tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Tech Elevator also offers intermediate-level training sessions for technology teams in topics like Javascript, Docker and Data Science which can be customized to company needs.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (166) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (33) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, CSS, Java
    January 13, 2020
    Philadelphia, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    $125
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, CSS
    January 13, 2020
    Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    $125
    September 14, 2020 - Columbus

- 8/24/2018
    Elihu Reynolds  User Photo
    Elihu Reynolds • Product Support Specialist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator was a great experience.  I do wish that I had more of a tech background.  However, the most important thing that Tech Elevator taught me is how to teach myself going forward, and that is incredibly valuable.  I met some incredible people, and I learned a lot of full stack development.  Overall, a great experience.

• Baptism by fire...
    - 10/22/2019
    Heidi Gray  User Photo
    Heidi Gray • C# Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TL;DR

Overall great experience. It took alot of time, work, and money (I don't have $15, 500 in my couch cushions...), but it paid off (and now paying off that loan). I got a job offer one week before graduation and accepted it. I love what I'm doing and if you want some unsolicited advice scroll to the bottom.

MY BACKGROUND

When I saw I have no computer programming experience, I mean NONE. I didn't even do the HTML stuff to my Myspace page when I had one (RIP top five). I asked a computer programmer friend what language he recommended me trying out and he said to try JavaScript. That was in April. I started my bootcamp in May...#myexperience

I come from a television production background in Los Angeles. I was tired for working 12+ hour days and not really having a skill. Plumbers plumb, Electricians wire things, Builders build things, and I wanted a skill that had good pay, benefits, and offered interesting challenges.

I knew that my life was going to transition out of film and into something else. All I knew is I wanted to learn a language something like Mandarin, Russian, or Korean, something easy (joke). But instead of any of those languages, I found computer programming and Tech Elevator...

HOW I FOUND TECH ELEVATOR

I was listening to NPR and heard the ad for Tech Elevator and learning to code.  ​

Nutshell: After reading their website and reviews here on course report, I took the test, scored well on the test, talked on the phone with Terry to schedule interview, filled out application, took another aptitude test, interview, got accepted. Woo!

I decided to go to an open house down in Detroit when I got to meet Anthony and Andrea and ask more questions and hear their spiel in person. I was so impressed that instead of starting in September like I had originally intended, I decided to be a guinea pig and move up my date to May the first iteration of the Detroit bootcamp. Cohort[0] forever!

STAFF

Margaret and Andy were my professors during the bootcamp and they are both phenomenal! They truly cared and took time to help me understand when I was struggling. And when I had to take two days off for a wedding in California and another day off because my aunt died, they helped me get back on my feet and catch pace again with the rest of the class.

Nicole and Jeff worked equally as hard on their end in the bakground to make sure they were finding businesses for matchmaking, finding speakers to come share their wisdom, and helping our resumes shine above the rest!

CURRICULUM

I appreciated the structure of the curriculum and the tools they used to keep a pulse on how we were doing. Everyday they knew how you were doing through a survey quiz thing.

We learned object-oriented programming using Java, PostgreSQL, Spring MVC, JavaScript, Vue.js, and CSS/HTML. Maybe you're reading that right now thinking, "Sh!t, I don't have a clue what any of that is?" Well, then you would've been me about five months ago. Lol. You'll learn it. It'll be hard, but by God you'll learn!

EQUIPMENT

The laptops they provided worked great. I definitely had to adjust to using a PC...They had great monitors there and system for showing coding on all the screen so we didn't have to rely on the whiteboard all the time.

FEEDBACK

• I've read some other reviews on here saying they don't spend a lot of time on front end and I would agree. It does take a little bit of a back burner compared to the back end stuff, but I think with the timeframe they are working with, they do a great job.

• Sometimes I had feedback to give, but no one or thing to entrust it to. It would be nice if they created an active email account for the different bootcamps where current students could submit feedback whether on assignments, structure, staff, or whatever they thought could be improved. That way instead of the feedback getting lost in classroom discussions, it could be received, pondered, and implemented.

• Tech Elevator didn't realize when they started in Detroit how big Test Driven Development (TDD) was here so when it came time for interviews, we were mostly prepared for whiteboarding exercises and less of TDD stuff (though many of us took extra time outside of the classroom to prepare for this). If they haven't carved out a space for TDD in the curriculum, my feedback would be that they do so.

• Career Pathway - this is the least sexy thing about bootcamp (no offense, Nicole). Who wants to stop working on their coding application to go to class to learn about how to format their resume? Unsexy, but necessary. However, I felt like the first two sessions of Career Pathways were really severe. We were getting mixed signals about how it was "optional", but "if you want a job, you'll come". If that's the case, then don't make it fake "optional", make it "mandatory". Just remember, it will make a difference and make sure you implement any feedback Nicole gives you on your resume. It will help!

WHERE I AM NOW

One week from graduation, I got a job offer from a great company. I'm currently training with them and I'm loving every minute of it. #sexyresume

Side note: I did a Java bootcamp, but got a C# job. I was worried about this at first even though they are both OOP, but my professors assured me it was super similar and they were right. It's not a bad transition at all!

UNSOLICITED ADVICE

//You get what you put into this program. Margaret and Andy can't solve your problems for you, but they can help guide you on the right path. You might have to get there early, you might have to stay late, and if you're like me you have to do both of those things.

//Don't. Be. Afraid. To. Ask. Questions. You are only hurting yourself if you don't raise your hand and admit you don't understand and ask if they could go over it again because chances are someone sitting next to you felt the same way, but they didn't have the guts to raise their hand. Be gutsy in admitting you don't know!

//Take a walk. When they give breaks, get out of that classroom and do a loop around TechTown. It helps.

//Help one another. There is not a single person who knows it all or has all the answers. The people on your right and left are going to be your family for the next 14 weeks and you'll need each other.

• Lazer Porter  User Photo
    Lazer Porter • Full Stack Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I had been working around 6 years in a field that was not bringing me any real satisfaction when I decided to enroll in Tech Elevator.  I gave myself 1 year to pull it off myself - learn online and get a job as a developer - and when that year ran out, I turned to Tech Elevator as the fastest reliable way to just start working in what I love - coding.

Learning Process

The curriculum is structured in a sensible way that progresses from one day to the next.  Every single day has a homework assignment that incorporates that day's ideas.  Lecture is around 3 hours, and the rest of the day is working with classmates and instructors to apply the ideas firsthand.  I loved this balance because class did not drag on - if you listened closely, you understood, and if you missed anything you had the rest of the day to work on it one-on-one with an instructor.

Each instructor is experienced and knows can explain ideas in different ways for different minds.  I appreciated that the instructor of the Java class was always happy to sit and help a .NET student, and that the curriculum designer himself would make time to help me think things through.

Job Guidance

The Pathway Program is everything it's hyped up to be.  Learning and practicing soft-skills, iterating on our resumes, and meeting major employers for around 10 interviews per student is a pretty amazing edge to have in your job search.  I got a couple of competitive offers and accepted one before the bootcamp was completed.

Environment

The staff and students must be pretty carefully selected because every last person on campus was genuinely pleasant, easy to work with, and motivated to make a good life.  I can't think of too many environments like that, and anyone who studies there or works there is very lucky to have such healthy surroundings!

Summary

If you are looking to reach your first job in the industry in a minimal amount of time, and you're motivated to put in the work, Tech Elevator will give you a clear set of goals to meet and all of the support and tools you need along the way.  Strongly recommended!

• Aluna Kaur  User Photo
    Aluna Kaur • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I enrolled into Tech Elevator with minimal coding experience. I was not sure what I had gotten myself into, but I can say that it is among the best decisions I have ever made. Starting with the curriculum, I found the first few weeks to be the most difficult. Being new to programming certainly had it's challenges, however I found the instructors to be extremely committed to my success. They were an amazing support network, and exercised great patience while I was learning. I feel the material itself prepared me well for any aspect of programming, it truly gives you a full-stack of knowledge. What I found really separated Tech Elevator from other camps in the area is the Pathway Program. The program at Tech Elevator really feels like two courses. One you learn to code, the other prepares in navigating the job market. This program teaches you how to craft a resume, prepare for an interview, building a LinkedIn, and working with recruiters. The crown jewel of Pathway is Matchmaking, where you are set up with a variety of interviews with companies big and small in the area. In the event you don't get a job from Matchmaking (like me), the team at Tech Elevator is absolutely committed to your success, and will continue to help you until you are placed. In summation, the entire team is behind every student, and really wants to help you succeed. The course work is challenging, and asking for help from instructors or classmates when needed will be the key to success. Job placement is taken very seriously, and if you graduate you will get a job in the field. You will not only leave the program with knowledge and employment, but also a network of fellow students(and Alumni), committed staff, and other members of the field in the area. This network will last, and will assist you moving forward should any issues arise as well. It is a culture that dedicates itself to elevating oneself, and also to elevating others. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to break into the field.
  • John S.   User Photo
    John S. • Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I came to Tech Elevator in my early 40s, transitioning from a career in education, with my only previous coding experience coming 20 years ago (one class in C++, some dabbling in HTML) and almost completely forgotten. As an adult with a family at home, I particularly appreciated the compressed nature of the program, allowing me to shift careers in just months rather than years. Today, thanks to Tech Elevator, I am a junior developer starting my first job in my new career.

Instruction and Curriculum: It’s not easy to change careers, and the intensive environment of a 14-week boot camp was often challenging, but the supportive environment at Tech Elevator helped ease the transition. First, the instructors I worked with were great professionals with technical knowledge on the one hand and a passion for helping students on the other. We had access not only to our classroom teachers but also to additional teachers who were always very helpful. The format of the program, with reading the night before, class work in the morning, and time to work on homework in the afternoon worked really well for me, and part of the strength of the approach were the variety of ways of learning that it allowed. Our teachers were always helpful, but they also fostered a collaborative environment where students learn by helping each other.

As much as any 14-week program can be, Tech Elevator’s program was also comprehensive when it came to learning the basics. Obviously there’s a lot still to learn on the job, but with their full-stack approach, I felt like I developed a great foundation to build upon.

Career Readiness: As good as the technical and teaching portion of the program is, what I think really sets apart Tech Elevator is the robust “Pathway” program. In Pathway, we had the opportunity to learn more about the broader field from numerous panel discussions and “employer showcase” events; we learned and practiced the so-called soft skills to prepare for the interview process; we had many opportunities for mock interviews, including significant practice for technical interviews; we polished our resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and our ability to pitch ourselves and network; we made a lot of great connections with alumni and other tech professionals; and we had great support through the entire job search process. From what I’ve seen, Tech Elevator has done a fantastic job cultivating relationships with tech employers in Cleveland, and this was incredibly helpful. Our two “matchmaking” days where we interviewed with prospective employers was significant not just for the experience it offered us, but I and several of my classmates ultimately received job offers from companies with which we started the hiring process at matchmaking.

Doing any 14-week coding boot camp is a big commitment and a significant challenge, but I would recommend Tech Elevator without reservation for anyone looking to start a career in software development.

• Katie  User Photo
    Katie • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Whether or not to attend a bootcamp was a decision that I agonized over for close to a year. I knew that I wanted to change careers but upfront cost of attending a bootcamp coupled with the lost wages accumulated over the course of a fulltime program gave me pause. As a recent Tech Elevator graduate I can now confidently say that the experience was definitively well-worth both the time and money.

The team at Tech Elevator is incredible. From the instructors to the teaching fellows to the career advisors, I honestly got the impression that everyone was invested in me and genuinely rooting for my success.  While the coding curriculum is rigorous and extremely challenging, there is no shortage of support. Whenever I ran into a roadblock, I only needed to walk down the hall or, if it was after-hours, send a quick message to my instructor.

One of the most valuable things about the Tech Elevator experience is their partnerships with local businesses and their reputation within the community. I attended the program in Columbus, Ohio and their reputation here is pretty incredible. Everyone who works in the tech community seems to know someone who attended the program and is excelling in the field. I also found a lot of value in the matchmaking even that they host towards the end of every cohort. I interviewed with 6 different companies through this event and snagged follow-up interviews with 5.

I received an offer from my top choice company a week prior to graduation. While graduating with a job offer already under your belt isn't a given, it certainly wasn't abnormal either (based on my experience and that of my classmates). I am 100% satisfied with my experience at Tech Elevator and would absolutely recommend it to anyone.

• Laila F.  User Photo
    Laila F. • Back-End Jr Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator changed my life. I was wandering around the web trying to learn how to code through different courses and subscriptions for over a year, while hated being at my 9-5 office job. I knew I needed in-person concrete guidance to start a new career as a developer, and I’ve looked at all the possibilities in Columbus area. The program at Tech Elevator itself is very well thought out. We started with Java, moved on to SQL, Spring MVC, and then client-side programming (JavaScript and VueJS). All of that was not easy to do in a span of 14-weeks, and I couldn’t have done it alone. My professor, Steve, did an incredible job at explaining concepts in different ways (wouldn’t be where I am without him). He had such an in depth experience in tech and taught our class to be a developer from different viewpoints. The academic fellows were so dedicated at helping you get unstuck (which will happen multiple times throughout the day) during assignments and capstones without revealing the answers.

The cherry on top of this Sunday is the Pathway Program. I wouldn’t be sitting as a developer right now without the help of Ben and Laura. I was able to gain knowledge on how to utilize and curate my LinkedIn, resume, and elevator pitch. My cohort went through series of mock behavioral and technical interviews to prep us for the real deal. The Matchmaking event is… priceless. Tech Elevator provided an event where multiple potential employers came to interview us for an available position they have open! The Matchmaking event is where I met my current employer now, without it, I wouldn’t have been successful at securing a position before graduation.

Tech Elevator is not only invested in you learning how to code, but they also want you to get a job!!! They want it as much as you do! The whole entire staff is passionate on helping you become successful. I can’t keep my mouth shut on how much Tech Elevator has changed my life.

It was an incredibly tough program and you HAVE to be ready for the workload, financial strains, and emotional rollercoaster. If you are willing to do whatever it takes and bet on yourself to change your career into tech, look no further and go to Tech Elevator!

• Josiah Sayers  User Photo
    Josiah Sayers • Developer, IT Applications • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My background going into Tech Elevator:

Before attending Tech Elevator I was a youth pastor at a church in Columbus. I have always loved technology and had an interest in programming, but could not justify going to college for a four year degree in Computer Science. After talking with my brother-in-law (a front-end developer) and learning that he went through a bootcamp I started to look for options in Columbus, Ohio.

What Tech Elevator does well:

The staff at Tech Elevator, from the instructors to the career support (they call this the Pathway Program) to the administrators are all genuinely invested in getting every student into their goal job. The staff are all amazing and I have nothing but praise for all that they do on a daily basis to help you.

The curriculum is laid out well for the most part. It is written in a way that you can complete it even if you've never written a line of code, but its also paced quickly enough that you won't get bored if you're a little bit ahead of the curve. I had John Fulton as my instructor and I was continually blown away by his ability to explain complex concepts in a way that a room full of people could all understand. I have heard similar remarks from classmates who had different teachers.

What could be improved:

There are some areas of the curriculum that could be improved upon, and were being actively improved upon when I left. The front-end framework that Tech Elevator teaches is Vue, but this is the area where I felt my education was most lacking. Tech Elevator's curriculum strongly emphasizes the core concepts of programming, which is a very good thing because all of those skills are transferable to any language or framework, but this means that front end development gets pushed into a relatively small chunk of time. With the tech world moving more and more towards front-end frameworks and Single Page Applications, I think it would be better to spend some more time on this section. (This section was being re-written during my cohort so I'm not sure what its like now).

• Alex Nork  User Photo
    Alex Nork • Junior Backend Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator is exactly as advertised: fast-paced, challenging, and life-changing. The course is not for the faint of heart, but it's the perfect place if you're willing to buckle down and push yourself for 14 weeks. Throughout the program you’re told that you’ll get out what you put in, and that couldn’t have been truer. A willingness to not just do the minimum, but to demonstrate an interest and curiosity in coding seemed to pay dividends for those that did so.

To echo many other reviews, the Pathway Program sets Tech Elevator apart from other bootcamps. The staff is dedicated to helping each student finish the program and to land a job at the end. The end result is still up to the student, but the tools and support are in place to allow each student to achieve success. Trust the process…

This success would also not be possible without an incredible team of instructors. Steve was my instructor, and I can’t thank him enough for his unwavering support and encouragement. As someone that has been in the tech industry for a while, Steve was able to keep class engaging and fun by relating course material to real-world experiences. In addition to Steve, each instructor and the academic fellows were always happy to help me get unstuck. There was one Friday when I went to the office for help at 5:30pm and was lucky enough to catch Andrew right before he left. Without hesitation he sat down, unpacked his bag, and helped me debug something for over an hour. This is just one example of how the instructors go out of their way to make sure their students are successful.

I can’t say enough about how amazing the Tech Elevator program was. Not only did it enable me to make a career change from finance to technology, to help me land a junior developer position, and to feel that I have a place to turn when I have questions or need advice, it also provided me with a network of like-minded individuals (my classmates and alumni) also starting their careers in technology. Tech Elevator is the complete package.

• Take A Chance
    - 8/21/2019
    Ashton Sullivan  User Photo
    Ashton Sullivan • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I took a chance on them, and in return they took a chance on me - I'm someone who is outside of their demographic, and was a possible risk on their outstanding statistics. But they saw something in me that made them take a chance on me, and believed in me the entire way through the program. Tech Elevator doesn't just give you a 14 week education; they also give you life-long friendship, mentorship, and support.

The program is rigourous and not for the faint-of-heart, but it challenges you and pushes you in a realistic manner for what you will face going into the workforce. This bootcamp is vastly different from others becuase it provides you with career specific training in an area that is truly lacking in the tech field - the Pathway Program teaches you how to spotlight your emotional inteligence, and showcases that in their students to outside companies. This leads to external relationships that you truly cannot find elsewhere. Each of the instructors genuinely care about their students as people, and want to see them achieve as much as they can. It is constantly reiterated to students that the staff is not just there for students for the duration of the program, but following graduation for as long as we need it.

Tech Elevator also has a phenominal Alumni network that they encourage students to interact with. It provides a crucial aspect of support that you will not find elsewhere. These are individuals who have gone through the same exact thing that current students are experiencing, and provide hardcore evidence that people make it through, and come out the other end successful. Please note that what you put in is exactly what you get out of the program. There were students that spent all their time on phones, and scrolling through random webpages, and those individuals were a part of the percentage that struggled to get a job. Tech Elevator cannot gaurantee a job, but they do a lions share of the work, and those who put effort in see a positive outcome.

I had Steve as my instructor, and I could not have asked for a better individual to lead our class. He guided the class with a lively personality and an opportunistic approach to the topics at hand. He provided enough instruction for individuals to have a skeleton of what we were to be doing, and still allowed for critical thinking to occur whilst completing study and assignments. He never once shut down creative ideas, or routes of thinking, and often times encouraged conversations and discussions that, while not always exactly the topic of the day, furthered our knowledge, understanding, or curiosity on subjects.

He is also an incredibly genuine and caring person. He treated each of us as students and often as peers as well. He never made me feel stupid for not understanding something, and encouraged me to make mistakes. He often provided guidance for newbies in the "adult world" and on this career path. He was a safe space to grow, and ask questions, and stumble, and was always there with a smile to encourage us through the program. I cannot thank him enough for everything he has done for the program, for his students, and for me personally. I am excited to continue on in this career knowing he is available as a mentor and guide going forward, and my passion for the program has grown astronomically due to his presence and teaching.

As someone who honestly avoided tech and programming for the first chunk of their career/life and who had no skills that were valued in the skill-centered workforce, Tech Elevator changed my life. It challenged me, changed me, and vaulted me into a career that I never knew I could acheive, with a network at my back that I couldn't have ever dreamed of. I owe Tech Elevator a great deal to who and where I am now!

• Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • BA/QA • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

A family member had attended Tech Elevator and had highly recommended the program.  Research showed me that Tech Elevator had both a graduation rate and job placement rate of over 90%.  After taking the online and in-person aptitude tests, I was accepted into the program.

When they tell you it will be like a full-time job and the most intense learning experience you have ever had, BELIEVE THEM.  The program is incredibly intense, but I would STILL say choosing to attend is definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made.

In addition to teaching the necessary skills in order to become a full-stack developer, there is a strong focus on career preparation.  I think I may have revised my resume at least a dozen times before I graduated. All the hard work paid off, however, when I actually had a job offer in hand prior to graduation.

If you're interested in accelerating your career in software development (especially if you're impatient like I am!), this is a great way to do it. The staff is incredibly supportive not only for the 14-weeks of the boot camp, but also after the program has ended.  It is truly a life-changing experience and I would definitely recommend!

• Jesse  User Photo
    Jesse • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Any bootcamp can teach you to code, but Tech Elevator is the only one I found that will teach you how to get a job as a developer.

The coding education provided by TE is absolutely top-notch! Most of my cohort went in with little to no experience, but by graduation, we were all competent in multiple programming languages, and spent our last two weeks developing a fully functional web application from scratch! The coursework was challenging, but well-paced, and the instructors are all experienced, friendly, and perpetually available to help you get unstuck (and you WILL get stuck).

But the thing that truly sets TE apart from the rest is the Pathway Program. They will teach you how to tailor your LinkedIn, resume, and elevator pitch to attract and hold the attention of potential employers. They will teach you how to shine in HR, behavioral, and technical interviews, and give you practice sessions for each type of interview, both with staff and industry professionals. They have panel discussions with local developers and former students to help you understand what it's like to work as a developer. In the second half of the program, there are several employer showcases, wherein large and small tech companies give presentations and field questions about their businesses and environments. After all that, the shining jewel of the program is the Matchmaking interview process. Every student gets interviews with several local tech companies and tech recruiters!

Even after you've graduated, the TE staff is always available to help with job hunting, salary negotiation, on-the-job problems, and more. The program isn't cheap, but it would be a bargain at twice the price.

In closing, if you are serious about getting into software development ASAP, there's no better place to go than Tech Elevator!

• Best Investment
    - 8/19/2019
    JC  User Photo
    JC • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I was not sure about the whole thing, the bootcamp etc. Well, I was wrong. This is the best investment I have ever made in my life. I wanted to change career since I have left school after graduating from a Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering.

My spouse relocation gave me the opportunity to make that change and I would not trade it for anything in the world.

Tech Elevator is not just a coding bootcamp, there is a program called the pathway program that will help you network, connect and potentially interview with dozens of companies within the greater Pittsburgh Area.

If you are unsure and you are reading this, Just Do It !

• John Freund  User Photo
    John Freund • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I attended Tech Elevator's Cleveland Campus and had an AMAZING experience. Perviously I worked in sales, and had little to no technical knowledge when it came to programming apart from a few very basic classes in college. When I left and got into the work place I was well prepared and armed with the tools I need to take on the challanges I face as a developer on a daily basis.

The instructors are fantastic and will take the time to make sure that you really understand concepts that you struggle with and are readily available. The Pathway program will keep you focused on finding a job and give you plenty of amazing tips and tricks for your career endevours in the future as well.

Overall, I was blown away by my experience at Tech Elevator and more than satisfied with my new career in web development!

• Paul Lipps  User Photo
    Paul Lipps • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator was a great experience. I feel competent as a developer after only four months. The material was in depth and well worth my time. The technical side that you're is looking for is there. You WILL be a software developer by the end of the course.

The part that catches people off guard is the Pathway program. You expect to come into the program and just learn to code but what you don't realize is that Tech Elevator gets you a job too. Not just any job either. I was interviewing with big companies like GE Aviation and Kroger. The price of admission is almost worth it just for Pathway. I highly recommend this course for anybody looking to start or change careers.

The only downside is the stress. Not only are you drinking from the firehose that is a coding bootcamp, but you also have zero income for about four months. You can get cost of living money from your student loan for the course, but once it runs out, you're out of money potentially with no job. This comes with any coding bootcamp though, so I can't criticize Tech Elevator for this directly.

• Totally Worth It
    - 7/19/2019
    Patrick Williams  User Photo
    Patrick Williams • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

So yes, Tech Elevator is both a significant financial investment, as well as a risk if you have to quit your job to attend. That being said, if you're looking around for coding bootcamps, you are probably already aware and willing to take that risk. If so, read on.

Tech Elevator was a grueling, intense, challenging, experience that piles on all of the knowledge you need to get that first tech company job. This isn't a college computer science course, this is a practical, hands on bootcamp. Think of it like a job and school combined in to one. There is in class lecture, followed by hours of coding exercises in constantly growing difficulty.

One thing of note, people will stress about whether they took the .NET or Java track when it comes to job seeking time. I would say that in my experience, it does seem that occasionally an employer will look for people that are already using the same tech stack, but I've also seen .NET students get hired into Java shops. I would say that is a small concern, just don't worry about it. There are too many elements outside of the student's control in that situation. I've seen .NET people get disheartened because company A is a Java shop and is looking for Java students, and then seen company A hire a different .NET candidate. Just focus on the job search and these things won't have to add undue stressl.

Despite this stressful, challenging, crazy amount of learning, there will be quite a bit of just hanging out and getting to know your cohortmates, instructors, and the local tech scene. You are actively encouraged to go out and network. Meet people in the local tech industry, make some friends, find a mentor, etc. You are also provided a boatload of job search advice, assistance, and resources. The job seeking aspect was the most stressful, but rewarding part of the program. Two weeks after I graduated, I landed at essentially my dream job.

You have to put in the work to obtain this kind of outcome, and there is still a slight element of chance at play, but I can definitively say that Tech Elevator has changed my life for the better. If you have the grit to get through this program, you have the grit to land that first big tech job, and the Tech Elevator staff will be there to help.

• Beyond Compare
    - 7/4/2019
    Karen Williams  User Photo
    Karen Williams • Developer and Scrum Master • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator's Coding Academy was one of the highlight's of my career. I was fortunate enough to be sponsored by my employer to attend full time for the 14 weeks. The classes were extremely well taught and small enough to allow students to feel comfortable asking questions and get individual help when needed. I felt that the way that Tech Elevator teaches coding is really well done. Learning the theory and the basics bfore launching into writing lots of code - giving you the building blocks and concepts that you need to make sense of object oriented programming step by step. Classes took place in the moring with individual exercises to work on in the afternoon, later including pair programming so not only experiencing working with other people at different ability levels, but learning how pair programming works. At the end of each section of the course students worked on a mini capstone project with another student, pulling together what had been learnt in the previous weeks and challenging you beyond what had been taught in the classroom - something that every developer will need to be able to do in the workplace. At the end of 12 weeks, we worked in small 'agile' teams to create an application based on requirements provided by a product owner. Some of these were real life projects from companies outside Tech Eleveator but also projects created by the instructors. That was such fun and I had a great time working with my team to create a website for unemployed cats! For the students that were not already in a job, Tech Elevator provides an amazng 'Pathway' program to help students find developer roles, bringing in companies to hold job fairs and interviews, helping prepare linked in profles, elevator pitches and a while raft of great ideas and practise. It was all in all an increbile experience and although I was ready to return to work, I also hated to leave the academy where I had felt myself grow so much in terms of my confidence. It was *tough* and it was hard work. I put in many hours beyond those in the academy and at times pulled my hair out in frustration, but the support from my instructor Steve and the other instructors was phenomenal. I made some great friendships and learnt so much from my fellow students too - I can't tell you how amazing this place is. Take the leap - it will be worth every cent and the blood, sweat and tears

• TJ Wood  User Photo
    TJ Wood • Associate Product Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Wherever you learned about the program, everything you heard is true. The skills you learn will be extremely valuable, there will be abundant opportunities to apply them to a job, and, as others have mentioned, it will be challenging.

I couldn't be happier to have grown with the staff in Cincinnati over the few months I was there. You will face challenges, but from course instructors to career guidance, you will have a great group of people to help you succeed.

Overall it was a fantastic experience. The cost of tuition is high but pays off many times over, and I am so happy I made the investment. I couldn't imagine not going through with it.

• Worth every penny!
    - 6/19/2019
    Luke Jellison  User Photo
    Luke Jellison • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Before Tech Elevator I knew nothing about squirrel parties or coding! Now I have the best parties and I am working fulltime as a programmer!

Seriously though, if you are on the fence about this program, don't be, it's great and if you can push through and keep learning you should have the tools you need to become a successful developer.

PS. Java Instructor David Pfaltzgraff-Carlson is awesome!

• Amazing Experience
    - 6/18/2019
    Sam Petitti  User Photo
    Sam Petitti • Systems Test Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Attending Tech Elevator is one of the best and most important desicions I've made in my life. Prior to attending, I was a professional musician/music teacher in the New York City Area. I had moved out to Cleveland with my wife, was feeling pretty worn out on my career and looking for a change and something that was more sustainable long term. After picking up some beginner coding skills for fun, I started researching bootcamps in the Cleveland area. I ultimately decided on Tech Elevator after talking to a family friend that had attended and I sure am glad this was the program I picked.

Tech Elevator is great for 3 reasons. The first is the amazing, amazing staff. They really care and are always available to help. They take the time to get to know you, how you learn, your strengths and weaknesses and put you in the best position to succeed. My Java instructor Frank taught me so much, and was a big reason why I attended in the first place because I was so blown away by his passion and charisma in the open house I attended. Craig was always available to help students and has an incredible amount of patience and knowledge. He was always ready to talk about technology. Kelly, the Pathway director is phenomanal at her job and if you listen to her and follow what she recommends, it really, truly pays off. Marty does a great job of running the show as the campus director, and the rest of the staff is incredibly kind and makes you feel right at home. Overall, the technical instructors are so knowledgeable and passionate, it's hard not to be inspired everyday.

The second reason is the fellow students. It was so refreshing to get to learn, work and know my fellow classmates. Everyone comes from a slightly different background, but with a common goal of learning how to code and also to get a job. I made so many friends and connections in my cohort that I know will continue to last. I also learned a ton from my classmates. Every afternoon working on projects/exercises was incredibly fun and beneficial getting to help and learn from each other.

The third reason is that Tech Elevator delivered on helping me change careers and get a new job. I was very fortunate and recieved 3 job offers prior to graduation. I accepted a job with my top choice company on graduation day. The matchmaking process is an amazing experience; exciting, stressful but ultimately delivering something great at the end. It's easy to be skeptical of TE's amazing job placement numbers, but they are 100% true.

One thing I remember asking myself is how much experience do you need? I spent about 5 months before Tech Elevator learning as much as I could through free online resources, and it did help, but it is not necessary. I do recommend it just to see if it is something you enjoy learning about, which for me it was. Some students come in with more experience, some not at all. Ultimately technical ability is not what gets you the job; it's the whole package. At a certain point in the program, things kind of level off between students. As I said before, everyone has strengths which you learn to maximize as you enter the interview process. The staff really does a great job of getting you prepared for the interview process, which really varies from job to job. If you do the program, just work as hard as you can and do what they say as best you can.

The other question I had was how stresfull it would be. Honestly, coming from music which was filled with uncertainty, the whole process was a welcome change. I structured my days and just made a comittment. You do have to dedicate 14 weeks to the program; I did a few hours of homework every weeknight  (after being at TE all day) and definitely put in as many hours as possible on the weekends. In the end, it's really a small price to pay to enter such a great field with so many possibilities. Everyone I know in the program had their own stressful or tough times whether it was on a capstone or an interview didn't go how you wanted, etc. It always worked out as long as you just keep on plugging away. In the end it goes by so fast!

If you work hard, and have an interest in the field of tech, I can't recommend Tech Elevator highly enough. Ultimately, they are truly as advertised!

• Jacob Ballinger  User Photo
    Jacob Ballinger • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator Highlights:

• Solid introduction to software development fundamentals
    • Instructors are there to guide you throughout activities and you'll have PLENTY of coding hours to practice
    • Multiple interview opportunities with local companies
    • The Pathway Program helps you put your best foot forward with employers through interview training and job search preparation

Program Challenges:

• Large time / emotional / financial commitment - not for those who need continual encouragement and get frustrated easily
    • No guarantee of a job - the program advisors will do their best to coach and guide you, but being your own brand evangelist is up to you
    • Lots to learn in a short amount of time - can be frustrating for perfectionist who want to have a solid grasp before moving on

Overall Thoughts:

Deciding to work in software development is not for the faint of heart - it requires constant learning and the ability to navigate murky waters on your own. If you're the type of person who likes clear instructions and routine tasks, this line of work might not be for you.

Furthermore, joining Tech Elevator is no guarantee of success or landing a job, but it is a tool that you can use in your endeavor to get into the industry. If you go in with the mindset that you are responsible for your own growth and development, then the program has a lot to offer. I was very happy with my decision to enroll and switch career paths.

• You Wont Regret It
    - 5/21/2019
    Darryl Baldwin  User Photo
    Darryl Baldwin • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Deciding to make a career change is one of the biggest decisions you could ever make. If you aren't happy with where you are or where your life is headed, you ultimately have to take that leap of faith. Don't get me wrong, tech elevator definetly isn't for everyone. If you have a knack for problem solving and enjoy working through hardships, I strongly recommend you consider it.

What it comes down to is you get out of it what you put into it. The instructors and directors won't let the program break you if you continue to fight through it yourself. There will be days where you will question if this is actually the life you want to live and the answer should always be yes! If you can fight through this boot camp for just 14 weeks, it will give you an amazing foundation for the rest of your career as a programmer. Also the amount of people in the tech community that tech elevator puts you in contact with is second to none. And if your'e willing to go the extra step and attend meetups in the community, you set yourself up that much more for success.

As a graduate of the program and no longer seeking a job in the field, I can strongly say that if you trust in the process and listen to everything the instructors and directors tell you, you will be successful and get everything you could ever want from the program. You will build so many long lasting relationships and friendships if you can just commit and give this your all. Start with the aptitude test and if that goes well and you have the funds, go ahead and take the plunge, you wont regret it.

• Changed my life
    - 5/8/2019
    James Carkido  User Photo
    James Carkido • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am not being dramatic when I say that Tech Elevator changed my life.  I come from a background in education, a field that is very saturated and stagnant. I needed a change and had always excelled at logical problem solving and with technology. At first, I was skeptical. How could I be ready for a career in just 14 weeks.  I will tell you how. The bootcamp setting is by no means a breeze. I spent most everyday in lecture, working, and studying.  A typical day in my life at Tech Elevator looked like so: wake up at 4:30 go to the gym (and drink lots of coffee!), 6:30 get my reading and quiz done for the day, after that I would work on additional problems/projects, 7:30 leave for class, arrive early and continue to work, 9:00 -12:00 sit in lecture, 12:00-4:00 work on individual and pairs assignments, or capstone projects, often times I would stay later, and when I got home at night I would continue to work.  A lot of hard work, and an apptitude for logic are how you change your life in 14 weeks. Tech Elevator does a great job of screening candidates, that means if you get invited to attend, you can do it!

I had no prior coding experience and the fast paced nature can often leave you feeling lost. Take advantage of the on-site tutor, and instructors. It takes your brain a little while to absorb the information, so dont be surprised if you feel hopelessly confused on the day of the lesson and then 2 or 3 days later you can actually do it. We covered about a week of college course material in a single lecture, and I graduated with more than 700 hours of hands on coding.

One of the best things about Tech Elevator, aside from it's awesome instructors, is the pathway program. Our pathway director worked tirelessly to get us groomed for interviews. We worked on things like linkedin profiles, resumes, behavioral interviews, and technical interviews. In addition to this she reaches out to employers and really sells you. Tech Elevator's reputation in the Cleveland area carries with it a huge advantage. I spoke with countless hiring managers and recruiters who love to hire Tech Elevator grads.

I highly recommend you go to an open house and meet the campus director, the pathway director and the instructors. They are all great people who have no problem taking time out of their day to get to know you. Many of them remembered not only me, but details about me when I came in for the first day.  These were people I only had spoken breifly to over 3 months earlier. They really really really do care about you.

The only real issue I had with the whole program was we did not have enough time in our last module. The curriculum is broken down into 4 modules. 1:java/c#, 2:SQL, 3: Spring MVC/ASP, 4:Javascript/Vue.js. There is a lot going on in the last few weeks. Pathway does a match making event where you will get around 6-8 interviews (think speed dating for jobs), people are getting interviews, there are a lot of pathway assignments due. This equates to a fairly distracted module 4. If you are someone who can stay focused and balanced when all those things are going on you probably wont find yourself thinking module 4 was too short. Just my opinion.

tldr: I know Tech Elevator cannot promise you a job, but if you put the work (and I really mean dedicate those 14 weeks of your life wholly to the program), and you buy into the process, you will come out with a job.  I am making nearly 2x what I was as a teacher and 4x what I was when I was between teaching jobs. Lastly, the employees at Tech Elevator really do care about you as a person. They want you to succeed.

• Jonathan Hale  User Photo
    Jonathan Hale • Software Developer Associate • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prior to Tech Elevator, I had little experience in coding, but I knew coding was what I wanted to do. The amount of stuff you'll learn in such a short period of time here is insane, and if you listen to the instructors and your career coach you will see success here. The support you'll receive in this program alone is worth the tuition, in my opinion.

From my own personal experience, no degree or prior experience is required to succeed in and get a great job out of this program. Just stay on top of the work, treat the career prep as equal to the classes, and don't get discouraged throughout the program as hard as that may seem at times. It's a ton of work, but it has been the best decision I've made at this point, and I can personally recommend this program to anybody who wishes to get into the tech industry, anybody who wants to get some very solid career advice, or anybody who just wants to learn the fundamentals needed to create your own, functioning programs.

All in all, I think you get what you pay for and then some with this program. I've made a lot of great friends, landed a position as a Software Developer, got career-advice that will help me for the rest of my life, and learned how to code from the base up; all of this in just 14 weeks.

• Tyler Teran  User Photo
    Tyler Teran • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I picked Tech Elevator because of its reputation in the Cleveland area. I was really impressed with their job placement numbers I learned about during the open house and it felt like a really good fit. Before Tech Elevator I had worked in food pretty much my entire career. I never thought I'd be able to escape it until I found myself really enjoying to code and gaining a real appreciation for the work.

The part of the program that helped me the most was just taking advantage of all the resources Tech Elevator supplied me. They have many wonderful and dedicated instructors and mentors that are always there to help you. Whether you need a 1x1 or need to figure something out on the white board there is a way for your specific learning style to be the most successful you can be.

What helped me to be most successful was taking full advantage of the pathway program and meeting with the amazing pathway director as much as I could. They told me in my interview the students that do the best and are offered jobs first are the ones that take pathway seriously. You could be the most talented programmer but if you don't work just as hard on the pathway side you may have a more difficult time finding a job by the end of the cohort. It really helps to go to every meeting (even the optional ones), take notes and ask questions. You get out what you put in.

After graduating Tech Elevator I feel very confident in my skills as a Junior Software Developer. The instructors do a really good job giving you a strong foundation and it's up to you to do the work. Don't be afraid to ask questions in class because more than likely someone else has the same question. Be engaged in class discussion! Take lots of notes. Everything the instructors say is important.

Going back to the Pathway Program because it is so important; it is very wise to take it seriously. If you are more on the shy side Kelly Brucker (Cleveland campus Pathway Director) really helps you get out of your shell and gives you the confidence to talk to future employers. The events that really helped me succeed were the panels and the employer showcases. It gave me an opportunity to ask the questions that were important to me and because there are so many of them there are lots of opportunities throughout the cohort to begin praticing talking to people. Start early because if you wait until the end it will be more difficult to be comfortable in the interviews. Another amazing and really unique oppotunity you will have is the matchmaking process. You will get a lot of facetime with companies that want to hire Tech Elevator students. Do your research on the companies and I can't stress this enough: have lots of questions prepared and have your notepad and a pen to take notes!

I was fortunate enough to have a job offer the week of graduation. I applied to many many jobs (more than the minimum a week helps) and also got a lot of rejections. Don't let that slow you down! It happens to everyone. All it takes is one company to give you a chance. The most important thing especially towards the end is to not take your foot off the gas pedal. It's a lot of work and you will be very tired but you need to keep up with your work, put in the applications and go on interviews. I promise you it will be worth it. If you do everything your pathway director and your instructor say to do you will be fine! They also offer time after the cohort for additional career support. They will not forget about you as long as you keep putting in the effort and meet with your PW director and instructors after. Don't fall off the face of the earth and stop communcating with the staff at Tech Elevator. They are there to help you as long as you put in the effort. You really don't want to lose all those skills you just worked so hard for so also be sure to keep coding after the cohort if you haven't found a job.

Going to the Tech Elevator was the best decision I have ever made. Yes it is a huge gamble having to put your life on hold for a few months but if you put in the work you will be so proud of yourself and what you are able to accomplish and learn in only 14 weeks! You will gain lifelong friends, eat lots of pizza and get really good at ping-pong but most importantly you will love the work you do.

Please reach out to me on LinkedIn if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.