epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning JavaScript, Ruby on, Rails, C#, .NET, and React. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry. Epicodus focuses on collaboration and inclusivity. Students work together in pairs and teams almost every day, and a diversity, equity, and inclusion approach is a core part of the program design.

Epicodus's courses also include job search preparation for students. Career advisors meet one-on-one with every student to review resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing, and even go over job applications in class. After completing the coursework, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (168) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (11) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

C#, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL, React.js
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    January 03, 2022 - Seattle
    March 14, 2022 - Seattle
  • C# and React (Part-Time)

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, React.js, C#, MySQL, GitHub, .NET, SQL
    Start Date March 14, 2022
    LocationPortland, Seattle, Online
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
    March 14, 2022 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time)

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, GitHub
    LocationOnline, Seattle, Portland
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
  • Ruby and React

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Rails, React.js, REST, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL
    Start Date March 14, 2022
    LocationPortland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    March 14, 2022 - Portland
  • Ruby and React (Part-Time)

SQL, Ruby, React.js, Rails, Node.js, HTML, GitHub, Git, CSS
    LocationOnline, Portland
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
  • Good Quality
    - 1/11/2022
    Tiffany • Graduate
    Epicodus is much more affordable than other bootcamps I was looking at. I like that it offers C# and I think the pacing of the material was almost perfect. I really appreciated having internships at the end of the program and that the culture is inclusive. I would've liked to have covered more material in the C# portion of the program, I feel as though it was a little slow paced and repetitive, whereas the React portion felt crammed with too much new material on top of Career Services assignments and capstones. Overall though, I feel liked I learned a lot through their curriculum and that Career Services helped better prepare me for job interviews and applications. I would absolute recommend this bootcamp to friends, especially those who have some experience with programming as it will probably benefit them in the long run.
  • Mekinsie • Ruby on Rails Software Developer • Graduate
    Epicodus taught me the most updated and relevant information on each language and framework. I still find myself going back for information from the curriculum now because there is a lot of really useful information in there! This bootcamp provided me with the structure I needed to sit down and spend time everyday to learn how to code. Pair programming was useful because that it allowed me to work with many different types of people and to learn and grow together. The content is challenging so be sure you are ready to commit. You get out what you put in! Ultimately I highly recommend this bootcamp to anyone who is considering one. It's very thorough and the instructors are awesome!
  • Jon • Student
    The quality of Epicodus does not meet their current asking price for tuition, nor their updated one. Career services are severely lacking for example. In one instance of our cohort the career services, people were asked about networking and they told us they didn't have any good feedback since they didn't really enjoy it themselves. It was super cringe when it happened. We've also been told by students they've asked to come back and speak that they received no help from them during the job hunt. Basically don't come here expecting career services.

After that, the material feels really beta testy. Spelling and grammar mistakes feel pretty regular. They do fix them fairly quickly when they are reported though so there's that.

We've also had instances of poorly worded projects. In one instance a project told us to write a test with an example that would pass the test with the way that they worded it. Again, not very helpful and confusing. Also, one of the other rubric items was interpreted in different ways because it was described with what I call "weasel words". Phrases are ill-defined when you're working with data. What do they consider a phrase? How many? It was unclear.

We also couldn't get a response from any instructors that day because they were all offline. Which leads to one of my other issues about Instructors being hit or miss.

For example, rather than giving us coding examples in the morning, they were giving us Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion examples. They had difficulty answering questions on DEI on a couple of occasions. We were also denied our pleas to proctor examples early on. I'm actually at the point where I wish I had dropped when I could get a refund, but I'm now stuck with the course or taking on a loan for a course that I don't actually feel fulfill's its advertising of what they offer.

This was also odd compared to what students said in other cohorts where they did get proper walkthroughs. So it really sounds like you get a different experience depending on if you get Cathy or Shawn, who sound wonderful.

There was also recently a presentation from some prior students where one didn't get a proper internship either. They basically were an employee so it would seem that Epicodus might not be properly vetting their internship either.

So let's review: Material can be problematic and unclear, Instructors can be hit or miss, projects can be poorly written, you're held to an attendance standard the instructors themselves don't hold themselves to, career services doesn't have the experience it needs to operate properly, and the internship could land you in a positon where you're really just unpaid labor for someone because they didn't properly vet it.
  • Jessica • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I decided to transition to software development at the beginning of 2020 and Epicodus was a critical component of this career change. Enrollment at a coding bootcamp fully immersed me in the field and it was my privilege to learn alongside inspiring, dedicated individuals who share a passion for personal growth. Collaboration is the center of the Epicodus pair-programming format and my cohort became a tight-knit group as we spent months debugging, designing, and testing together.

They handled the transition to remote learning tremendously. The instructors and career services team do a wonderful job of guiding you through the work while also encouraging independent learning. I built projects I'm proud of and came away with so much knowledge.

The internship component was a key reason why I chose Epicodus over several other bootcamps, and having a line of practical experience really helped out my resume. Job hunting was still a rough few months afterwards, but I had the tools, support, and time I needed to succeed. After all that work… I’m officially a software engineer! And I hope you’re able to take the same chance for yourself 💕
  • Salim • Student
    I found the part time program very rewarding. Due to onset of Covid our class went from on-site to online midway stage (I preferred the on-site version) but in terms of material and what not the whole experience was very rewarding. Plus the course fee is very affordable compared to what others charge (I don’t think the people who run this program are money minded - they seem to run it like it’s a non profit). I haven’t landed a job yet but the whole course was a transformational experience for me
  • Very educational
    - 10/5/2020
    Constantine • Student
     Sometimes I have found the material very difficult to understand. At first, I thought maybe it’s because English is my second language but after talking to my classmates it seems like I was not the only one. The explanation of certain topics and the tasks were very hard to interpret. Although I chose to believe that it was made purposely and it’s a part of the process. The ultimate task is to learn how to learn, so I'll trust the process, join the full time and do my best to graduate it by googling, watching YouTube tutorials, reading other material, and hiring a tutor if needed.
  • Lauralee Green • Applicant
    I had some issues concerning the presentation of information from a complete beginner's standpoint. I used the feedback button and made my opinions known, so I won't repeat my ideas. I really liked the structure of the classes and the ample resources available to us. The instructors were very accessible in the discord channel and it was fun to work with people online. I had problems sharing my screen in the beginning and Cathy told me about hooking directly into the ethernet cable instead of using wifi. That did the trick. It was also very hard to see other people's screens because the print was so tiny. I invested in a 32" smart tv and that solved that problem. By the time I got everything together and was comfortable with everything, the class was over.
    I had a problem pairing with someone who kept their mic off in order to read the lesson. I had already read the lesson and didn't know what to do with myself. I should have contacted the teacher, instead I left the room with that person without an explanation and joined another group. I apologized to this person, privately after some thinking. That was my own personal problem and had nothing to do with Epicodus. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time, that I am amazed. I learned about the basics of coding, hooking up hardware, communicating online without visual cues from other classmates, as well as new apps that I have never heard of. When I think about the scope of what was accomplished in the Intro class, I give high marks to Epicodus. Thank you for offering this class for $100. I have a much clearer idea of what is involved for the full time classes. I hope I can finish my code reviews and move on to React. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity. Lauralee Green "
    - 11/11/2019
    Colman • Student

Still fairly new here at Epicodus, but my experience so dar has been awesome. I was reccomended by several friends to go to this bootcamp and a few weeks in I understand why so many friends had a great experience. The coursework is very challenging, encourages working in groups, collaberative coding and hands-on-the-keyboard instructions. I cannot say enough good things about my experience. I think you can find a cheaper option out there, but based on how many friends have gotten jobs so quickly after the bootcamp I am glad I made the choice I did!

• Avery Grey • Student
    I attended only the intro course, so I don't know about the majority of their material. I do know that what I experienced was somewhere between marginally adequate and a total mess. The content was meandering and confusing. Michael, the director, made the majority of the video courses, where he spent most his time trailing off on tangents, getting tripped up on words, throwing out advances concepts, and writing sloppy code. When I say sloppy code, I mean sloppy. Most of it was all mashed together without any comments or extra spacing. Paragraphs on top of columns on top of classes on top of divs without any forethought into comprehension of code. I spent most of my time just trying to figure out what his code even meant, let alone write my own. On top of that, Michael's videos often contained printed revisions where he made mistakes during his lectures. It was a mess. The content needs major updating. It's quite obvious they are still using the curriculum from when they opened. They're still teaching bootstraps and JQuery, two refrences that are seldom used in today's programming field. The tech world is always changing, and schools NEED to keep up. They spent most of their time teaching how to cheat on a website by using these two methods instead if actually building a website with clean tags and an understanding of CSS beyond cookie cutter styles from a 10 year old playbook. It was at this point that the free trial ended and they wanted me to cough up 12k for a full education. Now I will say I do have a great understanding of css and html now, but it was mostly because i didn't follow their curriculum and instead bought a great book on the subject, and instead just used class time to teach myself something useful. I want to note that their instructors are all recent graduates that, if I had to guess, were only hired because actual programmers don't want to work there (and it beefs up their placement numbers). I will say I really liked my teacher. He was able to answer most my questions (the content was on entry level things) but I could tell he was frustrated at how the content was arranged. Just don't go here. Don't. The influx of code school grads without knowledge of programming is causing companies to blacklist these schools' graduates. Instead do what I did. There is no "fast and easy" way to b a programmer. This is one step ahead of a con. Careers take work and time and effort, programming isn't a get rich quick scheme. Get an associates at PCC in Computer Information Systems. It's a two year course, it's cheaper than any bootcamp, and you will actually learn how to program and most likely get a job. I love my courses at PCC. I learn more each lesson than I did in the 3 months at epicodus. Hope this helps!
  • Epicodus
    - 3/21/2019
    Michael • Developer • Graduate

Epicodus was a warm and unforgettable experience.  The classes were structured in an efficient format and were fast and challenging, and accomodating to students with no prior experience or a lot of experience.  Our teacher Tyler was incredibly knowledgable and helpful.  My classmates were ambitious and driven, and I’ve developed lasting relationships with them that will continue to be fruitful in the industry.  The staff at Epicodus is motivated to help you succeed and will be there with you up until you find a job you that suits your needs.

The internship oppurtunity alone is worth the price of admission.  I was placed with a professional and respectful company that ended up hiring me out of the internship.

I would recommend Epicodus to anyone who wants a career change, and I have recommended it to close friends and family.

• Best decision!
    - 2/24/2019
    Gosia • Graduate

Joining Epicodus was the best decision I made while switching my career. At a time I joined them I was 35+ with almost no previous experience in programming. It was hard in the beginning but it was worth it. I met wonderful people there, great teachers and best class mates. I really appreciate all of the friends I made there. We all created together this supportive community with one goal: to be professional programmers one day. And thanks to them, after less than one year from starting this journey, I got my first real job in the industry. I think me working for Microsoft now is the best recommendation for that school.

• C# and React
    - 2/2/2019
    Victor Felix • Front-End Engineer • Graduate

Epicodus is the best investment I've  done for my career. I did not have any coding experience before going to Epicodus. It was frustrating at first, but once you start to understand the concepts, it will get easier. Just a few tips I wish someone gave me before I started class. Read up on the basics of coding. Even though they will start from the very basic, its nice to have a head start. Do not be afraid to ask questions. If you do not understand any of the materials, your mentor is there to help. I had John Franti as my mentor and he is an amazing teacher. Very patient and very knowledgeable. Last and not least, do not give up. There will be challenges and frustration throughout the course, but it will be well worth it if you put enough effort.

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 34 graduates included in report:

50% of job obtainers reported salaries. 6% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Outcomes Report here