suncoast-developers-guild-academy-logo

Suncoast Developers Guild Academy

Tampa

Suncoast Developers Guild Academy

Suncoast Developers Guild Academy offers a 3-month, full-time, full stack web development bootcamp, along with 6-week part-time courses in web development basics, UX design, digital marketing, and React in St. Petersburg, Florida. Students in the full-time bootcamp will learn client-side, front end technologies like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as well as server-side back end technologies like .NET or Ruby on Rails. At the end of the course, the aim is that students will be able to create fully functional websites backed by databases and server-side applications.

Through an informal interview process, Academy at Suncoast Developers Guild assesses technology-oriented interests, career goals, motivation, and problem-solving skills when evaluating an applicant’s success in the coding bootcamp. Academy at Suncoast Developers is open to all levels of experience, the interview process has been built to help ensure each applicant will have the chance to be successful during the program and after. Students must be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.

Bootcamp students receive career services guidance including mentoring and coaching on interview techniques, decoding technical job descriptions, resume writing workshops, and portfolio building. The program also includes guest lectures from community leaders on topics that add to and enhance the core program content. At the end of each cohort, Academy at Suncoast Developers Guild hosts a demo day where potential employers and community leaders are invited to see firsthand the skills and work done by recent graduates.

Recent Suncoast Developers Guild Academy Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (28) reviews for Suncoast Developers Guild Academy →

Recent Suncoast Developers Guild Academy News

Read all (5) articles about Suncoast Developers Guild Academy →
  • Full-time Web Development Program

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Algorithms, C#, Data Structures, Front End, Git, .NET, Rails, React.js, Ruby, SQL
    LocationTampa
    Students will learn client-side (front-end) technology: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as well as server-side (back-end) technology such as .NET or Ruby on Rails.
    Available through SkillsFund
    Refund / GuaranteeOur refund policy can be found in our catalog: https://suncoast.io/catalog.pdf
    Scholarshiphttps://suncoast.io/academy/diversity
    Minimum Skill LevelOpen to all levels of experience, students must be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
  • Part-Time React I: Building Interactive Websites

React.js
    LocationTampa
    Get up and running with React, one of the most popular JavaScript libraries for building powerful interactive web applications. Students should have prior experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Implement a simple React App Explain how to use state and props Implement a SPA using react Utilize, using React, APIs to build data-driven websites Create a React SPA website and deploy it to the internet Utilize React to manipulate HTML and CSS
    Refund / Guarantee100% refund of the fee if a student withdraws before the first class. 50% refund of the fee if the student withdraws after the first week of class but before the fourth week. Suncoast Developers Guild is not responsible for missed classes
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents should have prior experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
  • Part-Time User Experience (UX) for Non-Designers

User Experience Design
    LocationTampa
    Over the course of six weeks, students learn the theory and practice behind User Experience (UX) design through a series of lectures, sharing of professional examples, interactive team activities, and individual assignments. With a focus on solving problems creatively and systematically by putting your users and their needs first, students will utilize User Experience (UX) and User-Interface (UI) techniques and methodologies to develop a product or service of their choosing. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Understand and articulate the differences, similarities, and overlap between User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) design. Utilize the design thinking process and UX/UI toolsets to solve problems. Work with cross-functional teams to create solutions. Communicate ideas, and give/receive direct feedback to facilitate ideation. Prototype and test using a variety of UX research methodologies.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo minimum experience required
  • Part-Time Web Development Test Drive

CSS, HTML, JavaScript
    LocationTampa
    Throughout this six-week course, students learn the basics of front-end web development. Students will learn the basic practices, fundamentals, and ideas behind creating dynamic websites with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. With a focus on applied knowledge, students will get hands-on training using HTML to create semantic page structures, CSS to implement modern designs, and JavaScript to make the pages dynamic and interactive. This course can also be utilized as a preview to the immersive 12-week program, giving students new to development exposure to what the full-time course would feel like and a great introduction to being a developer. The fee for this introductory course can be applied directly to the tuition of our immersive Web Development Program. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Explain the basic developer workflow Implement semantic HTML to structure a webpage's content Implement CSS to style and layout a webpage's presentation Implement JavaScript to manipulate and HTML webpage's behavior Solve simple problems with JavaScript Utilize, using JavaScript, APIs to build data driven websites Create a website and deploy it to the internet
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is geared towards students that have little to no experience in development.
  • Dylan Attal • Graduate

I just graduated from SDG last weekend. I am so grateful to have been part of the program. I decided to make a career change into web development coming from a completely non-technical background. I got on Codecademy and FreeCodeCamp and began teaching myself to code. It was great, but the progress was slow-going and I knew it'd be hard to get a foot in the door somewhere without a strong portfolio of work. I stumbled across SDG online. I wasn't familiar with coding bootcamps, and it seemed too good to be true, so I attended meetups in St. Pete and met alumni of the program who are now happily employed as web developers. I highly encourage you to do this due diligence if you're interested in the program. Go visit the campus. Go meet the staff. Go talk to alumni of the program. Once I saw how dedicated the staff are to the success of the students and how successful (and happy) alumni were post-graduation, I knew that SDG was for real.

Have realistic expectations going into the program. You will have to drop *everything* for three months while you are a student there. You will be putting in between 80 and 100 hours of work each week. But if you make the sacrifices necessary, you can really suceed through the program.

SDG is there for you. Not only do you have amazingly talented instructors, but you also receive a ton of career support. The career support really sets SDG apart from other coding bootcamps. We had mock interviews with a local company. We toured a local company and met developers on their team. We were strongly encouraged to attend local meetups in order to truly become part of the larger Tampa Bay tech community. SDG molds you into a web development professional.

I genuinely feel lucky that I was able to participate in the program. I cannot speak directly to employment prospects post-graduation since I finished just days ago, but I can say that I feel very confident that I'll be able to land a good job within a month or two. I can't imagine going through this career change without SDG.

• John Flynn • Student

When I learned about Suncoast Developer's Guild I was a bit skeptical. They seemed like an unknown quantity without a lot of reviews. After attending their first demo day I learned about their high placement rates and had the opportunity to talk to students and the staff. I brought my wife and we were both very impressed. 40% of the class was already placed on demo day and the students had glowing reviews on what they had learned and were optimistic about their future. I decided to give them a shot and I'm very glad that I did not go with another code school here in Florida. One of the big advantages at SDG is that they teach C# .NET and Ruby on Rails which are both in serious demand here in Tampa.

The staff genuinely cares about your well-being and they teach work life balance. They encourage you to push yourself and it is a very rigorous education (I spend about 70 hours a week coding, some do more some do less) but they don't have hard deadlines so as long as you get the work done you are free to take some time away which is very important for your mental state. The instructors all have an immense amount of experience coding (between the three instructors they are getting close to 100 years combined) and they have tons of experience teaching at the Iron Yard (the staff is made up from former Iron Yard instructors who ran the most successful branch of that school). I am confident that I have a bright future in coding and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here (although it can be very stressful at times). I encourage anyone with a passion for coding to check out SDG, it is the best investment in my future that I have ever made.

• Chris Packett • Software Developer • Student

The team, the timing, the product, the experience--everything at the Suncoast Developer's Guild was spot on.

Toni, Jason, Gavin, Mark, Katherine, Lauren, Kento, and the team are undoubtedly the most creative, passionate, and agile team I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Simply walking into the Suncoast Developer's Guild gives the urgency to stay forever, and learn as much as you can from all of the other talented individuals that step into that building.

There is no better timing for a not-for-profit code school, the only one in Florida may I add, than now. The greater Tampa bay area has been in need of this type of program for a long time, and it has finally come to fruition.

I attended the academy in July-October and found it to be the most pivotal experience in my life. I am currently working at an amazing company, doing what I love everyday--building software. I would do it over again, and I recommend any one that is thinking about doing the program--do it, you won't regret it.

• Great experience!
    - 7/28/2019
    Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

Overall I had a really good experience at SDG. The instructors and staff were all very caring and supportive and my cohort became like a family. It was a great environment to learn with a welcoming and positive atmosphere.

If considering enrolling at SDG I HIGHLY recommend doing the prework! Be prepared to dedicate the majority of your time to the program and be 100% committed. You will learn at an extremely fast pace. Having a good support system in place is also very important, as it can get emotionally draining at times. It isn’t easy, but very rewarding!