteboarding, etc... Extremely useful!

NB: be ready to work, the more you do so the more you get out of it! I studied most evenings and most week ends.