First Step Coding
With a 6:1 student to instructor ratio, students are taught by experienced industry professionals from MakeSpace and Google; some are also coding bootcamp alumni. Students will be immersed in a hands-on approach to learning – First Step Coding will show brief demos and then give students opportunities to apply new concepts through progressive challenges.
This course is designed for complete beginners. To apply, prospective students will need to fill out an online form and have a quick phone call with the First Step Coding team.
Recent First Step Coding Reviews: Rating 5.0
Recent First Step Coding News
- Why Sarah Started Her Tech Journey at First Step Coding
- September 2017 Coding Bootcamp News + Podcast
- The Best Coding Bootcamp Prep Programs
Deposit $500 FinancingFinancing plans are available Tuition Plans Payment plans are available Refund / Guarantee Up to $1,500
Deposit $300 minimum Tuition Plans Tuition plans are available
Minimum Skill Level Complete beginner Placement Test No Interview No
First Step Coding Reviews
56 reviews sorted by:
- FSC: A Great Way to Start- 7/23/2018William Fuentes • Structural Engineer • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: San Francisco
I am a structural engineer trying to switch to software sales engineering. I was looking for a course that could teach me the basics in a quick and efficient way. I couldn't have asked for more from an introductory course to front end development. The curriculum developed by Andy provides a strong foundation for continuing education and personal development. The knowledge acquired from this bootcamp is helpful in determining if computer science is the right field for you. The entire team at FSC was very responsive and available throughout the duration of the course. I really enjoyed the experience and I would strongly advise others to pursue the final project portion of the bootcamp. I would have never thought that I could design a working website with a user interface after just two months. Andy, Charlie, Shlomy and Calli, thanks again! It's been great!
- Extremely helpful and engaging- 5/14/2018Shannon C. • Student • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: San Francisco
The course, teachers, curriculum and entire atmosphere of this course was amazing. I could not recommend the bootcamp prep course enough, and I really feel like the instructors and masterminds behind this course care about your future path to becoming a programmer/developer.
- FirstStep coding is truly the first step!- 5/10/2018Matthew Doering • Merchant Service Underwriter • Graduate • Campus: Online
- In person makes all the difference- 4/8/2018Riley Alsman • Graduate • Campus: New York City
- Best decision I made all year- 2/22/2018Arthur Hovanesian • Teacher • Student • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: San FranciscoI wrote my first line of code ever about 3 months ago on the first day of class; last week, I got accepted into Hack Reactor, one of the top coding bootcamps in San Francisco. That says a lot about First Step's bootcamp prep program, if I can go from zero to not just code literate, but ready for an intensive bootcamp experience in just 8 weeks. My classmates included people trying to quit their jobs and transition into a tech job (me--high school teacher for 4 years) as well as people who just wanted to learn a bit of coding to help them communicate with their team as work. Andy and his team at First Step have created an educational experience perfectly catered to those who want to take their first step (sorry) into the world of coding but are not confident enough to learn on their own, or perhaps just need the structure that a small classroom provides. There are between 5 and 10 students per class and all coding is done in pairs, with the teacher or TA circulating the room to help. Classes run for 3 hours and generally move pretty quickly but there is plenty of opportunity to pause and ask questions. My instructor, Jake, was funny, personable, and very knowledgeable. He helped me outside of class and even after class was over, while I was prepping for the Hack Reactor interview. I suggest taking notes during lectures, experimenting with the code while in class, not being afraid to ask questions, doing all the homework, and going to office hours if you want to get the most out of the experience. Tl;dr: great experience, knowledgeable staff, helped me get into a bootcamp with zero coding experience, well worth the pricetag.
- FSC is Great!!- 2/7/2018Alejandro Biancucci • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Online
FSC is a great online bootcamp prep that helped to shape the fundamentals of programming. Prior to enrolling in the online course, I had very little experience coding. Thanks to the program curriculum and the whole FSC staff I was able to expand my programming knowledge and skill, and now I feel more confident and prepared for the current programming bootcamp I am attending. I definitely recommend starting a programming journey through FSC.
Keep doing what you're doing, guys!!
- Great jumpstart into coding- 12/18/2017Victoria F. • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: New York City
- Casey Rothberg • Independent Researcher • Graduate • Campus: Online
- Peggy • Recruitment Director • Student • Campus: Online
The course was really great. I wanted to see if coding would be a good fit for me. The course content included demonstrations followed by practice which made it easier to internalize the content. Plus there were office hours during the course and open access to teachers even after the course was over. The teacher was supportive, easy to follow, and really funny too. And they offered office hours outside of class time. It was a really good introduction to coding. I’m so glad I took the course.
- Great Course!- 12/15/2017James • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: New York City
I took this course in June 2017, and it was the perfect introduction to coding.
My instructor Kurt explained the fundamentals clearly and was always available before and after class to provide extra help.
My favorite part about this class is that it focused less on syntax and more on the problem solving approach needed to start tackling coding problems. I also enjoyed the emphasis they put on pair programming. This was definitely a skill that carried over to my bootcamp experience.
Before taking this class I was very new to coding. After completing the course I was accepted into and have finished a major nyc bootcamp. This course delivers on what it promises and then some.
Response From: Calli Rothberg of First Step CodingTitle: Student Success ManagerMonday, Dec 18 2017Thanks James! Congrats on graduating from Fullstack Academy this Winter, we're excited to see what you do next!
- Awesome collaborative coding course!- 12/13/2017Kelsey • Civil Engineer • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Online
My experience with First Step Coding was exactly what I was looking for. I took the online class that was offered twice a week during the evening, which was perfect for me since I work full time. The virtual classes ran very smoothly via video conferencing, allowing me to ask questions and work directly with the teacher and the other students. I especially loved the collaborative aspect of coding with a partner during class and on assignments. The curriculum was the perfect speed for someone who is serious about learning to code but might have little experience. Everyone I worked with was extremely positive, responsive, and helpful. I finished the class with a good foundation and excellent resources to continue my education. They also offer mock interviews to prepare you for bootcamp applications. Overall it was a great experience and I would highly recommend it.
- Fun and Interesting Class- 12/7/2017Teresa • Commercial Loan Underwriter • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Online
I completed the 4-week online course, Intro to Coding. I am considering changing careers from finance to tech, and this class has inspired me to continue learning coding. I have taken programming classes in the past, but forgot a lot of it since college. This was a perfect refresher, plus I learned more than I was expecting to. The online class definitely requires a lot of time, especially if you also work full time, but if you do all the homework, it helps a lot during class. The instructor also provides help outside of class, and mock interviews for bootcamps for all students. Shlomy is a great teacher, and tells some good jokes. He made it feel like a real classroom.
The material was interesting and easy to understand, and doesn't require any prior knowledge. If you do all the extra work outside class too besides the homework, it is definitely worth the time and money.