actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, Online

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.91

all (392) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (14) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Rails, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.
  • Dylan Cross  User Photo
    Dylan Cross • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My expectations were high and Actualize still managed to exceed them by a long shot.

When I was originally doing research to find a bootcamp that met my needs, Actualize stood out compared to other cohorts such as Fullstack. The only thing that was kind of spooky to me was how unanimously positive almost all of the reviews for Actualize were. An average of 4.1 out of 5 almost always feels more genuine than a 5 out of 5. Actualize is a massive exception to that rule. I'm not sure what it's average rating is, but it must be close to a perfect 5/5. Until I went through this, I really didn't believe it could be THAT good.
    What can I say that hasn't been said in any of the previous reviews? I was part of the first full-time cohort (as opposed to the part-time night cohorts that were previously the only option) and as a result, got to pour my entire life into it. 5 weeks of remote prework followed by 12 weeks of intense, non-stop learning and application. I won't sugar coat it, it's hard as hell, if you don't cry at least once, you're either already way too advanced to be considering the program or you're not paying attention. In spite of how difficult it can be, there is so much support here from all the staff. There's a palpable sense of emotional intelligence that takes into consideration the stress one goes through when learning as much as you do in such a short amount of time while unemployed and living off of savings for 4 months. It's scary, but so incredibly gratifying by the time you make it through. Out of the 14 members of my cohort, every single one of us finished even when almost all of us, at one point or another, felt like quitting from the pressure. If there is another bootcamp out there that does what Actualize does, I've yet to hear about it.
    I hope my review helps to sway anyone on the fence or currently in the process of doing research towards a bootcamp experience.

• Course Review
    - 3/29/2019
    Anjelica  User Photo
    Anjelica • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I just graduated from the first daytime cohort at Actualize and highly recommend it for anyone looking to make a career change. I had researched all of the coding bootamps located in Chicago and decided on Actualize after the positive reviews I read. The environment is welcoming and the instructors make coding fun. I had no previous coding experience and am amazed by how much we learned in 12 weeks.

• Patty Hwang  User Photo
    Patty Hwang • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Five stars all the way -- this program is intense but worth every moment. Actualize supports and encourages each one of their students, regardless of experience level. This coding bootcamp gently nudges you to push yourself and surpasses all expecations of what you knew (or didn't know) about coding and the tech industry.

Coming from a place of little knowledge about code, I dived head first into this program, unsure of what to expect. But after 12 intense and life changing weeks, I've learned more than what I could have taught myself, built webapps from scratch with other my other fellow developer classmates, and completed a capstone project on my own using the skills taught by Actualize.

• What a ride!
    - 3/29/2019
    Chris Solis  User Photo
    Chris Solis • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The course is intense, but can be done. You must be fully committed to the cause in order to make this work. The instructors were always available to answer your questions, not matter how many times you asked them, or if you repeatedly asked the same question. The job assitance that comes with the course is also great!  Lisa Tucker does a phenomenal job of making time to see you and assist you. I did the fulltime cohort, so I can only speak on behald of that. I have no regrets, I am glad I did this.

• Chris Adamo  User Photo
    Chris Adamo • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I did my rounds on the review sites, talked with admissions people from other fulllstack bootcamps, and networked with other bootcamp grads before deciding on Actualize. What drew me in was the flexibility of taking the class remotely in the evening hours (I have a day job), and getting a full stack education in only 16 weeks. How did they do this? Not by cutting corners, or by hiring unskilled instructors! It is in their teaching methodology and philosophy. What I learned was not just how to build a fullstack app/site. I did learn that, but what I also learned was far more valuable. I learned how to learn to code. Yes, the teach how to learn to code. That makes the skills you learn at Actualize applicable to any language and framework from HTML to JS, and SQL that you want or need to learn. Oh and the kicker...due to their efficient teaching methodology, they do this at half the price of other bootcamps.

• What A Ride!
    - 12/20/2018
    Shaunda   User Photo
    Shaunda • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

What an experience. I am a recent grad of Actualize and I have nothing but good words to say. I was apart of the online evening/weekend course with six other students. The level of support I received from the instructor, TA and classmates were unbelievable. Everyone wants to see you win and start a career as a web developer.

My background is in social work and I never thought I could become a web developer. It takes a lot of patience and determination to finish this course, but if you're truely passionate about learning how to build web apps and challenging yourself, then I say go for it. I have no regrets whatsoever.

• Thomas Ng  User Photo
    Thomas Ng • Sys Admin • Student Verified via GitHub

About me: I have just finished my capstone project after attending Actualize for months. I am in the IT field already (sys admin, wifi design, network infranstrure) and took a couple of years of C++ in college a long long time ago. I hated code at the time because of the haphazard and antiquated learning patterns of my university (having to write C++ functions in pencil!).

Before choosing a bootcamp, I interview many people in the field to get their experiences. Actualize came up repeatidly for both in-person and online.

I attended Actualize online after work. Despite my hesitations about a online class I really felt supported and empored at Actualize. With a 11 hour work day (with commute) they were still able to keep me engaged and motivated with a perfectly balanced curriculum and amazing teachers/TA. I always felt like I had someone I can reach out to, and that my fellow peers were friends and part of a community.

I will whole heartidly recommend again and again.

• Great Program
    - 12/20/2018

I had been contemplating attending a bootcamp for a while but was hesitant to jump in and do it.  Finally after about a year I decided to join one.  I browsed over some reviews , and decided on actualize after generally positive reviews as well as being able to attend my full-time job while attending.  Overall, I'm very pleased with my decision to join actualize.  it's pretty fast paced and intensive but the curriculum is well-structured and the instructors are excellent.  Got along very well with the other members of the cohort.  Everyone was very motivated, and willing to work together and help eachother.  which also added to the experience.  overall I'm quite satisfied with what I have learned and glad to have this experience.

• Mike  User Photo
    Mike • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came into Actualize knowing virtually nothing about coding, save for some basic understanding of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. In 12 weeks, I learned how coding languages and frameworks are put together, and now feel comfortable taking on any language/framework. More importantly, I learned a lot about myself - how to push myself, how to have confidence in myself, and what it truly takes to achieve a final product. The instructors at Actualize are terrific, but Lisa (Actualize's career counselor) is the diamond of the organization. She gave me so much perspective and support as I underwent a huge career change - she's worth the price of admission herself.

The curriculum focuses heavily on Ruby/Rails and Vue.js, but I wish a little more time was spent exploring other languages and frameworks. As well, I was placed in a fairly undiverse cohort (although seeing other cohorts on campus, I know this is not the norm), which made it a little difficult to fit in as a queer person. With all of that being said, the curriculum and the instruction were incredibly well presented, and all of the instructors were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Definitely recommend this school!

• Richard  User Photo
    Richard • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As a graduate with a undergranduate degree in computer science, I felt I was lacking the skills needed to do web development. I tried to learn on my own with codeacademy and codewars. Those can only take you so far. I did further research and came upon coding bootcamps like Actualize and Fullstack Academy. What drew me to Actualize was the curriculum and the flexible schedule (Weeknights and Sundays)

Actualize is perfect for those who want a carrer change or for those who want to obtain the skills to make an app. The first part of the experience requires diligence and perservance. You will only get what you put in. The other half is the interaction between your peers, the instructor, the TAs, and you. It will surprise you to see how close you get when going through the same struggles. At the end of the course you end up with a new family.

Josh, Addie, Brittany, Natale, and Jen helped push me past my comfort zone when it came to my capstone project. They let you come up with the idea and then give you advice on how to improve it. You then realize that you now have a new mindset on what makes an app. You feel their passion in web development and for your success which made my whole experience enjoyable.

• Kyle  User Photo
    Kyle • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After getting my degree in marketing and spending the first five years in sales roles that never felt fulfilling, I needed to make a change in my career to something that would give me more flexibility, better upward mobility, and overall happiness.

I had completed a few Codecademy courses in the past, but needed something that would supply me with a bit more structure. So after seeing Actualize's great reviews, especially for their in-class Chicago campus, I applied and was accepted to the July 2018 cohort.

Over the next few months, I learned more than I ever could have possibly imagined. The course is fast-paced and challenging, but once things start to stick, by the end you have a strong foundation and jumping off point for your future career in development. I met some amazing classmates during my time here, and my lead instructor Josh and all the TA's were fantastic, patient, knowledgeable and overall great people.

I couldn't recommend Actualize more to anyone who is curious about programming but doesn't know where to start their career. It doesn't get much better than this.

- 11/17/2018
    Tatiana Pena  User Photo
    Tatiana Pena • Student Verified via GitHub

I took the 13 weeknight course and it was intense. It is a coding Bootcamp and it is intended to teach you full-stack within 13 weeks. It is a short-term commitment but it will take all your free time.