epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning JavaScript, Ruby on, Rails, C#, .NET, and React. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry. Epicodus focuses on collaboration and inclusivity. Students work together in pairs and teams almost every day, and a diversity, equity, and inclusion approach is a core part of the program design.

Epicodus's courses also include job search preparation for students. Career advisors meet one-on-one with every student to review resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing, and even go over job applications in class. After completing the coursework, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (173) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (11) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

C#, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL, React.js
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    October 10, 2022 - Seattle
    October 10, 2022 - Portland
  • C# and React (Part-Time)

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, React.js, C#, MySQL, GitHub, .NET, SQL
    LocationPortland, Seattle, Online
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
    August 01, 2022 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time)

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, GitHub
    LocationOnline, Seattle, Portland
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
  • Ruby and React

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Rails, React.js, REST, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL
    LocationPortland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    August 01, 2022 - Portland
  • Ruby and React (Part-Time)

SQL, Ruby, React.js, Rails, Node.js, HTML, GitHub, Git, CSS
    Start Date October 10, 2022
    LocationOnline, Portland
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
  • Ryan Back  User Photo
    Ryan Back • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Background:

Prior to starting at Epicodus in October 2016, I was a full-time student pursuing a degree in Computer Science. The desire to have more hands-on experience, in an accelerated program, motivated me to research the different “bootcamps” available in Portland. Bottom line, I wanted to get to work. Ultimately, I chose Epicodus based on price, my initial experiences with staff (shout out to Debbie for hosting a great informational open house), and the opportunity to have an internship at the end of the process.

Overall:

As many others have said, Epicodus changed my life. Today, I am working as a full-time Web Developer for a company that I absolutely love. Epicodus provided me with the tools and opportunity to jumpstart my career in web development. That being said, you have to be willing to put in the time and effort. Merely showing up for 40 hours a week and completing the bare minimum will not turn you into a developer.

In doing my research ahead of time, I entered Epicodus with the knowledge that this would not be a hands-on program, in terms of having day-to-day instruction. I enjoyed the lack of lectures and the minimal help from teachers (though they were always there if needed). This independent learning structure helped me learn how to problem solve on my own (something that has come in very handy in my new role). The world of web development is ever-changing, so I thought that Epicodus did a good job at keeping the curriculum as up-to-date as can be.

From the curriculum that I did receive, I feel as though I understand the languages and syntax that are used today. As I mentioned above, Epicodus will be what you make of it.

Pair Programming:

Pair programming was a great tool for learning. Depending on the skill level of your daily partner, you either have the opportunity to learn from someone with more experience, or to teach someone who may be struggling with the concept at hand, which helps to solidify your own understanding. In the intro class they emphasize working with someone new each day. But, as the program progresses they understand that you may find yourself working with several of the same partners over time. If you find that you don’t work well with another student, there’s no pressure to work with them again.

Internship:

Epicodus set up four internship interviews for me, with two being at the top of my “wish list”, one in the middle, and one pretty much at the bottom. The process was a little nerve-wracking, as there isn’t a guarantee that you will be matched with your top choice (even if they also list you as their top choice). They do this to make it a fair process, but it can still induce some anxiety. Luckily, I was matched with my top pick, as were many of my friends.

My internship was a fantastic experience. I was given client work right off the bat and had daily interaction with the rest of the development team. As Epicodus has mentioned, your language of choice may not be the language you end up utilizing in your internship. This was the case for me, but I found that picking up a new language was not as daunting as I thought it would be.

I can’t comment on the job assistance that Epicodus provides, as I accepted a position with my internship company. From my brief interactions with the outreach team, they are all very responsive and eager to be of assistance.

---------------

If you have any questions about my experience at Epicodus, feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn.

• Jeremy  User Photo
    Jeremy • Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was drawn to Epicodus by their low tuition, which I think is outstanding amongst its peers. You never get the feeling that you're being ripped off in any way, which was something I was generally apprehensive about when searching. The school is genuine and transparent, which as much as anything made my experience there cherished. Staff there was always engaged and helpful - albeit w/ an air of having a lot on their plates!

And that's something you have to understand about Epicouds - it's not an experience that's going to be able to hold your hand the whole way through. You're really working with your fellow students to wade through the world of resources available to you, guided of course by the Epicodus curriculum.

You pair with another student everyday and work through assignments together - so take note that this 'pair programming' is at the core of the experience. There are pros and cons, but personally I'm very appreciative of this system. You really get to know your fellow students and your all a big jolly group of friends by the end of the course, was great for me as I had just moved to town.

Personally I think Epicodus could offer a little more solo time for those like myself who felt like they really needed days to just spread their wings -- you do work on a solo project every Friday, but I did sometimes feel stagnant due to partners at a lower level or a slow curriculum day and it would have been cool to have spent that time wayfaring the didactic playground of the internet. That being said though, I really do dig the system - you develop A LOT of soft skills from working w/ a variety of different partners and it's great for exposure to a diversity of insights & perspectives. If I would offer one other criticism, it's that the teachers can sometimes be a little more rigid than they need to be, focusing more on curriculum grading criteria than what I think is the bigger question: whether we know what we're doing and are learning. But that's definitely no biggie, and I can also be a bit delightfully mischievous :P

I was hesitant about doing a bootcamp because I'm a big self-starter, so learning to code felt like something I could have done on my own. But the experience of going to that space everyday and coding as part of our community of students really was truly invaluable, I learned a ton while there and can't imagine getting started without something like that. So as an educational experience: A+ (especially because of the program's duration).

Epicodus leads you into an internship as the final part of the expierience, great for me as I'm now working where I interned. The school matchmakes students w/ companies it has relationships w/, which can be kind of hit or miss. But it is a big step forward in terms of experience and finding an internship yourself (or a job of course) is just so harrowing that I'm grateful that process was kind of streamlined for me. I wish I could comment more on job prospects/assistance after Epicdous, but I really can only say that most of my comrades were not hired on by their internships and in the few months since we finished I'd say many of us have found employment and many haven't. I only have a limited experience of the Portland job market, but I really think this is an industry in which you can take advantage of unemployed time to improve yourself as a coder and a candidate. It's hard to stay motivated, especially when you could be getting paid for that self-development, but you really can just progress on your own and make employment more and more inevitable.

TL;DR Epicodus is a fantastic environment to learn to code and kick off your career, you'll meet great people and get great educational exposure. The more ambition you have to immerse yourself deeply into the dark arts of code, the more you'll guarantee your success.

• Ewa  User Photo
    Ewa • Java Application Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Why Epicodus worked for me:

• great price
    • great location and a nice space
    • pair programming + group projects (I wanted experience working with others)
    • the curriculum gave me direction and motivation i lacked when working on my own
    • the cohort (I met and still am in touch with - so many great people)
    • the internship (it was great to get some experience working with a tech company)
    • job finding assistance (I actually found my current position through an Epicodus job posting)

Why Epicodus might not work for everyone:

• the curriculum is more broad than deep  (that means extra studying if you want to go in depth into anything, which doesn't work for everyone.)
    • it's better to think of the instructors as TAs (they'll help you when you get stuck, but there's no direct instruction per se)
    • the amount you learn is self-driven (because of time constraints and the fact that Epicodus accepts students at all levels of coding knowledge, it is often up to the student to challenge themselves or follow up with the resources that Epicodus provides)
    • your job search is also going to be largely self driven (again, Epicodus offers resources, but in the end it is up to you to follow up on them, do the networking etc)
    • not all internships are created equal (it is possible that you will get an internship with a company that is very up and coming or not entirely certain what to do with an intern)

Epicodus is very clear about what it is and is not.  From the get-go (as in, these are all things that I was told during my intake interview) they want you to understand that the instructors are more TAs than anything else, that your learning is largely self-driven, and that the goal of Epicodus is as much about teaching you HOW to learn how to code as it is teaching you how to code.  This last skill is invaluable given the rate that technology is advancing - it is incredibly unlikely that you will never have to learn a new framework/language for a job.  As long as you understand those things, are willing to put in a lot of work yourself, and keep working on improving after you have finished the curriculum, Epicodus will work great for you.

• Jesse Callahan • Web Application Developer • Graduate
    Epicodus gave me all the tools to become a successful programmer: how to walk through code, how to think and design with class constructors, components, and the MVC structure, how to pair program and talk about code with others, how to implement best practices and most importantly, how to use a growth mindset. If it wasn't for Epicodus, I wouldn't have a job in the field. My Javascript/React/C# class at Epicodus coincided with a college track where I was taking computer science and math. I'm convinced you get more hands-on experience at Epicodus then you would a four year degree. If you are looking to get into the industry, I would highly recommend the Epicodus full time track with the internship matchmaking process. Although I didn't get a job from my internship, I got one soon after. The internship was truly a stepping stone into my next adventure and taught me about as much as the program itself. I can't say enough good things about Epicodus. The main advice I would give to someone starting out is, you get out what you put into the program. Truly a great experience!
  • Dave L. • Software Developer • Graduate
    Positives:
    1) The flipped classroom style, and pair-programming aspect really worked well with my learning style. I was able to absorb the material at my own pace, and have the ability to implement what I learned with my partner. It's incredibly helpful and productive to have someone at your skill level learning alongside. However, it did not mean that the material came easy to me.
    2) The student advisors help keep you on track towards your end goal. Their mock interviews and resume reviews are essential towards obtaining a job. They also help see you from a humanistic perspective, and not judge you solely on your technical skills. They would also send emails of open positions to students, if they're still job searching. I believe it's the student advisors who set up guest speakers every week or two, which are super awesome to attend to, and allow a chance to broaden your network! They range from past alumni's experience to recruiters with insider's tips & tricks.
    3) The student advisors also seek internships for students to work under. I wouldn't have found mine if I didn't go through Epicodus. I imagine it would have taken me three-four times the work to get the same experience.
    4) The fact that I got to do this at home, remotely, and learn ended up feeling more productive for me. Sure, it would be pleasant to interact and pair-program in person, but I found the positives of working from home more substantial.
    5) Team week projects were fun, and having that same Friday off was a pleasant break to have!
    6) Cost is less than other bootcamps I have found. They also have a scholarship program for the underrepresented population.
    7) The program's embrace towards DEI showed me that they didn't care only about money, and had an ethical approach towards the tech industry.

Negatives:
    1) In all honesty, instructors can be a hit or a miss. They're all very nice people, and I wouldn't mind working with them in the real world alongside as my coworkers. I just had a hard time thinking I could depend on them to explain certain logic, or reasoning behind the code.
    2) Discord channel could be messy, and unorganized. Epicodus does their best, but I felt it wasn't the best medium to display information when other cohorts were going on too.
    3) The clock-in and clock-out system can be a bit constricting, but there are chances to fix them with the instructors.
    4) The React curriculum isn't the best to work from. It's a good reference to go to, but I wouldn't depend on it as my sole guide to understanding React.

For all the negatives I pointed out, it minimally affected my ability to learn how to code and program. Therefore, I give Epicodus 4 stars altogether!
  • Good Quality
    - 1/12/2022
    Tiffany • Graduate
    Epicodus is much more affordable than other bootcamps I was looking at. I like that it offers C# and I think the pacing of the material was almost perfect. I really appreciated having internships at the end of the program and that the culture is inclusive. I would've liked to have covered more material in the C# portion of the program, I feel as though it was a little slow paced and repetitive, whereas the React portion felt crammed with too much new material on top of Career Services assignments and capstones. Overall though, I feel liked I learned a lot through their curriculum and that Career Services helped better prepare me for job interviews and applications. I would absolute recommend this bootcamp to friends, especially those who have some experience with programming as it will probably benefit them in the long run.
  • Mekinsie • Ruby on Rails Software Developer • Graduate
    Epicodus taught me the most updated and relevant information on each language and framework. I still find myself going back for information from the curriculum now because there is a lot of really useful information in there! This bootcamp provided me with the structure I needed to sit down and spend time everyday to learn how to code. Pair programming was useful because that it allowed me to work with many different types of people and to learn and grow together. The content is challenging so be sure you are ready to commit. You get out what you put in! Ultimately I highly recommend this bootcamp to anyone who is considering one. It's very thorough and the instructors are awesome!
  • Jon • Student
    The quality of Epicodus does not meet their current asking price for tuition, nor their updated one. Career services are severely lacking for example. In one instance of our cohort the career services, people were asked about networking and they told us they didn't have any good feedback since they didn't really enjoy it themselves. It was super cringe when it happened. We've also been told by students they've asked to come back and speak that they received no help from them during the job hunt. Basically don't come here expecting career services.

After that, the material feels really beta testy. Spelling and grammar mistakes feel pretty regular. They do fix them fairly quickly when they are reported though so there's that.

We've also had instances of poorly worded projects. In one instance a project told us to write a test with an example that would pass the test with the way that they worded it. Again, not very helpful and confusing. Also, one of the other rubric items was interpreted in different ways because it was described with what I call "weasel words". Phrases are ill-defined when you're working with data. What do they consider a phrase? How many? It was unclear.

We also couldn't get a response from any instructors that day because they were all offline. Which leads to one of my other issues about Instructors being hit or miss.

For example, rather than giving us coding examples in the morning, they were giving us Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion examples. They had difficulty answering questions on DEI on a couple of occasions. We were also denied our pleas to proctor examples early on. I'm actually at the point where I wish I had dropped when I could get a refund, but I'm now stuck with the course or taking on a loan for a course that I don't actually feel fulfill's its advertising of what they offer.

This was also odd compared to what students said in other cohorts where they did get proper walkthroughs. So it really sounds like you get a different experience depending on if you get Cathy or Shawn, who sound wonderful.

There was also recently a presentation from some prior students where one didn't get a proper internship either. They basically were an employee so it would seem that Epicodus might not be properly vetting their internship either.

So let's review: Material can be problematic and unclear, Instructors can be hit or miss, projects can be poorly written, you're held to an attendance standard the instructors themselves don't hold themselves to, career services doesn't have the experience it needs to operate properly, and the internship could land you in a positon where you're really just unpaid labor for someone because they didn't properly vet it.
  • Jessica • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I decided to transition to software development at the beginning of 2020 and Epicodus was a critical component of this career change. Enrollment at a coding bootcamp fully immersed me in the field and it was my privilege to learn alongside inspiring, dedicated individuals who share a passion for personal growth. Collaboration is the center of the Epicodus pair-programming format and my cohort became a tight-knit group as we spent months debugging, designing, and testing together.

They handled the transition to remote learning tremendously. The instructors and career services team do a wonderful job of guiding you through the work while also encouraging independent learning. I built projects I'm proud of and came away with so much knowledge.

The internship component was a key reason why I chose Epicodus over several other bootcamps, and having a line of practical experience really helped out my resume. Job hunting was still a rough few months afterwards, but I had the tools, support, and time I needed to succeed. After all that work… I’m officially a software engineer! And I hope you’re able to take the same chance for yourself 💕
  • Salim • Student
    I found the part time program very rewarding. Due to onset of Covid our class went from on-site to online midway stage (I preferred the on-site version) but in terms of material and what not the whole experience was very rewarding. Plus the course fee is very affordable compared to what others charge (I don’t think the people who run this program are money minded - they seem to run it like it’s a non profit). I haven’t landed a job yet but the whole course was a transformational experience for me
  • Very educational
    - 10/6/2020
    Constantine • Student
     Sometimes I have found the material very difficult to understand. At first, I thought maybe it’s because English is my second language but after talking to my classmates it seems like I was not the only one. The explanation of certain topics and the tasks were very hard to interpret. Although I chose to believe that it was made purposely and it’s a part of the process. The ultimate task is to learn how to learn, so I'll trust the process, join the full time and do my best to graduate it by googling, watching YouTube tutorials, reading other material, and hiring a tutor if needed.
  • Lauralee Green • Applicant
    I had some issues concerning the presentation of information from a complete beginner's standpoint. I used the feedback button and made my opinions known, so I won't repeat my ideas. I really liked the structure of the classes and the ample resources available to us. The instructors were very accessible in the discord channel and it was fun to work with people online. I had problems sharing my screen in the beginning and Cathy told me about hooking directly into the ethernet cable instead of using wifi. That did the trick. It was also very hard to see other people's screens because the print was so tiny. I invested in a 32" smart tv and that solved that problem. By the time I got everything together and was comfortable with everything, the class was over.
    I had a problem pairing with someone who kept their mic off in order to read the lesson. I had already read the lesson and didn't know what to do with myself. I should have contacted the teacher, instead I left the room with that person without an explanation and joined another group. I apologized to this person, privately after some thinking. That was my own personal problem and had nothing to do with Epicodus. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time, that I am amazed. I learned about the basics of coding, hooking up hardware, communicating online without visual cues from other classmates, as well as new apps that I have never heard of. When I think about the scope of what was accomplished in the Intro class, I give high marks to Epicodus. Thank you for offering this class for $100. I have a much clearer idea of what is involved for the full time classes. I hope I can finish my code reviews and move on to React. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity. Lauralee Green "

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 34 graduates included in report:

50% of job obtainers reported salaries. 6% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Outcomes Report here