actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, Online

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.92

all (378) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (14) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Rails, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.
  • Yossi  User Photo
    Yossi • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I can't yet tell what the ultimate outcome will be career wise, as I just finished the course, but the journey has been amazing.  The instructors and TAs from pre work and on were fantastic.  Brian Rice, the evening online instructor is  an expert teacher and coder.  Education is the name of the game.  It's not as much about what languages you're taught, but how you're taught them.  The goal is to empower you to feel like you have thew ability to pick up any language, learn it, and use it.  It's easier said than done, but it is doable.  The commitment is grueling, yet satisfying.  As a full time worker and father, the schedule is difficult.  It was extremely hard to find any time outside of class to practice.  That's ok, but I do feel that the you'll get the absolute most out of the experience with some extra time outside of class.  Just something to keep in mind.  I highly recommend Actualize.
  • Great class!
    - 5/21/2020
    Nikki  User Photo
    Nikki • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I chose Actualize because of the ability to do the course online, while also still having a structured classroom schedule/setup. I knew doing an "at your own pace" class was not going to be good for me, so Actualize was a fantastic option. It was definitely immersive and interactive. I was hesitant at first to be on camera throughout, but I think it actually helped me bond with the other students and become more comfortable to ask questions (of the teacher and of others). The instructors and the TA's were all very knowledgable and approachable. I would highly recommend this course to either someone looking for a career change and has the time and passion for this type of bootcamp, or someone like myself who is still working full time, can log on in the evenings to attend, and is dedicated to learning!
  • Ariany Mendes  User Photo
    Ariany Mendes • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I love the curriculum of the course, the instructors were always very helpful also the other students.
  • Chikondi Kamvazaana  User Photo
    Chikondi Kamvazaana • Full Stack--Web Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I cannot be more grateful for the support that I was given along with the resources. My instructor--Brian Rice--was everything: helpful, funny, charismatic, and innovative.
    - 5/21/2020
    Ryan  User Photo
    Ryan • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The focus on teaching you how to learn is what drew me to actualize and they definitely delivered. The instruction was always clear and concise and tailored to help you understand complex subjects. The instructor's jokes weren't THAT bad either... While it was digestible it was also challenging. The job hacking portion took my networking game up to another level and many excellent connections and learning experiences were gained as a result of reaching out to others in the industry which I would not have done on my own.
  • Christine R.  User Photo
    Christine R. • Actor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Actualize was recommended to me by a group of Software developers I befriended on my search for the perfect boot camp. I am not disappointed at all and it doesn't hurt that they offer scholarships. The experience was mind blowing and a little scary, but I came out the other end equipped with the skills to help me move forward in my new journey. I am very grateful to Dani Z. (lead instructor), My two TA's, Tori and Benji, My Job career coach (Lisa) who worked tirelessly to help me succeed. I'm also grateful to Jay Wengrow for Founding such a wonderful program and giving back to the community and all future developers out there.
  • Mike  User Photo
    Mike • Junior web developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently finished the Actualize online web development course. I looked long and hard at all the schools. Interviewed at several different programs as well. In the end I choose actualize because I felt the live online classes with an instructor, teaching assistants and other students gave me the best of both worlds. This turned out to be exactly the case! A bonus was all of the content is recorded and documented so you can use it as reference right after a lesson or after the program is over. I felt that the program was well thought out in terms of timing spent on all necessary aspects of learning development concepts, softwares, frameworks and even the basics on command line interaction. All of the content felt on point. There were some technologies I would have liked to have gone over but the rate at which technology moves I understand you can't touch on everything. This is a great course for someone with no previous knowledge in IT or development. I only put 4 stars on the job assistance just because I am starting to get into that aspect of the job search right now. Actualize does start grooming students for how to get prepared for the job market as soon as you start the program. It was good to have a gradual introduction to job assistance right away and throughout the program. I highly recommend this course! Another big take away is they teach you how to learn new concepts and software in the development field.
  • Stand Out
    - 1/24/2020
    Dr. Lillian Ostojich   User Photo
    Dr. Lillian Ostojich • MD, RE Investor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

As a business professional (by trade I am MD, plastic surgeon, with extensive experience and involvement in RE investment industry as well) I do not make any decision lightly, without proper and diligent research on the subject.

When I decided it was time for me to get “literate” by the 21st century standards (meaning - it was time for me to learn to code), my first step was to indulge into deep, extensive search and research of all options.

Decision was placed on Actualize boot camp.  At that point I suspected they were probably good, but little did I know, that Actualize was the best. By far. And by all measures:

• Extremely well-planned curriculum;
    • Founder, Jay Wengrow, not only expert in his filed, book author, educator, but also respected and thoughtful leader of his team;
    • Peter Jang, my instructor, outstanding engineer, with exceptional ability to convey knowledge no matter what level of coding student might be at, super fun too;
    • Lisa Tucker, patient and supportive guide for graduates on their path to get recognized by hiring companies as a signal, not a noise;
    • TAs, Jennifer, Bret and Mark: knowledgeable and well mannered;
    • Campus facilities modern, spacious, inviting, located at hip and convenient River North area of downtown Chicago.

But there was one element where they impressed me, and where no competition will be able to come not even close, and that was a care for their alumni. So much sincere efforts, support and assistance for every graduate during their positioning to get a career and job of their dreams I haven't seen yet in my (long professional) career. And this human element is the final and the most critical reason why I think it will be almost impossible to beat them at the throne of being the best.

• Dan  User Photo
    Dan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

At first, I fell into the trap of, "I can do this by myself" - after all, I had taught myself HTML and CSS. However, when one decides on persuing programming as a vocation, it is important to due the proper due diligence and invest in the proper process in order to ensure success. Enter Actualize. During my time as an Actualize student, I have been able to go beyond my comfort zone in regard to my programming and "soft" (interpersonal) skills related to the job search process, allowing me to master new skills and confidently move forward with my goal of attain a job as a Software Developer. If you are feeling stuck in regard to mastering your programming skills, head to Actualize - you will be amazed at what you are abile to accomplish!

• full stack
    Shloimi Minkowicz  User Photo
    Shloimi Minkowicz • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Actualize because they focus one stack well, and they focus on the fundamentals, and teach us to learn other languages.
    Peter the instructor really focusses on the students and really cares about them, and he makes sure that they are successful in what they do !!!

• Actualize Review
    Matt Nelsen  User Photo
    Matt Nelsen • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Starting even from before the pre-work I never felt like I was alone. From the moment you are enrolled at Actualize to the moment you graduate and beyond you have that sense that you are part of a family. I was in Peter's class during the night class and I never felt like I was being neglected or ignored when I was struggling or had a question. With being new to software engineering I learned more than I could ever imagine in the 12 weeks of being enrolled and know that I will feel the same way post-graduation and I continue my job search. The staff at Actualize is absolutely fantastic all the way from the teachers assistant all the way to the CEO who is very hands on and always willing to help out each and every student no matter the time of day. I recommend Actualize to everyone I talk to if they are between choosing bootcamps because they truly make you part of the Actualize family.

• Great instruction
    Megan  User Photo
    Megan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I participated in the evening/weekend bootcamp taught by Peter. He's an excellent instructor, extremely committed, very supportive, very helpful. I learned so much over the course of 12 weeks, and the job hacking / support is thorough, helpful, and continues well beyond the time of the bootcamp. I'm so glad I decided to make this career transition with Actualize.