founders-and-coders-logo

Founders and Coders

London

Founders and Coders

Founders and Coders offers tuition-free, peer-led web development training in London, UK. Founders and Coders is a nonprofit organization and global developer community, aiming to help people from all backgrounds get into tech and make a social impact. The program consists of a 16-week full-time coding bootcamp covering JavaScript, Node.js, relational databases, and aspects of UX design and project management. As a peer-led bootcamp, students take turns delivering workshops, running code reviews, and managing projects. The coding bootcamp is designed for people who are serious about launching a career in web development, are self-motivated, prepared to work long hours, and committed to collaborative working.

After the bootcamp, graduates have the opportunity to build real projects through Tech for Better, Founders and Coders' app development program for nonprofits. Founders and Coders encourages graduates to take jobs with their employer partners who will help cover the costs of the program, or to make a voluntary contribution to pay it forward after they graduate. Graduates are also expected to mentor new students for at least one week after they graduate.

Applicants must be over 18. There are no academic prerequisites, but not everyone will be suited to the Founders and Coders learning style. Applicants will need to work through prerequisite resources such as freeCodeCamp and Codewars before joining the course. All applicants will participate in a 20-minute conversational interview to gauge whether they are a good fit for the community.

Recent Founders and Coders Reviews: Rating 4.58

all (38) reviews for Founders and Coders →

Recent Founders and Coders News

Read all (5) articles about Founders and Coders →
  • Full-stack JavaScript

Git, JavaScript, User Experience Design, React.js, Front End, Scrum
    Cost£0
    LocationLondon
    Each course runs for sixteen weeks at Space4 in Finsbury Park, five days a week from 10:00 to 18:00 (we do not offer part-time or remote courses). During the first half of the course, you’ll spend eight weeks learning HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Node.JS and other basic building blocks of web development, as well as user-centred design and entrepreneurship, via workshops and team projects. During the second half of the course, you’ll tackle two extended team projects, one based on ideas pitched within the cohort and a final project for an external client that you will select as part of the Tech for Better programme. We have no paid teaching staff. While we do employ a part-time facilitator who coordinates course logistics, the course is primarily “peer-led.” You will learn to code by pair programming with a partner, working on team projects, and from “near-peer” mentorship by recent graduates. We support ourselves financially by acting as an employment agency. You can help us keep this programme free for future students by working with us to find employment, both after you graduate and throughout your career. Founders and Coders is a community founded on the principle of reciprocity, and we expect all graduates to contribute back to the viability and development of the programme. As a student, you will spend 1-2 evenings/month mentoring prospective applicants. When you graduate, you will spend at least one full week volunteering as a mentor during the first eight weeks of the following cohort.
    Prep Work150+ hours of self-study
  • Nick Field • Student

At Founders & Coders you’ll not only develop your programming skills in the short space of time, you’ll also learn to how work well with others, be encouraged to contribute to helping develop the course itself, and work out of your comfort zone regularly to push you to higher levels. Simply put, the course will help you grow as an individual, and you’ll leave the course with highly valuable attributes that many employers look for.

The course reviews here sum up the course well, in my opinion the best thing about Founders & Coders are the core values shared by everyone- in short; every member is wonderfully motivated about making a positive difference to the world through technology, it’s inspiring. Applying to the course and completing the 16 weeks has been one of the best decisions of my life, I cannot recommend it enough!

• Ivan • Graduate

I learnt more during the last four months than at any other time of my life. It is exactly what my university experience should have been like and all without the £30,000 debt. What makes Founders and Coders so great is the people. The entry requirements are tough and this ensures that you are surrounded by intelligent, switched on individuals. Everyone has pushed me to be better every day, I would not be anywhere near as far in my coding career if it was not for this course. As well as the skills I have picked up, there are the friends that I have made. The atmosphere in the space is one of the most welcoming, accepting and friendly I have ever encountered, I will have a hard time leaving!

• Francesco Moro • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate

Are you looking to become a great developer, but do not have previous experience in web development?

Do you want a great learning journey, and share it with a group of young people you'll soon be calling friends?

Founders & Coders is the answer!

Founders & Coders is not only incredibly good to learn Full-stack Web Development, it is a community you can rely on to keep on learning, and a place which feels like home.

You will learn from day1(!!) to build powerful websites. By the end of the course you will be highly confident building full-stack apps, whether in 1-2 day hackathons or over the span of several weeks. I am now a much better developer than I could have ever imagined when applying.

One of the key differences with other bootcamps is that the learning doesn't stop after the course! You have a community which supports you! I have just finished the 16th (and last official) week of the course and am looking at working immediately on customer projects as a freelancer with my friends from the course. We will carry on learning and exploring new technologies together, and have the support of the FAC community (the experienced developers who graduated before us).

Web development cannot be taught on a whiteboard and a set of manuals, so this calls for a very practical approach. F&C's learning method is very powerful and unique for three specific reasons: explorationgroup work, peer-led learning.

Exploration

You will learn how to learn new topics, practicing every week. I cannot emphasize how important this is in tech, where new technologies will be coming up all the time! You will also never experience spoon-feeding, and grow as a learner as well as a developer.

Group work

I have learned more in 2 weeks working in groups, than in 3 months learning on my own! And it's been way more fun and rewarding! Working in groups and pair programming, you will support, push and help each other to do more and better and to keep learning.

Peer-led learning

It may not be clear right now (it wasn't for me at the start), but teaching is an invaluable way to learn... for you and for the FAC community. It's what makes the course FREE (I still cannot believe it is!!) for the students, and will consolidate your learning! It will also not take too much of your time as a teacher (it is perfectly compatible with working the rest of the day). I'm really excited to do that!

If you are still not convinced, here are some other great reasons why F&C is so good!

• Javascript is the future, and is probably the only language which alone can allow you to be good on frontend & backend development. The myth that Ruby is much more beginner friendly is false (and if that were true, I still think you should challenge yourself and aim high!). I am now in the position to learn to build mobile apps
    • You can contribute to making F&C an even better place! F&C values your opinion and asks for your feedback at least on a weekly basis (e.g. we have group sessions where you can potentially propose new best practices).
    • Highly selective entry. I believe this ultimately leads to a higher learning standard. Being a free course, only means that the selection criteria are based on your motivation and aptitude/mentality rather than your willingness to pay (I have successfully applied to all other major bootcamps in EU and US as well, so I know this for a fact).
    • All common best practices included: Test Driven Development (TDD), pair-programming, learning-by-doing, etc.
    • Variety of backgrounds, experiences and cultures - F&C recognizes the importance of ensuring a balance between men and women, which is rewarding to the overall experience.

• Fantastic Course!
    Katherine • Graduate

Pros
    * Knowledgeable and helpful mentors
    * Great community
    * Excellent collaborative environment
    * Continuous feedback and adaptation to improve the course & your own work
    * Free!
    * Can stay on to work on freelance projects as part of a cooperative

• Life changing!!!
    Rob • Graduate

Founders and Coders is a full stack JavaScript course based around collaborative learning. It is an intense experience that is not your everyday classroom format. There is no teacher on hand to give you an answer whenever you are stuck, instead you and your peers need to research and then share what you have learned.

It is without a doubt one of the best experiences that I have ever had and I have no doubt that the skills learned will be a massive help in my career as a developer.

• Founders & Coders
    - 5/12/2016

A truly stellar peer-led coding course that submerges you fully in full stack JavaScript development, ability to learn React and Node.js, a cooperative environment with support from 0 to developer. As a mentioned in the title, it is entirely free, a meritocratic, supportive, social-democratic collective.

• Virginie • Web developer • Graduate

I had been looking for a good coding bootcamp in London and Founders & Coders was by far the best I found. I had an amazing learning experience here and I would strongly recommend it. The quality of the program is remarkable, people are friendly and always happy to help.

• Sam • developer • Graduate

Founders and Coders has taught me in an intensive 16 weeks, the principles for being a full stack developer. I have been given a great introduction to a knowledgeable, experienced and up to date community of developers and feel very little restrictions to my development as a developer.

• Anonymous • Full Stack Javascript Developer • Graduate

After a masters in Art History, I was unhappy about where my career was going. I found out about the school and joined Founders and Coders a couple of months later and honestly could say it was one of my best life choices. I've met lots of lovely people; the work is challenging and creative;  my career looks much more promising. I have found that the collaborative way of teaching suits me very well. I have learnt so much in the last few months. In addition, I have been given the opportunity to work with amazing clients such as Breast Cancer Care and other reputible charities so early on in my career as a developer. I would highly recommend.

• Anonymous • Developer • Graduate
    In no particular order: - A rounded introduction to fullstack development - A modern syllabus (ES6, Node, Hapi, React, etc) - Supportive environment and mentors - Encourages resourcefulness, self-directed and peer-supported learning - Regular feedback sessions to shape and tailor aspects of the course to each cohort - High entry requirements, very selective - Lots of external speakers from industry on a variety of topics - Social enterprise which encourages engagement with third sector - FREE
  • Andrew MacMurray • Full Stack JavaScript Developer • Graduate

What susrpised me about Founders and Coders was that at its core, the key to its success was a group of people in a room commiting to learning together. It's so simple but deceptively powerful.

It was one of the hardest, most intense experiences of my life, Founders and Coders doesn't hold you hand, it teaches you how to learn.

I learnt more in 16 weeks than I did in 3 years, met some extremely talented people who I want to continute working with and am really excited about my future in software development.

• Owen • Developer • Graduate

It's hard to believe how much I have learned on the course when I think back to how little I knew before starting. Having finished the course, I feel comfortable setting up a full-stack, fully functional web-app - frontend, backend, database, and any of a number of powerful modern frameworks.... I remember before the course, I barely knew how to make a simple static web-page.

The fact is that Founders & Coders is an incredibly effective way of learning the skills you need to start a real career in software development. IT WORKS as a way of gaining an incredible amount of knowledge and experience in a very short amount of time. It's also amazing fun, thanks to the people teaching and running the course, as well as the close ties you build with your fellow students.

I can't really think of many cons. The fact that the course is free means that it gets a lot of applicants, and so you have to put substantial time and effort into learning the prerequisites before you actually start the course. Another possible con is that you can't expect to have your hand held. The course relies on self-learning and peer-learning, and the instruction you receive from the teachers is limited to the essentials - this means that you get out of the course what you put in.

As far as getting jobs goes, I think Founders & Coders offers more help than many other bootcamps. They have a great system in place to get graduates paid freelance work after you finish the course - this lets you gain experience and build a portfolio to show to recruiters in the future. If you're thinking about applying, I can't recommend it enough.