helio-training-logo

Helio Training

Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Helio Training

Helio Training offers full-time and part-time Web App Development coding bootcamps in Salt Lake City, Utah. Helio Training was founded by Neumont University and aims to give students new, in-demand web development skills for the tech industry. The full-time program is 13 weeks, and the part-time program is 16 weeks, and both cover full-stack JavaScript, as well as career preparation – resume writing and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application.

Helio Training is an independent institution, but borrows from Neumont University’s experience in successfully training students to succeed in the tech industry. Courses at Helio Training are not eligible for college credit.

Recent Helio Training Reviews: Rating 4.15

all (61) reviews for Helio Training →

Recent Helio Training News

• Full-Stack Web App Development After-Hours (Career Changer)

AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationSalt Lake City
    This course is seperated into two different courses over a period of 22 weeks, part-time. Level 1 is 14 weeks and Level 2 is 8 weeks. This coding bootcamp covers full-stack JavaScript, as well as career preparation – resume writing and assistance, online profile and portfolio tips, and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application. The class schedule is Monday through Thursday from 6pm to 9pm.
    Financing available through SkillsFund
    Refund / GuaranteeWe have a Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee for those who qualify: receive a job offer in tech within 6 months of graduation or your tuition will be refunded in full.
    Scholarship$500-$1000 for qualifying students.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer skills
  • Full-Stack Web App Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, Mobile, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, REST, SQL
    LocationSalt Lake City
    The full-time 13-week bootcamp covers full-stack JavaScript as well as career preparation – resume writing and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application. Classes are Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
    Financing available through SkillsFund
    Refund / GuaranteeTuition Reimbursement Guarantee available to those who qualify.
    Scholarship$500-$1000 for qualifying students.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer skills
  • UI/UX Design - SLC

HTML, Git, Digital Marketing, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    LocationSalt Lake City
    User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX) designers are increasingly needed on all development teams. They don’t just know how to use the tools of digital design and development, they understand the underlying principles of design and user experience. They understand the theory behind social design, usability, interaction, and know how to implement designs using modern tools and software. The UI/UX designer is user-centered and adds value to an organization by designing experiences that users want. They conduct research and produce useful personas, scenarios, and design sketches. They prototype and iterate designs until they produce user interfaces and interactions that are worthy of placement in their professional portfolio. The modern UI/UX developer knows how to achieve great results using Photoshop, Illustrator, CSS, and Sketch. The skills you will gain from this course will help you advance your career in UI/UX and make you an invaluable member of a modern development team. Technologies Learned:  UI and UX principles  Design Systems  CSS within a Framework  User Research and Personas  Component-based systems  Prototyping  Figma or Sketch  Apple UI Principles  Material Design The course is held over a 14-week period. Classes are held Monday through Wednesday from 6 pm to 9 pm.
    Scholarship$500 for qualifying students
    Prep WorkPre-work provided upon enrollment.
  • Best in SLC
    - 6/2/2017

I just recently finished the Part-time Full-stack Web Development bootcamp with Helio.  It was a difficult but rewarding course.  I had very little coding experience prior to Helio and with an amazing instructor, mentors in the class, and all of the tools they gave me; I was able to grasp the concepts and execute a full stack web application.  I am confinent that I will be able to get a job.  The connection to Neumont University has been a huge advantage!  I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who is serious about learning to code and wants a career.  My only caution would be that you better be ready to do the work.

• Totally worth it!
    - 3/24/2017
    Anonymous • Developer • Student

This bootcamp has been great!  My instructors know the subject matter and I can have my questions answered anytime I ask.  Make no mistake - this bootcamp is hard and you absolutely have to put in the work.  But I'm finding my education at Helio to be extremely valuable.  When I see industry surveys and read web development articles, I can tell the Helio curriculum has been crafted to match up with the very best, current industry practices.

If you want to be a web developer, there is simply no substitute for practice.  Now that I practice coding so much, I'm able to ask very specific questions in class and this is also improving my ability to find answers online.  In fact, that is one of the key skills I've learned - how to find answers through online documentation, example code, and forums.

Overall, I rate this a great experience and I am confident I will be able to upgrade my employment based on my newly acquired skills and knowledge.  Helio is very willing to do everything possible to help me find a new job, so I'm not worried about that.  My advice to others is to come take a Helio bootcamp - but only if you are serious about working hard and practicing your coding.  If you put in the effort, it will totally worth it and you will certainly be rewarded!

I started Helio Training with the hopes of becoming a web developer. I understood that the hard work, sacrifice and determination needed to complete the assignments and contribute to class work was going to be so much more than I imagined. So I studied, practiced coding and attended class everyday ( whether via Zoom or in class).

So far I don't feel like Helio is really worth it. It's part time instructor is incompetent. The course material has been rewritten a few times, and according to the syllabus there's no way we are going to get done in time to complete our projects. We've spent too much time in class talking about things that don't matter rather than working. I put in all this time studying and practicing and I get to class and it doesn't even matter because we're likely not going to focus on the material we're being paid to learn. Overall I feel like Helio just isn't quite there yet. Pass on this one and find yourself something better.

Thursday, Mar 23 2017
    Thank you for sharing your concerns. We welcome all feedback
    to help us improve Helio. It’s apparent you’re dedicated to learning web
    development. But it is a difficult thing to do, particularly part-time while
    balancing a full-time life. We always want to improve our courses both in the
    content they provide and the way the courses are structured. If you would like,
    you may share your concerns with any member of the Helio staff in-person or at info@heliotraining.com

Helio Training bootcamps are not easy. You don't go from were I was to a full web developer in a couple months by taking it easy, but the instructors and staff are willing to do what ever they can to help you succeed. All you have to do is be willing to ask for help.

The curriculum is very different than other courses and requires a lot of personal work. They expect you to take your learning in your own hands and take the time to practice and ask for help if you don't understand. But if you struggle through it you end up not only knowing about code, but actually how to code, how you like to code, and which rescources you prefer to use. You come out of a Helio Training bootcamp not as a cookie cutter developer, but an professional with your own way of doing things. And you know how to find answers when you run into problems with your code.

The instructor was very willing to spend time outside of class to help me understand and execute difficult concepts. And all the instructors they hire are industy experts who have actually worked in the industry. No boot camp student teachers at Helio.

And while some bootcamps only provide career services and portfollio building for their part timers Helio does it for all their courses, even the online ones.

Overall, a difficult but worthwile experience.

I'm reading all these reviews and I really don't understand where the negativity is coming from.  I'm learning a ton in my class and disagree with statements about how Helio represents Neumont or how instruction is not organized.  The teachers are clearly experts and they clearly care about our learning.  I love the personal approach and feel like everyone at Helio wants each of us to succeed.  We have feedback in the form of competencies that are marked off so we can see our progress.  The class is very fast paced but I wouldn't want it to slow down, there's so much to learn in a short time period so it has to be fast.  I would definitely recommend Helio to others. But only if you're serious and willing to spend the time on all the work. Like I said, it is very fast paced.

• Anonymous • Junior Developer • Graduate

I would recommend this bootcamp if you are looking for a challenge and really want to learn the full stack.  The instructors are absolute experts in the field, and it is great that they know some much.  The facilities are excellent and it is great to be downtown, with so much so close.  Helio exceeded my expectations.  I have to say that I observed that the most successful students in the first cohort were students that completed the assignment and spent time out of class practicing what was beeing taught.  This bootcamp is not for the faint of heart, or for someone who is not up for the challenge.  I would highly recommend if you are willing to work and be taught high-end full stack JavaScript.  The staff was very helpful and friendly.  I found that the career service help, resume building and seminars were also very helpful. I would recommend to anyone and everyone!

• Anonymous • Developer II • Student

I'm already a developer, but I've been stuck with old school projects for forever.  I'm finally working with a newer project so I took this class to brush up on angular and nodeJS. If you already know anything about coding, avoid Helios. The course was so basic that it was hardly worthwhile. Glad my employer paid for it, ha ha!

Not sure why they do this, but they were always talking about Neumont University and how Helios is the bootcamp version of it. It was confusing, like is Helio just a condensed version of Neumont or is it really for people like me who are just needing some skills updated? Honestly all their talk about Neumont just makes Neumont look bad.  Made it look like Helio was the kid brother trying super hard to measure up, lol.

I should mention that the instructors were great guys and knew a lot.  I think they were just given low quality junk to teach. Overall, my "bootcamp" (bootcamp? wut?) was just really disorganized and soooo painfully basic. I'd skip Helio and consider one of the many other options out there.

Thank you for your feedback! Helio Training is a sister
    company to Neumont University. This relationship can be a little bit confusing,
    but at the end of the day Helio is its own organization that looks to Neumont
    for guidance on teaching software development in a hands-on, project-based
    environment. Helio has developed coding bootcamps primarily to help people
    transition into the tech industry. These courses can also help someone already
    in the industry like you upgrade their skills. We’re glad you were impressed
    with our instructors. They are passionate about web development and are dedicated
    to their students. Since you took this course, we have added more structure to
    the curriculum that should provide a more robust experience for software
    developers at all levels.

Have really enjoyed Helio. Very grateful that they put this program together. Was heavily looking at other camps, but am very pleased with my decision to try out the new program with Helio. Would definitely recommend.

Pros: The instructors' experience is invaluable. Many bootcamps focus on relevant, but older standards (Angular). The instructors at Helio have an incredible scope of cutting edge industry standards (Redux, Polymer, node.js API's, Docker Containers). They also teach the latest updates and the purpose behind the build for programs like Angular. There are pros and con to both styles, but entering the industry through Helio will make you incredibly valuable to a forward thinking employer.

Cons: The material covered is not as 'fun' as front end dev camps. It is like looking at the outside and inside of a car, or looking at the paint job vs the engine. Helio teaches how everything runs and how to make it run better so your employer can sleep at night. Not as flashy, but extremely valuable. Also not so much a con, but could be if expectations are wrong.

I personally recommend that applicants understand the scope of the course so they can set correct expectations. The focus of the course is not to teach how to make a website look good (front end), but how to make it run well. It focuses much more on website operation and interaction with API's and databases, and crafting testable code. Also expect to do research outside of class if you are new. You have to do the precourse work. I came in never having built a website and had to spend an hour or so a night going over the covered material.

Would definitely recommend to anyone with the dedication to learn difficult material. Incredibly rewarding to go from nothing to building website functions in just a few weeks.

• Full stack web dev
    - 2/27/2017
    Anonymous • Frontend Dev • Student

I've been to a couple other coding bootcamps in the area over the past 5 years, and I am not impressed with Helio. I feet like the teacher doesn't really want to be here, and (despite what their website says) definitely isn't passionate about coding. Seems really annoyed whenever someone in the class doesn't understand something. I agree with what's already been said about the weak learning materials as well.  On the positive side, the facility is nice and located close to where I work.

With so many other solid dev bootcamps in the SLC area, don't waste your time with Helio. It is a new program, but they are really struggling with the easy stuff.

Thank you for sharing your experience with Helio. We’re
    always looking to improve our courses and the student experience. We are
    passionate about web development; it’s unfortunate that we have given a different
    impression. We are working to improve and making changes now.

• Anonymous • Developer • Student

Instructors were very smart and capable. They were always able to answer all of my questions and had great tips throughout the program.

Other than the instructors, it's obvious that this is a new, untested program. The curriculum was really poorly designed, with significant portions copy/pasted from other websites without crediting/referencing the actual author (illegal). The flow of the classroom work was disjointed and there were constant problems with the wi-fi and classroom tech. All the employees were super nice, but it seemed like they didn't really know what to when someone asked them a question. Overall, it felt pretty amatuer. Just not ready for prime time yet.

Would not recommend.

Friday, Feb 17 2017
    Thank you for sharing your experience with Helio Training. We’re happy to hear that you found the instructors smart and capable. Helio is a relatively new program; we opened our doors in 2016. And although we’re proud of our coding bootcamps, we’re always looking to improve them. It’s
    unfortunate that the instructors did not give accurate representations of where the
    information came from throughout the course. We appreciate your feedback on this matter and will share it with our team as we continue to improve our software development courses.

• Anonymous • unemployed • Graduate

The course was good and provided opportunities to interact with classmates.  The individual project was very useful at the end in tying all of the class material together. The school provides teaching assistants as well as the instructor to assist you with questions.

• Anonymous • Executive Assistant • Graduate

As part of the very first Helio Class, it was an experience for us all. There were a few hiccups with the direction of the curriculum, but overall it was a great experience. The instructors are great, very knowledgable with the latest industry trends and helpful making sure no one gets left behind. The student mentors on the other hand could use a little more guidance and motivation to interact and assist the students in the class better. The career placement assistance was a little too basic for me, and below my expectations.

My only regret is that I wish the curriculum and program had been more structured and defined before the first class began.