First Step Coding
With a 6:1 student to instructor ratio, students are taught by experienced industry professionals from MakeSpace and Google; some are also coding bootcamp alumni. Students will be immersed in a hands-on approach to learning – First Step Coding will show brief demos and then give students opportunities to apply new concepts through progressive challenges.
This course is designed for complete beginners. To apply, prospective students will need to fill out an online form and have a quick phone call with the First Step Coding team.
Recent First Step Coding Reviews: Rating 5.0
Recent First Step Coding News
- Start Date
- Rolling Start Date
- Class size
- Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, San Jose, New York City, Boston, Online
- Financing plans are available
- Tuition Plans
- Payment plans are available
- Refund / Guarantee
- Up to $1,500
- Minimum Skill Level
- Complete beginner
- Placement Test
- Start Date
- Rolling Start Date
- Class size
- Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, San Jose, New York City, Boston, Online, Silicon Valley
- $300 minimum
- Tuition Plans
- Tuition plans are available
- Minimum Skill Level
- Complete beginner
- Placement Test
First Step Coding Reviews
52 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
Took an online course and learned a lot during the whole program. I recommend it for anyone whos trying to dip their toes into computer programming. This course is by no means a walk in the park. It is challenging enough that you need to dedicate time towards homework and reviewing past content to grasp core concepts as classes build on top of each other.
- Head of Growth & Partnerships- 2/1/2019Sysamone Phaphon • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedIn
It's tough to attend any in person coding program when you are a parent. Add single parent to the title and it's even more difficult to balance and find an appropriate sitter to watch your kids while you go code for a few hours. The team at First Step Coding is ridiculously accommodating and supportive. I'm a single parent of two and at times, I couldn't make the in person teachings but my instructor made sure to make himself readily available to keep me on track with the rest of the students via a 1 on 1 online tutoring session. This type of flexibility and accommodation is not available in other bootcamps. The way the curriculum is setup with the addition of educational videos and knowledge check points really helped me grasped what I was learning. Their were definitely some challenges, however the support from the instructor, TA and team at First Step Coding, really helped me get through.
- Fantastic way to get started with coding!- 12/31/2018Hugo Xiong • Teacher and Entrepreneur • Applicant • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedIn
- First Step Coding helped me build a foundation- 10/7/2018Matthew • Graduate • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
I had always wanted to code, but I knew next to nothing about programming languages, problem-solving, etc. After starting with a few free resources, I looked into finding reputable and structured programs that could help me to the next level. First Step Coding provided me with the opportunity to participate in some live, online classes with helpful teachers and other students also interested in starting their journeys as coders. I felt like the classes were simple to follow and the materials, homework, and projects gave me the knowledge and experience I needed to establish a foothold in programming while guiding me toward my second step. What I learned in First Step Coding not only in terms of languages, but also problem-solving methodology has already helped me to feel empowered and successful in the initial stages of the boot camp I started in the past few weeks. I think what First Step Coding offers is great for people looking to gain skills in web development and further their education for the purposes of enhancing their current career or future career opportunities as well as for their own satisfaction.
- Best First Step to Programming- 9/21/2018Austin Pratama • Student • Student • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Boston • Verified via LinkedIn
As a business student in Finance and Information Systems, I never had the confidence to enroll in a computer science class. First Step Coding gave me the fundamentals and knowledge to tackle many programming challenges as well as the confidence to apply to top bootcamps around the US. Instructors are there to help you through any problems as well as other questions you might have about programming!
If you are completely new programming, First Step Coding is definetely a go to!
- Great introduction to coding- 7/19/2018Catherine Ferguson • Physician • Applicant • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
I was a complete coding newbie and really enjoyed First Step Coding! It was a good introduction to the fundamental concepts in coding. The homework and classes helped me solidify my understanding of many of the essential coding functions that I have continued to use while learning Python for data science. The instructor was always available to answer any questions and help me work through problems. I highly recommend it as your first stepping stone to a coding career
- Becoming A Code Literate Sales Rep- 7/10/2018Graham Cartwright • Sales Engineer • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Boston • Verified via LinkedIn
As a Sales Rep in the Greater Boston Area, I’ve had a fair share of hands on experience with technical products and demonstrations in my field. So when it came time to make a switch to a more technical role, theres only so much you can teach yourself about coding from 101 websites or YouTube. Sure there are outstanding bootcamps in the area, but I wasn’t sure if that was something I was ready to invest full time or serioius money in. When I came across First Step Coding, their curriculum checked most if not all of the boxes on the job requirements I was interested in, so it was a no-brainer! Their instructors are experts in the vast amount of material covered in the course, and made themselves available after hours for questions with any assignments or topics. I’m confident having completed the course that it gave me the competitive edge adequate enough to establish myself as a technical sales rep and land a job in that field.
- Jacob Shobin • Student • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Boston • Verified via LinkedIn
First Step Coding was an excellent intro course that helped solidify my interest in coding. The teachers were very encouraging and I found myself motivated to learn more about programming after each lesson. The amazing thing about First Step Coding is that it allows you to get into programming with little or no prior knowledge of how to code. Whether you're interested to learn at home by yourself or through a company, it can be stressful and hard to take that first step to learn how to code. That's where First Step Coding comes in, as they offer an excellent support system to take that plunge and pursue coding. Thanks to everyone at FSC, I am now two months in at an intensive Full Stack Web Development bootcamp based in Tel Aviv.
- Great way to start your coding journey!- 5/6/2018Sophie • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Boston • Verified via GitHubI was not sure what to expect when I first signed up for this course. I had been thinking about attending a bootcamp to learn to code and to have a career change but was not sure if it would be a good fit for me. First Step Coding was an excellent way to test out the waters while keeping the current job. They have small classes (we had 5 people in mine) which was also very nice and I felt comfortable asking questions to the instructor during and in between the classroom sessions via Slack.
After the 4 week Intro course, I found coding to be quite fun and enjoyable and now I've signed up for a bootcamp with one of their bootcamp partners (I received a discount off the tuition for being a FSC alumni, amount varies depending on the bootcamp and also seems to be changing constantly so probably should check the FSC website for updated info).
I would highly recommend the course to anybody who is interested in learning to code - I think it gives you a good foundation to work with and also gives you a chance to see if you like coding at all!
Response From: Calli Rothberg of First Step CodingTitle: Student Success ManagerWednesday, Oct 10 2018Congrats again on completing Launch Academy and getting hired as a developer! We hope you're loving your new career!
- my code review- 4/25/2018eduardo bernal • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedIn
First step coding was a great thing for me, they have created a great environment for entry level coders yet at the same time give you the tools that give you the capability to expand as far as you like.I felt comfortable asking the same question 3 times from 3 different angles If i really had to. My hats off to Andy and everyone for making this program a program with a great student to teacher ratio and also having the one-on-ones which are really helpful. Highly recommend this to anyone interested into learning coding it has been great learning experience. Want to thank Calli for helping me throughout the course and special thanks to my professor Jake an awesome individual with much dedication to make sure you are learning and taking what you need to take from the class. Also want to thank Arthur who was a great ton of help in the moments you need it the most.I had a fun time learning at this program.
- Sarah Kaplan • K-12 Teacher • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Boston • Verified via LinkedIn
TL;DR Totally worth the money if you want to apply to a top bootcamp; it was a much more effective way to prepare than using free online resources.
When I was trying to learn to code on my own, I wasn’t sure what to prioritize and wasted a lot of time bouncing between different resources. First Step Coding has a great beginner-friendly curriculum that helped me build a much stronger foundation in key concepts. The class size is small (my class had 6 students), so you get a ton of one-on-one support during class, and the instructors are available for office hours outside of class. Both instructors--Kurt and Andy--have a great teaching style. As opposed to a lot of online resources where I felt like I was just copying lines of code without understanding why, Kurt and Andy asked a lot of questions about my code to make sure I understood the concepts. When something wasn’t working, they always asked me questions to prompt me to identify bugs on my own and learn to fix them myself. We also did a lot of pair programming during the class. I found that, with all of these opportunities to talk out my thinking as I was coding, I made progress so much more quickly than I ever would have on my own, and now I feel much more prepared for bootcamp interviews.
The class also connects you with tons of high quality online resources to continue learning on your own. Once my First Step Coding course ended, I started working through interview practice problems for Hack Reactor and also learning Ruby (another programming language). I found that I was able to able to progress through the material ten times faster after getting a strong foundation from First Step Coding.
I also highly recommended signing up for the longer class that includes the “bootcamp prep.” This part of the class involves a project where you create your own web application. You also get to participate in a mock interview, which I found incredibly helpful in terms of feeling prepared to apply to bootcamps and knowing what to expect.
- Perfect place to start- 3/22/2018Charlie Pontrelli • Project Manager • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
You will find people with a wide range of backgrounds coming into this class. I personally had substantial experience working with data in excel (as well as some SQL experience) so many of the concepts came easier to me than they did to most of my classmates. This did not turn out to be a problem because the teachers were willing to provide me with more challenging exercises as well as guidance on advanced topics to learn so that I didn't get bored. The more time and effort you put in to this course, the more you will get out of it and the teachers are willing to help you learn as much as you can (even if the concepts extend beyond the core curriculum). It was the quality of the teachers that impressed me most about this course.
For those curious about the online course vs. the in-person, I say go for the online and save your $500. I was signed up for an in person class because I was worried about the online classroom dynamics, but then switched at the last minute and am so happy I did. It allowed me to skip the commute (I just worked from a conference room in my office) and it really did feel like being in a real classroom. I can't imagine that I would have learned any better being in a real classroom.
Final thing: I am extremely happy I took the prep course vs. the intro to coding class. It was the process of building your own web app that makes the big picture come together. Sure, someone who did the intro course can probably build a web app as well, but I'm not sure how easy it would have been for me to connect all the dots without the extra instruction. I found the exposure to APIs was especially helpful.
- One of the best decisions you can make!- 12/21/2017Jake H. • Student • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHub
There are courses on coding and there's First Step Coding.
Designed for those with zero experience in computer programming-- over the course of the 4 weeks FSC provides a clear, organized, and straightforward introduction on the basics.
But it doesn't stop there. FSC is unique as an introductory course in its immersive and networking-based class model. With FSC you dive in from day one-- working both with peers and teachers while getting the chance to tour and network with people at several bootcamps (Hack Reactor, App Academy, Rithm School, to name a few).
And lastly, you have Andy. One of the reasons Andy does what he does is because he genuinely loves to teach and work with others. You can tell. I'm in the process of applying to programs now and Andy continues to give me advice and help me with interview prep.
If you're looking at getting involved in coding, I promise you, this course might be one of the best decisions you can make!
- Julian Johannesen • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Boston • Verified via GitHub
- Good intro to coding- 12/14/2017Paula • Student • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedIn
Getting into coding can be intimidating, and with so many resources available online, it can be difficult to know where to start. Starting with a structured course is a great way to incorporate accountability, join a community, and build confidence. The foundation I got at FSC was not enough for me to apply to bootcamps straight away, but it did give me the confidence and knowledge to sort through the many (free) resources available.
- Erica • Product Marketing Manager • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedInI had been contemplating a career change from business to software development for a while. Before committing to a full-time bootcamp, I wanted to make sure that I would enjoy coding as a full-time job. FSC's twice-weekly evening classes fit into my schedule and needs perfectly. I had a blast in class! I loved that the majority of time was spent pair-programming. Coding is hard, so being able to work with another person helped my understanding of concepts through another person's eyes. Kurt, our instructor was also kind and incredibly patient.
Most importantly, I learned the fundamentals well enough to be able to apply to some top bootcamps. I got into my first choice and will be starting in the fall. I couldn't have done it without FSC!
Response From: Calli Rothberg of First Step CodingTitle: Student Success ManagerMonday, Dec 18 2017Thanks Erica! We're so proud of you for getting accepted at Flatiron School in NYC! Can't wait to see where your training takes you.
- A must before a botcamp- 9/17/2017Taylor Gamache • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Boston • Verified via LinkedIn
Response From: Calli Rothberg of First Step CodingTitle: Student Success ManagerMonday, Dec 18 2017Thanks Taylor! Congrats again on finishing Startup Institute's program earlier this year! It's been great keeping in touch and seeing some of the freelance development work you've done.
- Great introduction to coding- 8/22/2019K.B. • Student • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Boston
An intense online search for coding classes led me to First Step Coding and I am so happy I found it. Although self learning is great ( and very important in this field), First Step Coding is the right place to start and get a good coding foundation.
My instructors were Riley and Kurt; they were both very nice, helpful,professional, extremely patient and always available to answers questions. The curriculum is indeed adapted for people with no coding experience and by the end of the program, you acquire a great amount of skills and knowledge.
I finished the program in July and just got accepted into a bootcamp here in Boston. I would recommend this school to anyone new to coding; go for it, you will not regret it!
- Kick-start your Coding Journey with FSC!- 4/5/2019Varuni Sinha • Digital Arts Journalist • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: Online
I found all the teachers extremely approachable and never hesitated to talk about conceptual roadblocks I faced along the way. The team at First Step Coding is dedicated to help you learn. That is not only their motto on paper—it's evident in their attitude toward every student.
I strongly recommend the online learning platform, as well. Not only does it allow you to attend classes after a long day of work, it also offers access to recorded classes that you can revisit to brush up questions/concepts that require a deeper understanding.
The accountability aspect of the course helps drive confidence in students, who are pushed to tackle 5-10 questions on new concepts learnt on a weekly basis. By the end of the course, students like me start feeling more confident about the distance travelled. I am now in the process of applying to reputed bootcamps in New York City based on my training with First Step BootCamp Prep!
- Start to code with First Step Coding!- 1/31/2019Gulnara Khalitova • Data Analyst • Graduate • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: San Francisco
I had a great experience in a Java Script Crash Course through First Step Coding. It's perfect for the aspiring coder. They are very attentive to the needs of their students and they gave great feedback throughout the course. I would certainly recommend this program to anyone interested in coding, with or without coding experience.