actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, Online

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.91

all (392) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (14) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Rails, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.
  • Actualize Review
    - 5/15/2019
    Susmita  User Photo
    Susmita • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I am amazed by all the information we have learned in just four months! Coming into Actualize I had very little experience with coding and web development, however, by the end of the course, I was able to create a complete web application by myself with both a working front-end and a back-end. I took the part-time online course while working a full-time job and while the course was challenging at times it was still both manageable and enjoyable. Actualize provided me with a very strong foundation to continue learning upon. Whenever I had questions the instructors were readily available. There is also a great job hacking program in place for graduates which not only helps grads with finding jobs but also helps in making sure we continue coding and learning through graduate initiative projects. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in starting a career in web development.

• Videsh Patel  User Photo
    Videsh Patel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This is probably one of the best bootcamps out there. They provide you everything you need to succeed and also has as strong job placement program.

It is amazing how much you will learn in 12 weeks. I can say that this has build a great foundation for me to pursue my career.

• Joey Harbert  User Photo
    Joey Harbert • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I heard about Actualize through google and sites like this one. Really wonderful experience! Great pace, really responsive staff, always ready to help you through any questions you have. At the end, you'll have a project you have built that you can add to your portfolio, as well as skills to start the inevitable job hunt. The main course focus is on programming fundamentals using Ruby, back-end API development using Ruby on Rails, front end with Vue.js as well as some quick detours here and there. Not sure what any of that means? No problem! Through the course pre-work and first couple weeks of the camp, Actualize will get you up to speed. You'll leave with skills to help you feel confident as you enter the workforce. They teach you the building blocks of coding, as well as how to apply those building blocks to new languages, which is invaluable. I would recommend Actualize to coding newbies and intermediate coders. I will say, if you're advanced (in web-development) and looking to brush up or learn a new language in a structured environment, you will certainly be able to do that here, it will just be at a pace that is slower than what you'd probably want.

• Adrian Fernandez  User Photo
    Adrian Fernandez • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before enrolling into Actualize, I researched so many different coding bootcamps, but Actualize was the one that stood out the most to me. I had no prior coding experience, though it was tough, I gained so much insight and made my very own app! Everyone here is great, supportive, and understandable. That's something I truly enjoyed the most, that they understood this isn't going to be easy, but made sure I pulled through. I highly recommend Actualize to anyone who's experienced or not. Great way to take the first step into Software Development.

• Graduate
    - 5/15/2019
    Preston   User Photo
    Preston • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Course work was unbelievably challenging and the pace was dizzying, but the online course was easily as rewarding as any class I've taken in person. Brian and his TA Josh went above and beyond in being engaging, present, and accessible. There is a delicate balance between teaching someone and giving them the answer, especially when the pace of learning is so accelerated. The instructors walked that line delicately. My only complaint was that there wasn't more time to learn.

• Daniel Hovorka  User Photo
    Daniel Hovorka • Support Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I heard about Actualize through some developers at the company I work for. They had started their careers here and have been quite successful. That was enough of a testimonial for me to commit.

The overall experience was what I was looking for which was a wholeistic approach to software engineering.  No bootcamp is going to turn you into a master coder but it will show you the fundamentals and give you a solid foundation to build off of. You will get out of this course what you put into it.

Actualize is a good chocie for someone who has an idea of what they want. I believe having clear goals in mind prior to starting bootcamp is important. I did the night cohort which meant long days but in the end was very much worth it.  At the end of bootcamp I was able to make an internal transition to the development team at my company.

• Actualize review
    - 5/9/2019
    Jon   User Photo
    Jon • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I chose Actualize based on the night program that allowed me to keep my job during the day. Also the location was great as I already worked downtown. The experience was great I learned a TON. I really needed a classroom setting with an instructor to take the next step in my development and Actualize provided just that. I would recommend this Bootcamp to anyone interested in web development or looking to sharpen their skills as a web developer. It is a great place to learn no matter what your background is. The instructors and everyone involved were awesome.

• Brandon Ray  User Photo
    Brandon Ray • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Actualize among all the other bootcamp alternatives because they seemed to focus a lot on pedagogy, the process of teaching and learning. I knew that technical expertise wouldn't mean much if the instructors didn't know how to convey that expertise in a way that helped students grow. And boy, did Actualize deliver. Every step of the way, I felt challenged but always supported. I was given the gift of learning *how to be a programmer*, not how to memorize a specific syntax. I know, going forward, that I can fill in the gaps of what I don't know, and continue to grow as a developer becuase of the skills I learned here. It's the best decision I've ever made from a professional/education standpoint, and I would enthusiastically recommend it to anyone who is seeking to become a programmer.

• Actualize Review
    - 5/9/2019
    Mike Browne  User Photo
    Mike Browne • Data Analyst • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Peter Jang lead an intesne 12 week bootcamp where I got to learn the fundamentals of coding and how to think like a developer. I would recommend Actualize highly to anyone who is looking to enter the coding world or improve their skills. Not only is the curriculum well planned, but their job assistance that comes with the bootcamp is wonderful.

• Michael Dotson  User Photo
    Michael Dotson • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Let's see... to start I was a bit skeptical as I'm sure you will be also starting something new. I knew what it was I wanted to do (learn to develop my own websites so I could stop paying thousands of dollars for a finished project nothing as I wanted) but wasn't sure which would be the best avenue to pursue. I thought about attending a JC and obtaining a CS degree but quickly found out how much I can't stand an instructor who is as dry (no pun intended) as boiled sand and speaks like Bill Stein.
     I needed something that was in line with my character and learning style. I checked out a few bootcamps, which all claimed to be the best (marketing tool), yet the only beacon in the dark was Actualize. The emphasized teaching over learning to code and how their instructors were educators of some form or another so I gave it a shot. The pre-work was pretty easy as I had just completed a pre-bootcamp course prior. Also, it gave me a chance to compare the teaching styles of the two different bootcamps. Actualize immediately stood out as the place I wanted to be. Although my cohort mates were from all walks of life and backgrounds, we seemed to mesh almost instantly like a family. It could have been the common desire of wanting to learn code, but whatever it was, it made life so much easier. My experience learning with another bootcamp also yielded high learning in a short amount of time, but the stress factor was through the roof. Knowing if I failed a few tests I'd be kicked out of the bootcamp is something I did not want looming over my head while trying to learn something completely new.
    All in all, my experience with Actualize is one I will always remember and can look back on in a few years and say that's where I got my start at and that's the reason this great site I built exists today.

• Rachel F  User Photo
    Rachel F • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I can't stress enough how much one-on-one access you have with your instructor and ta's. It is a bootcamp and things come at you hard and fast. You'll get some things, not get others, and that one-on-one time will be invaluable. This will be the basis from where you'll begin your journey to learn other languages and decide where to focus as you move forward. You'll get out as much as you put in, and you'll be amazed at what you can build.

Start practicing your algorithms now..you'll thank me!

Good luck!

• Sarah Hoopes  User Photo
    Sarah Hoopes • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Really amazing course that covers everything you'll need to know to form a foundation for software engineering. Almost all of the prework and the first half of the course is spent doing backend work, which I think is the best way to learn coding and train yourself how to solve problems like a programmer. The course covers multiple languages and frameworks, but it doesn't overload you by trying to have you learn too many at once. The instructor and the TAs are extremely knowledgeable as well as flexible with their time. Definitely recommend - it's worth the cost!