epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Online, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a full-time coding bootcamp offering 27-week courses, with the first 5 weeks offered for free, in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web or mobile developer by learning Ruby and Rails, Front-End Development and Design, or C# and React. Each track includes Intro to Programming and JavaScript. At Epicodus, students learn how to build web applications from top to bottom with modern technologies and practices. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry.

Every track also includes job search preparation for students; support and instruction in crafting resumes, cover letters, portfolios, and online presences. Career support staff meets one-on-one with every student to review and practice interviewing skills. After completing courses, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes. To kick off their job search, graduates participate in a Demo Day where they present projects to local, hiring employers.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.74

all (151) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (10) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    Seattle, Portland
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 5-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend five weeks learning C#. C# is developed by Microsoft and most commonly used with the .NET framework. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. Each track also includes a 5-week JavaScript course. After studying C# you'll jump into five weeks of JavaScript, the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. Next, you'll spend five weeks learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once, without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011 it has exploded in popularity. Finally, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    $100
    Yes, available through Climb Credit and Skills Fund.
    October 14, 2019 - Seattle
    January 6, 2020 - Seattle
    January 6, 2020 - Portland
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time Evening)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Online, Seattle, Portland
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites
    None
    October 14, 2019 - Online
    January 6, 2020 - Online
    October 14, 2019 - Seattle
    January 6, 2020 - Seattle
    October 14, 2019 - Portland
    January 6, 2020 - Portland
  • Ruby and React

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, REST
    Portland
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 5-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend five weeks learning Ruby. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. Each track also includes a 5-week JavaScript course. Each track also includes a 5-week JavaScript course. After studying Ruby you'll jump into five weeks of JavaScript, the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. Next, you'll spend five weeks learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once, without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011 it has exploded in popularity. Finally, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through Climb Credit and Skills Fund.
    October 14, 2019 - Portland

• Marc Larkin  User Photo
    Marc Larkin • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I applied to Epicodus in October 2016 for the January - June Full Time C#/Javascript development course.

Financing was easy to obtain, staff was very helpful with any question that I had pertaining to the the enrollment process.

On the first day of class I was surprised at the classroom environment. It was very open and they were just setting up in a new building. For about a month my class was the only one in the building, but every few weeks a new class began and the empty building filled with more desks and computers.

One of the biggest perks was the pair programming environment. It really fostered effective communication--a crucial skill in any work environment. My group did not have any experienced programmers and I think that worked to our benefit.

We all worked day by day through trial and error. Not a single day I can remember was easy; the curriculum was challenging. Sometimes it was frustrating, but if you don't make any mistakes how can you learn a lesson?

There was some instruction involved, and instructors were available when pairs got stuck. Most of the time we were left to ourselves to figure everything out after a quick morning briefing on the days topic. We would ask other pairs for help before asking the instructors; this was also beneficial.

Every pair approached handling the exact same problems in different manners. Some of us had a clear understanding of object-oriented programming. Some of us understood design. Some of us understood databases. You get the point. Everyone had their strengths and weaknesses, good days and bad days.

I would be lying if I said you could skate by without studying at home. There is a lot to take in. I will say, however, that if you don't want to work hard to gain a new skillset why are you thinking of going through a full time course?

It is a very fast paced environment for those who want a career change quickly. If you're trying to socialize, if you're just trying to breeze through a program to get a job quick, if you're just trying to develop a new hobby, do yourself and your future classmates a favor. Stay home and study through Google, Youtube, Lynda, or an online course.

This program requires a lot of focus, time, dedication, motivation, open-mindedness, and effort. A majority of your classmates WILL be grinding away at school and at home. Living and breathing code because they are dedicated to changing their, and their family's, lives. A handful of students dropped the course. Some due to circumstance, some because they didn't believe they could do it.  I'm very proud to say I finished the course. It was intense. I had to work with 30 people I had never met before and I'm far from gregarious; more of a hermit, really. I learned HTML, CSS, Javascript, TypeScript, C#, Razor, SQL, Git, Firebase, ASP.NET Core 1.1, Ember.js, Angular2, and a few other technologies. All in six months.

Am I a master at any of these things? NO. Nobody in my class is, but plenty of my classmates found their niche with what they enjoyed most in class and are now employed. The job is where you'll master your skills and If you know HOW to program you will be able to find a job.

Speaking of jobs, Epicodus also offers job assistance and internships. I haven't taken advantage of this as it isn't the route I'm going down, but everyone who wanted an internship was placed with a company for a month.

Some of my classmates have even been hired from their internships.

Epicodus is specifically for those who don't know how to program or think like a programmer.

Have you tried to teach yourself and failed? Have you had a desire to learn but haven't had the time to do it?

This program offers your the opportunity to learn, and I guarantee you won't have the time to do it. You'll be scared about dropping your life for six months. If you can dispel the fear, MAKE the time, and put in the work while you're there, I believe that you will find yourself comfortably employed as a developer in a position with plenty of room for growth with a new skillset that is highly valuable.

That's my two cents--best of luck to you.

• Ryan Back  User Photo
    Ryan Back • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Background:

Prior to starting at Epicodus in October 2016, I was a full-time student pursuing a degree in Computer Science. The desire to have more hands-on experience, in an accelerated program, motivated me to research the different “bootcamps” available in Portland. Bottom line, I wanted to get to work. Ultimately, I chose Epicodus based on price, my initial experiences with staff (shout out to Debbie for hosting a great informational open house), and the opportunity to have an internship at the end of the process.

Overall:

As many others have said, Epicodus changed my life. Today, I am working as a full-time Web Developer for a company that I absolutely love. Epicodus provided me with the tools and opportunity to jumpstart my career in web development. That being said, you have to be willing to put in the time and effort. Merely showing up for 40 hours a week and completing the bare minimum will not turn you into a developer.

In doing my research ahead of time, I entered Epicodus with the knowledge that this would not be a hands-on program, in terms of having day-to-day instruction. I enjoyed the lack of lectures and the minimal help from teachers (though they were always there if needed). This independent learning structure helped me learn how to problem solve on my own (something that has come in very handy in my new role). The world of web development is ever-changing, so I thought that Epicodus did a good job at keeping the curriculum as up-to-date as can be.

From the curriculum that I did receive, I feel as though I understand the languages and syntax that are used today. As I mentioned above, Epicodus will be what you make of it.

Pair Programming:

Pair programming was a great tool for learning. Depending on the skill level of your daily partner, you either have the opportunity to learn from someone with more experience, or to teach someone who may be struggling with the concept at hand, which helps to solidify your own understanding. In the intro class they emphasize working with someone new each day. But, as the program progresses they understand that you may find yourself working with several of the same partners over time. If you find that you don’t work well with another student, there’s no pressure to work with them again.

Internship:

Epicodus set up four internship interviews for me, with two being at the top of my “wish list”, one in the middle, and one pretty much at the bottom. The process was a little nerve-wracking, as there isn’t a guarantee that you will be matched with your top choice (even if they also list you as their top choice). They do this to make it a fair process, but it can still induce some anxiety. Luckily, I was matched with my top pick, as were many of my friends.

My internship was a fantastic experience. I was given client work right off the bat and had daily interaction with the rest of the development team. As Epicodus has mentioned, your language of choice may not be the language you end up utilizing in your internship. This was the case for me, but I found that picking up a new language was not as daunting as I thought it would be.

I can’t comment on the job assistance that Epicodus provides, as I accepted a position with my internship company. From my brief interactions with the outreach team, they are all very responsive and eager to be of assistance.

---------------

If you have any questions about my experience at Epicodus, feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn.

• Jeremy  User Photo
    Jeremy • Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was drawn to Epicodus by their low tuition, which I think is outstanding amongst its peers. You never get the feeling that you're being ripped off in any way, which was something I was generally apprehensive about when searching. The school is genuine and transparent, which as much as anything made my experience there cherished. Staff there was always engaged and helpful - albeit w/ an air of having a lot on their plates! And that's something you have to understand about Epicouds - it's not an experience that's going to be able to hold your hand the whole way through. You're really working with your fellow students to wade through the world of resources available to you, guided of course by the Epicodus curriculum. You pair with another student everyday and work through assignments together - so take note that this 'pair programming' is at the core of the experience. There are pros and cons, but personally I'm very appreciative of this system. You really get to know your fellow students and your all a big jolly group of friends by the end of the course, was great for me as I had just moved to town. Personally I think Epicodus could offer a little more solo time for those like myself who felt like they really needed days to just spread their wings -- you do work on a solo project every Friday, but I did sometimes feel stagnant due to partners at a lower level or a slow curriculum day and it would have been cool to have spent that time wayfaring the didactic playground of the internet. That being said though, I really do dig the system - you develop A LOT of soft skills from working w/ a variety of different partners and it's great for exposure to a diversity of insights & perspectives. If I would offer one other criticism, it's that the teachers can sometimes be a little more rigid than they need to be, focusing more on curriculum grading criteria than what I think is the bigger question: whether we know what we're doing and are learning. But that's definitely no biggie, and I can also be a bit delightfully mischievous :P I was hesitant about doing a bootcamp because I'm a big self-starter, so learning to code felt like something I could have done on my own. But the experience of going to that space everyday and coding as part of our community of students really was truly invaluable, I learned a ton while there and can't imagine getting started without something like that. So as an educational experience: A+ (especially because of the program's duration).

Epicodus leads you into an internship as the final part of the expierience, great for me as I'm now working where I interned. The school matchmakes students w/ companies it has relationships w/, which can be kind of hit or miss. But it is a big step forward in terms of experience and finding an internship yourself (or a job of course) is just so harrowing that I'm grateful that process was kind of streamlined for me. I wish I could comment more on job prospects/assistance after Epicdous, but I really can only say that most of my comrades were not hired on by their internships and in the few months since we finished I'd say many of us have found employment and many haven't. I only have a limited experience of the Portland job market, but I really think this is an industry in which you can take advantage of unemployed time to improve yourself as a coder and a candidate. It's hard to stay motivated, especially when you could be getting paid for that self-development, but you really can just progress on your own and make employment more and more inevitable. TL;DR Epicodus is a fantastic environment to learn to code and kick off your career, you'll meet great people and get great educational exposure. The more ambition you have to immerse yourself deeply into the dark arts of code, the more you'll guarantee your success.

• Ewa  User Photo
    Ewa • Java Application Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Why Epicodus worked for me:

great price great location and a nice space pair programming + group projects (I wanted experience working with others) the curriculum gave me direction and motivation i lacked when working on my own the cohort (I met and still am in touch with - so many great people) the internship (it was great to get some experience working with a tech company) job finding assistance (I actually found my current position through an Epicodus job posting)

Why Epicodus might not work for everyone:

the curriculum is more broad than deep  (that means extra studying if you want to go in depth into anything, which doesn't work for everyone.) it's better to think of the instructors as TAs (they'll help you when you get stuck, but there's no direct instruction per se) the amount you learn is self-driven (because of time constraints and the fact that Epicodus accepts students at all levels of coding knowledge, it is often up to the student to challenge themselves or follow up with the resources that Epicodus provides) your job search is also going to be largely self driven (again, Epicodus offers resources, but in the end it is up to you to follow up on them, do the networking etc) not all internships are created equal (it is possible that you will get an internship with a company that is very up and coming or not entirely certain what to do with an intern)

Epicodus is very clear about what it is and is not.  From the get-go (as in, these are all things that I was told during my intake interview) they want you to understand that the instructors are more TAs than anything else, that your learning is largely self-driven, and that the goal of Epicodus is as much about teaching you HOW to learn how to code as it is teaching you how to code.  This last skill is invaluable given the rate that technology is advancing - it is incredibly unlikely that you will never have to learn a new framework/language for a job.  As long as you understand those things, are willing to put in a lot of work yourself, and keep working on improving after you have finished the curriculum, Epicodus will work great for you.

• Epicodus
    - 3/21/2019
    Michael • Developer • Graduate

Epicodus was a warm and unforgettable experience.  The classes were structured in an efficient format and were fast and challenging, and accomodating to students with no prior experience or a lot of experience.  Our teacher Tyler was incredibly knowledgable and helpful.  My classmates were ambitious and driven, and I’ve developed lasting relationships with them that will continue to be fruitful in the industry.  The staff at Epicodus is motivated to help you succeed and will be there with you up until you find a job you that suits your needs.

The internship oppurtunity alone is worth the price of admission.  I was placed with a professional and respectful company that ended up hiring me out of the internship.

I would recommend Epicodus to anyone who wants a career change, and I have recommended it to close friends and family.

• Best decision!
    - 2/25/2019
    Gosia • Graduate

Joining Epicodus was the best decision I made while switching my career. At a time I joined them I was 35+ with almost no previous experience in programming. It was hard in the beginning but it was worth it. I met wonderful people there, great teachers and best class mates. I really appreciate all of the friends I made there. We all created together this supportive community with one goal: to be professional programmers one day. And thanks to them, after less than one year from starting this journey, I got my first real job in the industry. I think me working for Microsoft now is the best recommendation for that school.

• C# and React
    - 2/3/2019
    Victor Felix • Front-End Engineer • Graduate

Epicodus is the best investment I've  done for my career. I did not have any coding experience before going to Epicodus. It was frustrating at first, but once you start to understand the concepts, it will get easier. Just a few tips I wish someone gave me before I started class. Read up on the basics of coding. Even though they will start from the very basic, its nice to have a head start. Do not be afraid to ask questions. If you do not understand any of the materials, your mentor is there to help. I had John Franti as my mentor and he is an amazing teacher. Very patient and very knowledgeable. Last and not least, do not give up. There will be challenges and frustration throughout the course, but it will be well worth it if you put enough effort.

• Alex Dominguez • Bilingual Teacher Assistant • Student

I went to Epicodus for their Introduction to Programming with Kyle Lange this past fall and it was one of the best learning experiences learning how to code. Epicodus is designed even for people like me and anyone who don’t have a tech background but the desire to learn to have the tools necessary to succeed. From how to learn command line, HTML, CSS and Onkected JavaScript with a final project that challenges you to use all the skills learned and use them in your last project, it’s a good beginning for people who don’t have a technical background and can succeed in their full class route wether is React, C# and others. The classes are well paced even for the advanced and for the begginer coders. What highly recommend the most about Epicodus is the class flexibility of the schedule, the professors (like Mr. Lange )who are dedicated  and skilled to help you in the most difficult coding bugs in any project and working in teams is the best approach as it mirror s the true environment in a high paced web developer company. These traits and opportunities to also intern at the end of your developer language route is what makes Epicodus great. Please consider Epicodus a choice if you’re in the Portland or Seattle area and want to change your life.

• Anna K • Software developer • Graduate

I looked for programming courses and researched few bootcamp schools before I came to Epicodus. The price is more than reasonable for what 27-week program gives you. I almost didn’t have any previous experience except free online course for HTML and JavaScript. There were guys in my cohort who knew much more and it helped me a lot. Pair programming was mostly helpful. We were learning different technologies 8 hours a day, so yes, it was tough. I would suggest all the students to start learning algorithms and data structures during the program to be better prepared for internship interviews and job search.

I was lucky to have good guys in my group, and my 5-week internship was very great! So, Epicodus classes gave me good portfolio full of projects, understanding that I can do programming at least 8 hours a day (50-60 hours per week in my case), and a real experience in a real company. I studied algorithms and data structures later by myself for interviewing and finally got a job.

It was right choice for me.

• Good for basics.
    - 9/20/2018
    Adam Titus • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

Epicodus has a very strong curriculum in basic web development and can be a good starting point for people who have already determined that coding is the right career path for them.

In my time there I went from only basic knowledge of code logic, to being able to write in 4 different languages (C#, JavaScript, CSS, HTML). I learned valuable tools for programming, how to research code questions, and the basic workflow for building projects from the ground up. By the end of the first section I was able to make a Tetris game with 3 other classmates. By the end of the second unit I built a working social network and space shooter game with 3 different classmates. By the end of the third section, I had built a well designed and functional e-commerce website with 3 more classmates. And by the end of the fourth, I had built my own maze solving neural network AI for my independent project. I also put in a lot of time and effort into learning however, and not everyone will find it easy to learn as quickly as Epicodus demands.

While Epicodus does provide good basic knowledge, their curriculum isn't as strong at preparing you for an actual programming job in the real world. It's common to have to learn a  new codebase when starting a new position but that isn't an experience Epicodus provides. Also, Epicodus projects rarely go beyond a few static web pages hosted on Github. Exposure to these scenarios can and do teach valuable lessons the first time you encounter them, as they force you to think about problems and questions in new ways. If Epicodus added that to their curriculum it would better prepare future developers for real world experiences.

Some of this is solved, however, by the internships Epicodus provides. These internships vary wildly in quality though because all the companies are different and Epicodus can't really control their actions. While I had a great experience at my internship, I don't think that was a universal occurrence. If you do get a good internship as I did, it can get you amazing connections, recommendations, experience, and mentors for your future career. Epicodus does it's best to match you with a company that would be a good fit, and from my experience I came away for the better from it.

The instructors are competent and are good at teaching the basics of code knowledge. However, they are not always experienced enough in the programming world to fully provide the answers that some students may have.

Epicodus is also helpful in the job search after you complete the course work. They offer resources, and their demo day generated several interviews for me with a variety of companies. But competition in this field is tough, so it still may take many months to find work in the web development field. I was employed as a junior software developer about 4 months after graduating, and I was one of the lucky ones. So use the resources that Epicodus gives you, but know that you have to do a lot of your own work to be successful in the job hunt.

In conclusion, I think Epicodus is a great start for prospective developers, and is a great place to learn and get your foot in the door. Just be aware that finding a job in this field is much tougher than just knowing the basics, and that it's only the starting point.

• Leah • Student

Epicodus was exactly what I needed to determine whether I wanted to continuing expanding my web programming knowledge into a career. I chose the Part-time course as a wayfinder, which was affordable and fit with my full time work schedule. The instructor was attentive, helpful, and knowledgeable about industry trends. The pace was challenging but not overwhelming. The classroom space was great with state of the art computers and equipment. The in-person class setting was particularly valuable to me as I really enjoyed partnering with different classmates and learning from each other. Overall it was a good experience for me and a way to push myself to explore new career options. Thank you Epicodus!

• What a wild ride!
    - 8/15/2018
    Cheryl • Jr. Support Developer • Graduate

If you're looking for a cheaper, quicker way to get into development or other tech career path, this program is for you. It's intense and a lot of work even outside of the 40-hour weeks in class. Your brain will hurt. You will be tired. You may be one of the students who sleeps on the couches. But it is all worth it!

I mainly chose Epicodus over other programs because it offered a React track and included an internship experience. For me, this was a mid-career change and paying for another traditional degree or graduate program wasn't going to work. And while it's not easy to pair program all day long, my classmates were some of the most supportive and enjoyable parts of this experience. Lunch talks are a great way to network, learn from those actually working in tech and hear about different paths you can take.    Epicodus is a growing family in the Pacific Northwest ... graduates are everywhere! During and after school, I have run into Epicodus students at conferences, at my current employer and on the MAX train.    If this is something you're considering, I would recommend checking out the Saturday open house or scheduling a visit.
  • Jonathan Stein • Web Developer • Graduate

I attended the Seattle Epicodus part time to full time C#, .NET, and JS courses. It was about 6 months total, and I'm overall happy with my experience.

Although the curriculum was a bit rushed at times (our teacher was writing it the night before to keep it up to date, which caused some issues in class), I was still able to get a lot of knowledge out of the programs, specifically the JS/Angular course.

I'm currently working a 6 month contract as a web developer for 23/hr. So much better than my last jobs! I landed the job about 2-3 weeks after my internship ended.

If you are dedicated and able to do the work, engage with the materials on more than surface level, and do extra work outside of class, Epicodus can work for you.

• Nekilof • IT Assistant

I'm going to say that my experience here has been limited, as I only stayed in their PT evening program for 3 weeks, but here's my thoughts: The bad: -Epicodus is only designed for folks whom can afford both in time and money to attend 8-5PM M-F for months & put in extra work on the weekends too. There is a PT Intro class, but there is no other content available on an evening, weekend, or part time schedule. So if you're the "breadwinner" for your home, have children, or any other obligations in your life that prevent you from doing this, then it becomes exceedingly difficult to attend Epicodus. -You're paired (you work with another student for the duration of the day/night) from the first class onward, and they mention in the orientation materials that sometimes you're "paired up" (meaning the person you're with knows more than you), "paired down", or you're equals. The problem there is that if you're in a "paired up" situation, the person whom knows more than you might not be interested in or good at teaching you...or might simply think they know what they're doing vs. actually knowing what they're doing. You're also placed in a potentially similar position if you're "paired down" as you're now the teacher and that may or may not be your cup of tea. I was never in a pairing that I enjoyed. I felt like the lesson for the day got completely muddled in the dynamic of the person you were to be working with. To give a specific example, one pair partner told me he finished all the classwork for that week at home, so he was going to zip to the next week's lesson. You share a computer, and so then it became a strange power struggle between what he wanted and what I wanted the whole night. -For me the learning style just didn't work. You're expected to move at a pretty fast speed, and there really isn't room to help someone left behind like I was. Going into IT was a huge shift for me from being a therapist, and I had a lot of questions that were going unanswered...and then I got more and more confused as time went on & felt like there was no time for review, no one there to help and guide me, or the ability to go more in depth with an instructor on a topic I was struggling with to help clear up questions. The luke warm: -I was surprised by the complete lack of instruction by the instructors, whom are more like proctors than anything else. You learn by watching online video content, which is free and accessible online at the time I'm posting this: https://www.learnhowtoprogram.com/ There isn't enough time or instructors to provide you with in-depth time to answer your questions. There's a question queue system, and the questions are answered as quickly as possible and frequently the proctors didn't seem to know much about the content. -If you're in the PT night Intro class, none of the staff outside the proctors are there, so you miss out on the lunch lectures and other experiences that the FT folks get. I asked if the lunch lectures could be taped, and although I was told this was a good idea, it didn't happen during my time there. -If you're in the PT night class, you're expected to make the transition to the day time full time schedule after the intro class. So that'll involve a lot of planning for most folks to be able to pull off. The good: -The PT night class is a more affordable option if you're unsure whether to commit to the full program during the day or not after Intro is over. At the time I attended it was $400 for the PT night class. -I feel their customer service w/ admissions was fantastic. So do I feel like Epicodus gives you much more than say, a $25 a month Team Treehouse account? No I don't. You're basically only paying for a place to learn to program vs. getting hands on experiences that you couldn't get from a learn to code site & info from an instructor with experience under their belt. I felt like writing this would help to balance out the super positive reviews with perhaps a more...realistic outcome? Epicodus wasn't for me.

• Michael • IT Associate • Student

I took the evening intro program because I was enrolled full time in college and I wanted a course that would fit my schedule. I also wanted to learn a lot in that short amount of time. After the course my interest in programming increased and I am planning on taking the full-time course once everything settles down. Thank you to Epicodus for all your programs.

• Great opportunity!
    - 12/21/2017
    Nicole • QA Specialist • Graduate

I attended Epicodus after working as a project coordinator for 5 years after college. I had some experience of basic HTML and CSS which intrigued me to want to learn more. I had heard great things about the code school from an alum and former coworker. If you want a quick way into the tech industry Epicodus can help you get there, but you definitely need to dedicate yourself and put in a lot of work on your own if you want to be successful.

Teachers are there more so for moral support and to help you learn better. It is up to you to do the heavy lifting, which is what it will be like in the job world. The initial curriculum can be overwhelming for someone with no experience. I would highly recommend trying to code on your own through free online resources to determine if this is something you are truly interested in pursuing before signing up for Epicodus.

Also, Epicodus focuses on pair programming; this is when you work with another person, sharing the keyboard and mouse daily. You can choose your partner. I would suggest trying to work with everyone in your cohort at least once. This will help you learn different work styles. Sometimes you will have a bad day with a partner and you may choose not to work with them in the future. Take that as a learning experience, but also keep in mind you can’t always choose your coworkers so learn to work better with different people, which probably means learn to communicate better.

Job search help is pretty good but again, you need to do most of the heavy lifting. Top three tips: network at meet ups/hackathons/friends/linkedin, work on side projects (not cookie cutter Epicodus projects, keep an open mind (the most important thing is to get your foot in the door.) Also, find code challenges and do them daily and pick up some resources on basic computer science concepts, Epicodus is only going to scratch the surface.

• Great experience
    - 12/21/2017
    Isabel • Graduate

I took the evening intro to programming class and it was a really, really positive experience for me. I loved the pair-programming model; it helped keep me focused and upbeat without having the stress of working in a big group. The teacher was very friendly and helpful, as were all the other students. I learned a lot and feel better prepared to continue my education on my own. I definitely would have moved on to the full time class if I had the time and money.

• Kate • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate

I had a great time at Epicodus, and I was very lucky in that I had a kickass group of people in my cohort and many of them became good friends of mine. I learned a ton, was definitely challenged by the coursework, and I found a job soon after the program was over (though I was in the minority in my class in that regard--just trying to be honest. And I was nowhere near the most skilled coder in the cohort! Luck, timing, and a good attitude go a long long way). If you're reading this review, you're probably trying to figure out if this is the right career path for you. One thing that kept putting me off is the snobby elitists who kept saying things like "you'll be a great engineer if, when you were a kid, you loved taking apart radios/toasters/VCRs/insert-random-mechanical-gizmo-here and then putting it back together again! If you didn't show a strange fascination in boring electrical gadgets as a child then surely you can't enjoy coding!" I am telling you now, I think that's bullshit. I never did that when I was a kid. I hung out with friends, read books and played sports and never ever had the slightest interest in that kind of thing. BUT, I love coding and I love love love love my job as a junior software engineer. Don't let the grumps get you down!  Also, I tried to teach myself coding through codecademy and treehouse prior to starting Epicodus, and I kept getting so frustrated and I thought it would turn out to be a dead-end...but Epicodus was such a different experience. Yes, it was hard. Yes, I learned a ton really really fast. But I also got to talk to people in person, and talk with my pair programming partner every day, and ask questions of other real live humans! It was great. Epicodus was a fantastic experience and literally changed my life.  Epicodus's strength is in their classes, their methods, and how much you learn. Their weakness is in getting you a job. The market seems to be becoming a bit more saturated with bootcamps so finding a job is tough and you have to just kind of luck out, honestly. I had a wonderful experience but doing a bootcamp (any bootcamp) and expecting a job at the end of it is a huge gamble. Good luck to all of you!! I hope it all goes well!

• Caitlin • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

After spending years in customer service, I finally decided to take the leap and attend a coding bootcamp. I was pretty skeptical that 6 months could lead to a new career. It seemed like all of my other choices were to go back to school for another 2-4 years and tens of thousands of dollars. I did a lot of research before choosing Epicodus and I'm so glad I did. I really believe that Epicodus is the best option.

I attended the C#/.NET track at the Seattle campus earlier this year and it was a fantastic experience. It was hands on learning and the instructors were incredibly kind and helpful. It really felt like they wanted all of us to succeed. They also give you tons of help in finding a job after graduation. The internship was by far one of the most valuable aspects of the program. I didn't get a job with the company I interned with, but I was able to get real world experience and recommendations on my resume that helped me get a great junior web developer job at a local startup.

As for advice before you begin the prorgam, I would say it is very valuable to learn the funadmentals of Javascript before you start. I knew nothing and I made it through just fine, but it would have been so helpful. Most of my class had studied Javascript on their, which made me feel left in the dust in my second week. If you feel like this during your program, just know that it gets better. You will get the hang of it and start working on material that no one has seen yet. Some people say that a coding bootcamp is going to take over your whole life but that wasn't the case for me. I was able to go to class all day and still have a life when I got home. It was exhausting and fun and super rewarding.

Thank you Epicodus! This was the best investment I've ever made and I will always be grateful.

• David • Web Developer • Graduate

I'd been trying to teach myself C# and failing, due to a lack of motivation. I heard about Epicodus from a grad, and saw they had a C#/.NET track, and I knew that I would be doing that asap. I withdrew my enrollment from PSU (just 2 days before class started), and paid for Epicodus. I had some background with Web based Programming, and video game development, but what I needed was a positive and open space to dive deep into the .NET stack. Having an instructor that knew the curriculum well, and (more importantly) was willing and able to learn with us when we found difficult problems, really went a long way. She was an excellent mirror for our collective excitement. I graduated this past October, and within 3 weeks was hired.

This worked so well for me because the curriculum was challenging but fair, and I loved doing the work. I happily devoted as much time as I could, because I knew that I would reap the rewards after graduation. I highly reccommend this program for anyone looking to delve into Web Development.

Its not a real review without at least one negative comment. The only one I can think of was that there were a few hiccups with the internship process for my cohort. It is a mercurial process, dealing with businesses and students. My cohort was part of a double group, Design and C#, so there were 40+ people to place.

• PHP/Drupal Course
    - 11/19/2017
    Eliot • Front End Developer • Graduate

Great course!  I had a really good experience with Epicodus in Seattle.  The classroom setting was inspiring, coursework was thorough and engaging and instruction was there when you needed it.  Ultimately, besides the fundamentals of coding, what I learned was the ability to find answers to problems, troubleshoot, be tenacious and rely on my problem solving skills to figure out lessons.  I would definitely recommend if you have the drive and motivation to challenge yourself here.

• Starlynne Start • Web Developer • Graduate

This was one of the best things I have ever done.

I chose Epicodus after researching a few different fast-paced coding programs- some were shorter (and still cost more), some were longer. I picked Epicodus based on price, location, and the pair programming.

Though I didn't think I would enjoy pair programming, I thought it would be valuable to learn how to collaborate, not just have a role on a team, but actually build something together. It ended up being far more enjoyable than I had thought! It was fantastic to learn from, lean on, teach, and support eachother through our courses. I rarely had any issues with others, and in fact made some very good friends.

The staff is great. The teachers do not hold your hand- they are there to help you learn, not provide you answers. That said, there were times I found such devious ways to baffle myself and them that Loren (my instructor) and I would spend hours learning new things to tackle the issues. They are friendly, capable, and more than willing to help you through the tough spots. The internship/employment staff is also very supportive! When I had opportunities to interview before we had done the in-class prep, they took extra time to help me practice before hand.

The only thing I see wrong in the curriculum was that I wish there was more of it! It IS a short program though, and they can only put so much into everyday. There are many further exploration links and suggestions provided in addition to the daily lessons.

If you are attending Epicodus, a few suggestions:

Follow up on as many of the extras as possible. Do the optional second assignments on your own time if you don't have time in class.  Do not make assumptions about your pair until you have worked with them- preferably more than once! Everyone struggles with different parts of the program, and they may lag in one area only to be the expert you need in another.  If you are struggling- I certainly did- remember that the things that looked hard a week ago seem easy a week later. Keep at it and chances are whatever seems impossible today will seem easy in another week. Keep your github clean and your readmes up to date - it will save you a lot of time later! Learn all you can about tech interview/algorithm/BigO notation and PRACTICE solving coding challenges/whiteboarding as much as possible. These are essential for the interview process and are not covered except very briefly in the coursework. Codewars.com is a great place to practice.  Network! Go to events, make yourself talk to strangers. It is how you get most opportunities in this field.  Don't wait until graduation to start looking/applying to jobs- and don't let a 'failed' interview bother you. (I failed a few!)  Many jobs take a while to get back to you, you want a head start, and the interviews are TOUGH- but they are a skill like any other and practice is the only way to get better.  You can get hired! There were a few of us that had jobs even before our internships ended- some through regular application/interview, some through introductions (networking!!!).

I loved this school, and would do it again in a second. If I could get paid to attend, I would never have left! Highly, highly recommended.

• Neil • Software developer • Graduate

Graduated and was lucky that my internship turned into a job. All the staff were super friendly and supportive at Epicodus. Great place to meet likemined people and grow your network. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting a career in tech. The course is challenging; be prepared to work hard especially if you are not familiar with Internet technology.

• Sam P • UI Engineer • Student

I would not be where I am now if it was not for Epicodus. Prior to Epicodus, I worked as a support developer as a startup and I always felt lost and suffered from imposter syndrome. Epicodus helped me to develop the right mindset to to become a problem solver, and not just a developer who remembers things. I learned to recognize patterns across many technologies which allowed me to familiarize myself with the unfamiliar with confidence and speed. That alone is huge in the world of software development. On top of that Epicodus covers a huge bredth of knowledge. My only complaint would be some of the later Javascript curriculum which covered Ember.js which you just don't encounter that much. I know that Epicodus plans alleviate these minor problems in the future though as they are pushing more Angular and React which are much more prominent in the industry. I now work as a UI Engineer at a large company and though I do not know everything going into this job, I know I can pick it up much more quickly and confidently due to Epicodus. I give Epicodus my full recommendation.

• Reed Lambiér • Java Technical Support Engineer • Graduate

Epicodus changed my life.

I started my professional life out as a Firefighter EMT in Bellingham WA. I couldn't finish college due to a health problem that required a lot of time and a lot of money to fix. So public Service was the best option for me since I couldn't afford to finish my degree without accruing immense amount of debt....or so I thought.

After being injured and not able to fulfill the duties of my current job I latched onto writing code one day and never stopped. Eventually I started researching code schools and I discovered Epicodus. I had a phone interview with Debbie and she a warmly accepted me into the Java/Android March 2016 cohort and I headed to Portland.

My experience at Epicodus was great. The teachers are hard working and busy but most of them are always there to help when needed. However, please make no mistake about how much of a challenge this school is. You will be learning code 50 - 70 hours a week for about 27 weeks. A strong third, if not close to half of my cohort(many of whom became close friends) had to leave the school for various reasons throughout the program. This is nothing short of a "bootcamp" and you should treat it as one. Coming in with the right attitude is everything. Probably one of the biggest pieces of advice I can offer is once you finish the courses you must treat the job hunt just like any other course. Everyday send out as many quality applications and cover letters as you can. If you are like me and don't have any credible certs, degrees or past work experience in the software industry, your hurdle is a little bit higher than everyone else and being persistent is everything.

The good news is that if you are tough, don't make excuses and work hard every single day you can make it through. After about 2.5 months of job hunting and interviewing I landed a position at New Relic working as a Java Support Engineer and I couldn't be happier.

Bottomline, I wouldn't be in the position I am today if it wasn't for this school. You too can find success through Epicodus as long as you work hard and stay focussed.

• Ned Faulhaber • SEO Specialist • Graduate

Epicodus is a mixed bag.  It delivers on its promise to get you from no coding experience to being a coder.  That said, your job prospects and general educational experience really depend a lot on your general aptitude for coding, your experience going in, and the route that you choose to go (front vs back end).  Here is some advice that I hope will be helpful to you...

The coding mindset

Make no mistake - you WILL be a coder at the end of this program.  Your knowledge will be limited in many ways, but you will indeed have the "coding mindset" that Epicodus focuses on - namely that you will have the aptitude to have an easier time learning new languages and understanding web dev concepts.

Instruction

One would expect to be instructed when one pays to go to a school, right?  This is missing at Epicodus.  Instructors are largely unavailable - day to day, they are not a presence unless you are having an issue, and you must put a "ticket" in to see them in that case.  You get a weekly code review, but it is short, and doesn't make up for the lack of instruction the other 39.5 hours each week.  Also, most instructors have no education training at all, and there is a difference between knowing how to do something and knowing how to teach it.

Pair Programming

So who DO you learn from?  Pretty much up to you and your daily "pair" student partner, utilizing the online lessons that you follow each day.  Pair programming is a cool idea in essence, but has some serious problems.  If you can find a partner who is similar in level, approach, speed, learning style, and personality, it can be very useful, as you can really help each other through challenges and problems.  The down side is that with the lack of instruction, you are basically learning from your partners, and they are just students like you, and almost nobody has any education background.  It would seem that finding a coder better than you would be really helpful in learning, but in reality, those students are the worst teachers.  They are either such naturals at it that they can't get on your level when they try to explain, or they are snooty and condescending, and basically annoyed with anyone not on their level.

The quality depends upon the class.  The modules for CSS and Design classes were easy to follow, with a good pace, and really great videos and articles.  The intro curriculum was awful - the section on JavaScript goes from zero to 100 and can leave a beginner's head reeling.  It's like being a beginning swimmer, dipping a toe in the water, and the suddenly you're trying to swim in the middle of the Pacific.

Internship

I found this to be the best part about Epicodus.  Getting some professional experience at the end of school was great - I learned a lot about client/coder relations, which greatly affects how you approach a project and what pressure there is (or isn't).  Getting the idea of a workflow and how a pro team works was extremely beneficial.

Be careful which path you choose

In speaking with professionals, other Epicodus grads, and in my own experience, I've discovered that if you want a good paying job fairly quickly after graduating, it's a whole lot better to go the back end route.  The front end market is super-saturated in Portland, and the farther you align with the design side of things, the harder it is to find entry-level jobs.  Nearly all UI/UX design jobs were asking for 5+ years of professional experience, for instance.  I'd suggest that if you go the front end track and wanna maximize your chance for a nice-paying gig, concentrate on JavaScript.  I really wish that I had known about this before starting at Epicodus.

In the end

I wouldn't have the job (SEO Specialist) that I currently have without Epicodus.  A year ago, I would have had no chance whatsoever to get any tech job, and now, that is an option for me, which improves my future career options.  I enjoy Sass, and love Sketch, and have fun with my hobby projects.  I've been very disappointed by the lack of decent paying jobs for my design-oriented interests, and I felt that I could have learned a lot more if I had some better instruction.  But, despite the many issues that I believe Epicodus has, I still have come out with a new job skill, and a new job.  I feel that I paid too much for it, but I did get a fast education in how to do web development and design.