tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator offers a full-time, 14-week coding bootcamp that prepares students for a career as a software developer. Prospective students can choose to study Java or .NET. Bootcamp students also learn HTML, CSS, SQL, API, and JavaScript. The bootcamp runs Monday through Friday, 9-4:30pm, and has a low student-to-instructor ratio to ensure the best support environment for participants.

Tech Elevator’s career-readiness Pathway Program is responsible for high placement outcomes and includes personalized coaching sessions, interview practice, 6 months of placement support post-graduation, and alumni and mentor networking. Tech Elevator also offers its students and alumni direct connections to employers through employer showcases and interviewing events.

Tech Elevator’s instruction is typically delivered both remotely and in-person at campuses located in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Charlotte, Detroit, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Tech Elevator also offers students beyond its core markets, and throughout North America, class options through its National Live Remote program.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (293) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (47) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date May 10, 2021
    LocationPhiladelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    May 10, 2021 - Cincinnati Apply by April 26, 2021
  • Java Coding Bootcamp - Remote

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date March 1, 2021
    LocationOnline, Charlotte, Detroit, Chicago
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    March 1, 2021 - Online Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Charlotte Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Detroit Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Chicago Apply by February 15, 2021
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, .NET, ASP.NET, CSS, MVC, SQL, GitHub
    Start Date May 10, 2021
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    May 10, 2021 - Cincinnati Apply by April 26, 2021
    May 10, 2021 - Pittsburgh Apply by April 26, 2021
    May 10, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by April 26, 2021
    May 10, 2021 - Columbus Apply by April 26, 2021

• Leap of faith
    - 5/12/2017
    Andrew Jaros  User Photo
    Andrew Jaros • .Net Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

I’ll start by saying that this was the best professional decision I’ve ever made in my life. I was hired as a .Net Developer two weeks prior to graduation and started working the Monday after. While I won’t reveal my exact salary, I nearly doubled what I was earning prior (and no, I was not working at minimum wage). I’ve had plenty of highs and lows at companies prior so I just want to start by providing some background information on my journey.

Background:

I graduated from high school in 2005 and went to college for one year before dropping out. I took five years off, working odd jobs before returning to finish with B.A. in Political Science. Afterward, I moved to Ohio and worked on several statewide political campaigns, in the state legislature as an aide, and on a U.S. Senate race. The schedule was exhausting, the pay was low, and my morale after so many losses was even lower. I was at a crossroads in my life.

I always had a knack for working with computers but no real programming experience outside of my love of spreadsheets (if you would even consider that programming). During the last campaign, I was assessing an issue with one our routers when a coworker offhandedly asked me why I wasn’t doing this (IT) for a living. I was taken aback by the comment because I just had never seriously considered it. A lot of it had to do with how I decided to pursue political science, not computer science, while in college. The thought stayed with me for days. I browsed Indeed & Monster for IT jobs but was bummed that I just didn’t think I would have any way of figuring out all of the required technologies on my own. There’s a lot to know even for an entry-level job!

So after the 2016 election, my job ended and I was looking for the next thing. I was talking with a friend who works in the tech industry and he recommended I check out coding boot camps and specifically mentioned Tech Elevator. He said that his company had hired from there and that they look for boot camp graduates specifically.

Admittedly, I was nervous. I was tens of thousands of dollars in debt from student loans, car loans, credit cards, random life events, etc. The price tag seemed too high. If it didn’t work out, I don’t know if I would have been able to recover. But I knew that if I stayed in politics, I would be in the same position that I was the year before: overworked, underpaid, and worse – unsatisfied. I was going to have to take out a private loan for the course. Luckily, because my previous job had ended, I was able to stay collect unemployment compensation while taking this course (it’s considered workforce re-entry training). Was it a scam? A money grab? I deliberated for a couple weeks then I did it:

I took a leap of faith.

My time at Tech Elevator:

If you apply for this program with the expectation that it’s going to be easy, don’t even bother. For the entirety of the 14-week program, I was completely consumed in code. Any semblance of free time on nights and weekends was gone, but I was okay with it! I wanted to learn more and grow my skills as much as I could. My instructor John is a bright, passionate, hilarious person. He seemed to be available pretty much any hour of the day when I had a question for him (sorry John’s family). He was patient with students and put in the time to work individually when anyone needed it. I cannot speak higher of John’s knowledge of .Net and his desire to teach others.

As for other staff at Tech Elevator, Katie was every student’s career guidance counselor / guardian angel. She would go out of her way to get students focused on the bigger picture (i.e. finding a job) and would go to bat for us if we felt like we were in a tough spot with an employer.

Around the time employer match-making ended, a recruiting company reached out to me via LinkedIn about a potential opportunity. In my previous career, anyone reaching out like made me suspicious but in technology, that’s par for the course. The field is so in-demand right now! I had to complete 4 separate interviews (3 with the recruiting company and 1 with the company I’m placed at right now) but I got the job! The technologies I had learned lined up almost exactly with what they were looking for.

Conclusion:

I have a new career as a .Net Developer at a major energy company in Columbus. Given that I have a non-IT college degree, I needed to follow a non-traditional path to break into the field. Taking that leap of faith was the most worthwhile thing I’ve ever done. If you’ve always had a knack for technology and want to make a career change – seriously – take the leap. You won’t regret it.

Final Thoughts:

- Say goodbye to your social life, say hello to code

- You will not be able to have a full-time job during this course. Part time? Maybe, but I wouldn’t have been able to concentrate enough if I had done that (some did)

- Go to networking events! Don’t do what I did and not attend a single one. Even though I am gainfully employed and loving it, who knows who I would have met or where I’d be if I had gone. Just do it!

- It’s okay to feel overwhelmed by the enormity of what you’re undertaking. You will not leave an expert in any of the technologies and no employer worth their salt would ever expect you to be able to perform the duties of a senior or mid-level developer

- Practice talking about the technologies you’re learning. My biggest hurdle was confidently communicating what I learned to industry professionals. I eventually wised up and did a TON of practicing, but do not underestimate how important it is to do this

- Don’t expect to be the best programmer there. You’ll have to pass aptitude tests to even get in, so they don’t just let anyone become a student. Their standards are high. Every student had strengths in different areas so listen and learn

- It’s worth it

• Erum Khan  User Photo
    Erum Khan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have been a stay at home mom for the last decade. For quite some time, I had wanted to restart my career but didn’t know how to go about it. Tired of not getting anywhere with my attempts, and inspired by the reviews of TE alumni, I decided to take the plunge and enrolled at TE.

In a little more than 3 weeks since graduation, I have received 2 job offers, negotiated a raise in salary (again with guidance from TE), and have come to know many people I can reach out to in the future. I have also gained confidence in my strengths, and the technical knowledge that I have amassed at TE.

Now a bit about the process that brought about this transformation for me :)

First, the program was fully remote for my cohort. I was uncertain about how effective and rigorous remote learning could be, but from the comfort of my home, I felt like I was fully engaged in all the activities at TE. I got to work closely with people, and was amazed by how much could be accomplished virtually - we attended classes, employer showcases, panel discussions, presentations, worked in teams for our capstones and paired assignments, participated in whiteboard sessions, interviewed with companies, etc.

Second, the technical curriculum is very well organized, and is updated regularly. During technical interviews, I came to learn how relevant the curriculum at TE is to current industry needs. My instructor was clearly an expert in the subject matter covered, and moreover, would often give tips about standard practices in the tech industry, stress upon which material was important to know for interviews, etc. Over the course of the 14 weeks, I came to deeply appreciate his availability, concern and respect for each of his students, and his knowledgeable answers to (and endless patience for) my many questions. I interacted in some form or another with each of the Pittsburgh TE staff, and found every one of them to be informed, helpful, and clearly invested in their students’ success.

Third, the learning process at TE involves much more than technical knowledge. We created resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and “elevator pitches”, and learnt how to make contacts and apply for jobs. We also practiced interviewing for HR, behavioral, and technical interviews. Each one of us, as we are receiving offers, get guidance through ensuing negotiations.

Fourth, TE has a relationship with many local tech companies, and this gives its students a distinct advantage over other candidates for jobs available with these companies. Many of these companies have hired TE graduates, been happy with their hires, and now return regularly for more hires. Closer to the end of the cohort, TE organizes an event called “Matchmaking”, where students interview with companies that are actively recruiting for jobs. This is an invaluable event for the students and leads to job offers for many of them.

Fifth, students (even remote ones) get to work with others on a regular basis. Paired assignments were given every week, and I got to work with a team for each of the 3 capstones. The last of these was two weeks long, and we followed the Agile methodology (which is practiced by many companies), complete with a product manager and scrum master, daily standups, demos, post demo discussions, and a final presentation to everyone at TE.

If all of this sounds a bit much for 14 weeks, it’s because it is :) However, it is entirely doable if one treats TE like a full time job, works hard, and trusts the process. Attending TE was a truly unique and wonderful experience for me… I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone interested in revamping/ starting out their career in tech!
  • Jeff  User Photo
    Jeff • Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    After being a teacher for the past six years I decided to quit my job in July. Soon after I received my acceptance from Tech Elevator and began their Java program in September with virtually zero coding experience. Over the next 14 weeks I would be challenged unlike ever before but I would also achieve a sense of accomplishment unlike ever before. Tech Elevator instructors and pathway directors work tirelessly to ensure your success. I could not imagine trying to learn how to code on my own let alone successfully find a job. Working(virtually) alongside other students with similar goals was incredibly helpful. At Tech Elevator you gain access to recruiters, employers, and alumni for employer showcases, mock interviews and matchmaking. The fact that Tech Elevator is able to successfully run their program virtually like it was created to be virtual just goes to show how hard everyone works to make this program a success. I graduated from TE on December 18 and accepted my first position as a software developer this week! I will forever be grateful to Tech Elevator for making my transition from education to technology so incredibly successful!
  • Esaiyas   User Photo
    Esaiyas • Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I would pick Tech Elevator from any boot-camp around Columbus due to its curriculum, knowledge of the instructors, networking, matchmaking and everyone always ready to help with no time limits. The curriculum helps anyone with no background in IT to someone who wants to improve their coding skills.
    If you are dedicated and willing to work hard, then this is the right place which can change your life.
  • Jessica Gib  User Photo
    Jessica Gib • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I really appreciated how well my instructors and pathway directors prepared me for interviews. I also appreciated how knowledgeable the instructors were in the subject matter. My instructor had a knack for explaining things that made me better able to retain the information. Tech Elevator was a worthy educational experience.
  • Amazing Decision
    - 12/21/2020
    Vinny Bucci   User Photo
    Vinny Bucci • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    After coming from a few different careers the idea of starting a coding bootcamp seemed ridiculous to me. Being able to have a new career after 3 months seemed like the biggest scam to me but after meeting and talking with the faculty at Tech Elevator I quickly realized this was the furthest thing from a scam. Everyone that is employed there is thinking of your best interests and the ultimate goal of getting a job. There is not enough words to express how amazing everyone who works here is. They care about you as a student and as a person and want to help you in every way. The program is very difficult and they know this and take it into consideration every step of the way. They were always available for assistance if you needed help with something and that was easily the best part about the program. If you had a question someone was there to help you. Having a pathway program that helps you on your soft skills and interviewing was amazing. Coming from an undergrad degree and a masters program where no one takes your careers into consideration this was a fantastic change of pace. I felt prepared when applying to jobs and interviewing. The technical aspect was amazing as well. With incredible instructors who take their time and help you learn the material. I feel confident going into my new career as a junior developer.  It was a fantastic experience that I would recommend to anyone who is considering a career change. You could not be in better hands than the people who work at Tech Elevator.
  • Jared Bussell  User Photo
    Jared Bussell • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The biggest part that separates this bootcamp for others is the fact that they help you get a job. On top of all your lessons they also provide sessions after your class to help you prepare for getting a job and also set up various interviews in order to help you have a job lined up after the class ends. Even if you don't have a job lined up at the end, they will continue to help you after you graduate so you're not just leaving desolate. Most bootcamps can teach you how to code but very few can teach you how to land a job.
  • Ben Pilcher  User Photo
    Ben Pilcher • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I can't say enough good things about Tech Elevator! I'm a fairly risk-averse person, so quitting my previous job and taking a chance on a full-time bootcamp was a huge decision. I had heard good things about Tech Elevator from previous students, and everything they said turned out to be accurate. Tech Elevator provided the instruction and support I needed to go from someone with no technical background to a full-stack developer in just 14 weeks. (NOTE: The pace of learning and the workload are not for the faint of heart, but Tech Elevator was upfront about this from the beginning. If you are willing to work hard and trust the process, you'll be successful.)

One thing that sets this bootcamp apart from others is the Pathway career preparation program. I had no idea how to prepare for a career in tech, but the Pathway team guided me and, most importantly, provided direct access to employers looking to hire students like me. I officially graduate tomorrow and, thanks to Tech Elevator's employer matchmaking process, I have already accepted an amazing position as a full-time software developer at a major company in my area.

Finally, the people at Tech Elevator are its strongest asset. Throughout the 14-week program, all of the instructors and staff provided much-needed encouragement, ample academic support, and genuine enthusiasm and investment in our success as students. I recommend this program to anyone looking to "elevate" their career!
  • Liza Moran  User Photo
    Liza Moran • Software Developer Associate • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I was a Java student in pittsburgh’s first fully remote cohort, and it was the best choice I’ve ever made. I didn’t know much (anything) about coding before I started, but I knew I needed to make a career switch.  In 14 weeks I went from knowing nothing to graduating with a job offer as a software developer. I didn’t know everything leaving, but I left with a solid framework to build upon and the confidence that I could learn what else I needed to on the job.  And so far I have, and I’m so glad I made the switch and so glad I chose tech elevator.  They are not just there to collect your tuition and push you out the door. They want to help you get a job. And unlike other boot camps they actually set up interviews with local hiring partners, which is how the majority of my cohort got hired.  Curriculum aside, the instructors, pathway director, and staff are just good, caring, wonderful people who are genuinely dedicated to getting you a job and seeing you succeed.  I cannot say enough positive things.  Choose tech elevator. You won’t regret it.
  • .NET Student
    - 12/12/2020
    Brad McCord  User Photo
    Brad McCord • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came into this with 0 coding experience, and can say that this program far and away exceeded my expectations. I never felt out of place in anything that we went over and loved how willing the instructors are to go out of their way to assist students.

I will say that if you are coming into this with a coding background, you may not learn much in the beginning. However, if you were self taught, the .NET instructors do a great job to ensure you understand good code format and writing techniques to make your code easily readable and fixable. They teach test driven development in the beginning and proper formatting to get you on a similar playing field to those who have been coding for years.

While this is a coding camp emphasized on student success, I must mention that it is still up to you to take full advantage of what is being taught. Self motivation is still key here, and knowing when to reach out for help is an important character trait to be successful in this program.

Onto the Pathway program. This entire part of Tech Elevator is dedicated to getting you job ready, and is separate from the coding instruction. They provide plenty of opportunities to meet other companies, attend coding events in the area and online, and to destress with others in the camp. However, some of the required presentations, in my opinion, were a bit unnecessary. I also felt students would ask very strong questions regarding things like the interview experience and how to present yourself, and I do not feel the answers to these types of questions were very strong. That being said, your resume and LinkedIn will look incredible by the end of the program if you take their advice. This is and the matchmaking events more than makeup for any downfalls I have with the Pathway program as a whole.

TL:DR

The instructors are very passionate and want to see you succeed. They start from the ground up and do a great job breaking down basic topics without wasting time on unnecessary information. Classes are highly interactive and questions are addressed seriously and immediately to the best of the instructors knowledge's. The Pathway program is hit or miss, but you can be sure you will leave this program having met plenty of potential companies and with a killer resume and professional presence on LinkedIn.

Overall Schedule
    The first 3/4 of the program is highly focused on teaching you to code, while the last 1/4 is mostly focused on getting you ready for the job market.
  • Jordan  User Photo
    Jordan • Junior Software Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I'm coming up on graduation in 6 days, and I can emphatically say this was a great decision.  Tech Elevator has a solid curriculum, taught by exceptional teachers, and is run by a passionate staff.  They all want you to succeed and are willing to put in the work if you are.  To be clear: it was a LOT of work and is not for everyone.  But if you are determined, willing to put in lots of effort, and eager to learn, this is the bootcamp for you.  They will give you technical skills AND networking skills.  I personally was very weak on the networking/interviewing side of things and chose TE partially because they build that into the curriculum.  Why that isn't the standard way of teaching in every field is beyond me...
    I give 5 stars in each category unreservedly.  If you can make it through a bootcamp and want to start a career in software development, pick Tech Elevator.  It will give you all the tools you need to succeed.
  • Claire Kirby  User Photo
    Claire Kirby • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This bootcamp worked for me.

And by 'worked' I mean I am now working as a software engineer, about to have my 90 day review at a company and job that I love and it has only been 7 months since I started the program. Only 3 months after graduating, I am earning over double any of my previous salaries.

Prior to starting Tech Elevator, I had dabbled in HTML and CSS and tried to teach myself more but it never worked. However, going in Tech Elevator does not require you to have any coding experience. They start from the ground up and build the fundamentals you need to think like and become a developer. Starting with either Java or C#, you learn the core concepts of object oriented programing and then move on to databases, APIs and end with some experience in front end technologies.

Alongside the tech portion is the 'Pathway Program'. It is this side of TE (along with their excellent graduation and job placement rates) that originally drew me to this bootcamp. They have dedicated staff who help you craft your new tech forward resume, update your LinkedIn, and network with TE's hiring partners in your area. This help is INVAULABLE. You could be an amazing self taught programmer, but if you don’t know how to present yourself to possible employers you wont get very far.

Added to this the instructors are incredible. They are impressively knowledgeable, passionate, and have real industry experience. One of my teachers told us that he wouldn't let us graduate if he could see himself hiring us to his own development team. So while it could just be a 'factory' where they push you through like some bootcamps, they are truly dedicated to the end result of you being an employable and competent programmer.

But ultimately Tech Elevator is more than the sum of its parts. It becomes a community to help you through an intense program and into your career beyond. I built a network of peers and mentors that I know I can count on moving forward. My passion for this program makes me want to stay involved and mentor current students in turn and that is what makes Tech Elevator special.

All sentiment aside, if you are able to dedicate yourself full time to a 14 week intensive bootcamp, Tech Elevator can turn you into a developer and help you get that job. Their numbers speak for themselves.
  • Sharon Rosal  User Photo
    Sharon Rosal • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Coming from a healthcare background with no coding experience and also a stay-at-home parent, the 14-week boot camp at Tech Elevator was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I couldn’t have made it through without the help of my classmates, instructors, and our pathway director. Everyone in my class was going through the same experience as I was and the TE staff is always there to help.
    If you plan to do this make sure you are 100% committed to investing 14 weeks to learning. Tech Elevator will prepare you for a career in Tech in two ways, teach you everything you need to know to start out as a Junior Full Stack Developer and the Pathway Program will teach you how to land a job. The pathway program includes resume writing, creating a LinkedIn profile, mock behavioral and technical interviews with instructors and recruiters, and Match-Making events with reputable companies.
    The support from the staff continues on even after you graduate through interview preparation, coding tutorials, reaching out to recruiters, out-of-state jobs, and a lot more. I met with our pathway director and instructors for interview practice every week until I was able to get a job. I am very grateful to the TE staff for their patience, encouragement, and support.

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here