tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Charlotte, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator offers a full-time, 14-week coding bootcamp that prepares students for a career as a software developer. Prospective students can choose to study Java or .NET. Bootcamp students also learn HTML, CSS, SQL, API, and JavaScript. The bootcamp runs Monday through Friday, 9-4:30pm, and has a low student-to-instructor ratio to ensure the best support environment for participants.

Tech Elevator’s career-readiness Pathway Program is responsible for high placement outcomes and includes personalized coaching sessions, interview practice, 6 months of placement support post-graduation, and alumni and mentor networking. Tech Elevator also offers its students and alumni direct connections to employers through employer showcases and interviewing events.

Tech Elevator’s instruction is typically delivered both remotely and in-person at campuses located in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Charlotte, Detroit, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Tech Elevator also offers students beyond its core markets, and throughout North America, class options through its National Live Remote program.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (268) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (42) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationPhiladelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    January 11, 2021 - Cincinnati Apply by December 28, 2020
  • Java Coding Bootcamp - Remote

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date October 26, 2020
    LocationOnline, Charlotte, Detroit, Chicago
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    October 26, 2020 - Charlotte Apply by October 12, 2020
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, .NET, ASP.NET, CSS, MVC, SQL, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    January 11, 2021 - Columbus Apply by December 28, 2020
    January 11, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by December 28, 2020
    May 10, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by April 26, 2021
    May 10, 2021 - Columbus Apply by April 26, 2021
  • Zeb Larson  User Photo
    Zeb Larson • Software Development Engineer in Test • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Tech Elevator is worth every penny. I came to this with a very unusual background (I was a university lecturer and a freelance writer) and was worried that I wouldn't be cut out for it because I'd been away from math for so long. I couldn't have been more wrong. The level of instruction is incredible, and the support I got from the instructors helped me overcome some of my early fears about whether or not I could handle the work. The professional development is equally important, perhaps moreso, and it did not disappoint. I had more instruction and support in a summer at Tech Elevator than I had in all of college and graduate school combined. Yes, it's a fair amount of work: you will be run pretty ragged for fourteen weeks. Yes, it's scary to transition from what you know to what you don't, especially when you're always taking in a lot of new information. But I also grew a lot as a person by tackling the unknown, and when it was all over, I got a job in a new career I'm happy with. If you're unhappy with your current career track and this work sounds interesting to you, it's worth taking the plunge.
  • Dan Fries  User Photo
    Dan Fries • Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the .NET/C# program at Tech Elevator in the winter cohort at the Cleveland campus. Attending the boot camp was one of the best experiences of my life I met so many awesome people and had a great time developing my coding skills. Unfortunately my particular cohort was happening right in the middle of the covid pandemic so while we started in person we had to finish the boot camp remotely. Despite the change in plans things still went really well and the team at Tech Elevator did a great job making sure the transition to remote learning went smoothly.

After graduation the Pathway team did a great job with sharing job opportunities and getting my resume out there as well as setting up numerous interviews and special events to help with the job search. Unfortunately, it took a little bit longer than I would have liked to land an offer but again this was due to the covid situation and companies slowing or freezing hiring. After a couple months and life beginning to return to normal again I landed a great offer with a great company near the top end of our expected salary outcomes with great benefits. I am looking forward to starting my new career as a software developer and if you are looking to do the same I strongly recommend you check out Tech Elevator to help you get started.
  • Charlie Peterson  User Photo
    Charlie Peterson • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Tech Elevator was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The curriculum covers everything you will need to know to get into your first role as a software developer, and the instructors do a great job at managing the pace and helping you if you get behind or if you're just stuck. The staff are fantastic people who go out of their way to both teach necessary networking skills, as well as resume building, LinkedIn layouts, elevator pitches, and more. The employer showcase is a great experience that allows you to both learn more about employers in the area, and also get your name and face to them through a very friendly interview.
  • Yes, Do It
    - 8/11/2020
    Alyssa Hernandez  User Photo
    Alyssa Hernandez • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Career Differences
    Yes, going to Tech Elevator is absolutely one of the best things you can do for your career. A year ago I moved to Philly and I was applying for writing jobs with salaries around $30-45k. Most were closer to $30k, similar to the $28k I was making before moving here. Exactly one week after graduation, I accepted an offer at a global company tripling what I was making before from a company I met at matchmaking. Aside from finally being able to afford paying off college debt, I actually do something for a living that I love. I'm nine weeks into my job as a software engineer and the relaxed environment still baffles me, especially compared to previous positions where I spent all day on the phone. I mean, I'm able to listen to music or an audiobook while I work; I always have help when I need it; I'm encouraged to spend time at work learning new things outside of my day-to-day responsibilities (like using Pluralsight); there are so many opportunities to attend random events that I'm interested in throughout the week (PRIDE meetups, AI meetups, etc); and I could go on and on. I started virtually, of course, but when asking others about the office culture, I was told my team takes ping-pong breaks, works on puzzles together, brings in food for each other (all pre-covid). Comparing it to a traditional office job... it's still hard to wrap my head around. I enjoy working and coding for hours because my employer wants employees to be happy at work - who knew enjoying going to work was a thing?

The People
    Some of my best friends were made at Tech Elevator, starting from week one. Throughout the program, there are many pair programming assignments, and you always work with someone new, so it's easy to get to know everyone. With assignments that can take hours and capstone projects that take days, you really become close friends with people. I know things are virtual right now, but the in-person campus was my favorite thing. There were so many nights where I went on a mini-lockdown with friends, staying up very late trying to finish assignments, playing games, enjoying food the staff would bring in for us, etc. My cohort did things like going out to lunch, grabbing drinks, going to karaoke, going to a museum, playing games together, etc etc etc. As for the staff - they were absolutely wonderful. The instructors were extremely accessible, especially when we went virtual halfway through the program. They both had a lot of experience in the field and were such great teachers overall. I gathered other students for a group project (highly recommend doing a group project if you want to stand out to employers!) and they spent hours and hours helping us with it, even though it was completely outside of the curriculum.

The Career / Pathway Program
    One of the reasons I chose TE over other bootcamps was how impressive the career services were in the reviews and statistics I read. Other bootcamps in Philly mentioned career prep help, but I can't imagine it was anything even close to what TE offers, especially after reading reviews on Reddit about Philly bootcamps. Imagine having someone push you for 2-3 days out of every week to get yourself together and prepare for a job, starting from day one. I remember thinking, "Why are we starting so early? We have nothing to prepare with??" Yeah, it was necessary to start that early. The coursework picks up so quickly and 14 weeks seems like a lot of time to prepare for a job, but you need that long if you want to prepare the right way. I remember giving my first elevator pitch for an employer visit or talk and my social anxiety was the worst. I almost forgot my name. The idea of matchmaking later on in the program--meeting a handful of employers in only two days--was terrifying, but when it came time for that, I felt really prepared and confident in my abilities and hey, it worked! Those rounds of mock behavioral and tech interviews, the resume reviews, the elevator pitch practice sessions, the employer advice events--I mean, we had everything we needed to succeed. Even with those, Caitie, the pathway director, was absolutely one of the biggest reasons I was able to land a job within a week of graduation. She makes sure you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, and that you're doing it right. She's obviously an expert in what she does, and I knew when I met her for my Tech Elevator interview that she is truly in this position because it makes her happy. I still keep in touch with her occasionally :) Despite the economy completely crashing and most employers closing their hiring doors, at Tech Elevator... it almost seemed to not make a difference. Some employers backed out of matchmaking, yet most (all? I haven't checked in with other students lately...) found jobs fairly quickly, most through the companies we met through the program.

Coursework
    I'm still wondering how I was able to learn so much, so quickly, AND be qualified for a software engineer position with only 14 weeks' worth of experience. A lot of my computer science friends from college who graduated around the same time as the bootcamp ended are still searching for jobs, and they have years of experience over me. In talking to my coworkers, it seems like the ability to learn so quickly is more attractive in a candidate than how much you know. Of course, you still have to put in the work to show them how much you can learn in a short time. The first few weeks were spent learning basic programming principles and intro to java stuff--the need-to-know material. Seriously though, make sure you're reviewing these basic concepts every week because you there's a 100% chance they will come up in an interview. We moved on to some database stuff, which was pretty interesting and necessary to learn if you move to a full-stack position. After that, we moved onto servers and web stuff. Ah, the good stuff. My one critique, now that I'm out and about in the real world, is that what we learned at the time was fairly outdated compared to working applications. It was a weird transition going from Spring MVC to regular Spring Boot. The course also teaches Vue.js, which I also learned isn't as popular. I don't think I saw it in more than one job posting. Despite learning tools that weren't directly applicable to a lot of jobs, I still learned the fundamentals of how databases and web frameworks work. Plus, interviewers were genuinely interested in hearing about technologies they've never used, which contributed to a nice conversation. Regardless, as I mentioned, what's more important is that you're able to learn the given material and apply it, because that's what's going to happen on the job anyway.

Going Remote for Covid-19
    Honestly, going remote was a very smooth transition. The first few days were kind of weird to adjust to, but that was mostly because it was so sudden. I think it was a Sunday afternoon when I got an email that said we're going remote the following day? IIRC the staff found out pretty last minute too, but even with that, I really enjoyed virtual classrooms. It was much easier to pair program when you're screen sharing, and it's easier to work together from home/remotely when you don't have to worry about catching a trolley or train on time etc. The difference in learning environments was mainly that our instructor had to screen share instead of writing on a whiteboard, but the quality of teaching/learning didn’t change.

Compared to Other Philly Bootcamps
    I didn't look too heavily into other bootcamps--maybe three or four--but I noticed many of them aggressively try to sell you into their program. They seemed to care more about making money off of their students, rather than educating them. With Tech Elevator, they only accept students who they think will do well in the program. They want to make sure you have what it takes. After comparing curriculums between a few local bootcamps with the help of my friends who are software engineers, Tech Elevator definitely outranks the others in that realm. I will note that Tech Elevator did not once reach out to me by phone or email with promotional material, unlike the daily phone calls and emails I received from other bootcamps. Anyway, it's clear Tech Elevator doesn't have to have a sales department to push people to apply and spend thousands of dollars. Students don't need to be pushed to apply to Tech Elevator; it's the clear choice.

Conclusion
    If you like coding, and want to do what you love for a living, then do this. The curriculum gives you the knowledge you need to impress employers on your skills, but the Pathway Program is designed to help you tackle your individual professional weaknesses and highlight your strengths. If you put in the work, you will succeed.
  • Mason Crum  User Photo
    Mason Crum • Application support analyst • Verified via LinkedIn
    Going remote was seamless and easy. Career services actually WANT to help you find a job. Doubled my income in the matter of four months. Life changing experience!
  • :)
    - 7/6/2020
    Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This review is from the perspective of someone who graduated from TE Pittsburgh over a year ago and loves her job.
    My background involved absolutely zero coding experience, as I graduated from Pitt and then worked in mental health for about 8 years. I was burnt out, and was lost about how to get out. My brother is a developer and I like to make sure that I can do whatever he can do, which is what planted the seed in my head to learn to code. I didn't even have a real interest in tech but I knew I needed to change my life's trajectory. I heard about Tech Elevator on the radio and just like everyone else, began looking for evidence of scams or horror stories about bad experiences. There wasn't any. Figured this was good news. I talked to a friend about it who connected me with someone who graduated from an Ohio campus, which helped quiet the feelings of impending doom as well.  I didn't fully trust course report because when I interviewed, Pittsburgh was brand new. Course report's reviews were all from the Ohio campuses. I was worried about the instructors and the quality of a new campus. BUT, I did it anyway.  Took the test, interviewed with Justin, and was accepted. I was in the Java class and all of the instructors were helpful and knowledgeable. You learn all the necessary basics of coding during the first week or two, so if you have no experience, it really sets you up with a solid foundation for the future modules. We had a bit of an instructor change mid way through, and the new hire was a welcome and fresh perspective on the tech world. Gotta admit, I second-guessed myself every step of the way. I compared myself to my crazy smart friends in the program and wasn't sure I had what it takes. I think this is common. But, leaning on peers (and educators) and offering support in return really helps to ease the anxiety surrounding the course.  The Pittsburgh campus has a rooftop deck, which I highly recommend you make use of to both decompress and work.
    The other part of the boot camp is called the Pathway Program. This is where you learn to be super profesh and build important skills to land you a job. It could be daunting at times and if you hate public speaking (like me) this will force you to get over that. You craft an elevator pitch which you then repeat in front of all of your peers and various company reps weekly. Often, multiple times a week. Matchmaking was incredibly important in building confidence in your interviewing skills. They will probably tell you at times to get some experience outside of the program, like attending meetups, in order to work on networking skills and appear well-rounded in your interviews. I never landed a job with any matchmakers (although I did get second interviews). Surprisingly, what did end up getting me 3 promising interviews and a job was networking with employees of various companies at WIT meetups. So, I heavily suggest if you attend TE that you work on networking, especially if you are an anxious and awkward interviewee and do better in a less formal setting. Like me. Pittsburgh has a lot of meetups and I'm sure they have converted them into Zoom meetings in the age of Covid.  And as a side note, even if you don't have previous coding experience, TE prepares you well enough that you can learn Java at TE but then immediately switch to C# upon landing a job. So don't let that make you shy away from a job offer should that be the case.
    Now, a year in, I can safely say this was the best decision I could have made for myself in terms of career and growth. I work at a small start-up where I am the only developer (aside from my coworker-boss, who focuses mostly on business these days). This job seemed incredibly daunting at the start, but now it is incredibly daunting. However, I love what I do, the product that I get to help create, and all the various roles one plays at a tiny start-up. It pushes me to keep working on being a better developer and have confidence in myself.  I was lucky to get a job where I get to work as a full stack developer, so most of the things I learned during boot camp come in quite handy.
    If you are on the fence, just do it already.
  • .NET Student
    - 6/22/2020
    Madi  User Photo
    Madi • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall a great experience. I made lifelong friends, not just in other students but in the staff members as well. The instructors are incredibly knowledgable and amazing at sharing that knowledge. A job is not guaranteed once you graduate but they have some of the best placement numbers around. I obtained my current position through the matchmaking process, which is probably the distinguishing factor for Tech Elevator versus other bootcamps and very valuable as a new member of the tech field. I highly suggest the .NET course; John Fulton is hands down the best teacher I've ever had the honor of learning from and Matt Eland is on his way to be of the same caliber. I went from never looking at a single line of code to being a functional full stack developer in the span of a few months. It was exactly what I was looking for in a career change.
  • Chido Ezeilo  User Photo
    Chido Ezeilo • Software Developer • Verified via LinkedIn
    There are few cases in life when certain things you think too good to be true ,actually turn out to be that good. Tech Elevator is definitely one of those rare ones. Hind sights 20/20 and looking back, i realize what a unique and great opportunity it was. Have no illusions about the hard work it would demands, but the instructors and career coaches are nothing short of amazing, encouraging and very very competent. You will struggle to catch your breath but its ok, because bootcamps are designed to keep in your boots 24/7. I cant recommend tech elevator enough after my experience.
  • Brian   User Photo
    Brian • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     Tech Elevator is split into 2 parts. 1 part teaches you to program, and the other part teachers you how to get a job. The programming part is broken down into 4 modules with a capstone after each module. There are 2 classes c# and Java. You will be in one of the 2. I was in c#. The 4 parts for me were broken down by in the first module c# programming language in depth, and finish up with object oriented program, and learning how to design programs. The second module is learning to use databases,  third module is learning to front end development, API's, and MVC, and the 4th module is learning javascript with vue as a component based language. The day to day starts with a 3 hour class lecture, followed by a lunch break, and the individual or pair programming exercises for that day. At night there are daily readings that cover the materials that you will go over for the next day.
    The job search is what gets you put into a job. Here they teach you to interview, make and use Linkedin, construct a resume, as well as a elevator pitch. The program has a match making event where you interview with companies looking to hire the students of the cohort. Most of the cohort receives an offer from this event, or a company that is part of this event. The programs hiring network is what makes the program so strong, because you have over 90% chance of landing a job. After your cohort ends Tech Elevator has events that involve alumni that want to participate, and is always good networking. The job searching, and interviewing skills you learn in Tech Elevator will help you the rest of your career. I was very prepared going into my first programming job out of this program. I would recommend this  program to anyone that has a Tech Elevator in there area, and is interested in a Tech career.
  • Irna Tin  User Photo
    Irna Tin • Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have been looking how to get into the software engineering field from my dead-end career in real estate for about 2 years. Tried online courses, videos, even went to NYC for one week JavaScript Fundamentals class and didn’t like the vibe of that school. Got back to Pittsburgh, keep working in real estate, and one day in July had a really tough day at work and started looking for local bootcamps. Found out about Tech Elevator, read reviews, took aptitude test, scheduled interview with Justin (campus director), passed both interview and another aptitude test, and in July of 2019 I knew I was going to start in January 2020. I had doubts but decided to take a leap of faith and believed it would work out if I were to give it all I had.

Tech Elevator staff made my heart melt on Day 1. They treat you like family, pull you out of your comfort zone for your own sake, and make you do what they know is the best for you. All you have to do is to trust them and work hard. The campus atmosphere is unbelievable. Somehow people you see for the first time in your life, become your friends very quickly. We worked hard and pretty much spent most of our time together, usually coding and drinking coffee/eating.

COVID-19 happened when we were 3/4 down the program. We were worried and exhausted.  Everyone (our instructors, our Pathway Directors, Campus Director, Admissions Coordinator, teaching fellow) was there for us at all hours. We had to switch to remote learning and kept pushing. By the graduation day most of people from my cohort had offers in their pockets. We still were able to get a job meanwhile other people had to face difficulties during the pandemic. The only thing I sometimes think about is why I didn’t get there earlier but that’s a different story.

This was by far the best educational experience I personally have had and I’m very grateful for that!
  • Devin Beichner  User Photo
    Devin Beichner • Software Developer with PNC • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Tech elevator was an excellent place to learn a new skill. The instructors are extremely knowledge and are able to convey coding concepts in a way that makes sense to anyone. The Pathfinder program really brings it up a notch by prepping you for the job hunt and helping you to land your first big role
  • Overcoming Fears
    - 6/17/2020
    Bill N  User Photo
    Bill N • Jr Software Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Let me start this review by stating I had no coding background before TE. I was a philosophy major in college and never finished my degree. Devastated by my inability to finish I became a career nomad. I tried several different industries including car sales, hospitality, low level management, retail, and real estate. I found myself at a dead end with every move, my income ceiling was a lot lower than expected and any hope for advancement came with a four year degree. I first heard about TE through an acquaintance who had finished a philosophy degree and was now a full stack dev for a local consulting firm. I simply brushed it off as something I could never do. Weeks passed and the daily grind continued. I came home one day to my room mate exclaiming he had been accepted to TE. I got the thought "man maybe I should do this". I was completely terrified, I knew nothing about hardware or software, no more than playing Civ IV and League of Legends. I took a complete risk, and it really paid off. I had no idea if this was something I could do. I was worried about not finishing like college, or not being able to grasp the concepts. I had my interview and to my surprise I was accepted. I still was unsure of myself and struggled through the pre-work. Fast forward to my first couple of weeks and I am really at a loss. I struggled and I struggled hard. Every day was spent putting in the work and listening to every detail the Pathway program presented. Tom A my instructor challenged me to think, he challenged me to overcome my fears of failure. At the start of Module 3 COVID hit. We were disbanded from our normal brick and mortar classroom and moved to Zoom classes. My fear kicked back in. Now the worry was getting a job during the start of a global pandemic. Ellen and Jennifer reassured me that if I trusted the process and did my best everything would be okay. I put my fears aside and trusted the people at TE. I was offered a position before graduation. I have been working in the field a couple months now and couldn't be happier. TE gave me the skill set to work in the tech field but it also gave me a true framework for overcoming those fears of the unknown, failure, and rejection. I still have my moments as we all do. The stat's prove this process at TE works, follow logic and not emotion. I went from a low level real estate position to being a Jr Software Dev with nothing but a chance. TE really did change my quality of life. If you are considering applying, just do it. Set aside those negative thoughts and take the chance.

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here