tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator offers a full-time, 14-week coding bootcamp that prepares students for a career as a software developer. Prospective students can choose to study Java or .NET. Bootcamp students also learn HTML, CSS, SQL, API, and JavaScript. The bootcamp runs Monday through Friday, 9-4:30pm, and has a low student-to-instructor ratio to ensure the best support environment for participants.

Tech Elevator’s career-readiness Pathway Program is responsible for high placement outcomes and includes personalized coaching sessions, interview practice, 6 months of placement support post-graduation, and alumni and mentor networking. Tech Elevator also offers its students and alumni direct connections to employers through employer showcases and interviewing events.

Tech Elevator’s instruction is typically delivered both remotely and in-person at campuses located in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Charlotte, Detroit, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Tech Elevator also offers students beyond its core markets, and throughout North America, class options through its National Live Remote program.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (279) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (45) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationPhiladelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    January 11, 2021 - Philadelphia Apply by December 28, 2020
  • Java Coding Bootcamp - Remote

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date March 1, 2021
    LocationOnline, Charlotte, Detroit, Chicago
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    March 1, 2021 - Online Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Charlotte Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Detroit Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Chicago Apply by February 15, 2021
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, .NET, ASP.NET, CSS, MVC, SQL, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    January 11, 2021 - Columbus Apply by December 28, 2020
    January 11, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by December 28, 2020
    May 10, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by April 26, 2021
    May 10, 2021 - Columbus Apply by April 26, 2021
  • Nathan • Junior Developer • Graduate

I attended Tech Elevator's Cleveland-campus .Net cohort in early 2017. Prior to graduation, I had already secured a great job and couldn't recommend the program highly enough. My experience throughout was phenomenal - the teachers are extremely talented and friendly, the school is well-provisioned and equipped, and the career assistance and placement was above and beyond my expectations.

The teachers are for sure the highlight of the program, and are unto themselves enough reason to choose Tech Elevator over other boot camps. They are all highly knowledgeable industry veterans, but on top of that they really put effort and care into their teaching. The classes are well-structured and designed, and having spent several months on the job post-graduation, I can say with authority they are indeed relevant and prepare you for actual development work.

The workspace at TE is great. It's available 24-7 for student use (everyone gets parking and building keys), and is a great place to hang out. I especially enjoyed coming in on Saturday or Sunday, hanging out, grabbing lunch, and just leisurely studying or working with other students in a relaxed environment. Code for a few hours, maybe do some white-boarding then catch a few games of ping pong. Every student gets a powerful laptop for the duration of the course, which is nice as it puts everyone on the same level and ensures everything "just works." There are large monitors available around the classrooms and work spaces, a full kitchen and facilities, and couches to relax on (or fall asleep on when you're just exhausted).

In addition to the teaching staff, the career assistance staff at TE are again reason enough to choose their program over others. There is a distinct lack of soft-skills/career training in most boot camps, and TE combats this with ongoing work throughout the program. They help with resume building, cover letters and LinkedIn work, introducing numerous local companies throughout the program both in-person at events and lunches, and really put you in touch with potential employers in their expansive network. At the end of the program is a large career faire where each student selects and interviews with a handful of companies (generally 5-10 a person) and many students received job offers as a result. Long story short, they really put powerful connections in your hands that make the job search a significantly easier process.

At the end of the day, there are several boot camp options in Cleveland, and dozens more online. However, I can honestly say I believe none will serve you as well as Tech Elevator. I had worked for almost a decade in business prior to wanting a career change, and without a doubt coming to TE was the best career move I've ever made.

• Jack • Graduate

I have always been into computers and found that developing Applications was a definate passion of mine, but wanted to learn more efficiently and believed that a bootcamp would provide a better learning experience then I can have just reading books(taught myself Python). So after looking for a bootcamp that I believe I could excel in, I picked Tech Elevator. Mostly, for the reason of the main Java instructor David. He has done a lot in his career and thought that he would be a great instructor. For the most part the classes were decent. They had too many students in a class at once and that should have tipped me off that they are just about the money then, but I still participated and felt that the course material was taught pretty well. The problem is the money back guarantee is nonexistent. If you don't get hired within the two days of the company's coming in to interview you, then you are out of luck. They will not do anymore to help you in finding a job. They say they do but I have never seen this to be true. I have even called the supposedly people they have contacted and not one of them have said that they have talked or discussed anything to anyone. Then, after graduation they really became nonexistent. I had to chase them down and basically send multiple emails and phone calls before I got anyone to respond and at times it could take up to two weeks or a month before anyone would finally respond.

Lets go back to the money back guarantee, (again nonexistent) I made it very clear that I was on a leave of absence from my current job (in which I was not getting paid) so I can take this bootcamp. The CEO told me that I could go back to work and still be eligible for the money back guarantee. Unfortunately he lied and said that he would never have agreed to that. That right there told me that they don't care about the students and they are at the end of the day looking for that check and nothing else. I am a father raising two boys, cleaning out my life savings to take this class and provide a better future for my boys and instead I got cheated by this school. Plus while we were discussing this, he tried to play it off as I was stupid and not intellectual enough to learn the criteria. What he doesn't realize is, it wasn't the programming I wasn't getting, it was the job help and pathway program they had that wasn't doing their job. The sad part is all I wanted was to find that dream job. If they truly would of done what they were suppose to and help me find that job I would of had one a lot sooner, not a year later and I got a job where I'm not even doing anything they have taught me. Overall be wary of the founder, he is like a used car salesman and will tell you everything you want to hear just to take it away when you need it most. I would not recommend going to this school.

Response From: Anthony Hughes of Tech Elevator
    Title: CEO
    Tuesday, Jun 06 2017
    Jack,

We’re sorry that you feel your experience at Tech Elevator was not a worthwhile one. We pride ourselves on providing a quality experience, and the many authentic, incredible reviews we have demonstrate that your experience is not a typical one.   In fact, in the latest reporting of outcomes, Tech Elevator’s job placement rate is one of the highest of all bootcamps in the country and we are proud of the quality we have in our Pathway process and hiring network, for those who choose to follow it.

I wish that you had been able to capture one of the many opportunities presented to you through our early introductions and additional efforts. We’ve extended many resources to you beyond the program, including the personal contacts and calls I have made for you, and we continue to support our Tech Elevator alumni post-graduation, which is also evident in many other reviews.

I have deep respect for the commitments that our students make and their personal investment to improve the lives of both themselves and their families.  It’s an investment we take very seriously. If you would like further support, as I have offered privately in the past but will also offer again here, I welcome you to contact me personally.

- 5/13/2017
    Eric George • QA Analyst • Graduate

I graduated from the Java program in April 2017. I previously worked as a photojournalist, then freelance photography and graphic design before deciding that I needed to expand my skillset. I attended an open house at Tech Elevator and was immediately sold on the program.

The staff at Tech Elevator is what sets them apart from other coding bootcamps. Every member of the team is knowledgeable, supportive, and committed to your success. The Java instructor, Casey Borders, has years of experience and a teaching style that makes difficult concepts easy to understand while keeping lecture engaging and exciting. He was always available and happy to help.

The Pathway Program exceeded my expectations in every way. It provides a roadmap with resume writing and interview workshops, employer networking events, and both technical and behavioral interview practice. I owe the two job offers I got shortly after graduation to the Pathway Program.

I couldn't be happier with my experiences at Tech Elevator and would absolutely recommend them to anyone looking to start a new career in the tech field.

- 5/12/2017
    Joe O • Graduate

I couldn’t be happier with my experience. When considering other bootcamps, you might find framework-specific models that seem more advanced; learning Android development, for example. Tech Elevator’s focus on foundational concepts is what sets them apart. This way, students have an understanding of what the new technology is, but they also know how to work in the older technologies that businesses still rely on. I was pragmatic when deciding on Tech Elevator; some online-only bootcamps offer more advanced technology stacks, but I considered it more realistic to complete an in-person bootcamp. I’m incredibly happy with my experience.

I especially want to recognize my instructor, John Fulton, for his tireless work ethic throughout the cohort. Tech Elevator’s .NET curriculum is expansive, and you’d be hard-pressed to find somebody who could teach all of it. Since this was his first cohort, John had some serious learning to do. All of my doubts were eliminated after receiving John’s messages on nights and weekends. His innate curiosity drove him to follow up with answers to the smallest and most insignificant questions no matter how full his plate was. After teaching this cohort, I have no doubt that John will lead many more students to successful development careers.

I also want to acknowledge Tech Elevator’s Columbus career mentor, Katie Detore. Katie ended the bootcamp by giving all 28 students her personal cell phone number to ensure they stay in touch throughout the job search. The 98% job placement rate is no surprise after seeing how invested she is in each student’s career. Weeks after the bootcamp, I remain in touch with Katie, and she’s still invested in finding me my dream job.

Maybe I’m overly optimistic, but I couldn’t be happier with my experience.

• Corey Schnedl • Programmer/Analyst • Graduate

Tech Elevator is an exciting game changer for anyone looking to make the leap to get into software development.

Before attending Tech Elevator, I was struggling to make progress in teaching myself how to code. I tried things like Codeacademy, Udemy, and countless youtube tutorials, but was never able to get to the point where I felt confident applying to a job as a developer. I knew about the growing demand for people with programming skills, and wanted to bridge the gap as quickly as possible. After a ton of research, I applied to Tech Elevator, and looking back, I could not possibly be happier with my decision to enroll.

The instructors at Tech Elevator were all incredible. Having been through four years at Ohio State, I can still say that my Java instructor, Casey Borders, is without a doubt the most effective, brilliant, and inspirational teacher that I have ever had in my life. He is extremely dedicated to making sure that you are as prepared as you can possibly be for your first job as a software developer. He truly has a talent for taking incredibly complex material and breaking it down into lessons that everyone can understand. He gave me a very strong foundation in coding and the more importantly, the confidence to walk into job interviews and nail any technical exercises with ease.

Along with the intense formal technical training that Tech Elevator offered me, I made drastic improvments to my professionalization skills. Very important details about what specificially to put in a resume, how to build a linked-in page that catches employers' attentions, and how to prepare for interviews are just three of the many skills that Katie and Terry helped me perfect over the past 14 weeks. I had the opportunity to meet with over fifteen amazing companies and was able to build my network in ways that I would never had dreamed of doing by myself. As someone who really struggled to have confidence in stressful behavioral interviews before Tech Elevator, I can look back with a sense of pride when I see how far I've come, all thanks to the countless hours of hard work that Katie and Terry put in to doing practice interviews with me. I owe my success landing my exciting first job as a software developer so quickly to their hard work.

Tech Elevator blew my expectations out of the water. It is everything that a coding bootcamp should be and more. I would reccommend it to anyone who is excited about technology and is looking to make a career out of it.

• JP • Java Analyst • Graduate

If there is one thing that sets Tech Elevator apart from any other educational experience I have had it is the People.

And for me, the people that set Tech Elevator so far ahead of it's competition came in three forms:

1. The Instructors

2. The Staff

3. The Students

The Instructors - During my time at Tech Elevator I was given instruction by highly skilled professionals who took the time to meet with me individually, who helped me in areas where I was lacking understanding, and who pushed me to try to solve problems in different ways to develop new skills.  It wasn't just the my in classroom instructor who worked with me either, the classes are small enough that all the instructors at Tech Elevator knew who I was, the types of things I was working on, and could jump in to help when I had questions.  Working at Tech Elevator and helping students is what these instructors do and they were always available (even late at night) to look at something with you.

The Staff - The staff at Tech Elevator went beyond all my expectations for availablity.  From the CEO on down the people who worked there knew who I was, what I was working on, what companies I was interested in working for what, and were always willing to help.  There Career Services are second to none, they seem to know everyone. Furthermore, you simply can't ask for more than having a team that is wiling to pick up the phone to call personal contacts on your behalf to help you get an interview.

The Students - Unlike a lot of environment it never felt like I was in competition with my classmates.  Whether we were working on projects or individual assignments I knew I had a 15 other people I could turn to if I had questions.  The students in my class freely shared there notes and diagrams and worked together so that we all moved forward.  Additionally, I felt very confident in my decision to attend Tech Elevator, when I found out there where students attending their classes from as far away as Colorado and Texas.  While it may not be typical, I certainly liked that when I came in on a Saturday to do some reading or to complete an assignment I could expect to see at least a couple other students there working on various projects. I never felt alone in this journey, and it was really nice to be able to count on my classmates when I had questions.

I had a great experience at Tech Elevator.  I highly recommend the course, and at the very least you should look into the Tech Elevator program so you can use it as a measuring stick to see how other boot camps measure up. This experience is first class and it shows.

• Do it
    - 2/13/2017
    Nate Anderson • Database Developer • Student

Fantastic program.

I had been trying to become a developer for about 18 months before Tech Elevator landed in my back yard. While that helped contextualize what I was learning, it was by no means necessary. Several of the people in my class of 12 had never coded beyond a few things on Codecademy, and all 12 of us received offers.

Casey was a great instructor - able to dive deep into just about anything we asked him (and we asked a LOT of questions), but also up front when he didn't know something. He was caring, supportive, 100% engaged with the students, and went through the first few weeks with a nasty cold but still showing up every day ready to go. I did a practice interview with the current .NET instructor, and between the two instructors there is something like 40-50 years of experiences in the field.

While the technical instruction was great, from the first day of the program the focus was on getting that first job. Katie and Terry put in an incredible amount of work for us. Columbus was new for Tech Elevator, which meant potentially an uphill struggle for TE to get recognition and respect with area employers, but those two killed it. They both have a background in HR and recruiting, and not only did they know right people to talk to raise awareness for the program, they also were on hand to answer all our (my) slightly panicked questions. After many rounds of practice interviews, LinkedIn and resume reviews and personal branding workshops, I was able to walk into an interview feeling like if I wasn't hired it was the interviewee's fault. I got that much confidence in myself and what I had to offer.

Finally, I am working in Vermont. There was a tech conference here, during the program, and I flew out to attend. For anyone on the fence about TE, wondering if you'll be able to get a job outside Ohio, the answer is yes. While I wasn't able to utilize the network TE has built, the staff helped me navigate the long-distance job search.

Two final points: in my current job I'm using none of the technologies I learned at Tech Elevator, and the same is true for many of the others students. So don't worry too much about what your first language is. Finally, for anyone long hair and a beard - you don't have to shave to get a job! (I wish I had known that earlier)

- 1/9/2017
    Hilary • Applications Developer • Graduate

I quit my high school teaching job of nine years at the end of last school year to pursue a career in technology.  I was enrolled at Ohio State part-time but was not looking forward to a 2+ year process.  My mother heard the Tech Elevator ad on the radio and encouraged me to apply.  They had run several cohorts in Cleveland but this was the first one in Columbus.  I checked them out online and everything seemed legit - lots of positive reviews and students who landed real jobs.  I completed the online assessment and was invited in for an interview and second assessment.  I liked the staff members I met during the interview (on a Thursday), and was excited to find out I was accepted the following Tuesday.

The program is intense.  I have multiple graduate-level degrees and this was as challenging if not more than all of those programs (including law school).  The good news is that it's over quickly.  The bad news is that it's over quickly.  I loved everyone I met there - both staffers and fellow students, and once we got into the groove and got to know each other the 14 weeks flew by.  The Java instructor, Casey Borders, is amazing.  Patient and knowledgeable.  A true coding wizard!  You will be there from 9-4:30 most days.  If you're like me and aren't always the best about getting things done at home, you should probably stay until you get all of your homework finished.  Try not to fall behind as things can pile on quickly.  The reading may not seem as exciting as the coding but it will help you be a better programmer and pick up the language and vocabulary to be an effective communicator.

Around week 10 is the Matchmaking Event and this is where the job-hunting really picked up for me.  Before the event, we worked on our resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and interviewing skills through the Pathways component of the program.  Each student has 8-10 interviews back-to-back.  I was so nervous, but it was so helpful to be forced to get over the nervousness.  After the event, I received 5ish follow-ups from employers who attended and tons of promising feedback.  One of my second interviews was about 10-days after the event and I received a job offer about 3-4 days after that (a full 2 weeks before graduation).  It is at a large national bank and the pay was at the top end of my anticipated salary range.  Today was my first day of work and I'm excited for everything in store for the future.  And so thankful to Tech Elevator for their expertise and assistance getting my foot in the door.

• Java Developer
    - 12/16/2016
    Gabriel • Full-Stack Java Developer • Graduate

As someone changing careers, I felt the need for more formalized training in Web Development to get my skills and knowledge to a level that would enable me to land a job.  The curriculum at Tech Elevator was exactly what I was looking for.  With a thorough training in full-stack web development I learned all the fundamentals I would need to write a fully functional web application, and more importantly, have the skills to get a job.  Another key factor I was looking for was excellent teaching staff.  My instructor was everything I could have hoped for: knowledgeable, patient, experienced, and someone who loved teaching.  The career assistance at Tech Elevator was also incredible.  From major players like Chase and Huntington to smaller software development companies, there were plenty of connections made for us that made the job hunting experience much easier.  If you are someone who is thinking about a bootcamp, I cannot recommend Tech Elevator enough.  I am incredibly glad I did it.

• Great Success
    - 9/22/2016
    Dan • App Programmer • Graduate

Short Version:

If you want to pursue a career in software development/programming, Tech Elevator is a great place to help you reach that goal. It’s not cheap (no bootcamp really is) and it’s not easy (harder than any semester I experienced in university), but if you put in the effort, you will succeed. At the start of the course, I had very little technical experience.  By the end of the course I had 3 job offers. For the first time in my life, I was able to choose where I wanted to work. I didn’t just have to take whichever job was offered to me. Now I’m working for a great company and I have a career that has a lot of growth opportunity. I mentioned that the course is expensive, but my annual salary increased by more than the cost of the tuition.  Everyone’s situation is different, but chances are that it won’t take you very long to break even.

Long Version:

First off, I’ll tell you a little about myself (Skip to the next paragraph if you don’t care about me…it’s fine…I get it.) in hopes that you’ll see that you don’t need to be a computer whiz with a technical background to be successful in the bootcamp or to break into this career field. I took 2 years of Computer Aided Drafting courses in high school, so I was comfortable with technology but I didn’t know anything about programming. I went on to college where I earned a bachelor’s degree in business. After graduation, I spent a few years as a Transportation Manager. After doing the same thing for a while, I reached a point where I got the urge to learn something new, so I enrolled in a Web Development course at a community college. I really enjoyed it, so I started looking at ways to make a career out of it but all of the educational routes looked like they would take 2-4 years since I was a business major and didn’t have many of the pre-requisites. I didn’t have the time to start college all over. That’s when I learned about coding/programming/dev bootcamps. I’m from Cleveland, so I was really surprised when I found that there were multiple bootcamps in the area. I visited Tech Elevator and another bootcamp in the area and came to the conclusion that Tech Elevator was the best fit for me.  The deciding factors for me were the instructor and the focus on developing the soft skills needed to land a job (no matter how much I hated the soft skills…I knew that it was a weak point for me that I wanted/needed to work on).

Now let’s talk about the bootcamp.  First of all, I think it’s really important to visit a bootcamp in-person so you can actually meet the people that will be teaching you and guiding you through this change in your career and to see the space where you’re going to be learning. You’re going to spend a lot of time in this facility with these people. With that being said, I felt very fortunate to be taught by an instructor that was so knowledgeable and experienced (lookin’ at you David Wintrich). There was also great support from Josh, Craig, Terry, Andria, Anthony, and Carol. The facilities and equipment provided at the Cleveland campus were great and I’m sure that quality will be continued in Columbus.

The course itself was great. We would start the day with a quick quiz so that the instructor could get an idea of our grasp on the previous day’s material.  After reviewing the quiz, we would review anything else anybody had questions about, whether it was from the day before or 3 weeks ago. After reviewing, we would typically have lecture until lunch time.  After lunch we would have hands-on work for the rest of the day. Sometimes we would work on our own, but we usually had a partner and did a lot of pair-programming (“Pair programming” is a practice where two programmers sit next to each other and work on code.  The “driver” does the typing and the “navigator” watches over the code as it’s typed.  The two programmers bounce ideas off of each other and they frequently switch roles.) Along with the hands-on work, you’ll often be assigned reading. Sometimes you’ll finish your work by 4:30 or 5:00pm, but you should really expect to put in more hours at night and on the weekends. The course was broken up into “modules” that were a few weeks long. After each module, we would complete a “mini-capstone” project where we would have a chance to build a small application that would encompass the material from that module and any previous modules.  This was a good build up to the final capstone project which we got to work on for the final 2 weeks of the course before presenting them to our peers and families at the graduation ceremony.

I went to what I consider to be an academically strong university before I attended Tech Elevator. I’m not saying that to toot my own horn, but rather I want to give a baseline to others who have already attended a university. This program required more time and effort than any semester I ever experienced during my undergrad studies. They say that this program is like “drinking from a fire hose”.  Sometimes it’s going to make you feel like you got hit by the fire truck after you’ve had your little drink. If you’re like me, you’re going to be uncomfortable, but it really is a good test of mental toughness. It shows you how much you can really do when you push yourself to the limit.

A great benefit of the program was all of the career assistance that was provided.  Each week we had an employer come in to speak to us about their company and we frequently had guest speakers talking to us about topics ranging from LinkedIn profiles to emotional intelligence. The biggest benefit to me was the technical interview practice and the Employer Matchmaking event. The technical interview practice starts with a mock technical interview with one of the instructors and then moves on to a mock technical interview with a volunteer from a local tech company. The reason this was so great for me is that I felt like I flopped on this mock interview, but it was ok cause you’re being given a safe place to fail and the person interviewing you will give you a lot of feedback. After that practice interview, I pretty much knew what I needed to focus on and I felt so much more comfortable. I know that it helped me because I had nothing but positive feedback from all of my real technical interviews. The Employer Matchmaking event was a day where 20+ employers came in and held 30-minute interviews all day. I had 9 one-on-one interviews in a day and while it was kind of scary at first, I had a lot of fun and ultimately met my future employer (we’re doing great, thanks for asking).

Here’s the part you are probably most concerned about… I ended up with 3 job offers (2 before the bootcamp even ended).  I actually had to end the interview process with another company and I had pretty much stopped applying for jobs after I received my first offer (I’m not suggesting you do the same, I’m just saying I wasn’t struggling to find people that wanted to give me a shot). One of my offers came from a company outside of Tech Elevator’s hiring network and the company wasn’t even aware of the bootcamp, so I think that’s a pretty good indicator that I was equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to land a job. Another interesting point is that although I was in the Java cohort, I ended up taking a C#/.NET job.  So you’re going to learn the language for the course you enroll in, but that won’t necessarily pigeon hole you into that language because you’re going to learn the principles of Object Oriented Programming and you’re going to “learn how to learn” programming languages. You’re not just buying a fast-pass to a job though…you’re going to have to put a lot of blood, sweat, and coffee into this.

I realize this is a lot of information and that some of it might sound intimidating, but if you put in the work and you really WANT to do this, everything will be just fine.

My Advice:

Do everything. Read every page you’re assigned to read. Complete every project. Keep up with the work… you don’t want to fall behind. When you get stuck on something, set a limit for how long you will spin your wheels before asking for help. You’ll learn a lot by trying to figure out problems on your own, but there’s no point in spending 4 hours on one little problem. Take advantage of being surrounded by really smart people. Stick around or meet up after class with classmates to do work together. Do your own work, then compare with your classmate and talk to them about how/why they solved the problem the way they did. Give yourself some time to relax. The class material is important, but kicking ass on the ping pong table is also important. Enjoy the experience, because you probably won’t ever do anything like this again!

• Chris Andrikanich • Web Developer • Graduate

Fourteen weeks of intense instruction at Tech Elevator led me to a great opportunity as a web developer in the industry. After 18 years, this was a risky move on my part, but to gain a marketable skill that allowed me to pivot into a new industry, it was the right one.

The experience David Wintrich brings to his instruction, along with an experienced staff, and a space that fosters collaboration and learning, for those who choose to venture through this boot camp, the tools for success are available and present.

The boot camp model isn't easy. But, Tech Elevator is structured for each student to get out of the program, what you put into it.

If you trust the process, focus, work hard, ask questions, and work together, then Tech Elevator will help you gain that marketable skill that will get you a great job in the industry.

You can read more about my story here: https://www.coursereport.com/blog/alumni-spotlight-chris-andrikanich-of-tech-elevator

• Carl • Software Developer • Graduate

Over the several years I worked as a scientist for a large corporation, I grew increasingly dissatisfied with my job, largely because I was doing more administrative work than problem solving.  After beginning to learn a little programming on my own, I read about Tech Elevator in the newspaper and attended an open house; I then talked with alumni and spoke with people in the tech industry about Tech Elevator.  I decided that a Tech Elevator bootcamp would be an economical, pragmatic way to learn an in-demand skill and find a fulfilling career.

My classmates came from a variety of backgrounds, levels of education, and professional experience; Tech Elevator is designed to meet anyone with the aptitude and desire to become a programmer where they are and help them succeed.  The instructors break down technical concepts into essential components that can be easily digested by all.  Daily quizzes, daily coding exercises, and frequent one-on-one check-ins help the instructors quickly identify if the class as a whole or an individual student is understanding the material.  If you need additional help, a roaming instructor is available for study sessions.  The curriculum builds upon itself, so each project gives you a chance to practice and solidify previous topics.  The instructors, all of whom are accomplished software developers, are respectful, passionate about mentoring, enthusiastic about their craft, and available to answer questions at nearly all hours of the day or night.

The other half of Tech Elevator is the Pathway Program, which consists of soft skills development and career coaching; I think this program really sets Tech Elevator apart from other bootcamps.  The Pathway Program helps you craft the narrative about why you want to get into software development and what transferrable skills your past experiences give you; with this narrative in hand, the Pathway Program takes you through a series of workshops that help you write your resume, build your digital presence (e.g. LinkedIn), practice interviewing (both technical and non-technical interviews), and make meaningful connections with industry insiders.  Several workshops focused on the soft skills that are valued in the tech industry; while technical skills are important, good communication and team dynamics are just as valuable.  The Matchmaking event, when dozens of employers come in to interview students, is a highlight of the program; I had several follow-up interviews that resulted from this event and ultimately accepted a job offer from a company I “met” through Matchmaking.

The bootcamp is challenging but rewarding - you will get out what you put in.  I learned a new technical skill set, improved my soft skills, expanded my professional network, and even made some good friends along the way.  I started at my new company a week after finishing at Tech Elevator and am now several weeks into my new career; I can attest that Tech Elevator prepared me well and I hit the ground running.  I encourage you to explore Tech Elevator as your next step!

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here