developme_-logo

DevelopMe_

Bristol

DevelopMe_

DevelopMe_ offers full-time, 12-week Web Developer Bootcamps, part-time 10-week UX Design Bootcamps, and part-time, 6-week Front End Web Development courses in Bristol, UK. DevelopMe_ was established with a social mission to create inclusive opportunities and give everyone in society access to the digital economy. Courses are taught by industry experts and are project driven and challenge based. In the DevelopMe_ Web Developer Bootcamp (Coding Fellowship) students learn HTML5, CSS3, Sass, JavaScript, React, Redux, React native, Gulp, Git, Vagrant, APIs, PHP, WordPress and the Laravel framework. The UX Design Bootcamp teaches the key skills required to research, define, design, and develop digital services and products based on user-centered design principles. Students learn how to approach problems creatively to design the next generation of apps, websites, and digital products.

Applicants are required to submit an online application, attend an introductory workshop, participate in an interview, and complete pre-course material, before being admitted to a bootcamp.

DevelopMe_ provides CV and interview coaching, networking opportunities with employers, industry mentoring, and ongoing career support, as well as multiple internship opportunities with partner companies to kick-start a new career in tech. Students will learn the tools, technologies, and skills needed to start a career as a Full Stack Web Developer or UX Designer through this talent and digital skills accelerator.

Recent DevelopMe_ Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (39) reviews for DevelopMe_ →

Recent DevelopMe_ News

• Coding Fellowship

Cost£7,995
    LocationBristol
    A full-time immersive 12-week web development bootcamp covering HTML, CSS, Sass, Gulp, JavaScript, React, Redux, React Native, PHP and the Laravel framework. Classes are Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm.
    Deposit£500
    ScholarshipWe have a Code It Forward initiative for the Fellowship where we offer 2 places per cohort on the learn now, pay later salary sacrifice with 0% interest.
    Minimum Skill LevelNone but encourages students to show evidence of interest in coding. i.e. having worked through some online resources, started teaching themselves to code and attended tech events.
    Prep Work50 hours + of coding exercises, reading and tutorials
  • Part-time Front-end

HTML, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Cost£1,500
    LocationBristol
    A part-time (6 evenings, 2 full Saturdays) course teaching the fundamentals of modern front-end web development. Learn how to code mobile-friendly, responsive websites from scratch, using HTML5 and CSS3 and the latest web development practices from industry experts.
    Deposit£500
    ScholarshipThe 'Opportunity Fund' within Develop Me occasionally allows for £500, £1000 reduction in fees and sometimes we make a full fee reduction available. Our Opportunity fund come from donations from our Hiring Partner and a % of fees we put in ourselves.
    Minimum Skill LevelNone but encourages students to show evidence of interest in coding. I.e. having worked through some online resources, started teaching themselves to code and attended tech events.
  • User Experience Design [Part-time]

Cost£2,450
    LocationBristol
    Our part-time User Experience Design (UXD) course will teach you all the key skills required to research, define, design and develop digital services based upon user-centred design principles. The programme’s industry informed curriculum will teach you how to approach problems creatively in order to design the next generation of great apps, websites, and digital products whilst preparing you to pursue opportunities to work as a User Experience Designer. Course overview: 10 week part-time curriculum Thursday evenings + 2 full Saturdays Additional homework & project work Content ratio 30% theory > 70% practical Classroom based with expert instructors Students will be taught the fundamentals of User Centred Design and learn to validate ideas by looping through the design process starting with User Research, Rapid Prototyping, User Testing and Iteration. You will also be introduced to industry standard creative software tools and working processes whilst working on a real ‘live’ client brief. Alongside this practical application of learned skills and techniques – you will be able to demonstrate your ability to successfully manage a project from concept to launch; combining commercially sought after skill-sets – through the application of research, design and technical development. Students will finish the course competent in: Research & Analysis methods Understanding of UX best practice UX processes – Research & analysis methods User/Human-centred design processes Information architecture Creative software tools Visual design principles User Interface (UI) components & design patterns Wireframing, low-fidelity mockups & rapid prototyping Identifying front-end web technologies (Note: This course is not a web development course) Project management, workflow & handover processes Usability testing & validation
    Deposit£500

Minimum Skill LevelNone but encourages students to show evidence of interest in design, technology or related fields
  • UX Fundamentals Workshop

Cost£600
    LocationBristol
    Course Overview Design is the name we give to the task of creating something useful and beautiful. It relies on a multi-disciplinary approach that includes: user research and testing; interface design & brand. Design for digital – ‘Useful, Beautiful, Digital’. Day 1: Research & discovery Intro Business & brand User research methods Communicating the User Experience Day 2: Design & testing Intro Concept & prototyping Graphic design & interaction design Testing designs Instructors Jointly run by digital designer Matt French and UX consultant Stuart Church. They have worked together for over a decade for clients including Sky, The NHS, The office for National Statistics and Bristol University. Matt French specialises in graphic and interaction design, and is Head of Design at the award winning agency 3Sixty. Stuart Church is a UX consultant specialising in UX research & design prototyping and is a founder of The Bristol Usability Group and UX Bristol Conference. With these complimentary skillsets, their aim is provide a course that demonstrates a holistic approach to User Experience design. Workshop Curriculum Day 1 – Research & discovery Introduction to User Experience We explore the foundations of User Experience. It’s history, terminology and some of the key concepts that frame how we approach design problems. We also discuss the use (and mis-use) of different design processes from waterfall to agile. Business & brand We explore what success means and how we capture an ‘experience vision’ for how the design should benefit customers and users. Often a political process, it involves research and exploration of internal business goals and strategies, and aligning these views towards a common design goal. User research techniques Capturing requirements is vital for establishing a clear vision for the design of a website or application. However, knowing when to do research and what types of methods to use can be a minefield. In this session, we explore practical methods for gaining insights into user goals, attitudes and behaviours. These include online surveys, web analytics and contextual research. Communicating UX The translation of research findings into actionable insights is one of the great challenges of design. In this session, we explore the importance of communication and collaboration, and consider different methods and techniques for effectively communicating research insights (e.g. personas, task models, user journeys) Day 2 – Design & testing Intro Why design & test? Internet, web standards, mobile web 1st, apps. Interaction design: utility & beauty Design principles Brand archetypes The brief Concept & Prototyping High level workflow: (Brief to HTML templates). Familiarisation with key tools such as UX Pin and InVision Review UX research (activity) Sketch user journey(s) (activity) Prototyping & testing (activity) Art direction & Style tiles (activity) Type specs & grids. Designing for personas. Writing content for the web. Interaction design / animation Graphic & Interaction design Trends in design. (Material design) Modular design (components). HTML style guide Responsive design. Hierarchy & visual tension. Type on the web. Buttons, links & CTA’s Forms & validation Testing What to measure? Planning & recruitment Moderated testing Remote moderated testing Unmoderated testing AB & MV testing Satisfactions metrics Semantic differentials Eyetracking
    Refund / Guarantee14 Day Cooling Off Period From Purchase

• Jamie Forsyth • Junior Developer • Graduate

If you're looking to get into web development starting from scratch, this is the course for you. It has excellent tuition, a great and varied curriculum, and sets you up with a paid placement at the end of the course to gain that invaluable experience needed to kick start your career. This is a very intensive course, and if considering enrolling you should be prepared to work extremely hard over the 12 week period out get the best out of it.

Overall, this has been a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get in to web development.

• Sarah • Graduate

If you're interested in becoming a web developer and are ready to work hard this course will suit you perfectly. I came into this course looking for a total career change so I could start working in a new and interesting field. I had zero experience in web development but knew it would be something that would suit me. The course is intense and fast paced but if you focus and put in some hard work you will get a lot out of it. The teaching was delievered by industry experts and was of a high standard. There were plenty of opportunities to ask questions, get advice and we got lots of material to work with. Pete and Oli, the course directors were always there to help and I found that they were incredibly supportive and helpful when I needed a bit more guidance. After three months of intense learning we are now all starting or about to start our placements. I think the best thing about this course is that after just three months you will have an opportunity to be in a working environement where you can learn more and get work experience which is incredibly valuable. It was a big risk for me to step away from my old career and start something so new in an intensive learning setting but I am so glad I did it. I feel it has set me up for a successful new career in something I actually enjoy and all of that in such a short amount of time! I'm really happy I did this course and highly recommend it.

• Elizabeth Rollo • Graduate

Oli & Pete have really thought through all the elements of this course to ensure that its members feel supported in their entry to the 'real-world' of web development: the mentoring system; the weekly feedback; the work placement; and the fact that each course tutor was currently working in their chosen field and therefore able to offer genuine insight into contemporary 'pro' tools and tricks, meant that despite the course's relative brevity its effectiveness at preparing its students for a career in web development has felt incredibly strong.

Would thoroughly recommend to anyone looking to move quickly into this field!

• Oliver Ridsdale • Graduate

Upon completing the coding fellowship I feel very confident that I made the right decision.
    The course has delivered everything I wanted and more, All the instructors were very knowledgable, approachable and more than willing to help.

The course directors Oli and Pete know how intense the course can be and regularly check up on you, and make sure you’re heading in the right direction, they’re also constantly looking for feedback which shows they really care about you as a student and the course overall.

The location and studying environment couldn’t be better, with the opportunity to take a time out on the ping pong table when you need switch off for 5 minutes.

I started the course with a small amount of knowledge in HTML, CSS and Javascript. I have since started my work placement and feel confident putting into practice everything I have learnt on the course.

Being assigned a Mentor who is a professional in the industry also offers a great learning experience and really helps to be able to ask about the industry and the different roles available to developers.

I would recommend this course to anyone who is serious about becoming a web developer and is eager to get into the industry. Overall fantastic experience.

• Nathan Walton • Graduate

Enrolling on the Coding Fellowship course is without a doubt one of the best descisions I have made. I feel confident in approaching new subjects and my problem solving skills have improved drastically. All the tutors are friendly, approachable and highly knowledgeable. I would recommend this course to anyone looking to make a positive change in their life.

• Joshua Sweet • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

A little update following my completion of this course in July 2016...

After just two months of proving my skills at my paid work placement (organised by Pete from DevelopMe_) I was offerered a permanent position by the company in October thus completeing my transition to a professional web developer within 6 months, even seeing off competition for the role from recent university graduates with computer science degrees!

As further proof of the relevancy, breadth and depth of the course content, all of my peers from the Spring 2016 cohort are also working in the industry (bar one who had a baby!), each of us using a variety of languages and frameworks covered during the twelve short weeks.

Well done us! Well done DevelopMe_!

• James • Graduate

Attending Develop Me’s Coding Fellowship was a great decision.

The instructors are excellent and have a deep knowledge of each of the topics they are teaching. Being able to talk through your coding with someone that is so experienced really is invaluable.

A lot of the course content is based on real- world projects which was extremely useful as pretty much everything that was taught was of real value.

Oli and Pete, the course directors, are very helpful and supportive throughout and do an excellent job of structuring each week. They are also keen to get you involved in the many meet-ups and after work events that happen around Bristol.

I have recently started my placement with a Bristol- based company and have so far found the areas learnt in the course to be very relevant to say the least! I'm also enjoying the culture change with the company which is a million miles away from my previous job.

All in all, I can fully recommend the Coding Fellowship- it delivers on every aspect.

• Kiran • Graduate

I can’t believe how far I have come thanks to DevelopMe_. I had no prior experience whatsoever but now I am coding every day!

The course provides you with a solid base of full-stack knowledge, giving you the confidence to build on new skills and concepts in your own time. It also opens your eyes to what can be achieved. At times you will feel overwhelmed, frustrated and disheartened but keep the faith, you will not regret it.

Weekly quizzes, meet-ups, one-to-ones, paired coding & self-learning are all valuable parts of the course. I also really enjoyed working on real-world projects and picking up those golden nuggets of information that you may not get elsewhere.

Oli, Pete and the instructors were there for me when I needed their help and advice. It is also comforting to know that they will be there for me as I progress in my placement/career.

All the instructors were enthusiastic and very keen to share their knowledge. They all knew when to push us but also when we needed a break. The lessons were well structured and the curriculum provides you with enough variety to help you decide which languages/technologies you would like to pursue further.

The placement offering is fantastic and if you make the most of it you will see the benefits. I also had a mentor which is a great addition to this course. My mentor gave up their free time to support me and provide me with valuable insight to life working as a developer.

Overall, I am extremely proud to be associated with Develop Me and I would highly recommend this course to anyone looking to start a career as a developer. The founders know what they are doing and are professional and insightful. If you commit to this course 100% you will get a lot out of it.

Al also deserves a mention. He’s a lovely guy!

• Will • Graduate

I had no prior knowledge of coding and I now feel confident enough to start building my own sites. Thanks to the Coding Fellowship I’m really excited to kick start my career as a developer.

The instructors are all respected Bristol developers in their own rights and this really helps with motivation through 12 tough weeks of full time learning.

All the projects throughout the course felt applicable to the real world whilst giving good structure and direction to the learning.

I was very impressed with the course content considering this was only the second run. I'm sure DevelopMe_ will continue to improve the quality of content even further.

I would reccomend this course to anyone looking for a very solid coding foundation. The help we recieved in getting a work placement is an amazing bonus and I'm looking forward to starting my internship at Bristol agency next month.

• Owen Lister Draper • Graduate

I have recently completed the DevelopMe course in December 2016 and will be starting my placement in January. I have found the whole experience very rewarding, it has provided me with the knowledge that I will need to start my career within web development. The 12 week course can be challenging at times but a lot of support is provided, either through assigned mentors or the instructors themselves.

There is a lot of variation on the course, a lot of different languages/frameworks are taught. I think this is very valuable as it allowed me to find what I enjoy and therefore gave me an idea of what I would pursue and focus on.

I am very glad that I decided to do the course and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in the industry.

• Kasia • Graduate

Attending the DevelopMe Coding Fellowship was a great experience.

I joined the first cohort in the last months of my pregnancy with the hope to gain new skills just before the start of my maternity leave. The training was high-paced, but we were receiving a great amount of support from our tutors. Over 12 weeks we had a chance to practice different technologies. The tutors were very helpful and flexible enough to accommodate me doing the last few weeks online from the comfort of my home office. I'm glad of my choice and would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn web development.

I can't wait for my work placement to put all the new skills I gained into practice.

• Simon Capet • Student

Taking DevelopMe's coding fellowship course was a very, very good decision.

I'm 46 and for over twenty years I've had a very different career from web-development. I'd reached a point in my life where I wanted to train to do something different. The time and cost of a university course really didn't appeal to me. I wanted an intense, compressed, skills-based programme that would prepare me to become a junior web-developer.

DevelopMe delivered superbly on all requirements.

I am now placed with an international company working with drupal, PHP, AngularJS, HTML5 and CSS3. Thanks to the broad nature of DevelopMe's programme I had touched on all of these languages before starting my job-placement.

The speed of the coding fellowship and the quantity of information will fry your brain at times, but it's worth every headache. I recommend this programme whole heartedly.

• Simon N • Junior Web Developer • Student

When I heard about what Develop Me were trying to do with the Coding Fellowship I was already excited for them. I was living in Brighton at the time and had no immediate ambitions of leaving. However, the more I learnt about the curriculum and the experts they were getting in, to teach specific modules on the course, the more I realised I couldn’t miss out or delay my decision. We’re now 8 weeks into a 12 week course and I couldn’t be happier with my decision to sign up.

The course and content races along and I’ve learned more in these past two months than I could have taught myself in 2 years. We’re still encouraged to teach ourselves (in the evenings/weekends and solving our own problems before asking for help) but when you know you can get the answer at a moment’s notice it’s not nearly as frustrating. This is a vital skill in becoming a successful web developer and they play the balance just right.

The location and general atmosphere also contribute to a great working environment. The relaxed setting takes the pressure off all the learning, and breaks in the morning and afternoon free you up to play some makeshift table tennis should you wish. I can’t yet comment on the work experience placements but having met two of the three companies involved, I can admit I have high hopes.

Each has its own unique identity, giving us and them the best opportunity of finding a great match and hopefully a continued relationship, maybe even a career. Along with these contacts we have each been given a mentor, as someone to confide in, share our experiences with and learn from. So far my mentor has shown a genuine enthusiasm to get involved with my journey and to offer help along the way. As with every other element on this course, a great deal of attention has been put in to give us the best platform to succeed.

• Joshua Sweet • Student • Student

The Coding Fellowship has so far been an intense journey immersing me in a breadth of core technical concepts as well the vibrant tech scene here in Bristol. There's a huge amount to take in but the supportive atmosphere, knowledgeable instructors and daily table tennis battles make for an excellent learning environment and have helped me to progress a huge amount in just a few weeks.  The course directors, Oli and Pete, really encourage feedback on every aspect of DevelopMe allowing us to have a tangible input into what we learn and how we learn it.

Throughout the course each of us students has been paired with a professional mentor from the industry which for me,  has provided an invaluable perspective on life as a developer, what prospective employers will look for and what I can expect from my career ahead. With several weeks still to go I'm already excited to begin my paid work placement and start putting all my learning into practice at a professional level as a Junior Developer.

DevelopMe_ has an acceptance rate of 30%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at DevelopMe_, 97% graduate. 91% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $30,294.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

We are UK-based bootcamp, please note salary is reported in USD not GBP. GBP starting salary average is £23,200.