epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Online, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning JavaScript, Ruby on, Rails, C#, .NET, and React. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry. Epicodus focuses on collaboration and inclusivity. Students work together in pairs and teams almost every day, and a diversity, equity, and inclusion approach is a core part of the program design.

Epicodus's courses also include job search preparation for students. Career advisors meet one-on-one with every student to review resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing, and even go over job applications in class. After completing the coursework, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.72

all (160) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (10) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    Start Date October 12, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    October 12, 2020 - Portland
    October 12, 2020 - Online
    January 4, 2021 - Online
    October 12, 2020 - Seattle
    January 4, 2021 - Seattle
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time Evening)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Start Date October 13, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
    October 13, 2020 - Seattle
    January 5, 2021 - Seattle
    October 13, 2020 - Portland
    January 5, 2021 - Portland
    October 13, 2020 - Online
    January 5, 2021 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Special)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    ScholarshipScholarships available for those affected by Covid-19.
  • JS and React (Part-Time)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date October 13, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Note: Successful completion of Intro to Programming is necessary to enroll for our part-time JavaScript/React course. Our part-time JavaScript/React course is designed for working professionals and others interested in learning how to code on a part-time basis. Over 20 weeks, students will learn JavaScript and React.

During the first eight weeks of the program, you will learn Intermediate JavaScript skills such as how to test your code, working with asynchrony, and making API calls.
 During the final twelve weeks of the program, you will learn how to build applications with React and Redux. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. Redux is a state-management library often used with React to handle changes in an application's data.

After 20 weeks, you will have the skills to explore careers as a front-end developer and to further your own professional development.
    Skills Fund, Climb
    Minimum Skill LevelSuccessful completion of Epicodus' Intro to Programming course
    October 13, 2020 - Online
    October 13, 2020 - Seattle
    October 13, 2020 - Portland
  • Ruby and React

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, REST, SQL
    Start Date January 4, 2021
    LocationPortland, Online
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    January 4, 2021 - Online
    January 4, 2021 - Portland
  • Avery Grey • Student
    I attended only the intro course, so I don't know about the majority of their material. I do know that what I experienced was somewhere between marginally adequate and a total mess. The content was meandering and confusing. Michael, the director, made the majority of the video courses, where he spent most his time trailing off on tangents, getting tripped up on words, throwing out advances concepts, and writing sloppy code. When I say sloppy code, I mean sloppy. Most of it was all mashed together without any comments or extra spacing. Paragraphs on top of columns on top of classes on top of divs without any forethought into comprehension of code. I spent most of my time just trying to figure out what his code even meant, let alone write my own. On top of that, Michael's videos often contained printed revisions where he made mistakes during his lectures. It was a mess. The content needs major updating. It's quite obvious they are still using the curriculum from when they opened. They're still teaching bootstraps and JQuery, two refrences that are seldom used in today's programming field. The tech world is always changing, and schools NEED to keep up. They spent most of their time teaching how to cheat on a website by using these two methods instead if actually building a website with clean tags and an understanding of CSS beyond cookie cutter styles from a 10 year old playbook. It was at this point that the free trial ended and they wanted me to cough up 12k for a full education. Now I will say I do have a great understanding of css and html now, but it was mostly because i didn't follow their curriculum and instead bought a great book on the subject, and instead just used class time to teach myself something useful. I want to note that their instructors are all recent graduates that, if I had to guess, were only hired because actual programmers don't want to work there (and it beefs up their placement numbers). I will say I really liked my teacher. He was able to answer most my questions (the content was on entry level things) but I could tell he was frustrated at how the content was arranged. Just don't go here. Don't. The influx of code school grads without knowledge of programming is causing companies to blacklist these schools' graduates. Instead do what I did. There is no "fast and easy" way to b a programmer. This is one step ahead of a con. Careers take work and time and effort, programming isn't a get rich quick scheme. Get an associates at PCC in Computer Information Systems. It's a two year course, it's cheaper than any bootcamp, and you will actually learn how to program and most likely get a job. I love my courses at PCC. I learn more each lesson than I did in the 3 months at epicodus. Hope this helps!
  • Epicodus
    - 3/21/2019
    Michael • Developer • Graduate

Epicodus was a warm and unforgettable experience.  The classes were structured in an efficient format and were fast and challenging, and accomodating to students with no prior experience or a lot of experience.  Our teacher Tyler was incredibly knowledgable and helpful.  My classmates were ambitious and driven, and I’ve developed lasting relationships with them that will continue to be fruitful in the industry.  The staff at Epicodus is motivated to help you succeed and will be there with you up until you find a job you that suits your needs.

The internship oppurtunity alone is worth the price of admission.  I was placed with a professional and respectful company that ended up hiring me out of the internship.

I would recommend Epicodus to anyone who wants a career change, and I have recommended it to close friends and family.

• Best decision!
    - 2/25/2019
    Gosia • Graduate

Joining Epicodus was the best decision I made while switching my career. At a time I joined them I was 35+ with almost no previous experience in programming. It was hard in the beginning but it was worth it. I met wonderful people there, great teachers and best class mates. I really appreciate all of the friends I made there. We all created together this supportive community with one goal: to be professional programmers one day. And thanks to them, after less than one year from starting this journey, I got my first real job in the industry. I think me working for Microsoft now is the best recommendation for that school.

• C# and React
    - 2/3/2019
    Victor Felix • Front-End Engineer • Graduate

Epicodus is the best investment I've  done for my career. I did not have any coding experience before going to Epicodus. It was frustrating at first, but once you start to understand the concepts, it will get easier. Just a few tips I wish someone gave me before I started class. Read up on the basics of coding. Even though they will start from the very basic, its nice to have a head start. Do not be afraid to ask questions. If you do not understand any of the materials, your mentor is there to help. I had John Franti as my mentor and he is an amazing teacher. Very patient and very knowledgeable. Last and not least, do not give up. There will be challenges and frustration throughout the course, but it will be well worth it if you put enough effort.

• Alex Dominguez • Bilingual Teacher Assistant • Student

I went to Epicodus for their Introduction to Programming with Kyle Lange this past fall and it was one of the best learning experiences learning how to code. Epicodus is designed even for people like me and anyone who don’t have a tech background but the desire to learn to have the tools necessary to succeed. From how to learn command line, HTML, CSS and Onkected JavaScript with a final project that challenges you to use all the skills learned and use them in your last project, it’s a good beginning for people who don’t have a technical background and can succeed in their full class route wether is React, C# and others. The classes are well paced even for the advanced and for the begginer coders. What highly recommend the most about Epicodus is the class flexibility of the schedule, the professors (like Mr. Lange )who are dedicated  and skilled to help you in the most difficult coding bugs in any project and working in teams is the best approach as it mirror s the true environment in a high paced web developer company. These traits and opportunities to also intern at the end of your developer language route is what makes Epicodus great. Please consider Epicodus a choice if you’re in the Portland or Seattle area and want to change your life.

• Anna K • Software developer • Graduate

I looked for programming courses and researched few bootcamp schools before I came to Epicodus. The price is more than reasonable for what 27-week program gives you. I almost didn’t have any previous experience except free online course for HTML and JavaScript. There were guys in my cohort who knew much more and it helped me a lot. Pair programming was mostly helpful. We were learning different technologies 8 hours a day, so yes, it was tough. I would suggest all the students to start learning algorithms and data structures during the program to be better prepared for internship interviews and job search.

I was lucky to have good guys in my group, and my 5-week internship was very great! So, Epicodus classes gave me good portfolio full of projects, understanding that I can do programming at least 8 hours a day (50-60 hours per week in my case), and a real experience in a real company. I studied algorithms and data structures later by myself for interviewing and finally got a job.

It was right choice for me.

• Good for basics.
    - 9/20/2018
    Adam Titus • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

Epicodus has a very strong curriculum in basic web development and can be a good starting point for people who have already determined that coding is the right career path for them.

In my time there I went from only basic knowledge of code logic, to being able to write in 4 different languages (C#, JavaScript, CSS, HTML). I learned valuable tools for programming, how to research code questions, and the basic workflow for building projects from the ground up. By the end of the first section I was able to make a Tetris game with 3 other classmates. By the end of the second unit I built a working social network and space shooter game with 3 different classmates. By the end of the third section, I had built a well designed and functional e-commerce website with 3 more classmates. And by the end of the fourth, I had built my own maze solving neural network AI for my independent project. I also put in a lot of time and effort into learning however, and not everyone will find it easy to learn as quickly as Epicodus demands.

While Epicodus does provide good basic knowledge, their curriculum isn't as strong at preparing you for an actual programming job in the real world. It's common to have to learn a  new codebase when starting a new position but that isn't an experience Epicodus provides. Also, Epicodus projects rarely go beyond a few static web pages hosted on Github. Exposure to these scenarios can and do teach valuable lessons the first time you encounter them, as they force you to think about problems and questions in new ways. If Epicodus added that to their curriculum it would better prepare future developers for real world experiences.

Some of this is solved, however, by the internships Epicodus provides. These internships vary wildly in quality though because all the companies are different and Epicodus can't really control their actions. While I had a great experience at my internship, I don't think that was a universal occurrence. If you do get a good internship as I did, it can get you amazing connections, recommendations, experience, and mentors for your future career. Epicodus does it's best to match you with a company that would be a good fit, and from my experience I came away for the better from it.

The instructors are competent and are good at teaching the basics of code knowledge. However, they are not always experienced enough in the programming world to fully provide the answers that some students may have.

Epicodus is also helpful in the job search after you complete the course work. They offer resources, and their demo day generated several interviews for me with a variety of companies. But competition in this field is tough, so it still may take many months to find work in the web development field. I was employed as a junior software developer about 4 months after graduating, and I was one of the lucky ones. So use the resources that Epicodus gives you, but know that you have to do a lot of your own work to be successful in the job hunt.

In conclusion, I think Epicodus is a great start for prospective developers, and is a great place to learn and get your foot in the door. Just be aware that finding a job in this field is much tougher than just knowing the basics, and that it's only the starting point.

• Leah • Student

Epicodus was exactly what I needed to determine whether I wanted to continuing expanding my web programming knowledge into a career. I chose the Part-time course as a wayfinder, which was affordable and fit with my full time work schedule. The instructor was attentive, helpful, and knowledgeable about industry trends. The pace was challenging but not overwhelming. The classroom space was great with state of the art computers and equipment. The in-person class setting was particularly valuable to me as I really enjoyed partnering with different classmates and learning from each other. Overall it was a good experience for me and a way to push myself to explore new career options. Thank you Epicodus!

• What a wild ride!
    - 8/15/2018
    Cheryl • Jr. Support Developer • Graduate

If you're looking for a cheaper, quicker way to get into development or other tech career path, this program is for you. It's intense and a lot of work even outside of the 40-hour weeks in class. Your brain will hurt. You will be tired. You may be one of the students who sleeps on the couches. But it is all worth it!

I mainly chose Epicodus over other programs because it offered a React track and included an internship experience. For me, this was a mid-career change and paying for another traditional degree or graduate program wasn't going to work. And while it's not easy to pair program all day long, my classmates were some of the most supportive and enjoyable parts of this experience. Lunch talks are a great way to network, learn from those actually working in tech and hear about different paths you can take.

Epicodus is a growing family in the Pacific Northwest ... graduates are everywhere! During and after school, I have run into Epicodus students at conferences, at my current employer and on the MAX train.

If this is something you're considering, I would recommend checking out the Saturday open house or scheduling a visit.
  • Jonathan Stein • Web Developer • Graduate

I attended the Seattle Epicodus part time to full time C#, .NET, and JS courses. It was about 6 months total, and I'm overall happy with my experience.

Although the curriculum was a bit rushed at times (our teacher was writing it the night before to keep it up to date, which caused some issues in class), I was still able to get a lot of knowledge out of the programs, specifically the JS/Angular course.

I'm currently working a 6 month contract as a web developer for 23/hr. So much better than my last jobs! I landed the job about 2-3 weeks after my internship ended.

If you are dedicated and able to do the work, engage with the materials on more than surface level, and do extra work outside of class, Epicodus can work for you.

• Nekilof • IT Assistant

I'm going to say that my experience here has been limited, as I only stayed in their PT evening program for 3 weeks, but here's my thoughts:

The bad:
    -Epicodus is only designed for folks whom can afford both in time and money to attend 8-5PM M-F for months & put in extra work on the weekends too. There is a PT Intro class, but there is no other content available on an evening, weekend, or part time schedule. So if you're the "breadwinner" for your home, have children, or any other obligations in your life that prevent you from doing this, then it becomes exceedingly difficult to attend Epicodus.

-You're paired (you work with another student for the duration of the day/night) from the first class onward, and they mention in the orientation materials that sometimes you're "paired up" (meaning the person you're with knows more than you), "paired down", or you're equals. The problem there is that if you're in a "paired up" situation, the person whom knows more than you might not be interested in or good at teaching you...or might simply think they know what they're doing vs. actually knowing what they're doing. You're also placed in a potentially similar position if you're "paired down" as you're now the teacher and that may or may not be your cup of tea. I was never in a pairing that I enjoyed. I felt like the lesson for the day got completely muddled in the dynamic of the person you were to be working with. To give a specific example, one pair partner told me he finished all the classwork for that week at home, so he was going to zip to the next week's lesson. You share a computer, and so then it became a strange power struggle between what he wanted and what I wanted the whole night.

-For me the learning style just didn't work. You're expected to move at a pretty fast speed, and there really isn't room to help someone left behind like I was. Going into IT was a huge shift for me from being a therapist, and I had a lot of questions that were going unanswered...and then I got more and more confused as time went on & felt like there was no time for review, no one there to help and guide me, or the ability to go more in depth with an instructor on a topic I was struggling with to help clear up questions.

The luke warm:
    -I was surprised by the complete lack of instruction by the instructors, whom are more like proctors than anything else. You learn by watching online video content, which is free and accessible online at the time I'm posting this: https://www.learnhowtoprogram.com/ There isn't enough time or instructors to provide you with in-depth time to answer your questions. There's a question queue system, and the questions are answered as quickly as possible and frequently the proctors didn't seem to know much about the content.

-If you're in the PT night Intro class, none of the staff outside the proctors are there, so you miss out on the lunch lectures and other experiences that the FT folks get. I asked if the lunch lectures could be taped, and although I was told this was a good idea, it didn't happen during my time there.

-If you're in the PT night class, you're expected to make the transition to the day time full time schedule after the intro class. So that'll involve a lot of planning for most folks to be able to pull off.

The good:

-The PT night class is a more affordable option if you're unsure whether to commit to the full program during the day or not after Intro is over. At the time I attended it was $400 for the PT night class.

-I feel their customer service w/ admissions was fantastic.

So do I feel like Epicodus gives you much more than say, a $25 a month Team Treehouse account? No I don't. You're basically only paying for a place to learn to program vs. getting hands on experiences that you couldn't get from a learn to code site & info from an instructor with experience under their belt. I felt like writing this would help to balance out the super positive reviews with perhaps a more...realistic outcome? Epicodus wasn't for me.

• Michael • IT Associate • Student

I took the evening intro program because I was enrolled full time in college and I wanted a course that would fit my schedule. I also wanted to learn a lot in that short amount of time. After the course my interest in programming increased and I am planning on taking the full-time course once everything settles down. Thank you to Epicodus for all your programs.

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 43 graduates included in report:

87% of job obtainers reported salaries. 5% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Job Outcomes Report here