metis-logo

Metis

Chicago, Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Metis

Metis offers data science and analytics training via 12-week full-time immersive bootcamps, part-time online bootcamp prep courses, and corporate training programs. The Metis Data Science Bootcamp is offered Live Online with real-time instruction and interaction with classmates. Designed and taught by industry practitioners, the program covers Python, algorithms, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, interactive data visualization, and more. Graduates will be comfortable designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a data science project, will grasp the fundamentals of data visualization, and will get exposure to modern big data tools and architecture such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. The data science curriculum is delivered through project-based, hands-on, collaborative learning, resulting in a portfolio of 5 projects at the end of the bootcamp that can be leveraged during the interview process.

Career Advisors work one-on-one with students and hold regular workshops on topics like networking and resume writing. Students receive mock interview training and have access to an extensive network of speakers, mentors, and a highly engaged network of over 1,100 bootcamp alumni. Graduates leave fully qualified for data scientist jobs and receive career support until they're hired. The Metis hiring network is over 200 companies strong, including Facebook, Amazon, and Capital One.

To apply for the Metis Data Science Bootcamp, applicants need to have experience with programming and statistics. Prior to starting the program, students must complete 25 hours of academic pre-work. Metis offers a free, self-paced Admissions Prep course for those who need to brush up on their linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python skills. Metis is looking for students eager to get their hands dirty by learning new technologies and solving real-life problems, and who have the skills needed to secure entry-level jobs in the Data Science field.

Recent Metis Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (114) reviews for Metis →

Recent Metis News

Read all (50) articles about Metis →
  • Beginner Python and Math for Data Science

Data Science, Python
    Start Date October 19, 2020
    Considering applying to our Data Science Bootcamp but need to build or brush up on your basic skills first? Our Beginner Python & Math for Data Science course was designed for you, the beginner looking for an introduction to the building blocks essential to developing data science skills or forging a new career in the field. This course sets you on the right track, covering everything you’ll encounter during the bootcamp application process. You’ll learn: Basics of Python programming Common Python libraries: NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib Foundations of linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics Please note, the cost of Beginner Python & Math for Data Science can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Beginner Python & Math for Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
    October 19, 2020 - Online Apply by October 19, 2020
    January 11, 2021 - Online Apply by January 11, 2021
  • Data Science Bootcamp

Start Date January 4, 2021
    Metis's 12-week accredited data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Data Scientists bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    We partner with SkillsFund, an innovative financing company that offers financing options for students accepted to our bootcamp. Visit our website to learn more.
    ScholarshipWe offer a $3,000 scholarship for women, members of underrepresented groups, the LGBTQ community, or veterans of U.S. military personnel. We also accept GI Bill® benefits at our NYC campus. Visit thisismetis.com to learn more.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.
    Prep WorkOnce students are enrolled in the bootcamp, they are granted immediate access to our prework materials, a structured program of 25 hours of academic pre-work and up to 35 hours of set-up is designed to get admitted students warmed up and ready to go.
    January 4, 2021 - Online Apply by November 9, 2020
  • Introduction to Data Science

Data Science, Git, Python, Machine Learning
    Start Date January 21, 2021
    This course takes you one step closer to becoming a data scientist by offering a subset of the topics covered in our Data Science Bootcamp. You’ll get a well-rounded intro to the core concepts and technologies taught within the bootcamp, including basic machine learning principles and hands-on coding experience. Plus, you’ll put it all to practice through a mini data science project of your own. We’ll cover the following: Data acquisition, cleaning, and aggregation Exploratory data analysis and visualization Feature engineering Model creation and validation Basic statistical and mathematical foundations for data science We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Introduction to Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents should have some familiarity with basic statistical and linear algebraic concepts. In Python, it will be helpful to know basic data structures.
    January 21, 2021 - Online Apply by January 21, 2021
  • Python for Beginners

Data Science, Python
    Start Date November 2, 2020
    Are you thinking about applying to our Data Science Bootcamp, but need to build your Python skills first? Our Python for Beginners course was designed for you - the beginner ready to learn the fundamentals of the world’s most popular programming language for data science from scratch. During this 3-week course, you will learn: -Introduction to programming in Python -Common basic data types and their properties -Logical operations, loops, functions and more Please note, the cost of Python for Beginners can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to learn Python fundamentals, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Python for Beginners, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries you may have.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
    November 2, 2020 - Online Apply by November 2, 2020

• Allen  User Photo
    Allen • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I think I may be of a slightly different variety than many students and attendees.

I am an adult undergraduate student in my Junior year of an applied mathematics degree. I attended my course as part of an independent study contract with my university.

I attended the 6-week Math and Python for Data Science program. My instructors were Gordon Dri and Roberto Reif.

In my experience, Gordon and Roberto as well as other support staff were extremely attentive, professional, courteous, and warm. Plus, in class, there was some humor to each lesson.

My class was online via video. It is a one-way video, so only the teachers can be seen by the students. This was super convenient. We could communicate via chat (which worked very well), and I could work from anywhere at all and still receive one on one help when necessary.

The iPython notebooks that are provided by Metis can be printed to create your own personal reference manual and can be customized and expanded.

I learned quite a bit more than anticipated, though I was thoroughly familiar with all of the mathematics that were covered.

I’m grateful for the experience. This stuff is going to be invaluable for research and lab work.

I would like to have seen more/deeper mathematics covered using python, but this is a relatively short beginners course with a specific application, and I’m leaving with more than enough tools to do it myself (which is the best way for me to really learn).

• swq  User Photo
    swq • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I loved my experience at Metis. That being said, this hasn't been the ideal time to search for a new job.

The Bootcamp
    The bootcamp is full-time so don't expect anything less. I know some students who worked a lot of extra hours but it's not strictly necessary to keep up. But at a minimum, there will be a few weeks where you'll need to work 45 hours.

A lot will depend on the instructors you have. Since the bootcamp is now going fully online, I'm not sure if they still plan on dividing students up into cohorts. We had different cohorts (Chicago/online, NYC, and SF) and the instructors and TAs were different for each one. I was in the Chicago/online group. Alice Zhao is one of the best teachers I've ever had and Joan Wang is also a top notch teacher. I will say, we had a couple of lectures by instructors from SF and NYC and I wasn't as impressed by them.

For most of the bootcamp (with some exceptions), we had lectures in the morning and independent project work in the afternoon with a fair amount of opportunity to ask instructors questions as we worked on things which was a huge help. Working on these projects without anyone to ask questions would've taken much longer.

The Careers Team
    The careers team and support is generally decent. There are some useful tips I've gotten. I disagree with some of their recommendations but that's not surprising considering how many people dole out job advice these days. Basically what you'd expect from an overall alright careers team.

They do their best to help in any way they can, and they're very responsive. It's easy to message them or book appointments. I do find them a bit patronizing (kind of like they're talking to children instead of working with fellow adults).

The Job Search
    I started job hunting in July and it's still going. Getting call backs at all during the pandemic is ridiculously difficult. I've had a few initial interviews/take home assignments, all of which have been through either referrals or messaging someone through Slack. I've only gotten rejections or no responses for online applications. It hasn't been that long for a job search but I would note that while I see plenty of new data science openings on job boards, the number of applications these openings are getting during COVID are huge. I was holding off on posting a review until I get a job so I could give a concrete amount of time between bootcamp and employment but I decided to post this review earlier to share a warning-

While I enjoyed Metis tremendously, I would not recommend leaving your current job for a data science bootcamp in the current job market (unless you can do it without quitting your job - i.e. a sabbatical or your employer pays for it, do NOT try to work full time while doing this bootcamp).

Something else to keep in mind, which I keep hearing and can be a bit scary, is that with the number of people trying to get into the field, the market is really saturated with people trying to break in. Though from what I can tell, the jobs of non-entry level data scientists are still high demand (speaking of the pre-pandemic situation- I've spoken with a number of people and it's very different now) so it seems that companies have to be more willing to train newbies. :P That being said, I think breaking into a data science job before the pandemic was definitely more feasible. So that might be the case when the economy recovers. But I would really keep in mind that with all these people studying data science, the bubble will pop at one point. Which sucks to hear and is frustrating to take into account because you have no idea when that is. But do keep it in mind.

The Alumni Network - This deserves special note, at the very least because it's very hyped up. After you graduate Metis, you get access to the Metis alumni Slack. It's a great resource. Not super active, since after leaving Metis and getting a job a lot of people don't have the initiative to hang around a lot in the Slack. I've gotten three referrals in the last few months from reaching out to people in the alumni Slack (one application still got rejected sadly, for one I got rejected after a second take home assignment, and for one I was rejected after the initial interview). So not a bad place for leads. If I'm applying to a company where a Metis alum works (checked via LinkedIn), I can message them on the Slack asking about their experience at the company and I normally get a response. Two out of three of those referrals ended up coming about organically that way.
    All of which is to say, it's nice being able to network with people already in the field and to have the community, but don't expect a lot of activity and go in with the expectation that you'll get a job via an alumni.
  • Graduate
    - 7/14/2020
    fw192020  User Photo
    fw192020 • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    For me, the highlight of the Metis bootcamp was having top notch instructors who enjoy the material and are dedicated to sharing their data science knowledge. In fact, the Metis team overall (not just instructors, but also the TAs, program manager, career advisor, alums) as well as a high quality group of bootcamp colleagues together offer an amazing level of support through what is a very intense and fast-paced 12 weeks. Given the pandemic, we conducted the entire program online and it really went so smoothly. I was concerned with the ability to make connections and while it’s different than meeting in-person, it was still possible to develop genuine relationships. I highly recommend Metis to anyone with sincere interest in data science and is seeking a truly rewarding experience.
  • Elena Dubova  User Photo
    Elena Dubova • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    What makes a bootcamp great is the team who teaches and organizes it. Metis has an outstanding team of educators, who support and inspire you throughout an intense cycle of 5 projects. Career team is very professional, motivated to help, and is in possession of great deal of tools and connections to support you in career search. Wherever you are, this bootcamp pushes you to the next level. Curriculum is rigorous and challenging, but at the same time - a ton of fun. It is one of the most rewarding time and money investments I’ve made – absolutely worth it.
  • Jackson  User Photo
    Jackson • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    This bootcamp is an incredible mix between project-based learning and day-to-day lectures. The instructors were all incredibly interested in the students succeeding and understanding the material taught in the bootcamp. They always answered student questions thoroughly and thoughtfully, and spent the time to pay attention if students were with them, even in a virtual setting.
    Towards the middle and end of the bootcamp, career services really kicked in and helped with resumes, cvs, and mock interviews. Of course it's up to each student to reach out to employers and get connected, career services dishes out helpful advice that is helping me in my job search.
    I honestly highly recommend this bootcamp for those that want an intense 12 weeks of learning data science tools and concepts.
  • E. T. Drumm  User Photo
    E. T. Drumm • Student Verified via GitHub
    The only issue here is that the instructors tend to be so good that they end up rotating through to other jobs, but that didn't affect me. I got some really quality instructors who were super helpful and personable and I really enjoyed my time.
  • Good Overall
    - 5/25/2020
    Binh  User Photo
    Binh • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I took the Metis Beginner Python and Math for Data Science 6-week course from April to May 2020. The course is a good beginner course, and the instructor/TA care deeply about their students' success and making sure their questions are answered. There is so much material to cover in the course, and sometimes the amount of material can be overwhelming. For myself, it wasn't a big issue because I was already familiar with most of the material going into the course, but I can see other students perhaps becoming disillusioned.

I think the course materials, especially what is lectured on, could be more focused and supplementary material could be provided if the student wishes to delve deeper.

I found the instructor to be helpful and committed, but I did find her explanations at times to be imprecise, but I don't fault her too much because it's hard to remember all these concepts precisely.

The TA was helpful and responded to my questions almost immediately.

Overall, I think the course is good, but there are some things that could be polished as mentioned above.
  • Angela Huang  User Photo
    Angela Huang • Analytics Manager • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    There are so many thorough and thoughtful reviews already here for Metis, so I'll try to keep mine short and sweet.  Metis was the best option for me because I was looking to build out my technical skills (Python, statistics, etc.) to get the job that I wanted.  I tried self studying at first, but had trouble knowing what to focus on and staying motivated.  I moved from Europe to the Bay Area to attend Metis, where I met the most wonderful, intelligent, kind, and diverse group of humans in my cohort, the staff, and alumni.  This is a priceless network that I am still involved with and leveraging, and the people I met are now some of my closest friends.

The curriculum is thorough and the standards are high, but the instructors, teaching assistants, and your peers are there to support you throughout the program.  This program is what you make of it, so if you put in the motivation, effort, and positivity, you will reap the same in kind.  I'm happy to answer any questions about my personal Metis experience in more detail over LinkedIn, so feel free to reach out!
  • Michael Jordan  User Photo
    Michael Jordan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As an Air Force veteran looking to expand my data/tech skillset, I left my previous job hoping to find a program that not only provided a challenging learning environment, but also one that accepted Post-9/11 GI Bill tuition benefits and had experience training and working with veterans. Metis ended up fulfilling these criteria and exceeding my expectations in most ways.

Within New York, Metis stands as one of the few data science programs that is approved by the Department of Veteran Affairs for GI Bill funding due to its accreditation by ACCET. The Metis team also has a history of training vets and assisting them in finding employment after graduation (I was one of 2 vets in my cohort of ~20 students), and many of the Metis hiring partners have relatively strong veteran networks.

Outside of vet support, the approach to instruction, strength of the instructors (at the NY branch), and alumni network stand out as particular strengths of the program for me. It’s obvious that Metis incorporates many of the teaching techniques of its parent organization, Kaplan, in its approach to data science instruction. The program is almost entirely project based, with emphasis on collaborative learning through pair-programming sessions and blocks of unstructured time to work on projects and interact with TAs/instructors - if you’re serious about learning the material, the program gives you all the resources you need.

The instructors and TAs were generally outstanding - all very approachable, knowledgeable, and experienced in interacting with students at different skill levels. I also liked that the 3 instructors each seemed to complement each other in their teaching styles and areas of expertise within data science (I definitely had a personal preference in terms of which instructor I was most comfortable learning from, but being exposed to different styles was a benefit).

The alumni network seems particularly strong, with Metis grads at both high profile organizations and smaller start-ups. Generally speaking, there seems to be a generous culture of community/connection for grads. Many seem to remain active on a Metis alumni slack channel and from my recent experience, most have been quick to respond to requests to connect and network for job opportunities.

As a final thought, I should point out that my cohort transitioned to online learning for the final 2 weeks of the program due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Overall, the Metis team did a commendable job making the transition as painless/seamless as possible. The quality of instruction remained high and the team was flexible in its approach given concerns/challenges from students.

In summary, the program was a worthwhile experience and I’m happy to be part of the Metis community post graduation. Would recommend to anyone considering a data science program.
  • Excellent!
    - 4/18/2020
    Erik Kristofer Anderson  User Photo
    Erik Kristofer Anderson • Associate Data Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the 2020 winter cohort of the Metis Data Science Bootcamp.
    Short version: Excellent!

Medium version: Excellent but be prepared.

Long version:
    12 weeks of training for a data science job. Is this possible?

Yes, kind of. I acquired a data engineer position 3 weeks out from the bootcamp, and I know of at least two cohort-mates who are now employed, one as a data scientist and one as a data analyst. So, with a sample size of three, it's absolutely possible.

I certainly learned a ton in my 12 weeks at Metis. However, I relied on things I'd learned before the bootcamp to make the training optimally effective. In my case, that was a master's in chemistry from years ago, and a 4-month computer science certificate at Loyola University Chicago right before the bootcamp.

Obviously, I won't say you need this exactly, but you do need a certain level of math knowledge and programming ability to keep up. And the more you know in these areas, the more effective the bootcamp will be for you.

I don't believe it matters where you get that knowledge. Free MOOCs are a good place to start.

It's worth noting that the rigorous application process selects for people who have, in Metis' view, enough knowledge and skill to pass the program and get a data science job. And I think their view is accurate. Still, I believe you increase your chances of being hired quickly if you know more going into the bootcamp.

The career support is excellent, just be aware that the careers team is more responsive on an individual basis after you graduate. This isn't a bad thing - you'll be busy during the bootcamp and won't be putting your full attention to the job search until after you graduate - but I wish it had been made clear from the start. I have left that feedback with the bootcamp, so I expect there will be more clarity about that in the future.
    And I'll reiterate that, although the careers advisor was sometimes slow and inconsistent to respond during the bootcamp, they were 100% responsive and super helpful after I graduated - that's why I choose to give 5 stars for job report, despite that caveat.

The project-based nature of the curriculum is an excellent feature. It's where the rubber hits the road and you learn to use the tools in what is as close as possible to a professional environment. You will come out of the bootcamp feeling comfortable with the standard data science toolkit. And, when it comes to learning Git, there's nothing more instructive than surviving a few Git trainwrecks. (It's a long story - contact me if you're curious).

Given the current situation (for people from the future, we're in the COVID-19 epidemic), I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the bootcamp was required to go remote for the past two weeks of my cohort. Luckily, the Chicago branch of Metis had launched an online program at the start of January 2020, so they had ironed out all the kinks by the time the size of their online cohort tripled in week 10 of the bootcamp.

I mention this because Metis will be remote for a while at least, but I'm confident that it won't hamper them from giving an excellent experience and education.

If you'd like to ask any questions about Metis or resources to prepare for Metis, please feel free to reach out with a connection request on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/ekand/
  • Molly Liebeskind  User Photo
    Molly Liebeskind • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Overview: Metis exceeding my expectation. The program is designed to provide a holistic understanding of data science including machine learning, programming, statistical analysis, and data communication. Through five end-to-end machine learning projects, I developed skills in data acquisition, database management, exploratory data analysis, supervised and unsupervised learning, data visualization, natural language processing, and much more. The program set me up for a successful career and I received a job offer very quickly after graduating.

Instructors/support:
    * The instructors are eager to teach and help you understand the material. They offer instruction through classroom lectures, daily coding challenges, and one-on-one projects support. They are always available to dive deeper into a subject in one-one-one or small group conversations as needed and provided ample support to each student.
    * The career advisors ensure you are prepared for your job hunt with workshops, resume support, and one-on-one advising. Throughout the job application and interview process, they help you understand your strengths and provide coaching and opportunities to practice skills that you aren't as strong in.
    * The managing team is very helpful and curates the space for each cohort. With a large open area, ample tables and monitors, and a full kitchen, the space has everything you could need to be successful in bootcamp.

Preparation: From day one the program is intense and exciting. Prior to bootcamp, I participated in the pre-bootcamp training course to learn python and get a feel for machine learning and statistics. The pre course prepared me great for the bootcamp and set me up for a successful 12 weeks. Additional bonus, the $750 cost for that course is then deducted from the tuition of the bootcamp!

I strongly recommend Metis for anyone interested in transitioning to a career in data science.
  • Data Scientist
    - 3/20/2020
    Jacqueline Kuo  User Photo
    Jacqueline Kuo • Verified via LinkedIn
    Metis was an incredible experience, and exactly what I was looking for when I decided to leave my old job: I wanted a stronger statistical foundation in ML concepts, and a portfolio of end to end ML projects to speak to. The curriculum is focused on understanding and implementing ML using Python, and less focused on SQL or data visualization.

I attribute my amazing experience to the Metis teaching staff and my fellow classmates. Joe, Vinny, and Kim taught my course in New York and made the classes engaging, demonstrated extensive industry and academic knowledge on various data science topics, and showed genuine enthusiasm for helping students learn. I loved learning alongside my classmates who were intellectually curious, happy to nerd out about any sort of data science concept, and brought experiences from a wide range of industries. Some of my favorite parts of the bootcamp were conversations I had with classmates about project ideas and use cases -- I know I'll cherish the friendships made through the bootcamp for many years to come.

No job search is easy, but I felt equipped and ready to tackle job interviews with the support of Metis career advisors. Jennifer, who leads the careers team, gives direct and honest feedback during mock interviews, allowing you to be successful during the real interviews. However, getting job interviews can be more difficult for some than for others -- it all comes down to one's network and how well one's past experiences align with the job description. While the Metis Alumni Network is large, job opportunities still tended to come from existing networks rather than from the Metis network. For some of my classmates making a larger career switch, it seemed more difficult to get an initial interview for a data-related role.
  • Dan Roth  User Photo
    Dan Roth • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Metis is a great way to get started in the data industry and is equipped with strong resources for learning data science practices and networking.  I will say the standout strength is the instructors: incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, and well equipped to teach you what you need to know.  There are a few things to keep in mind however.  First, the mileage you get after graduating heavily depends on your work and educational experience before you apply.  If you have no experience in the data industry expect to get a role as an analyst or associate; if you have some related industry experience you may be able to reach for a data scientist role.  However, while most of the students are likely to fit into the former category, the curriculum is very heavy on data science and does not totally adapt well to a majority of analyst roles.  There's just not enough SQL, dashboarding, and other forms of analysis employed.  Curriculum weighs heavily on the machine learning side, which is something that you may be unlikely to encounter leaving the bootcamp.

Beyond the learning, I would say the organization overall is something like a 3.5/5.  While there are some standouts, it is obvious some of the career counselors and staff members are better than others and so you have to be careful about who you align yourself with.  The NYC location in particular has the strongest overall staff as it is the base of operations.  However, the local NYC administrator is weak and can be totally out of touch with student needs at times.  Thankfully, higher administration like Jason Moss are exemplary representatives of the organization and serve the students very well.  Just be wary of certain staff members, they are not all equally equipped to deliver the necessary communications and resources that students require.