helio-training-logo

Helio Training

Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Helio Training

Helio Training offers full-time and part-time Web App Development coding bootcamps in Salt Lake City, Utah. Helio Training was founded by Neumont University and aims to give students new, in-demand web development skills for the tech industry. The full-time program is 13 weeks, and the part-time program is 16 weeks, and both cover full-stack JavaScript, as well as career preparation – resume writing and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application.

Helio Training is an independent institution, but borrows from Neumont University’s experience in successfully training students to succeed in the tech industry. Courses at Helio Training are not eligible for college credit.

Recent Helio Training Reviews: Rating 4.15

all (61) reviews for Helio Training →

Recent Helio Training News

• Full-Stack Web App Development After-Hours (Career Changer)

AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationSalt Lake City
    This course is seperated into two different courses over a period of 22 weeks, part-time. Level 1 is 14 weeks and Level 2 is 8 weeks. This coding bootcamp covers full-stack JavaScript, as well as career preparation – resume writing and assistance, online profile and portfolio tips, and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application. The class schedule is Monday through Thursday from 6pm to 9pm.
    Financing available through SkillsFund
    Refund / GuaranteeWe have a Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee for those who qualify: receive a job offer in tech within 6 months of graduation or your tuition will be refunded in full.
    Scholarship$500-$1000 for qualifying students.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer skills
  • Full-Stack Web App Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, Mobile, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, REST, SQL
    LocationSalt Lake City
    The full-time 13-week bootcamp covers full-stack JavaScript as well as career preparation – resume writing and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application. Classes are Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
    Financing available through SkillsFund
    Refund / GuaranteeTuition Reimbursement Guarantee available to those who qualify.
    Scholarship$500-$1000 for qualifying students.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer skills
  • UI/UX Design - SLC

HTML, Git, Digital Marketing, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    LocationSalt Lake City
    User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX) designers are increasingly needed on all development teams. They don’t just know how to use the tools of digital design and development, they understand the underlying principles of design and user experience. They understand the theory behind social design, usability, interaction, and know how to implement designs using modern tools and software. The UI/UX designer is user-centered and adds value to an organization by designing experiences that users want. They conduct research and produce useful personas, scenarios, and design sketches. They prototype and iterate designs until they produce user interfaces and interactions that are worthy of placement in their professional portfolio. The modern UI/UX developer knows how to achieve great results using Photoshop, Illustrator, CSS, and Sketch. The skills you will gain from this course will help you advance your career in UI/UX and make you an invaluable member of a modern development team. Technologies Learned:  UI and UX principles  Design Systems  CSS within a Framework  User Research and Personas  Component-based systems  Prototyping  Figma or Sketch  Apple UI Principles  Material Design The course is held over a 14-week period. Classes are held Monday through Wednesday from 6 pm to 9 pm.
    Scholarship$500 for qualifying students
    Prep WorkPre-work provided upon enrollment.
  • Dissapointed
    - 4/30/2018
    Blu  User Photo
    Blu • Student Verified via GitHub

If I could turn back time, I think I would have chosen the bootcamp in my home state of Colorado instead of coming out to Utah for this bootcamp. There are issue that this bootcamp has to address starting with misleading things I was told during the initial phone conversations I had with an advisor. I was told that this bootcamp had connections and networks in Denver, that they are connected to Neumont University and have access to their alumni network and career services, however that was not true and I found out too late. As far as instruction, it is good, but you have to spend a lot of time on ypur own to study. I also notice that the mentor and teacher are not available to me as much as I would have liked, and they have expected me to use other resources like google to find the answer. The mentor also does not know everything and so there is difficulty in that as well because I am not able to progress in my project and ask questions because I will not recieve an answer. I am quite dissapointed in this experience. It was cheaper and more affordable than the bootcamps in Denver, but I would have loved to go to Turing or Galvanize instead and pay more because they have more networks in Denver. I would not recommend this to out of state students simply because they don't have a strong network.

Response From: David of Helio Training
    Title: President
    Tuesday, May 01 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.  We are always open to receiving feedback from our students.  We wish your experience was different and are disheartened to hear otherwise.  We are still hopeful that we can help your transition into the development field. Our current locations are only inside of Utah and we are working to expand our network to whatever areas our students want to end up.  With Neumont College of Computer Science being our sister organization, we do have alumni in many areas of the country that can be a great networking source for our graduates.  We are dedicated and working hard expand our network.
    One of our main intentions is to teach our students the basics of development and
    also teach them how to learn on their own.  Web development is always changing and will continue to do so in the future.  Our hope is that our graduates gain some great skills but also know how to become self-sufficient and research then solve their own problems.  We have retake and shadowing policies in place and will allow our students to retake the same course or shadow the same course for up to a year after completion.
  • Teresa B. Chavez  User Photo
    Teresa B. Chavez • Support & Implementation Specialist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My experience at Helio Training has been great from the first point of contact with Admissions.  They answered every question I had, from which program would be best for me, to finance options to help pay for the bootcamp.

I tried to learn to code on my own, and I could only get so far until I realized the true value in going to a bootcamp.  Having a live intstructor and a class mentor, who were very knowledgable and available to answer our questions when we needed them was what I needed to break through.  They understand that some of us come from zero knowledge, and I never felt stupid for getting help during the course.  We went over a lot of content at a rapid pace, and I was able to complete a full stack application for final projects by the end, but I still have a way to go to really round out my skiils as a developer.  One of my biggest takeaways from the program is learning how to learn on my own, and now that my co-hort is over, I feel confident taking deeper dives into the stack we learned, and even moving forward learning other programming languages.

Career Services presented great workshops to help build our resumes, create our network on linkedIn, and prepare for interviews.  They had us starting to apply for jobs way earlier than I felt comfortable with, but just do what they say, and trust their process.  If you have any concerns, talk to the staff, and they will work with you at whatever level you are comfortable with.  We did mock interviews, which I initially didn't want to do, but it was one of the most helpful parts of the process for me.  We got helpful feedback on our performance and practice for the technical part of the interview.

From what I learned in class, and following the steps that Career Services set forth, I received a job offer the day before my bootcamp ended.  It is a perfect fit for where I am in my development career.  I will be using HTML, CSS, and Javascript as a Support Specialist at a tech company.  They have encouraged me to continue my education, letting me know that most people that start at this role grow into web developer, software engineer, or QA positions within the company.  I couldn't be more excited about what is ahead.

I made some great friendships in class, and Helio is still there, encouraging those who are still completing proficiency or are still in the job hunt, to use the downtown facility to continue developing until we find a job.  You also have a year to shadow or re-take a class if you need more time to get it.

As it has been said in other reviews, you get out of this what you put in to it, so show up, participate, make mistakes, engage your fellow students, and learn to love the process.  It is very challenging, but very rewarding if you stick with it.

Helio's Full Stack Web Development bootcamp is for anyone, of any age, who wants to level up in life.

• James Sakurai  User Photo
    James Sakurai • Junior Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

During my time at Helio Training I was challenged daily and learned many new skills. My instructor Wes is very knowledgeable and was always willing to help with any questions that I had.  I really enjoyed the structure of the class time split evenly between lecture and time to work on your own with help available to you if you get stuck.  Career Services was very helpful in preparing me for interviews and making sure my resume looked great.  Amy also is available for job support after graduation.  I am very glad I chose to attend this school and would recommend it highly to anyone.

- 4/13/2018
    Zachary Merris  User Photo
    Zachary Merris • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I honestly wish I could talk to anyone conisdering a software bootcamp (in Utah) and suggest this program.  The structure is set up in such a way that it strikes a perfect balance between instruction and hands-on learning.  The staff, from instructors, to admissions advisors, to career services personnel, Helio knows what to teach you and how to teach it.

• Blake  User Photo
    Blake • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I initially started the course during January 2017.  Because of life circumstances and work I had to drop the course but Helio was right there to help me out.  They allow you to retake the course within the first year of taking it and I was able to start up again in November 2017.

By the end of the course I felt fairly comfortable with my ability to create a full stack application from start to finish.  The pacing was fast (but you don't go into a bootcamp thinking otherwise) but very manageable.  The instructors were awesome and approachable and very helpful when anyone was stuck.  I am happy that I took the course through Helio and grateful that they are great people to work with and understand that sometimes life just gets in the way.

I have not taken advantage of the Job Assistance but from what I saw it was excellent.  I wasn't currently in the market for a job but if I was I would certainly be leveraging their career services as well.

• Douglas Soule  User Photo
    Douglas Soule • Junior Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I finished Helio's fulltime fullstack bootcamp and could not have been happier with my experience. I had struggled for a few years after not having a good college experience and really wanted an opportunity other than a 4-year degree and 50k+ in student debt. When I found Helio it ended up being a perfect fit. Weston helped me complete my application in January and continued to follow up atleast once every two weeks to make sure I was not having any trouble with pre-work and had not further questions. Day to day class is arranged in 1-2 hour blocks of lectures/examples/discussion followed by a 15ish minute break. If anyone had to miss a day due to any reason, the instructor was excellent at working the class schedule to accomadate that and keep everyone moving forward and learning. After 12/13 weeks we had a showcase that compared class projects of Helio Students to that of Neumont College students, this highlighted how a 13 week bootcamp puts you at roughly the same level of job readiness. Tyler Garlick is the head instructor and was my classes teacher. Tyler is not only on top of what is going on today in industry, but he knows what is going on tomorrow. Career services is excellent for those with little to no experience job searching in a professional enviornment. Jeremiah helped me set up my LinkedIn page and resume for maximum effectiveness aswell as pointing me in the direction of recruiters. The more you talk to and use jeremiah the bigger help he is, if you never talk to him or listen to him, he will not be able to help you. At graduation Helio invited recruiters and hiring companaies to view our project showcases and give us an opportunity to talk to them about jobs.

• John  User Photo
    John • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My experience with Helio Training has not only been a transformative one, but, one that has opened my eyes to the possibilities that exist in the world of technology and software development. Having taken the course, I am now proud to say I have successfully applied the material I have learned to advance my career and find meaningful employment in a fast-paced and innovative technology company. The instructors are of an incredibly high caliber and deliver instruction in creative, effective, and understandable ways. The instructors and mentors never are always highly available and enthusiastic when assisting students, working with the students on solving the issue at hand. Ultimately, my experience with Helio Training has been nothing short of incredible - I would, without hesitation, recommend Helio Training to anyone wanting to add pursue a new, challenging, and meaningful opportunity in life.

• Amazing Experience
    - 4/12/2020
    Denislav Ivanov • Graduate
     I took immersive full-stack Web Dev course. Good experience with great mentors who are there to teach you everything you need to know. The lead instructor Wes was working really hard to get the students experience he has. The mentors we always there and helpful. Curriculum is upgrading in first two months in fast pace. If you want to get the most of the course you need to put the most into it. Dedicate all your time and even if you are tired try to work at home after class. Another advice is to keep coding and learning on your own after graduation. It is challenging, but is it worth it.
     I had excellent experience after graduation when i needed help for my projects and when i was feeling stuck. There always been Mike Corey - one of the mentors who never let me discouraged! Anytime i had questions he scheduled meetings with me and was willing to help even when i was not enough prepared. He was nice and trying his best to meet my needs and give new ideas how to proceed. Thanks a lot!
      One the other hand they give you the opportunity to shadow the course which i did. It is really helpful and makes you understand everything more detailed after you already have the bigger picture and concepts in mind. Totally recommend.
      And last, but not least Helio provides career service which is absolutely necessary and useful. The career service manager Amy is doing her job professionally and devotedly. She was checking the progress of everyone and helps building your resume, and how to present yourself (how to sell yourself).
     Overall Helio is a great environment and i would recommend it to everyone! It is network of nice people working toward achieving your goals along your way!

• UI/UX Design
    - 7/30/2019
    Antonio • Graduate

Wanted to take an in-person course to learn more about UI and UX. Ended up being an online course. Class outline and expectations were never clear. Instructor had excuses for coming in late all the time and/or moving the class to be online. It felt as though he didn't plan classes ahead of time and would just wing it. Very disorganized. I don't feel like I learned much than what I knew before. I ended up going out of my way to teach myself how to use certain programs and learn UI/UX. Total waste of time and money.

• UI/UX DESIGN
    - 7/23/2019
    Hayden Couch • Graduate
    Absolute SCAM - would give zero stars if I could - do not enroll at Helio, go anywhere else. I took their "ux design" "course" and it could not have been more unorganized - the instructor could not have been more scatterbrained & would come to class with no agenda or cancel class moving it to an online lecture. This is copy & pasted from the description of the course on their website: "In this course, you will gain an understanding of the theory behind social design, usability, and interaction. Additionally, you’ll learn how to implement designs using modern tools and software. You’ll learn by doing as you conduct research and produce useful personas, scenarios, and design sketches in this part-time course. Then, you’ll prototype and iterate your designs until you produce user interfaces and interactions that are worthy of placement in your professional portfolio. " I or anyone else who took this course will tell you that this is an absolute lie. Nothing promised was ever done in class - I am no closer to being a ux designer than I was before. The only thing taught by the instructor to us was HTML & Bootstrap - which was literally not even in the description of the class when I signed up (and not to mention, would just be a nice extra thing to know as a ux designer - the ux design process was never taught in this class) So much time & money was wasted - me and my classmates have all gone to the president David Preece & explained the situation in full detail & have all received the same canned response. David could not care any less - he's gotten his money, so he's happy. "No refunds, you can take the course again" - not to mention, the instructor is still working at Helio teaching multiple courses, so they're obviously satisfied with his work. Please just save yourself from this - you would get just as much - if not more - out of watching YouTube tutorials & doing free online courses to try & learn how to be a UX designer. I'm disgusted at how little we were taught in this course & I can't believe how much money was scammed out of all of us.
  • Fast pace course
    - 1/9/2019
    Shane jacobson • Student

If you really are hungry to learn then I suggest Helio's full time 3 month course. The course is intense but with the immersive approach you learn so much. They really focus on teaching you how to learn and advance in coding. They have a full time job services instructor that helps you prepare your resume and find the job that works for you. It is definitely a course where you will get out of it what you put into it.

- 1/9/2019
    Austin Peterson • Programmer • Student

Helio was a great experience! The teachers and mentors are extremely helpful. The career service guides they offer gave me great pointers to secure my position. I'm extremely happy with my entire experience.