tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator offers a full-time, 14-week coding bootcamp that prepares students for a career as a software developer. Prospective students can choose to study Java or .NET. Bootcamp students also learn HTML, CSS, SQL, API, and JavaScript. The bootcamp runs Monday through Friday, 9-4:30pm, and has a low student-to-instructor ratio to ensure the best support environment for participants.

Tech Elevator’s career-readiness Pathway Program is responsible for high placement outcomes and includes personalized coaching sessions, interview practice, 6 months of placement support post-graduation, and alumni and mentor networking. Tech Elevator also offers its students and alumni direct connections to employers through employer showcases and interviewing events.

Tech Elevator’s instruction is typically delivered both remotely and in-person at campuses located in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Charlotte, Detroit, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Tech Elevator also offers students beyond its core markets, and throughout North America, class options through its National Live Remote program.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (279) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (44) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationPhiladelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    January 11, 2021 - Philadelphia Apply by December 28, 2020
  • Java Coding Bootcamp - Remote

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date March 1, 2021
    LocationOnline, Charlotte, Detroit, Chicago
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    March 1, 2021 - Online Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Charlotte Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Detroit Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Chicago Apply by February 15, 2021
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, .NET, ASP.NET, CSS, MVC, SQL, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    January 11, 2021 - Columbus Apply by December 28, 2020
    January 11, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by December 28, 2020
    May 10, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by April 26, 2021
    May 10, 2021 - Columbus Apply by April 26, 2021
  • Chris Karaplis • Web Developer • Graduate

Going to Tech Elevator was the best decision I've ever made. Starting off I was told "You get out what you put in.", and while that's true, 14 weeks is not a long time to dedicate to elevating your future. The boot camp is stressful, difficult, and exhausting, but it wouldn't be so rewarding if it wasn't. Everyone on campus is amazing, and will do everything they can to assist in reaching your goals. That being said, don't come in expecting them to just get you a job. You need to put the time and work in. It's hard work, but so worth it! Before Tech Elevator, I was working multiple jobs just to make ends meet, but through their matchmaking I secured a great job before I even graduated. I recommend this boot camp to anyone who is looking to get into the tech industry. I tried learning this on my own through udemy, freecodecamp, etc, but the instructors at Tech Elevator helped make it so much easier to learn.

Between the instructors, and the Pathway Program, I believe anyone who is motivated to go through this program will be successful. They teach you everything you need to know from the technical side of things to improving your soft skills. On top of everything I learned, I've made some friendships that will likely last a lifetime. I have nothing bad to say about this program, and if you're looking to go into a coding bootcamp I can't stress enough how great Tech Elevator is.

TLDR: Tech Elevator is an amazing opportunity for anyone willing to put the work in. Their staff cares about every single student, and will do whatever they can to help you reach your career goals. If you're looking to elevate your life, and get into the tech industry, there is no better option than Tech Elevator.

• Jonathan Taaffe • Software Developer II • Graduate

I recently graduated from Cohort [0] in Pittsburgh and I do not believe that I am exaggerating when I say that the Tech Elevator program is absolutely superb!  I had worked in IT for most of my professional career, but I found that my skill set was very outdated and after a hiatus from the industry I decided to attend the TE program as a means of retooling my skillset.  Due to my past experience, I had a perspective that was a little different than the average student.  I already knew what the IT world was like and therefore I had a better idea of what to expect when I showed up for the first day of class.  As a result, I was able to really appreciate the immense value of all of the various components that had been skillfully organized into the curriculum.  Both the technical instructors and career counselors (a.k.a. Pathway Program counselors) were highly skilled, very fun and deeply dedicated.  The two-pronged approach that Tech Elevator employs to both teach the technical skills and then to guide individuals into appropriate job opportunities is a distinguishing characteristic that, in my opinion, really separates them from their competitors.  All in all, the overall experience was wonderful and the end result has been nothing short of life changing.  I would highly, highly recommend TE to anyone who is seriously considering a career in IT but who needs some help getting there.

• Matt • Software Developer • Graduate

Short version: Definitely worth it for me personally. I went from making teenage wages in the sevice industry to landing a software developer job. Plus, It only took 14-weeks of 50-60+ hour weeks to do it. Which was a ton of  work but realistically not a ton of actual time (14-weeks < 4-years for a degree). As people like to say "life changing".  So if you can carve out 14-weeks for Tech Elevator I would say go for it. Mind you, my experience may not be yours.

background: I had an Associates degree before Tech Elevator and had worked as a production/graphic designer for the better part of a decade before Tech Elevator. I moved to Pittsburgh and was unable to find work in my previous industry and fell back on the world of food service to keep myself afloat.

Instructors: Tom and Andrew were both really great. Both have many years of real world programming know-how under their belts and their areas of expertise were very complimentary of each other. They were a very well-balanced tag-team. The Hawk and Animal of the bootcamp world. Even now I can hear Tom's dulcet tones explaining "for each loops" and "ternary operators" to the class. Andrew's tech/computer-science asides are great if you want to learn more about the theory behind what you are learning in class and come in very handy during job interviews.

Pathway Program/Office: This is what made me decide to go to Tech Elevator. Caitie (the pathway program head) and Justin (Pittsburgh's Campus Director) open doors to future employers that you could never do on your own. I can't emphasize this enough. They do an amazing job of preparing you for the job market and giving you the connections to actually get a job. Listen to what they have to say and then do it. Also Marissa was a great help during the admission process as well as during the duration of the cohort.

To Students: Do what Caitie says. Ask questions when you are confused about anything. Don't quit when things seem very overwhelming. Take a break. Keep asking questions. Help out other Students, it'll help you learn too. Do what Caitie says.

Summary: I got a software Developer job 2-weeks after graduation (most of my cohort had offers before the end of the cohort) so Tech Elevator definitely worked for me.

*caveat emptor: This isn't a knock on Tech Elevator per se but some companies want Bachelor Degrees regardless of their relevance to a job listing, so If you don't have a Bachelor's Degree you're out of luck. So if you are only armed with a High School Diploma or an Associates some doors even the pathway program can't open.

• Brittanie Duncan • Software Engineer • Graduate

I was in a very unhappy place teaching third grade. I wanted out and Tech Elevator was the way. I learned about it though my husband who heard about it through work. We agreed to send me after much thought and discussion. Everyone I met Ben, Katie, kalyn, and Laura were all very nice and played a major part in why I chose to make this big move. I loved all of the instructors. They all worked around the clock to help in any way you needed. I learn best through watching, doing, and one on one teaching. I learned so many things that I have already used in my new job. Trying to teach myself online would have never worked.

The Pathway Program was in my opinion almost more valuable than the course work. The pathway team was fantastic they were always there to help. I had to the opportunity to meet so many great people. There are many opportunities you just need to take advantage of them. It was through these events that I made a connection with ended up in a job. I know some people I talked to don’t feel this way. It is all about what you put into the program. You will only get out what you put in. I went above and beyond to make sure I had a job in the end.

Now I have my dream job at JPMChase! I am happier than I have ever been. I owe it all to my hard work and Tech Elevator for helping me get there!

• Jeff Gill • Java Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated August 2018 from the Java Cohort and i can’t say enough good things. Going in, I thought I knew more about coding than I actually did, so the program was very tough. And I also thought I was on-point with my resume and interview skills, which needed some help. The course feeds you info like a firehouse so was very challenging, but the instructors and staff are always willing to give you extra help and guidance after class or nights and weekends through the messaging app. If you put in the work, you will earn that reward. I learned everything i needed to get me started in a career as a Software Engineer, but I learned so much more about myself as a person. There were times that I felt I wouldn’t get to the finish line, but with help and encouragement from everyone (including classmates), I dug deep and stuck it out. The staff does a great job to get you there, but soft-skills aren’t spoon-fed. You have to work hard and figure some stuff out no your own and that makes it that much more rewarding. I’ve never done anything so difficult and I’ve never had any career experience more fulfilling. If you want to change your career, you can do that at Tech Elecator, but you will elevate your life in the process. Go for it.

• Andrew Clark • Full Stack Web Engineer • Graduate

I recently graduated from Tech Elevator (Columbus) and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I’ve recently accepted a position as a Full Stack Web Engineer and for the first time I am going into a new career with confidence and one I am excited to experience. I always felt in my past experience in Operations Management that I wasn’t realizing my potential and not enjoying what I did as much as I could, and Tech Elevator has made it possible to achieve these things. I’ve had a lot of teachers and mentors over the years through my experience at OSU and in the business world, but everyone at Tech Elevator is the cream of the crop. The instructors I had in the program not only were able to deliver instruction that was concise and make difficult concepts easy to understand, but were also willing to spend time with you one on one at any point to help you realize a fuller understanding of the material. I expected their pathway program to help me gain some more confidence going into interviews, however one thing I did not expect was that it would give me more confidence in a multitude of aspects of my life. I also can’t say enough about how the networking of the program with business needs in our region helped in landing me a job. It was a somewhat excruciating process interviewing with 10 companies over 2 days, but it was one of the best experiences I could imagine when entering a new field. I have never been surrounded by people in my life that are as dedicated to developing talent to meet demand in a market as those at Tech Elevator. If you’re considering going to Tech Elevator, talk to Katie, John, or any of the staff for 5 minutes and I guarantee you will see how passionate they are about helping people realize their potential and you’ll sign up just like I did.

• Mike Weiss • Web Application Developer • Graduate

Last year I was stuck in a dead-end job, working in hospitality as a waiter in a little family restaurant. I was at a point where I was ready to dedicate myself to a career but I felt like I simply didn’t have the right piece of paper to get started working in a field that interested me. I had always loved tech and I wanted a job where I would be able to apply myself mentally but I felt like the only way to do that was to go massively in debt, going back to college to pursue a degree in a new field. Luckily, I wasn’t the only person who realized that there was a significant subsect of society that was underemployed but willing to put in the work to make something of themselves if they were given a chance.

Tech Elevator was the opportunity I didn’t know was out there but I was waiting for the whole time. From the industry professionals that are there way too late every day to stick around and answer your questions to the whole staff of the Pathway Program that also work way too late every day to help you build your resume and polish your interviewing skills, and of course all of the administrators who do the most important job of keeping the lights on and the pretzel bowls filled, the entire staff is dedicated to the single goal of helping you succeed in a challenging and rewarding industry.

But the final piece of the puzzle is you. You will have to work very hard to learn concepts they teach, and you will stay up late every night for 3 months creating some amazing projects and struggling with your peers to learn some difficult concepts. But, if you are willing to put in the time to learn how to code, you will have taken the first step to an extremely rewarding and fulfilling career with some of the best people you will ever meet.

I guess to sum up, all of this is to say if you are willing to put in the work, you have found a place that’s willing to work right alongside you and will be at least as excited as you are when you succeed.

• Great experience
    - 8/26/2018
    Jerrad S Christian • Graduate

I had zero experience in IT before joining Tech Elevator.  The instructors are attentive, professional and a pleasure to work with.  After class was over, the pathway team didn’t stop until every student was gainfully employed. I wholly recommend this program to those motivated to start a new career and dedicated enough to go for it.

• Risk worth taking!
    - 8/22/2018
    Christopher Niederkofler • Entry Level Business Analyst • Graduate

Do yourself a favor. Enroll. Start learning basic concepts before you start the cohort. Get your brain blasted by the firehose of information for 14 weeks. Learn how to market yourself. Start your life changing career in tech.

Seriously though, just do it. I cannot say enough about what Tech Elevator has done for me and my family. It was a huge risk for me, kind of all or nothing for what my situation was. I’m a Dad with two little kids, and college wasn’t working out with my life situation and my need to support other humans financially. I jumped in the deep end, learned to swim, and came out a better person, gainfully employed at a great company with the ability to support my family.

• Brandon • Software Engineer • Graduate

Tech Elevator is the best decision I ever made.  I went from a dead-end industry to within two weeks of graduating from Tech Elevator making a salary 2.5x as much as I was making.

Everyone at Tech Elevator cares a lot about you, the instructors are incredible.  I'm convinced Brian never sleeps.  He'd be up until well past 11 answering questions in our chatroom, and be back in the morning to answer the dozens of questions I had come up with by then.  He even helped to walk me through a technical problem I had which was only tangentially related to class.  He was also seemingly unstumpable.  The longest he spent stumped by a question of mine was forty five minutes.

Running parallel to the coding instruction is the Pathway program, and here is where they stand out against the competition.  They spend many weeks preparing you to find a job; you learn interview skills, networking advice, and most importantly: They connect you with recruiters from dozens of companies face to face so that people get to know you.

One warning: it is intense.  Tech Elevator is 14 weeks in which time has no meaning.  You can't really focus on too many other things during the time and you get what you put into the program.  Those that stay late and work hard (in both the coding and pathway events) are the others that have jobs immediately after the cohort is done (and some before it's over.)

I highly recommend it for anyone who thinks they're interested in coding.  It gets your foot into the door of a wonderful industry.

• Tim • Software Associate • Graduate

When I graduated from Tech Elevator, I decided to wait and see how things turned out before writing this review.

I'm now eleven months post graduation, and here's where I'm at:  I've doubled my previous income, I have enviable benefits, and, for the first time in my life, I absolutely love what I do.  I get to code and solve puzzles every single day with a bunch of really smart people. On Sundays nights I no longer dread coming into work on Monday morning.  That's huge.

Admittedly, when our Tech Elevator cohort began, I was worried I wouldn't make it through.  In my early 40s, I was one of the oldest students in my class. I didn't know if I could keep up academically or on the job hunt.  However, on both fronts, my previous work and life experience ended up playing to my advantage.

Tech Elevator's program is challenging yet methodical, and they do an excellent job nurturing both coding skills the soft skills like elevator pitches and interviewing.  (And, whether you realize it or not, you're going to need those soft skills.)

Tech Elevator helped bridged the gap between where I was and where I wanted to be in a way I couldn't have done on my own.  I can't recommend it highly enough

• Ben McGrath • Developer • Graduate

Fans of retro video games or kids who grew up in the 80s (like me), should recoginize this headline as one of the opening scenes from The Legend of Zelda, where the hero Link is given his first sword before embarking on a wildly dangerous journey into unknown lands. Along the way Link's equipment is upgraded to include better swords, shields, bombs, boomerangs, bow and arrows, magic and potions. In the same way, a new Developer will start their programming journey with a limited tool belt. If you are seriously considering a career change into the tech field, please heed the advice we learned from our chunky pixelated 8-bit hero... Don't go alone. Go to Tech Elevator.

My education and experience prior to TE was in the construction industry where I've held titles such as Field Engineer, Purchasing Manager, and Project Manager. I began learning to code in my free time and made a few simple websites with HTML and CSS but when it came to creating dynamic, interactive web applications with JavaScript I hit a wall. This intro to development led me to two major conclusions, coding is hard, and it is especially difficult when you try to learn alone.

I had kicked around the idea of a bootcamp for some time before getting serious about the decision.  My initial impression was I would have to go somewhere like New York, Chicago, or San Francisco to attend a "serious" dev bootcamp. I was excited to find a local program called Tech Elevator through a Google search, but my excitement was matched by a healthy level of skepticism. From the beginning I was more than impressed by Tech Elevator, the curriculum, and especially the talented, hard working people. I was lucky enough to have my entrance interview with CEO Anthony Hughes and it was the passion he displayed that sealed my decision to join the program. That same passion is shared by the instructors, the Pathway Program leaders, and all members of the organization.

The curriculum is designed to take you from zero coding experiene to job ready in 14 weeks. This is a monumental undertaking that will push you to your intellectual limits. The Pathway Program is an invalable addition to your technical skills that will boost your potential and interview techniques. You will work in close contact with dedicated career enhancing professionals, and leverage their relationships with local employers.

Currently I am working as an Apprentice Developer with an agile software development firm in Cincinnati.  I can say with confidence this opportunity would not have been available to me without the education and guidance I received from Tech Elevator. I enjoy the work I'm doing, and I'm thrilled to continue learning from some very talented individuals that love what they do. As an added benefit I've made some life-long friends in my fellow alumni and the good people of Tech Elevator.

If you are at all interested in a career in technology, or maybe you've been struggling in secret trying to learn on your own, my advice would be to go to an open house, ask questions, and see for yourself. This has been without a doubt the best experience of my career.

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here