tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (200) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (35) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Java, SQL
    Start Date May 11, 2020
    LocationPhiladelphia, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    Prep Work30-40 hrs
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, SQL
    Start Date May 11, 2020
    LocationDetroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    September 14, 2020 - Cleveland
    May 11, 2020 - Pittsburgh
    September 14, 2020 - Pittsburgh

• Rich • Student

Prior to attending Tech Elevator, I had a largely unfulfilling job in sales, while working extra hours in restaurants on the weekends. I had an undergraduate degree from a local university, but didn't seem to be on a career path that I could be excited about.
    I, like a lot of people probably reading this, kept coming across articles about programming and what a valuable skill-set it was. So, in my spare time after work, I started learning about the field of software development and programming.
    After researching and learning some basic concepts over time, I began considering the field as a potential career match. And while I was excited at the prospect of one day getting a job in tech, I still thought it was a little far-fetched, and at the very least, far off.
    Yet, through the serendipitous ways of the internet, I came across an advertisement for Tech Elevator, and my interest (much like yours I surmise) was piqued. After interviewing on-site for over two hours, and with a healthy dose of cautious skepticism, I was pretty much sold.

I received a call within two days notifying me of my acceptance, and after about a week's consideration, I was ready to take the plunge.

I'd also like to note that the interview was, as intended, persuasive, but at no point was it sugar-coated to seem as though the process wouldn't be immensely challenging. And it certainly lived up to that.

Coming from a non-technical background, you will have to work harder in your spare time to keep up with the core concepts that other students may have already been exposed to. But you won't be alone. And, most importantly, you won't be without resources. From Craig, the 30+ year programming vet who's always willing to help outside of class and sprinkle in stories of the good 'ol days (or dark ages) of programming, to Josh and David, both of whom possess keen understandings of their subject matter, and how to explain high-level concepts to non-CS-degree'd folk; you won't be learning alone.

You'll learn more acronyms than I knew could be composed from the English alphabet, and you will go through periods of self-doubt, but once you find that you have the ability to meet challengesand adapt to solving the problems you face, you will quickly understand why so many people enjoy this career.

I've now landed a job at a major local software company and can't wait to see what the future holds. So, if you are genuinely infatuated with computer programming and IT, and you believe you would enjoy a demanding, fulfilling career in the field, there is no better option than Tech Elevator. It truly can change your life for the better.

• Tim • Software Developer • Student

Going to Tech Elevator was one of the best experiences I have ever had, and was a very wise choice. I was in the food service industry and really wanted to do something greater for work, I heard about Tech Elevator on the radio and after visiting I was sold. I started my bootcamp May 16th and recently graduated in mid-August.

I was in the .NET cohort and was taught by their lead .NET instructor, Josh Tucholski. Josh is extremely patient and is very knowledgeable about software development. The pace of the class was just right and it is very satisfying to leave everyday with more knowledge. Craig, who is on site just to help students, has over 30 years of professional development experience and is always very willing to help anyone who wants to understand the content better, or just wants to practice solving problems on the whiteboard.

I felt more than prepared to do technical interviews, and was able to answer any question that was thrown at me for junior development roles. The Pathway Program is great and they are always bringing employers into the space, which allows you to network and get first-hand accounts from people in the field.

Tech Elevator would be a great choice for anyone, you will learn a large amount about software development that will leave you extremely prepared for the career that Tech Elevator will allow you to get after your 14 week program is over. You will make a lot of friends, have a lot of laughs, and ultimately be putting your life in a much happier place. The team, atmosphere, pace, and career prep at Tech Elevator is very unique and would be extremely hard to find anywhere else.

• Sean • EBI Database Developer II • Graduate

You’ve probably read countless reviews and stories involving people who have changed their careers and lives as a result of a coding boot camp. That wasn’t my case. My review is aimed primarily at those who may have a little background in IT but, for whatever reason, aren’t satisfied with where they are professionally. I worked for a Fortune 500 company for years on the database side and got “pigeonholed” into maintaining dead end proprietary applications.

A personal injury sidelined me and I looked into Tech Elevator’s Java program while recovering. I had already had some of the standard self-exposure to the language ( books, online tutorials, community college courses etc.) but what appealed to me when I visited at an open house was the opportunity to learn relevant, real world practices in coding. If you think that things will be limited to “Hello World” and a calculator app, then you might want to sit down.

I had already done some coding so I thought that most of it would be a piece of cake. WRONG! Throw out any preconceived notions that this will be “just another class”. You quickly learn advanced principles, proper techniques, how to apply them and most importantly, why. No need to fret, though, because the instruction is top notch and there is always support available when you struggle.

As for things not related to coding, the facilities were great and we had everything that we needed as far as laptops, software, books and other resources. I’d also like to stress that they went to great lengths to prepare you. This included having many professionals in the community come in and share experiences, answer questions and give advice. Invaluable.

Lastly, the payoff. At the end of the boot camp, I received multiple offers and actually chose to stop interviewing. I opted to work for an industry leader in healthcare involving data analytics for an increase in salary of more than $20K with potential through the roof.

I apologize for the length of this (there’s still so much more I’d like to share) but if you’ve read this far, you owe it to yourself to at least attend an open house and get a feel firsthand. Best of luck to you.

• Kaity • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated from the .NET program in April 2016. I was previously working in advertising technology but knew that I'd need further education in order to pursue the more technical roles I was interested in. I attended an open house at Tech Elevator and was immediately sold.

The staff at Tech Elevator is incredible. Every member of the team is knowledgeable, supportive, and committed to your success. The .NET instructor, Josh, has a teaching style that makes difficult concepts easy to understand while keeping class engaging and exciting. In addition to learning more than I ever have in a 3-month time span, I truly enjoyed coming to class every day, even when the material was frustrating.

The Pathway Program provides career assistance through resume and interview workshops, employer networking events, and both technical and behavioral interview practice. I owe the two job offers I got before graduation to the Pathway Program and the team's willingness to go above and beyond to make sure I felt prepared for interviews.

I couldn't be happier with my time at Tech Elevator and would absolutely recommend the school. If you're curious, start with an open house.

• Brad • Production Implementation Consultant • Graduate

It took me 2 years from hearing about coding bootcamps before I finally took the plunge into one. Despite having a college education, I had been stuck doing menial labor jobs, landscaping, cooking, and baking. This life grows old, and we all want to see our hard work blossom into rewards, so I decided to make a huge change into the IT field. I chose Tech Elevator over other bootcamps for a few reasons: 1) Length: Coming from a non-technical background, the extra couple weeks of learning was an invaluable both informational as well as allowing the knowledge to work its way into long term memory a little better. 2) Youth: This is a young program. I don't mean age, as my classes median age was in the mid 30's, rather that Tech Elevator is at least as passionate about giving us the tools to succeed as we are passionate about making our own lives better. 3) Staff: From Carol at the front desk to the instructors to the founders, everyone plays for the same team, and it's a winning one. Who doesn't want to be on that? These praises don't come at a price, the work is hard and at times frustrating. I am a grown man who now knows what it is like to want a hug because a computer bullied me today. You may question at time if you are following the right path, but if you stick it out and listen to what the instructors, mentors, recruiters, and even employers that are brought in, YOU WILL SUCCEED! Having no technical background and mere months of coding experience, I was inundated with recruiters and direct employers calling me. I had an offer from a great tech company on the West side that came from the employer showcase that Terry and Anthony work very hard on setting up. Within a week of graduation I was working full-time, with benefits, and can honestly say I have doubled my income from the previous year. As long as you know that you are worth investing in yourself, sign up ASAP and get your life moving in the right direction. If you read this far and have any questions, please pm me saying that we have worked together at Tech Elevator, and I will be more than happy to tell you more about my personal experience.

• Kenny • Technical Consultant • Graduate

This bootcamp is the REAL deal. I came into this with a diverse background from the military, operations management, and sales. Totally off the wall careers, but I realized technology was the driving interest in each. I had researched the bootcamp model for a few years and even tried to teach myself but the book was out of date. So via networking while trying to transition into software sales, I was introduced to Tech Elevator. I had no idea I was about to change my life in just 14-weeks, but it happened!

I attended an orientation and heard from the instructors about curriculum, and the CEO about how this place could change my life, but I think what blew me away was how up front they were about the amount of work that would be required of me and the energy that would need to be invested in order to achieve graduation. I took it as a challenge and went home thinking there was no better place to learn than a place where I am challenged. I had in front of me the very opportunity I had always wanted, and all I needed to do was pass a pre-assessment, and an interview. Sounds easy enough, but it wasn't. I didn’t sleep for almost three days until I finally found out I was accepted, and then I thought to myself "and so it begins!".

From day one there was never a shortage on communication of what to expect and the plethora of resources available to me in order to be successful, but after brushing them off thinking I had this in the bag I quickly learned my second week I needed way more help than those who came from technical backgrounds. I think the feeling of knowing I just paid a bunch of money for something, and the fear of failure kicked in and I quickly started reaching out to fellow students to have study sessions. From week 2 through week 8 a group of us would show up to the 24-hour space and just bounce our problems off each other. It wasn't until I started talking to the instructors about it that I felt like a crazy man for coming in at 6am when class didn’t start until 9am. Looking back now aside from the top-notch instructors, I would say going through this with 14 other people who were going through the same issues made this a lot easier for myself. This allowed me to maximize my time and learning through out the 14-weeks.

The instruction I received was hands on applicable knowledge designed to teach you how to learn versus being hand fed the information. David Wintrich was my Java instructor, and learning from someone so highly regarded in the community as well as the vast amounts of practical knowledge he possessed was a blessing. This allowed me to repeatedly bounce ideas or concepts off the man who had built a BILLION dollar processing application. Impressed? Well I am. Having David alongside Josh, and Craig allowed me to get a feel for how to approach problems that I would see in real world situations, and how to plug away at a problem researching and tinkering until I felt that feeling of victory once it worked. I think having access to the folks who have "been there and done that" allowed me to feel confident walking away and making an immediate impact day 1 at my new job.

The bootcamp opened a lot of doors for me because I lacked a college degree, and it also gave me credibility learning from some of the best folks in the area. I do not think I would have the opportunity / career trajectory had I not taken this step versus going back to college. The technical aspect along with the touch up on my resume / LinkedIn presence from the pathway events set me up for success. Hearing industry leaders read my information and offer insight was invaluable. As a result to taking a risky leap of faith and praying for sunshine, I have stepped into a Technical Consultant role with one of the Software Industries top companies. Without Tech Elevator I would probably still be at that same job I once hated, just because I lacked the motivation to give four years away to a college. Forever in debt to the folks at Tech elevator.

Hope this Helps !

• Sam • Software Developer • Graduate

I always had an interest in software development, and before joining Tech Elevator I was interested in transitioning into a new career field. It was by chance that I stumbled upon an article on FreshWaterCleveland.com about Tech Elevator, and they happened to have an open house that evening that I attended.

From that first introduction all the way through graduation, I was extremely pleased with the experience. It is very apparent that every staff member is dedicated to making this the best possible experience for those who are looking to join the software field.

I chose to take the Java development track, and had David Wintrich as my instructor. Out of all the teachers that I have interacted with over the years, David is definitely one of my favorites. He is very easy going, really knows his stuff, and is committed to making sure his students are succeeding and getting the most out of their education. I really appreciated that he made himself available whenever I needed, even after hours. I feel the cirriculum left me well prepared to take on a new role as a software developer.

Outside of classroom instruction, Tech Elevator also helps its students sharpen their soft skills that help them succeed in finding a job and navigating their professional lives. They brought in relevant industry experts to help with things such as resume writing, networking, and interview practice. Tech Elevator has an extensive network of employers looking for tech talent, and held a job fair for students to interview with a wide variety of employers. I was offered a position from a company that attended. They will also help you pursue opportunities with companies that they don't have an existing relationship with if you have a particular company you are interested in.

Overall, I can safely say that attending Tech Elevator was one of the best decisions I have made in my professional life. I encourage anyone interested in a career in software development to apply.

• Fantastic
    - 5/18/2016
    Brendan • Graduate

I have nothing but good things to say about my time at Tech Elevator. The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable and are always willing to help students, either during or outside of classroom hours. The classroom and common room spaces are great. While challenging, the fourteen weeks flew by, and the instructors made sure they made class interesting and fun.

The career assistance was out of this world. Tech Elevator brings in a ton of great companies to talk to students. They also set up interviews with companies for students. You even get mock interviews and technical interviews beforehand to practice. I got a job with a company that I'm really excited about because Tech Elevator brought them in.

Before the class, I was skeptical about the bootcamp model. But Tech Elevator was unequivocally worth the time and financial investment. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was the best decision I've made for my career.

• Anonymous • Software

My experience with Tech Elevator was overwhelmingly positive.  At any bootcamp there are 2 major aspects.  The first is the instruction in terms of learning integral skills.  The second is the professional opportunities that the bootcamp opens.  Tech Elevator, in Cleveland Ohio, fulfills both of these criteria at a very high level, especially the second one.

I will not speak to the coursework or instructor very much excep to say that my Java teacher had an excellent command of the material and was always available to help students.  On the other end, he was willing to provide more advanced assignments if a student needed challenged more.  However, in contrast to college, and traditional learning institutions, since there is no grading, it was up to the student to complete the work and challenge himself/herself.  This is the nature of the bootcamp model thugh.  You must have the interest and passion.  Tech Elevator, nor any other bootcamp, will instill this into a student.

But where Tech Elevator shines is in its ability to provide professional opportunties.  From day one they work with students in preparing forthe  job hunt.  A myriad of professionals are broulgh in to help with resumes, interviews and internet presence such as linkedin.  Further, they help the student to craft a narrative which connects thei previous career with their prospective software developer desires.

After the students resume, LinkedIn, and interview skills are evaluated by a multitude of recruiters and coaches, Tech Elevator is somehow able to bring many employers on site to actually interview students.  This is how I personally landed a job.  Tech Elevator brought over 20 employers who all were seeking entry level software developers to the spacd for a matchmaking event where they interviewed each studen for approxmately 30 minutes.  Beyond that amazing event, Tech Elevator's tirelessly working "career coach" and other staff with connections convinced prospective employers to either come to the learning space or make on site arrangements for interviews.

Like most things in life, you must put a lot of effort into Tech Elevator to get the desired outcome.  But they provide an excellent framework and concentrated direction for your efforts.  I am confident that if you are seeking a career in software development, then Tech Elevator will serve your purposes if you are willing to put forth the proper effort.

• Jonathan • Java Developer • Graduate

I recently completed the Java Applications Development bootcamp from January 2016 - April 2016. Prior to the bootcamp, I had some exposure to the IT industry doing QA, support and project management. I had a vague idea of what to expect, but no experience writing code. During my job search in the fall of 2015, I heard an add for Tech Elevator on NPR. I was intrigued, and decided to attend an open house in the begining of December. After observing the passion and knowledge of the instructors: Josh and David, it became clear to me that this was the next step in my career.

The class moves quickly, but I never felt lost or left behind. The combination of lecture and hands on projects/exercises really works well at enforcing the material. Subject matter is filtered to what would wil be relevant in the workforce, and covers the full stack. In addition, we were given exposure to popular tools that are used in the industry. The class is broken down into modules, and each module is capped off with a capstone project, typcially completed in pairs.

The Java instructor, David Wintrich, is patient, and easy to get along with. He presents the material in an engaging way, and readily made himself available for one-on-one assistance, if necessary. He was very encouraging, which was needed, as learning to code from the ground up was frustrating at times. He also drew on his work experience as a developer, giving us tips and insights that were helpful not only in applying the material, but later on during the job search/technical interviews.

The Pathway Program starts on day one, and runs parallel to the coursework. It included mock HR/technical interviews with real-world professionals, resume/LinkedIn assistance, employer matchmaking and networking advice. Once I stareted attending interviews, I felt prepared and confident.

I wasn't initially sold on the job search portion of the bootcamp, as the idea of landing a job as a developer after 14-weeks seemed both daunting and unrealistic, but boy did Tech Elevator deliver. I received multiple job offers from companies I met within the Tech Elevator hiring network within two weeks of graduation. I agree with some of the other reviewers in that you get the sense that the staff truly care about your sucess. Also the ping pong table is pretty rad. I would absolutely recommend this bootcamp to anyone interested in a career change.

• Lyndsey • Developer • Graduate

I truly cannot say enough good things about my Tech Elevator experience.  After feeling stagnant in my marketing career for quite some time, I became intrigued by the tech industry and the bootcamp model of learning.  I attended an open house at Tech Elevator and listened to their team talk about the program and from there I was sold.  Their passion and knowledge was clear, and I ultimately decided to quit my job and sign up.  At the time it felt like a scary and risky move, but I was very quickly rewarded with the feeling that it was one of the best decisions I had ever made.

The cohort covered the full technology stack, from database to front-end development.  Josh Tucholski, the .Net instructor, is incredibly knowledgeable and has a teaching style that makes it easy and enjoyable to learn from him.  He's patient, thorough, and understanding, and is genuinely invested in you and your future. The same can be said about every member of the TE team.  Everyone there actually cares about you as an individual and wants to see you leave TE for bigger and better things. And they help you do it!  The Pathway Program that runs in conjunction with the day-to-day instruction was invaluable.  It provided job and interview prep, employer matchmaking and networking opportunities, and the ever important "soft-skills" that are essential to landing a great career in today's job market.

Tech Elevator opened up a whole new world for me in regards to my career.  The skills I gained throughout the program allowed me to knowledgeably and confidently interview with a number of companies that I may not have otherwise had exposure to.  I had two job offers within two weeks of graduation, and am so excited about my new position and my future as a developer.

• Kevin • IT Apps Programmer Associate • Graduate

I was enrolled in Tech Elevator's Java Applications Development course from January through April 2016. Before I started the program I had very little experience with programming and no practical experience at all with Java. My last job had absolutely nothing to do with programming. Within days of graduating, I already had job offers and am now employed full-time as a software developer.

The course was rigorous without being overwhelming. The day usually started off with a lecture on the programming concepts that were being introduced followed by demonstrations. Afterwards you can expect to be given individual and paired exercises to work to reinforce your understanding of the new material. The instructors are excellent and make themselves available to answer any questions you might have or review your completed code with you to help you improve upon it and make recommendations to assist you in writing more readable and professional code. They are also very receptive to feedback and will make changes to how they present the material to better suit the needs of their students.

The best part about the program is that at the end of each unit you will be assigned a full project to complete. You will be given specifications for an application and then you'll write the code for it. Writing programs really helps you absorb all of the material you've been learning and, by the time you will have completed the course, you'll have a number of programs you can compile into a portfolio and present to potential employers to prove that you really know what you're doing. This part really makes a difference and goes a lot further with employers than a resume alone.

The job support is also excellent. The school has its own hiring network of companies in need of junior developers and frequently hosts different kinds of events to bring their students together with recruiters from these companies. It was one of these in-network companies with which I ended up getting a job, so I can personally vouch that it is a worthwhile part of the program.

I highly recommend this school to anyone looking to make a transition into software development. It is well worth it.

• Anonymous • Application Developer • Graduate

After making the decision to move from life science research into software development (without prior experience), I realized that a 4-year degree was out of reach; however, the bootcamp model of education taking less than 4 months appeared to gain traction nationwide, and I looked into the Cleveland area's options. Tech Elevator stood out as a spacious, friendly environment, run by an enormously qualified and engaged team who sincerely cared about moving their students' careers upwards.

I signed up and never looked back. 14 weeks of hard work during bootcamp included lectures, exercises and homework, but also the "Pathway Program", which makes you generate a proper resume, a professional LinkedIn presence, includes one-on-one interview practices and, importantly, involves a network of local employers who come in to showcase their company and to interview all students during matchmaking events. The latter events is what led to several follow-up interviews at companies for me, ultimately leading to my graduation on Friday and having a job offer on the following Monday, a pretty common outcome for our cohort.

The bootcamp provided us with a well-rounded set of skills needed to build a complete web application, using Java, SQL, HTML/CSS/JavaScript as main languages, and included unit testing and security aspects. In summary, I learned a lot about learning, in that I feel able to not only build web applications but also acquire additional programming skills as needed. What a great experience!

• Elizabeth Mis • Software Engineer • Graduate

Before attending Tech Elevator I was working part-time in retail and playing music on the side. Though I didn't have a background in coding, I was into computers and technology. Once I heard about Tech Elevator, I started looking into programming and what I could do with it. I was fascinated and intrigued by the things a programmer can create with code. It didn't take me long to decide that I wanted to attend Tech Elevator.

The first 4 weeks were intense, but our instructor David was very helpful. He was understanding and patient with the students. We learned everything to develop a full-stack web application from scratch. I learned so much in 14 weeks and felt a great sense of accomplishment when we graduated.

After graduating, I had several interviews lined up and felt confident going into them. It wasn’t long before I had an offer from several companies. The Pathways program was helpful in preparing us for our career change.

Tech Elevator made a major impact on my career and I couldn't be more happy with the experience. If you're on the fence about going, check out one of the student open houses and get a sense of what it's like.

• Jim • Software Engineer • Student

Prior to the class I had some experience building websites, and troubleshooting any computer and network difficulties. I had always had the desire to learn how to program, but I found it difficult to learn online, and the personal investment to attend a traditional university was unpractical for me. After completing the course I felt thoroughly prepared for the market place. I was quickly granted many interviews and was able to land my first choice.

After meeting with David and Anthony, I truly believed in their passion, ability, and confidence to provide the best possible path to achieve my goal of programming. David’s experience in the field was stunning, and Anthony’s network, boot camp knowledge, and plan to place graduates left me knowing that my future would be secure in their hands.

Throughout the class, what helped me the most was David’s teaching ability. His capacity to understand not only where the class as a whole was in terms of comprehension, but seeing where each of his students was individually was outstanding. He was able to magnificently tailor the curriculum to our own needs to help us progress. When I had questions, he continually was able to answer the questions in a way that allowed me to come to the conclusions myself. I have been in many classes before and have never had that sort of attention and support. Now, I feel exceeding confident that I am aptly prepared for my career in programming.

I feel very confident entering my first position as a junior developer. I know that I have developed my ability to code at an effective level for a beginner. Most importantly however, I know how to find the solutions to any complications I may encounter.

The opportunities I have available to me know seem endless. I can choose from nearly any industry, anywhere in the world to continue my career. As I progress in my career and continue to hone my skills, I look forward to seeing the opportunities that are sure to present themselves

The Pathway Program Tech Elevator provided us gave me great insight into the field and prepared me amazingly well in finding a beginning to my new career. The ability to hear from and ask questions to leading professionals in the Cleveland area, allowed me to understand what exactly I was getting myself into and how I could accomplish my goal. The value of a proper LinkedIn profile was aptly demonstrated and I was assisted in properly designing my own. Many different industry professionals continually critiqued my resume as I progressed through the course allowing me to state my abilities clearly and concisely. I found that the mock interviews were the most helpful process in guiding me to understand the questions that would be asked of me, and allow me to answer them properly.

• Daniel • Graduate

As you go through life there are key moments that drastically change your course in life, and, for me, the decision to attend  Tech Elevator was one of them.  After more than fifteen years in retail I was treading water in a position that had become just  a job to me, something I had to do to pay the bills.  I had done some work on my own designing a website using HTML, CSS,  PHP and a little Javascript, and I found it fascinating, but lacking direction and support I couldn't see myself getting a job  doing it.  What Tech Elevator offered was an opportunity to start a career that I had a passion for, something I wanted to do  rather than something I had to do.

During the course, mornings were dedicated to lecture, and afternoons were dedicated to hands on coding exercises.  This  worked well for me because I find I retain knowledge best when I get to apply it, which in this case means writing code, and  writing code is something we had ample opportunity to do.  David, our instructor did a great job explaining the concepts and  syntax of coding, and was always willing to answer questions before, during, or even after class in the evenings.  We learned  how to design and code Java web applications from start to finish, using the tools, frameworks, and processes that are in use  in the field today.  Overall it was a lot of work, I lived and breathed code for those three or so months, but it really prepared me to enter the workforce as a junior developer.

Another major component to the Tech Elevator course is the Pathway Program.  This is a series of workshops and panels  with industry insiders centered around giving you the skills you need to actually get a job using the coding skills you're  learning.  Coming from someone who had worked at the same company for 14 years and had little experience with  interviewing and resume writing, this was invaluable to me.  Practice interviews, resume building workshops, improving your  Linked In profile, the whole team supports you from day one in getting you ready to land that first job. They even bring employers to the school so you can get that valuable in person connection. I felt like everyone wanted to see me succeed on a personal level and they were willing to go out of their way to help me make it happen.

Overall, I can say that I highly recommend Tech Elevator.  As I mentioned, I had done some self study previously, but Tech  Elevator offers benefits you can't get learning on your own.  You get top notch technical training, from instructors with a ton of  real world experience, and you get the support of a team dedicated to helping you start your new career.  But the proof is in  the pudding right?   What was my outcome?  Well, I accepted a job offer within a month of graduating with a starting salary that  doubled what I made before the course, doing something that I truly have a passion for.  Like I said, there are moments that  change your course in life, and if you're looking to make a change, I'd say Tech Elevator is a great place to do it.

• Christopher • Graduate

After several years working in industry (international trade) I wanted to study coding both to add to my skill set and to open up new career paths. Tech Elevator's lead Java instructor, David, brough his extensive career experience into the classroom - he proved to be a great teacher, really devoted, and I felt he truly cared about the progress of our class, often responding to email queries on homework assignments late into the night and early mornings, and also working one on one to bring me forward on topics where I struggled.

The bootcamp covers full stack web development from back to front end, which means a lot of material in the time period. So workload is high, and pre-reading / pre-preparation definitely important… The school provides all this.

The resume and interview workshops targeting tech jobs were extremely valuable, as was being plugged into Tech Elevator’s professional network of employers and recruiters- a huge bonus of studying at this school, particularly if you’re network is not in this field.

After gaining these skills, I feel confident to go into software development positions, and intend to keep learning more skills as I go forward, which will open more and more doors for my career.

I should also mention that the people (both classmates and the school staff) were really friendly and I built some great new friendships over the course.

• Anonymous • Wagner • Graduate

The program was hard for me!! But, the whole team was EXCELLENT!! TRUST THE PROCESS!! No one gave up on me and I appreciated that!! The fellow students were great too!! Searching for a job was frustrating. I had a good share of interviews and rejection. I was not confident about going directly into a coding job. But, one day, TE contacted me for the perfect job(and it was for me). By now, I was probably the last student looking for a job, so I felt good about it. Well, one phone interview, one onsite interview, I was hired!! I got exactly the salary I wanted. I got a 15-minute commute. I got a great start-up to work for. Co-workers all seem very nice and professional(i start tomorrow)! So I am excited. I  decided to change careers and have to pinch myself that I am actually starting a career in tech! I owe this to the TE people!

• Incredible
    - 10/8/2019

I could not have believed that after 14 weeks I would be working as a Software Engineer. A good foundation for the working world. My classmates also had good success finding jobs afterwards.

• Do Not Doubt It
    - 9/4/2019
    Anonymous • Software Engineer I • Graduate

Tech Elevator is something that seems too good to be true. I personally dont think I would had believed it myself until I had seen first-hand someones life change for the better in 14 weeks. After personally seeing someone go through the process and graduate Tech Elevator and earn an outstanding job, I decided to take the chance and I do not doubt it for a second. Tech Elevator teaches you technical skills, improves your professional development, and surrounds you in an overwhelmingly supportive environment. If you are looking to enter a career in software, Tech Elevator is an outsanding opprotunity to pursue.

If you want a job as a programmer, this is probably your best option, except for actually getting a degree. The technologies covered in the curriculum were a good selection for full stack web development for the most part. I believe they have added more discussion of front end JS framework recently. The classes are taught by experienced instructors, not TAs, which is what makes Tech Elevator stand out, and experienced tutors are always available.

The jobs program was helpful because you get the chance to interview with companies. Some of the advice given, however, was questionable, such as requiring students to build a social media presence. I also was disappointed that the environment created by staff was at times less than professional and was not always respectful of students. Additionally, if you are serious about becoming a programmer, you should know that basically zero computer science topics are covered at Tech Elevator. When you go into the field, your colleagues with degrees will be working with background computer science knowledge that you don't have unless you seek it out yourself, and eventually, you'll be at a disadvantage.

Overall, basically everybody from my group got a good technology job and a career path -- although not everyone got a job as a programmer. Despite the downsides I mentioned, I think it is probably the best bootcamp in the region.

A little about me. I did my undergrad in biology thinking I would go do some research. I was feeling uninspired, but still felt some pressure to make a decision about what to do. It's no doubt that I'm a procrastinator, so after a long time (about as long as this long essay) I decided I wanted to be a software developer. Once I had my mindset, it was no big deal. I joined Tech Elevator in August 2017 and, after graduating, I've been working happily ever after as software dev for almost 4 months.

Maybe a little about you. Are you passionate about technology and a career in software development? Maybe it inspires you to create something that's never existed before. Maybe it's one of the few fields you view yourself being challenged and inspired to learn everyday. Or maybe a career in software development provides a lucrative opportunity for a stable income and financial independence.

Software development checks all three goals for me, and yet when I started, I was intimidated by the mountains of knowledge that lay before me. I tried free code camp and other free resources. I read through MDN documentation and none of it seemed to make sense. I felt like I would have to drown myself in minute details before being able to write my own application.

Suddenly, I got a suggestion. Maybe if I was serious about breaking into this field I should attend a bootcamp. I remembered reading about bootcamps before, but I had my suspicions. What ultimately made me take the plunge was that I knew I really liked programming. I was determined to break my own path even if the bootcamp provided me nothing else but more time to learn.

I'll admit that I had just looked into one other bootcamp before calling Tech Elevator. Although I had made the cut there, it just didn't feel like my interviewers had any interest in me personally. In fact, I could immediately see a difference when I interviewed at Tech Elevator with Andria. I knew by her questions that she was actually interested in my success.

And I think that's an important thing to consider. If you are determined to go down the bootcamp route, allow yourself to be selected, but also be selective. In fact, the more exposure you can get the better. See if you can't talk to the instructors, current students, and past.  Evaluating the people you'll be with for the next few lifetimes of your life is an important skill to hone. It'll also come in handy when evaluating companies that interview you.

The interview went well and I got selected for Tech Elevator. About a month before the program was about to start, I had a lot of doubts. Do I really need a bootcamp? What will my friends think about me if I don't get a job? Will my parents laugh at me? A real man does everything on his own right? Wrong. Sorry for the vulgar language, but I would tell whoever that guy was to get stuffed.

Then the program started, and I'll be honest, I was pretty relaxed. I don't think everyone was, but for me, I was about to learn some really cool things and I was excited. There are two separate curriculums (that do overlap on some fundamentals): one for C# and one for Java. I was in the Java group and I made this choice by flipping a coin.

I actually don't think it matters which language you choose for the bootcamp, as you can work for a company that uses a completely different language (eg. I currently work in python). But for the long term, I think it does matter. It depends on the language your team/company will use, your personal coding style, and the level of interest you have in learning the dirty details of a language. The article here, https://www.learneroo.com/modules/12/nodes/94, explains something you might consider when choosing a language.

Anyway, once you're at the point of attending classes, at some point the days and weeks might seem to go by in a blur. If that ever happens, then its time to pause and slow things down. Don't become a zombie! It's important to have your own vision and take actions to make it a reality. You'll find that if you look, there are plenty of opportunities to 1) have your own side projects, 2) explore the tech community through meetups, and 3) hone in on what you love/hate about software development.

The bootcamp is really there to be a broad introduction of the field. The instructors are great and they will really leave you with a sense of how the different tools fit together to make a complex web application run. But they won't be with you forever (unless you develop an intimate friendship with them. Then maybe). You'll have to learn how to teach yourself, so seeing why the instructors chose what they chose to teach is also important. A lot of my first couple of months at my job were learning the tech stack and not getting bogged down in the details. The more detailed investigation of the tech stack will also happen, but it's better to schedule that later when you already have some xp under the belt.

Finally, a major advantage of Tech Elevator is the pathway program. All I will say is that listen to everything Kelly or ${currentPathwayDirector} tells you to do and implement it well. Don't question the status quo. Bow down in submission. It's the only way. I was always late to class, but never with my pathway program homework. It's important.

Anyway, thanks for reading! If you have any questions or would like to get in touch, feel free to send me an email at IAMNOTAROBOT010111@gmail.com.

• Prepare to learn
    - 6/7/2017

Tech Elevator is a bootcamp that helps you get the base knowledge needed to start your career in computer programming. The most important thing to remember is that you get out what you put in. I cannot stress enough to put in the work to learn the concepts, even if it means giving up something you enjoy temporarily. You may see your friends and family less for a few months, but the pay off will be worth it.

The instructors are readily available during the day and throughout the night as well, just shoot them a message! They genuinely want to help you succeed!

• Anonymous • Solution Developer • Graduate

Before starting Tech Elevator, I felt dissatisfied and under-utilized in a marketing role at a company with a toxic culture. I did some self-study of HTML, CSS, and other basic programming concepts online, but I got to the point where I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I interviewed at Tech Elevator and in learning more about them, I was impressed by David Wintrich’s experience and his vision for the bootcamp, along with the structured aspect of the career development program that runs in tandem with the technical curriculum.

Tech Elevator did an excellent job of teaching the technical skills AND the soft skills that you need to land a job. The technical skills they teach are directly relevant to what a junior developer needs on the job from day one, and they provide a great foundation for learning other languages. As an example, I enrolled in the Java program at Tech Elevator, but I am now programming in C# at my job. They teach you how to learn quickly, since languages and concepts are continually changing in tech.

For the soft skills aspect, they prepare you through a series of exercises, self-assessments, and practice interviews that not only get you ready for the arduous job search process, but also expose you to industry experts and networking opportunities.

All of this being said, it is called a boot camp for a reason. If you bring your best self to the program every day, put in the hours necessary for the job search and the technical curriculum (which could be 60-70+ hours a week), then you will get great job offers on the other end. Like any pursuit in life, if you expect a job to be offered to you on a platter without putting any work in, then you will be disappointed. Tech Elevator’s staff and curriculum are there to support and invest in diligent and ambitious learners from all walks of life. It was a great experience from start to finish, and I now get to enjoy and learn from an alumni network of bright and motivated friends and colleagues. I highly recommend Tech Elevator.

• No Regrets!
    - 10/2/2016
    Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

I chose Tech Elevator because of David Wintrich's experience. He was the architect of Pay.gov (the government's paypal), which deals with $10 billion every year. I knew he had to be good at what he did, and I knew that he had also hired tons of junior-level software developers. He's an excellent teacher and leader.

Course breakdown:

4 weeks - Java Fundamentals (or C#/.Net, if you're in that course)

3 weeks - Web Apps

2 weeks - Databases

2 weeks - Client-Side Apps

1 week - Security

The pinnacle of the course, however, is the matchmaking event. TE has employeers come in, and you get a 25-minute interiew with each of those you're assigned. They take recommendations, and you'll get your top 3-4 choices plus other randomly assigned companies. This event makes the whole course worth it. I received 8 on-site interveiws from the matchmaking event, and I had a few job offers to leverage against one another before graduation.

I now make 3.5x what I used to every year.

I learned a ton, made some great new friends, and switched into an exciting new career. The course is smart, exciting, and overwhelming at times, but it really paid off, and I'm grateful I extended the time, money, and effort. It was worth every cent.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.