tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Wilmington

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator offers a full-time, 14-week coding bootcamp that prepares students for a career as a software developer, starting with an Aptitude Test. Applicants can then choose to study Java or .NET. Throughout the bootcamp, students also learn HTML, CSS, SQL, API, and JavaScript. The bootcamp runs Monday through Friday, 9-4:30 pm, and has a low student-to-instructor ratio to ensure the best supportive environment for participants. Tech Elevator’s instruction is delivered both remotely and in-person at campuses located in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. Tech Elevator also offers students beyond its core markets, and throughout North America, class options through its National Live Remote program.

Tech Elevator’s career-readiness Pathway Program is responsible for high placement outcomes and includes personalized coaching sessions, interview practice, 6 months of placement support post-graduation, and alumni and mentor networking. Tech Elevator also offers its students and alumni direct connections to employers through employer showcases and interviewing events.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (382) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (64) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

CSS, HTML, Java, JavaScript, Git, Front End, Agile, MVC, REST, Scrum, SQL
    Start Date January 17, 2022
    LocationColumbus, Cleveland, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Dallas
    Course topics include an Introduction to Programming in Java, Client-Server Programming in Java, and Client Side Web Programming (Git, Java, SQL, Spring Boot, REST, JSON, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Vue.js).
    Tuition Plans$7,975 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,975 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    ScholarshipAvailable scholarship opportunities https://www.techelevator.com/scholarships
    January 17, 2022 - Wilmington Apply by January 05, 2022
    September 12, 2022 - Dallas Apply by August 31, 2022
  • Java Coding Bootcamp - Remote

CSS, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, Front End, Agile, MVC, REST, Scrum, SQL
    LocationOnline, Charlotte, Detroit, Chicago, Dallas

Tuition Plans$7,975 due at the time of shipping equipment, $7,975 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    January 17, 2022 - Online Apply by January 01, 2022
    May 16, 2022 - Chicago Apply by May 04, 2022
    July 05, 2022 - Chicago Apply by June 22, 2022
    January 17, 2022 - Dallas Apply by January 05, 2022
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

C#, CSS, Git, HTML, .NET, SQL, ASP.NET, MVC, MySQL, Agile, JavaScript, REST, Scrum
    LocationPhiladelphia, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati
    Course topics include an Introduction to Programming in C#, Client-Server Programming in .NET, and Client Side Web Programming (Git, C#, SQL, ASP.NET Web API, REST, JSON, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Vue.js).

January 17, 2022 - Cincinnati Apply by January 05, 2022
    May 16, 2022 - Cleveland Apply by May 04, 2022
    September 12, 2022 - Cleveland Apply by August 31, 2022
  • Evan Carlisle  User Photo
    Evan Carlisle • Developer Intern • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I made the decision to attend Tech Elevator as part of a larger personal re-skilling/career-shifting initiative, I had no way of knowing what to expect. My experience exceeded my expectations and was absolutely the right move at the right time. The program is run by a group of energetic, smart, and down-to-earth people, and I would recommend to anyone with the means and the desire to make this change to go for it. You will come out of it with a whole lot of hands-on experience doing what real developers do every day. On top of that, you’ll have “evidence” (projects) that you can show to future potential employers. It’s a rollercoaster of a 14-weeks, and you will be *lovingly* shoved out of your comfort zone for most of it, but the reward is so worth it, and it's so much more than a paycheck. The confidence that I and so many of my classmates built over the 14 weeks was so evident, and the network that all TE grads inevitably become a part of is enormous.

I'd like to share some specifics about my experience and why I think it deserves 5-stars across the board. First, though, I think it's important to note that after deciding in September 2019 that I would attend Tech Elevator starting in September 2020, I started a somewhat rigorous self-study routine that would culminate in building a few projects using React (a front-end framework for making reactive web-apps) and hundreds of hours of study over the course of that year under my belt. Prior to that, I had also taken a year's worth of computer science classes in college. I'm pretty sure I came in with relatively more experience than most. That being said, I had many classmates with no prior experience coding who found jobs before I did!

It was apparent very quickly that the instructors were highly capable, empathetic, and dedicated to seeing their students succeed.

I was in the Java class, and Brian was my instructor. There was never a moment where I felt he was unprepared, and that really showed with the number of examples he would use to introduce new concepts. He explained things clearly, and for those who learn best by doing, he would accommodate them as they coded along with the lesson, pausing often and making sure everyone was on the same page. He and our co-teacher, Rachelle, made themselves available M-F 9-5 for questions or Zoom debugging sessions, and I had quite a few long and incredibly thoughtful responses hit my inbox well after-hours.

Instructors were great about providing emotional support as well, regardless of whether someone was that instructor’s student. There were events held that specifically addressed forming healthy habits with regards to stress, and from the get-go instructors made it a point to start the conversation about mental health.

The curriculum was developed in-house and incredibly well-rounded. It was information-dense, clear, concise, and freely available (notes and recorded lectures) for review.

The curriculum was divided into four modules. Each module concludes with a capstone project, where you and teammate work together on a larger project that requires you to pull together everything you’ve learned in a particular module. Each capstone incorporates the previous modules’ concepts and technologies as well, so you’re not ever “done with one thing on to the next”.

Each day starts with a lecture and then the rest of the day is spent either working on the daily homework or seeking out projects of your own. They repeatedly emphasized pushing yourself to code A LOT during the 14-week program. Along with this was the constant reminder that instructors would always be available to try and help you figure out what sort of side project might be interesting to you. I’ve learned how to program each component I would need to build a web app, and most importantly, I’ve learned how to adapt to new working environments, where I might not be familiar with certain technologies.

Job assistance, provided by the "Pathway" program, was all-encompassing--it not only got you ready to apply to and interview for jobs, it was the bridge between you and the Tech Elevator business network .

Through Pathway, you are given plenty of instruction to get you ready to sit down in front of someone and confidently tell them you’re a software developer. The goals were laid out before the first day of the cohort, and there were multiple checkpoints with feedback provided to help us craft our outward-facing presence. By about halfway through the program, I had completely revamped my LinkedIn, and I had a brand-new resume. I had also been through multiple mock-interviews, both behavioral and technical. All of this was leading up to an event towards the end of the program, “Matchmaking”. We spent two days having sometimes back-to-back interviews with companies, and all of this was arranged through reaching out to the vast network that Tech Elevator has built and continues to build. Business of all sizes from our local community conducted dozens of interviews with all of us soon-to-be bootcamp grads. Multiple people ended up with the jobs they have today because of those interviews, including myself!

I think it's important to note here that most people did not end up with offers from Matchmaking, but we had been told over and over again that this would likely be the case, so nobody went into those interviews with the expectation that they would lead to a job directly. After matchmaking, you are ready to start applying to jobs, and with the support of the Pathway director(s) (which continues up to 6 months after graduation), the burden of finding work shifts more towards the student. That being said, I'm sure Ben and Vinny, my Pathway directors, would have sat down with me and made sure that I had everything I needed to competently search for and apply to jobs.

The last thing I'd like to mention is the final capstone. Classes were divided into groups and given two weeks to complete the most ambitious project of the program. At the end, each team had a fully functional web application, and on the final day of the program an entire graduation presentation was arranged for each team to showcase our work to friends, family, and the larger community. It was a really wonderful final tying together of both the Pathway program and the general TE curriculum.

I know I haven't shared any negative criticism, and that's because I never actually felt dissatisfied at any point during or after the program. I was definitely struck by how attentive and caring all of the instructors and staff were, and I am so grateful to have benefited from that. This was money well-spent, and I hope others can find the means to also make this step towards a future full of new opportunities!
  • Deen Cameron  User Photo
    Deen Cameron • Student Verified via GitHub
    I chose to do the Java Full Stack course at Tech Elevator, I was in the remote cohort. Tech Elevator was one of the greatest decisions I've ever made. From start to finish, the staff was there for me every step of the way. I graduated February 12, 2021, and got my dream job offer exactly one week after graduation. I met the company through their matchmaking program. This process really works! If I had to start over again, I would STILL choose Tech Elevator.
  • Seth Boyle  User Photo
    Seth Boyle • Full Stack Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended Tech Elevator from May 2020-August 2020 in Cleveland, Ohio. It was the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic and the cohort had recently switched to full remote learning instead of their usual in-person instruction. TE adapted quickly and was able to provide a sufficient educational experience. I had spent 4-6 months prior working on CodeAcademy courses and working through the Harvard CS50 Intro to Comp Sci course (highly recommend) which helped introduce me to some of the fundamentals of coding and computer science.

Tech Elevator moves very quickly but with help from my main instructor, the cohort tutor and other students I felt I was able to keep up with the course work and learn A LOT in 14 weeks. There are 3 main modules that each last about 4 weeks. You first learn the basics of data structures and OOP in either Java or C#. The next 4 weeks you learn about databases and APIs and how to integrate them in your previously chosen language. Finally, the last 4 weeks is focused on Javascript and a modern JS framework (Vue.js is what I learned). At the end of each module you do a capstone project that you will eventually upload to your public GitHub that serves as your portfolio as you enter the job market. The final two weeks of the program is a bigger project where you simulate a real working experience with project requirements, daily stand-ups, a product manager and a live debut of your application.

Throughout the technical training you also go through the "Pathway" program. This is dedicated to sharpening your resume, LinkedIn and interviewing skills. The program also has a two week long period of "Matchmaking" where they let students sign up for real interviews with employer partners. I didn't end up getting a job from any of my matchmaking interviews since a lot of the companies were on a hiring freeze due to the pandemic but I still made valuable connections and was able to practice my behavioral and technical interviewing skills.

In conclusion, I went from working at a coffee shop part time and gigging as a freelance performing musician with an incomplete Bachelors degree in music, to landing my first job as a Software Developer in about 4-5 months during an unprecedented global pandemic. It was a lot of hard work but I felt supported throughout the whole process. Using modern tools and technologies prepared me for the job market and I was able to land a Junior Software Developer role within a week of completing the program. I actually felt very prepared for my first job which uses almost the same exact tech stack as the Tech Elevator curriculum.

I'm now 6 months into my first role, making twice as much money as I was before Tech Elevator and learning a ton everyday. I am super excited to grow my career and keep progressing as a developer. I'll admit I was skeptical of bootcamps in general and always thought you needed a college degree to work in software, but the demand is high and companies need developers. Whether you're completely self-taught, have some computer science experience or none at all, a bootcamp like Tech Elevator is a quick and affordable way to get industry relevant skills and real professional connections to kickstart your career in tech. It's a huge commitment to full time learning and countless hours of technical practice and homework for 4 months (basically impossible to hold down a job during the bootcamp, so savings and/or a loan need to be in place), but well worth it in my opinion.

• Micah Kaufman Wright  User Photo
    Micah Kaufman Wright • Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I don't think I could have timed this better if I planned it. I quit my restaurant job in the summer of 2019, took out a loan, and became a full time student at Tech Elevator in the fall.
    I learned Java and the basics of JavaScript, Vue.js, PostgreSQL, HTML/CSS, REST, etc. The beauty of this "bootcamp" was that it wasn't just teaching us coding, it was teaching us how developers work together both in theory (TDD, AGILE, etc.) and in tools (we learned a lot of GIT). And a good chunk of each day was spent learning how to interview well, how to pitch ourselves to recruiters and employers, how to build a LinkedIn presence and a resume. My teacher was knowledgeable and funny, engaging in a way that I really appreciated. We would spend the mornings learning, and the afternoons working on homework and projects. The teachers were always available to help us think through problems.
    The Pathway program helped us prepare for interviews and it helped us go through our first interviews right there, onsite. Matchmaking day was like a speed-dating-esque version of interviews, with quick 15 minute interviews at a building filled with company reps who were looking for new talent and knew that Tech Elevator produced grads well grounded in the basics of programming and well-equipped to continue learning.
    I would not have the job I have today, had I not had the Pathway Directors there to help me. I was asked to come in for a follow up interview with one of the companies I spoke with at Matchmaking, and was offered a job there. But there were a couple hiccups along the way that I doubt I would have handled on my own.
    I was hired in December of 2019, before I'd even graduated. My first day of work was February 10th, 2020. I was able to work in the office for a month before we were all sent to work from home. I am so grateful that I chose to change my career when I did, and that I now have a job with a future I can imagine, that I have the luxury of performing from home.
    My manager has been consistently impressed with my abilities, but also with my ability to reach out for help when I need it, and to articulate my ideas clearly to others. I think that not only did Tech Elevator help me learn to code, it helped me get back into the habit of constantly learning.
  • Robert Gongaware  User Photo
    Robert Gongaware • Associate Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I cannot recommend Tech Elevator enough to anyone interested in elevating their career and personal growth. In less than half a year, I went from unemployed, to learning a whole new skill set and landing a dream job within that field. I am using the skills that I learned at Tech Elevator to exceed expectations at my new job and could not be more proud of myself. The staff at Tech Elevator care intensely and invest in your success. From curriculum, to guidance, and eventual job placement, every avenue is meticulously structured to benefit YOU. This whole process was life changing; even being in my mid-thirties, I was confident in what I had learned would make me an attractive hiring candidate, and that paid off immensely.
  • Seth  User Photo
    Seth • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I completed the Tech Elevator Spring 2020 Java cohort at the Philadelphia campus.  Now, after 6+ months in my new role as a software developer, I can reflect on my experience at TE and how it helped prepare me for this career. TE was the right choice for me for the following reasons:
    • Technically rigorous. Software developer bootcamps are a major commitment of time and money and I wanted my experience to be technically challenging, giving me the best "bang for the buck."  I came to TE with a willingness to put in the work and felt challenged each and every day.
    • Instructor quality - TE instructors come from the industry and have extensive experience.  In addition to their technical knowledge, they truly know how to teach programming. They met each student at their level and were an invaluable resource for industry/career advice.
    • Pathways Program - TE's robust career program connected me with employers throughout the bootcamp.  Caitie and the TE team are hyper-focused on equipping students with the resources and connections for career advancement.

The tech elevator program was exactly as advertised.  One of the most important reasons why I chose TE was their publication of career statistics.  Rather than advertising one-off success stories, they deliver a program that allows hard-working individuals to successfully pivot into a software development field.  I saw it with my own journey, as well as in my classmates’.  The results speak for themselves!
  • Jeremiah Williams  User Photo
    Jeremiah Williams • Associate Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came into Tech Elevator with one semester of coding experience my freshman year of college, however no experience is needed. I know it can be hard to listen to strangers and trust reviews when making a big life decision. With that in mind I’m writing this with the readers thoughts in mind or with my thoughts almost 1 year ago. I was 19 years old at the time and had no idea what this bootcamp was like, I had no expectations and no information on what would be taught. All of the technology jargon and lingo on the internet is confusing and daunting when researching what Software Development is like. Fortunately no matter what your age, Tech Elevator is going to make sure you are ready for the workforce. I went to the Pittsburgh campus (although it was remote/online) and my experience was phenomenal. Not only do you have a bunch of like-minded individuals willing to offer their help, the instructors go above and beyond. They are in the right place as they all have this knack for making the material so understandable and really put in extra effort when someone doesn’t understand. On top of their teaching abilities, their knowledge of the material is extremely vast. The pathway program also works extremely hard to make sure everyone succeeds, on a personal level, and in job readiness. They will set up countless events that will help you acclimate to this new setting and prepare you to crush the interviews you’ll get at the end of the cohort. They are all friendly people that are more than willing to devote their time for your success. Overall, Tech Elevator is going to work with you and mold you into a Junior Developer no matter what your background and that can seem hard to fathom but I know so many of my (now junior developer) friends that thought the same thing. If you really want a change in your life, specifically in technology/software. This is for you.
  • Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Let me start by saying Tech Elevator was more than I could have hoped to get out of a bootcamp. Their environment, staff, curriculum, and overall structure was phenomenal. I come from a service industry background and have worn many different hats throughout the years including bartender, bar manager, and even small business owner, but I have always dreamed of a career in the technology field. I had heard about bootcamps but never had the push to switch careers until COVID hit and I needed to find a more resilient path. After months of due diligence weighing various program options and even considered teaching myself, I finally decided TE Columbus campus was the path for me. That decision was absolutely life changing and one that will go down as one of the best decisions I have ever made. I found lifelong friends and learned skills that I will never forget.

The staff at Tech Elevator is an inspiring and remarkable group of people. They have unparalleled abilities to transform students with limited development backgrounds into industry-ready software engineers. The curriculum is fast and vast, allowing you to get the full stack experience in a short amount of time. The instructors go above and beyond to ensure the knowledge you acquire sticks with you and is applicable to the current job market. I remember many times that I reached out to the instructors outside of office hours or on the weekends to ask questions or clarify a lesson. They were accessible and didn’t hesitate to ensure I had the information I needed to be successful. The career services “pathway program” is remarkable at developing soft skills, resumes, and general industry knowledge into sharpened tools. As someone who thought they wouldn't gain a lot from that kind of insight, I was glad to be proven wrong and they turned my unique skills into an impressive toolkit. The support staff holds everything together behind the scenes and works diligently to prepare students to succeed. If you have the time, drive, and “why” to devote yourself to a life-altering career change in software development then this is THE place for you. I would have given more stars if it was possible.

The curriculum is on point with the current job market. The instructors are diligent and as hungry as you are to help you succeed. The pathway program, career services, will polish you up and take you to where you want to be. The support staff is there to build up your chances to succeed. Overall, the staff is what sets Tech Elevator apart and will give it all they have as long as you're willing to do the same.

Be warned, this is called a BOOTCAMP for a reason and this decision should not be taken lightly. It was one of the hardest journeys I’ve ever set out on, but also the most rewarding. I don’t know how some of my classmates completed this program while managing part-time jobs and taking care of small children. I devoted my full schedule to TE and spent at least 60+ hours a week on class assignments, reading or polishing my skills. Taking yourself out of your comfort zone is where you learn the most and you get out of this program what you put into it. I highly suggest not heading into this program thinking you can skate by.

• Elaina Rusetsky  User Photo
    Elaina Rusetsky • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came to Tech Elevator because it was my top choice after reviewing dozens of coding boot camps. I was struck by their Pathway Program, which equips students with the necessary skills to find employment after the cohort ends. I am pleased to say I was not disappointed in the slightest. In addition to coding skills, we learned how to prepare resumes, optimize LinkedIn, and interview both technically and behaviorally. Towards the end of the program, students got to do employee "matchmaking," where we interviewed with several hiring employers from companies like PNC and Chase.

I feel like Tech Elevator cultivates a supportive learning environment where it is okay to be wrong and make mistakes. The curriculum was tough, but someone was always available to help, even after normal business hours (and they weren't required to!). Staff were understanding and accommodating towards learning disabilities and stress.

In fourteen weeks, I doubled my salary and emerged with new confidence and friendships. Tech Elevator was an amazing experience and I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone willing to put in the effort.
  • Jonathan George  User Photo
    Jonathan George • Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I'm a graduate from Tech Elevator Philadelphia Java Cohort 2 happily writing this review on the first day of my new Software Developer Associate role.FFromrom
    From start to finish Tech Elevator were incredible and welcoming. I was dubious about distance learning at first due to the pandemic but TE really managed to foster a sense of community and helped adapt to your learning style. You can go into this course with zero knowledge and come out the other end understanding enough to land a job, however it will take continued learning (for years to come) and persistence to really understand any topic you touch upon.

The pathway program was by far the most appealing thing to me and the support in job searching and interviewing was crucial in me landing my current role. Caitie who was the program director did an amazing job and tirelessly answered questions and kept on top of everyone's progress.

Everyone I interacted with did an amazing job from Amber and Caitie to the instructors Rich, Kevin, Margaret and Josh. There's always someone willing to help you learn.

The only negatives were web dev section is very quick, no in person graduation and not meeting the friends I made in my cohort but these were mainly covid or time related.

• Jesse Heller  User Photo
    Jesse Heller • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Background

Prior to enrolling at Tech Elevator I worked primarily in the service industry; I have a BBA in Finance from Temple University, though I never worked in the field professionally. After experience severe burnout as a bartender, I started weighing my options as to what my next move would be. I completed some online programming tutorials around that time, and found myself rather enjoying the process. That went on for awhile before it occurred to me that this was something I could see myself doing professionally. I initially considered going back to school for a second Bachelor's degree, though I didn't think I could tolerate another 2-4 years in the industry before making a change. As such, I felt a boot camp would be a good 'meet in the middle' option.

At the time, there weren't a lot of options for boot camps in Philly. While doing some background research on boot camps in general, I found some praise on Reddit for the Tech Elevator program from an individual that had attended one of their Ohio campuses. I started checking out the TE program and, wouldn't you know, they were opening a campus in Philadelphia that month! I honestly kind of figured it was kismet, and I don't believe in such things, but I digress.

After that I started vetting the program as much as possible, trying to find anything negative about TE from someone who had attended. It was, after all, a not insignificant amount of money for the program, and I wanted to be sure I was making the right decision. My search turned up nothing substantive, so I decided to take the plunge and apply.

Overall

I cannot say enough good things about Tech Elevator. This program can and will enable you to make a career change if you are willing to put the work in. I'm very confident in saying you will get as much out of it as you put in. There's no two ways about it: it's tough. It's intense. But if you grind it out you'll amaze yourself with how much you've accomplished by the end.

The cohort I was a part of started in May 2020. We started off virtually, though we were tentatively supposed to go back in person at some point during the program. Obviously, that never came to fruition. At the start I was admittedly pretty disappointed about the prospect of doing everything online, though in hindsight it actually turned out to be a huge positive, as my Philly cohort was combined with the Detroit cohort starting at the same time. I was pretty indifferent about this initially, though having the opportunity to collaborate with the people in Detroit ended up being one of my favorite parts of the whole experience.

Both of the instructors for my cohort were great. During each module, one instructor would lead the daily lecture, with the other serving in an assistant / supplemental role. They switched roles -- so that the primary would be the assistant, and vice versa -- between each module. The instructors made themselves readily available throughout -- always beyond just providing lectures -- which was huge, especially in the early days. There was a very palpable sense that the instructors wanted to see us succeed (and weren't just 'doing a job'), which I found encouraging. One instructor did outshine the other, though both were extremely capable.

The program was split up into four modules:

1. Core Java
    2. Relational Databases
    3. RESTful APIs
    4. Front End (HTML / CSS / JS / Vue.js)

A typical day would consist of 2.5 - 3 hours of lecture in the morning, and then an assignment for the evening. This structure works well because learning-by-doing is very much the best (I'd argue only) way to learn programming. Each module would conclude with a capstone project that encapsulated everything we had learned up to that point, including what was covered in the prior modules. This was effective in building a strong foundation as we progressed.

The first module is, in my opinion, the toughest. Not because it is the most complex from a technical standpoint, but because if you're coming in with no (or very little) experience programming, it's A LOT to learn upfront. One of the instructors likened it to 'drinking out of a fire hose', which I think is an apt metaphor. I was able to lessen some of the anguish of the early days due to my self-study prior to enrollment; while not strictly necessary, or even expected, I do think it helped me start off on the right foot.

My only gripe with the curriculum was the final module. We were taught Vue.js, the least in demand of the three most popular JS frameworks based on what I saw while looking for jobs. Overall, a relatively minor complaint as there's a degree of overlap with all three, and presumably if you knew Vue it wouldn't be too difficult to pick up one of the other two if a job required it.

Overall, the material that's covered in the first three modules comprises 80-90% of what's needed for my job on a day-to-day basis, so these skills are absolutely relevant and in demand.

The Pathway Program is really what sets Tech Elevator apart from other boot camps. When I was applying I felt Pathway was a nice 'cherry on top', but didn't think much of it. Looking back, the Pathway program was at the very least equally as important as the technical skills I acquired in contributing to my ability to get a job. Getting experience with mock behavioral / technical interviews prior to real interviews, panels with actual working professionals, employer showcases with companies that are hiring, match making, tracking down job leads (including after graduating) .. I could go on. All of these things were invaluable. Less tangibly, the Pathway director for my cohort was a tremendous cheerleader, and always there to offer a word of encouragement when needed; it was evident there was a very real desire to see everyone in the cohort succeed.

Closing Thoughts

If you're sure learning software development is what you want to do, I cannot recommend Tech Elevator enough. It is without a doubt a grueling experience, but if you don't give up on yourself, the staff won't give up on you. That's as much as you could ask for.

• Erum Khan  User Photo
    Erum Khan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have been a stay at home mom for the last decade. For quite some time, I had wanted to restart my career but didn’t know how to go about it. Tired of not getting anywhere with my attempts, and inspired by the reviews of TE alumni, I decided to take the plunge and enrolled at TE.

In a little more than 3 weeks since graduation, I have received 2 job offers, negotiated a raise in salary (again with guidance from TE), and have come to know many people I can reach out to in the future. I have also gained confidence in my strengths, and the technical knowledge that I have amassed at TE.

Now a bit about the process that brought about this transformation for me :)

First, the program was fully remote for my cohort. I was uncertain about how effective and rigorous remote learning could be, but from the comfort of my home, I felt like I was fully engaged in all the activities at TE. I got to work closely with people, and was amazed by how much could be accomplished virtually - we attended classes, employer showcases, panel discussions, presentations, worked in teams for our capstones and paired assignments, participated in whiteboard sessions, interviewed with companies, etc.

Second, the technical curriculum is very well organized, and is updated regularly. During technical interviews, I came to learn how relevant the curriculum at TE is to current industry needs. My instructor was clearly an expert in the subject matter covered, and moreover, would often give tips about standard practices in the tech industry, stress upon which material was important to know for interviews, etc. Over the course of the 14 weeks, I came to deeply appreciate his availability, concern and respect for each of his students, and his knowledgeable answers to (and endless patience for) my many questions. I interacted in some form or another with each of the Pittsburgh TE staff, and found every one of them to be informed, helpful, and clearly invested in their students’ success.

Third, the learning process at TE involves much more than technical knowledge. We created resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and “elevator pitches”, and learnt how to make contacts and apply for jobs. We also practiced interviewing for HR, behavioral, and technical interviews. Each one of us, as we are receiving offers, get guidance through ensuing negotiations.

Fourth, TE has a relationship with many local tech companies, and this gives its students a distinct advantage over other candidates for jobs available with these companies. Many of these companies have hired TE graduates, been happy with their hires, and now return regularly for more hires. Closer to the end of the cohort, TE organizes an event called “Matchmaking”, where students interview with companies that are actively recruiting for jobs. This is an invaluable event for the students and leads to job offers for many of them.

Fifth, students (even remote ones) get to work with others on a regular basis. Paired assignments were given every week, and I got to work with a team for each of the 3 capstones. The last of these was two weeks long, and we followed the Agile methodology (which is practiced by many companies), complete with a product manager and scrum master, daily standups, demos, post demo discussions, and a final presentation to everyone at TE.

If all of this sounds a bit much for 14 weeks, it’s because it is :) However, it is entirely doable if one treats TE like a full time job, works hard, and trusts the process. Attending TE was a truly unique and wonderful experience for me… I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone interested in revamping/ starting out their career in tech!

Tech Elevator Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 73 graduates included in report:

99% of job obtainers reported salaries. 4% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.