tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Wilmington

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator offers both full-time and part-time coding bootcamps that prepare students for a career as a software developer, starting with an Aptitude Test. Applicants can then choose to study Java or .NET. Throughout the bootcamp, students also learn HTML, CSS, SQL, API, and JavaScript. The full-time bootcamp runs for 14 weeks, Monday through Friday, 9-4:30 pm, and the part-time bootcamp runs for 30-weeks with a mix of independent study, live lectures and small-group programming. Both programs have a low student-to-instructor ratio to ensure the best supportive environment for participants. Tech Elevator’s instruction is delivered both remotely and in-person at campuses located in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Wilmington. Tech Elevator also offers students beyond its core markets, and throughout North America, class options through its National Live Remote program.

Tech Elevator’s career-readiness Pathway Program is responsible for high placement outcomes and includes personalized coaching sessions, interview practice, 6 months of placement support post-graduation, and alumni and mentor networking. Tech Elevator also offers its students and alumni direct connections to employers through employer showcases and interviewing events.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (401) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (69) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Full-Time Java Coding Bootcamp - In-person

CSS, HTML, Java, JavaScript, Git, Front End, Agile, MVC, REST, Scrum, SQL
    Start Date May 16, 2022
    LocationColumbus, Cleveland, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Dallas
    Course topics include an Introduction to Programming in Java, Client-Server Programming in Java, and Client Side Web Programming (Git, Java, SQL, Spring Boot, REST, JSON, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Vue.js).
    Tuition Plans$7,975 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,975 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    ScholarshipAvailable scholarship opportunities https://www.techelevator.com/scholarships
    May 16, 2022 - Wilmington Apply by May 04, 2022
    September 12, 2022 - Philadelphia Apply by August 31, 2022
  • Full-Time Java Coding Bootcamp - Remote

CSS, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, Front End, Agile, MVC, REST, Scrum, SQL
    LocationOnline, Charlotte, Detroit, Chicago, Dallas

Tuition Plans$7,975 due at the time of shipping equipment, $7,975 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    May 16, 2022 - Online Apply by May 04, 2022
    July 05, 2022 - Detroit Apply by June 22, 2022
    September 12, 2022 - Detroit Apply by August 31, 2022
    October 24, 2022 - Detroit Apply by October 12, 2022
  • Full-Time .NET/C# Coding Bootcamp - In-person

C#, CSS, Git, HTML, .NET, SQL, ASP.NET, MVC, MySQL, Agile, JavaScript, REST, Scrum
    LocationPhiladelphia, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati
    Course topics include an Introduction to Programming in C#, Client-Server Programming in .NET, and Client Side Web Programming (Git, C#, SQL, ASP.NET Web API, REST, JSON, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Vue.js).

May 16, 2022 - Cleveland Apply by May 04, 2022
    September 12, 2022 - Pittsburgh Apply by August 31, 2022
  • Part-Time Java Coding Bootcamp - Remote

SQL, Scrum, REST, MVC, JavaScript, Java, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS, Agile
    Start Date April 23, 2022
    Tuition PlansSession 1 tuition..........$5,316.67 Upfront Session 2 tuition..........$5,316.67 Before Module 2 (week 10) Session 3 tuition..........$5,316.66 Before Module 3 (week 20)
    April 23, 2022 - Online Apply by April 10, 2022
    August 20, 2022 - Online Apply by August 07, 2022
  • Steven Kearney • Associate Software Developer • Graduate
    I attended the 14-weel Tech Elevator boot camp in Columbus, OH during the covid pandemic. It was the schools first full cohort completely remote. I was surprised by how smoothly everything ran and the amount of attention I was able to receive individually despite being remote. I also carry a four year degree from Ohio State, and I can whole-heartedly say that I felt my Tech Elevator professors provided a better service. There was more personal attention, a high professor to student ratio, and both of my professors were highly knowledgeable in the field. The price tag is a little steep, but three months after finishing the cohort I received an offer 35k higher than what I was making before the cohort, and mind you this was during the pandemic. Definitely expect to put in a lot of work, but Tech Elevator does everything they can to help you be successful.
  • James Arnold • Senior Analyst • Graduate
    If you're looking for a boot camp to guide you into your new career in Software Development, there is none better than Tech Elevator.  I chose Tech Elevator after seeing the CIRR report that provides complete transparency into their 95% graduation rate and 92% job placement rate.  The program was supposed to be in person, but due to Covid was transitioned to online.  In my opinion, the program was outstanding fully remote.  The instructors are available day and night to answer any question you may have and go above and beyond.  The pathway program cannot be understated though.  They truly prepare you for the developer interview process and don't quit until you're signing your offer letter.  The combination of these two programs sets Tech Elevator apart.  I cannot recommend it enough.
  • Brendan Bailey • Software Developer I • Graduate
    Do the prework and more
    if you are accepted be sure to finish the prework in its entirety along with any additional resources that are offered, also take some time to familiarize yourself with the coding language track you selected (C# or Java). You shouldn't try to learn everything before the cohort but the more you focus on the fundamentals and introductory material the better. Reach out to your instructor for advice on what material to use so you don't waste time learning the wrong things.
    You do NOT need prior coding experience to be successful
    I joined without any previous coding experience and I landed a job a month after graduating.
    Make sure you are communicating with faculty on a regular basis to share any input or concerns they will set aside time to hear you.
  • Great School
    - 9/29/2020
    Brian Woods • IT and Database Coordinator • Graduate
    I went to school to retrain from a career as a Network Engineer to software development.  I felt that the curriculum covered enough to get me started into my new career.
  • Yichen • Graduate
    This is an overview of my 14-week experience.

Location: Detroit/Philadelphia combined remote
    Session: Summer 2020
    Track: Java (because I've heard of Java but not .NET, plus this was the only track at my campus)

Part 0: Why Bootcamp
    ---TL,DR--- Want programming job, need structure for learning.

I chose a coding bootcamp because my top priority was to get a job as soon as possible (within reason) and still have formal structure for studying how to program. Willpower alone would not have sustained my motivation to break into coding for weeks on end.

Part 1: The Cost
    ---TL,DR--- Not cheap, but worth it for me, with great instructors, career support, and highly motivated classmates.

Tuition is nothing to sneeze at, so of course consider your finances and look carefully at all your options in terms of financing and education. Tech Elevator does have a scholarship that covers a bit over 80% of the cost, which is starting now for future cohorts. Apply for it (check eligibility). Coming out of TE, personally, I've heard of people in my cohort being offered between $55-70K for annual salary with different companies after the program.

It's not the best of economic worlds, but you can make it work. For me, I looked at TE's record of alumni hire rate, average salary, and the partner companies my TE campus has. I signed on because I believed that the collaboration and connections the staff at my campus had would help me succeed in my job search.

Part 2: Career Support
    ---TL,DR--- Great guidance, structure, and network, but of course I still have to put in the work.

Knowing how tough the job market (still) is, having a program with a strong career support record was the top priority for me and my classmates. TE's Pathway Program helped me polish my resume and interview skills, as well as push me to make and maintain professional connections. Even in this market, a few of my classmates were hired on Matchmaking Day, with many more of us getting offers now, about a month or so after graduation, though it is not uncommon to find positions later, especially with pandemic-triggered shutdowns and hiring freezes only starting to ease off recently and companies clearing their hire backlog (I do hear and sense that tech is one of the departments at all companies that have restarted their hiring earliest).

After graduation, Pathway support continues. Before accepting my position, I had weekly appointments with my Pathway Director to check in, look over application materials, and set goals. I could also make appointments with instructors to practice technical interviews, ask questions about the industry, or ask for other advice. There are regular posts on job fairs and other resources for local, relocation, and remote positions. The staff are amazing, and their top priority is supporting us as we work towards getting at least one offer. Looking for a job is never easy, but having the structure in place gave me peace of mind and greater accountability.

In addition to the staff, there is an amazing TE alumni network. I really appreciate the time our alumni gave us in panels, happy hours, and in one-on-one chats via LinkedIn, etc. Each person I reached out to was tremendously generous with their help, tips, and advice. Even during the earliest company demos and later on in the interview process, I could feel that my path has been made smoother and more doors have been opened because of the work put in by the TE alumni who have come before me. Even now, I enjoy staying in touch and have the privilege of working at an organization where I’m onboarding with a bunch of my classmates while shadowing another alum and their team to get a sense of what the day-to-day on an active project is like.

Part 3: Class and Homework
    ---TL, DR--- There’s a lot of work, but staying organized, asking for help, and giving help should get you through, barring whatever else this year is going to throw at us.

Margaret is one of the best teachers I’ve had the luck to learn from. We had a lot of homework. My classmates asked fantastic questions. Pair-programming is the best (for instance, I might forget something and ask about it in a vague round-about way, and my life-saving partner would go "Oh! Here's how you do that...", and also one-letter typos breaking our web applications are mind-blowing and better tackled with a buddy or two). I can go on and on.

Here’s what I thought was most important:
    • Stay organized. I used:
    1. Ryver’s “Personal Tasks” and “Task Stream” for daily to-dos, such as the quiz, exercises, tutorial, etc (and you keep Ryver access after graduating, so if you like it you can continue to use it)
    2. Bullet-ish journal, on recommendation by an alum (YouTube has videos on bullet journaling), because I like pen and paper

• Practice, practice, practice: katas for tech interviews later (and your pitch in general, on the Pathway side). I tried to do at least 1 little coding practice every 2 days or so on HackerRank. CodeWars and others can be useful, as well.

• Complete side projects. This is definitely something I wish I’d done more of, but hey, never too late to start. Start small. Ask your instructors for ones that take a few hours just to get started once you get through a little bit of Module 1. Dip your toe in and grab some wins. Then stretch yourself and see what a project that takes more time, spread out over a few days, feels like. Push to a week. More important than anything else: Just do it. (Says me, who definitely spent more time reading articles about other people’s thoughts on their side projects and side project ideas than actually doing the work.)

Yes, you have a ton of homework and you need to write a kick-butt pitch. Yes, you have other obligations outside of TE. Yes, you have to sleep. So start simple, and do it. Outside of being crucial during the interview process, side projects are how you keep learning long past TE.

• Ask for help. Your instructors are amazing human beings. Your classmates are shelling out a lot of money and time to learn, same as you. Maybe you like figuring things out a bit on your own first. Maybe you prefer to have someone to chat with right when you git pull those delicious exercises. Either way, set yourself a “struggle time” - could be 10-30 min (that’s my personal daily homework to capstone project range) - and if you are still stuck after that, ask for help. The best thing that can happen is that you get unstuck. The better thing that can happen is that you also help other people who had the same issue. There is no downside.

Part 4: Completely Remote
    ---TL,DR--- We still built a strong sense of community. 2+ monitors and Dark Mode will save your sanity. Connectivity and equipment issues happen, but staff are very helpful and fixes/workarounds can be found when you communicate the issues ASAP. Mind your mental health - unplug, move, meditate, whatever works for you.

Firstly, being remote means that your equipment will either be shipped to you, or there will be a socially-distanced hand-off you’ll drive to. The previous cohort started classes in-person for a few weeks before the shutdown made everything remote. Our cohort was completely remote. I do miss in-person interaction. I’m also very happy about the sub-minute commute.

Sococo is a web application TE uses that's very useful for seeing who’s around and seeing who’s working on what assignments. Hop in a Jitsi/Zoom/Hangout/whatever, as your schedule allows. Ask for and give help. Make some friends! Patricia also hosted optional weekly game hours for us on Fridays with Jackbox games. Working and playing together, not to mention all the kudos we were giving and getting on Ryver, went a long way towards building a sense of community, at least for me.

Here’s what helped me:
    • Hide my Zoom camera display. If you’re exhausted by staring at your own face, like I am, Zoom will let you hide your own image from your screen. You’re still on camera, so don’t pick your nose or stand up without pants on, but I definitely felt less pressure when I didn’t have to look at myself. At the same time, getting to see my instructors’ and classmates’ faces definitely helped me feel a sense of camaraderie and engage more in the lessons.

• Give kudos and shout-outs. Noting something specific that you thought someone did really well, such as answering or asking a question, being encouraging, etc, and give them a shout-out on Ryver. The days can be long and arduous, and sharing my gratitude and wins made them better.

• Move. Don’t sit down for too long. Look out a window or at least at something that’s beyond your screen(s) regularly (25 minutes if you’re a Pomodoro fan) and stretch your limbs, back, and neck. If you find yourself feeling grumpy, take a break, eat a snack. If it’s late, push your edits and go sleep.

• Unplug. Make time to go off-screen. Hang out with the lovely beings you’re living with. Take time for yourself. Go out for a walk. Meditate. Work out. Put those moments on your schedule. They will help you stay recharged and ready to learn some more.

Most importantly
    Have confidence in yourself. You’re taking care of you, and probably your loved ones, too. You’re planning out the next steps of your path. You’re doing the research. You might also be learning a bit about programming already.

You’ve got this.

I wish you all the best! And I hope you found my thoughts helpful.
    - 9/23/2020
    Norm • Student
    Tech Elevator was great all around. I had some coding experience coming in, but really it was just some classes I took in high school and college. Basically I could declare a variable and understood some basics like if statements and loops. But the school was really great with all students no matter what their skill level coming in. Andy and Margaret (the instructors) were always available to answer questions and help anyone who needed it. Plus the pathway program really helped prepare me to find a job. Matter of fact, when I got my offer, the recruiter had even told me how they've always had good experiences with Tech Elevator grads so it almost certainly increased my likelihood of getting picked.
  • Unbeatable Value!!
    - 9/21/2020
    Derek • Junior Release Engineer • Graduate
    I, like many others, tried to do the "teach yourself coding" path.  I took numerous online classes and read books on the hottest technologies, and even with a college degree and 10 years of engineering work experience, I got ZERO traction when it came to actually getting interviews.  THIS is the part that makes Tech Elevator perhaps the best value in education (perhaps ANY kind of investment) around.  You can check the stats on this website or elsewhere - at Tech Elevator Pittsburgh, over 90% of people who complete the curriculum leave with a job, and the average salary is ~$60k (apologies if those numbers are off a bit).  The return on the investment in yourself, in such a short time, is unmatched.  On top of the nearly guaranteed job, you will also get a TOP-NOTCH education from friendly and knowledgeable instructors that will prepare you for the modern tech economy.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET GOING TO TECH ELEVATOR PITTSBURGH!
  • Nate G • Software Developer Associate • Graduate
     When I decided I was ready to make a career move the list of boot camps for coding was a long one. Tech Elevator quickly rose to the top of that list based on their proven track record. Coming from a blue collar job working as a welder I was apprehensive about whether I would be able to thrive in this environment or be accepted by my peers. Those worries were promptly squashed as I began to interact with the staff and eventually my fellow students. Everyone was so welcoming and ready to help. The staff made the transition into learning as smooth as they could for me.

Regarding the coursework, it was nothing short of phenomenal. Tech Elevator's team of instructors, tutors and mentors are all top notch. They throw a lot at you, and it comes fast, but they also provide the support to help you succeed. The coding portion of their curriculum is rigorous and challenging. It is also highly effective. I went from almost no coding experience to being able to write my first basic program in a matter of weeks. By the end of the cohort I was participating in full stack development of web applications comfortably.

The career prep portion of the cohort was hardly an aside. It was one of the main attractions for me to Tech Elevator. I learned how to effectively sell myself to potential employers. How to build a professional network of peers and mentors. In depth training and practice for both behavioral and technical interviews. These are just a few highlights from that part of the program that did so much to prepare me to actually land a job upon graduation.

Tldr: - Came in with no experience in software development
            - Had an exceptional learning and professional development experience led by a team of wonderful people
            - Within a month of graduating I have landed my first job as a Software Developer with a reputable company
            - 100% recommend Tech Elevator to anyone looking to break into tech
  • The Best
    - 9/17/2020
    Zachary • Graduate
    When I knew that I needed to make a change in my career and was looking at different bootcamps it was a real challenge. This may not be the easiest choice because of the price, but it is the right choice. I'm a recent graduate from the summer 2020 cohort, because of the virus finding a job has become a lot more difficult. However, Tech Elevator's learning and job assistance during and after the cohort is amazing. I'm not sure if this will chance in the future or not, but currently they have an instructor dedicated to assisting students with their personal development.

Anyways TLDR, price high but worth, job support during and after great, best bootcamp you can buy.
  • Ellen McCartney • Software Engineer - Ford X @ Ford Motor Company • Graduate
    I chose Tech Elevator after attending a virtual open house and attending a MeetUp event where I heard some employees speak on the value of the program. The admission process of an interview and two aptitude tests stood out to me as a reason I wanted to join this bootcamp. They aren't out to take money from hopeful students and just see if they get through the course - Tech Elevator carefully vets their students to make sure they have what it takes to devote 14 straight weeks of rigorous and fast-paced learning. The staff will tell you over and over - this program is not for everyone, but those who it can work for will see outstanding results.

Before starting at TE, I was a paralegal for 3 years. I wanted more growth and something to challenge my mind every day, so software development was my top choice. The staff and instructors at Tech Elevator were better than I could have hoped for. We covered so much information in such a short amount of time that I personally believe would be impossible to do successfully without the right staff. The instructors are knowledgeable, available to help, and most of all committed to your success (shoutout Margaret Green & Rich Seeds!!). The Pathway director made herself available constantly for questions and guidance as well (thank you Caitie Zajko!!). The team at TE makes the experience. Even the alumni open themselves up to new students for networking and connecting at new companies. I should note that my entire cohort was remote, so even though we never met in person, we had no problem forming strong bonds as a group.

I was hired as a Software Engineer for Ford Motor Company within two weeks of graduation. I am the only one on my team now who did not receive a 4 year degree in computer science. My managers told me I was chosen because my coding assessment and my understanding of the concepts taught by Tech Elevator were stronger than some of the people with 4 year degrees. This is a HUGE testament to what you can get out of Tech Elevator if you apply yourself. It is far from an easy process - you will struggle, struggle some more, have a breakthrough, then get right back to struggling. But you cannot see the forest for the trees, so when the TE staff inevitably tells you to trust the process and that you're making progress, believe them, especially on the days it does not feel like it.

I was fortunate enough, even amidst the pandemic, to be offered a role from PNC as well as Ford. I was also offered follow-up interviews with 3 other companies. I bring this up for two reasons - 1. The Pathway Program will turn you into a lean, mean, interviewing machine. You will know your resume like you know the alphabet. You will have to present elevator pitches on your goals and background. You will have the shiniest LinkedIn in town. The job preparation portion of the program at TE is unrivaled - make sure you get the most out of it!! 2. Before starting Tech Elevator, I never touched a line of code. I knew NOTHING. But I showed up every day ready to learn and ask questions, and was met with an enthusiastic support staff and classmates that could relate to me as we carried each other to the finish line. Now we are all celebrating our new job titles together. Lean on your classmates!!

If you take anything from this review, let it be this: 14 weeks is not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things. The opportunity to meaningfully change your career and your life in such a short time is almost unheard of. It will be hard to show up every day when things get difficult or you feel yourself slipping behind. It's even harder when it's a holiday weekend and everyone's on the beach but you're inside on your computer doing a capstone. But remember it is only 14 weeks. Make the most of every class, every homework assignment, every capstone, and every presentation. Utilize all of your time to growing your knowledge base. You will thank yourself for it later when everything comes together.
  • Good material
    - 9/3/2020
    Josef Widdifield • Frontend Developer • Graduate
    The material covered in the class portion of this boot camp is a great start to any coding career. They prepared me well for concepts and reinforcing what we learned through projects.
  • Brooks G • Software Engineer

Phenomenal.  Everyone at Tech Elevator cares about your success and progression in your transition into a new industry.  Couldn't have asked for a better group of individuals to help guide us down this daunting (but rewarding) path.

I attended the first Philadelphia cohort (Cohort[0]).  My instructors, Rich and Andrew, were awesome.  Both had loads of experience in the industry, and they were more than willing to share it.  While we, unfortunately, went 100% remote about halfway through the cohort, the instructors' were never phased by it & were just as helpful and instructive as they were when everything was done in person.  I was, admittedly, probably one of the more annoying members of any cohort that they've had to date -- sending messages at all hours of the night -- and while they would perhaps make fun of me on occasion for it (in good humor), they were typically always happy to provide a prompt response, regardless of the hour.  I am grateful for their time & willingness to oblige my oft-absurd requests.

The instructors that Tech Elevator hires are amazing -- Rich and Andrew among them, as well as Walt and Andy, who kept us engaged with lectures & developmental projects once the cohort completed.

This section contains my only gripe with the program.  And, granted, like all of us who have attended Tech Elevator, I am relatively new to the industry -- there's a good chance that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Throughout the bootcamp, in modules 3 and 4, two of the major topics that we covered were Spring and Vue.  Both of these seem to be used somewhat infrequently in the industry, from what I've gathered (or, at least among companies in local Philadelphia job listings).  While Spring is quite common, we learned what I might call a basic/legacy version of Spring, whereas many companies nowadays use Spring Boot.  Moreover, while Vue is a popular JavaScript framework, many companies tend to prefer Angular or React over Vue.  Having said that, working with the version of Spring that we did provided an outstanding foundation for the MVC framework, and Vue is very similar to Angular/React and other front-end frameworks & was a blast to work with.  So, even while I may have been slightly disappointed in that respect (mostly in hindsight), the information was still incredibly valuable & certainly didn't harm my job prospects any.

On that note:  It sounds as though Tech Elevator has transitioned into teaching Spring Boot, and Angular/React are as easy to pick up on as ever via other resources.  This industry requires a LOT of self-learning and gumption -- there's a 99.9% chance that your post-Tech Elevator job will require you to learn something new.  Odds are, if you're accepted to Tech Elevator, you're already the type of person to embrace that learning curve!

Pathway & Job Assistance:

The Pathway team is awesome.  Caitie, the Philadelphia cohort's Pathway Director, is an inspiring individual & works harder than just about anyone that I've ever met.  She was there virtually 24/7 to ensure that we were taken care of & on top of things in regards to the non-technical aspects of the industry and concomitant job hunt -- occasionally to a "what the hell?" degree (e.g. she will actually message you at 11:45 on a Sunday night if you haven't submitted something that's due on that Sunday at midnight, which was a common deadline for Pathway stuff).  It's easy to disregard the Pathway side of things with all of the technical information shoved into your head, but it's truly all to your benefit, and she was incredibly helpful throughout.

The rest of the team was incredibly helpful as well.  They'll take care of anything from interview & resume preparation to raw pre-interview hype-up sessions.  Could not have asked for anything more here.  The Pathway Program is one of the primary reasons that I signed up for Tech Elevator, and it was even better than expected.

COVID-19:

While, as mentioned, I enrolled & completed the program amid the outset of COVID, this did not seem to remotely dissuade the Pathway team nor the Instructional team.  Everything proceeded as smoothly as it possibly could have.  Unfortunately, COVID did have the adverse effect of deterring a number of hiring partners & companies that Tech Elevator had lined up for Tech Elevator's "Matchmaking" sessions.  Our program only had 4 companies in total attend, while it seems that the norm for Tech Elevator's past bootcamps is 10+ companies, or in some locations, 20+ companies (with very direct connections).  The majority of my cohort, as well as the most recent cohort, which was done completely remotely, seems to have received and/or accepted offers, so I wouldn't let the COVID situation detract from your desire to attend an online-based bootcamp -- be it via Tech Elevator or another program.

It was tough under the circumstances, but again, things went about as smoothly as possible.  I would expect that things will be remote through at least the end of the year (2020), but sincerely, I wouldn't let that fact dissuade you from considering this career transition; in fact, the current job market may even be more of an inspiration to do so -- much of the technical industry needs individuals to support all of the remote-based applications running nowadays!

Location:

In Philadelphia, in non-COVID times, the campus is located in the heat of Center City -- an awesome area with a ton to do nearby.  If you're able to attend in person, you will surely spend a lot of good time with classmates & TE team members around the city.

Recommendations / Tips:

Study up on your path of choice (Java / C#) beforehand if you can!  It is absolutely not necessary, but if you have the time to get comfortable with basic OOP & data structure concepts, you will have a major leg up on most of the class on Day 1.  If you're able to delve into any SQL/relational DB stuff as well, you'll likely feel very comfortable through the first half of the cohort.  Anything beyond that (MVC, client-side programming, etc) is setting you up to kill the course.  An understanding of basic HTML/CSS will definitely help along the way, which many enter the program with some familiarity with (and is also required to learn in the pre-work), but you'll pick those up regardless.

None of that is to say that it won't be worth the steep cost & time commitment -- because it absolutely will be.  That said, you can set yourself up with a very comfortable foundation for the material you'll learn by covering some of the technologies/languages mentioned above on websites like Pluralsight or Treehouse (which require a $25/mo subscription, approx -- I used Treehouse to start, as Pluralsight is a bit faster paced), or free websites like FreeCodeCamp.  This is in addition to the pre-work that Tech Elevator requires of you.

I would also recommend checking out websites like CodingBat to start working with data structures (you may need to review some of the aforementioned websites' material before you jump in here) -- and moving on to websites like HackerRank and LeetCode when you're more comfortable with those structures.  While this may not be something you need to keep up with once you're hired to a position, it is very common to encounter "coding challenges" during interviews (especially in the remote world that we're currently occupying, it's increasingly common to have pre-employment screenings via company-specific HackerRank assessments, for example), which are largely based on knowledge of these data structures and basic programming concepts (e.g. loops & conditionals).

Again, absolutely none of this is necessary -- most of my cohort started off with no technical experience whatsoever (some with varying levels of front-end and back-end knowledge), but in my experience, preparing ahead of time was a huge help.

Harvard's CS50 course is something that I would also 100% recommend checking out if you have the time, as it'll set you up with an amazing foundation of Computer Science concepts (e.g. data structures, memory allocation, algorithmic complexity, etc) that will carry over through Tech Elevator and beyond.

Final Thoughts:

Tech Elevator is a wonderful program that has changed the course of every graduate's life.  It is certainly not easy, but I wouldn't describe it as "the hardest thing that I've ever had to do," as many reviewers have.  Granted, I can see where they're coming from -- this program is no joke, and you will have your work cut out for you & then some.  Expect many 12+ hour days, especially during your final capstone!

Technical interviews aren't meant for leisure -- the program will not guarantee you a job, and you'll have to be diligent in ensuring that you know your shit.  That said, you'll have every opportunity to learn everything that you need to know to immediately embark on a new & rewarding career!  Embrace the challenge, enjoy it insofar as you can, and you'll resurface from the deluge just fine -- if not in a better position than you could have ever hoped for :)

Tech Elevator Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 73 graduates included in report:

99% of job obtainers reported salaries. 4% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.