epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Online, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning JavaScript, Ruby on, Rails, C#, .NET, and React. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry. Epicodus focuses on collaboration and inclusivity. Students work together in pairs and teams almost every day, and a diversity, equity, and inclusion approach is a core part of the program design.

Epicodus's courses also include job search preparation for students. Career advisors meet one-on-one with every student to review resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing, and even go over job applications in class. After completing the coursework, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.72

all (160) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (10) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    Start Date October 12, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    October 12, 2020 - Portland
    October 12, 2020 - Online
    January 4, 2021 - Online
    October 12, 2020 - Seattle
    January 4, 2021 - Seattle
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time Evening)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Start Date October 13, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
    October 13, 2020 - Seattle
    January 5, 2021 - Seattle
    October 13, 2020 - Portland
    January 5, 2021 - Portland
    October 13, 2020 - Online
    January 5, 2021 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Special)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    ScholarshipScholarships available for those affected by Covid-19.
  • JS and React (Part-Time)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date October 13, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Note: Successful completion of Intro to Programming is necessary to enroll for our part-time JavaScript/React course. Our part-time JavaScript/React course is designed for working professionals and others interested in learning how to code on a part-time basis. Over 20 weeks, students will learn JavaScript and React.

During the first eight weeks of the program, you will learn Intermediate JavaScript skills such as how to test your code, working with asynchrony, and making API calls.
 During the final twelve weeks of the program, you will learn how to build applications with React and Redux. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. Redux is a state-management library often used with React to handle changes in an application's data.

After 20 weeks, you will have the skills to explore careers as a front-end developer and to further your own professional development.
    Skills Fund, Climb
    Minimum Skill LevelSuccessful completion of Epicodus' Intro to Programming course
    October 13, 2020 - Online
    October 13, 2020 - Seattle
    October 13, 2020 - Portland
  • Ruby and React

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, REST, SQL
    Start Date January 4, 2021
    LocationPortland, Online
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    January 4, 2021 - Online
    January 4, 2021 - Portland
  • Great opportunity!
    - 12/21/2017
    Nicole • QA Specialist • Graduate

I attended Epicodus after working as a project coordinator for 5 years after college. I had some experience of basic HTML and CSS which intrigued me to want to learn more. I had heard great things about the code school from an alum and former coworker. If you want a quick way into the tech industry Epicodus can help you get there, but you definitely need to dedicate yourself and put in a lot of work on your own if you want to be successful.

Teachers are there more so for moral support and to help you learn better. It is up to you to do the heavy lifting, which is what it will be like in the job world. The initial curriculum can be overwhelming for someone with no experience. I would highly recommend trying to code on your own through free online resources to determine if this is something you are truly interested in pursuing before signing up for Epicodus.

Also, Epicodus focuses on pair programming; this is when you work with another person, sharing the keyboard and mouse daily. You can choose your partner. I would suggest trying to work with everyone in your cohort at least once. This will help you learn different work styles. Sometimes you will have a bad day with a partner and you may choose not to work with them in the future. Take that as a learning experience, but also keep in mind you can’t always choose your coworkers so learn to work better with different people, which probably means learn to communicate better.

Job search help is pretty good but again, you need to do most of the heavy lifting. Top three tips: network at meet ups/hackathons/friends/linkedin, work on side projects (not cookie cutter Epicodus projects, keep an open mind (the most important thing is to get your foot in the door.) Also, find code challenges and do them daily and pick up some resources on basic computer science concepts, Epicodus is only going to scratch the surface.

• Great experience
    - 12/21/2017
    Isabel • Graduate

I took the evening intro to programming class and it was a really, really positive experience for me. I loved the pair-programming model; it helped keep me focused and upbeat without having the stress of working in a big group. The teacher was very friendly and helpful, as were all the other students. I learned a lot and feel better prepared to continue my education on my own. I definitely would have moved on to the full time class if I had the time and money.

• Kate • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate

I had a great time at Epicodus, and I was very lucky in that I had a kickass group of people in my cohort and many of them became good friends of mine. I learned a ton, was definitely challenged by the coursework, and I found a job soon after the program was over (though I was in the minority in my class in that regard--just trying to be honest. And I was nowhere near the most skilled coder in the cohort! Luck, timing, and a good attitude go a long long way).

If you're reading this review, you're probably trying to figure out if this is the right career path for you. One thing that kept putting me off is the snobby elitists who kept saying things like "you'll be a great engineer if, when you were a kid, you loved taking apart radios/toasters/VCRs/insert-random-mechanical-gizmo-here and then putting it back together again! If you didn't show a strange fascination in boring electrical gadgets as a child then surely you can't enjoy coding!"

I am telling you now, I think that's bullshit. I never did that when I was a kid. I hung out with friends, read books and played sports and never ever had the slightest interest in that kind of thing. BUT, I love coding and I love love love love my job as a junior software engineer. Don't let the grumps get you down!

Also, I tried to teach myself coding through codecademy and treehouse prior to starting Epicodus, and I kept getting so frustrated and I thought it would turn out to be a dead-end...but Epicodus was such a different experience. Yes, it was hard. Yes, I learned a ton really really fast. But I also got to talk to people in person, and talk with my pair programming partner every day, and ask questions of other real live humans! It was great. Epicodus was a fantastic experience and literally changed my life.

Epicodus's strength is in their classes, their methods, and how much you learn. Their weakness is in getting you a job. The market seems to be becoming a bit more saturated with bootcamps so finding a job is tough and you have to just kind of luck out, honestly. I had a wonderful experience but doing a bootcamp (any bootcamp) and expecting a job at the end of it is a huge gamble.

Good luck to all of you!! I hope it all goes well!

• Caitlin • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

After spending years in customer service, I finally decided to take the leap and attend a coding bootcamp. I was pretty skeptical that 6 months could lead to a new career. It seemed like all of my other choices were to go back to school for another 2-4 years and tens of thousands of dollars. I did a lot of research before choosing Epicodus and I'm so glad I did. I really believe that Epicodus is the best option.

I attended the C#/.NET track at the Seattle campus earlier this year and it was a fantastic experience. It was hands on learning and the instructors were incredibly kind and helpful. It really felt like they wanted all of us to succeed. They also give you tons of help in finding a job after graduation. The internship was by far one of the most valuable aspects of the program. I didn't get a job with the company I interned with, but I was able to get real world experience and recommendations on my resume that helped me get a great junior web developer job at a local startup.

As for advice before you begin the prorgam, I would say it is very valuable to learn the funadmentals of Javascript before you start. I knew nothing and I made it through just fine, but it would have been so helpful. Most of my class had studied Javascript on their, which made me feel left in the dust in my second week. If you feel like this during your program, just know that it gets better. You will get the hang of it and start working on material that no one has seen yet. Some people say that a coding bootcamp is going to take over your whole life but that wasn't the case for me. I was able to go to class all day and still have a life when I got home. It was exhausting and fun and super rewarding.

Thank you Epicodus! This was the best investment I've ever made and I will always be grateful.

• David • Web Developer • Graduate

I'd been trying to teach myself C# and failing, due to a lack of motivation. I heard about Epicodus from a grad, and saw they had a C#/.NET track, and I knew that I would be doing that asap. I withdrew my enrollment from PSU (just 2 days before class started), and paid for Epicodus. I had some background with Web based Programming, and video game development, but what I needed was a positive and open space to dive deep into the .NET stack. Having an instructor that knew the curriculum well, and (more importantly) was willing and able to learn with us when we found difficult problems, really went a long way. She was an excellent mirror for our collective excitement. I graduated this past October, and within 3 weeks was hired.

This worked so well for me because the curriculum was challenging but fair, and I loved doing the work. I happily devoted as much time as I could, because I knew that I would reap the rewards after graduation. I highly reccommend this program for anyone looking to delve into Web Development.

Its not a real review without at least one negative comment. The only one I can think of was that there were a few hiccups with the internship process for my cohort. It is a mercurial process, dealing with businesses and students. My cohort was part of a double group, Design and C#, so there were 40+ people to place.

• PHP/Drupal Course
    - 11/19/2017
    Eliot • Front End Developer • Graduate

Great course!  I had a really good experience with Epicodus in Seattle.  The classroom setting was inspiring, coursework was thorough and engaging and instruction was there when you needed it.  Ultimately, besides the fundamentals of coding, what I learned was the ability to find answers to problems, troubleshoot, be tenacious and rely on my problem solving skills to figure out lessons.  I would definitely recommend if you have the drive and motivation to challenge yourself here.

• Starlynne Start • Web Developer • Graduate

This was one of the best things I have ever done.

I chose Epicodus after researching a few different fast-paced coding programs- some were shorter (and still cost more), some were longer. I picked Epicodus based on price, location, and the pair programming.

Though I didn't think I would enjoy pair programming, I thought it would be valuable to learn how to collaborate, not just have a role on a team, but actually build something together. It ended up being far more enjoyable than I had thought! It was fantastic to learn from, lean on, teach, and support eachother through our courses. I rarely had any issues with others, and in fact made some very good friends.

The staff is great. The teachers do not hold your hand- they are there to help you learn, not provide you answers. That said, there were times I found such devious ways to baffle myself and them that Loren (my instructor) and I would spend hours learning new things to tackle the issues. They are friendly, capable, and more than willing to help you through the tough spots. The internship/employment staff is also very supportive! When I had opportunities to interview before we had done the in-class prep, they took extra time to help me practice before hand.

The only thing I see wrong in the curriculum was that I wish there was more of it! It IS a short program though, and they can only put so much into everyday. There are many further exploration links and suggestions provided in addition to the daily lessons.

If you are attending Epicodus, a few suggestions:

• Follow up on as many of the extras as possible. Do the optional second assignments on your own time if you don't have time in class.
    • Do not make assumptions about your pair until you have worked with them- preferably more than once! Everyone struggles with different parts of the program, and they may lag in one area only to be the expert you need in another.
    • If you are struggling- I certainly did- remember that the things that looked hard a week ago seem easy a week later. Keep at it and chances are whatever seems impossible today will seem easy in another week.
    • Keep your github clean and your readmes up to date - it will save you a lot of time later!
    • Learn all you can about tech interview/algorithm/BigO notation and PRACTICE solving coding challenges/whiteboarding as much as possible. These are essential for the interview process and are not covered except very briefly in the coursework. Codewars.com is a great place to practice.
    • Network! Go to events, make yourself talk to strangers. It is how you get most opportunities in this field.
    • Don't wait until graduation to start looking/applying to jobs- and don't let a 'failed' interview bother you. (I failed a few!)  Many jobs take a while to get back to you, you want a head start, and the interviews are TOUGH- but they are a skill like any other and practice is the only way to get better.
    • You can get hired! There were a few of us that had jobs even before our internships ended- some through regular application/interview, some through introductions (networking!!!).

I loved this school, and would do it again in a second. If I could get paid to attend, I would never have left! Highly, highly recommended.

• Neil • Software developer • Graduate

Graduated and was lucky that my internship turned into a job. All the staff were super friendly and supportive at Epicodus. Great place to meet likemined people and grow your network. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting a career in tech. The course is challenging; be prepared to work hard especially if you are not familiar with Internet technology.

• Sam P • UI Engineer • Student

I would not be where I am now if it was not for Epicodus. Prior to Epicodus, I worked as a support developer as a startup and I always felt lost and suffered from imposter syndrome. Epicodus helped me to develop the right mindset to to become a problem solver, and not just a developer who remembers things. I learned to recognize patterns across many technologies which allowed me to familiarize myself with the unfamiliar with confidence and speed. That alone is huge in the world of software development. On top of that Epicodus covers a huge bredth of knowledge. My only complaint would be some of the later Javascript curriculum which covered Ember.js which you just don't encounter that much. I know that Epicodus plans alleviate these minor problems in the future though as they are pushing more Angular and React which are much more prominent in the industry. I now work as a UI Engineer at a large company and though I do not know everything going into this job, I know I can pick it up much more quickly and confidently due to Epicodus. I give Epicodus my full recommendation.

• Reed Lambiér • Java Technical Support Engineer • Graduate

Epicodus changed my life.

I started my professional life out as a Firefighter EMT in Bellingham WA. I couldn't finish college due to a health problem that required a lot of time and a lot of money to fix. So public Service was the best option for me since I couldn't afford to finish my degree without accruing immense amount of debt....or so I thought.

After being injured and not able to fulfill the duties of my current job I latched onto writing code one day and never stopped. Eventually I started researching code schools and I discovered Epicodus. I had a phone interview with Debbie and she a warmly accepted me into the Java/Android March 2016 cohort and I headed to Portland.

My experience at Epicodus was great. The teachers are hard working and busy but most of them are always there to help when needed. However, please make no mistake about how much of a challenge this school is. You will be learning code 50 - 70 hours a week for about 27 weeks. A strong third, if not close to half of my cohort(many of whom became close friends) had to leave the school for various reasons throughout the program. This is nothing short of a "bootcamp" and you should treat it as one. Coming in with the right attitude is everything. Probably one of the biggest pieces of advice I can offer is once you finish the courses you must treat the job hunt just like any other course. Everyday send out as many quality applications and cover letters as you can. If you are like me and don't have any credible certs, degrees or past work experience in the software industry, your hurdle is a little bit higher than everyone else and being persistent is everything.

The good news is that if you are tough, don't make excuses and work hard every single day you can make it through. After about 2.5 months of job hunting and interviewing I landed a position at New Relic working as a Java Support Engineer and I couldn't be happier.

Bottomline, I wouldn't be in the position I am today if it wasn't for this school. You too can find success through Epicodus as long as you work hard and stay focussed.

• Ned Faulhaber • SEO Specialist • Graduate

Epicodus is a mixed bag.  It delivers on its promise to get you from no coding experience to being a coder.  That said, your job prospects and general educational experience really depend a lot on your general aptitude for coding, your experience going in, and the route that you choose to go (front vs back end).  Here is some advice that I hope will be helpful to you...

The coding mindset

Make no mistake - you WILL be a coder at the end of this program.  Your knowledge will be limited in many ways, but you will indeed have the "coding mindset" that Epicodus focuses on - namely that you will have the aptitude to have an easier time learning new languages and understanding web dev concepts.

Instruction

One would expect to be instructed when one pays to go to a school, right?  This is missing at Epicodus.  Instructors are largely unavailable - day to day, they are not a presence unless you are having an issue, and you must put a "ticket" in to see them in that case.  You get a weekly code review, but it is short, and doesn't make up for the lack of instruction the other 39.5 hours each week.  Also, most instructors have no education training at all, and there is a difference between knowing how to do something and knowing how to teach it.

Pair Programming

So who DO you learn from?  Pretty much up to you and your daily "pair" student partner, utilizing the online lessons that you follow each day.  Pair programming is a cool idea in essence, but has some serious problems.  If you can find a partner who is similar in level, approach, speed, learning style, and personality, it can be very useful, as you can really help each other through challenges and problems.  The down side is that with the lack of instruction, you are basically learning from your partners, and they are just students like you, and almost nobody has any education background.  It would seem that finding a coder better than you would be really helpful in learning, but in reality, those students are the worst teachers.  They are either such naturals at it that they can't get on your level when they try to explain, or they are snooty and condescending, and basically annoyed with anyone not on their level.

The quality depends upon the class.  The modules for CSS and Design classes were easy to follow, with a good pace, and really great videos and articles.  The intro curriculum was awful - the section on JavaScript goes from zero to 100 and can leave a beginner's head reeling.  It's like being a beginning swimmer, dipping a toe in the water, and the suddenly you're trying to swim in the middle of the Pacific.

Internship

I found this to be the best part about Epicodus.  Getting some professional experience at the end of school was great - I learned a lot about client/coder relations, which greatly affects how you approach a project and what pressure there is (or isn't).  Getting the idea of a workflow and how a pro team works was extremely beneficial.

Be careful which path you choose

In speaking with professionals, other Epicodus grads, and in my own experience, I've discovered that if you want a good paying job fairly quickly after graduating, it's a whole lot better to go the back end route.  The front end market is super-saturated in Portland, and the farther you align with the design side of things, the harder it is to find entry-level jobs.  Nearly all UI/UX design jobs were asking for 5+ years of professional experience, for instance.  I'd suggest that if you go the front end track and wanna maximize your chance for a nice-paying gig, concentrate on JavaScript.  I really wish that I had known about this before starting at Epicodus.

In the end

I wouldn't have the job (SEO Specialist) that I currently have without Epicodus.  A year ago, I would have had no chance whatsoever to get any tech job, and now, that is an option for me, which improves my future career options.  I enjoy Sass, and love Sketch, and have fun with my hobby projects.  I've been very disappointed by the lack of decent paying jobs for my design-oriented interests, and I felt that I could have learned a lot more if I had some better instruction.  But, despite the many issues that I believe Epicodus has, I still have come out with a new job skill, and a new job.  I feel that I paid too much for it, but I did get a fast education in how to do web development and design.

• Alex • Graduate

While the curriculum I saw (May-Dec 2016) seems a little dated, there's no real problem with this. The real value of Epicodus is learning to communicate well with other creative thinkers and to solve problems in teams. It is an amazing school for building this skill.

My path through Epicodus started with the Ruby track and then I switched to the Design track. I feel unusually qualified to compare these two series of courses.

1. They both teach fundamentals of Github, HTML5, jQuery, Gulp, Angular2, Ember
    2. Ruby track uses Capybara, not Cucumber, and introduces Sinatra before Rails (which I personally find maddening but your results will vary-- no one I've met beyond dev junkies knows what Sinatra is)
    3. Design track offers a different curriculum that barely focuses on algorithms, data types, etc and instead teaches InVision to create functional prototypes without code; also teaches Sketch (which is a cleaner, easier-to-learn Adobe Photoshop)

Because of this emphasis on prototyping and improving the user experience, I graduated with a better grasp of the frontend than full stack world. If you want this result, you can definitely learn tons of Sass and Bootstrap and Sketch on your own... the Epicodus curriculum is 100% free online, so purchsae Sketch and subscribe to InVision and you're ready to blast off. The school may still provide a 50% discounts on Sketch, however, so contact Debbie at Epicodus to confirm this and any of what I'm writing here.

The pair programming ethic felt amazing while in the Ruby track, because learning challenging new concepts with a colleague is helpful. Yet once I changed over and was asked to co-Design the frontend projects, it didn't seem as effective, and often felt needlessly frustrating. Again, your results will vary.

Life-changing experience, if you're ready to work for it. The skills I'm starting to build are deeply satisfying and I am very grateful to this program. Also, this seems the best value for an onsite code camp right now. Try their lessons remotely for free, then work through a few with a friend in person, and if you are even slightly engaged then don't hesitate to apply!

Because if you do apply and gradute you won't regret it. I'm in the midst of my first junior dev job hunt, and Epicodus staff check in weekly to provide tips and have already helped me network quite a bit. Everything here is 5-star except the choice of Ember instead of React, but feel free to brag about how you learned a more difficult framework in bootcamp just so that you could teach yourself React faster. ^_~

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 43 graduates included in report:

87% of job obtainers reported salaries. 5% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Job Outcomes Report here