developme_-logo

DevelopMe_

Bristol

DevelopMe_

DevelopMe_ offers full-time, 12-week Web Developer Bootcamps, part-time 10-week UX Design Bootcamps, and part-time, 6-week Front End Web Development courses in Bristol, UK. DevelopMe_ was established with a social mission to create inclusive opportunities and give everyone in society access to the digital economy. Courses are taught by industry experts and are project driven and challenge based. In the DevelopMe_ Web Developer Bootcamp (Coding Fellowship) students learn HTML5, CSS3, Sass, JavaScript, React, Redux, React native, Gulp, Git, Vagrant, APIs, PHP, WordPress and the Laravel framework. The UX Design Bootcamp teaches the key skills required to research, define, design, and develop digital services and products based on user-centered design principles. Students learn how to approach problems creatively to design the next generation of apps, websites, and digital products.

Applicants are required to submit an online application, attend an introductory workshop, participate in an interview, and complete pre-course material, before being admitted to a bootcamp.

DevelopMe_ provides CV and interview coaching, networking opportunities with employers, industry mentoring, and ongoing career support, as well as multiple internship opportunities with partner companies to kick-start a new career in tech. Students will learn the tools, technologies, and skills needed to start a career as a Full Stack Web Developer or UX Designer through this talent and digital skills accelerator.

Recent DevelopMe_ Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (60) reviews for DevelopMe_ →

Recent DevelopMe_ News

• Coding Fellowship

Cost£8,450
    LocationBristol
    A full-time immersive 12-week web development bootcamp covering HTML, CSS, Sass, Gulp, JavaScript, React, Redux, React Native, PHP and the Laravel framework. Classes are Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm.
    Deposit£500
    Minimum Skill LevelNone but encourages students to show evidence of interest in coding. i.e. having worked through some online resources, started teaching themselves to code and attended tech events.
    Prep Work50 hours + of coding exercises, reading and tutorials
  • Part-time Front-end

HTML, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Cost£1,500
    LocationBristol
    A part-time (6 evenings, 2 full Saturdays) course teaching the fundamentals of modern front-end web development. Learn how to code mobile-friendly, responsive websites from scratch, using HTML5 and CSS3 and the latest web development practices from industry experts.
    Deposit£500
    ScholarshipThe 'Opportunity Fund' within Develop Me occasionally allows for £500, £1000 reduction in fees and sometimes we make a full fee reduction available. Our Opportunity fund come from donations from our Hiring Partner and a % of fees we put in ourselves.
    Minimum Skill LevelNone but encourages students to show evidence of interest in coding. I.e. having worked through some online resources, started teaching themselves to code and attended tech events.
  • User Experience Design [Part-time]

Cost£2,450
    LocationBristol
    Our part-time User Experience Design (UXD) course will teach you all the key skills required to research, define, design and develop digital services based upon user-centred design principles. The programme’s industry informed curriculum will teach you how to approach problems creatively in order to design the next generation of great apps, websites, and digital products whilst preparing you to pursue opportunities to work as a User Experience Designer. Course overview: 10 week part-time curriculum Thursday evenings + 2 full Saturdays Additional homework & project work Content ratio 30% theory > 70% practical Classroom based with expert instructors Students will be taught the fundamentals of User Centred Design and learn to validate ideas by looping through the design process starting with User Research, Rapid Prototyping, User Testing and Iteration. You will also be introduced to industry standard creative software tools and working processes whilst working on a real ‘live’ client brief. Alongside this practical application of learned skills and techniques – you will be able to demonstrate your ability to successfully manage a project from concept to launch; combining commercially sought after skill-sets – through the application of research, design and technical development. Students will finish the course competent in: Research & Analysis methods Understanding of UX best practice UX processes – Research & analysis methods User/Human-centred design processes Information architecture Creative software tools Visual design principles User Interface (UI) components & design patterns Wireframing, low-fidelity mockups & rapid prototyping Identifying front-end web technologies (Note: This course is not a web development course) Project management, workflow & handover processes Usability testing & validation
    Deposit£500

Minimum Skill LevelNone but encourages students to show evidence of interest in design, technology or related fields
  • UX Fundamentals Workshop

Cost£600
    LocationBristol
    Course Overview Design is the name we give to the task of creating something useful and beautiful. It relies on a multi-disciplinary approach that includes: user research and testing; interface design & brand. Design for digital – ‘Useful, Beautiful, Digital’. Day 1: Research & discovery Intro Business & brand User research methods Communicating the User Experience Day 2: Design & testing Intro Concept & prototyping Graphic design & interaction design Testing designs Instructors Jointly run by digital designer Matt French and UX consultant Stuart Church. They have worked together for over a decade for clients including Sky, The NHS, The office for National Statistics and Bristol University. Matt French specialises in graphic and interaction design, and is Head of Design at the award winning agency 3Sixty. Stuart Church is a UX consultant specialising in UX research & design prototyping and is a founder of The Bristol Usability Group and UX Bristol Conference. With these complimentary skillsets, their aim is provide a course that demonstrates a holistic approach to User Experience design. Workshop Curriculum Day 1 – Research & discovery Introduction to User Experience We explore the foundations of User Experience. It’s history, terminology and some of the key concepts that frame how we approach design problems. We also discuss the use (and mis-use) of different design processes from waterfall to agile. Business & brand We explore what success means and how we capture an ‘experience vision’ for how the design should benefit customers and users. Often a political process, it involves research and exploration of internal business goals and strategies, and aligning these views towards a common design goal. User research techniques Capturing requirements is vital for establishing a clear vision for the design of a website or application. However, knowing when to do research and what types of methods to use can be a minefield. In this session, we explore practical methods for gaining insights into user goals, attitudes and behaviours. These include online surveys, web analytics and contextual research. Communicating UX The translation of research findings into actionable insights is one of the great challenges of design. In this session, we explore the importance of communication and collaboration, and consider different methods and techniques for effectively communicating research insights (e.g. personas, task models, user journeys) Day 2 – Design & testing Intro Why design & test? Internet, web standards, mobile web 1st, apps. Interaction design: utility & beauty Design principles Brand archetypes The brief Concept & Prototyping High level workflow: (Brief to HTML templates). Familiarisation with key tools such as UX Pin and InVision Review UX research (activity) Sketch user journey(s) (activity) Prototyping & testing (activity) Art direction & Style tiles (activity) Type specs & grids. Designing for personas. Writing content for the web. Interaction design / animation Graphic & Interaction design Trends in design. (Material design) Modular design (components). HTML style guide Responsive design. Hierarchy & visual tension. Type on the web. Buttons, links & CTA’s Forms & validation Testing What to measure? Planning & recruitment Moderated testing Remote moderated testing Unmoderated testing AB & MV testing Satisfactions metrics Semantic differentials Eyetracking
    Refund / Guarantee14 Day Cooling Off Period From Purchase
  • I loved it!
    - 5/22/2018
    Ellie   User Photo
    Ellie • Trainee Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I absolutely loved the Develop Me 12 week bootcamp and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a career as a web developer.

The course was definitely intense (and there were times where my brain felt like it was melting!), but it's such an achievement to learn as much as you do in 12 weeks. I would never have dreamed that I could go from knowing virtually nothing about coding to getting a job as a junior developer the week after the course finished!

I loved having different teachers for each part of the course - this gave us a variety of teaching techniques and exposed us to different insights into the industry. All the teachers were amazing, really passionate about teaching, and created a supportive environment in which to ask questions. Having a teaching assistant as well as the teacher is amazing - Pete was always on hand to help out with all excerises. We were also paired up with mentors in the industry - I got on really well with my mentor and met up for coffee every few weeks. This really helped me gain a better understanding of work as a developer and the industry as a whole.

Learning how to use git was really helpful in my interviews and prepared us well for our placements after the course. Pair programming and working together as a group was always really fun - you learn so much coding with someone else, like developing the ability to talk through your code.

The course had such a friendly atmosphere with Pete and Oli really caring about us as individuals. Our group became really close over the 3 months, and it was great to be able to work together with such a motivated group of people.

I've been working as a junior developer with Ecotricity for 3 months now and absolutely love it. One of the best things about the course is the help that Pete gave us to get a job upon graduating - from setting up the interviews to helping us with mock interviews.

In summary - it's really intense but completely worth it!

• Kim Williams  User Photo
    Kim Williams • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I have just completed the DevelopMe web development bootcamp and I can definitely say it has been one of the most fulfilling 12 weeks of my life.  I didn’t know what to expect coming into the course; I thought perhaps we would become proficient enough to build a one page website but little did I know that we would be working with all the best tools a web developer could have to build fully functioning, multi-paged websites and apps.  Not only did we learn solid industry standards of HTML, CSS, and Javascript front-end development we also learned PHP and worked with content management systems to incorporate both front-end and back-end aspects of web development.  We went on to creating apps and mobile apps with React, Redux, React Native, and Laravel.  We were expected to work like a web developer would at a company so we got comfortable with pushing our work up to Github and pair programming.

My favorite thing about the program was the instructors and teaching assistants.  We had a different instructor for the topics based on the instructor’s expertise and it was very obvious to me that DevelopMe had very high standards for their instructors.   As a beginner coming from a completely unrelated field (hospitality) I was afraid that I would not understand the concepts but the instructors and TAs patiently explained things, even if it meant sitting with me and going through the code line by line at times.  I was in a bit of a unique situation as not only had I just moved to the UK from the States a week prior to starting the course, but also being pregnant into my second trimester! There was one other pregnant person in one of the past cohorts who attended the course and we have both successfully made it through the course with the help of Oli and Pete.

Although the program is quite intense, I never felt like it was unmanageable.   I can honestly say that it would have taken me years to learn what I learned in the 12 week program!!  Working in a setting where you can ask and get immediate answers, and being surrounded by people who are just as motivated as you are to learn is invaluable.  I recommend doing as much precourse work as possible, the more you learn prior to coming to DevelopMe the more you will understand and therefore take away from it.  Living in Bristol, I have bumped into a lot of other web developers and every one of them seems to have a very high opinion of graduates from DevelopMe.  Although the students in my cohort are still finishing up their interviews, as far as I know they have all gotten at least one offer.

If you are serious about becoming a web developer and you want to work with people who are just as serious about turning you into a top notch developer, DevelopMe is the place to be.

• Kieran Cott • Graduate
    Coding Fellowship, Bristol: Mar - Jun 2020

I am very pleased with my decision to study with DevelopMe_ as part of the Spring 2020 cohort. I had had some reservations regarding how things would proceed in light of lockdowns, but I in fact found myself immensely impressed with the way DevelopMe_ adapted to restrictions, and succeeded in delivering an immersive and personal experience despite the challenges of online teaching.

The curriculum itself and the technologies taught are thoughtfully chosen to teach a skillset thorough and broad enough to be job-ready and building your own projects alone in just 12 weeks, which is no mean feat. The instructors were able to strike an effective balance between supporting those who need help, and stretching those who did not. Without fail, everyone in the cohort graduated with a solid knowledge base in popular frameworks and languages providing them an excellent platform on which to start their job search.

Throughout the course, I felt engaged, challenged, and supported. The later weeks of the course I found particularly demanding, but this only added to the sense of satisfaction and achievement upon successfully building and presenting our final project at the end of the course. The instructors made themselves available throughout the course for whenever help was required, and DevelopMe_ even sent out care packages to get us through lockdown. As a cohort, we were able to meet up virtually outside the course, and were able to enjoy the social aspects of the course despite the restrictions.

There are many bootcamps out there, but DevelopMe_ stands out for three reasons:

1..  Instructors, Teaching:
    They're knowledgable, personable, friendly, and approachable. Wed development is not a simple subject, yet the instructors are able to explain difficult concepts in a way that is methodical and comprehensible. There are thousands of YouTube tutorials out there on all sort of subjects pertaining to web development, but not a single one comes close to the thorough, up-to-date, and surprisingly straight-forward lessons these instructors are able to deliver.

2.    Comprehensive Curriculum:
    The course is extremely well-designed, and in retrospect is impressive in its ability to take a student from no-experience to Full Stack in 12 weeks. The course steadily progresses through programming concepts to specific languages, to specific frameworks. The cumulative nature of this learning means that difficult concepts dont feel quite as difficult, due to already possessing the prerequisite knowledge. By the end of the course, you will have skills broad enough such that if you have an idea - you already have the skills with which to build it.

3..   Personal touch, care, support:
    Care packages, weekly one-on-ones, virtual social meetups, dedicated virtual rooms to drop in with a TA any time, practise interviews, and job support. There is a well established graduate community offering help, advice and support, and DevelopMe_ will continue to assist you even after you have finished the course.

Given the chance again, I would choose DeveloipMe_ Bristol again without hesitation. I would strongly recommend this course to anyone looking to get into web development, whether they be university graduates or career changers; or those looking to develop their web development knowledge.

How do I award 6 stars? Outstanding.
  • Adam Gardner • Software Developer
    I underwent DevelopMe_'s coding fellowship determined to make a career move into web development, and that's exactly what the course allowed me to achieve. The level of support throughout the course is exceptional, and the amount of attention and help each student receives rivals any university. While some students came from tech backgrounds, if the pre coursework is completed, the course can easily take someone with no background in tech to the skill level of a junior developer. While COVID has meant that jobs are more thin, the course provided me with a foundation where I could confidently apply for junior roles.

The course is intense as you are constantly learning new things, but days are broken up with regular breaks, and you are made to feel more than comfortable with snacks sent to you and weekly one to one meetings. Highly recommended!
  • Great experience
    - 10/3/2020
    Marta • Graduate
    Now I am one of these people who is... technologically challenged at the best of times.
    Or at least I was 3 months ago. Cause these days I'm developing my own well-being app :)
    It has been incredible experience. Teachers were excellent, thanks to them, teacher assistants and Nicola we never felt like we were left in the darkness.
    It is mind-blowing how much information they managed to teach. I will not lie it has been very intense, but if you are willing to give it your 100%, go for it.
  • Nik Osvalds • Full Stack Developer • Graduate
    DevelopMe was a fantastic experience. I felt very well supported throughout the entire bootcamp by both the Instructors and Teaching Assistants. You can tell they really care about their students and creating a positive community. This was especially important for me as I attended the bootcamp (remotely) during covid lockdown in Bristol. The quality of the instructors is top notch with most of them having over 10-15+ years of experience.

They have weekly 1-to-1s with different people from the course to check in, give you feedback on your performance, and for you to provide any feedback. They also arranged 2-3 group mental wellness sessions with an expert where we learned about dealing with stress and how the brain works. This was amazing!

The tech stack taught is modern and up to date. There are quite a few jobs around Bristol that match it as well. I ended up getting a job in a fairly different stack so don't feel like it locks you into that stack. You learn programming fundamentals and how to learn a language which are very important skills in the fast-changing world of web development.

Getting a job was the most difficult part of the process. I graduated at the end of June 2020, so not many companies were hiring junior developers. DevelopMe was supportive in providing guidance, resources, organizing a project to work on, and helping with connections. The projects done during the course were invaluable in discussing during the interview process. There was not much activity with hiring partners (I had 1 interview arranged by DevelopMe), but my understanding was that was mainly caused by covid. I was able to get 7 more interviews on my own and landed after 2mo of full-time job hunting.

Post-course you are part of the Alumni Slack channel which is a nice little community of fellow web developers. It's a great place to learn about new happenings in the industry or get help with a question you're really stuck on.

• Oscar Wales • Graduate
    My experience of the Develop Me Coding Fellowship was fantastic. After becoming interested in coding through a friend, I contacted the school directly and had a great conversation with the founder Pete and was able to have an honest conversation and ask all the questions I had about the course. The level of support prior to the course beginning was fab - there are fortnightly virtual catch ups where you can ask questions and chat to alumni, the Slack channel is very active and members of the Develop Me team were easy to contact if you had any questions about the prep work. The prep work itself is very time consuming but incredibly helpful and definitely sets you up well for the coming months. Once the course had begun I was incredibly impressed by the quality of teaching from all of the teachers and very pleased with the balance between lectures and time to work on challenges, as well as opportunities to work individually and in groups. I completed the bootcamp virtually, however there was a great community feel on the course and all of my coursemates were lovely people who was I happy to see every day (albeit over webcam)! Finally, although I technically completed the course 2 weeks ago, the level of continued support from Develop Me has been wonderful as they put a lot of work into helping you get a job once the course is over - from mock interviews to sessions on how to write skills-based CVs, it has all been great. Over all I can't recommend this bootcamp enough - it was definitely the best decision I've made in my career so far and if you're ready to take the plunge into web development, I can't think of a better place to take the first step.
  • Sasha Lawrence • Front End Web Developer • Graduate
    I discovered the course online after doing a lot of research into bootcamps for web development in Bristol, I went along to a coding fellowship bootcamp taster evening to see what it was all about. On the evening I met Pete and Oli running the course and made a little game as my first introduction to coding - and I was sold on doing the course.

I wanted a new direction in my career having previously worked in animation, despite loving my area of work, I wanted to learn something different and in demand. I discovered there was great need for skilled web developers and coding is something I have always been interested in so thought it was an area I should look into.

The course is a big investment of time, money and risk - but it was definitely worth it! I have enjoyed the intense learning experience and has opened my eyes to a new creative industry.  The teaching was excellent - it was great to have various tutors each with their own skills, specialist knowledge and interests. Also the support from developme e.g. the 1 on 1s every week where we reflect on how that week's subject has gone were invaluable.

I have managed to get a job pretty soon after the course and am enjoying being a front end developer - I would recommend doing it.
  • Software Developer
    - 1/31/2020
    Oliver • Graduate
    Absolutely superb course! Definitely recommend to people who are thinking about a career change or just kickstart their IT career. You will learn all the fundamentals and best practices that you need to land a developer job after graduating and all this just in 3 months (plus pre-course). Teachers and teaching assistants were best in the industry with years of experience. Support was amazing throughout the course. Really liked the 1on1 meetings every Friday where you review the actual week and get lots of feedback. If you're still not convinced, attend one of the taster evenings and have a chat with postgrads and instructors.
  • Andrew Taylor • Front-End Developer • Graduate
    I began DevelopMe's full stack coding fellowship in early 2019 as a reasonably tech-literate ex-teacher, but with no practical coding experience whatsoever. With the support of DM's tutors and staff, over the next three months I learnt the fundamentals of programming, got on overview of the different disciplines that make up the development industry and, most importantly, acquired the skill, knowledge and confidence necessary to continue developing as a coder independently beyond the scope of the course. The clue's in the name see.

To say that enrolling on DM's bootcamp positively affected my life is an understatement. I'm now entering my 9th month as a front-end developer for a really exciting e-commerce business; it's a job that challenges me intellectually and creatively, and provides me with a great work/life balance: something that seemed almost unachievable only a year and a half ago.

So, thank you DevelopMe_ ! If you're thinking about getting into web-development, look no further.
  • Paul • Software developer • Graduate

I did a lot of research before signing up for the bootcamp as this was a huge decision for me to make. Being in my 40’s with a family and changing career was a pretty daunting, and I was concerned that it would be difficult for me to find work but it turned out this has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!

The teachers on the course were amazing and it was great to be taught by people with real experience in the industry, who knew what you really needed to know to get a job on graduation. There was also a classroom assistant who was fantastic and always there to help.

They also assigned each student an industry mentor which was great, and gave a real insight into the industry. I still meet up with my mentor since graduating for a beer and a chat!

The support to find work was great as well; preparing us with mock interviews and then helping to get actual job interviews.

Overall the bootcamp has amazing teachers, a great curriculum and fantastic job assistance. I thoroughly recommend it. Go for it, you won’t regret it!!

DevelopMe_ Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at DevelopMe_, 97% graduated. 94% of graduates were job-seeking and 100% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $30,294. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 33 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

We are UK-based bootcamp, please note salary is reported in USD not GBP. GBP starting salary average is £23,200.