science-to-data-science-logo

Science to Data Science

Science to Data Science

Science to Data Science is a 5-week, online data science course for PhDs and MScs. S2DS teaches the skills needed to transition from a scientific background to become a successful data scientist, such as Python, R, Hadoop, SQL, and machine learning. Fellows accepted into the program will learn via hands-on projects, and work in groups to complete real-life big data problems.

All applicants should have intermediate programming skills in a mainstream programming language like Python or R, and a strong desire to change careers into a data science role. Applicants are required to hold an MSc or PhD in an analytical field (though candidates in their final year of PhD studies are also accepted).

All Science to Data Science students work on projects with real companies, and Science to Data Science will help connect students to job opportunities via networking events and membership to the Science to Data Science Alumni group.

Recent Science to Data Science Reviews: Rating 4.93

all (51) reviews for Science to Data Science →

Recent Science to Data Science News

• Science to Data Science

Data Science
    OnlineFull Time5 Weeks
    Start Date March 14, 2022
    Cost£800
    The S2DS Bootcamp was designed to help bridge the gap between academia and industry for talented individuals who already possess the foundational skills of a data scientist, as developed through their academic careers. Unlike most data science programmes, where the focus is on theoretical learning, S2DS recognises your prior learning and instead focuses on training you to use and develop your analytical knowledge to tackle a real data science problem. By empowering participants with the commercial experience needed to embark on an exciting career in data science, we give our alumni the edge on the competition. Work on a real commercial data science problem, as part of a small team, with commercial partners ranging from exciting start-ups, SMEs, and charities, through to large multinational companies. Immerse yourself in the day-to-day of a data scientist from day one, making a real impact on real business challenges.
    Refund / GuaranteeFee only payable upon acceptance to the course; applications are free!
    ScholarshipLimited partial scholarships are available and can be requested during the application process.
    Minimum Skill LevelMSc or PhD in an analytical field
    March 14, 2022 - Online Apply by December 31, 2021
    July 25, 2022 - Online Apply by April 30, 2022
  • Alberto Guffanti  User Photo
    Alberto Guffanti • Senior Developer • Applicant Verified via GitHub

Being still undecided whether to leave academia or not, I decided to participate in the S2DS bootcamp to get a flavour of what the life of a Data Scientist in a commercial environment would be. And all I can say is that this has been a great decision.

I opted for the S2DS Virtiual course because, due to family constraints, I would have not been able to move for 5 weeks to London, although I was a bit skeptical about the online format. I knew people who participated in S2DS London in the previous years and they all enjoyed and reccommended it, but I was not sure the Virtual course would be as engaging as the residential one.Truth is that the team at Pivigo are really great at running the course and are able to make the online course feel almost as a residential one!

The format is really good and it makes you (or at least me) realise that as a PhD/Postdoc what one is missing for a successful as a commercial Data Scientist is not technical skills but the soft skills to adapt to a different way of working.

The projects are generally quite interesting and the company mentors are very engaged and helpful and the staff at Pivigo is extremely helpful and supportive.

Being part of the S2DS Alumni community is a great way to start a professional network of data scientists and industry experts, a crucial element when looking for your first data science job outside the academic world. Although the course (and the related network) is quite UK centric, including it in your CV will boost your value in the eyes of recruiters and companies all over Europe.

In conclusion, I would definitely reccommend S2DS to anyone looking to transition from Academia to a commercial Data Science role! It will help you a lot in jump-starting your new career and, most of all, you will truly enjoy it!

• Dr
    - 10/28/2017
    Olusegun Oshota  User Photo
    Olusegun Oshota • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had a previous experience as a Post-Doc in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology within the academic set-up before enrolling on the 'SCIENCE TO DATA SCIENCE VIRTUAL' . I was interested in gaining experience in the applicatrion of machine learning to 'BIG DATA'. S2DS provided me with an excellent opportunity to do just that in the sense that I had the opportunity of developing my machine learning skills on a project which involved analysis of large datasets provided by an online marketing company. Apart from the project I was able to interact meaningfully with the other would-be Data Scientists, and also gained experience of working in a remote virtual environment. I recommend the 'SCIENCE TO DATA SCIENCE VIRTUAL' to any aspiring Data Scientist who are unbale to go to S2DS in London.

• Pavan Sangha  User Photo
    Pavan Sangha • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Science 2 Data Science, offered my the necessary experience to help transition from academia to industry. I have a very theoretical PhD, and i wanted a platform to show off programming and data science skills that i had aquired through self teaching. S2DS London was this perfect platform!

I got to work for 5 weeks in an intensive but fun work environment with like minded collegues who all shared the same goal. What was extremely pleasing was that i loved the project i was assigned to. I was able to work for a start up and experience the perks of working within the start up culture and at the same time work on a fraud detection problem that would have a truly massive impact on the business going forward.

If you want to be part of an amazing network, gain some experience into working on a real life data science project which not only develops your technical skills skills but also the soft skills needed to work within a team in industry, then S2DS is the place to be.

• Naser Monsefi  User Photo
    Naser Monsefi • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

From the day I decided to switch from academia to data science; this course was on the top of my list. I was originally planning to do the on site course but the on-line course tunred out to be the better option (no UK visa hassles for me). The course was intense but for a good reason and it gave me a sense of how data science roles are in real commercial settings. Our team of three, had great mentors both from course side and the company providing our porject. Although I already had quite good technical skills, the course thought me a lot. My biggest achievment was how to work in collabration with others toward the same goal in a short time frame. I also learned how to look at analytical problems from a commercial view point.

In the end, beside the great experince from the course itself, I had a better understanding of what a data science do and what type of roles I would be better to apply. Eventhough they mainly help for looking jobs in the UK, by just adding the course to my CV I were asked for more interviews outside of UK and I was able to show case my performance potential in a commercial settings.

I highly recommand this course for all the academics who are planning to pursue a data analytic career.

• Matteo Guzzo  User Photo
    Matteo Guzzo • Data scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you are in academia and wonder if data science would be a good or feasible idea for a new career (hint: it is), this is what you are looking for.

S2DS gave me the hands-on experience I needed to be confident about my potential and perspectives in data science. This is something that any MOOC or Kaggle competition would never be able to give you. I can't stress enough the importance of working in a team for a company whilst trying to solve a business problem. The value of such an experience is incommensurable, and you will take advantage of it on your CV and during job interviews.

S2DS also gives you access to a network of data scientists, career advice, and job leads, all extremely helpful for your future data science career.

All this comes in the form of quite an intense but very enjoyable 5-week experience, where you'll be in the company of very like-minded people. The opportunity to meet and discuss all sort of ideas with other participants is another invaluable perk.

I was quite suprised by how well the virtual program worked, despite having to work remotely with people from all corners of the continent. That definitely worked much better than I expected.

In short, if you are an academic looking to jump into the data science endeavour, S2DS is a no-brainer.

• Jonny Brooks-Bartlett  User Photo
    Jonny Brooks-Bartlett • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Without a doubt the best career decision I've made. I wouldn't be in my current data scientist position without it!

The S2DS London programme was such a great experience. Although at first it can feel quite daunting, you'll quickly find out that everyone is like-minded and supportive so it never felt like a competition.

I had initially expected formal lectures on the technical aspects of data science learning about algorithms and new technologies so I was surprised when so many of the lectures were so soft skills focussed. However, through several networking events and my experience on the job market I realised just how much more useful it was to have the lectures that we did.

S2DS gave me a much broader perspective of the data science landscape and made me realise that I already had the skills to be a data scientist, I just didn't know it before. Importantly it gave me a huge data science network and the relevant commercial experience to get my data science career started.

Even after the course, the assistance and advice I received was great. No recruiter I spoke to was ever that helpful or suggested I should aim as high as the team at Pivigo. Ultimately it was a presentation that I gave about my S2DS project at a Pivigo organised Meetup that got me the job I'm in now.

If you're thinking of starting a career in data science and are not sure where to start then I whole-heartedly recommend S2DS!

• Costa • Applicant
     Having completed my S2DS experience, I feel so thankful that I had the opportunity to participate in the 2021 cohort. Even though the course was virtual it felt so vivid and engaging.
    From the beginning to the end, the organizers have put such a great effort to plan a hands-on experience, involving exciting real-life data science projects, and made sure that the interaction between all members of the cohort is constantly up.
    S2DS is a great opportunity for anyone looking to dive deeper into data science and obtain work experience. It is hard work all the way through 5 intense weeks but also a fantastic networking hub. S2DS allows you to manage your own project within strict timeframes, and engage with customers in discussions and negotiations. The organizers' support throughout was phenomenal; from the set up of the working systems to the technicalities within the projects.
    I highly recommend this program. Above all, I recommend enjoying it! Take this opportunity to learn from each other and also teach others. You can always ask for career advice as S2DS has people with good experience in career coaching as well. Participate actively in all meetings, discussions to be able to make the most of it. S2DS has been a great step in my data science career.
  • S2DS London 2020
    - 9/15/2020
    Viktoria Csink • PhD candidate • Graduate
    This is a wonderful course for PhD graduates in the Natural Sciences who are interested in transitioning into data science. The course was brief and tough, most of it was self-taught, which is perfectly suitable for fast learners with a PhD. The experience of communicating with the company and working in a team was especially valuable. Lots os additional technical help is provided, and there is a rich framework of talks and events that help the candidates navigate their ways into data science. I strongly recommend this course - it was a fantastic challenge and a really rewarding experience overall.
  • Sudhir N. Pathak • Graduate

Allow me to give the take home message at the start - if you are from academics and want to get working experience of data science and industry, the five weeks at S2DS are of great value.

Given that we have a great deal of technical training in our academic career, it may look like doing data science is not very different. I believe this program will change your opinion like it changed mine.

Like most of the people who joined this program, I do have a strong academic background. I have completed my PhD in Physics, and then have been working as a post-doctoral fellow. My research work mostly involves programming, data analysis and problem solving. One year back, I decided to make a transition to a career in data science, motivated by desire to solve real-world problems. I learnt machine learning, deep learning, data science by taking various courses.

It is hard to get a data scientist job without hands-on data science experience. Looking for opportunities to gain experience of working on industrial projects, I came to know about S2DS through a friend who had joined the S2DS program and successfully transitioned to a data scientist career.

The most important skill which I Iearnt in S2DS and which is very critical in industry is communication. I closely worked in a team of 4 people, all of us from different background, academically and culturally. It was great opportunity to learn and develop the communication skills. This also gives the opportunity where we are working together almost all the time, updating each other using slack, regularly meeting through hangout. In addition to the communication within the team, we were interacting with our clients twice a week, where we used to get clarifications on the problem we were trying to solve, and constantly updating them we the progress we were achieving. Working as a consultant was a totally new and fun experience.

The mentors at S2DS were extremely supportive. We had regular scrum meeting with S2DS technical mentors, where we got clarity on the ideas we were following and also directions to pursue in order to solve the problem. S2DS also looks into whether we are happy as a team, making sure that team remains on a cohesive ground.

To conclude, it was really a great experience for me. I got to learn a lot, be it the hard skills or the soft skills required to a successful data scientist. I will highly recommend this program.

• Elena Lestini • Graduate

Datascience is a perfect field for scientists who want to change career and transfer their STEM skills and knowhow to the IT & Data sectorbut it is not always easy to find the right opportunity to kick off the transition from science to data scienceThe S2DS programme provides this opportunity and actually delivers more than expected: datascience projects with trading companies/institutions,  team-based work, presentation coaching, MBA microcourse, best coding practices, career advice, job fair, networking opportunities and much more. If you are looking for a data science programme think S2DS, it ticks many boxes!

• Hameed S • Graduate

I was looking to gain some experience in Data Science and chose the S2DS programme as it offered good exposure to practical data science projects and provided the opportunity to develop the skills required to pursue a career in data science.

The programme is well structured and the mentors provide good support and help you through the difficult parts of the programme. Though there are no technical training or courses in data science, the mini-MBA helps in understanding the role of data scientists in commercial projects.

Overall, I had a very positive experience and good exposure to data science projects.

• Andrius • Data Scientist • Graduate

I was involved in several data science projects before starting the program. However, these projects were limited to academic settings, often resulting in publications and proof-of-concept prototypes. These prototypes were often abandoned after publishing results in a scientific journal and rarely made it to "real-life" settings.

S2DS gave me a good taste of a typical data science project in industry, covering requirement elicitation, model development and deployment. I had a chance to work with brilliant fellow data scientists supervised by skilled mentors, available whenever their help was needed. The 5 weeks spent in London were both intense and rewarding at the same time. The program exceeded my expectations and I am extremely satisfied with the outcomes!