tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Charlotte, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (258) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (40) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationPhiladelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    January 11, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by December 28, 2020
  • Java Coding Bootcamp - Remote

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date October 26, 2020
    LocationOnline, Charlotte, Detroit
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    October 26, 2020 - Charlotte Apply by October 12, 2020
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, .NET, ASP.NET, CSS, MVC, SQL, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    January 11, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by December 28, 2020
    May 10, 2021 - Pittsburgh Apply by April 26, 2021
    May 10, 2021 - Columbus Apply by April 26, 2021

• Tyler  User Photo
    Tyler • Applications Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The whole point of this program is simple, they teach you the skills needed to succeed as an application developer in the real world. Casey is an amazing instructor who never hesitates to take advantage of a teaching moment. You'll learn how to build a web app from front end to back end and everything in between. The course is very demanding but you will be rewarded with the skill set to succeed.

The main selling point for Tech Elevator will be the job placement. Katie and the team will do wonders that will surprise you. They bring companies in to buy lunch for you just in hopes you will apply with their company. There's also a meeting every week about how to improve your career and manage it after the course and for years to come. They teach you how to be a professional in the workplace and what to expect when you get into your first job.

• Charles Cooley  User Photo
    Charles Cooley • Tech Team Member • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was sick of my job out of college, I wasn't being challenged and felt like I was stuck in the same routine. I knew I had to change course but did not have the resources to go back to a 4 year institution. Tech Elevator was the perfect middle ground to do something that could change my career and I also did not have to invest as much as college. When the pandemic hit, I was very nervous about my job prospects, and the program needed to readjust to online learning, but TE helped all the way to the end and gave me the direction needed to land several interviews and eventually a job. The combination of teaching you what you need to know, as well as landing the job switch made TE totally worth my time and money, and not only will I have a return on the money and time at my new position, I feel I have acquired new technical and life skills, which is priceless.
  • Tory Mitchell  User Photo
    Tory Mitchell • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Prior to deciding to complete a boot camp I had no coding experience.  I mainly worked in the service industry and made this change because that industry has a pretty low ceiling if you aren't interested in continuing to live and breathe that world.  I explored many boot camp options multiple times before committing to Tech Elevator.  Overall, I found boot camps hard to judge given that many have the same number of good and bad reviews, and most offer limited or overly stipulated career placement programs.  The decision to commit to Tech Elevator was based on the following:

1. I had a friend that successfully completed the Pittsburgh program, and was immediately hired by a global bank at 80K/year (this was my personal confirmation that the program works).
    2. Tech Elevator focuses on two intense stacks that most large company platforms are built on, Java and .NET.  This is because their goal is to teach you 80% of what you need to begin in any junior software developer position. Many other boot camps I researched offered up to 12 programs (making me question the quality of all), and often left you specifically qualified for 1 role, versus generally qualified for any.
    3. The style of Tech Elevator's program is friendly to those with no previous coding experience.
    4. Tech Elevator has the most comprehensive job placement program (The Pathway Program).
    5. Tech Elevator's reviews on all sites are 95%+ positive.  THEY GET PEOPLE HIRED.
    6. (Learned during the program) Companies know Tech Elevator, and they wait for their graduating classes.  Large companies (like Chase) have hired TE grads, and are very impressed.  The network of committed and experienced hiring partners that TE has is great, and actively growing).

My experience at Tech Elevator was amazing.  I participated in the combined Phili/Detroit cohort with two teachers (Rich & Margaret), and one pathway director (Caitie).  Each were inspiring in their constant commitment and availability.  Each ensured at every level that you had everything necessary to succeed.  The program was intense, so definitely be ready for it.  I planned on 10-12 hour days for 3.5 months.  If you learn quickly and apply yourself, this is only necessary in specific sprints, but you should be ready for it regardless.  This is a 3.5 month program that nets you a new career paying the same as an experienced nurse.  Overall, Tech Elevator has put in the work to write their own text book, and design a curriculum that makes sense.  Each new module combines what was learned previously, culminating in a project at the end of each.  These projects work to solidify the information learned through each module.

Going into this experience with no coding background, I was not sure what to expect.  It was incredibly difficult in the beginning (and admittedly at the start of each project), but I (and my team) made it through each one, proud and a bit surprised at how capable we became in such a short period of time.  I can't speak to any other programs, but I can say that Tech Elevator is 100% worth the cost and then some.  You get what you give it, so give it your all.  The pathway program is an active piece from the beginning; meeting with alumni, developers, and others from different companies, re writing your resume, and learning how to interview behaviorally and technically.  You are given an immense amount of material technically and related to hiring to ensure you are prepared.  While this program requires a lot of self teaching and discovery (similar to the real world), the staff pays attention to your progress and checks in regularly.  Your success is their success.  I thoroughly enjoyed that this program is not sold as some pseudo college experience.  This program has one goal, to get you hired.

I was hired prior to graduation as a Software Developer for a successful investment firm.  I can state personally, the program works.
  • Dennis Bembenek  User Photo
    Dennis Bembenek • Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Tech Elevator is as advertised.  It's not easy but if you stick with it, you can land your dream developer job.

I'm not going to go into detail of what the curriculum offers, the price, or how the program is structured (all of this information is available to you when you go to their website or one of their open houses -- and I would definitely advise you to do these things first if you are considering attending).  What I will do is let you know how my personal experience was in terms of my interaction with the program through the Detroit campus in the remote version of the program.

I had a background in financial services and commercial real estate and was seeking something that would allow me to be more creative while still utilizing analytical problem solving.  So I knew computer programming was the right career path for me.  The next step was finding the right school/boot camp.  Tech Elevator reviews really jumped out to me and all the research I did told me it was a legitimate path into coding.  All my research proved true.

I received an offer from PNC, for a Software Developer Associate role, the first day after I graduated.  I also received a testing role offer from Waymo two days after I graduated.

Getting a job is why you sign up for the program but beyond that I can say the most impressive thing to me about Tech Elevator is how invested the staff is in its students.  The instructors and Pathway director are 100% invested in your success.  Every step of the way, they will offer guidance and support.

Also the nature of the sacrifice it takes to put your life on hold and invest the money necessary for the program, attracts gritty, intelligent, creative, friendly people.  I genuinely believe every single one of my fellow students in my cohort exhibited these qualities.  It's not by chance.  Success in a program like this requires those qualities.  You will need to be able to collaborate to succeed especially if you are going through the program remotely.

A bit of advice for anyone who has small children or other time intensive family obligations - make arrangements so that you will have 45-50 hours a week of uninterrupted time to commit to the program.  I have two children under the age of 3 and the time constraints got to be incredibly difficult to handle.  I barely survived, literally.

So in summary if you are ready to commit the money, a lot of uninterrupted time, and a ton of effort and have the right qualities then this is the perfect program for you.  You will have an amazing staff to support you in finding your dream job.

I hope this review is helpful to those researching the program.

• Adam Brennan  User Photo
    Adam Brennan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The support that you receive while attending this boot camp is what stood out to me the most. Instructors and staff are among the kindest people that you'll meet, and really know their stuff. I always felt prepared for the challenges and rigors of the coursework thanks to the instructors, and the professional development lead was incredible in her coaching. The pandemic of course brought challenges, but we all navigated remote learning together and I personally had a great experience.
  • Well Worth It!
    - 8/27/2020
    Lace Williamson  User Photo
    Lace Williamson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    You can't put a price on bettering yourself... but if you have to: It's whatever amount Tech Elevator is charging for tuition. Taking control of my future through TE was well worth the time and money. It was the best decision I could have made.

I specifically attended the Cleveland campus in the midst of the pandemic, when we were forced to transition to full remote learning, and even in the midst of that madness the TE experience was smooth and controlled. The instructors and staff are phenomenal and will bend over backwards to help you succeed. I can't give enough thanks to these people, they've changed the course of my professional life forever.
  • Zeb Larson  User Photo
    Zeb Larson • Software Development Engineer in Test • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Tech Elevator is worth every penny. I came to this with a very unusual background (I was a university lecturer and a freelance writer) and was worried that I wouldn't be cut out for it because I'd been away from math for so long. I couldn't have been more wrong. The level of instruction is incredible, and the support I got from the instructors helped me overcome some of my early fears about whether or not I could handle the work. The professional development is equally important, perhaps moreso, and it did not disappoint. I had more instruction and support in a summer at Tech Elevator than I had in all of college and graduate school combined. Yes, it's a fair amount of work: you will be run pretty ragged for fourteen weeks. Yes, it's scary to transition from what you know to what you don't, especially when you're always taking in a lot of new information. But I also grew a lot as a person by tackling the unknown, and when it was all over, I got a job in a new career I'm happy with. If you're unhappy with your current career track and this work sounds interesting to you, it's worth taking the plunge.
  • Dan Fries  User Photo
    Dan Fries • Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the .NET/C# program at Tech Elevator in the winter cohort at the Cleveland campus. Attending the boot camp was one of the best experiences of my life I met so many awesome people and had a great time developing my coding skills. Unfortunately my particular cohort was happening right in the middle of the covid pandemic so while we started in person we had to finish the boot camp remotely. Despite the change in plans things still went really well and the team at Tech Elevator did a great job making sure the transition to remote learning went smoothly.

After graduation the Pathway team did a great job with sharing job opportunities and getting my resume out there as well as setting up numerous interviews and special events to help with the job search. Unfortunately, it took a little bit longer than I would have liked to land an offer but again this was due to the covid situation and companies slowing or freezing hiring. After a couple months and life beginning to return to normal again I landed a great offer with a great company near the top end of our expected salary outcomes with great benefits. I am looking forward to starting my new career as a software developer and if you are looking to do the same I strongly recommend you check out Tech Elevator to help you get started.
  • Charlie Peterson  User Photo
    Charlie Peterson • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Tech Elevator was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The curriculum covers everything you will need to know to get into your first role as a software developer, and the instructors do a great job at managing the pace and helping you if you get behind or if you're just stuck. The staff are fantastic people who go out of their way to both teach necessary networking skills, as well as resume building, LinkedIn layouts, elevator pitches, and more. The employer showcase is a great experience that allows you to both learn more about employers in the area, and also get your name and face to them through a very friendly interview.
  • Yes, Do It
    - 8/11/2020
    Alyssa Hernandez  User Photo
    Alyssa Hernandez • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Career Differences
    Yes, going to Tech Elevator is absolutely one of the best things you can do for your career. A year ago I moved to Philly and I was applying for writing jobs with salaries around $30-45k. Most were closer to $30k, similar to the $28k I was making before moving here. Exactly one week after graduation, I accepted an offer at a global company tripling what I was making before from a company I met at matchmaking. Aside from finally being able to afford paying off college debt, I actually do something for a living that I love. I'm nine weeks into my job as a software engineer and the relaxed environment still baffles me, especially compared to previous positions where I spent all day on the phone. I mean, I'm able to listen to music or an audiobook while I work; I always have help when I need it; I'm encouraged to spend time at work learning new things outside of my day-to-day responsibilities (like using Pluralsight); there are so many opportunities to attend random events that I'm interested in throughout the week (PRIDE meetups, AI meetups, etc); and I could go on and on. I started virtually, of course, but when asking others about the office culture, I was told my team takes ping-pong breaks, works on puzzles together, brings in food for each other (all pre-covid). Comparing it to a traditional office job... it's still hard to wrap my head around. I enjoy working and coding for hours because my employer wants employees to be happy at work - who knew enjoying going to work was a thing?

The People
    Some of my best friends were made at Tech Elevator, starting from week one. Throughout the program, there are many pair programming assignments, and you always work with someone new, so it's easy to get to know everyone. With assignments that can take hours and capstone projects that take days, you really become close friends with people. I know things are virtual right now, but the in-person campus was my favorite thing. There were so many nights where I went on a mini-lockdown with friends, staying up very late trying to finish assignments, playing games, enjoying food the staff would bring in for us, etc. My cohort did things like going out to lunch, grabbing drinks, going to karaoke, going to a museum, playing games together, etc etc etc. As for the staff - they were absolutely wonderful. The instructors were extremely accessible, especially when we went virtual halfway through the program. They both had a lot of experience in the field and were such great teachers overall. I gathered other students for a group project (highly recommend doing a group project if you want to stand out to employers!) and they spent hours and hours helping us with it, even though it was completely outside of the curriculum.

The Career / Pathway Program
    One of the reasons I chose TE over other bootcamps was how impressive the career services were in the reviews and statistics I read. Other bootcamps in Philly mentioned career prep help, but I can't imagine it was anything even close to what TE offers, especially after reading reviews on Reddit about Philly bootcamps. Imagine having someone push you for 2-3 days out of every week to get yourself together and prepare for a job, starting from day one. I remember thinking, "Why are we starting so early? We have nothing to prepare with??" Yeah, it was necessary to start that early. The coursework picks up so quickly and 14 weeks seems like a lot of time to prepare for a job, but you need that long if you want to prepare the right way. I remember giving my first elevator pitch for an employer visit or talk and my social anxiety was the worst. I almost forgot my name. The idea of matchmaking later on in the program--meeting a handful of employers in only two days--was terrifying, but when it came time for that, I felt really prepared and confident in my abilities and hey, it worked! Those rounds of mock behavioral and tech interviews, the resume reviews, the elevator pitch practice sessions, the employer advice events--I mean, we had everything we needed to succeed. Even with those, Caitie, the pathway director, was absolutely one of the biggest reasons I was able to land a job within a week of graduation. She makes sure you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, and that you're doing it right. She's obviously an expert in what she does, and I knew when I met her for my Tech Elevator interview that she is truly in this position because it makes her happy. I still keep in touch with her occasionally :) Despite the economy completely crashing and most employers closing their hiring doors, at Tech Elevator... it almost seemed to not make a difference. Some employers backed out of matchmaking, yet most (all? I haven't checked in with other students lately...) found jobs fairly quickly, most through the companies we met through the program.

Coursework
    I'm still wondering how I was able to learn so much, so quickly, AND be qualified for a software engineer position with only 14 weeks' worth of experience. A lot of my computer science friends from college who graduated around the same time as the bootcamp ended are still searching for jobs, and they have years of experience over me. In talking to my coworkers, it seems like the ability to learn so quickly is more attractive in a candidate than how much you know. Of course, you still have to put in the work to show them how much you can learn in a short time. The first few weeks were spent learning basic programming principles and intro to java stuff--the need-to-know material. Seriously though, make sure you're reviewing these basic concepts every week because you there's a 100% chance they will come up in an interview. We moved on to some database stuff, which was pretty interesting and necessary to learn if you move to a full-stack position. After that, we moved onto servers and web stuff. Ah, the good stuff. My one critique, now that I'm out and about in the real world, is that what we learned at the time was fairly outdated compared to working applications. It was a weird transition going from Spring MVC to regular Spring Boot. The course also teaches Vue.js, which I also learned isn't as popular. I don't think I saw it in more than one job posting. Despite learning tools that weren't directly applicable to a lot of jobs, I still learned the fundamentals of how databases and web frameworks work. Plus, interviewers were genuinely interested in hearing about technologies they've never used, which contributed to a nice conversation. Regardless, as I mentioned, what's more important is that you're able to learn the given material and apply it, because that's what's going to happen on the job anyway.

Going Remote for Covid-19
    Honestly, going remote was a very smooth transition. The first few days were kind of weird to adjust to, but that was mostly because it was so sudden. I think it was a Sunday afternoon when I got an email that said we're going remote the following day? IIRC the staff found out pretty last minute too, but even with that, I really enjoyed virtual classrooms. It was much easier to pair program when you're screen sharing, and it's easier to work together from home/remotely when you don't have to worry about catching a trolley or train on time etc. The difference in learning environments was mainly that our instructor had to screen share instead of writing on a whiteboard, but the quality of teaching/learning didn’t change.

Compared to Other Philly Bootcamps
    I didn't look too heavily into other bootcamps--maybe three or four--but I noticed many of them aggressively try to sell you into their program. They seemed to care more about making money off of their students, rather than educating them. With Tech Elevator, they only accept students who they think will do well in the program. They want to make sure you have what it takes. After comparing curriculums between a few local bootcamps with the help of my friends who are software engineers, Tech Elevator definitely outranks the others in that realm. I will note that Tech Elevator did not once reach out to me by phone or email with promotional material, unlike the daily phone calls and emails I received from other bootcamps. Anyway, it's clear Tech Elevator doesn't have to have a sales department to push people to apply and spend thousands of dollars. Students don't need to be pushed to apply to Tech Elevator; it's the clear choice.

Conclusion
    If you like coding, and want to do what you love for a living, then do this. The curriculum gives you the knowledge you need to impress employers on your skills, but the Pathway Program is designed to help you tackle your individual professional weaknesses and highlight your strengths. If you put in the work, you will succeed.
  • Mason Crum  User Photo
    Mason Crum • Application support analyst • Verified via LinkedIn
    Going remote was seamless and easy. Career services actually WANT to help you find a job. Doubled my income in the matter of four months. Life changing experience!
  • :)
    - 7/6/2020
    Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This review is from the perspective of someone who graduated from TE Pittsburgh over a year ago and loves her job.
    My background involved absolutely zero coding experience, as I graduated from Pitt and then worked in mental health for about 8 years. I was burnt out, and was lost about how to get out. My brother is a developer and I like to make sure that I can do whatever he can do, which is what planted the seed in my head to learn to code. I didn't even have a real interest in tech but I knew I needed to change my life's trajectory. I heard about Tech Elevator on the radio and just like everyone else, began looking for evidence of scams or horror stories about bad experiences. There wasn't any. Figured this was good news. I talked to a friend about it who connected me with someone who graduated from an Ohio campus, which helped quiet the feelings of impending doom as well.  I didn't fully trust course report because when I interviewed, Pittsburgh was brand new. Course report's reviews were all from the Ohio campuses. I was worried about the instructors and the quality of a new campus. BUT, I did it anyway.  Took the test, interviewed with Justin, and was accepted. I was in the Java class and all of the instructors were helpful and knowledgeable. You learn all the necessary basics of coding during the first week or two, so if you have no experience, it really sets you up with a solid foundation for the future modules. We had a bit of an instructor change mid way through, and the new hire was a welcome and fresh perspective on the tech world. Gotta admit, I second-guessed myself every step of the way. I compared myself to my crazy smart friends in the program and wasn't sure I had what it takes. I think this is common. But, leaning on peers (and educators) and offering support in return really helps to ease the anxiety surrounding the course.  The Pittsburgh campus has a rooftop deck, which I highly recommend you make use of to both decompress and work.
    The other part of the boot camp is called the Pathway Program. This is where you learn to be super profesh and build important skills to land you a job. It could be daunting at times and if you hate public speaking (like me) this will force you to get over that. You craft an elevator pitch which you then repeat in front of all of your peers and various company reps weekly. Often, multiple times a week. Matchmaking was incredibly important in building confidence in your interviewing skills. They will probably tell you at times to get some experience outside of the program, like attending meetups, in order to work on networking skills and appear well-rounded in your interviews. I never landed a job with any matchmakers (although I did get second interviews). Surprisingly, what did end up getting me 3 promising interviews and a job was networking with employees of various companies at WIT meetups. So, I heavily suggest if you attend TE that you work on networking, especially if you are an anxious and awkward interviewee and do better in a less formal setting. Like me. Pittsburgh has a lot of meetups and I'm sure they have converted them into Zoom meetings in the age of Covid.  And as a side note, even if you don't have previous coding experience, TE prepares you well enough that you can learn Java at TE but then immediately switch to C# upon landing a job. So don't let that make you shy away from a job offer should that be the case.
    Now, a year in, I can safely say this was the best decision I could have made for myself in terms of career and growth. I work at a small start-up where I am the only developer (aside from my coworker-boss, who focuses mostly on business these days). This job seemed incredibly daunting at the start, but now it is incredibly daunting. However, I love what I do, the product that I get to help create, and all the various roles one plays at a tiny start-up. It pushes me to keep working on being a better developer and have confidence in myself.  I was lucky to get a job where I get to work as a full stack developer, so most of the things I learned during boot camp come in quite handy.
    If you are on the fence, just do it already.
  • .NET Student
    - 6/22/2020
    Madi  User Photo
    Madi • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall a great experience. I made lifelong friends, not just in other students but in the staff members as well. The instructors are incredibly knowledgable and amazing at sharing that knowledge. A job is not guaranteed once you graduate but they have some of the best placement numbers around. I obtained my current position through the matchmaking process, which is probably the distinguishing factor for Tech Elevator versus other bootcamps and very valuable as a new member of the tech field. I highly suggest the .NET course; John Fulton is hands down the best teacher I've ever had the honor of learning from and Matt Eland is on his way to be of the same caliber. I went from never looking at a single line of code to being a functional full stack developer in the span of a few months. It was exactly what I was looking for in a career change.

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here