Helio Training is an independent institution, but borrows from Neumont University’s experience in successfully training students to succeed in the tech industry. Courses at Helio Training are not eligible for college credit.
Recent Helio Training Reviews: Rating 4.05
Recent Helio Training News
In PersonPart Time12 Hours/week22 Weeks
Deposit $100 Financing Refund / Guarantee We have a Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee for those who qualify: receive a job offer in tech within 6 months of graduation or your tuition will be refunded in full. Scholarship $500-$1000 for qualifying students.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer skills Placement Test No Interview Yes
In PersonFull Time45 Hours/week13 Weeks
Deposit $100 Financing Refund / Guarantee Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee available to those who qualify. Scholarship $500-$1000 for qualifying students.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer skills Placement Test No Interview Yes
- CSS, Design, Digital Marketing, Front End, Git, HTML, User Experience Design
In PersonPart Time9 Hours/week14 Weeks
Start Date None scheduled Cost $5,100 Class size N/A Location Salt Lake CityUser Interface and User Experience (UI/UX) designers are increasingly needed on all development teams. They don’t just know how to use the tools of digital design and development, they understand the underlying principles of design and user experience. They understand the theory behind social design, usability, interaction, and know how to implement designs using modern tools and software. The UI/UX designer is user-centered and adds value to an organization by designing experiences that users want. They conduct research and produce useful personas, scenarios, and design sketches. They prototype and iterate designs until they produce user interfaces and interactions that are worthy of placement in their professional portfolio. The modern UI/UX developer knows how to achieve great results using Photoshop, Illustrator, CSS, and Sketch. The skills you will gain from this course will help you advance your career in UI/UX and make you an invaluable member of a modern development team. Technologies Learned: UI and UX principles Design Systems CSS within a Framework User Research and Personas Component-based systems Prototyping Figma or Sketch Apple UI Principles Material Design The course is held over a 14-week period. Classes are held Monday through Wednesday from 6 pm to 9 pm.
Deposit 100 Financing Scholarship $500 for qualifying students
Minimum Skill Level N/A Prep Work Pre-work provided upon enrollment. Placement Test No Interview Yes
Helio Training Reviews
64 reviews sorted by:
- Helio Training Review- 1/30/2018Edmundo Rubio • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web App Development After-Hours (Career Changer) • Campus: Salt Lake City
Helio Training help me to became a developer, I study web-development by my self for few months, but I always feel like there is something missing, and I did not see my self as a developer, I took the part-time after-hours class, and that was great, now I wonder how much more I could learn and evolve if I had enrolled in the Full-Time-Immersive class.
I'm a person that I can study by myself and learn, but sometimes after reading the documentation and coding the examples, I feel that I understand 95% but there is an extra 5% where I need a little guidance, and there is where the expertise, & experience of the teachers are invaluable.
The teachers are able to code live in front of the students and pause to answer questions that students might have, delivering a more strong understanding that what can be gain by watching coding videos.
Overall is a great place to learn, improve your coding skills, and bring them to a level where you feel confident to submit an application for a Web-Developer position, knowing that when the interview comes you can handle it.
- mischris • Software Developer • Student • Course: Full-Stack Web App Development After-Hours (Career Changer) • Campus: Salt Lake City
I had never had any experience with coding, whatsoever, and was recently promoted to a Jr. Developer within my company. Helio was the perfect place to launch me into an exciting new career!
They provided a ton of pre-work, before the class even began, to get me familiar with concepts, languages, etc. Once I started class, it went a little too fast paced for me, so I did a lot of work outside of the class so that I didn't feel so behind others that were more familiar with everything. The great thing about Helio is the teachers and the mentors. They encourage questions to be asked so that they have a better understanding where the class is at and can re-visit topics or keep to the pace of the class.
There is no possible way for them to teach you everything there is to learn in the time allotted, so a lot of it has to come from researching and practicing outside of the classroom. This is a MUST! I echo what a previous reviewer said, in that "You get out of it what you put into it". All sessions are recorded and can be watched and followed again at home (I did a lot of this), but attendance is also taken so don't think you don't have to attend. They provide homework assignments for practice as well, and again, they encourage questions! The instructors are truly vested in their students.
Not only do they provide instruction, they also have an amazing career department that does everything they can to help you succeed. Everything from helping with your resume, to mock interviews, to LinkedIn profile advice. This is definitely a place that sincerely wants to see you succeed!
- Amazing People to Work with.- 12/20/2017Keller Beckstead • Student • Course: Full-Stack Web App Development Immersive • Campus: Salt Lake City
- Full Stack Web Development- 11/25/2017Mike Greene • Student • Course: Full Stack Web Development ONLINE • Campus: Salt Lake City
- Great Bootcamp- 11/22/2017Dakota Ruller • HTML & CSS developer • Student • Course: Full-Stack Web App Development After-Hours (Career Changer) • Campus: Salt Lake City
- S. Perry • Student • Campus: Salt Lake City
I participated in the full-time 'immersive' class at Helio and found the class to be very beneficial in jump-starting my new career as a developer. The course is structured well and includes some of the latest technologies to get you started quickly in the industry. The syllabus is always being considered and revised to keep up to date with the demands of the market, which you can take advantage of up to a year after you graduate.
The instructors at Helio are knowledgeable and cover more than just the how-to of coding, they also spend time discussing career services, how to write your resume for a job in tech, and even assist with mock-interviews.
I would definitely recommend Helio to anyone interested in learning how to be a developer.
- Full Stack Part time- 9/20/2017Teresa Walatka • Jr. Developer • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web App Development After-Hours (Career Changer) • Campus: Salt Lake City
- This is a great education- 5/18/2017James • Developer • Student • Course: Full-Stack Web App Development Immersive • Campus: Salt Lake City
- Student, Full Time, Full Stack- 5/10/2017Bradley Hain • Principal Quality Assurance Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web App Development Immersive • Campus: Salt Lake City
- Full Time Full Stack Course- 3/23/2017Tanner • Student • Course: Full-Stack Web App Development Immersive • Campus: Salt Lake City
As far as career services go they have a full time person who works with Neumont students and Helio students to help with resumes, linkedin, job searching and anything you could ask for as far as finding a new job and they are very helpful.
Overall it has been a challenging, fun and worthwhile experience and I would recommend it to anyone willing to put in the work!
- Super Course! Helio Training for the Win!- 2/1/2017Scott • Senior CVD Process Owner/Systems Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full-Stack Web App Development After-Hours (Career Changer) • Campus: Salt Lake City
- After Hours Course 1- 4/28/2020Anonymous • StudentI've never written a review that was less than positive for any company - but feel like my experience might be helpful when someone is considering which bootcamp to attend.
I did not have a good experience with Helio - and count the $5k I used to take the first class a loss.
For context: I took the full -Stack web development after hours course in 2019 (It's taken me awhile to get up the nerve to post a review)
Here are some of the main issues that kind ruined the experience for me:
2. ENROLLMENT: I did my research when looking at companies, and Helio's after hours class was a candidate, but I didn't commit until I talked to the enrollment counselor. Looking back, I feel mislead by what was told to me that tipped me off in the direction of going with Helio. He stated that there was a set curriculum for each course that all instructors follow (not the case for my class) and that Helio was connected with an "adult learning" company so the pedagogy would work well for those working full time and taking the class after hours. There are so many online courses for free, but I wanted a structured environment where I could work with others.
3. KEY CARD: I was unable to get into the building for the class for three weeks. This was very frustrating and had resorted to waiting outside the front doors of the building hoping someone would let me in before the class began. I emailed (and have copies of all the emails mentioned) to ask for a key card after the instructor and the instructors assistant were unable to provide one after two weeks. I was told it was going to come soon, and still waited another week for access to the building. It's a small but rather crucial thing to be able to get to the classroom, and I didn't appreciate feeling like it was a bit of a wild goose chase to get in.
4. OVERPROMISING and UNDERDELIVERING: While I could tell that all the students in the class were working hard - there was a dramatic and very clear difference between what was being taught and where the class was at. I was told over and over again that this was normal and expected, but it got to a point that, when told to 'work with a partner' the room fell silent because no-one knew how to do what was being asked. After I called and talked with the leadership at Helio several times, a person was sent into the classroom to ask how it was going (with the instructor gone). The feeling in the room was palpably tense and there was ALOT that people had to say, none of it positive. The Person sent in did a great job hearing all the comments, but then NOTHING changed in the actual class. Really disappointing. On the outset, it was expected that everyone do 20 hours a week outside of class (which I know not everyone did, But even when I DID put in all that extra time, it was impossible to keep up) I feel like Helio should either decrease what they are promising students will learn, or standardize the lessons so every class learns the same things and they get a better sense for pacing. There were also different "homework assignments" being given by the assistant and the instructor and there didn't seem to be any way to figure out which ones do do.
5. PRESSURE to INVEST MORE: From the beginning, I was asked to sign up (and pay for) two classes. The after Hours 1 and 2 together are 10K. I chose to take the first class (5K) and see if it worked for me before investing more. When I was unhappy with my experience, I was told several times that I could "Retake" the class for free. That was reassuring, as I thought I could just deal with a crappy situation first time around, and take the class again in the fall.
6. DECEPTION about REPEAT POLICY: However, when I asked to repeat the class halfway through the first one (knowing I would need the chance to revisit the curriculum before moving onto advanced material) I was told I had to pay for the second class (ANOTHER 5k) before I was allowed to take the first one over again. I have IN WRITING from the people at Helio that this was NOT in the fine print. However, on the phone it was a different story and by this point I was so thoroughly frustrated with the company I didn't know if I wanted to spent any more time interacting with them.
From the beginning, I was clear and consistent in my communication with Helio, and I feel that I didn't receive clarity or consistency in return. I made multiple calls and probably spoke with every person on the team at some point (first to get my key card for the building, then when classmates started dropping out of the class because of curriculum mismatch, I spoke with several people in the company).
After I was told I couldn't retake the class (which is one of their big selling points, at least when I enrolled) I asked for a refund and was denied (also another selling point.)
I would recommend Helio continue what they are trying to do, but clean up their act with how they treat students/customers. I would ask for integrity in what they promise and suggest that anyone looking to take a bootcamp consider what I've experienced. I know that many learning programs have their pro's and con's (that's actually my line of work, structuring and administering educational material) and even with a wide berth, this company failed to deliver.
I would still appreciate a refund.