galvanize-logo

Galvanize

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Denver, Fort Collins, London, Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle

Galvanize

Galvanize offers a 13-week full-time and a 26-week part-time data science bootcamp, as well as Hack Reactor's 12-week JavaScript coding bootcamp in Austin, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City. The data science bootcamp covers Python, SQL, and Hadoop. The software engineering bootcamp covers full stack JavaScript including AngulaJS, Node.js, and Express.js.

Candidates are advised to submit their applications 6 weeks before the course start date to leave enough time to complete the admissions process. For the Data Science Immersive, students should ideally have experience in Python programming, math, statistics, and probability, and must complete a technical exercise, and two technical interviews. For the Software Engineering Immersive, students must learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as part of the admissions process prep work, and show admissions staff that they can solve problems like an engineer through a technical interview.

By integrating education and industry, Galvanize puts learning and working side by side. Galvanize aims to teach students the skills and concepts they need to make an impact in a new career, or improve their skills at their current gig. As well as immersive bootcamps, Galvanize also offers short courses, workshops, and events.

Recent Galvanize Reviews: Rating 4.49

all (176) reviews for Galvanize →

Recent Galvanize News

Read all (70) articles about Galvanize →
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Python, SQL
    Phoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    In just 13 weeks, you'll learn the tools, techniques, and fundamental concepts you need to know to make an impact as a data scientist. During the course of the program, you'll work through messy, real-world data sets to gain experience across the data science stack: data munging, exploration, modeling, validation, visualization, and communication.
    We partner with Climb and Skills Fund for students who need help financing their tuition.
    Yes, we work with lending partners.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Yes, as per contract
    We offer scholarships based on merit, demonstrated financial need, and increasing participation in technology among underrepresented groups such as women, veterans, minorities, and people who identify as LGBT.
    Prior experience in coding Python, math & stats is needed.
    Take Home Technical on Python & Stats challenges
  • Python Fundamentals

Data Science, Python
    Denver, Phoenix, Austin, Seattle, Boulder
    Python Fundamentals covers the building blocks of Python, including the basic programming skills individuals within the tech field use every day. Python can be applied in a variety of fields including data science. With the number of job postings featuring Python steadily growing, there is no better time to learn this versatile language.
    Refund / Guarantee
    100% of your tuition for this part-time course will be applied as a discount to our Data Science Immersive.
    Desire to learn.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, SQL, CSS, React.js, Front End
    Phoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    Our Software Engineering Immersive bootcamp goes beyond teaching the most in-demand technologies. Teaching Hack Reactor’s rigorous industry-tested software engineering curriculum, our bootcamp emphasizes soft skills and brings together cutting-edge tech like React, ES6 and blockchain with computer science fundamentals. After completing this program, you’ll be prepared to understand new tech languages, libraries and frameworks.
    We partner Climb and Skills Fund for students who need help financing their tuition.
    Yes, we work with lending partners.
    Advanced Beginner

• Ronald T.  User Photo
    Ronald T. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I took a lot of time to do my due diligence when selecting a bootcamp.  I had to stay in Seattle and I knew an online bootcamp would not be ideal for my learning style, so my options were a little more limited.  I checked out every single one, in person.  Even after all of that work and effort, Galvanize only barely looked better than the rest.  Their campus was nicer and the people seemed great but they were the most expensive.

In the end, I have no regrets with my choice.  Galvanize was worth the extra money.  I feel like I learned things permanently and was able to apply my knowledge to real world applications.  My instructors were Wes and Roger.  I feel like I got lucky because getting two lead instructors is rare.  On top of that, both Wes's and Roger's teaching styles fit my learning style great.  I have 0 complaints about the instructors and feel that these two really put my experience above expectations.

The curriculumn was a little clunky.  My cohort was the first of a new curriculumn, so there were a lot of bugs and errors.  The students were the ones that discovered a lot of these errors.  Additionally, the curriculumn was not standardized between writers.  This largely came into play near the end of the course, where the content suddenly became very dense and hard to absorb.  Despite these downsides, I still enjoyed the program.

The non-instructor personel were very friendly and helpful.  They frequently solicited feedback and I felt like they genuinely cared about the students.  It also seemed like they were always available for us.

In the end, I got a great job and am very happy with my decision to go to Galvanize.

• Kevin S.  User Photo
    Kevin S. • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was a bit skeptical of the boot camp approach to learning to code, but having just graduated the Galvanize Seattle 6-moth Web Dev immersive, I couldn't be more pleased. The instructors (Wes, Roger, Scott & Charile) and the support staff at this campus are incredible. I could really tell that it was more than a job for them; they seem to be really invested in trying to make the course the best it possibly can be for the students. They are knowledgeable, approachable, willing to listen and go out of their way to help, and have real work experience. The material is thorough (I don't think we could have possibly jammed anything more in, but on the few occassions where any of us got a bit ahead, they had plenty of additional stretch exercises to keep us going). On my last day we tried to write all the topics we covered on a whiteboard and completely filled it (having likely missed a few things). The coursework was a mixture of online lessons (custom designed by the Galvanize staff), lectures, and lab time. It worked out to be a really nice mix. We used real world tools from day one to write and deploy our code and learned a lot from each other. We not only covered the essentials, but also practiced white-boarding (for job interviews) and delved into some of the computer science topics typically left to the university courses (Big-O, search trees, etc.). There's an additional emphasis placed on learning how to learn so that you are more comfortable picking up new topics beyond the scope of the course. So, for example, while we covered JavaScript thoroughly in class, along with frameworks such as BootStrap and React, I also had the opportunity to pick up some Swift on my own. Others in my cohort learned GraphQL, React Native, assembly (to write kernel code for a Raspberry Pi), and numerous other topics during their indepedent study time. A couple more details: Yes, there's a lot of work and you'll work hard, so be prepared for that (but know you'll have a really solid support network from both the teachers and your classmates). No, a job is neither promised nor guaranteed, but they do everything short of that: they help you tune your resume, learn ow to network, what to expect in an interview, bring in guest speakers, and pass along any job openings and connections they become aware of. I'll finish by repeating what I said at the beginning: the staff at a school will make or break your experience, and the Seattle Galvanize Web Dev tem is simply amazing. They made the experience for me.

• Docker Workshop
    - 11/14/2017
    redbarron23  User Photo
    redbarron23 Verified via GitHub

The workshop will cover the following topics:

• A High Level Introduction to Docker and its Current Use in the Industry.
    • Executing Commands and Programs Inside of Docker Containers.
    • Investigating Your Docker Workspace.
    • Understanding Docker Images and Building Your Own.
    • Running Docker Containers Using Docker Compose.
    • Running Development Containers Using Docker Compose.
    • Running Multiple Services During Development Using Docker Compose.
    • Development Database Using Docker Compose
  • Tyler Langenbrunner  User Photo
    Tyler Langenbrunner • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

What they really excel at

* The instructors are superb

No, listen, they're incredible. The level of respect and professionalism was really high, in fact, the instructors were really more like CTOs and project managers, especially in the second half of the program. I have to give a shoutout to Josh Wyatt who was the lead instructor for our cohort, one of the most masterful teachers I’ve worked with. Especially with the small class sizes, it just concentrated the level of support and the quality of teaching. The teachers excel at transparency, really great, direct, thoughtful communication—during lessons, about expectations, industry standards, meet ups, events, etc.

* Great space

It feels much more like an incubator or co-working space rather than a school (in part because it is!). There are a bunch of opportunities to meet people in the space and network, if that kind of thing comes naturally to you. There’s a group that does exercise on the roof once a day, and that was super fun.

* Project-based

There are assessments, but it’s much more structured in terms of building things, and learning the technologies by applying them. This is much more realistic experience

for how the real world is for developers.

* Duration

The program lasts for 6 months, and it was really worth it to stay for longer. I don’t feel like I would have been ready after just 12 weeks like most bootcamps, and I’m no slow learner.

* Full Stack

The program covered frontend legacy technologies like HTML, CSS, jQuery, and simple frameworks like Materialize and Boostrap; we learned backend by writing RESTful APIs using Express and Postgres; we went deep into modern in-demand frontend technology like React and Redux. They really tailor the curriculum based on what’s popular in the area, and iterate form cohort to cohort. Very smart.

Places they could improve

* Scholarships: There are some scholarships, mostly targeting women and minorities, and during my session Adobe was offering one with an internship attached to it. I would like to see more company partnerships like that which provide a clearer path to career after the program.

* Making even better use of the space: One of the great opportunities available at Galvanize is that the campus hosts a bunch of startups and company satellites. it could do more to facilitate connections between companies and students.

My Advice

* Must have coded before

Before the program, you absolutely must have some experience in coding, with either JavaScript or a similar language like Ruby or Python. Take a couple of CodeAcademy courses, watch some YouTube videos (Fun Fun Function, Learn Code Academy, and Taversy Media are all worth checking out). Basic coding skills like familiarity with for-loops and functions, HTML tags, and CSS classes will help you out a lot.

* Be proactive

Be ready and willing to learn. If you want to get the most out of the program, you have to be the kind of person who a lot of questions and is comfortable asking for help. Not a super social person, or an extravert necessarily, just willing to be proactive and connect with other people.

* Learn to learn

What they aim to teach at Galvanize is more than the tools. Rather, they try to help people learn to learn, so that, as they gradually release responsibility from actively helping you on things, you are able to pick up new technologies and work autonomously.

* It’s a big time commitment, but it’s worth it

It’s much more than full time (think 6 days a week or more), but they do deeply care about us, and the dedicate resources to checking in and supporting us.

That’s also in the context of this model which supports people being proactive. It’s very much a “you get out of it what you put into it”.

There are break weeks, and in the first two quarters you can use them for a break, to recharge after working really really hard for 5 weeks, and, in the next two quarters, using them to network, to catch up on career services work, etc.

• Galvanize - PHX
    - 9/25/2017
    Chris  User Photo
    Chris • Student Verified via GitHub

Choosing Galvanize has been a life-changing experience not only in my career but also in my personal life. The instructors and staff here are supportive in everything we do as students and aspiring developers. They are constantly guiding and feeding us the knowledge we don't even know that we need. There are events every day in the building that are connecting students with people who employ developers or people who code for a living. If you really want to give yourself the edge over students at other boot camps then Galvanize is a must.

• Frank Gonzalez  User Photo
    Frank Gonzalez • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Background: Retail customer service and sales in the tech/electronic industry, no prior software experience. Some general education teaching experience.

Now: Just hit 4 months in as a software engineer for a ed-tech company that services students around the world.

My review could just be those two lines up there and it would speak for itself but that would be an injustice to both Galvanize as a school and it's staff. From the admissions staff to the career services director, everyone there is working constantly to see you, the student, suceed. I went in interested in learning software development and hoping for a career change, I left with those hopes fulfilled and an insatiable drive in continuing my education as both an evolving engineer and a possible instructor in the future.

Contact and communication is constant. Seminars and teachings galore beyond the course material, on subjects as: how to get a job as an engineer, how to grow and groom your social network in the tech community, what we're interested in learning, and actual speakers from existing tech jobs. Not to mention the tech employees and recruiters who come during the course of the cohort to see what you're working on and to network/provide opportunites for employment. It's incredible.

Of course all of that is a side to the meat and potatoes of the main curriculum, so no review would be complete without mention of the instructors. I wish I could look you, the reader, in the eye as I say this; despite it's clichéd nature: I've never had a better teacher than I had while I attended the Austin Galvanize location. Zubair Desai is the instructor you should look for and the teacher I aspire to be. Having some teaching experience I know how difficult the concept and act of teaching.....anything really... to anyone is, it might honestly be the hardest damn thing to do. Bar none. Zubair handles it effortlessly. It's honestly almost wizardry at how much he knows but more than that, how much he can impart on another human being.

He can take a classroom from nothing and turn them into accomplished software engineers. Period. Every single person in my cohort is working in the programming field as I write this, a literal 100% sucess rate for my class. It's insane. I hope that I can get this across in words as vehemently as I would if I were in front of you, he doesn't just teach you how to learn Javascript or Rails or Java or sorting algorithms or any of a million other things, (Spolier Alert: he does), he teaches you HOW to learn these things. If that doesn't make sense I implore you to enroll and see how you go from knowing nothing as an aspiring developer to being able to teach yourself an entirely unfamiliar language WHILE learning the languages and frameworks that make up the Galvanize curriculum. He's a credit not only to the tech community, in shaping the developers of tomorrow, but a credit to teaching as a profession. Learning from him is a means of unlocking your full potential as a software engineer and I honestly don't know to give higher praise than that.

During my time there we had the pleasure and privlege of workng with a pair of assistant instructors as well, Oli and Louis; that brought invaluable skills, experience, and humor to the class. From learning the intricacies of Ruby on Rails with Oli to the finer workings of Swift with Louis, ALL of the instructors at Galvanize put the time and effort in making sure you succeed. If you have questions, they're there to make sure you have answers.

Every moment of my time at Galvanize was spent learning something. It was frustrating at times and blissful the rest but every moment made me the developer I am today and I have this school to thank. For those on the fence, do it, you won't regret it.

• Wallace Printz   User Photo
    Wallace Printz • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Galvanize offers a complete overview of data science theory and application. The program is very intense but the instructors are amazing at breaking down core concepts into coding building blocks that explain fundamental mathematical underpinnings as well as how to implement in a range of examples. The acceptance rate is pretty low, because the application process is strict, but this maintains a high class standard and ensures quality students will help each other effectively. Career services are top notch and really help career transitions from other industries to effectively stand out. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Galvanize.

• Zack Lee  User Photo
    Zack Lee • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the Galvanize Data Science Immersive in Austin, Texas. Unlike many of the other students, this was actually my second bootcamp, the first being Hack Reactor.

If you are the type of person who loves learning and is interested in Machine Learning, Galvanize is by far the best place to learn it. The instructors are fantastic, and their curriculum is well structured.

• Thomas Jameson  User Photo
    Thomas Jameson • n/a • Student Verified via GitHub

First off, I'll start this review by telling you all that I didn't end up graduating from the SF Galvanize bootcamp (the only one out of 13. I'll also state that I graduated UCSC with honors, so it's not like I'm completely dumb). Despite my own personal situation (more on this later), I share many similar sentiments with the rest of the cohort about the school.

Secondly, I'm trying to leave a fair review despite not graduating; however, this review is subjective and, of course, is based off my personal experiences at Galvanize.

A typical day unfolded like this:

9-10: warm-up algorithm
    11-12: Reviewing the algorithm's answer, and then lecture.
    Lunch from 12-1
    1-2: Another 1-2 hour lecture.
    3-Rest of day/evening: More work to be done; projects, homework review, etc (typically with other classmates, with some instructor assistance - in other words a lot of pair programming. In fact, if you're anything like most of us, you won't get by without working with other people.)

There are 4 quarters at G:

1) Front end (HTML/JS - lots of working with dom manipulation)
    2) Server side stuff/back end (our stack was Node, Express, and Postgresql)
    3) Computer science stuff (algorithms, data structures, trees, linked lists, etc)
    4) Learning a few front end frameworks (React and Angular - more on this later), as well as "self exploration"

Each quarter had its own project:
    1) A front end app that requires an api call
    2) Connecting an app to a server and database
    3) Something computer-sciency
    4) A final capstone project in culmination of the cohort, bringing together most of the ideas throughout the school. Must be full stack, and requires a new technology not taught in the cohort (a different database, for example, like mongo db).

I guess I'll start with the pros of Galvanize:

1) Our personal cohort had an student:instructor ratio of about 13:3 (more on this later), which is a very good ratio as far as bootcamps go (from what I've heard).  Also, the instructors stayed from about 9-6, so we had them for almost a full 8 hours.
    2) The instructors and staff were all enthusiastic and supported us. They truly did care about our success (which I've heard differently about other bootcamps).
    3) The campus itself was pretty cool. Kinda like a tech hub, with a whole bunch of tech companies in the building, as well as Galvanize data science cohorts.
    4) We also had a lot career support. A few times a month, our homework would instead consist of networking, resume building, targeting companies, how to present yourself, stuff like that. We even had our own personal good docs of all the career things we were supposed to keep on top of (which was a lot - a lot).
    5) Lots of events on campus - tech companies coming in to present there stuff, networking events, and companies (like IBM) coming in to give presentations and talk to potential future employees (us, hopefully).
    6) At those events - there was a lot of free food. Lots of pizza, booze. A lot of delicious, fancy food as well. Most of the events are open to students - as long as you sign up on Eventbrite (sign up for as many as you can to network and eat awesome food). If you go to them, even if it's for the free food, at least pretend to care about the event, and give people time to do their spiels.
    7) Getting to know everyone for 6 months was a pretty fun experience - we were from all walks of life (more on this later), and had a lot of different experiences. A lot of us became pretty close throughout the cohort.
    8) The cohort was 6 months; most other bootcamps are much less than this (more on this later).
    9) They preached a growth mindset. Look it up if you're not familiar. Quite necessary, however more on this in a bit.
    10) I ended up receiving two scholarships, for a total of 4k off the admissions price (bringing it to 17k from 21). However, I'm not sure if they're still offering these scholarships.
    11) The staff is pretty receptive to our suggestions and complaints. So they may be working on some of the things I'm about to list below.

Ok, a lot of good stuff, but there was definitely a lot that could be improved upon (the bad):

1) Of the three instructors, one was really not fit to be an instructor at all. His lecturing skills were bad, and we're all convinced he actually didn't know anything he was talking about. However, it sounds like he's changed his ways since we left, as we did quite a bit of complaining about it.
    2) The next cohort turned out to be much bigger than ours (20-something students), and right in the middle of their cohort (somewhere near the end of quarter two I think), Galvanize ended up firing two of their better instructors, meaning for about 30-something people, we had 4 instructors or so trying to help us finish up our capstone while helping the new cohort. Since then, they've hired two instructors more, and might bring back one of the fired ones. The newer cohort was pissed about this situation, and did a lot of complaining (as did we).
    3) Some of the students felt as though the career services came too early; the lectures and homework weren't really relevant early on in the cohort while we were trying to bust our butts coding and really had no prospects or thoughts of getting a job. I, personally, didn't mind a break from the extensive coding.
    4) The school (and even some teachers) claimed we'd only be working 40hrs a week due to the fact that the school was 6 months long. This was entirely untrue. Don't expect to be working under 50 per week. 60 is more like it (for 6 months don't forget). It's LONG. There isn't time for a part time job, relationships, partying, etc. A lot of normal life things will be pushed to the side. Keep that in mind.
    5) This school will kill you if you don't get good rest and have mental stability. I, personally, was going through a lot of stressful situations throughout the cohort, and was averaging around 5 hours per sleep, with 10 hour days for the entire 6 months. It's entirely possible that, had my mental state and life circumstances been better,  I would have faired much better in school, and would have an entirely different outlook coming out of G.
    6) A lot of the homework didn't sync up with lectures, which made things confusing. A lot of times, there wasn't time to do the readings either, as there was just too much homework. In addition, a lot of the tests in the homework were simply wrong; we'd spend hours trying to fix our code when it was right in the first place. Hours lost over this stuff.
    7) Galvanize dropped the ball entirely in quarter 4. We were supposed to learn at least one new front end framework (we voted for React). It turned out we had only one one-hour lecture on it, and many of us were hoping to create our capstone with it. This is possibly the reason I didn't graduate, as I tried to use React and didn't quite understand it. The instructors also pushed me to use it, despite me being very uncomfortable with it. This is what I'm most pissed about. Also know that you will be cut off from campus resources (career support and instructor help) if you don't graduate. I'm now basically alone in my job hunt, minus some help from fellow students.
    8) Ok, this is a big one: it seems the ONLY people that did really well were people with prior experience in some way. Someone with years of database experience, an MA in engineering, a grad from another bootcamp with a couple years of experience, and two with prior coding experience in some way. For those of us from different walks of life (this includes me), this class was ten times the struggle - and it showed. Everything came slower. Some of use still can't center divs correctly on a page. Our projects looked ten times worse than everyone else's.
    9) Speaking of centering divs, our time with CSS was pretty rushed. A lot of us don't have good foundations with it, and there weren't many lectures on it. We were basically given some links to check out to get a better understanding of it.
    10) At some point throughout the cohort, we found out our area's market (SF) only wanted senior devs, and we were told it'd probably be a good idea to look out of state. Yikes.
    11) I was accepted to the bootcamp even though I didn't pass the entrance algorithm. Had I not been accepted (and rightly so), I would not have taken out a $20,000 loan with no prospects of getting a job. Were they just trying to fill seats? It's possible, as I did hear rumors of this floating around at some point.
    12) The reason they fired two instructors possibly due to the hiring of a new CTO, who possibly wasn't a good fit. Whoever it was made cuts in the wrong spots, and some of this landed on us. This made me remember that G, along with all bootcamps, are still a business (non-accredited btw) at the end of the day, and saving/making money is what it's all about.
    13) Multiple people (outsiders watching) I had talked to claimed the students didn't get enough support. They felt as though we needed a few more tutors/mentors. I suppose this is the nature of the bootcamp however.
    14) Many of these negative sentiments are shared not only by me, but also by the previous and proceeding cohorts. In this case - the bad points may not just be a manifestation of my personal situation, but are a true reflection of the school. The upside is that Galvanize is aware of many of these sentiments, and is trying to correct at least some of them.  Again, I'd like to remind you that much of the staff does truly care about student success. Many of them even made themselves available to me personally even though I had not graduated.
    15) In regards to instructor situations, the current cohort just had their best instructor randomly get placed as a student in a data science class. This doesn't really make any sense, especially since the current cohort was so upset over the previous instructors getting fired. To be clear, this particular instructor was already promoted to another position, but that was still a teaching related position I believe. Now, the current cohort is completely without his help. In regards to all this instructor movement/loss, I've heard this about more than 2 other bootcamps, so it's not necessarily just a Galvanize thing.
    16) One final point, which is definitely a big one as well, which I hadn't thought of at the time for some reason... Why are we paying money for a personal exploration quarter? I came to school to be taught, not to learn things on my own. In this case, what am I paying money for? The school might as well have been set in trimesters instead of quarters, with a smaller tuition fee. Remember, for a 21k tuition, that means you're paying $5250 to learn things on your own for a quarter.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I'll list it anyways as just something to ponder. The prices people paid to get in were kinda all over the place. Like I said, a few of us got 2-4k off, one person got their entire tuition paid for (I think by some foundation, so that may be irrelevant), and one student got half the tuition off upon threatening to go to another bootcamp. Now, from what I understand, there were no scholarships given for the current cohort.

My personal conclusion:

Galvanize wasn't worth it. Or any other bootcamp for that matter - unless you already have a previous related background and you know your brain is trained to think like a programmer. The market (at least in Silicon Valley) does not want entry level programmers. The risk of not getting a job is too great (unless you plan on moving out of state), especially if you're planning to take out a loan, like I did (and now feel pretty screwed in my situation).

My personal recommendations:

Do your research. I thought I did enough, but now I don't feel as though I did. I'm not talking about research on just bootcamps, but research on the market, what stacks are most wanted, what camps teach these stacks, and which camps will give you the most support. Research tuition prices, potential scholarships and deals, connections the school might have in terms of job placement, etc. Possibly most importantly, talk to previous grads to get their experiences. Was it worth it for them? Pros? Cons?

Finally, do plenty of soul searching before you fork over thousands of dollars. Do you even want to be a programmer, or are you in it for the money? If you're in it for the money, you might not survive. I personally was in it half way for this reason. Yes, I wanted better pay (how else can one afford a living in Ca? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Also I had back surgery, so I lost half my job opportunities right there). However, I also knew that I liked solving problems and making things work (better). I also wanted to upgrade my resume. In this sense, it's possible I might not even end up as a developer, but I may end up utilizing my full stack skills in some other way. Combining them with previous work experience? Possible.

If you don't know if you want to program - take online courses first. Make sure you do enough - not just a few free ones off CodeAcademy. Take full stack courses off Udemy or Udacity, places like that. Even if you spend a couple hundred bucks on online classes, this move can potentially save you thousands of dollars if it turns out you don't wanna program. It's even possible you'll get a job with just online courses if you're that adept.

Finally, trust your gut. I was very hesitant to fork over the 2,000 tuition fee; I should have taken this as a sign. Throught the first quarter, there were many times when my gut was telling me to drop out. I should have trusted my gut again, yet I listened to instructors that told me I should stick with it.

Remember, my experience at G was subjective (as everyone else's). Read more than just my review. Do your research and soul search!

Good luck in your bootcamp prospects!

• Brian Balagot  User Photo
    Brian Balagot • Cognitive Apps Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hi Everyone,

Greetings!

The perspective I am sharing is that of an individual who moved to SF just to join the program, from another country.

I moved here from the Philippines in September, three days before the start of Week 0, the "intro" to the "intro to Python" (I highly recommend it). I chose Galvanize because as early as 2013, I was already aware of Data Science and Zipfian, and read so many good things about the program. Because of life circumstances, I could only join after June 2016. This April 2017, I am just about to start my career in Tech at IBM - working on Data Science and Artificial Intelligence projects. I can honestly say that none of this would be possible if not for my experience at Galvanize.

I have two main points for this review that I am writing:

1. The Galvanize Data Science Immersive Program is transformative - there are so many things today that I could not have done in Sep 2016, and I largely attribute these to my phenomenal growth rate as a result of the instructors and curriculum
    2. The DSI Program at Galvanize is not a magic pill. What you get out of it depends on you.

Point 1: The Galvanize Experience
    The instructors were excellent. They were all very hands on in terms of coding and teaching, very insightful in terms of mentorship and guidance, and very amicable and approachable. The curriculum covered mathematical statistics, linear algebra, machine learning, nlp, network analysis, recommendation systems, big data tools, and app development. Galvanize works closely with many different companies in order to match graduates to opportunities and job requisitions. Because of the program's design - which intends to get you to be as comfortable with code and concepts as quickly as possible, I am now able to: build machine learning pipelines in spark, code recommendation systems from scratch, transform log data into events and apply time series analysis, push apps to the cloud in order to host prototypes users can interact with, and have the tenacity and aptitude to read documentation and pick up new languages.

Point 2: What You Get Depends On You
    Individuals who join the program come from all kinds of backgrounds. Mine was not tech related, data related, or USA related. I managed a chain of supermarkets in the Philippines for eight years and I do not have a MSc in a STEM field. I had to make my own reality check, adjust my expectations, and do the best with what I had. However, Galvanize exposed me to an excellent network of people - I was able to hit the ground running in terms of making friends and getting a chance to talk to companies (like IBM) because of the may different career talks that happen on campus. I had to make the most of it by going beyond myself, making connections, and maximizing my skills by picking up two side projects after graduation in order to build up my portfolio and make myself more marketable. Thankfully, it paid off.

My Galvanize experience was great. Partly because of Galvanize, and partly because I made the most out of it. I highly recommend this program to anyone - but just make to understand that it is not going to be a walk in the park. To get the most out of it, you have to work very hard.

Cheers,

Brian

• WDI Immersive
    - 3/1/2017
    Eleanor  User Photo
    Eleanor • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Galvanize is a great community to be a part of. I took the 8wk night class on Javascript first and it really helped me prepare for the bootcamp, I highly recommend it, especially since they reimburse you for it if you end up taking the 6 month program. I learned more than I knew was possible in 6 months there. There is so much support, instruction, exercises. There are also a lot of events at galvanize so you can network and get some food when you need a break from studying. They have career services to help you on the job search. One thing I really enjoyed here was the third quarter on data structures and algorithms, it was interesting and useful!

• Nikhil • Graduate

I personally found the Galvanize Data Science Immersive program to be a very rewarding experience. My prior background was in biotech, and after studying and working in that space for a bit, I felt I wanted to make a change. I found the program to be very interesting, filled with engaging instructors who were very knowledgeable about the material. The curriculum covered a great breadth of data science topics, but we still went into the depth of the math behind algorithms which I felt gave us good grounding on the justification of what we were learning. I also enjoyed the collaborative atmosphere of the daily assignments and group projects. Most importantly though, I really appreciated the career services they offered throughout the program, up to the final weeks, and even past graduation. I felt they really prepared me for navigating the job search and connecting with people. I'm glad I did the program.

• Andrea Fabry • Data Scientist • Graduate

SwitchUp initially matched me up with Galvanize when I was researching bootcamps. I did online programs previously and visited a few bootcamps (attended sample courses when available). I immediately knew that Galvanize was the best match for my learning style. I find that the curricula of most data science prep places cover the same topics - Galvanize's curriculum was a great mix and match between rock solid theoretical foundations and hands-on implementation experience. Accordingly, the bootcamp was intense, required great math and technical foundations - 10 hours days plus a lot of extra reading coding (plus material you don't even get to cover and can dive into later). Now a data scientist, I still use the course materials as reference. Where Galvanize truly shined was after the bootcamp was over. If you are switching careers, you have to slug through many interviews - career services was there for me with unbelievable one-on-one support every step of the way. If you paid a career coach, you'd have paid easily the bootcamp's price in hourly rates for all the help and support I've received. Pros: outstanding curriculum and instruction, small class size, extraordinary career support. Cons: their motto covers it all: "This is not school." They will give you all the tools to succeed but they will not force you to use them. It's up to you how hard and how fast you push yourself to achieve your goals of becoming a data scientist.

• Nick Teixeira • Data Engineer • Graduate

1-year after completing Galvanize Data Science Immersive and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. At 34 and already in a decent career field I wanted to make a change. I could have gone back to school or done a different boot camp- but the Galvanize program, structure, and community drew my attention.

You can't argue with results. My cohort was small, only 7 people.  6 finished and all were employed full-time within 3 months. My personal experience was filled with a lot of apprehension and concern around  "is this going to be enough?".

It was. That simple.

Let's be clear - they are not going to apply to jobs for you. They are not going to do the course work for you. If you fall behind it is up to you to ask for more attention.

However, I found the instructors to be knowledgeable and willing to dedicate time for those who wanted more attention - but also not hold the group back. Career services offered advice and gave you time when you asked for it. The atmosphere was positive and there were lots of ways to network/connect and hustle to find work.

I personally received two six-figure offers within 3 months, and there were a lot of possibles in the pipeline when I did end up accepting a position.  Of course your results may vary - but if you are interested in upping your data analytics game, being a master with python (a very useful language), and opening up career fields you didn't think would be possible - I found Galvanize a great place to do it and think it was exactly the right choice. I couldn’t be more pleased with the results at the present, and the future looks great!

Why 4 stars? Because there is always room for improvement and that missing star is YOU. You will make it 5 stars if you want it.

Some additional thoughts I have:

- Do at least an intro to Python course and have some exposure to Pandas - this will help you keep up. It also wouldn't hurt to do a simple Intro to Computer Science class where you really break down loops and objects in coding. Not 100% needed but will help you keep up. SQL practice also will be helpful. You don't need to be a master of any of this by all means - you know more than you realize!

- Do full immersive. I completely understand how big of a leap of faith it is to take 4+ months away from work and go without income during that time. I really believe the intensive is the way to go rather than doing it part-time. The crunched curriculum  is like a shot in the arm and you will learn/retain more and find more practical uses when you jump in with both feet.

• Christopher Jannenga • UI/UX Engineer • Graduate

Two years ago I knew that I wanted to make a substantial change to my life for myself and my family - Galvanize didn’t really help me do that though. I have been an Engineer now professionally for 2+ years and after taking some time to reflect on my journey I thought it would be best to leave a review.

I can honestly say that the crucial information I learned over the last two years mostly came from Udemy.com and practice. Galvanize was good for the sense that I had to dedicate myself to coding every single day for six months. There were many times though that my Cohort would be lost and asking for help with non to be found.

Galvanize even managed to use us as guinea pigs in our third quarter by letting us be the first to experience a completely lacking React curriculum. We had instructors on vacation and with no help to clarify things the class resorted to purchasing Stephen Grider’s “Modern React and Redux” course to complete together.

The overall experience was completely lacking. Some of my fellow graduates resorted to leaving it all behind and going back to old jobs. Some of them looked for work for about 2 years until finding something - they drove Lyft and Uber to get by. I resorted too Freelancing and trying to make websites and anything else I could to get people to pay me.

I ended up getting a job two years later with some help of Udemy.com and being in the right place at the right time.

When people ask me about attending Galvanize, I always give the same answer. If you have 20k to waste then go for it. If not invest time in to 3 - 4 Udemy Courses and you’ll achieve better results!

Please also note - The program has progressively gotten worse. I’ve kept in touch with many Alumni who were in attendance and the general consensus is that it was a complete waste and helped them go nowhere. I’ve seen the Phoenix campus churn through instructors and let go of critical staff all while shortening the program length, introducing more “Self-taught” curriculum, and leaving students to fend for themselves.

I have removed my time at Galvanize from my resume and don’t disclose it when talking with engineers because Galvanize didn’t get me to where I am. I did.

Please, If you are reading this - Spend your money more wisely. Udemy courses and some local tech groups will get you further, faster, then this utter disappointment of a program ever could.

• Pull the Trigger
    - 3/12/2019
    Emily • Data Scientist • Graduate

I would highly recommend Galvanize's Data Science Immersive. It is tough, much tougher than I anticipated but that's what gets you a job afterwards. My best advice going into the program is practice practice practice, specifically python. This will help you go farther in the class. My background was an analyst and I put in about 12 hours a day M-F. By the weekend you are exhausted. Additionally, take the career services team's advice. They know what they are talking about, and are in a different league than any college counselor I ever worked with. I did everything the said to a T, and had a data science job lined up prior to graduation with two offers in total.

For me, Galvanize was life changing. It provided me the ability to create an entirely new career track in just a few short months. What you know by the end that  you didn't know in the beginning of the class is seriously impressive. I would recommend Galvanize to anyone as long as they are/can be a hard worker. Being surrounded by such a driven group of people is also a fun experience that you don't get at the typical job and helps push you farther.

• Adrian Bjune • Graduate

The Data Science Immersive program at Galvanize has been absolutely amazing. Even though I had a technical background coming into the program, there was still so much to learn that it was still challenging, but by working with the instructors and other students I was able to overcome every block I hit.

It's a lot of knowledge thrown at you every day, but the morning and afternoon sprints (especially the pair programming) really helped drive home what we were learning. Not only that, but having to actually apply the techniques we learned to different case studies and eventually our capstone projects was great and gave me a lot to add to my portfolio.

I'm still in the process of searching for a job, but James has been essential throughout the process (even after we graduate), by helping us with our resume and interview skills, and connecting us to companies looking to hire.

10/10 would definitely recommend the Data Science Immersive at Galvanize.

• Great experience!
    - 12/7/2018
    Will P • Data Scientist • Graduate

No, you won't become a data science expert in 3 months.

Yes, the fundamentals you learn at Galvanize will put you well on your way and make you highly employable.

I'm happy with my choice of Galvanize because:

• My fellow classmates were intellectually curious and excellent partners
    • The instructors focused the curriculum on a first-principles understanding of key machine learning concepts, followed by project-based applications of those principles.
    • The startup community surrounding the campus is vibrant, and provided several opportunities for collaboration.

Onward and upward!

• Matthew Riach • Full stack developer • Graduate

A little background on me. I came to Galvanize as a Colorado Native with a college degree and 5 years of working experience running a financial planning practice. I had no coding or technology background. I decided on Galvanize over some other boot camps because of their sales pitch and culture. We will teach you a little about a lot of things, but more importantly how to learn a new programming language quickly. When you get in front of an employer you can say I may not know a ton about your code base, but give me 2 weeks and I will.

Every boot camp and campus has its own culture and people so you should always shadow for a day to see if it’s a good fit for you. I shadowed at 3 different boot camps and Galvanize was the best fit for me. Galvanize is not for everyone though. If you are looking for someone to hold your hand and guide you as you learn about coding then Galvanize is not for you. They take the approach of you need to struggle at times to really learn some topics or concepts. I like this style and it worked well for me. I also got a lot out of helping my fellow students. This would help reaffirm a concept in my head.

Galvanize – Denver had great instructors while I was there. This is always in flux though. One of the Galvanize Denver biggest weaknesses is they don’t have a timely process of replacing an instructor when they leave.  They also have changed the curriculum while I was there so I can’t speak to how the new one is. Mine was self-paced and that worked great for me. I would also say I got lucky with my job search post-graduation.  I only applied to 15 jobs and had 2 interviews. A lot of my fellow students are still looking. It typically takes several months to hear back from companies and you might end up working some contract work or other odd jobs while you wait. Like the teaching style of Galvanize, jobs aren’t handed out for free. You must work for it and continue to code post-graduation.

I really enjoyed my time at Galvanize – Denver. I liked the teachers, culture, and the learning style. I would recommend anyone thinking about going to any boot camp to do the following. Shadow a student for half the day, Talk to current students, new and about to graduate, and if you live in Denver attend their learn to code meetup they do every Wednesday. You will meet current students and get a taste of coding.

• Emily • Software Developer • Graduate

After working at a boring and non-challenging job as a tech writer, I decided to learn to code. Galvanize surprised me by not only giving me the coding skills I needed, but also teaching me to teach myself any technical skill I want. The career services were excellent and helped me land a great contract-to-hire job 6 weeks after the program, and 4 months later I've been hired full time at that company.

The curriculum at Galvanize is definitely the cutting edge of what you need to be a strong front-end developer (and probably back end too, but that's not my interest so I didn't really dig past the basic back end skills I needed to get my own app up and running). New-ish technologies like React, CSS Grid, and testing with Cypress are examples of things that my very smart and experienced colleagues at my new job simply aren't as familiar with as I am.

The thing that surprised me the most about going to Galvanize was the community. Not only at Galvanize, but even after, every tech event I attend in Denver it feels like I know EVERYONE because I met so many people that were in school with me, the instructors, and our guest speakers. I'm not even that good at making friends and I've made a ton of close connections which have served me well navigating through the Denver job market, as well as just having awesome people to hang out with.

I highly recommend Galvanize.

• Software Engineer
    - 10/21/2018
    Cindy S. • Graduate

I attended the Web Development immersive program through Galvanize’s Phoenix campus. I graduated in July 26, 2018. I went into this program with zero programming or computer science knowledge and came out after 6 months skilled and prepared to be offered a position as a Software Engineer for a Fortune 500 company. I am three months into my job and absolutely love every minute. Galvanize gave me all the tools I needed to succeed in this industry and helped me create a brand new life that I could only ever dream of up until this point. Yes they give you the tools but it also takes a lot of hard work and dedication on your part. If you follow their advice and treat the program like a bootcamp and invest 100% of yourself then you will be successful. My experience with Galvanize has been completely life changing and it was the best decision of my life to go through their program!

• Angelo Tan • Student

I really enjoyed and gained a lot of knowledge partaking in the Introductory Web Development course at Galvanize. Prior to attending this class, I only knew the basic functions of HTML. By the end of the course, I learned in-depth knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript and how it functions into our web browsers.

The instructor and teacher assistant were one of the best teachers I have ever worked with (Coming from someone who has a 4-year degree and military experience.). They made themselves available for additional help and assistance to every student in and out of class. I have seen the instructor and TA work carefully to ensure the students are successful, whether the students had little or vast experience in the topic.

Galvanize hosted events with employers to network with prospective employees who are interested in tech careers. It’s a great way to get out and talk to employers to learn how the tech industry can improve by applying the skills and knowledge we learned from Galvanize.

The location of the schoolhouse was very convenient for commuters. I was commuting from the East Bay side of the Bay Area. I took BART and walked from the Montgomery Station which is about a 5-minute walk to the schoolhouse. From my experience, Galvanize is very accessible to anyone in the Bay Area.

I highly and would recommend Galvanize to anyone interested in the coding field to enhance their skills. It also a great network for anyone seeking jobs, as well and keeping up with the coding knowledge in today’s tech industry.

• Elise • Data Scientist • Graduate

I was in the Data Science Immersive program from Feb. 2018 - May 2018 and it was by far the best thing I've ever done. Not only do the teachers pour themselves out to make sure you understand what is being taught, but the faculty also spends a ton of time helping you get a job. I honestly considered doing it a second time because I loved the experience so much! I would definitely recommend this for anyone who is excited about data science and wants to explore or work in the field.

• Robert Wining • Sales Associate • Student

This was best educational course that I have ever participated in.  Anything I needed in order to succeed was made available to me. The instructors, facilities, and staff were excellent.  The instructor for this course was so incredibly patient and passionate. I was so excited to complete my project but wasn't glad to have the course end.  I hope to attend more courses at Galvanize.

• Graham • Job Seeking • Graduate

I'm a recent graduate of the Galvanize Web-Development immersive program (<3 months) and I will tell you to absolutely stay away from the program right now, at least the Denver campus.

For starters, I would be extremely leery of any data you see from Galvanize on their job placement rates.  The last data the website shows is from 2016.  In my cohort of 20 graduates, only 3 have solid paying jobs now three months after graduation (and one of them works for Galvanize, so that barely counts).  The only people who have jobs are people who showed up to the course already having strong coding backgrounds.

Their admissions process is a joke.  You solve a logic problem, submit "code" (which can be basically anything), and make a simple animation on a website that is designed for children.  The interview portion is hysterically easy.  Once the course actually starts it gets even more absurd.

Galvanize's whole idea now is that they aren't a traditional 'school' anymore.  They give you a bunch of various drills and projects you have to complete and throw you out there to go do them, with instructor help if need be.  There are no tests, no quizzes, no grades, no homework, essentially no real checks to make sure you actually understand anything.  While this might be ok for someone who already has a solid foundation in JS and coding, it's basically the equivalent of giving someone an essay written in a foreign language and telling them to go translate it when they don't speak a single word of the language.  Without the fundamentals, you may as well be trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.

This wouldn't be so bad if they were staffed well, but they aren't.  During my time in the course, I think we lost 5-6 different instructors.  On top of that, the vast majority of the instructors are people who just graduated from the course, and have never actually worked as Web or Software Devs.  They're so understaffed that half the time when you have a problem they tell you to go to other students to teach you.  Except I'm not paying those other students $21k for help, I'm paying you.

Because there are no exams or grades, it's pretty much impossible to fail the course.  If you can't figure out a coding drill, they'll eventually just walk you through it and then decide that you  "understand" it because you've seen it done one time.  If you tell them you have no idea what's going on and are falling behind (like I did nearly every day) they'll insist that you're doing fine.  Since there are no grades or tests or any real way of knowing how well you're doing, you take their word for it.  Then suddenly you're graduated and don't know anything.

The course organization is atrocious.  Ideas start (like remedial training, advisor groups, etc.) and then either get tossed aside or end up getting altered constantly because there's little to no planning.  There's no syllabus and the curriculum seems to change like the wind; it's just sort of chaos.  Ideas are also just sort of chucked in at random.  We didn't get a "breakout" (a lecture) on the basics of how the internet works until halfway through the course.  We didn't even touch basic computer science concepts until about a week prior to graduation.

The only real positive I can say is that Career Services is actually very good.  They clearly care a lot, work hard, help you improve your resume, LinkedIn, cover letters, etc.  The problem is that without strong coding skills to back it up, a good deal of that is just window dressing.

I don't think Galvanize is a scam: the people who work there are good people and clearly want you to succeed.  But just wanting something is meaningless without results, and right now the course feels disorganized and rudderless.  Stay away from G-School (at least the Denver campus) until some serious changes are made.