founders-and-coders-logo

Founders and Coders

London

Founders and Coders

Founders and Coders offers tuition-free, peer-led web development training in London, UK. Founders and Coders is a nonprofit organization and global developer community, aiming to help people from all backgrounds get into tech and make a social impact. The program consists of a 16-week full-time coding bootcamp covering JavaScript, Node.js, relational databases, and aspects of UX design and project management. As a peer-led bootcamp, students take turns delivering workshops, running code reviews, and managing projects. The coding bootcamp is designed for people who are serious about launching a career in web development, are self-motivated, prepared to work long hours, and committed to collaborative working.

After the bootcamp, graduates have the opportunity to build real projects through Tech for Better, Founders and Coders' app development program for nonprofits. Founders and Coders encourages graduates to take jobs with their employer partners who will help cover the costs of the program, or to make a voluntary contribution to pay it forward after they graduate. Graduates are also expected to mentor new students for at least one week after they graduate.

Applicants must be over 18. There are no academic prerequisites, but not everyone will be suited to the Founders and Coders learning style. Applicants will need to work through prerequisite resources such as freeCodeCamp and Codewars before joining the course. All applicants will participate in a 20-minute conversational interview to gauge whether they are a good fit for the community.

Recent Founders and Coders Reviews: Rating 4.58

all (38) reviews for Founders and Coders →

Recent Founders and Coders News

Read all (5) articles about Founders and Coders →
  • Full-stack JavaScript

Git, JavaScript, User Experience Design, React.js, Front End, Scrum
    Cost£0
    LocationLondon
    Each course runs for sixteen weeks at Space4 in Finsbury Park, five days a week from 10:00 to 18:00 (we do not offer part-time or remote courses). During the first half of the course, you’ll spend eight weeks learning HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Node.JS and other basic building blocks of web development, as well as user-centred design and entrepreneurship, via workshops and team projects. During the second half of the course, you’ll tackle two extended team projects, one based on ideas pitched within the cohort and a final project for an external client that you will select as part of the Tech for Better programme. We have no paid teaching staff. While we do employ a part-time facilitator who coordinates course logistics, the course is primarily “peer-led.” You will learn to code by pair programming with a partner, working on team projects, and from “near-peer” mentorship by recent graduates. We support ourselves financially by acting as an employment agency. You can help us keep this programme free for future students by working with us to find employment, both after you graduate and throughout your career. Founders and Coders is a community founded on the principle of reciprocity, and we expect all graduates to contribute back to the viability and development of the programme. As a student, you will spend 1-2 evenings/month mentoring prospective applicants. When you graduate, you will spend at least one full week volunteering as a mentor during the first eight weeks of the following cohort.
    Prep Work150+ hours of self-study
  • Mireia Sangalo • Full stack JavaScript developer

This is one of the best decisions I could ever have done. I grow up as an engineer and also as a person. Founders and Coders is more a family than anything else. Thank you!

• Tom • Graduate

This is full-stack javascript boot camp with a twist - there are no tuition fees and no teachers. This is a model based on peer learning combined with excellent support and structure - the ideal environment in which to develop the practical skills needed for coding. Stay at the forefront of cutting-edge technology, learn with and from some of the smartest people you'll ever meet, begin working for real clients, use your newly-acquired skills to make a real difference to people lives..... too good to be true? I can assure you it isn't. It's happening right now so get involved!

• Jack • freelance developer • Graduate

Pros
    Collaborative,
    Great atmosphere,
    Free course,
    Best of all: Actively seeking paid work for graduates

Don't expect:
    Spoon feeding,
    to get onto the course too easily

• Joshua Phillips • Web Developer • Graduate

A life changing full stack JavaScript web development course! Working collaboratively and learning from my peers, whilst teaching everything I learnt to them, was such a brilliant way to supercharge my development skills. If you're thinking of doing this, just do it. Speakers such as Stephen Fowler (Tech lead at Guardian) Twitter, Bithound and ITV gave us a real grounding in the web development industry. What's more, this place is a real social enterprise and believes education should be free! No fees! I couldn't believe it but it was such an honour to be a part of this incredible organisation.

• Life Changing
    - 4/19/2016
    Conor Campbell • Software Developer • Graduate

This is a fantastic coding school, it genuinely feels like a cooperative. The tutors are always happy to give guidance, but also give you the support you need to let you teach yourself. The curriculum is constantly adapting to the views and needs of the students. You are encouraged from early on in the course to branch out and go to lots of tech meet ups and hackathons, this gives you a well rounded view of the London tech industry and teaches you how to promote your developer skills.
    Go for it :)

• Anni • Student

Founders & Coders is an amazing course.

I did the course Summer 2016 and it was one of the best decisions of my life.

The course was alot of hard work but I loved it. It's amazing how much knowledge can be learnt in such a short period of time. The peer learning and self teaching has left me with more skills and knowledge I could have ever imagined and after the course I was able to get a job as a web developer.

So great. One of the best things I have ever done. Learnt more in 16 weeks than I have in my entire life. One of the very few courses to offer Node.js and React training. Thank you so much Dan, Ines and the FAC crew for giving me this opportunity!

• Anita • Web Developer • Graduate

I can confidently say that Founders and Coders has changed my life. The amount of knowledge I have gained from Founders and Coders is unmeasurable. There is no way I could have learnt what I did. In such a short space of time, on my own.

For me, the future looks so much brighter and that's all thanks to Founders and Coders.

• F&C's Boot camp
    - 12/29/2015
    Tormod Smith • Free Lance Web Developer • Graduate

I can safely say that the Founders & Coders Boot camp, has been a thoroughly enjoyable, challenging and rewarding experience.  Coming from a back ground in sales, whilst pursuing various online routes to learning how to build websites I became dis-enfranchised with being the lone ranger sitting at home. After attending the Monday evening meet-up sessions  I began to take on the pre-requisites for the Bootcamp after getting a feel for the environment I knew it was something that I wanted to be a part of.  The course itself consisted of weekley tasked based learning in the form collaborative projects. Whilst the course is taught free of tuition there was no compromise on the quality provided. Throughout Founders & Coders we were encouraged to participate in pair programming and help one another to overcome every task.  We had speakers from a broad spectrum of renowned organisations and potential employers such as , The Guardian, Twitter and The BBC.

Whilst the curriculum is vast and the pace fast it certainly lives up to the 'Boot camp' label. Even if you come away with 50% of the knowledge that is provided to you it's a worthwhile experience. Fantastic way to spend 4 months  highly worth it !!!

• Jack Carlisle • Web Developer • Student

Studying with Founders & Coders has changed my life! Amazing people and I couldn't recommend it more! There really isn't a better place to begin your education in software development.

• Alex Rubner • Student

When I was learning on my own, after six months of coding I managed to make a website about football scores with three differently sized boxes and a button that randomly generated the football scores because I couldn't figure out how to actually get the real football scores.

After six weeks of Founders & Coders, my team and I have created a working blog from scratch, a soundcloud playlist app, a wordsearch app with autocomplete search and dictionary definitions, a version of twitter (ours distinguished itself by allowing 141 characters), and most recently a working version of instagram. I'm not even slightly exaggerating.

That's six weeks' worth of projects. In the ninth week, we'll move out of the classroom and start working on projects for clients. Where else could you imagine that after eight weeks of training, you'll be in a position to deliver genuine value to someone else's business?

Through a mixture of expert instruction and collaboration with our peers, we've made faster progress that I ever dreamed was possible. I couldn't recommend Founders & Coders more to anyone who wants to devote a helluvalotta effort, with the guarantee that they'll get out of it what they put into it.