epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Online, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a full-time coding bootcamp offering 27-week courses, with the first 5 weeks offered for free, in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web or mobile developer by learning Ruby and Rails, Front-End Development and Design, or C# and React. Each track includes Intro to Programming and JavaScript. At Epicodus, students learn how to build web applications from top to bottom with modern technologies and practices. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry.

Every track also includes job search preparation for students; support and instruction in crafting resumes, cover letters, portfolios, and online presences. Career support staff meets one-on-one with every student to review and practice interviewing skills. After completing courses, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes. To kick off their job search, graduates participate in a Demo Day where they present projects to local, hiring employers.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.74

all (151) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (10) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    Seattle, Portland
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 5-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend five weeks learning C#. C# is developed by Microsoft and most commonly used with the .NET framework. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. Each track also includes a 5-week JavaScript course. After studying C# you'll jump into five weeks of JavaScript, the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. Next, you'll spend five weeks learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once, without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011 it has exploded in popularity. Finally, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    $100
    Yes, available through Climb Credit and Skills Fund.
    October 14, 2019 - Seattle
    January 6, 2020 - Seattle
    January 6, 2020 - Portland
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time Evening)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Online, Seattle, Portland
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites
    None
    October 14, 2019 - Online
    January 6, 2020 - Online
    October 14, 2019 - Seattle
    January 6, 2020 - Seattle
    October 14, 2019 - Portland
    January 6, 2020 - Portland
  • Ruby and React

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, REST
    Portland
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 5-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend five weeks learning Ruby. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. Each track also includes a 5-week JavaScript course. Each track also includes a 5-week JavaScript course. After studying Ruby you'll jump into five weeks of JavaScript, the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. Next, you'll spend five weeks learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once, without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011 it has exploded in popularity. Finally, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through Climb Credit and Skills Fund.
    October 14, 2019 - Portland

• Marc Larkin  User Photo
    Marc Larkin • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I applied to Epicodus in October 2016 for the January - June Full Time C#/Javascript development course.

Financing was easy to obtain, staff was very helpful with any question that I had pertaining to the the enrollment process.

On the first day of class I was surprised at the classroom environment. It was very open and they were just setting up in a new building. For about a month my class was the only one in the building, but every few weeks a new class began and the empty building filled with more desks and computers.

One of the biggest perks was the pair programming environment. It really fostered effective communication--a crucial skill in any work environment. My group did not have any experienced programmers and I think that worked to our benefit.

We all worked day by day through trial and error. Not a single day I can remember was easy; the curriculum was challenging. Sometimes it was frustrating, but if you don't make any mistakes how can you learn a lesson?

There was some instruction involved, and instructors were available when pairs got stuck. Most of the time we were left to ourselves to figure everything out after a quick morning briefing on the days topic. We would ask other pairs for help before asking the instructors; this was also beneficial.

Every pair approached handling the exact same problems in different manners. Some of us had a clear understanding of object-oriented programming. Some of us understood design. Some of us understood databases. You get the point. Everyone had their strengths and weaknesses, good days and bad days.

I would be lying if I said you could skate by without studying at home. There is a lot to take in. I will say, however, that if you don't want to work hard to gain a new skillset why are you thinking of going through a full time course?

It is a very fast paced environment for those who want a career change quickly. If you're trying to socialize, if you're just trying to breeze through a program to get a job quick, if you're just trying to develop a new hobby, do yourself and your future classmates a favor. Stay home and study through Google, Youtube, Lynda, or an online course.

This program requires a lot of focus, time, dedication, motivation, open-mindedness, and effort. A majority of your classmates WILL be grinding away at school and at home. Living and breathing code because they are dedicated to changing their, and their family's, lives. A handful of students dropped the course. Some due to circumstance, some because they didn't believe they could do it.  I'm very proud to say I finished the course. It was intense. I had to work with 30 people I had never met before and I'm far from gregarious; more of a hermit, really. I learned HTML, CSS, Javascript, TypeScript, C#, Razor, SQL, Git, Firebase, ASP.NET Core 1.1, Ember.js, Angular2, and a few other technologies. All in six months.

Am I a master at any of these things? NO. Nobody in my class is, but plenty of my classmates found their niche with what they enjoyed most in class and are now employed. The job is where you'll master your skills and If you know HOW to program you will be able to find a job.

Speaking of jobs, Epicodus also offers job assistance and internships. I haven't taken advantage of this as it isn't the route I'm going down, but everyone who wanted an internship was placed with a company for a month.

Some of my classmates have even been hired from their internships.

Epicodus is specifically for those who don't know how to program or think like a programmer.

Have you tried to teach yourself and failed? Have you had a desire to learn but haven't had the time to do it?

This program offers your the opportunity to learn, and I guarantee you won't have the time to do it. You'll be scared about dropping your life for six months. If you can dispel the fear, MAKE the time, and put in the work while you're there, I believe that you will find yourself comfortably employed as a developer in a position with plenty of room for growth with a new skillset that is highly valuable.

That's my two cents--best of luck to you.

• Liz Tom • Creative Technologist • Graduate

Before Epicodus I was working freelance in the entertainment industry and knew nothing about web development.  I decided to take the risk and move to Portland to take Epicodus.

Curriculum: The course is set up so you watch videos at night and work through various problem sets during school hours.  There were times that I was frustrated when I didn't get clear answers from the instructors but have come to appreciate that a lot.  They were teaching us how to problem solve.  The course is set up to help you get a job as a developer and I've definitely used the problem solving skills I learned at Epicodus at my new job.  We learned by pair programming.  While I was nervous with pairing with a stranger everyday, I quickly found some great friends in my program.  I'm pretty sure I learned as much from my classmates as the instructors.

Job Support: At the end of the course, the instructors helped us with our LinkedIn profiles, resumes and online presence in general.  I never felt like I was floundering while searching for jobs.   Epicodus was there helping me find job openings and helping me with my interview skills.  Even though I'm in Washington DC right now, I know that if I ever wanted to return the area that Epicodus would be there for me to help me out in my job search.

Overall I had an amazing experience at Epicodus.  Be ready to be thrown in and don't expect a lot of hand holding.  Even though you might not understand why some days are not more structured, in the end I believe it's made me a better developer.  Epicodus is 100% the reason I've been able to transition careers smoothly.  The price is also an amazing part of the program.  I moved to Portland and paid for the course and I still ended up paying less some more expensive bootcamps.

• Aaron • Graduate

I attended Epicodus not knowing what to expect or what I would get out of it. Now, looking back, I can accurately say that Epicodus teaches the right way. The program is designed to provide structure and support without coddling or providing more than necessary. The best way to learn is through experience and Epicodus enabled me to experience failures in a way where I felt secure enough to push through them on my own but had the support of students and staff there to support me if I needed it. The program pays great attention to providing you with professional opportunities after it ends through their internship program and even to this day almost a year later I still am contacted by the staff asking how I'm doing, if I need anything and keeping me plugged into their network. If you're on the fence, apply already.

I entered Epicodus as a complete beginner. I had studied and prepared for class, but other than that, I zero background in anything related to computer science. Epicodus is an intense 40hr/wk Javascript/Ruby on Rails class that involves pair programming every day, along with extensive practice with test driven development. The best part about Epicodus is the hands-on learning every single day. No lectures, just coding all day long, which is great preparation for a programming job. I know I learn best while actually making and creating things, and this was no different. Our teachers were supportive and helpful, but even more than that, they had a great sense of when to help us, when to give us some thinking points to prod us along, and when to let us figure it out for ourselves. Epicodus has a wonderful staff who are dedicated to doing all they can to help junior devs get their start in the tech industry. I had an excellent internship experience, which Epicodus organized. Quitting my job and attending Epicodus is one of the best decisions I’ve made.

• Andrew Westling • Intern Web Developer • Graduate

Epicodus was a really good way to get my mind online. I did Epicodus in my first summer after graduating from architecture school — I naturally gravitate toward designing experiences and systems, but I realized about halfway through my degree that I was in the wrong domain and I wanted to move toward making digital things. I just needed a good environment in which to start learning, and Epicodus provided that for me.

I already had an pretty strong interest in the web before going. Hadn't made much with code before, but I had a rudimentary understanding of the bones of the web, and a weird background in studying philosophical issues of the internet (like property, privacy,  identity, etc) so that was helpful. Also had an high-level understanding of visual design from my degree, but take note that Epicodus isn't focused on cultivating or building design skills.

I treated Epicodus like an investment in myself — I was hoping to get a development job afterward (I did), but I figured that at the very least, I would be able to build my own web experiments and use those to show prospective employers my process for other projects.

Pair programming every day, well-designed curriculum, help when you need it, other learners around you, an awesome location, and a lot of career support. My internship company hired me so I didn't do a lot of interviewing aside from the rapid-fire week of internship interviews, but I'm employed and that's awesome considering I didn't know how to code six months ago.

• Nick • Junior Front-end Web Developer • Graduate

In Portland alone, there’s no shortage of web development course to choose from. Epicodus really stands out due to the learning environment, post-graduation support, and value.

The course is structured around pair programming with fellow students. You learn a lot about problem solving, patience, and how to relate to all different types of people when you code full-time all day with a partner. In addition to help from in-class instructors, there are weekly talks from folks in the web development community. I learned an incredible amount about programming in three months and built up a substantial portfolio of sample work, but the most important thing I learned is how to learn how to program. Languages and frameworks are always going to change, and Epicodus helped me develop the skills to keep learning.

Most students have the opportunity to do a month-long internship when the course is over. I was lucky enough to get a job at the company I interned for, but the Epicodus staff works very hard to find and create opportunities for their students as junior web developers at local companies. I had relatively little experience with programming before starting Epicodus, and one of my biggest worries was not finding a job after the class was over, but there’s a ton of demand in Portland for folks with the skills and experience my fellow students and I gained.

The time and money investment was relatively low compared to other schools--and especially compared to college courses--and it definitely paid off. I can’t recommend it highly enough!

• Excellent
    - 2/3/2015

• Anne • Graduate

If you are looking to change your career and interested in software industry but too afraid because you don't have a CS degree and going back to college is not an option, well, Epicodus is an answer for you.

I never thought that it would turn out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Epicodus is very effortable comparing to other bootcamps.

• Patti • Software Engineer • Graduate

I have my degree in Marketing and worked in an office for a few years before deciding I wanted to move on and try something else. While going back to school, a friend of mine told me about her experience at a web development bootcamp. After a bit of research online, and a lot of support from my husband, I decided to apply to Epicodus (it had a more diverse curriculum and for a much better price than the other programs I found online). The choice between spending $50K and 3 years earning a second degree or attending a 4 month long bootcamp for a fraction of the price with skills I could use right away, was easy.

Prior to the program I had basic HTML and CSS skills and by the end I had a well rounded full stack familiarity. The program is challenging - 8 hours every day paired with a partner trying to figure out programming problems can be wearing - but the effort is definitely worth it. We had access to Michael and two instructors when we had questions. They do a great job of giving you the space and encouragement to solve things on your own, but guide you in the right direction when you really need help.

Michael and the instructors spent countless hours setting up internship opportunities for each Epicodus student. I got a three month long summer internship with a great company in downtown Portland when the program was complete. I am now working alongside my husband, a senior developer, on our own web development company as well as working on our first consumer web product. I would highly recommend Epicodus to anyone considering a career in programming.

• Corey • Graduate

Epicodus is a fantastic bootcamp. The cost is very competitive, and the quality of instruction is absolutely first rate. I joined the program in the spring of 2014, and got my first paying programming job 2 months after I graduated. It wasn't an easy walk in the park though. When I finished the program I spent most of my days developing a side project and most of my nights sending out applications until I finally landed that job. But Epicodus was right there by my side every step of the way even after graduation. As long as you're willing to put in the work the staff at Epicodus is willing to support you as best they can. They're just as invested in your success as you are.

• Tara Scherner de la Fuente • Associate Website Development Engineer • Graduate

I had a great experience at Epicodus in Portland. The instructors were top-notch and it cost less than most boot camps I’ve heard about. Folks pair pretty much every day, which I thought I’d find annoying, but I came to really appreciate the benefits of pairing—especially in interviews!

Within three months of graduating, I was a full time junior developer making 50% more than I made before I attended bootcamp. My educational background was in the liberal arts before I went to dev bootcamp, so I was starting pretty fresh with just one programming class in C# to call my name! I never coded outside of class (though I am sure I would have come out even stronger if I had--many did that), which some people worry about, I guess. I would say there can be an unstated peer pressure to do it, BUT the staff/instructors are REALLY good at trying to persuade folks not to learn and do it all outside the classroom. They wanted us to learn together. I took them at their word and rested my brain at night (after watching any brief homework videos)! I still dreamt in code! I was a slow mover, and I rarely drove when we paired, but I felt I learned more on days when I didn’t finish everything. I was perfectly fine with not being one of the fast ones who knew ALL THE THINGS!

Epicodus wasn't very selective when I joined (thank goodness!), but even so, only two people that I paired with were clearly weaker programmers, and we worked with new people just about every day for three months before our internships.

I was hired by a company that came to our job fair. So, my current success is really all about Epicodus, and I am so glad I did it. Changed my life! 10/10, would attend again!

• Kyle • Graduate

Attending Epicodus is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Everything about the class perfectly prepares you for the working world. The learning environment emulates the workplace so well that transitioning to a job afterwards was effortless. The curriculum heavily focuses on programming concepts and learning how to learn that even if you are studying in Ruby on Rails (as I did) you can easily pick up another language to excel at whatever job comes your way post-Epicodus. Last, and certainly not least, are the people. Every member of the Epicodus team helps to create the perfect environment, built to challenge you on a personal level, as well as foster incredible connections with your classmates and the programming community as a whole. All of which will last long after the Epicodus class has ended. Anyone who is remotely interested in programming would greatly benefit from attending Epicodus.

• Steven • Web Developer • Graduate

Epicodus delivers on its promise of preparing you for a career as a web developer. The focus on core developer skills such as Object Oriented Design and Test Driven Development helped me become a strong contributer at my job very quickly.

What I think makes the program stand out from the crowd is that it delivers this without breaking the bank and without making you spend 80 hours a week in class. It is focused, it is efficient, and it gets the job done.

• HIghly Recommended
    - 1/29/2015
    Peggy Condon

As a seasoned product manager and marketing business owner, I always wondered what it would be like to program every day and improve my skills in web development. I took the opportunity and time to invest in myself during Summer 14, and chose to come to Portland and Epicodus after comparing them to SF Bay Area alternatives.

Epicodus was less established than some well-known programs in the Bay Area, but offered both a longer 4 month and more “sane” program, with a 9-5 type schedule and an amazingly affordable price. After speaking with MIchael in a phone screen and reviewing their program online, it seemed like the best choice for me.

The experience was amazing, in that I paired with a variety of fun and diverse people from all kinds of backgrounds. I had some programming experience, but learned much more about Ruby, RAILS, TDD, and Javascript. Because of the flexibility and gradual buildup of the curriculum, people could move at their own pace and choose to pair with different or the same people who were at the same place in the curriculum, while being helped by a talented teaching staff.

The “discovery” learning approach that Epicodus uses puts the emphasis on learning by trial and error, driven by your own motivation rather than lots of time listening to someone talk at you about programming. This is very similar to working in the real world, you have to just jump in and do it, and build your problem solving and debugging skills. I think that this approach allows them to successfully mix students with very different backgrounds and skill levels.

For students who prefer a lecture type format, with everyone at the same experience level or lots of continuous instructor interaction I would not recommend Epicodus. It will also not be a good choice for those who like lots of structure and metrics in their learning as with the academic computer classes.

Things I would have liked more of in the curriculum: algorithms and data structures, design patterns and refactoring, and optimizing code for performance and maintainability. But that is too much to ask from a 4 month curriculum, better for a boot camp level II.

I was impressed by how fast many students new to programming were able to pick it up and produce working code, and learn the skills of collaboration, pair programming, daily standups, interviewing, and eventually got job placement.

The office is convenient to the excellent public transportation and bike-friendly streets here, and there are some great food carts all around the office for lunch. Each student shared a stand-up desk (which I really miss), and the office is close to the riverfront for lunchtime walking.

It also turned out that we really like Portland. We moved our consulting company here, and  I am now working in a senior role at a small company, and we have hired a total of 4 Epicodus graduates who are actively developing both front-end and back-end code for our e-commerce company.

The many tech resources in Portland include frequent meetups, lots of tech startups, and a growing number of large tech companies who are opening offices here. Leading tech companies like Tilde (Ember JS), New Relic, Intel, Salesforce, and Nike all have offices here. At Epicodus we had weekly lunch presentations from several of these companies, and job “fairs” to help graduates make the employment connection as interns and later as junior programmers.

The thing about programming is that getting good at it requires daily practice and time, and I think that the 4 month program gives you more time to develop skills and apply the concepts to small projects. Many of the other programs are much shorter, and only focus on one language like Javascript.

None of the bootcamps will make you an experienced developer, that is up to you to build skills every day. I do believe that bootcamps are more effective than many of the academic programming courses that I have taken in building real-world programming skills, especially using some of the newer technologies and approaches like pair programming, agile development,  javascript frameworks and TDD.

I would highly recommend Epicodus.

• Marty F

I was interested in coding for a while and started teaching myself, but wasn’t making very good progress until I came across Epicodus.  Two of the factors that helped me decide to take the plunge and enroll were price and location.  I can easily say that this was the best decision I have ever made.  Last year I gambled, left my job and moved to Portland in the hopes of becoming a developer.  Epicodus took what I was teaching myself and pushed it into overdrive.

What is the secret recipe?

1 - Start with one amazing instructor

2 - Sprinkle in former students with great knowledge and experience in the program

3 - Add an excellent curriculum and

4 - Supplement with eager students that come from different walks of life with the common goal of becoming a developer

Michael Kaiser-Nyman is extremely talented and invested in ensuring that everyone has a great experience at Epicodus.  He truly cares for everyone’s mental as well as emotional state when going through this bootcamp.  There is a genuine sense of family when you are at Epicodus and that is sparked by Michael’s leadership and values.  It’s not just about learning it is also about becoming a better person.  Michael tirelessly worked to make connections for every student in the Portland tech scene.  Michael set up internships at Portland tech firms which led to employment for many students and scheduled weekly talks from industry professionals and former students.  Michael also always kept students in the loop about meetups and encouraged our participation.  All of this immerses you in the field so much more than just learning the concepts on their own.

One of the strengths of Epicodus and a testament to this idea of family is that Michael has employed former students as teachers in the program to assist him in explaining concepts and also as a constant visual reminder that - yes it is possible.  The team assisting him is approachable and are a TREMENDOUS help in navigating the daily waters of learning at Epicodus. They had a knack for guiding us all towards the answer we were looking for without just telling us so that we could work through the issues and understand better.  The feeling of accomplishment when reaching the solution to a difficult problem was great. High fives around the room once a difficult problem was solved were not uncommon!  The idea is that, to be a programmer, you have to think like a programmer and the only way to get there is to fight through the tough problems and come up with a solution on your own as much as possible.  This I feel is one of the things that prepares Epicodus students so well for success in the real world.

The curriculum is great. It was accessible for someone like me who had never programmed in their life before coming to Epicodus, but was also challenging enough for other students who came to Epicodus with experience in programming. The curriculum always starts with the basics and then takes this concepts and continues to build upon what you learned the day before.  We covered many topics and were given great challenges to learn a concept.  We were always taught how to create something from the ground up so that there is a firm understanding of how and why something works.  There is a strong emphasis on testing and writing clean, DRY code.

Pair Programming is central to the experience at Epicodus and was a huge help to me.  At the start of the day we would select a pair who we would program with for the whole day and we were encouraged to select a different pair as much as possible.  This is great because by working with someone new everyday, you get to see different perspectives, work on skills together and push each other to places you probably would not have gone on your own.  It also places a great focus on the value of communication with your pair which helps you learn so much quicker.  There would be days where I was stuck and would learn from my pair, there were days where my pair was stuck and by virtue of explaining my thought process and talking about a solution I got a better understanding of the concept too.  Finally, there were many days where both of us would be stuck and we would fight through the problem together.  I cannot fully express how valuable pairing was and how much it helped me learn in such a short period of time.  It was great!

I am very happy I took the gamble and enrolled at Epicodus.  Without Michael and his team, I could have never jumped into the career I wanted and changed my life.  Epicodus not only gave me the knowledge base but also helped created connections and helped me to start thinking like a developer which all contributed to me currently being employed as a software engineer.  I highly recommend Epicodus.  It was an amazing experience!

• Eli • Front-end Developer • Graduate

Epicodus is inexpensive without compromising on value. The class size is one of the largest of many bootcamps I sampled. Honestly though, this was not an issue when you consider that you learn by grappling with programming concepts in pairs and have 3 instructors available to guide and point you in the right direction.

The location of the bootcamp was right in the center of the city. Its close to several well know tech companies and a good number of technology meetups. The technology community here in the city was amazing, take a peek here - http://calagator.org.

I didn't have or need a car while I was in Portland. The city has really good public transportation and its cheap.

• Robin • Software Engineer • Graduate

I am a graduate of the Epicodus Spring ’14 class, and I can honestly it changed my life. I was working as a business analyst (translation, spreadsheets all day every day) and found myself itching to get into more of a development role. I knew some SQL from my data analysis experience and I had taken a semester of C++ in college so I knew how much I was drawn to the beautiful logic of coding, but I really felt like a kid playing in the sandbox when it came to writing usable, efficient code and never dreamed I could actually gain the skills necessary to be a real live software developer. Going back and getting a second bachelor’s degree in Computer Science was out of the question because I didn’t want to spend 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars. I looked at self-directed resources online, but none of them seemed to have the real hands-on training necessary to actually land a job and it required more self-discipline than I knew I was capable of.

Then I found Epicodus. After only 4 months and only $3400 in tuition (much less than CS degree programs and even other code schools), I went from barely knowing any code to being employed as a contributing member of a software development team as an intern (I was later promoted to a full-fledged developer).

How did I learn everything I needed to know in 4 months? Well the answer really is, I didn’t. Four months was enough to get a grasp of Ruby, Rails and JavaScript, but by no means was I an expert in any of those by the end. What I really took away, was the ability to figure out anything I came across that I didn’t know.  If we didn’t know how to do something, or couldn’t figure out why something, we spent 20 minutes googling, or reading documentation, or asking our peers before any instructor swooped in to give us the answer. If I had been trying to learn on my own, those moments of frustration could easily have turned into giving up. But because I had the support of 59 other people in the same position as me, learning with me, I pushed through those moments of frustration and got to experience the moments of elation when you figure out what you had been missing.

In addition to having the support of classmates, the instructor support at Epicodus is amazing. Not only was I supported throughout the course while I learned, but once it was over, I knew they had my back in finding a job. I was lucky enough to be hired by the same company where I was placed for my Epicodus internship, but I know they did everything possible to make sure all of my classmates found positions as well.

Ultimately, because I chose to attend Epicodus, I am now in a career that is immensely gratifying and intellectually stimulating and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into software development.

• Justin • Graduate

Epicodus is a wonderful program at an incredible price. Immediately after graduating I received multiple interviews at established companies and have already received two job offers. Your mileage may vary, but this seems like a pretty common outcome for Epicodus grads.

Michael has done a great job of designing a curriculum that emphasizes best practices and technology used by actual software development companies. Anyone can learn how to hack around with a programming language or two. Epicodus, through behavior-driven development and pair-programming, teaches you how to solve problems using best practices as part of a team. That's invaluable.

I can't stress enough how much of a bargain this program is. Michael, Maureen, Dustin, and the rest of the staff are all doing an amazing job. Highly recommend.

• Katharine Chen • Software Engineer • Student

Due to the cost disparity between Epicodus and other code schools, I was initially a little wary of Epicodus. However after hearing feedback from engineering friends that have worked with Epicodus graduates, I made my decision to attend.

Epicodus was completely worth it. It was worth my time and money. If I had to narrow it down to two reasons why Epicodus was so great, it would have to be the internship program and the career/job support provided by Epicodus staff.

Epicodus’ internship program is amazing. Epicodus set me up with interviews with five different Portland startups for an internship during my fourth month of the program. Not only did Epicodus help me prepare for my interviews (e.g. reviewing resumes and projects), they also worked with companies to generate feedback for students. Working as a development intern for a month was incredibly invaluable—the value was truly apparent at my first job interview after Epicodus. There I was able to discuss and show the live code I worked on at my internship. I was also able to demonstrate that I was familiar and felt comfortable working a member of a fast-paced development team.

Epicodus provided amazing career and job support. They provided cover letter reviews; they also arranged mock interviews, open source code sprints, and career fairs. Approximately one week after the end of Epicodus, I received an offer from a company I met at Epicodus' job fair. The staff at Epicodus was available to talk when I needed advice. Furthermore, they checked in with me for a few weeks (even after I started working) to make sure that I was doing alright.

I am very glad that I attended Epicodus, and I would highly recommend it.

• Christian • QA Automation • Graduate

I was lucky enough to already live in Portland when I decided to take an intensive programming course, but Epicodus was an easy choice. Here's a few reasons why:

1.) Coming to programming from teaching, I was really impressed by the learning model compared to most of the competition: 100 percent learn-by-doing. The curriculum is highly relevant, well-explained, and scaffolded to let you learn at a pace that's best for you. Coming in with some programming experience? Go as fast as you want, up your skill set, and add projects to your portfolio. Does HTML, CSS, and TDD mean nothing to you? Don't worry, you will learn a TON and have a blast doing it with others who are right there with you!

2.) A focus on pairing really helps you practice important interpersonal skills that are hugely important for transitioning to work in cutting edge development environments like Agile and Scrum. You'll work with lots of different people and get good at navigating a range of personalities and work styles.

3.) A few instructors provide you with just enough support so you don't get stuck for too long, but not so much that you're not forced to practice the most important skill of all: pushing through programming challenges by practicing good problem solving. Nothing is more satisfying than thinking you need help, working a little longer, and realizing you don't!

-- The cost. I am quite serious when I say I got more knowledge and skill out of this course than my Master's degree, and that cost me about 15 times more. $3500 is a SCREAMING deal for what you will walk out of this course with: relevant foundational web development skills, knowledge of how to teach yourself further, and a network of support to help you land your first job.

Bottom line: if you have an interest in the web, like solving problems, and are ready to work hard, then you should come to Portland.

• moof • Graduate

I am so grateful to have done Epicodus. I wanted to change careers from politics to something that was more intellectually and mathematically challenging. Having known Michael for a long time prior to taking Epicodus, I knew that he was a bright and caring guy. I didn't look into any other code schools, and it turns out that I didn't need to. Initially, I was surprised that so much of our learning was self-directed. I expected there to be more classroom-style, didactic lecturing, but instead we spent our time learning by actually programming. I'm so glad that Epicodus is designed that way because it not only allowed me to learn a lot about web development but it also taught me how to solve problems on my own, work with a partner, and ask questions. Even more than knowledge of specific technologies, the problem-solving skills I learned during class are what I find most useful as a developer now. I was also pleasantly surprised by the diversity of my class in terms of race, age, and gender, given what I'd heard about the tech industry.

• Anonymous • DevOps Engineer • Graduate

Before Epicodus I had been doing research on coding bootcamps for about a year. They caught my attention because the program was longer in it's entirety than most and also cheaper. After having been through the Program and around Michael and his team for the second half of 2014, I can honestly say that this was the best investment that I could have made ever made education wise IN MY LIFE. NO BULLSHIT! Michael is truly driven by a genuine purpose of helping people get a foot in the door in this industry!  Michael has created a program that is challenging and rewarding with a relatively low barrier of entry. He truly wants to expose those who want to learn to the programming world. He has created a great environment to grow and ask questions at a good pace. He also fostered a great culture of making adjustments for improvements as the class moved along. There is a constant flow of feedback between the students, the instructors and Michael, which is awesome. The class wasn't perfect just like anything else in life but I will say this. If you HONESTLY put in GENUINE effort and go in with an open mind you WILL learn more than what you could ever imagined in such a short period of time. Half of the battle is being mentally tough and just having the will to keep hammering it out and asking questions when you don't understand something. Missing a bunch of days just because is not going to cut it. You'd be selling yourself short. And FEAR, it is the number one killer of opportunities. I noticed that many people were so afraid of what might happen 3 months down the line because they had a bad day and couldn't focus. Tell fear, FUCK you and keep pushing!(excuse my language)! Some of those same people are now happily employed!! I told fear to fuck off and I am now also one of those employed individuals lol!

Ultimately, The Epicodus program is lead by a really really smart, and most of all, GENUINE guy. And for any program/organization to be great, it must start from the top down, period. So if you are looking to Jumpstart or change your career, Epicodus will provide an excellent opportunity to do just that!

• Nathan Grey • Graduate

Last year, I enrolled in Epicodus, a Portland-based web development bootcamp. I left my career and moved across the country without really knowing what would happen. It was a big gamble, but it really paid off.

I initially chose Epicodus based on the price and location. I am still happy with these factors, but there are several others that I have come to appreciate as much or more.

First, the curriculum is outstanding. It is accessible to someone like me who is relatively new to programming but challenging enough for more knowledgeable students. Not sure? Check it out yourself. The curriculum is all online at https://www.learnhowtoprogram.com I am really impressed that Michael (the owner) is so transparent. There are no surprises here. You know exactly what you are buying.

The current instructors are both former students who really know their stuff. They are patient, articulate, and knowledgeable. They have high expectations but don't leave anyone behind. Michael works closely with them to ensure that everything is going well and to troubleshoot any issues.

Class is from 8:30 to 5:30 with a one hour lunch break. Each day, we code in pairs on practice problems. Some bootcamps boast about 12 hour days. I am grateful that Michael has a more realistic schedule. By the end of the day, my brain is mush. I usually spend a couple hours looking at material in the evening but it is at my own pace. I have found that rest and time off are really important to my learning process. Issues that are really confusing on Monday often start to make sense by Tuesday or Weds. Sometimes it just takes awhile for things to sink in.

The student body is large. Probably larger than some bootcamps. I thought this might be an issue at first but it really isn't. 60 colleagues means there are 60 people to connect with and 60 people to turn to for help. When you are stuck, you try to figure things out with your pair, and if that doesn't work, you go to a peer. Instructors are a last resort. The idea is that in the real world, there aren't any instructors, so learn how to troubleshoot now.

Community connections are a major emphasis. There is a lot of encouragement to participate in Meetups and other relevant events. Michael hosts a number of these at Epicodus itself and he is working closely with the local community to secure internships and bring in companies for job fairs. Michael seems to have a lot of great connections, which he has used to help place former students.

Last but not least, the setting is fantastic. Epicodus is in downtown Portland in a large open space with stand-up desks and brand new iMacs. I ride my bike across a bridge and along the river to class each day. It is beautiful and there is always lots of interesting things to see.

There was really no downside to my experience. Every now and then, I got confused by a reading, but Michael usually picks up on any issues and helps us through them. Sometimes, I worry that there is too much to learn or that I will forget something I learned a few weeks ago, but I think has more to do with working in a rapidly evolving sector than with the pace at Epicodus.

After completing my coursework, Michael helped place me in an internship at a great startup in downtown Portland. The internship lasted four months and then they brought me on full-time. I'm loving what I do and thinking about what the future may hold.

All in all, Epicodus was a great decision for me. There might be other bootcamps out there that would have worked out as well, but right now, I don't see how I could have done better.

• Angela • Graduate

Epicodus manages to provide a program that hits a perfect sweet spot in providing an environment that is rigorous and challenging as well as supportive and fun.  The four months flew by, but it was also hard to believe how much we'd covered in that time frame.

The program's pedagogy is strong, and the topics covered are carefully considered and extremely practical for folks looking to start a career as a developer.  What really makes Epicodus stand out, though, is the obvious care and investment the staff have in the program and in each class member during and after the class.  Without a doubt, Epicodus provided an exceptional basis from which I was able to launch a career in programming.

• Michal Kaszubowski • Web Developer • Graduate

I have two degrees from two schools. They're worthless. I spent less than 1 trimester's worth of Tuition for Epicodus and made more money in a year than those other degrees have earned me combined. This is only possible thanks to their absolutely amazing job support placement.

Classroom environment is amazing, supportive, instructors are passionate about helping you out (they're former grads, they KNOW what you're going through), and Epicodus sticks with you until you're employed and thereafter. Having a computer that you know works so you spend all of your time coding and not fighting your environment: Priceless.

I can't begin to express how much this decision has impacted my life. It ranks 3rd, only behind immigrating to this country & being born  :-)

You can't find better for the money. You simply can't!!!!!