suncoast-developers-guild-academy-logo

Suncoast Developers Guild Academy

Suncoast Developers Guild Academy

Suncoast Developers Guild Academy offers a 3-month, full-time, full stack web development bootcamp, along with 6-week part-time courses in web development basics, UX design, digital marketing, and React in St. Petersburg, Florida. Students in the full-time bootcamp will learn client-side, front end technologies like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as well as server-side back end technologies like .NET or Ruby on Rails. At the end of the course, the aim is that students will be able to create fully functional websites backed by databases and server-side applications.

Through an informal interview process, Academy at Suncoast Developers Guild assesses technology-oriented interests, career goals, motivation, and problem-solving skills when evaluating an applicant’s success in the coding bootcamp. Academy at Suncoast Developers is open to all levels of experience, the interview process has been built to help ensure each applicant will have the chance to be successful during the program and after. Students must be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.

Bootcamp students receive career services guidance including mentoring and coaching on interview techniques, decoding technical job descriptions, resume writing workshops, and portfolio building. The program also includes guest lectures from community leaders on topics that add to and enhance the core program content. At the end of each cohort, Academy at Suncoast Developers Guild hosts a demo day where potential employers and community leaders are invited to see firsthand the skills and work done by recent graduates.

Recent Suncoast Developers Guild Academy Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (17) reviews for Suncoast Developers Guild Academy →

Recent Suncoast Developers Guild Academy News

Read all (4) articles about Suncoast Developers Guild Academy →
  • Full-time Web Development Program

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, SQL, Rails, CSS, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Front End, Ruby
    Tampa
    Students will learn client-side (front-end) technology: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as well as server-side (back-end) technology such as .NET or Ruby on Rails.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Our refund policy can be found in our catalog: https://suncoast.io/catalog.pdf
    Open to all levels of experience, students must be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
  • Part-Time Digital Marketing

Digital Marketing
    Tampa
    From content strategy and social media to paid campaigns and analytics, learn digital-marketing tactics to increase engagement, drive growth, and acquire users. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Acquire: Learn how paid, organic, search-engine, and content marketing helps you reach a target audience. Convert: Discover the art of using landing pages to transform interested prospects into customers. Retain: Apply email-marketing and social media techniques to engage users and get repeated interaction. Measure: Optimize campaign performance with analytics and KPIs, and learn to utilize metrics to draft budgets and drive improvements to your marketing.
    Refund / Guarantee
    100% refund of the fee if a student withdraws before the first class. 50% refund of the fee if the student withdraws after the first week of class but before the fourth week. Suncoast Developers Guild is not responsible for missed classes
    No minimum skill required
  • Part-Time React I: Building Interactive Websites

React.js
    Tampa
    Get up and running with React, one of the most popular JavaScript libraries for building powerful interactive web applications. Students should have prior experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Implement a simple React App Explain how to use state and props Implement a SPA using react Utilize, using React, APIs to build data-driven websites Create a React SPA website and deploy it to the internet Utilize React to manipulate HTML and CSS
    Refund / Guarantee
    Students should have prior experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
  • Part-Time User Experience (UX) for Non-Designers

User Experience Design
    Tampa
    Over the course of six weeks, students learn the theory and practice behind User Experience (UX) design through a series of lectures, sharing of professional examples, interactive team activities, and individual assignments. With a focus on solving problems creatively and systematically by putting your users and their needs first, students will utilize User Experience (UX) and User-Interface (UI) techniques and methodologies to develop a product or service of their choosing. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Understand and articulate the differences, similarities, and overlap between User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) design. Utilize the design thinking process and UX/UI toolsets to solve problems. Work with cross-functional teams to create solutions. Communicate ideas, and give/receive direct feedback to facilitate ideation. Prototype and test using a variety of UX research methodologies.
    No minimum experience required
  • Part-Time Web Development Test Drive

HTML, JavaScript, CSS
    Tampa
    Throughout this six-week course, students learn the basics of front-end web development. Students will learn the basic practices, fundamentals, and ideas behind creating dynamic websites with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. With a focus on applied knowledge, students will get hands-on training using HTML to create semantic page structures, CSS to implement modern designs, and JavaScript to make the pages dynamic and interactive. This course can also be utilized as a preview to the immersive 12-week program, giving students new to development exposure to what the full-time course would feel like and a great introduction to being a developer. The fee for this introductory course can be applied directly to the tuition of our immersive Web Development Program. By the end of the course, students should be able to: Explain the basic developer workflow Implement semantic HTML to structure a webpage's content Implement CSS to style and layout a webpage's presentation Implement JavaScript to manipulate and HTML webpage's behavior Solve simple problems with JavaScript Utilize, using JavaScript, APIs to build data driven websites Create a website and deploy it to the internet
    Refund / Guarantee
    This course is geared towards students that have little to no experience in development.

• Aaron Harvey  User Photo
    Aaron Harvey • Quality Assurance Automation Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

In 2015 I wanted to learn how to program. I am 100% satisfied with how my career has gone since I enrolled and took a leap of faith. I have kept in touch with many of the students I graduated with and we have all progressed beyond my expectations. If you are on the fence I can tell you that this program will really help to change your future. I really wouldn't be where I am at today without this program. Thank you!

• Career Changer
    - 5/24/2019
    Frank Diaz  User Photo
    Frank Diaz • Software Developer I • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Great experience with great results. However, it isn't easy. Far from it!. Study and do as much pre-work as possible before the course begins.  You'll be working nights and weekends in addition to the program if you want to be effective. You'll have to dedicate your life to this so be sure to be sure. Get ready to learn at a blinding pace and be challenged. If you follow the SDG team's instructions you will have a high probability of entering the world of development. This program is 100% recommended if you are 100% dedicated.

• Gabe Oleinik  User Photo
    Gabe Oleinik • Graduate Verified via GitHub

From the first time I stepped into SDG for my interview with Jason and Toni, to the day I walked out as a graduate, SDG felt like home. Even now, two months later, I know that SDG is a friendly and welcoming place, whether I need help with a code problem, or just want to hang out.

The staff is incredible. I truly believe that the instructors are world-class developers, and I feel truly grateful to have had the experience to learn from them. They continue to be an extremely valuable resource.

I found during the cohort that if I had a problem, I could bring it to the staff very comfortably, and it was addressed as soon as was possible. Their main interest is you. They want you to have a great experience, and they want you to learn all that you can.

If you're on the fence about SDG, I hope I've been able to make your decision easier!

• Gus Kemenyfy  User Photo
    Gus Kemenyfy • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I’ve been a Daycare administrator since I can remember. Always passionate about computers and looking for a career change, one of my best friends recommended me the Suncoast Developers Guild bootcamp to speed up the process of learning to code. I wasn’t even sure what that meant when I decided to start, lured by the lifestyle and promises a career in tech can offer.

I had to commute from Sarasota every day and I wasn’t sure if I was going to last the entire 12/Week process. I even had to apply for a credit (process they made super simple) to get onboard. Once I started, I felt in love with it. I found the strength and desire to wake up early and put long hours to learn about my new career. It is so much more than I thought. I found myself coding everywhere, even on weekends. Even now, I don’t want to stop.

Life at the code school is amazing. The instructors, Mark, Jason, Gavin, Toni and Katherine are all super diligent and motivated, plus the best teachers you could hope for. The facilities are great, it felt like home away from home. Plus, the camaraderie among your peers made it so we all built lifelong relationships with fellow career changers. And then there is the community which welcomes you with open arms and is always there to lend a helping hand. I spent long hours engaged in so many activities, building relationships and learning from the best tech talent the Tampa Bay area can offer.

I came onboard without having coded a single line before. By the end of it, I had mastered HTML5, CSS3 and two different JavaScript libraries in React and Vue. Also .Net Core as a backend framework. Fluent in JavaScript and C# and with a lot of tech tools under my belt they got me up and running and ready to find a job in the tech industry. Worth mentioning they also gave me lots of Career Support hours, making sure every big and small detail was ready, guaranteeing in me a successful job search.

I graduated almost two months ago, and I am happily working as a Software Developer for a company I could only dreamed of before. I did put a crazy amount of effort, but the guidande of the program itself made it happen, and fast. I am so grateful, all those days, all those promises...

Suncoast Developers Guild delivered!

• Prepare to learn
    - 12/7/2018
    Matthew Cooke  User Photo
    Matthew Cooke • Graduate Verified via GitHub

From JavaScript to resume writing, the SDG does it all. During the 13-week course, I went from never having written a line of code to now being able to construct functional web applications. Every lecture is tailored to what the current class needs to focus on to become successful developers.

My experience was different than most as I commuted from New Tampa to St. Petersburg daily. I will recommend living closer to ensure success but it is possible as long as you are a very dedicated and disciplined student.

There are lectures every morning followed by several hours of lab time in the early afternoon. During the lab time, the instructors are available to answer questions. The instructors are always willing to point you in the right direction or give enough information for that 'AHA!' moment.

Not only are the fundamentals of web development taught at SDG but so are the soft skills. Every Friday is spent learning a new facet of marketing yourself as a developer, writing a resume, or taking a field trip to see a live development environment. Each student is given as much attention and assistance as they can handle.

Overall, attending SDG was one of the best life-choices that I have made and I encourage anyone who loves a fulfilling challenge to reach out.

-Matt

• Dino Ribeiro  User Photo
    Dino Ribeiro • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I first learned about SDG from my brother, who had graduated from the Iron Yard a couple of years ago. I knew very little about coding coming into Cohort X and I can say that I truly learned a whole lot. The overall experience was good but it's also a very fast paced program and at times I felt like there was no light at the end of the tunnel.

Mark Dewey was our main instructor and he was just awesome from day 1. Over the course of the 12 weeks I know I asked a lot of dumb questions along the way and Mark patiently answered all of them in a professional manner. I can’t express how grateful I am in having Mark teach us React.

Jason Perry was my instructor for Ruby on Rails. Jason is such an experienced coder that I don’t think once I asked him a question in which he didn’t know the answer for.

On Friday we have career support with Toni and Katherine. They are both excellent in helping out setting up LinkedIn account, resumes and cover letters.  In addition, they are also involved in the community and always hosting different Meetups.

Overall I would recommend anyone who’s interested in learning how to solve problems and code.  All the people involved at SDG are extremely helpful.

• Justin Oliver Lee  User Photo
    Justin Oliver Lee • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came to Suncoast Developers Guild without any coding experience, and very little knowledge of what was to come. In the begining the work was easy, but that didn't last very long. The course work was definitely full of challenges, but the instructors, like Gavin, were always there to guide us throught it.

The career support from Toni and Katherine was also instrumental in preparing everyone there for what comes after the program is over. If you enjoy being challenged and solving puzzles, I highly recomend talking to Suncoast Developers Guild about their program.

• A++ Bootcamp
    - 12/3/2018
    Jeff  User Photo
    Jeff • Student Verified via GitHub

Before attending Suncoast Developers Guild I had no coding experience. After graduating, I feel I have a great foundation to begin as a programmer. It is an immersive Bootcamp, you will be pushed to your limits. SDG has instructors that are very knowledgeable and enjoy teaching, they go above and beyond to help you succeed. Every Friday someone from career services will also help you brand yourself, they will give you the tools you need to find a job.

If I had it all to do again I would take some pre-courses in JavaScript just to get a better understanding of the syntax and logic, which were the two things I struggled with.

I would recommend SDG to anyone wanting to go to any Bootcamp. The course is very intense and will take up all of your free time for the entire 12 weeks. Don't take it lightly and do all the pre-work they assign before starting.

Happy Coding and Good Luck!!

• Jason Rocha  User Photo
    Jason Rocha • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The staff at SDG was a definite highlight for me.  Toni, Mark, Jason, Gavin, Katherine and co. are so attentive to the students that any apprehension, code-related or not can be quickly put at ease thanks to their support.  I can honestly say that while the cirriculum they have crafted has stuck with me and helped me achieve success throughout my cohort, it could easily fall apart in less capable hands.  Diving head-first into a new field can be terrifying, but the instructors will do everything in their power to make the transition as enjoyable and smooth as possible.  Mark Dewey may very well be the best instructor I've had throughout my 8 years of high school/college.  The facility, the care from the staff and their well-crafted lesson plans all made the experience sublime for my fellow graduates and I.  With the inclusion of post-grad career support, Toni and the staff have ensured that their students always have a place to work and a support system that is so critical and so rare to have guaranteed at this early in the students' career paths.  I am very grateful for the time and care that everyone at SDG provided me during my time learning there.  I cannot recommend the school enough for anybody who is interested in learning to code.  All of their concerns will be calmed by this extraordinary team of educators.

• LIFE CHANGING!!!
    - 8/8/2019
    Tatyanna • QA Engineer • Graduate

I literally cannot stress enough how much this bootcamp has changed my life for the better. Prior to SDG I tried BLOC (2015. Wasn't a great experience) and Launch Code (2018. Great for beginners but did not place most of the class and it did not teach enough to get most of us hired).

The team is supportive throughout the process. Both in class and post graduation. I could always talk with Katherine or one of the staff members to get tips or direction. I would recommend SDG to ANYONE who is looking to change careers into tech. I went through the course thinking I would get a job as a developer but I found my true calling as a QA engineer. It allows me to continue developing and use my organizational/detail skills.

• Shantell • Digital Marketing Strategist • Graduate

What sets Suncoast Developers Guild Academy apart from other code camps is the program's willingness and ability to adapt to each cohort's learning style and pace. I found this particularly helpful in moments of struggle, and I know my classmates did as well. You are only as advanced as your most behind peer.

We made an effort to keep each other afloat during a very intense, fast-paced learning environment. The faculty care--really care--about the well-being and future of their students. You can see this as far up as the top with the school's president, Toni Warren, to each member of their community. When we say, SDG Family, we mean it. I felt like a member of the family before I enrolled because that's the vibe.

You will often find alumni working remotely from the campus, and they are generous to help if you're stuck on a concept or a code line in your project. What's more, people are smart but remain humble and humorous. The projects are unique, challenging and engaging. Mark Dewey, the main instructor, is nominated for the best web developer in Tampa Bay 2019 because he's that good.

Katherine Tremmel works all hours to get you employed. Fridays are dedicated to job skills, networking, and setting yourself up for success. Plus, Friday's are half-days arranged for afternoon socials.

SDG was a great experience. An experience that keeps going long after one receives her certificate as a full-stack web developer.

• Silvana Rojas • Graduate

Suncoast Developers Guild has a positive environment, a diversity cohort, an incredible staff, and attentive teachers. The Full-Stack web development program was a wonderful experience with successful results. However, it was not easy. You should study and do the pre-work as much as possible before the program begins. Every day you will be challenged with warm-ups and homework and will work nights and weekends if you want to get effective results. If you follow the instructions of the Suncoast Developers Guild staff, you will have a high probability of entering the world of development.​ ​

• vzmon1 • Graduate

Unlike most of the other students at the Suncoast Developers Guild Academy, I had some exposure to programming concepts and the IT industry in general. Having secured a BS in programming did little to prepare me to secure a position as a programmer in the industry. Looking to improve my employment chances, I had the good fortune to stumbled upon the SDG Academy.

Although I had some reservations due to the cost and time commitment, I jumped all in, and never regretted it. The Instructor (Mark), I had was extremely knowledgeable, patient and understanding. I'm sure that our questions were the same ones he has heard for the umpteenth time, but he never hesitated to answer them in a calm professional manner. The curriculum path I took included the most current and sought-after technologies, React, Vue, Javascript, HTML 5, CSS3, C#. Patiently he taught us Padawans the way of the programmer. Which is be self-sufficient, research, try and ask questions intelligently.

But the Suncoast Developer Guild Academy goes beyond just teaching you how to program. They also help to introduce you to the local programming community. The field trips to the various companies start to give you a sense of a programmer’s life. They host various Meetups, which further helps you connect with other developers in the area. Their Career Services helps you understand what employers are looking for and how to make your presence known to them.

As many have noted, there is a great time commitment requirement. My day started at the school at 07:30 AM and ended at about 10:30 PM, M-F. On the weekend I would put in an additional 10 hours. It was a heavy schedule but rewarding one. Others put in more time. I’m not trying to scare anyone off, but you do get what you put into it.

Because of the high pace of the program, I would recommend the following before attending the class:

• Learn the basic programming concepts:
      • Variables
      • Abstractions
      • Parameters
      • Arrays
      • List
      • Operators (Relational, logical, Conditional)
      • IDE
      • SQL

You don’t need an in depth understanding, just enough that it doesn’t slow you down.

• Take an entry level online course. This will give you a taste of some of the concepts, as well as prepare you for programming
    • Use OneNote (or any note take app) in class to help you understand and organize the volume of technical information you will be exposed to

The Suncoast Developer’s Guild Academy is not the end, but the beginning of your next phase of life, it was for me.  I secured a position as a application support staff member. I have my hands in Oracle, system support, Powershell, SQL, C#, and anything else that they can throw my way.

On behalf of the other SDG cohort graduates and myself, best of luck on your programming journey…. Never stop programming

• Dylan Attal • Graduate

I just graduated from SDG last weekend. I am so grateful to have been part of the program. I decided to make a career change into web development coming from a completely non-technical background. I got on Codecademy and FreeCodeCamp and began teaching myself to code. It was great, but the progress was slow-going and I knew it'd be hard to get a foot in the door somewhere without a strong portfolio of work. I stumbled across SDG online. I wasn't familiar with coding bootcamps, and it seemed too good to be true, so I attended meetups in St. Pete and met alumni of the program who are now happily employed as web developers. I highly encourage you to do this due diligence if you're interested in the program. Go visit the campus. Go meet the staff. Go talk to alumni of the program. Once I saw how dedicated the staff are to the success of the students and how successful (and happy) alumni were post-graduation, I knew that SDG was for real.

Have realistic expectations going into the program. You will have to drop *everything* for three months while you are a student there. You will be putting in between 80 and 100 hours of work each week. But if you make the sacrifices necessary, you can really suceed through the program.

SDG is there for you. Not only do you have amazingly talented instructors, but you also receive a ton of career support. The career support really sets SDG apart from other coding bootcamps. We had mock interviews with a local company. We toured a local company and met developers on their team. We were strongly encouraged to attend local meetups in order to truly become part of the larger Tampa Bay tech community. SDG molds you into a web development professional.

I genuinely feel lucky that I was able to participate in the program. I cannot speak directly to employment prospects post-graduation since I finished just days ago, but I can say that I feel very confident that I'll be able to land a good job within a month or two. I can't imagine going through this career change without SDG.

• John Flynn • Student

When I learned about Suncoast Developer's Guild I was a bit skeptical. They seemed like an unknown quantity without a lot of reviews. After attending their first demo day I learned about their high placement rates and had the opportunity to talk to students and the staff. I brought my wife and we were both very impressed. 40% of the class was already placed on demo day and the students had glowing reviews on what they had learned and were optimistic about their future. I decided to give them a shot and I'm very glad that I did not go with another code school here in Florida. One of the big advantages at SDG is that they teach C# .NET and Ruby on Rails which are both in serious demand here in Tampa.

The staff genuinely cares about your well-being and they teach work life balance. They encourage you to push yourself and it is a very rigorous education (I spend about 70 hours a week coding, some do more some do less) but they don't have hard deadlines so as long as you get the work done you are free to take some time away which is very important for your mental state. The instructors all have an immense amount of experience coding (between the three instructors they are getting close to 100 years combined) and they have tons of experience teaching at the Iron Yard (the staff is made up from former Iron Yard instructors who ran the most successful branch of that school). I am confident that I have a bright future in coding and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here (although it can be very stressful at times). I encourage anyone with a passion for coding to check out SDG, it is the best investment in my future that I have ever made.

• Chris Packett • Software Developer • Student

The team, the timing, the product, the experience--everything at the Suncoast Developer's Guild was spot on.

Toni, Jason, Gavin, Mark, Katherine, Lauren, Kento, and the team are undoubtedly the most creative, passionate, and agile team I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Simply walking into the Suncoast Developer's Guild gives the urgency to stay forever, and learn as much as you can from all of the other talented individuals that step into that building.

There is no better timing for a not-for-profit code school, the only one in Florida may I add, than now. The greater Tampa bay area has been in need of this type of program for a long time, and it has finally come to fruition.

I attended the academy in July-October and found it to be the most pivotal experience in my life. I am currently working at an amazing company, doing what I love everyday--building software. I would do it over again, and I recommend any one that is thinking about doing the program--do it, you won't regret it.

• Great experience!
    - 7/28/2019
    Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

Overall I had a really good experience at SDG. The instructors and staff were all very caring and supportive and my cohort became like a family. It was a great environment to learn with a welcoming and positive atmosphere.

If considering enrolling at SDG I HIGHLY recommend doing the prework! Be prepared to dedicate the majority of your time to the program and be 100% committed. You will learn at an extremely fast pace. Having a good support system in place is also very important, as it can get emotionally draining at times. It isn’t easy, but very rewarding!