actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, Online

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.92

all (453) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (15) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Rails, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.
  • Matthew Katz  User Photo
    Matthew Katz • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Actualize was an amazing experience where you learn so much in such a short period of time. The program starts with a month of pre-work where you learn the fundamentals of coding syntax and data types, then from there you start the 3 months of live instruction where you learn to create full stack applications. They do a great job teaching you lots of complex concepts, in their entirety, quickly and effectively. The curriculum is excellent and my instructor was a really great teacher as well. If you are looking for a bootcamp to launch your career in tech, I couldn't think of a better place.
  • Bootcamp Grad
    - 5/19/2022
    Daniel Ibrag  User Photo
    Daniel Ibrag • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Overall it was a great experience, the online course was fantastic. Originally i had an expectation that the online course would be half baked and feel a bit experimental but that was not the case at all. Its hard not to recommend this bootcamp to anybody who i know that would be interested in a career as a software developer!
  • Michael Beard  User Photo
    Michael Beard • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came to Actualize after reading many, many course reviews. A friend of mine is an Actualize Alum, and he recommended it highly. I will say if you're looking for something to help you start a new career in software development, this is definitely worth the money and the time. Knowledgable staff, and so helpful with learning to learn to code, and figuring out what comes next.
  • Greg West  User Photo
    Greg West • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Actualize enabled me to learn an incredible amount in a relatively short amount of time. Before Actualize I was learning as much as I could through self study. I was able to learn about algorithms and other puzzle-solving style coding problems, but I wasn't learning much at all about practical programming and how to BUILD things with a computer! This is where Actualize excels, and I don't think I could have learned how to build a full stack web application in even 1/10th of the time on my own. Actualize gives you the tools you need to transition into a career in web development with actual skills beyond just theoretical computer science knowledge. There's also a great job hacking program where you're guided by career counselors, and there's an extremely supportive network of people who want to see you succeed. If you're like me and are burnt out from a career that doesn't value your skills as highly as you feel you deserve, I can't recommend Actualize highly enough.

• Dylan Sarikas  User Photo
    Dylan Sarikas • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    You may be interested in learning to program but confused about what a “Full Stack Developer” actually is.  Let me explain.  A Full Stack Developer is a web developer who works on both client and server software.  This is often referred to as the “Front End” and the “Back End”.  The Front End is what you see when you go to any website, how the page layout looks, how the buttons, menus, and forms all operate.  The Back End is where a lot of the logic and data for the website exists.  This would be where, for example, a website like Twitter would store all of the tweet data.  So if that sounds like a field you’d like to work in, then learning to become a Full Stack Developer would be excellent.  But Actualize also teaches general coding knowledge and just about everything you learn is transferable to another programming language.

It was a great experience and I think the attribute that sets Actualize apart from other, larger coding bootcamp is how much they actually care about you.  I had two friends who before me went to the two largest coding bootcamps and while they also enjoyed their experiences, we all agreed that Actualize cared the most about our personal success.  This is most evident with the “Job Hacking” that takes place at least once a week that really prepares you to step into the world of a programmer after bootcamp.  There are career counselors who meet with you personally 1-on-1 several times after the course of the bootcamp to get to know you and really tailor a plan to help you land a job, because that’s what this is really all about.

• Corrie  User Photo
    Corrie • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Living in Chicago, but applying to bootcamps in the pandemic, I was curious whether I should wait to apply to Actualize until things opened up back in-person, or if I should apply for the online class. After sitting in and observing a previous remote cohort, I went for it and am glad I did. Our instructor created a great atmosphere where I really got to know other students from around the country, we had inside jokes and met up outside of class to work together on homework. I also enjoyed the format of the curriculum, which consisted of short lectures, then a chance to practice the concept yourself on something different but related, and then a review if you were stuck/didn't quite get it. The whole vibe of the instructors and career advisors matches their pitch deck and you truly feel the Actualize staff is here for you, supporting you on a learning journey and invested in your success. The curriculum focuses on Ruby on Rails and Javascript and Vue.JS, which were great languages and frameworks to learn the concepts quickly and easily. I know I have a lot more to learn, but I left empowered to learn more and keep building things.
  • Bootcamp Grad
    Ben Astengo  User Photo
    Ben Astengo • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Actualize far exceeded my expectations of what I thought I could get out of a bootcamp in such a short amount of time.  If you're someone that has to maintain a job while attending this class remotely let me be an example of how anyone can absolutely do it.  I came into actualize being an insanely burnt out truck driver working roughly 65 hours a week ready to make a career change. Going to school during the week and driving on the weekends is one of the most daunting things I've ever done in my life and I couldn't be any happier in taking the plunge.  Actualizes course is perfect for the student that starts with 0 knowledge of web development and still has a work-life balance to manage outside of school.  Dani is the best teacher i've ever had including high school/college.  Apply to actualize!!!!
  • Overall Experience
    Camden Parker  User Photo
    Camden Parker • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I am very pleased to report that Actualize has been a wonderful experience for me as a whole. The people I got to know and the strategies I learned during this camp have already become invaluable to me. The professors here are fantastic, and the TA's as well. They provide excellent help and teaching in all circumstances, the resources provided are incredible. If you are looking to get into the best bootcamp at the best price this is your place! The online aspect also worked perfectly with my schedule and provided me with my first remote experience on a computer for school or work and I really value the online camp for that purpose. If you have read this far you should honestly just go check out the camp and apply.... Actualize for the win!
  • Ro  User Photo
    Ro • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I just graduated from the Actualize Coding Bootcamp today!! It was honestly such an amazing experience. Actualize will provide you with all the support you need to make that career change to software development. HOWEVER, it is much more important that you yourself have the drive to become a software developer. No bootcamp will do that for you. In my case, I was extremely motivated to do well, and for that reason, I believe I was able to unlock the full potential of Actualize Coding Bootcamp. My instructor Dani was an amazing resource, and I'm grateful she put up with all the questions I asked her throughout my time there. My career advisor Sarah was also fantastic. She helped me through many job applications and a lot of great job-searching advice. My classmates were also a pleasure to work with. I plan to make use of my unlimited access to both Actualize's bootcamp materials and career help to get my first job as a software developer!
  • A Great Choice!
    Anthony  User Photo
    Anthony • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Actualize is the best decision I've ever made when it came to deciding a bigger step in life. Not only were the other student's amazing but you become friends with everyone their and the environment of the classes are amazing. If you're having troubles they will help you to the best of their ability and they want to see nothing more than for you to succeed and grow as a web developer as well as a person.
  • Kevin G  User Photo
    Kevin G • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I applied to Actualize due to a friend's recommendation. I have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science that I received in 2016 and worked as a Unity3d developer for a year. After that I started playing video games professionally and took a huge break from coding. I signed up for the bootcamp to help me learn new aspects of coding and help me focus in on web development. The bootcamp pushed me to learn about full stack web development in a structured environment and taught you not just coding concepts, but overall important skills to help be successful in anything you do. It was a blast and I immensely enjoyed the experience!
  • Thomas Dhinsa  User Photo
    Thomas Dhinsa • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Actualize was my choice out of four other coding bootcamps. I was initially impressed with their website and even more so when I went to linked in and, saw that Actualize had so many Alums. After a little research as well as some actualize tutorials, My choice was made and I couldn't be happier about the decision. The skills taught are necessary and the Actualize curriculum bridges all the gaps between languages wonderfully. I'd recommend Actualize to anyone.