Evolve Security Academy
Evolve Security Academy offers two 16-week, part-time cybersecurity bootcamp options. Bootcamp PRO is in-person, based in Chicago, IL and Bootcamp REMOTE is live-online. Evolve Academy teaches students concrete and practical cybersecurity skills they will actually need on the job. During the course, students gain real work experience through the live security assessment work they perform on not-for-profit organizations. Students will experience immersive and hands-on training delivered through live instruction, recorded lectures, and lab tutorials. The curriculum includes 12 modules – networking, application stack, intro to cybersecurity, current threat landscape, security, social engineering, defense/detection, security hardening, cryptography, vulnerability, incident response, and job search preparation.
Prospective students fill out a preliminary application online, and are then invited to fill out a full application. Applicants can expect a phone screen, recommended prep exercises, and an interview. Candidates should be passionate and curious. 1 to 3 years experience in IT or development is strongly considered, but not required. Throughout the course, Evolve Security Academy prepares students to find a job with interview and job preparation. With over 350,000 unfilled cyber security jobs in the U.S. and 1,000,000 globally, their primary focus is on creating top-tier cyber security talent and placing them into high-paying jobs.
Successful graduates of the cybersecurity bootcamps will receive a designation of Evolve Security Certified Professional (ESCP) certification after successful completion of written and lab exams, and preparation for the CompTIA Security+ certification.
Advanced training is also available on Penetration Testing. This part-time training is 5-weeks of immersive and hands-on training, delivered remotely through live instruction, recorded lectures and lab tutorials. Students will gain the knowledge to deliver a full penetration test, from scoping to reporting, at the network and application layer. Each lab is created based off real world situations encountered by Evolve Security penetration testers. Interested students can register online for this course.
Recent Evolve Security Academy Reviews: Rating 4.89
Recent Evolve Security Academy News
- Linux, Penetration Testing, Mobile Security, Ethical Hacking, Network Security, Python
In PersonPart Time15 Hours/week16 Weeks
Start Date None scheduled Cost $12,500 Class size 16 Location Chicago16-weeks of in-person, immersive and hands-on training in Chicago delivered with face-to-face instruction, recorded lectures and lab tutorials. Students receive a hands-on holistic curriculum, real work experience, job preparation, and a vast network of adjunct instructors in an intimate classroom setting. Curriculum Outline: - Intro to Cyber Security - Security Program - Networking - Scripting for Security - Security Operations Architecture - Security Operations Threat Modeling - Threat Intelligence - Cryptography - OSINT & Social Engineering - AppSec & Offensive Security - Threat Hunting & Incident Response - Job Search Preparation Outcome: Upon successful completion of the bootcamp, graduates are able to not only understand the theory behind information security, but also how to apply it in real world situations In addition, graduates receive: - Certificate of Completion and 232 CPE credits upon successfully completing the course requirements and final exam. - Evolve Security Certified Professional (ESCP) certification upon meeting course requirements - and passing the final ESCP lab exam. - CompTIA Security+ Certification voucher to take the certification within 90 days after the bootcamp at no cost. - A network of cybersecurity professionals and experts from different organizations and backgrounds. - Real world project experience as a Security Apprentice that ca be shared with potential employers. - Preparation for other information security certifications if pursuing them. - Job preparation services and support in landing a cybersecurity related job.
Deposit $1000 FinancingFinancing is available through SkillsFund. Tuition Plans Option 1: Pay full tuition upfront. A $250 discount will be applied to tuition Option 2: Pay half upfront / half at week 8 Scholarship Scholarships available for veterans, women, and minorities. GI Bill funding for eligible veterans pending approval.
Minimum Skill Level Basic Computer Science, Networking and Linux Command Line. https://www.evolvesecurity.com/academy/getting-started-career-in-cybersecurity Prep Work Enroll in our free Fundamentals of Cybersecurity course: https://www.evolvesecurity.com/academy/getting-started-career-in-cybersecurity Placement Test No Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost $3,200 Class size 20 Location ChicagoThis training is 5-weeks of immersive and hands-on training, delivered remotely through live instruction, recorded lectures and lab tutorials. Students will gain the knowledge to deliver a full penetration test, from scoping to reporting, at the network and application layer. Each lab is created based off real world situations encountered by Evolve Security penetration testers. There is no capture the flag exercises, made up scenarios or silly puzzles. This training is designed for anyone who wants to become a penetration tester or who is interested on how hacker breaches an organization. Topics Covered: - Approaches to Penetration Testing & Legality - Scoping & Rules of Engagement - Threat Modeling - The Methodology - Information Gathering / Discovery - Vulnerability Scanning, Analysis and Its Limitations - Phishing & Social Engineering - Web Application and API Testing / Exploitation - Windows and Linux Environment Testing / Exploitation - Password Cracking / Brute Force - Evasion Techniques - Post Exploitation, Pivoting and Persistence - Reporting and Remediation Outcome: Students will have the knowledge and skills to perform a penetration testing assessment on an organization and report the findings / vulnerabilities. Students are exposed to numerous types of practical vulnerable systems that are readily seen in the industry and will have the understanding of how to identify, exploit and remediate them. Each week, students work through various labs that will give you the concrete, hands-on work experience. Upon successful completion of the course material and final lab assessment report, you will receive the Evolve Security Certified Penetration Tester (ESCPT) certification and 50 CPE credits.
Deposit Full payment due upon registration.
Minimum Skill Level Basic Computer Science, Networking and Linux Command Line. This training is designed to be challenging, no matter what your technical background is. Prep Work Recommended prep exercises can be found here: https://www.evolvesecurity.com/academy/live-online-penetration-testing-training Placement Test No Interview No
- Linux, Penetration Testing, Mobile Security, Ethical Hacking, Network Security, Python
OnlinePart Time15 Hours/week16 Weeks
Start Date None scheduled Cost $10,500 Class size 35 Location Chicago16-weeks of live-online, immersive and hands-on training delivered with live instruction through video conference, recorded lectures and lab tutorials. Students receive a hands-on holistic curriculum, real work experience, job preparation, and a vast network of adjunct instructors in an online group learning environment. Curriculum Outline: - Intro to Cyber Security - Security Program - Networking - Scripting for Security - Security Operations Architecture - Security Operations Threat Modeling - Threat Intelligence - Cryptography - OSINT & Social Engineering - AppSec & Offensive Security - Threat Hunting & Incident Response - Job Search Preparation Outcome: Upon successful completion of the bootcamp, graduates are able to not only understand the theory behind information security, but also how to apply it in real world situations In addition, graduates receive: - Certificate of Completion and 232 CPE credits upon successfully completing the course requirements and final exam. - Evolve Security Certified Professional (ESCP) certification upon meeting course requirements - and passing the final ESCP lab exam. - CompTIA Security+ Certification voucher to take the certification within 90 days after the bootcamp at no cost. - A network of cybersecurity professionals and experts from different organizations and backgrounds. - Real world project experience as a Security Apprentice that ca be shared with potential employers. - Preparation for other information security certifications if pursuing them. - Job preparation services and support in landing a cybersecurity related job.
Deposit $1000 FinancingFinancing is available through SkillsFund Tuition Plans Option 1: Pay full tuition upfront. A $250 discount will be applied to tuition Option 2: Pay half upfront / half at week 8 Scholarship Scholarships available for veterans, women, and minorities. Apply when completing your full application.
Minimum Skill Level Basic Computer Science, Networking and Linux Command Line. https://www.evolvesecurity.com/academy/getting-started-career-in-cybersecurity Prep Work Enroll in our free Fundamentals of Cybersecurity course: https://www.evolvesecurity.com/academy/getting-started-career-in-cybersecurity Placement Test No Interview Yes
Evolve Security Academy Reviews
64 reviews sorted by:
- Evolve is the GOAT!- 8/6/2020Avi Lichtschein • Security Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedInPROS: tremendous overview of the cybersecurity landscape.I’m very happy to have attended Evolve Security Academy (I opted for the remote bootcamp option), as I had an excellent experience and it was a great step to starting my IT/ cybersecurity career. While it's impossible to cover every aspect of cybersecurity in 17 weeks, the course provided a well-thought-out curriculum and a structured approach to covering the material (for example: starting with Networking => security frameworks => OSINT etc- the material built on itself). We also had great instructors who- not only conveyed the lessons in a clear, patient manner- but also tied in real-life examples that they’d encountered from their job experience. Lastly, we also had a capstone project where we conducted a full scale security assessment for a not-for-profit from start to finish. It was pretty sweet.
CONS: No place is perfect, but whatever concerns or issues I had while was in the cohort... were always dealt with in an immediate and helpful fashion.
Besides its sterling reputation, as more and more cohorts graduate, attending Evolve becomes more and more valuable thanks to its strong budding alumni network. Would definitely recommend and if you have any specific questions or would like to hear more about my experience at Evolve, feel free to DM me on Twitter.
- The end of unit quizzes & competency assessments should be treated a bit more seriously- when the time came to take the final, I realized I wasn't as strong in a couple areas than I thought I had been. Looking back it was because I had missed the quiz/ competency assessment for that unit. Thankfully I buckled down and quickly strengthened the material I needed to- but I wish I had been “hounded down” to have taken it sooner.
- Joshua Loh • Graduate • Verified via LinkedInJoining Evolve Security Academy is a great first step to start your Cybersecurity education. I had no prior IT experience before joining the bootcamp but the hands-on education with the security tools, the support provided by the instructor and AIs were beneficial to me grasping the knowledge. Although the bootcamp was intense, it was a great learning experience, the knowledge and information I gained from this bootcamp will put me in good stead for my future career in Cybersecurity.
- Jumping into cybersecurity- 7/28/2020Ziara Torres • Course: REMOTE Bootcamp (Live-Online) • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInI would say that prospective students should get the Comptia Security+ study guide to go through while going through this course. Really helps explain topics (in extra detail) that will come up and you'll be ready to use the exam voucher by the end of it!
My cohort had a good size of people from all different backgrounds. Assistant Instructors were friendly and approachable.
Martin as the career coach is really great; I have a lot of confidence that following his module will really help in professional networking and getting a job.
Being as I was totally new to the cybersecurity field this was a really good course for me to be exposed to different areas but if you're someone who has spent some time in the field maybe it'd be better for one of their more advanced courses!
One thing I'd warn is that it's a bit of time commitment but if you find yourself with time during quarantine then maybe it's time to try something new
- Begin a Cyber Career- 7/28/2020Harrison Yates • Data Center Technician • Student • Course: REMOTE Bootcamp (Live-Online) • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInThe Evolve Cyber Bootcamp was a great experience for me. A wide range of topics is covered throughout the course by instructors who have spent years in the field. My particular instructor had been a part of the U.S. Air Force and gone on to later work for the NSA. He was great about going in depth on topics and spending time in areas that students had questions even if it didn't necessarily relate directly to the curriculum. The topics covered in the course are the same ones you will consistently see on cyber security job postings. The job placement rate in my class was very high and Evolve helped to facilitate our job searches as much as possible. Many of the students in my class started in all sorts of fields that weren't cyber related and ended up with positions before or just after the end of the course.
- Awesome Learning Experience- 5/17/2020Josh Ma • Information Security Professional • Graduate • Course: IN-PERSON (Chicago) Bootcamp • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInI couldn’t think of a better place to start my new cybersecurity career than at Evolve Security Academy! I loved the bootcamp and learning alongside my 13 cohort mates. I’m impressed at how much the instructors have fit into their curriculum and supplemented the lectures with solid labs. As a cohort, we had the opportunity to perform an actual security assessment of a local non-profit organization and present our findings. There’s great value in learning not just how to ethically hack an organization, but to communicate the findings to clients as well. Evolve allowed me to do all of that.
The instructors are great, and more importantly, they are also working professionals during the day (classes are at night) so all of their instruction is rooted in practice. Their passion for Cybersecurity is infectious - it’s clear they all love what they do. Outside of instruction, I found their admin/admissions team to be amazing. As one of their first GI Bill applicants, they patiently helped me navigate a complicated process to apply my education benefits.
Note for Vets: My bootcamp was in the summer of 2019. At the time, I was receiving only partial BAH because the course was designated as part-time by the Illinois VA Dept. If you intend to use the GI Bill, check with Evolve’s Admissions team if that has changed, or understand that you may also receive partial BAH.
My main criticism is that I wish the curriculum spent more time on defensive (blue team) learning than on offensive (red team). Security is so nuanced and specialized that it would be impossible to cover both in depth in just a single bootcamp. It’s a lot to ask for, I admit. But, you’ll find that more jobs align with security operations, incident response, and risk management than with penetration testing, so it makes more sense to tailor the bootcamp curriculum to the industry’s overall demands. Evolve's Advanced Pen Testing course, which I’ve taken and loved, is the better venue to dive deep into red teaming.
The job assistance also started later than I preferred. We touched on the job search, prep, and interview process a bit during the bootcamp, but those didn’t really kick off until after graduation.
Overall, I rate Evolve Security Academy a solid 9/10. I loved the experience and the people, and if I could do it all over, I wouldn’t hesitate to start there again. Good luck!
- Student- 5/11/2020Isaiah • Student • Course: IN-PERSON (Chicago) Bootcamp • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInEvolve Security Had a vast amount of information to learn from, I loved the course material as it is updated and fresh. The instructors do an amazing job at teaching the material and are very patient with students that needed help. The school is a lot of fun and very hands on. They also help with job searches in the cyber department, highly recommended to anyone that struggles with job searching after they have obtained their certification!
-very Knowledgeable staff
-Extra fun activities for the students to increase skills(safe pentesting)
-Getting real world experience with other company's to see what it's like.
You get the most out of the course in person which I would recommend you taking for the more hands on experience!
-Short time span: If the Course was longer we could spend more time on the material.
But Overall Evolve Security is an amazing school if you want to increase your knowledge on cyber security and I highly recommend Evolve to anyone that is trying to advance in their career of cyber security. I really want to thank the instructors for all the help and support they have giving me on my journey on learning the material!
- Great experience- 5/7/2020Kenneth Gordon • Security Analyst • Graduate • Course: IN-PERSON (Chicago) Bootcamp • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInI attended the cyber security boot camp fall session at Evolve Security. I never attended a boot camp before so I didn't know what to expect. Coming from the legal field with little technology skills I can honestly say I was a little intimidated. the intimidation went away on the first day. The staff and professors were awesome!! They understood most of their students work full time jobs, new to the cyber security field, and nervous lol. The Evolve Cyber Security experience was GREAT! I learned so much information and the hands on training was like non other. You work with real companies while attending the boot camp. The labs, training, quizzes, and 24 hr help..... Evolve has the perfect ingredients to help you launch your career in the cyber Field.
Pros: Flexibility, real life situations, small class, free vouchers for certifications, job placement help, free training material, webinars/meetups.
Cons: only 1 professor in class. I think 2 professors will compliment the classroom.
- Great Overall Experience!- 5/7/2020Jacob Fernung • Graduate • Course: IN-PERSON (Chicago) Bootcamp • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInI attended Evolve Security's in-person cybersecurity academy in the summer of 2019. This 16 week long course was instrumental in shaping my future career path, and teaching me the industry of cybersecurity. Prior to attending the academy, I had zero knowledge of the cyber world, and felt unsure if I was fit to participate in the academy. Yet the instructors helped quickly get me up-to-speed during the first few weeks, and were extremely helpful during the entirety of the course. From learning Python, using Splunk, to running vulnerability scans with Burp Suite, I was able to get a comprehensive understanding of relevant tools and how to use them. Perhaps my favorite part of the bootcamp was the hands-on, real-world experience gained by working alongside a local non-profit organization to perform a full security assessment. Would highly recommend for anyone interested in going into a career in InfoSec.
- Great Bootcamp- 3/16/2020Syd • Verified via LinkedInI am so glad I decided to do this course. Evolve Security designed a bootcamp that gave me the tools and foundational knowledge to start a strong career in cybersecurity. All of the TAs were really informative and took time to help me think through challenges. I also had the chance to nerd out with peers and teachers on current cybersecurity trends. I can now speak confidently about cybersecurity from a technical and policy perspective. 10/10 would recommend.
- Amazing Experience- 2/27/2020Oak Latt • Graduate • Course: IN-PERSON (Chicago) Bootcamp • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInEvolve was very helpful in every step of the way from learning to job placement. The curriculum and projects based on real world situations supplemented my college education and really prepared me for the industry. Moreover, the networking opportunities it provided has been instrumental during the job search. I believe my time at Evolve has equipped me with necessary skills and confidence for a career in Cybersecurity.
I had the unique experience of participating in the Evolve Security 17-week live in structor led bootcamp, an incredible experience, the Academy team works tirelessly to incorporate feedback and improve the coursework, labs, and direction of future modules. Having one foot in the bootcamp as a student, and one foot in the office as an employee, the appreciation of seeing how well balanced this program is, and my ability to contribute raw feedback was a rewarding experience. This is a fantastic program, and I'm increasingly proud of what I've learned and my ability to speak to aspects of security, both from a policy and technical perspective, that would have been improbable or prohibitively difficult to learn on my own, and with out the infrastructure of this program.
- Ryan Le • Software Developer • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedIn
If you are looking for the best way to break into cybersecurity and willing to put in the work, the bootcamp is the perfect fit for you. I learned so many different tools and techniques about hacking within the 17-week period. I started the bootcamp as a novice who barely had any knowledge about networking, but after the bootcamp with a lot of practices on many different labs, I was able to comfortably run an assessment on a host or even a subnet (from initial scan for host discovery to exploitation and reporting). Besides, I really enjoyed those blue team – red team exercises where we were divided into team and started attacking on each other. These exercises really helped me get better understanding about hacking from different vantage points, both defensive and offensive sides. As a software developer, I found this experience very valuable since it helped me become more aware about security and know how to properly harden my system to prevent potential attacks. All in all, I am very satisfied with the experience I got from the bootcamp and definitely recommend anyone who has an interest in cybersecurity.