first-step-coding--logo

First Step Coding

Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, San Francisco, San Jose, Silicon Valley, Washington

First Step Coding

First Step Coding offers an 8-week, part-time full-stack development course in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and online. Designed to help people figure out if they want a career in coding, students will learn the fundamentals of JavaScript, HTML, & CSS. The course starts with in-person (or online) core training lasting 4 weeks, followed by 3 weeks of front-end web-development (online). The course concludes with 1-week of mock interviews and bootcamp advising (online). Students can work at their own pace during the online sections of the course but will follow a structured schedule during the in-person phase.

With a 6:1 student to instructor ratio, students are taught by experienced industry professionals from MakeSpace and Google; some are also coding bootcamp alumni. Students will be immersed in a hands-on approach to learning – First Step Coding will show brief demos and then give students opportunities to apply new concepts through progressive challenges.

This course is designed for complete beginners. To apply, prospective students will need to fill out an online form and have a quick phone call with the First Step Coding team.

Recent First Step Coding Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (56) reviews for First Step Coding →

Recent First Step Coding News

• Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Algorithms, Front End
    In PersonPart Time6 Hours/week
    This course is divided up into a series of three modules. Core Training has a strict meeting schedule & pace, but other modules allow for some flexibility. CORE TRAINING: 4 WEEKS (IN-PERSON) • Meet two evenings per week in a classroom with a 6:1 ratio of students to teachers. • Work through challenges isolating specific learning objectives in JavaScript, HTML, & CSS. • Get live support from instructors during class & office hours. FRONT END WEB DEVELOPMENT: 3 WEEKS (ONLINE) • Learn to develop like a professional using VS Code • Master debugging in Chrome Dev Tools • Delve deeper into intermediate topics with an additional guest lecture • Build an interactive front-end for an API-driven web application in a final capstone project - with opportunities to add your own creative features MOCK INTERVIEWS & ADVISING: 1 WEEK (ONLINE) • Complete a mock bootcamp interview with an instructor and receive your official Bootcamp Readiness Score • Get advising and recommendations on next steps in your coding journey
    Financing plans are available
    Tuition PlansPayment plans are available
    Refund / GuaranteeUp to $1,500
    Minimum Skill LevelComplete beginner
  • Introduction to Coding in JavaScript

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Algorithms
    LocationLos Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, San Jose, New York City, Boston, Online, Silicon Valley
    This course is designed for complete beginners to coding. You'll be able to call yourself "code literate" and comfortable with the fundamentals of JavaScript, HTML, & CSS. This is a highly tuned, fast-paced program. At the end of just four weeks, you'll be able to: • Learn the fundamentals of coding in JavaScript, HTML, & CSS • Gain an intimate understanding of how applications interface with APIs and handle data • Think algorithmically and problem solve like a programmer. • Communicate more effectively with your technical co-workers. • Start automating some of your repetitive tasks at work. You will be immersed in a hands-on approach to learning, and you'll be writing code with us from day one. Rather than lecturing you, we'll show you brief demos and then give you opportunities to apply new concepts through progressive challenges. Note: If you're looking for a slightly longer course with time dedicated to coding bootcamp preparation, you might consider our 8-week Bootcamp Prep course.
    Deposit$300 minimum
    Tuition PlansTuition plans are available
    Minimum Skill LevelComplete beginner
  • Bootcamp Prep
    - 4/9/2020
    Maria Scott  User Photo
    Maria Scott • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I highly recommend First Step Coding's  "Bootcamp Prep Course " as an introduction to the curriculum, and format you'll experience in a Bootcamp.
    Andy and Shlomy were great instructors.  They have both technical expertise and teaching skills. The  final “interview” with Kurt at the end of the class put me on the data science path. The material from this course gave me a good foundation to start prepping for a bootcamp.
    I just graduated from Metis' Data Science Bootcamp, and it all started with the Bootcamp Prep Course.
  • Demystifying Code
    - 8/26/2019
    Gabriel  User Photo
    Gabriel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Don't know where to start? Looking to take your first step? First step coding has got your back.

I've always been tech "savvy". I knew my way around a computer and I knew what coding was but I could not for the life of me "code". I'd tried before. I googled here and there and looked at programming subreddits but there's so many places to start that it's daunting for someone with no direction. First Step Coding helped set me on a path. Rather than showing me what to do they showed me how to do it. I can now confidently look at code as more than just a random assortment of words, symbols and numbers. And while there's always more to learn, I know that now it's not a matter of if I can understand it but when.

If you're unsure of whether coding is the right path for you or not, you don't have to go through a full 4-year course or enroll into a bootcamp, first step coding can and will clear any doubts.

I had a great run here and my instructors were both friendly and very helpful.

• Eugene Chang  User Photo
    Eugene Chang • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Took an online course and learned a lot during the whole program. I recommend it for anyone whos trying to dip their toes into computer programming.

This course is by no means a walk in the park. It is challenging enough that you need to dedicate time towards homework and reviewing past content to grasp core concepts as classes build on top of each other.

• Sysamone Phaphon  User Photo
    Sysamone Phaphon Verified via LinkedIn

It's tough to attend any in person coding program when you are a parent. Add single parent to the title and it's even more difficult to balance and find an appropriate sitter to watch your kids while you go code for a few hours. The team at First Step Coding is ridiculously accommodating and supportive. I'm a single parent of two and at times, I couldn't make the in person teachings but my instructor made sure to make himself readily available to keep me on track with the rest of the students via a 1 on 1 online tutoring session. This type of flexibility and accommodation is not available in other bootcamps. The way the curriculum is setup with the addition of educational videos and knowledge check points really helped me grasped what I was learning. Their were definitely some challenges, however the support from the instructor, TA and team at First Step Coding, really helped me get through.

• Hugo Xiong  User Photo
    Hugo Xiong • Teacher and Entrepreneur • Applicant Verified via LinkedIn

This is a great course for anyone who is looking for a structured way to get started with coding. As the co-founder of an online language learning startup, I wanted to learn more about fundamental web technologies like HTML, CSS, and Javascript to better understand the technical side of product development. The First Step Coding curriculum met all my expectations. The teachers are great, the programming challenges are wonderfully paced, and the pair-programming method of learning is extremely helpful for creating deeper understanding. After taking it, I now feel much more fluent and confident when communicating with developers. On a personal note, I was also pleasantly surprised by how fun coding can be. If you've ever solved a challenging puzzle or constructed the perfect sentence, then you've experienced a little of the pleasure of coding. Can't recommend this class enough!

• Matthew  User Photo
    Matthew • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had always wanted to code, but I knew next to nothing about programming languages, problem-solving, etc. After starting with a few free resources, I looked into finding reputable and structured programs that could help me to the next level. First Step Coding provided me with the opportunity to participate in some live, online classes with helpful teachers and other students also interested in starting their journeys as coders. I felt like the classes were simple to follow and the materials, homework, and projects gave me the knowledge and experience I needed to establish a foothold in programming while guiding me toward my second step. What I learned in First Step Coding not only in terms of languages, but also problem-solving methodology has already helped me to feel empowered and successful in the initial stages of the boot camp I started in the past few weeks. I think what First Step Coding offers is great for people looking to gain skills in web development and further their education for the purposes of enhancing their current career or future career opportunities as well as for their own satisfaction.

• Austin Pratama  User Photo
    Austin Pratama • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

As a business student in Finance and Information Systems, I never had the confidence to enroll in a computer science class. First Step Coding gave me the fundamentals and knowledge to tackle many programming challenges as well as the confidence to apply to top bootcamps around the US. Instructors are there to help you through any problems as well as other questions you might have about programming!

If you are completely new programming, First Step Coding is definetely a go to!

• Catherine Ferguson  User Photo
    Catherine Ferguson • Physician • Applicant Verified via LinkedIn

I was a complete coding newbie and really enjoyed First Step Coding! It was a good introduction to the fundamental concepts in coding. The homework and classes helped me solidify my understanding of many of the essential coding functions that I have continued to use while learning Python for data science. The instructor was always available to answer any questions and help me work through problems. I highly recommend it as your first stepping stone to a coding career

• Graham Cartwright  User Photo
    Graham Cartwright • Sales Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As a Sales Rep in the Greater Boston Area, I’ve had a fair share of hands on experience with technical products and demonstrations in my field. So when it came time to make a switch to a more technical role, theres only so much you can teach yourself about coding from 101 websites or YouTube. Sure there are outstanding bootcamps in the area, but I wasn’t sure if that was something I was ready to invest full time or serioius money in. When I came across First Step Coding, their curriculum checked most if not all of the boxes on the job requirements I was interested in, so it was a no-brainer! Their instructors are experts in the vast amount of material covered in the course, and made themselves available after hours for questions with any assignments or topics. I’m confident having completed the course that it gave me the competitive edge adequate enough to establish myself as a technical sales rep and land a job in that field.

• Jacob Shobin  User Photo
    Jacob Shobin • Student • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

First Step Coding was an excellent intro course that helped solidify my interest in coding. The teachers were very encouraging and I found myself motivated to learn more about programming after each lesson. The amazing thing about First Step Coding is that it allows you to get into programming with little or no prior knowledge of how to code. Whether you're interested to learn at home by yourself or through a company, it can be stressful and hard to take that first step to learn how to code. That's where First Step Coding comes in, as they offer an excellent support system to take that plunge and pursue coding. Thanks to everyone at FSC, I am now two months in at an intensive Full Stack Web Development bootcamp based in Tel Aviv.

• Sophie  User Photo
    Sophie • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was not sure what to expect when I first signed up for this course. I had been thinking about attending a bootcamp to learn to code and to have a career change but was not sure if it would be a good fit for me. First Step Coding was an excellent way to test out the waters while keeping the current job. They have small classes (we had 5 people in mine) which was also very nice and I felt comfortable asking questions to the instructor during and in between the classroom sessions via Slack.

After the 4 week Intro course, I found coding to be quite fun and enjoyable and now I've signed up for a bootcamp with one of their bootcamp partners (I received a discount off the tuition for being a FSC alumni, amount varies depending on the bootcamp and also seems to be changing constantly so probably should check the FSC website for updated info).

I would highly recommend the course to anybody who is interested in learning to code - I think it gives you a good foundation to work with and also gives you a chance to see if you like coding at all!

Response From: Calli Rothberg of First Step Coding
    Title: Student Success Manager
    Wednesday, Oct 10 2018
    Congrats again on completing Launch Academy and getting hired as a developer! We hope you're loving your new career!
  • my code review
    - 4/25/2018
    eduardo bernal  User Photo
    eduardo bernal Verified via LinkedIn

First step coding was a great thing for me, they have created a great environment for entry level coders yet at the same time give you the tools that give you the capability to expand as far as you like.I felt comfortable asking the same question 3 times from 3 different angles If i really had to. My hats off to Andy and everyone for making this program a program with a great student to teacher ratio and also having the one-on-ones which are really helpful. Highly recommend this to anyone interested into learning coding it has been great learning experience. Want to thank Calli for helping me throughout the course and special thanks to my professor Jake an awesome individual with much dedication to make sure you are learning and taking what you need to take from the class. Also want to thank Arthur who was a great ton of help in the moments you need it the most.I had a fun time learning at this program.