helio-training-logo

Helio Training

Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Helio Training

Helio Training offers full-time and part-time Web App Development coding bootcamps in Salt Lake City, Utah. Helio Training was founded by Neumont University and aims to give students new, in-demand web development skills for the tech industry. The full-time program is 13 weeks, and the part-time program is 16 weeks, and both cover full-stack JavaScript, as well as career preparation – resume writing and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application.

Helio Training is an independent institution, but borrows from Neumont University’s experience in successfully training students to succeed in the tech industry. Courses at Helio Training are not eligible for college credit.

Recent Helio Training Reviews: Rating 4.05

all (64) reviews for Helio Training →

Recent Helio Training News

• Full-Stack Web App Development After-Hours (Career Changer)

JavaScript, MongoDB, AngularJS, CSS, HTML, jQuery, Node.js, React.js, Git, Front End
    LocationSalt Lake City
    This course is seperated into two different courses over a period of 22 weeks, part-time. Level 1 is 14 weeks and Level 2 is 8 weeks. This coding bootcamp covers full-stack JavaScript, as well as career preparation – resume writing and assistance, online profile and portfolio tips, and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application. The class schedule is Monday through Thursday from 6pm to 9pm.
    Financing available through SkillsFund
    Refund / GuaranteeWe have a Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee for those who qualify: receive a job offer in tech within 6 months of graduation or your tuition will be refunded in full.
    Scholarship$500-$1000 for qualifying students.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer skills
  • Full-Stack Web App Development Immersive

JavaScript, AngularJS, MongoDB, CSS, Front End, HTML, jQuery, MySQL, Node.js, React.js, Ruby, Mobile, Design, Express.js, Git, REST, SQL
    LocationSalt Lake City
    The full-time 13-week bootcamp covers full-stack JavaScript as well as career preparation – resume writing and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application. Classes are Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
    Financing available through SkillsFund
    Refund / GuaranteeTuition Reimbursement Guarantee available to those who qualify.
    Scholarship$500-$1000 for qualifying students.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer skills
  • UI/UX Design - SLC

CSS, Design, Digital Marketing, Front End, Git, HTML, User Experience Design
    LocationSalt Lake City
    User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX) designers are increasingly needed on all development teams. They don’t just know how to use the tools of digital design and development, they understand the underlying principles of design and user experience. They understand the theory behind social design, usability, interaction, and know how to implement designs using modern tools and software. The UI/UX designer is user-centered and adds value to an organization by designing experiences that users want. They conduct research and produce useful personas, scenarios, and design sketches. They prototype and iterate designs until they produce user interfaces and interactions that are worthy of placement in their professional portfolio. The modern UI/UX developer knows how to achieve great results using Photoshop, Illustrator, CSS, and Sketch. The skills you will gain from this course will help you advance your career in UI/UX and make you an invaluable member of a modern development team. Technologies Learned:  UI and UX principles  Design Systems  CSS within a Framework  User Research and Personas  Component-based systems  Prototyping  Figma or Sketch  Apple UI Principles  Material Design The course is held over a 14-week period. Classes are held Monday through Wednesday from 6 pm to 9 pm.
    Scholarship$500 for qualifying students
    Prep WorkPre-work provided upon enrollment.
  • UI/UX DESIGN
    - 7/23/2019
    Hayden Couch • Graduate
    Absolute SCAM - would give zero stars if I could - do not enroll at Helio, go anywhere else. I took their "ux design" "course" and it could not have been more unorganized - the instructor could not have been more scatterbrained & would come to class with no agenda or cancel class moving it to an online lecture. This is copy & pasted from the description of the course on their website: "In this course, you will gain an understanding of the theory behind social design, usability, and interaction. Additionally, you’ll learn how to implement designs using modern tools and software. You’ll learn by doing as you conduct research and produce useful personas, scenarios, and design sketches in this part-time course. Then, you’ll prototype and iterate your designs until you produce user interfaces and interactions that are worthy of placement in your professional portfolio. " I or anyone else who took this course will tell you that this is an absolute lie. Nothing promised was ever done in class - I am no closer to being a ux designer than I was before. The only thing taught by the instructor to us was HTML & Bootstrap - which was literally not even in the description of the class when I signed up (and not to mention, would just be a nice extra thing to know as a ux designer - the ux design process was never taught in this class) So much time & money was wasted - me and my classmates have all gone to the president David Preece & explained the situation in full detail & have all received the same canned response. David could not care any less - he's gotten his money, so he's happy. "No refunds, you can take the course again" - not to mention, the instructor is still working at Helio teaching multiple courses, so they're obviously satisfied with his work. Please just save yourself from this - you would get just as much - if not more - out of watching YouTube tutorials & doing free online courses to try & learn how to be a UX designer. I'm disgusted at how little we were taught in this course & I can't believe how much money was scammed out of all of us.
  • Fast pace course
    Shane jacobson • Student

If you really are hungry to learn then I suggest Helio's full time 3 month course. The course is intense but with the immersive approach you learn so much. They really focus on teaching you how to learn and advance in coding. They have a full time job services instructor that helps you prepare your resume and find the job that works for you. It is definitely a course where you will get out of it what you put into it.

Austin Peterson • Programmer • Student

Helio was a great experience! The teachers and mentors are extremely helpful. The career service guides they offer gave me great pointers to secure my position. I'm extremely happy with my entire experience.

Laura Coombs • Student

Helio is one of the best decisions that I have ever made. I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to attend here. The schools sole focus is the students. The course curriculum is built to force you to grow and progress. I have never been so challenged  in my life. It is frustrating and it is hard but the teachers and mentors and advisors all believe in the process and they believe in the students. No matter how hard it gets. I have learned more than I ever thought possible and I have grown more than I knew I could. Go talk to them. Check it out :)

• Daniel Zimmerman • Graduate

Helio Training provided a great atmosphere for learning full-stack web development. I picked Helio based on the culture of the faculty and their guarantee of a job within 6 months. I really enjoyed the staff, mentors, and the director of academics. He helped to expose us to lots of the current best practices and trends in web development technology to help us to be valuable in the industry. Much of the time spent at Helio was working in a group atmosphere and trying to build out a group project. I loved the group I was in!

Helio is a great fit for you if you are the type that can go out and research and self learn. It really depends a lot on your preferred learning style and your drive and passion to be successful. Some people like a more structured learning environment, while others like the freedom to explore and learn for themselves. The good thing at Helio, is they have different instructors for whatever fits your schedule or style. They have great instructors for the immersive and after-hours class. When choosing, I would ask about the teaching style of the instructor of the course you will take to make sure it matches with the way you learn and your expectations.

Helio also has built-in career-service workshops that are super helpful for making your resume stand out and preparing you for interviews. I was able to do two mock interviews with an employee at PluralSight who gave me great feedback and helped boost my confidence. I really appreciated that!

One challenge that I faced that many bootcampers face at any bootcamp is landing that first job after the bootcamp is over.  I had expectations that it would be a relatively smooth transition in a job and that the industry was really seeking out graduates from bootcamps, however, many companies in the industry are not at the point. There was a real struggle to land that first job (91 applications over 2 1/2 months), but eventually I did and I'm so happy I made this choice. Thanks Helio Training!

• My Helio Family
    - 8/30/2018
    William Cottam • Software Engineer • Graduate

As I was researching bootcamps in the Salt Lake area, I stumbled upon an ad from Helio Training. After looking into their bootcamp further and meeting with Matt from Admissions, I felt like it would be a good fit for me and my family. The 13 weeks I spent at the bootcamp was a crazy roller coaster of emotions, but in the end, I am so grateful to the administration and staff for the way they conducted themselves. It is not an easy 13 weeks, but I promise if you come willing to work hard and put your heart into it, it is so worth it. The education I received at Helio Training has put me on a path to not only help my family, but also all those around us. The staff at Helio care and I thank them for that! You won't regret becoming part of the Helio family.

• Trust the Process!
    - 7/12/2018
    Josh R. • Student

One of the main reasons I picked Helio over other Bootcamp courses was their willingness to answer all of my questions (no matter how rediculous my questions seemed) over the phone instead of just telling me to read their curriculum. They made me feel like they valued me as a potential student. Once the class started it was rough because they really focus heavily on you actually coding. (So sitting there struggling for 30mins trying to accomplish a simple task, instead of you copying the code that they are writing in their lectures) I can honestly say that you will learn more by struggling with a simple task than copying elaborate code.  If you lack any sort of initiative you will fall behind and become very discouraged. Like the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink". If you trust the instructors and really give it 110% effort you'll come out with a lot to show for. They do an amazing job teaching you the fundamentals and showing you amazing resources for you to go and learn more on your own. They really stress "Teaching you how to Learn" instead of being a code monkey. Also, their Career Services is great at what they do. They cover everything from resumes, cleaning up your LinkedIn pages, Tech Interviews, and how to advertise yourself! In Summary, If you trust their process ( I mean really TRUST it!!! it can become very discouraging and you will feel like you aren't learning anything at times) and give it 110% you won't be disappointed in your decision to go with Helio.

• Steve S. • Digital Media Manager • Graduate

The facility was nice and modern and the staff were always willing to help and very friendly. The teachers know what they are talking about and are professionals in the field. In-class mentors are very helpful and often recent graduates of the program, so they understand what current students are going through and can help solve problems. I really have no complaints with the course other than the curriculum was a little all over the place. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would have had an easier time learning HTML, CSS, and JS first and then moving on to react and CRUD operations.  But they have a unique challenge in cramming all of the content in to a very short timeframe, so working out the bugs and having a smooth running class will take a little trial and error.  Overall a great experience and I learned a ton! It is definitely overwhelming, but you should understand that before getting involved in a bootcamp learning environment. It isn't a magic solution to getting a higher paying job, you need to be willing to put in a ton of hard work.  I plan on using this work to strengthen my UX/UI portfolio.

• Steve Saunders • Digital Media Manager • Graduate

A full stack development course.  From the basics of JS, HTML, and CSS to more complicated topics like DB management and creation, and REACT.

• Clint Mossman • Student

I just went this past winter for the part time class. And the projects, curiculum, and teachers broke the class.

It was good at first when everything started off and was new, but classes got more in depth and things projects and homework didn't help me learn anything.

Eventually the curriculum was so thin, that in class would end short or we would spend half an hour at a time just sitting there. I've self-taught myself and I thought having mentors would help.

Usually the teachers would all congregate around one desk and talk about sports or stuff and weren't super helpful. We did 3 half finished projects that they didn't really check or keep you accounted, or spent time on.

Overall, just be ready to take what you can from it, but just understand, even though you may not pay as much for other places that do bootcamps, you won't probably get the same grade of projects either.

• Manny • Graduate

My review of Helio is that just like everything else in life you get out what you put in. Learning to be a Developer is not easy, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication but will be worth it in the end. If you are thinking about doing a boot camp just know that if you are not willing to put in the work no bootcamp will meet your expectations.

I worked with Matt from admissions and felt lucky to have him help me through the sign up process. I think I looked at most if not all boot camps in the sate and was not pressured or made to feel like I had to sign up for this boot camp vs any others that I was looking at which was refreshing.

A few reasons why I chose Helio over others were the cirricullum, I wanted to be able to learn the latest technologies available. After going through the course I realize that there are advantages and disatvantages to both. There are still a lot of jobs that use the older technologies so even if you learn those your skills are still in demand.

I felt like the price was fair, a lot of other boot camps cost more and/or have options to share income once you have a job but plan on a total of 30% of your income over 2 years. I found that is the most common. If you factor that in you may pay nothing for the camp intitially but you end up paying close to $30k when It is all said and done. Currently Helio is 1/3 of that which is a huge difference.

Once last thing is that the entire staff really cares about you and your journey. You are not just a number at Helio and it shows. If you feel like something is not going like you would like or anticipated their doors are always open and everyone is willing to help to the best of their abilities.

• Mike Sommerkorn • Full-Stack Web Development Immersive • Graduate

I am 51 years old (no really I am) and I took this course (really 51 no joke) and it was the BEST thing I ever did.

From start to finish It was great, from talking to Matt to last day of class everyone that works for Helio Training has one thing in mind, your success.

The instructors and mentor were always willing to help and knew there stuff. I mean really knew it.

I went into this with no knowledge at all as did most of the other students and now I can and in the middle of writing a program from front to back (and the little fun bits in between) keeping in mind that there is still a lot to learn.

I take this quote from some one I know and is a good friend only because I cant say it any better than she has:

“you get out of this what you put in to it, so show up, participate, make mistakes, engage your fellow students, and learn to love the process.  It is very challenging, but very rewarding if you stick with it.

Helio's Full Stack Web Development bootcamp is for anyone, of any age, who wants to level up in life.  “

T. B. Chavez

If you are reading this review you are thinking about it. If you are thinking about it then just make the phone call, What can it hurt?