suncoast-developers-guild-academy-logo

Suncoast Developers Guild Academy

Tampa

Suncoast Developers Guild Academy

Suncoast Developers Guild Academy offers a 3-month, full-time, full stack web development bootcamp, along with 6-week part-time courses in web development basics, UX design, digital marketing, and React in St. Petersburg, Florida. Students in the full-time bootcamp will learn client-side, front end technologies like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as well as server-side back end technologies like .NET or Ruby on Rails. At the end of the course, the aim is that students will be able to create fully functional websites backed by databases and server-side applications.

Through an informal interview process, Academy at Suncoast Developers Guild assesses technology-oriented interests, career goals, motivation, and problem-solving skills when evaluating an applicant’s success in the coding bootcamp. Academy at Suncoast Developers is open to all levels of experience, the interview process has been built to help ensure each applicant will have the chance to be successful during the program and after. Students must be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.

Bootcamp students receive career services guidance including mentoring and coaching on interview techniques, decoding technical job descriptions, resume writing workshops, and portfolio building. The program also includes guest lectures from community leaders on topics that add to and enhance the core program content. At the end of each cohort, Academy at Suncoast Developers Guild hosts a demo day where potential employers and community leaders are invited to see firsthand the skills and work done by recent graduates.

Recent Suncoast Developers Guild Academy Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (28) reviews for Suncoast Developers Guild Academy →

Recent Suncoast Developers Guild Academy News

Read all (5) articles about Suncoast Developers Guild Academy →
  • Full-time Web Development Program

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Algorithms, C#, Data Structures, Front End, Git, .NET, Rails, React.js, Ruby, SQL
    LocationTampa
    Students will learn client-side (front-end) technology: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as well as server-side (back-end) technology such as .NET or Ruby on Rails.
    Available through SkillsFund
    Refund / GuaranteeOur refund policy can be found in our catalog: https://suncoast.io/catalog.pdf
    Scholarshiphttps://suncoast.io/academy/diversity
    Minimum Skill LevelOpen to all levels of experience, students must be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
  • Part-Time React I: Building Interactive Websites

React.js
    LocationTampa
    Get up and running with React, one of the most popular JavaScript libraries for building powerful interactive web applications. Students should have prior experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Implement a simple React App Explain how to use state and props Implement a SPA using react Utilize, using React, APIs to build data-driven websites Create a React SPA website and deploy it to the internet Utilize React to manipulate HTML and CSS
    Refund / Guarantee100% refund of the fee if a student withdraws before the first class. 50% refund of the fee if the student withdraws after the first week of class but before the fourth week. Suncoast Developers Guild is not responsible for missed classes
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents should have prior experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
  • Part-Time User Experience (UX) for Non-Designers

User Experience Design
    LocationTampa
    Over the course of six weeks, students learn the theory and practice behind User Experience (UX) design through a series of lectures, sharing of professional examples, interactive team activities, and individual assignments. With a focus on solving problems creatively and systematically by putting your users and their needs first, students will utilize User Experience (UX) and User-Interface (UI) techniques and methodologies to develop a product or service of their choosing. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Understand and articulate the differences, similarities, and overlap between User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) design. Utilize the design thinking process and UX/UI toolsets to solve problems. Work with cross-functional teams to create solutions. Communicate ideas, and give/receive direct feedback to facilitate ideation. Prototype and test using a variety of UX research methodologies.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo minimum experience required
  • Part-Time Web Development Test Drive

CSS, HTML, JavaScript
    LocationTampa
    Throughout this six-week course, students learn the basics of front-end web development. Students will learn the basic practices, fundamentals, and ideas behind creating dynamic websites with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. With a focus on applied knowledge, students will get hands-on training using HTML to create semantic page structures, CSS to implement modern designs, and JavaScript to make the pages dynamic and interactive. This course can also be utilized as a preview to the immersive 12-week program, giving students new to development exposure to what the full-time course would feel like and a great introduction to being a developer. The fee for this introductory course can be applied directly to the tuition of our immersive Web Development Program. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Explain the basic developer workflow Implement semantic HTML to structure a webpage's content Implement CSS to style and layout a webpage's presentation Implement JavaScript to manipulate and HTML webpage's behavior Solve simple problems with JavaScript Utilize, using JavaScript, APIs to build data driven websites Create a website and deploy it to the internet
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is geared towards students that have little to no experience in development.
  • Dino Ribeiro  User Photo
    Dino Ribeiro • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I first learned about SDG from my brother, who had graduated from the Iron Yard a couple of years ago. I knew very little about coding coming into Cohort X and I can say that I truly learned a whole lot. The overall experience was good but it's also a very fast paced program and at times I felt like there was no light at the end of the tunnel.

Mark Dewey was our main instructor and he was just awesome from day 1. Over the course of the 12 weeks I know I asked a lot of dumb questions along the way and Mark patiently answered all of them in a professional manner. I can’t express how grateful I am in having Mark teach us React.

Jason Perry was my instructor for Ruby on Rails. Jason is such an experienced coder that I don’t think once I asked him a question in which he didn’t know the answer for.

On Friday we have career support with Toni and Katherine. They are both excellent in helping out setting up LinkedIn account, resumes and cover letters.  In addition, they are also involved in the community and always hosting different Meetups.

Overall I would recommend anyone who’s interested in learning how to solve problems and code.  All the people involved at SDG are extremely helpful.

• Justin Oliver Lee  User Photo
    Justin Oliver Lee • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came to Suncoast Developers Guild without any coding experience, and very little knowledge of what was to come. In the begining the work was easy, but that didn't last very long. The course work was definitely full of challenges, but the instructors, like Gavin, were always there to guide us throught it.

The career support from Toni and Katherine was also instrumental in preparing everyone there for what comes after the program is over. If you enjoy being challenged and solving puzzles, I highly recomend talking to Suncoast Developers Guild about their program.

• A++ Bootcamp
    - 12/3/2018
    Jeff  User Photo
    Jeff • Student Verified via GitHub

Before attending Suncoast Developers Guild I had no coding experience. After graduating, I feel I have a great foundation to begin as a programmer. It is an immersive Bootcamp, you will be pushed to your limits. SDG has instructors that are very knowledgeable and enjoy teaching, they go above and beyond to help you succeed. Every Friday someone from career services will also help you brand yourself, they will give you the tools you need to find a job.

If I had it all to do again I would take some pre-courses in JavaScript just to get a better understanding of the syntax and logic, which were the two things I struggled with.

I would recommend SDG to anyone wanting to go to any Bootcamp. The course is very intense and will take up all of your free time for the entire 12 weeks. Don't take it lightly and do all the pre-work they assign before starting.

Happy Coding and Good Luck!!

• Jason Rocha  User Photo
    Jason Rocha • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The staff at SDG was a definite highlight for me.  Toni, Mark, Jason, Gavin, Katherine and co. are so attentive to the students that any apprehension, code-related or not can be quickly put at ease thanks to their support.  I can honestly say that while the cirriculum they have crafted has stuck with me and helped me achieve success throughout my cohort, it could easily fall apart in less capable hands.  Diving head-first into a new field can be terrifying, but the instructors will do everything in their power to make the transition as enjoyable and smooth as possible.  Mark Dewey may very well be the best instructor I've had throughout my 8 years of high school/college.  The facility, the care from the staff and their well-crafted lesson plans all made the experience sublime for my fellow graduates and I.  With the inclusion of post-grad career support, Toni and the staff have ensured that their students always have a place to work and a support system that is so critical and so rare to have guaranteed at this early in the students' career paths.  I am very grateful for the time and care that everyone at SDG provided me during my time learning there.  I cannot recommend the school enough for anybody who is interested in learning to code.  All of their concerns will be calmed by this extraordinary team of educators.

• Life Changing
    - 2/7/2020
    Rick Anthony Ortiz • Web Developer • Graduate
    I enrolled in SDG with a background in healthcare billing and almost no programming experience. I was always hesitant about pulling the trigger on a bootcamp before; even though I loved tech and everything related to it for some reason I just thought that I wouldn’t be able to make it professionally in this fast paced industry. Around the time of my 29th birthday I stopped wondering what would be possible and I decided take action and just go for it. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life.

Firstly, understand that Suncoast Developers Guild is more than just a Code Bootcamp. As the name implies, it is a GUILD; an association of people for mutual aid or the pursuit of a common goal. That common goal is turning you into a full-stack developer in 12 weeks and there are none better suited to take on that task than the staff at SDG. I couldn’t have asked for a more knowledgable, friendly and supportive group of people to to help me attain my goals and that extends to my classmates as well. You form bonds in this course, you make connections with people all struggling to kickstart their careers and learn new technologies.

And struggle you will! Don’t be fooled by the relatively short duration of the course. You are getting a top notch education which will require to really focus and work hard to grasp all of the material they throw your way, fortunately the staff are excellent and always there to help with anything that you need, and the collaborative learning environment really helps you get over some of those hurdles you’re bound to encounter.

On top of all of that the career support was phenomenal. I never had a LinkedIn profile before but SDG taught me how to market myself as a professional developer and gave me the skills I needed to network and land myself a role as a web developer. Now, I have my dream job working in an industry that I love which was previously inconceivable to me. I still can’t believe how much my life has changed in such a short period of time.

In summary, if you’ve been thinking about getting into tech and were on the fence like me, don’t be. I promise the grass is greener on this side. Suncoast Developers Guild is the best code school in the Tampa Bay Area and is more than worth the price of admission.
  • Jackson T Ford • Web Developer • Graduate

Through out the 12 week course, I have learned how to develop full stack application. The staff is top quality, and very knowledgable. I feel confident coming out the course with the support that the staff has given me to start a new career in the field of technology. If you are considering a new career in technology, I would definitely look at Suncoast Developers Guild.

• Cohort 15
    - 1/10/2020
    Tristan

Suncoast Developers Guild changed my life. As a student fresh out of highschool with a passion for technology and learning it is a game changer to be able to go through this course and hop into the tech industry without having to make myself go in debt by going through 4 years of college. I am so thankful for my amazing teachers Mark and Jason who allowed me to open my mind and think in code in order to push myself and succeed in this challenging but rewarding environment. Not only am I thankful for my teacher but also for the other staff members who feel more like family than anything. Katherine Trammel who never hesitates to try to help us in any way she can because she genuinely cares about her students. Kento Kawakami who was always a helpful friend and someone who could make me laugh and help me relieve stress or get me focused. Last but not least Lauren Mabra, the marketing director who became a good friend and inspiration. She truly is the definition of the grind as she is always working on something new and making sure her presence is well known and spoken for. I am always thankful for her advice and wisdom she gives me. My fellow graduates and I have developed a deep sense of comradery and still hangout and meetup as much as we can because they have become family aswell. I highly highly recommend Suncoast to anyone who is on the fence. MAKE THE LEAP!

• Hector • Junior Developer • Student

I have been working in the same career for over 15 years and wanted a change in my life. The problem was that I felt that maybe it was too late in my life to make such a drastic career move. I knew as a kid, programming was something I have always wanted to learn but was too afraid to try.  Nine months ago, I got laid off because of the company that I was working for downsized, and that same day I decided to enroll at the Suncoast Guild. Enrolling to Suncoast was one of the best decisions that I have ever made for myself.

The staff treated me like family, and the teachers were there to guide me whenever I felt lost in class.  Not only does Suncoast prepare you for what the workforce demands of junior developers today, but they also teach you advance coding that puts you in front of the line when it comes to job placement.  One of my favorite parts of Suncoast was the field trips to IT companies. It allowed us to see how developers worked, and the IT companies also helped with mocked interviews for students.  This is a testimony of how IT companies here in St Peterburg, Florida, support The Suncoast Guild. I am proud to say that I am a working Junior Developer now, and it was all because of how Suncoast Guild prepared me.

• LIFE CHANGING!!!
    - 8/8/2019
    Tatyanna • QA Engineer • Graduate

I literally cannot stress enough how much this bootcamp has changed my life for the better. Prior to SDG I tried BLOC (2015. Wasn't a great experience) and Launch Code (2018. Great for beginners but did not place most of the class and it did not teach enough to get most of us hired).

The team is supportive throughout the process. Both in class and post graduation. I could always talk with Katherine or one of the staff members to get tips or direction. I would recommend SDG to ANYONE who is looking to change careers into tech. I went through the course thinking I would get a job as a developer but I found my true calling as a QA engineer. It allows me to continue developing and use my organizational/detail skills.

• Shantell • Digital Marketing Strategist • Graduate

What sets Suncoast Developers Guild Academy apart from other code camps is the program's willingness and ability to adapt to each cohort's learning style and pace. I found this particularly helpful in moments of struggle, and I know my classmates did as well. You are only as advanced as your most behind peer.

We made an effort to keep each other afloat during a very intense, fast-paced learning environment. The faculty care--really care--about the well-being and future of their students. You can see this as far up as the top with the school's president, Toni Warren, to each member of their community. When we say, SDG Family, we mean it. I felt like a member of the family before I enrolled because that's the vibe.

You will often find alumni working remotely from the campus, and they are generous to help if you're stuck on a concept or a code line in your project. What's more, people are smart but remain humble and humorous. The projects are unique, challenging and engaging. Mark Dewey, the main instructor, is nominated for the best web developer in Tampa Bay 2019 because he's that good.

Katherine Tremmel works all hours to get you employed. Fridays are dedicated to job skills, networking, and setting yourself up for success. Plus, Friday's are half-days arranged for afternoon socials.

SDG was a great experience. An experience that keeps going long after one receives her certificate as a full-stack web developer.

• Silvana Rojas • Graduate

Suncoast Developers Guild has a positive environment, a diversity cohort, an incredible staff, and attentive teachers. The Full-Stack web development program was a wonderful experience with successful results. However, it was not easy. You should study and do the pre-work as much as possible before the program begins. Every day you will be challenged with warm-ups and homework and will work nights and weekends if you want to get effective results. If you follow the instructions of the Suncoast Developers Guild staff, you will have a high probability of entering the world of development.​ ​

• vzmon1 • Graduate

Unlike most of the other students at the Suncoast Developers Guild Academy, I had some exposure to programming concepts and the IT industry in general. Having secured a BS in programming did little to prepare me to secure a position as a programmer in the industry. Looking to improve my employment chances, I had the good fortune to stumbled upon the SDG Academy.

Although I had some reservations due to the cost and time commitment, I jumped all in, and never regretted it. The Instructor (Mark), I had was extremely knowledgeable, patient and understanding. I'm sure that our questions were the same ones he has heard for the umpteenth time, but he never hesitated to answer them in a calm professional manner. The curriculum path I took included the most current and sought-after technologies, React, Vue, Javascript, HTML 5, CSS3, C#. Patiently he taught us Padawans the way of the programmer. Which is be self-sufficient, research, try and ask questions intelligently.

But the Suncoast Developer Guild Academy goes beyond just teaching you how to program. They also help to introduce you to the local programming community. The field trips to the various companies start to give you a sense of a programmer’s life. They host various Meetups, which further helps you connect with other developers in the area. Their Career Services helps you understand what employers are looking for and how to make your presence known to them.

As many have noted, there is a great time commitment requirement. My day started at the school at 07:30 AM and ended at about 10:30 PM, M-F. On the weekend I would put in an additional 10 hours. It was a heavy schedule but rewarding one. Others put in more time. I’m not trying to scare anyone off, but you do get what you put into it.

Because of the high pace of the program, I would recommend the following before attending the class:

• Learn the basic programming concepts:
      • Variables
      • Abstractions
      • Parameters
      • Arrays
      • List
      • Operators (Relational, logical, Conditional)
      • IDE
      • SQL

You don’t need an in depth understanding, just enough that it doesn’t slow you down.

• Take an entry level online course. This will give you a taste of some of the concepts, as well as prepare you for programming
    • Use OneNote (or any note take app) in class to help you understand and organize the volume of technical information you will be exposed to

The Suncoast Developer’s Guild Academy is not the end, but the beginning of your next phase of life, it was for me.  I secured a position as a application support staff member. I have my hands in Oracle, system support, Powershell, SQL, C#, and anything else that they can throw my way.

On behalf of the other SDG cohort graduates and myself, best of luck on your programming journey…. Never stop programming