science-to-data-science-logo

Science to Data Science

London, Online

Science to Data Science

Science to Data Science offers both a 5-week data science workshop in London training analytical PhDs, and a 5-week online data science course for both PhDs and MScs. Both courses teach the skills needed to transition from a scientific background to become a successful data scientist, such as Python, R, Hadoop, SQL, and machine learning. Fellows accepted into the program will learn via hands-on projects, and work in groups to complete real-life big data problems. The curriculum also includes 30 hours of lectures on topics such as professional development and business skills, designed to help students achieve their goals after the program. For those attending the campus-based program, housing in London is included.

All applicants should have intermediate programming skills in a mainstream programming language, and a strong desire to change careers into a data science role. Applicants for the in-person class should have a PhD, or be in their final year of a PhD. Applicants for the online course need at least a MSc in an analytical science, and some programming experience.

All Science to Data Science students work on projects with real companies, and Science to Data Science will help connect students to job opportunities via networking events and membership to the Science to Data Science Alumni group.

Recent Science to Data Science Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (46) reviews for Science to Data Science →

Recent Science to Data Science News

• Science to Data Science London

Data Science
    LocationLondon
    This five week workshop trains analytical PhDs and scientists in the commercial tools and techniques needed to be hired into data science roles. The aim of the workshop is to create a pipeline of high quality, commercial data science talent.
    Minimum Skill LevelPhD Required
  • Science to Data Science Virtual

Data Science
    In Person
    Science to Data Science is a five-week online workshop that trains analytical PhDs and MScs in the skills needed to become Data Scientists. Fellows accepted into the program will learn through practical work, and teams will work in groups to complete real-life big data problems. The curriculum also includes 30 hours of lectures on topics such as professional development and business skills. Applicants should have a PhD or MSc in an analytical science, some programming experience, and a strong desire to change careers into a data science role.
    Deposit£800
    Minimum Skill LevelMSc, PhD
  • Pavan Sangha  User Photo
    Pavan Sangha • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Science 2 Data Science, offered my the necessary experience to help transition from academia to industry. I have a very theoretical PhD, and i wanted a platform to show off programming and data science skills that i had aquired through self teaching. S2DS London was this perfect platform!

I got to work for 5 weeks in an intensive but fun work environment with like minded collegues who all shared the same goal. What was extremely pleasing was that i loved the project i was assigned to. I was able to work for a start up and experience the perks of working within the start up culture and at the same time work on a fraud detection problem that would have a truly massive impact on the business going forward.

If you want to be part of an amazing network, gain some experience into working on a real life data science project which not only develops your technical skills skills but also the soft skills needed to work within a team in industry, then S2DS is the place to be.

• Naser Monsefi  User Photo
    Naser Monsefi • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

From the day I decided to switch from academia to data science; this course was on the top of my list. I was originally planning to do the on site course but the on-line course tunred out to be the better option (no UK visa hassles for me). The course was intense but for a good reason and it gave me a sense of how data science roles are in real commercial settings. Our team of three, had great mentors both from course side and the company providing our porject. Although I already had quite good technical skills, the course thought me a lot. My biggest achievment was how to work in collabration with others toward the same goal in a short time frame. I also learned how to look at analytical problems from a commercial view point.

In the end, beside the great experince from the course itself, I had a better understanding of what a data science do and what type of roles I would be better to apply. Eventhough they mainly help for looking jobs in the UK, by just adding the course to my CV I were asked for more interviews outside of UK and I was able to show case my performance potential in a commercial settings.

I highly recommand this course for all the academics who are planning to pursue a data analytic career.

• Matteo Guzzo  User Photo
    Matteo Guzzo • Data scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you are in academia and wonder if data science would be a good or feasible idea for a new career (hint: it is), this is what you are looking for.

S2DS gave me the hands-on experience I needed to be confident about my potential and perspectives in data science. This is something that any MOOC or Kaggle competition would never be able to give you. I can't stress enough the importance of working in a team for a company whilst trying to solve a business problem. The value of such an experience is incommensurable, and you will take advantage of it on your CV and during job interviews.

S2DS also gives you access to a network of data scientists, career advice, and job leads, all extremely helpful for your future data science career.

All this comes in the form of quite an intense but very enjoyable 5-week experience, where you'll be in the company of very like-minded people. The opportunity to meet and discuss all sort of ideas with other participants is another invaluable perk.

I was quite suprised by how well the virtual program worked, despite having to work remotely with people from all corners of the continent. That definitely worked much better than I expected.

In short, if you are an academic looking to jump into the data science endeavour, S2DS is a no-brainer.

• Jonny Brooks-Bartlett  User Photo
    Jonny Brooks-Bartlett • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Without a doubt the best career decision I've made. I wouldn't be in my current data scientist position without it!

The S2DS London programme was such a great experience. Although at first it can feel quite daunting, you'll quickly find out that everyone is like-minded and supportive so it never felt like a competition.

I had initially expected formal lectures on the technical aspects of data science learning about algorithms and new technologies so I was surprised when so many of the lectures were so soft skills focussed. However, through several networking events and my experience on the job market I realised just how much more useful it was to have the lectures that we did.

S2DS gave me a much broader perspective of the data science landscape and made me realise that I already had the skills to be a data scientist, I just didn't know it before. Importantly it gave me a huge data science network and the relevant commercial experience to get my data science career started.

Even after the course, the assistance and advice I received was great. No recruiter I spoke to was ever that helpful or suggested I should aim as high as the team at Pivigo. Ultimately it was a presentation that I gave about my S2DS project at a Pivigo organised Meetup that got me the job I'm in now.

If you're thinking of starting a career in data science and are not sure where to start then I whole-heartedly recommend S2DS!

• Sudhir N. Pathak • Graduate

Allow me to give the take home message at the start - if you are from academics and want to get working experience of data science and industry, the five weeks at S2DS are of great value.

Given that we have a great deal of technical training in our academic career, it may look like doing data science is not very different. I believe this program will change your opinion like it changed mine.

Like most of the people who joined this program, I do have a strong academic background. I have completed my PhD in Physics, and then have been working as a post-doctoral fellow. My research work mostly involves programming, data analysis and problem solving. One year back, I decided to make a transition to a career in data science, motivated by desire to solve real-world problems. I learnt machine learning, deep learning, data science by taking various courses.

It is hard to get a data scientist job without hands-on data science experience. Looking for opportunities to gain experience of working on industrial projects, I came to know about S2DS through a friend who had joined the S2DS program and successfully transitioned to a data scientist career.

The most important skill which I Iearnt in S2DS and which is very critical in industry is communication. I closely worked in a team of 4 people, all of us from different background, academically and culturally. It was great opportunity to learn and develop the communication skills. This also gives the opportunity where we are working together almost all the time, updating each other using slack, regularly meeting through hangout. In addition to the communication within the team, we were interacting with our clients twice a week, where we used to get clarifications on the problem we were trying to solve, and constantly updating them we the progress we were achieving. Working as a consultant was a totally new and fun experience.

The mentors at S2DS were extremely supportive. We had regular scrum meeting with S2DS technical mentors, where we got clarity on the ideas we were following and also directions to pursue in order to solve the problem. S2DS also looks into whether we are happy as a team, making sure that team remains on a cohesive ground.

To conclude, it was really a great experience for me. I got to learn a lot, be it the hard skills or the soft skills required to a successful data scientist. I will highly recommend this program.

• Elena Lestini • Graduate

Datascience is a perfect field for scientists who want to change career and transfer their STEM skills and knowhow to the IT & Data sectorbut it is not always easy to find the right opportunity to kick off the transition from science to data scienceThe S2DS programme provides this opportunity and actually delivers more than expected: datascience projects with trading companies/institutions,  team-based work, presentation coaching, MBA microcourse, best coding practices, career advice, job fair, networking opportunities and much more. If you are looking for a data science programme think S2DS, it ticks many boxes!

• Hameed S • Graduate

I was looking to gain some experience in Data Science and chose the S2DS programme as it offered good exposure to practical data science projects and provided the opportunity to develop the skills required to pursue a career in data science.

The programme is well structured and the mentors provide good support and help you through the difficult parts of the programme. Though there are no technical training or courses in data science, the mini-MBA helps in understanding the role of data scientists in commercial projects.

Overall, I had a very positive experience and good exposure to data science projects.

• Andrius • Data Scientist • Graduate

I was involved in several data science projects before starting the program. However, these projects were limited to academic settings, often resulting in publications and proof-of-concept prototypes. These prototypes were often abandoned after publishing results in a scientific journal and rarely made it to "real-life" settings.

S2DS gave me a good taste of a typical data science project in industry, covering requirement elicitation, model development and deployment. I had a chance to work with brilliant fellow data scientists supervised by skilled mentors, available whenever their help was needed. The 5 weeks spent in London were both intense and rewarding at the same time. The program exceeded my expectations and I am extremely satisfied with the outcomes!

• Shad • Freelance Data Scientist • Graduate

I finished my Ph.D. in October 2018. From that point to the start of S2DS, I applied for so many jobs that I have lost track. Having no commercial experience makes it very hard to find a job in a competitive market. This is why I enrolled in S2DS, as a proxy to getting real, hands-on experience in a data science environment.

What I got out of it was more than that: a circle of friends and mentors, always ready to help when I have difficulties. This, coupled with the experience, is invaluable! I highly recommend the program!

Ohh, and I got a job on the last day of S2DS!

• Diego Capozzi • Researcher in Astrophysics • Graduate

My background is Astrophysics and I have worked in academic research for about 10 years from my undergraduate to my almost 5-year tenure as a postdoctoral researcher. At some point during my academic career, I started considering moving into data science as I found it interesting and because there are several aspects of academia that did not fit well with my working style. Then something happened: I got selected for the Virtual S2DS bootcamp.

It has been a week since my Virtual S2DS experience ended. Do you remember the satisfaction after finishing your master degree/PhD? I am feeling the same satisfaction, with the difference though that this time it is not my own personal achievement only. Instead this time the achievement is that of a team formed by individuals (including myself) who: i) get to know each other’s skills and characters; ii) acquire new skills; iii) learn to trust each other and to work together to solve a data science challenge for a client company; iv) commit to achieve previously set up goals; v) produce deliverables for the client company, with practical and direct impact on their decision making process. The bootcamp is like an experiment concentrated into five weeks during which the key tools to be able to successfully conclude it are teamwork, communication, problem solving, time management and analytical skills (e.g., coding, machine learning, mathematical modelling, statistics and data handling and visualisation). I believe that these tools are the fundamental requirements to become a successful data scientist.

So, if a career in data science is what you are thinking about, apply for this bootcamp and enjoy the journey. You will feel motivated, interested, stimulated, taken care of and guided by the Pivigo staff members and will have a  lot of fun. Sometimes you may feel that the project you are working on is not going the way you expected/hoped to. However, it still a scientific project the one you will work on and, by definition, unexpected issues can arise. One has to be ready to face the unpredictable and solve the problems in a finite amount of time and by the given deadline. I believe that this aspect is a very important one to experience on your own skin, so that you will be ready to solve such hurdles later on during your prospective data science career within a business environment. In fact, differently from many academic environments, deadlines must me met and this aspect is a fundamental one to take into account.

Furthermore I have had the chance to meet extraordinary people from different countries, from completely different backgrounds than mine and sometimes with completely different characters. Being immersed in such a diverse environment is a great opportunity to grow into a better and more competent professional. I have made valuable colleagues and friends during this experience and I was able to learn a lot from them. I am still in touch with many of them. In addition, I have been given the chance to join a large network of data scientists, which is the perfect platform for job hunting.

Finally, Pivigo provides resources for training on many topics (e.g., machine learning, python and other programming languages, statistics, project management, business) before the starting of the bootcamp. I found this particularly useful as I had the chance to deepen and/or refresh and/or build up my knowledge on the topics needed for the project.

In a few words, I highly recommend this bootcamp and I wish you the best of luck for when you apply for it!

• Laura Collins • Graduate

I recently completed the S2DS Virtual program, and like many of the other participants I was nervous at the beginning of it all because I didn’t think I’d be able to contribute much to the project based on what I knew going in (I was also nervous because of the time difference, but maintaining London hours in Indiana wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be). There were a couple of lectures in the first two weeks about Teamwork and How to Code Well, and for the virtual program we studied various data science topics independently before the official work started, but most of what I learned in S2DS came from actually working on my project with my teammates, and it was an invaluable experience.

I also thought that the ‘Virtual’ part of S2DS worked very well. Through Slack, Google Hangouts, daily group Zoom chats, and ‘speed networking’ with the other participants the S2DS program didn’t end up feeling very ‘virtual.’ The virtual component of the program also helped highlight the importance of communication in data science. Since all communication was done online, it was critical throughout the program to communicate ideas and results well and also to communicate openly and regularly with your teammates. I think working through a data science project with a company from start to finish online, helped us all further understand the importance of being able to explain the results of your project to people with different backgrounds and experience and also helped us improve on our communication skills.

In addition to the support from my teammates, there was also a fantastic support system from Pivigo throughout the program. Both the technical mentors and the community mentor were there as resources in addition to the company mentor for the project to help us out when we had difficulties. So although a great deal of the learning and progress on the project happened individually or with my teammates, we did have several people we could ask for help.

It was a fantastic feeling to have a finished project at the end of the S2DS program, that we can discuss as real data science experience in job interviews and that the company will move forward with and build upon. I truly believe that S2DS is the best way to learn data science, and more importantly learn how to be a data scientist as part of a team.

• Data Scientist
    - 12/3/2017
    Chris D • Data Scientist • Graduate

I finished my PhD in Climate Physics in 2012 and went industry for 4 years afterwards, working for both a large corporation and startup. I signed onto the virtual S2DS course as I knew that the world is rapidly undertaking a technological shift towards Data Science and now was the time to equip myself with the skills.

The 5 week course has not disappointed! Being paired with 3 other international people and working on a real world data science project throws you straight into the deep end of working in a fast pace and results driven environment. It is intense and challenging however the Pivigo team do provide an excellent support network of technical advisors to help you throughout the course.

The main skills you will pick up:

• data pre-processing
    • predictive modelling
    • failing fast
    • working in an agile environment

I would thoroughly recommend this course for anyone wanting to making the switch to Data Science, whether straight from PhD for if you have experience in industry - probably the most fun I've had at 'work' in a long time!