tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Tech Elevator also offers intermediate-level training sessions for technology teams in topics like Javascript, Docker and Data Science which can be customized to company needs.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (173) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (34) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, CSS, Java
    Start Date January 13, 2020
    LocationPhiladelphia, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    Prep Work30-40 hrs
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, CSS
    Start Date January 13, 2020
    LocationDetroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund

• Highly Recommended
    - 10/21/2018
    Tim Johnston  User Photo
    Tim Johnston • Lead Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

What is the program like?
    14 weeks long, 3 hours of technical instruction each day in the morning, several hours of professional development / career-related instruction per week, daily programming assignments (sometimes solo, sometimes pair programming, sometimes both), several “mini-capstones” throughout the program followed by a larger final capstone project at the very end.

The workload is intense. For me, it was a minimum of 60 hours a week, frequently more, including a lot of evening and weekend hours working on assignments, reading supplemental materials, or crafting professional resources like my resume and LinkedIn. I thought this was a major strong point of the program. You need to learn enough material to make yourself an asset to a tech company, and the only way to do that in three months is to really immerse yourself in the material, go beyond the bare minimum when studying and doing assignments, and taking the initiative to learn as much as possible. Tech Elevator definitely encourages and facilitates this.

Another plus of Tech Elevator is that there is a lot of comradery between students, creating a really supportive environment where bonds are formed quickly. It was fun to form a new group of friends and to enter the industry as software professionals at the same time as them. Moreover, the collaborative nature of software development in the real world was stressed to us, and having a close group of fellow students was a great introduction to learning how to design and implement software as a member of a team.

Finally, but maybe most importantly, Tech Elevator has a professional development and career prep program called the Pathway Program that runs concurrently with the technical coursework. The Pathway Program guided us through how create professional materials that check the exact boxes that tech recruiters and hiring managers are looking for, provided interview prep and practice including mock interviews with actual local tech recruiters, brought employers on-site to chat about what its like to work at their company, and culminated in an event that was essentially speed-dating but for job interviews. A full day of 30 minute interviews with local tech companies actively hiring junior developers. If you’re anything like me, the hardest part of the job search is just getting a foot in the door and landing that initial phone screen – Matchmaking skips you right past this process and sets you up with a number of face to face interviews.

Is Tech Elevator worth it?
    Go to an open house, talk to to the instructors, take some introductory coding courses, read about what a career in software is like. If everything sounds good, you enjoy learning, and you’re prepared to fully commit yourself to school for 3 months, Tech Elevator is absolutely worth it. Easily the best career decision I’ve made.

From matchmaking alone, I landed 7 2nd round interviews and 3 job offers. My salary increased by 43% relative to my previous job, and my career options moving forward are the best I’ve ever had.

It is a LOT of work, but if you know you’re up for the challenge and want to move into a career in software, I 100% recommend it.

• Deawna Alfonsi  User Photo
    Deawna Alfonsi • Applications Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Enrolling in the .NET Bootcamp at Tech Elevator in Pittsburgh was the perfect choice for me. When first reading about it, I was concerned it might be too good to be true, until I read various reviews and then ended up knowing someone who attended the cohort previous to mine. The whole experience was very professional from beginning to end. Every member of their staff really cares. They definitely come through on their commitment to set you up to receive a job. I took advantage of every opportunity they gave to groom us in this way and sure enough- it worked. I had a job offer before I even graduated and got my 2nd job offer just days after. I absolutely LOVE my career and the company I'm with now. I am SO GLAD I did it. Due to my personal circumstances I needed a solution to learn tech skiils quickly and then actually get a job doing it-- not years from now, but NOW. This did just that. It is an intense experience that requires intense commitment. For anyone that is willing to make this level of commitment, then this can truly be a life-changing opportunity. For me, it was BEYOND worth it. It feels good to be doing something I love in a field that's respected and brings financial stability. I am so happy I took the journey to get to this place. If you choose to do it, you will be in GREAT hands!
  • Life Changing
    - 12/12/2019
    Bradley Hills  User Photo
    Bradley Hills • Software Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

For anyone that is serious about learning software development and ready to put in the work required to break into the industry, there is no better place. I was surrounded by like-minded future developers that were just as driven as I was to succeed and a staff that is there to help every step of the way. The enviroment, instructors, curriculum, and 24/7 access to the facilities is second to none but there is one thing that sets Tech Elevator apart from any other Boot Camp in my opinion. The Pathway program. This program runs concurrent with your lessons and gets you prepared at every level to get noticed by organizations and ace your interview. I cannot understate the impact of the Pathway program!! If you are thinking about another school instead of Tech Elevator this is the aspect you should be evaluating with which ever school you are considering. It's one thing to learn these skills, but to have assistance in being able to effectively show off what you have just learned to employers and actually get them to invite you to interviews is what we are all really looking isn't it? They do not guarantee any type of employment, but if you follow this program and put your all into this for 14 weeks there is zero reason you should not find a job!

• Guan He  User Photo
    Guan He • Software Engineer Analyst • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

This review is about Tech Elevator Detroit Campus

In general, learning at Tech Elevator Detroit Campus is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I have met so many people who are genuine and interesting, and I quickly transitioned from a non-technical background to software engineering. I have already accepted my offer from Slalom even 3 weeks before graduation and the fact that employers were competing to get me in their teams greatly boosted my confidence.

My experience at Tech Elevator is real and I would like to share my story and opinion with anyone who is thinking about joining Tech Elevator Detroit Campus. You can connect with me either through linkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/guan-he/ or my email address: heguanelvis@gmail.com.

About myself

I have a master of public policy degree and a B.A. of English and International Studies. Being an immigrant made it challenging for me to establish my career here in the United States, and I was fairly nervous after graduation that I could not find a decent job. Prior to coming to Tech Elevator, I do not have much software development experience. I used Python at school to do some basic data analysis and have not used Java.

Detroit campus staff members

The Detroit campus is quite new. I am in the second cohort. There were four staff members when the cohort started and now they have hired our missions coordinator. Jeff and Nicole work really hard to connect with the employers and try to get them to school during the last few weeks for matchmaking events to get students employed. They are responsible for the non-academic aspect, including helping us create good pitches, craft resumes, networking etc. Andy and Margaret are great instructors who have years of experience using Java. They are always acessible whenever people have questions. Overall, all the staff are all very knowledgeable, patient, reliable and hardworking.

Java cohort curriculum

The curriculum consists of four modules. Module I is the fundamentals where we learned about Object Oriented Programming and the fundamentals. Module II is about Database and SQL to design tables and effectively store data. Module III is about the Java Spring Framework to create backend for web applications and Module IV (what I am learning right now) is about JavaScript and the Vue Framework to create interactive and responsive frontend pages. At Detroit, the curriculum focuses a lot on testing, which really helped me in the job search process. Students have their Tech Elevator Laptop and are given a really well written e-book link so that they can preview and review the lessons. In addition, Margaret and Andy also made great slides and sent out additional resources for self study and interviews.

Career program

Tech Elevator's career program is probably one of the best part about this boot camp. I would say it is way better even than my university. They teach you everything about marketing yourself, writing resumes and cover letters, networking with employers, behavior interviews and tech interviews, and the strict deadlines forces you to keep making changes to your documents and becoming more professional. They also invite industry professionals coming to campus to do mock interviews with you. My resume and linkedIn profile looks completely at a different level before I start applying for jobs. The most amazing part is that they also invite a lot of companies on campus to introduce themselves and you will defintely have the chance to interview with them at the matchmaking event. I met Slalom at an employer showcase and got the offer after the matchmaking event.

Next Steps

It is still 2 weeks before graduation and I am looking forward to doing my final capstone project. After graduation, I will take a trip to visit my family in China and get ready for my new position starting in February.

I really enjoy my time at Tech Elevator, and I believe they are doing a great job to help people get stated with a tech career and create IT professionals for the city of Detroit.

• All in -It's real!
    - 11/22/2019
    Kristian  User Photo
    Kristian • Associate Developer II • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator not only made me a full stack developer but it changed my life. My carreer was on a track to nothing beforehand, and now I'm a successful developer in the field.

Class is long and class is hard, but when you put in 110% you get 200% back. The staff is present and invested in your success the entire journey. I can't explain how many people I've been reccommending it to by word of mouth, it really is as great as they say. Which yeah totally sounds phishy right? But there is no greater joy for me than praising Tech Elevator every day. I preach it and I live it everyday.

Through the course of 14 weeks you learn a bunch, but what you really learn in the long run is the patterns and ways of thinking. In the end you will be thinking like a developer and ready to learn newer and more advanced concepts. That is the most valuable part I would argue. Every single day I go into work and I'm confronted with new concepts and technologies, but Tech Elevator taught me to learn them, tackle them, appreciate them, and truly Tech Elevator fueled my hunger for knowledge.

The Pathway program is another huge aspect of Tech Elevator. I don't think anyone would begin to think about Tech Elevator without thinking of the Pathway program. My Pathway staff was incredible, Jessica, thank you. You're walked through the do's and don't's of the IT world, what to excpect, how to achieve it, and again back to those patterns, ways to continue to do so. If Tech Elevator had a 2nd course for advanced level concepts I'd be there in a minute because I know it would be worth my time.

• Baptism by fire...
    - 10/22/2019
    Heidi Gray  User Photo
    Heidi Gray • C# Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TL;DR

Overall great experience. It took alot of time, work, and money (I don't have $15, 500 in my couch cushions...), but it paid off (and now paying off that loan). I got a job offer one week before graduation and accepted it. I love what I'm doing and if you want some unsolicited advice scroll to the bottom.

MY BACKGROUND

When I saw I have no computer programming experience, I mean NONE. I didn't even do the HTML stuff to my Myspace page when I had one (RIP top five). I asked a computer programmer friend what language he recommended me trying out and he said to try JavaScript. That was in April. I started my bootcamp in May...#myexperience

I come from a television production background in Los Angeles. I was tired for working 12+ hour days and not really having a skill. Plumbers plumb, Electricians wire things, Builders build things, and I wanted a skill that had good pay, benefits, and offered interesting challenges.

I knew that my life was going to transition out of film and into something else. All I knew is I wanted to learn a language something like Mandarin, Russian, or Korean, something easy (joke). But instead of any of those languages, I found computer programming and Tech Elevator...

HOW I FOUND TECH ELEVATOR

I was listening to NPR and heard the ad for Tech Elevator and learning to code.  ​

Nutshell: After reading their website and reviews here on course report, I took the test, scored well on the test, talked on the phone with Terry to schedule interview, filled out application, took another aptitude test, interview, got accepted. Woo!

I decided to go to an open house down in Detroit when I got to meet Anthony and Andrea and ask more questions and hear their spiel in person. I was so impressed that instead of starting in September like I had originally intended, I decided to be a guinea pig and move up my date to May the first iteration of the Detroit bootcamp. Cohort[0] forever!

STAFF

Margaret and Andy were my professors during the bootcamp and they are both phenomenal! They truly cared and took time to help me understand when I was struggling. And when I had to take two days off for a wedding in California and another day off because my aunt died, they helped me get back on my feet and catch pace again with the rest of the class.

Nicole and Jeff worked equally as hard on their end in the bakground to make sure they were finding businesses for matchmaking, finding speakers to come share their wisdom, and helping our resumes shine above the rest!

CURRICULUM

I appreciated the structure of the curriculum and the tools they used to keep a pulse on how we were doing. Everyday they knew how you were doing through a survey quiz thing.

We learned object-oriented programming using Java, PostgreSQL, Spring MVC, JavaScript, Vue.js, and CSS/HTML. Maybe you're reading that right now thinking, "Sh!t, I don't have a clue what any of that is?" Well, then you would've been me about five months ago. Lol. You'll learn it. It'll be hard, but by God you'll learn!

EQUIPMENT

The laptops they provided worked great. I definitely had to adjust to using a PC...They had great monitors there and system for showing coding on all the screen so we didn't have to rely on the whiteboard all the time.

FEEDBACK

• I've read some other reviews on here saying they don't spend a lot of time on front end and I would agree. It does take a little bit of a back burner compared to the back end stuff, but I think with the timeframe they are working with, they do a great job.

• Sometimes I had feedback to give, but no one or thing to entrust it to. It would be nice if they created an active email account for the different bootcamps where current students could submit feedback whether on assignments, structure, staff, or whatever they thought could be improved. That way instead of the feedback getting lost in classroom discussions, it could be received, pondered, and implemented.

• Tech Elevator didn't realize when they started in Detroit how big Test Driven Development (TDD) was here so when it came time for interviews, we were mostly prepared for whiteboarding exercises and less of TDD stuff (though many of us took extra time outside of the classroom to prepare for this). If they haven't carved out a space for TDD in the curriculum, my feedback would be that they do so.

• Career Pathway - this is the least sexy thing about bootcamp (no offense, Nicole). Who wants to stop working on their coding application to go to class to learn about how to format their resume? Unsexy, but necessary. However, I felt like the first two sessions of Career Pathways were really severe. We were getting mixed signals about how it was "optional", but "if you want a job, you'll come". If that's the case, then don't make it fake "optional", make it "mandatory". Just remember, it will make a difference and make sure you implement any feedback Nicole gives you on your resume. It will help!

WHERE I AM NOW

One week from graduation, I got a job offer from a great company. I'm currently training with them and I'm loving every minute of it. #sexyresume

Side note: I did a Java bootcamp, but got a C# job. I was worried about this at first even though they are both OOP, but my professors assured me it was super similar and they were right. It's not a bad transition at all!

UNSOLICITED ADVICE

//You get what you put into this program. Margaret and Andy can't solve your problems for you, but they can help guide you on the right path. You might have to get there early, you might have to stay late, and if you're like me you have to do both of those things.

//Don't. Be. Afraid. To. Ask. Questions. You are only hurting yourself if you don't raise your hand and admit you don't understand and ask if they could go over it again because chances are someone sitting next to you felt the same way, but they didn't have the guts to raise their hand. Be gutsy in admitting you don't know!

//Take a walk. When they give breaks, get out of that classroom and do a loop around TechTown. It helps.

//Help one another. There is not a single person who knows it all or has all the answers. The people on your right and left are going to be your family for the next 14 weeks and you'll need each other.

• Lazer Porter  User Photo
    Lazer Porter • Full Stack Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I had been working around 6 years in a field that was not bringing me any real satisfaction when I decided to enroll in Tech Elevator.  I gave myself 1 year to pull it off myself - learn online and get a job as a developer - and when that year ran out, I turned to Tech Elevator as the fastest reliable way to just start working in what I love - coding.

Learning Process

The curriculum is structured in a sensible way that progresses from one day to the next.  Every single day has a homework assignment that incorporates that day's ideas.  Lecture is around 3 hours, and the rest of the day is working with classmates and instructors to apply the ideas firsthand.  I loved this balance because class did not drag on - if you listened closely, you understood, and if you missed anything you had the rest of the day to work on it one-on-one with an instructor.

Each instructor is experienced and knows can explain ideas in different ways for different minds.  I appreciated that the instructor of the Java class was always happy to sit and help a .NET student, and that the curriculum designer himself would make time to help me think things through.

Job Guidance

The Pathway Program is everything it's hyped up to be.  Learning and practicing soft-skills, iterating on our resumes, and meeting major employers for around 10 interviews per student is a pretty amazing edge to have in your job search.  I got a couple of competitive offers and accepted one before the bootcamp was completed.

Environment

The staff and students must be pretty carefully selected because every last person on campus was genuinely pleasant, easy to work with, and motivated to make a good life.  I can't think of too many environments like that, and anyone who studies there or works there is very lucky to have such healthy surroundings!

Summary

If you are looking to reach your first job in the industry in a minimal amount of time, and you're motivated to put in the work, Tech Elevator will give you a clear set of goals to meet and all of the support and tools you need along the way.  Strongly recommended!

• Aluna Kaur  User Photo
    Aluna Kaur • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I enrolled into Tech Elevator with minimal coding experience. I was not sure what I had gotten myself into, but I can say that it is among the best decisions I have ever made. Starting with the curriculum, I found the first few weeks to be the most difficult. Being new to programming certainly had it's challenges, however I found the instructors to be extremely committed to my success. They were an amazing support network, and exercised great patience while I was learning. I feel the material itself prepared me well for any aspect of programming, it truly gives you a full-stack of knowledge. What I found really separated Tech Elevator from other camps in the area is the Pathway Program. The program at Tech Elevator really feels like two courses. One you learn to code, the other prepares in navigating the job market. This program teaches you how to craft a resume, prepare for an interview, building a LinkedIn, and working with recruiters. The crown jewel of Pathway is Matchmaking, where you are set up with a variety of interviews with companies big and small in the area. In the event you don't get a job from Matchmaking (like me), the team at Tech Elevator is absolutely committed to your success, and will continue to help you until you are placed. In summation, the entire team is behind every student, and really wants to help you succeed. The course work is challenging, and asking for help from instructors or classmates when needed will be the key to success. Job placement is taken very seriously, and if you graduate you will get a job in the field. You will not only leave the program with knowledge and employment, but also a network of fellow students(and Alumni), committed staff, and other members of the field in the area. This network will last, and will assist you moving forward should any issues arise as well. It is a culture that dedicates itself to elevating oneself, and also to elevating others. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to break into the field.
  • John S.   User Photo
    John S. • Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I came to Tech Elevator in my early 40s, transitioning from a career in education, with my only previous coding experience coming 20 years ago (one class in C++, some dabbling in HTML) and almost completely forgotten. As an adult with a family at home, I particularly appreciated the compressed nature of the program, allowing me to shift careers in just months rather than years. Today, thanks to Tech Elevator, I am a junior developer starting my first job in my new career.

Instruction and Curriculum: It’s not easy to change careers, and the intensive environment of a 14-week boot camp was often challenging, but the supportive environment at Tech Elevator helped ease the transition. First, the instructors I worked with were great professionals with technical knowledge on the one hand and a passion for helping students on the other. We had access not only to our classroom teachers but also to additional teachers who were always very helpful. The format of the program, with reading the night before, class work in the morning, and time to work on homework in the afternoon worked really well for me, and part of the strength of the approach were the variety of ways of learning that it allowed. Our teachers were always helpful, but they also fostered a collaborative environment where students learn by helping each other.

As much as any 14-week program can be, Tech Elevator’s program was also comprehensive when it came to learning the basics. Obviously there’s a lot still to learn on the job, but with their full-stack approach, I felt like I developed a great foundation to build upon.

Career Readiness: As good as the technical and teaching portion of the program is, what I think really sets apart Tech Elevator is the robust “Pathway” program. In Pathway, we had the opportunity to learn more about the broader field from numerous panel discussions and “employer showcase” events; we learned and practiced the so-called soft skills to prepare for the interview process; we had many opportunities for mock interviews, including significant practice for technical interviews; we polished our resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and our ability to pitch ourselves and network; we made a lot of great connections with alumni and other tech professionals; and we had great support through the entire job search process. From what I’ve seen, Tech Elevator has done a fantastic job cultivating relationships with tech employers in Cleveland, and this was incredibly helpful. Our two “matchmaking” days where we interviewed with prospective employers was significant not just for the experience it offered us, but I and several of my classmates ultimately received job offers from companies with which we started the hiring process at matchmaking.

Doing any 14-week coding boot camp is a big commitment and a significant challenge, but I would recommend Tech Elevator without reservation for anyone looking to start a career in software development.

• Katie  User Photo
    Katie • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Whether or not to attend a bootcamp was a decision that I agonized over for close to a year. I knew that I wanted to change careers but upfront cost of attending a bootcamp coupled with the lost wages accumulated over the course of a fulltime program gave me pause. As a recent Tech Elevator graduate I can now confidently say that the experience was definitively well-worth both the time and money.

The team at Tech Elevator is incredible. From the instructors to the teaching fellows to the career advisors, I honestly got the impression that everyone was invested in me and genuinely rooting for my success.  While the coding curriculum is rigorous and extremely challenging, there is no shortage of support. Whenever I ran into a roadblock, I only needed to walk down the hall or, if it was after-hours, send a quick message to my instructor.

One of the most valuable things about the Tech Elevator experience is their partnerships with local businesses and their reputation within the community. I attended the program in Columbus, Ohio and their reputation here is pretty incredible. Everyone who works in the tech community seems to know someone who attended the program and is excelling in the field. I also found a lot of value in the matchmaking even that they host towards the end of every cohort. I interviewed with 6 different companies through this event and snagged follow-up interviews with 5.

I received an offer from my top choice company a week prior to graduation. While graduating with a job offer already under your belt isn't a given, it certainly wasn't abnormal either (based on my experience and that of my classmates). I am 100% satisfied with my experience at Tech Elevator and would absolutely recommend it to anyone.

• Laila F.  User Photo
    Laila F. • Back-End Jr Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator changed my life. I was wandering around the web trying to learn how to code through different courses and subscriptions for over a year, while hated being at my 9-5 office job. I knew I needed in-person concrete guidance to start a new career as a developer, and I’ve looked at all the possibilities in Columbus area. The program at Tech Elevator itself is very well thought out. We started with Java, moved on to SQL, Spring MVC, and then client-side programming (JavaScript and VueJS). All of that was not easy to do in a span of 14-weeks, and I couldn’t have done it alone. My professor, Steve, did an incredible job at explaining concepts in different ways (wouldn’t be where I am without him). He had such an in depth experience in tech and taught our class to be a developer from different viewpoints. The academic fellows were so dedicated at helping you get unstuck (which will happen multiple times throughout the day) during assignments and capstones without revealing the answers.

The cherry on top of this Sunday is the Pathway Program. I wouldn’t be sitting as a developer right now without the help of Ben and Laura. I was able to gain knowledge on how to utilize and curate my LinkedIn, resume, and elevator pitch. My cohort went through series of mock behavioral and technical interviews to prep us for the real deal. The Matchmaking event is… priceless. Tech Elevator provided an event where multiple potential employers came to interview us for an available position they have open! The Matchmaking event is where I met my current employer now, without it, I wouldn’t have been successful at securing a position before graduation.

Tech Elevator is not only invested in you learning how to code, but they also want you to get a job!!! They want it as much as you do! The whole entire staff is passionate on helping you become successful. I can’t keep my mouth shut on how much Tech Elevator has changed my life.

It was an incredibly tough program and you HAVE to be ready for the workload, financial strains, and emotional rollercoaster. If you are willing to do whatever it takes and bet on yourself to change your career into tech, look no further and go to Tech Elevator!

• Josiah Sayers  User Photo
    Josiah Sayers • Developer, IT Applications • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My background going into Tech Elevator:

Before attending Tech Elevator I was a youth pastor at a church in Columbus. I have always loved technology and had an interest in programming, but could not justify going to college for a four year degree in Computer Science. After talking with my brother-in-law (a front-end developer) and learning that he went through a bootcamp I started to look for options in Columbus, Ohio.

What Tech Elevator does well:

The staff at Tech Elevator, from the instructors to the career support (they call this the Pathway Program) to the administrators are all genuinely invested in getting every student into their goal job. The staff are all amazing and I have nothing but praise for all that they do on a daily basis to help you.

The curriculum is laid out well for the most part. It is written in a way that you can complete it even if you've never written a line of code, but its also paced quickly enough that you won't get bored if you're a little bit ahead of the curve. I had John Fulton as my instructor and I was continually blown away by his ability to explain complex concepts in a way that a room full of people could all understand. I have heard similar remarks from classmates who had different teachers.

What could be improved:

There are some areas of the curriculum that could be improved upon, and were being actively improved upon when I left. The front-end framework that Tech Elevator teaches is Vue, but this is the area where I felt my education was most lacking. Tech Elevator's curriculum strongly emphasizes the core concepts of programming, which is a very good thing because all of those skills are transferable to any language or framework, but this means that front end development gets pushed into a relatively small chunk of time. With the tech world moving more and more towards front-end frameworks and Single Page Applications, I think it would be better to spend some more time on this section. (This section was being re-written during my cohort so I'm not sure what its like now).

• Alex Nork  User Photo
    Alex Nork • Junior Backend Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator is exactly as advertised: fast-paced, challenging, and life-changing. The course is not for the faint of heart, but it's the perfect place if you're willing to buckle down and push yourself for 14 weeks. Throughout the program you’re told that you’ll get out what you put in, and that couldn’t have been truer. A willingness to not just do the minimum, but to demonstrate an interest and curiosity in coding seemed to pay dividends for those that did so.

To echo many other reviews, the Pathway Program sets Tech Elevator apart from other bootcamps. The staff is dedicated to helping each student finish the program and to land a job at the end. The end result is still up to the student, but the tools and support are in place to allow each student to achieve success. Trust the process…

This success would also not be possible without an incredible team of instructors. Steve was my instructor, and I can’t thank him enough for his unwavering support and encouragement. As someone that has been in the tech industry for a while, Steve was able to keep class engaging and fun by relating course material to real-world experiences. In addition to Steve, each instructor and the academic fellows were always happy to help me get unstuck. There was one Friday when I went to the office for help at 5:30pm and was lucky enough to catch Andrew right before he left. Without hesitation he sat down, unpacked his bag, and helped me debug something for over an hour. This is just one example of how the instructors go out of their way to make sure their students are successful.

I can’t say enough about how amazing the Tech Elevator program was. Not only did it enable me to make a career change from finance to technology, to help me land a junior developer position, and to feel that I have a place to turn when I have questions or need advice, it also provided me with a network of like-minded individuals (my classmates and alumni) also starting their careers in technology. Tech Elevator is the complete package.

• Take A Chance
    - 8/21/2019
    Ashton Sullivan  User Photo
    Ashton Sullivan • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I took a chance on them, and in return they took a chance on me - I'm someone who is outside of their demographic, and was a possible risk on their outstanding statistics. But they saw something in me that made them take a chance on me, and believed in me the entire way through the program. Tech Elevator doesn't just give you a 14 week education; they also give you life-long friendship, mentorship, and support.

The program is rigourous and not for the faint-of-heart, but it challenges you and pushes you in a realistic manner for what you will face going into the workforce. This bootcamp is vastly different from others becuase it provides you with career specific training in an area that is truly lacking in the tech field - the Pathway Program teaches you how to spotlight your emotional inteligence, and showcases that in their students to outside companies. This leads to external relationships that you truly cannot find elsewhere. Each of the instructors genuinely care about their students as people, and want to see them achieve as much as they can. It is constantly reiterated to students that the staff is not just there for students for the duration of the program, but following graduation for as long as we need it.

Tech Elevator also has a phenominal Alumni network that they encourage students to interact with. It provides a crucial aspect of support that you will not find elsewhere. These are individuals who have gone through the same exact thing that current students are experiencing, and provide hardcore evidence that people make it through, and come out the other end successful. Please note that what you put in is exactly what you get out of the program. There were students that spent all their time on phones, and scrolling through random webpages, and those individuals were a part of the percentage that struggled to get a job. Tech Elevator cannot gaurantee a job, but they do a lions share of the work, and those who put effort in see a positive outcome.

I had Steve as my instructor, and I could not have asked for a better individual to lead our class. He guided the class with a lively personality and an opportunistic approach to the topics at hand. He provided enough instruction for individuals to have a skeleton of what we were to be doing, and still allowed for critical thinking to occur whilst completing study and assignments. He never once shut down creative ideas, or routes of thinking, and often times encouraged conversations and discussions that, while not always exactly the topic of the day, furthered our knowledge, understanding, or curiosity on subjects.

He is also an incredibly genuine and caring person. He treated each of us as students and often as peers as well. He never made me feel stupid for not understanding something, and encouraged me to make mistakes. He often provided guidance for newbies in the "adult world" and on this career path. He was a safe space to grow, and ask questions, and stumble, and was always there with a smile to encourage us through the program. I cannot thank him enough for everything he has done for the program, for his students, and for me personally. I am excited to continue on in this career knowing he is available as a mentor and guide going forward, and my passion for the program has grown astronomically due to his presence and teaching.

As someone who honestly avoided tech and programming for the first chunk of their career/life and who had no skills that were valued in the skill-centered workforce, Tech Elevator changed my life. It challenged me, changed me, and vaulted me into a career that I never knew I could acheive, with a network at my back that I couldn't have ever dreamed of. I owe Tech Elevator a great deal to who and where I am now!

• Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • BA/QA • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

A family member had attended Tech Elevator and had highly recommended the program.  Research showed me that Tech Elevator had both a graduation rate and job placement rate of over 90%.  After taking the online and in-person aptitude tests, I was accepted into the program.

When they tell you it will be like a full-time job and the most intense learning experience you have ever had, BELIEVE THEM.  The program is incredibly intense, but I would STILL say choosing to attend is definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made.

In addition to teaching the necessary skills in order to become a full-stack developer, there is a strong focus on career preparation.  I think I may have revised my resume at least a dozen times before I graduated. All the hard work paid off, however, when I actually had a job offer in hand prior to graduation.

If you're interested in accelerating your career in software development (especially if you're impatient like I am!), this is a great way to do it. The staff is incredibly supportive not only for the 14-weeks of the boot camp, but also after the program has ended.  It is truly a life-changing experience and I would definitely recommend!

• Jesse  User Photo
    Jesse • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Any bootcamp can teach you to code, but Tech Elevator is the only one I found that will teach you how to get a job as a developer.

The coding education provided by TE is absolutely top-notch! Most of my cohort went in with little to no experience, but by graduation, we were all competent in multiple programming languages, and spent our last two weeks developing a fully functional web application from scratch! The coursework was challenging, but well-paced, and the instructors are all experienced, friendly, and perpetually available to help you get unstuck (and you WILL get stuck).

But the thing that truly sets TE apart from the rest is the Pathway Program. They will teach you how to tailor your LinkedIn, resume, and elevator pitch to attract and hold the attention of potential employers. They will teach you how to shine in HR, behavioral, and technical interviews, and give you practice sessions for each type of interview, both with staff and industry professionals. They have panel discussions with local developers and former students to help you understand what it's like to work as a developer. In the second half of the program, there are several employer showcases, wherein large and small tech companies give presentations and field questions about their businesses and environments. After all that, the shining jewel of the program is the Matchmaking interview process. Every student gets interviews with several local tech companies and tech recruiters!

Even after you've graduated, the TE staff is always available to help with job hunting, salary negotiation, on-the-job problems, and more. The program isn't cheap, but it would be a bargain at twice the price.

In closing, if you are serious about getting into software development ASAP, there's no better place to go than Tech Elevator!

• Best Investment
    - 8/19/2019
    JC  User Photo
    JC • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I was not sure about the whole thing, the bootcamp etc. Well, I was wrong. This is the best investment I have ever made in my life. I wanted to change career since I have left school after graduating from a Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering.

My spouse relocation gave me the opportunity to make that change and I would not trade it for anything in the world.

Tech Elevator is not just a coding bootcamp, there is a program called the pathway program that will help you network, connect and potentially interview with dozens of companies within the greater Pittsburgh Area.

If you are unsure and you are reading this, Just Do It !

• John Freund  User Photo
    John Freund • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I attended Tech Elevator's Cleveland Campus and had an AMAZING experience. Perviously I worked in sales, and had little to no technical knowledge when it came to programming apart from a few very basic classes in college. When I left and got into the work place I was well prepared and armed with the tools I need to take on the challanges I face as a developer on a daily basis.

The instructors are fantastic and will take the time to make sure that you really understand concepts that you struggle with and are readily available. The Pathway program will keep you focused on finding a job and give you plenty of amazing tips and tricks for your career endevours in the future as well.

Overall, I was blown away by my experience at Tech Elevator and more than satisfied with my new career in web development!

• Paul Lipps  User Photo
    Paul Lipps • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator was a great experience. I feel competent as a developer after only four months. The material was in depth and well worth my time. The technical side that you're is looking for is there. You WILL be a software developer by the end of the course.

The part that catches people off guard is the Pathway program. You expect to come into the program and just learn to code but what you don't realize is that Tech Elevator gets you a job too. Not just any job either. I was interviewing with big companies like GE Aviation and Kroger. The price of admission is almost worth it just for Pathway. I highly recommend this course for anybody looking to start or change careers.

The only downside is the stress. Not only are you drinking from the firehose that is a coding bootcamp, but you also have zero income for about four months. You can get cost of living money from your student loan for the course, but once it runs out, you're out of money potentially with no job. This comes with any coding bootcamp though, so I can't criticize Tech Elevator for this directly.

• Totally Worth It
    - 7/19/2019
    Patrick Williams  User Photo
    Patrick Williams • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

So yes, Tech Elevator is both a significant financial investment, as well as a risk if you have to quit your job to attend. That being said, if you're looking around for coding bootcamps, you are probably already aware and willing to take that risk. If so, read on.

Tech Elevator was a grueling, intense, challenging, experience that piles on all of the knowledge you need to get that first tech company job. This isn't a college computer science course, this is a practical, hands on bootcamp. Think of it like a job and school combined in to one. There is in class lecture, followed by hours of coding exercises in constantly growing difficulty.

One thing of note, people will stress about whether they took the .NET or Java track when it comes to job seeking time. I would say that in my experience, it does seem that occasionally an employer will look for people that are already using the same tech stack, but I've also seen .NET students get hired into Java shops. I would say that is a small concern, just don't worry about it. There are too many elements outside of the student's control in that situation. I've seen .NET people get disheartened because company A is a Java shop and is looking for Java students, and then seen company A hire a different .NET candidate. Just focus on the job search and these things won't have to add undue stressl.

Despite this stressful, challenging, crazy amount of learning, there will be quite a bit of just hanging out and getting to know your cohortmates, instructors, and the local tech scene. You are actively encouraged to go out and network. Meet people in the local tech industry, make some friends, find a mentor, etc. You are also provided a boatload of job search advice, assistance, and resources. The job seeking aspect was the most stressful, but rewarding part of the program. Two weeks after I graduated, I landed at essentially my dream job.

You have to put in the work to obtain this kind of outcome, and there is still a slight element of chance at play, but I can definitively say that Tech Elevator has changed my life for the better. If you have the grit to get through this program, you have the grit to land that first big tech job, and the Tech Elevator staff will be there to help.

• Beyond Compare
    - 7/4/2019
    Karen Williams  User Photo
    Karen Williams • Developer and Scrum Master • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator's Coding Academy was one of the highlight's of my career. I was fortunate enough to be sponsored by my employer to attend full time for the 14 weeks. The classes were extremely well taught and small enough to allow students to feel comfortable asking questions and get individual help when needed. I felt that the way that Tech Elevator teaches coding is really well done. Learning the theory and the basics bfore launching into writing lots of code - giving you the building blocks and concepts that you need to make sense of object oriented programming step by step. Classes took place in the moring with individual exercises to work on in the afternoon, later including pair programming so not only experiencing working with other people at different ability levels, but learning how pair programming works. At the end of each section of the course students worked on a mini capstone project with another student, pulling together what had been learnt in the previous weeks and challenging you beyond what had been taught in the classroom - something that every developer will need to be able to do in the workplace. At the end of 12 weeks, we worked in small 'agile' teams to create an application based on requirements provided by a product owner. Some of these were real life projects from companies outside Tech Eleveator but also projects created by the instructors. That was such fun and I had a great time working with my team to create a website for unemployed cats! For the students that were not already in a job, Tech Elevator provides an amazng 'Pathway' program to help students find developer roles, bringing in companies to hold job fairs and interviews, helping prepare linked in profles, elevator pitches and a while raft of great ideas and practise. It was all in all an increbile experience and although I was ready to return to work, I also hated to leave the academy where I had felt myself grow so much in terms of my confidence. It was *tough* and it was hard work. I put in many hours beyond those in the academy and at times pulled my hair out in frustration, but the support from my instructor Steve and the other instructors was phenomenal. I made some great friendships and learnt so much from my fellow students too - I can't tell you how amazing this place is. Take the leap - it will be worth every cent and the blood, sweat and tears

• TJ Wood  User Photo
    TJ Wood • Associate Product Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Wherever you learned about the program, everything you heard is true. The skills you learn will be extremely valuable, there will be abundant opportunities to apply them to a job, and, as others have mentioned, it will be challenging.

I couldn't be happier to have grown with the staff in Cincinnati over the few months I was there. You will face challenges, but from course instructors to career guidance, you will have a great group of people to help you succeed.

Overall it was a fantastic experience. The cost of tuition is high but pays off many times over, and I am so happy I made the investment. I couldn't imagine not going through with it.

• Worth every penny!
    - 6/19/2019
    Luke Jellison  User Photo
    Luke Jellison • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Before Tech Elevator I knew nothing about squirrel parties or coding! Now I have the best parties and I am working fulltime as a programmer!

Seriously though, if you are on the fence about this program, don't be, it's great and if you can push through and keep learning you should have the tools you need to become a successful developer.

PS. Java Instructor David Pfaltzgraff-Carlson is awesome!

• Amazing Experience
    - 6/18/2019
    Sam Petitti  User Photo
    Sam Petitti • Systems Test Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Attending Tech Elevator is one of the best and most important desicions I've made in my life. Prior to attending, I was a professional musician/music teacher in the New York City Area. I had moved out to Cleveland with my wife, was feeling pretty worn out on my career and looking for a change and something that was more sustainable long term. After picking up some beginner coding skills for fun, I started researching bootcamps in the Cleveland area. I ultimately decided on Tech Elevator after talking to a family friend that had attended and I sure am glad this was the program I picked.

Tech Elevator is great for 3 reasons. The first is the amazing, amazing staff. They really care and are always available to help. They take the time to get to know you, how you learn, your strengths and weaknesses and put you in the best position to succeed. My Java instructor Frank taught me so much, and was a big reason why I attended in the first place because I was so blown away by his passion and charisma in the open house I attended. Craig was always available to help students and has an incredible amount of patience and knowledge. He was always ready to talk about technology. Kelly, the Pathway director is phenomanal at her job and if you listen to her and follow what she recommends, it really, truly pays off. Marty does a great job of running the show as the campus director, and the rest of the staff is incredibly kind and makes you feel right at home. Overall, the technical instructors are so knowledgeable and passionate, it's hard not to be inspired everyday.

The second reason is the fellow students. It was so refreshing to get to learn, work and know my fellow classmates. Everyone comes from a slightly different background, but with a common goal of learning how to code and also to get a job. I made so many friends and connections in my cohort that I know will continue to last. I also learned a ton from my classmates. Every afternoon working on projects/exercises was incredibly fun and beneficial getting to help and learn from each other.

The third reason is that Tech Elevator delivered on helping me change careers and get a new job. I was very fortunate and recieved 3 job offers prior to graduation. I accepted a job with my top choice company on graduation day. The matchmaking process is an amazing experience; exciting, stressful but ultimately delivering something great at the end. It's easy to be skeptical of TE's amazing job placement numbers, but they are 100% true.

One thing I remember asking myself is how much experience do you need? I spent about 5 months before Tech Elevator learning as much as I could through free online resources, and it did help, but it is not necessary. I do recommend it just to see if it is something you enjoy learning about, which for me it was. Some students come in with more experience, some not at all. Ultimately technical ability is not what gets you the job; it's the whole package. At a certain point in the program, things kind of level off between students. As I said before, everyone has strengths which you learn to maximize as you enter the interview process. The staff really does a great job of getting you prepared for the interview process, which really varies from job to job. If you do the program, just work as hard as you can and do what they say as best you can.

The other question I had was how stresfull it would be. Honestly, coming from music which was filled with uncertainty, the whole process was a welcome change. I structured my days and just made a comittment. You do have to dedicate 14 weeks to the program; I did a few hours of homework every weeknight  (after being at TE all day) and definitely put in as many hours as possible on the weekends. In the end, it's really a small price to pay to enter such a great field with so many possibilities. Everyone I know in the program had their own stressful or tough times whether it was on a capstone or an interview didn't go how you wanted, etc. It always worked out as long as you just keep on plugging away. In the end it goes by so fast!

If you work hard, and have an interest in the field of tech, I can't recommend Tech Elevator highly enough. Ultimately, they are truly as advertised!

• Jacob Ballinger  User Photo
    Jacob Ballinger • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator Highlights:

• Solid introduction to software development fundamentals
    • Instructors are there to guide you throughout activities and you'll have PLENTY of coding hours to practice
    • Multiple interview opportunities with local companies
    • The Pathway Program helps you put your best foot forward with employers through interview training and job search preparation

Program Challenges:

• Large time / emotional / financial commitment - not for those who need continual encouragement and get frustrated easily
    • No guarantee of a job - the program advisors will do their best to coach and guide you, but being your own brand evangelist is up to you
    • Lots to learn in a short amount of time - can be frustrating for perfectionist who want to have a solid grasp before moving on

Overall Thoughts:

Deciding to work in software development is not for the faint of heart - it requires constant learning and the ability to navigate murky waters on your own. If you're the type of person who likes clear instructions and routine tasks, this line of work might not be for you.

Furthermore, joining Tech Elevator is no guarantee of success or landing a job, but it is a tool that you can use in your endeavor to get into the industry. If you go in with the mindset that you are responsible for your own growth and development, then the program has a lot to offer. I was very happy with my decision to enroll and switch career paths.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.