epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning JavaScript, Ruby on, Rails, C#, .NET, and React. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry. Epicodus focuses on collaboration and inclusivity. Students work together in pairs and teams almost every day, and a diversity, equity, and inclusion approach is a core part of the program design.

Epicodus's courses also include job search preparation for students. Career advisors meet one-on-one with every student to review resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing, and even go over job applications in class. After completing the coursework, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.69

all (175) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (11) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

C#, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL, React.js
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    January 03, 2023 - Online
  • C# and React (Part-Time)

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, React.js, C#, MySQL, GitHub, .NET, SQL
    Start Date January 03, 2023
    LocationPortland, Seattle, Online
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
    January 03, 2023 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time)

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, GitHub
    LocationOnline, Seattle, Portland
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
  • Ruby and React

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Rails, React.js, REST, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL
    Start Date January 03, 2023
    LocationPortland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    January 03, 2023 - Portland
  • Ruby and React (Part-Time)

SQL, Ruby, React.js, Rails, Node.js, HTML, GitHub, Git, CSS
    LocationOnline, Portland
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
  • Matthew Williams • Front-End Web Developer • Graduate

I spent easily over 60 grand on college and 4 years of my life to get a bachelors degree. Fast forward 5 years later and I'm still making barely more than minimum wage (in the field I was pursuing no less!) At this point I though I'd give something else a try. A few friends of mine recommend coding bootcamps and it was a short time commitment at very little cost compared to my other options. So why not?

Four months later here I am with a brand new job thats paying well beyond what I used to make. The atmosphere is much more relaxed (what other industry lets you drink on the job?) and your ideas and views are respected by your peers. Keeping in mind that I had absolutely no prior experience, I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome.

Epicodus doesn't teach you code, it teaches you how to learn code, and that honestly was the most important tool I left with. No school will prepare you for the real world since no two companies use the same languages and style, but it will help you adapt as fast as you need to if you're willing to work at it. It also teaches you how to code well with others, which is crucial to keeping up with the team. On top of this, they have an excellent and light-hearted teaching staff that will make 8-hour coding sessions go by quicker than you'd think possible.

I can't speak for everyone, but I believe now is the time to jump into this industry while it's still underpopulated and Epicodus is the best place I can think of to begin.

• Go to Epicodus!!
    - 1/13/2015
    Andrew Hallberg • Graduate

Hey there, When I started Epicodus I had zero knowledge of computers. Previously, I had been a musician and worked in digital music for a bit, but mostly considered myself an artist. In going to Epicodus, I wanted to jump on the technology bandwagon and see where it could take me.

Epicodus was and is awesome!

Everyday was about pushing myself to learn and think like a computer/engineer. I loved it. I would do it again. Though there were points when it took a whole 8 hour day in order to understand a concept, once I got it, it was like a light bulb went off in my head and thousands of new possibilities emerged. Part of the program is about learning to persist, and finding resources and support from the people around you.

During the program, me and two others began a startup and spent many hours after class working out the details and arguing about the database architecture. The learning that takes place is a matter of what you want out of the program, and the more you put in the more you get out. The two programmers I worked with are still close friends and will tirelessly have technical conversations about JavaScript frameworks and new disruptive technology. We all ended up getting hired at the end of the program and our startup was put on hold. However, what we gained was the knowledge and experience (and code base) for putting together a company and working through it’s problems.

I highly recommend Epicodus. It reshaped my career and changed my life trajectory for the better. The program is run by a team of caring professionals, the curriculum will constantly push you, and the people you meet will be friends for life. Currently, I am studying IT project management in an MBA program, and do consulting side projects for startups and small businesses.

All the best and good luck!

Andrew

• Developer Bootcamp
    - 10/16/2014
    Jason Rodriguez • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

Epicodus is a four month, forty hour per week, in-person class on programming. You'll learn everything you need to know to get a job as a web developer or build your startup's app.

• Mostly fine
    - 7/26/2022
    This bootcamp was, at least in the beginning, perfectly fine! We were learning a decent amount and enjoying it. However, we'd all been told we'd be set up with an internship at the end of the course and then were told that wouldn't be the case and never was. Concerns were met with gaslighting in which we were told that WE (the entire class and a few beneath us as well) were in the wrong, even though we all remembered being told the same thing. The last section was also not at all updated and unusable.
  • Great School
    - 6/16/2020
    This school helped me to get a job in tech and advance my career. It also taught me to think like a programmer and learn new methods of problem-solving.

I took the part-time evening course from January - April 2018. I learned a ton and learned enough to make some pretty cool projects relatively quickly. My instructor - Kyle Lange - was fantastic. Would definitely recommend the part-time course -  the learning experience is bar-none and a huge bang for your buck

• Anonymous • Unemployed • Graduate

Although I loved meeting fascinating people from all over the area, a few weeks into the program I realized pair-programming was not conducive to learning for me and withdrew. I require more guidance and instruction.

My problem was that were either higher-level students that I couldn’t keep up with, or individuals at my level and it was difficult to progress. It is encouraged to find the answer for yourself, but I felt like it was the “blind leading the blind.” Students began referring to the code of the more knowledgable students, and this just wasn’t conducive to learning for me.

The projects started out doable in the first couple weeks, but the learning-curve became so steep that I felt it was best to cut my losses. Staff estimated there would be around one half-hour of homework each evening, which wasn’t accurate for me and I started spending all evening and weekends trying to grasp the concepts.

I think if I was a more experienced coder who needed to hone my craft and gain more experience working with others, then this might be a better fit. I burnt out too quickly starting with very little coding knowledge.

I had a mixed experience at Epicodus. I enjoyed pair programming with others and my internship was awesome. But I do have some issues. First, many of the companies that provide the internships aren't established. For example, two of the people in my class had internships at a place where they knew more about coding than the "developers" they were working with. The company didn't even have an office for them to work out of. One of those students reluctantly took on a position at the company, but she told me that the pay was very low, no benefits, no sick days, really more like a side hustle than a job. Second, Epicodus has not been that helpful with job placement. Yes, we worked on a resume, did a mock interview, and the like, but there was no solid guidance in the job search. Demo Day was very dissapointing. A few "employers" meandered around the room looking at projects. You had to flag them down if you wanted to present your project to them. I don't know anyone who landed a job from the Demo Day.

Epicodus gives you the impression that their name carries a lot of weight on a job application--especially with certain companies--but in my experience it doesn't. I also don't feel that the instruction prepared me for a fultime coding job. The code reviews are kind of a joke. You don't really get very useful feedback--it's mostly positive, but nothing specifically related to the quality of your code. It's very easy to trick yourself into believing that you're skills are better than they actually are.

Epicodus could be improved with better instruction (especially feedback on proper coding methodology), better job placement services, and updated curriculum.

My main problem with Epicodus is that they sell you on the dream of changing your life with a coding job--anyone can do it--just complete our program and you'll be a programmer! That has not been my experience and I know other Epicodus graduates who would agree with me.

Epicodus is a good school, but it doesn't live up to the hype. I think a person could achieve similar results for a lot less money using FreeCodeCamp, Treehouse or Udacity, and going to meet-ups.

• Anonymous • Unemployed • Graduate

I had a great time learning at Epicodus. I felt that the courses were challenging, informative and the instructors were great.

My internship experience was terrible. They do not have enough companies to provide high quality internships. Especially if you took the front-end track. When I 'interviewed' with companies they straight up asked my why I was there and what I'd be doing for them. I learned nothing at my internship and got zero real life experience to prepare me for the job market. They should just drop it and focus on placing people in jobs.

Their job assistance is non-existant. Expect to receive an email once a week for about month or so asking you what jobs you applied. At a certain point Audrey stopped emailing me, I haven't heard from them in 4 months.

It has been 7 months since I completed Epicodus and I don't have a job, nor have I gotten any interviews for any developer roles. I have received no real support from Epicodus, and in talking with some of my classmates I realized that I am not the only one. They really let me down in that respect, and they should really invest in providing proper job and effective job assistance. As it is now, I wish I had never gone because I am in a worse spot than I was before I went cause I at least had a job before. So, if you have connections and already have prospects for a job then try Epicodus. If not don't expect help from them.

I joined Epicodus based on their assertion that I could expect to come out knowing how to code and that I would start off making close to 80k a year.  I had some very basic coding experience and I thought it would be a fun way to start a great career.

There is a lot to learn in just 5 months even though it's full time, Monday through Friday.  But hard work pays off, right?  Let's use an analogy that may or may not work: Ferraris are powerful.  But they are only as fast as the rubber on the tires pushes the pavement.  If you have bald tires on your Ferrari, you aren't going to get anywhere.  An old Pirelli tire ad had the tagline 'power is nothing without traction', or something to that effect.  Finally...the point:

Epicodus prides itself on pair programming.  As others have mentioned, that can work when you and your partner just happen to be at the same level.  But in the real world, you aren't.  Many times someone who is struggling will be paired up with someone who has years of professional experience and wants to do things their way, quickly, without following the course material.  That benefits neither student.  The pairing usually falls somewhere between these two cases but is rarely beneficial when it's not the first one.

When pair programming at Epicodus, you as a student follow along with the curriculum which is openly and freely available at www.learnhowtoprogram.com.  This is it.  There is no special content available to paying students only.  Check out some of the videos.  If you have never seen a learn-to-program video, you might not think they are too bad.  On the other hand, if you have worked through instructions on a top-notch site like www.teamtreehouse.com, you will quickly notice a few things.  First, the instructions are clearly not pre-written so what you get is a highly-capable programmer showing you how he or she does things.  I could watch Top Gun 10 times in a row but I'm not going to be able to fly an F-16 because of it.  Incredibly important concepts are constantly glossed over.  The production value is very low with constant "oopsies", background noise (are they really creating professional instructional videos at a coffee shop???), and inconsistent visual training methods (usually just a game of 'try to follow the cursor').  The videos are bad, okay?  But at least they have a text version, right?  Again, these text pages are written by excellent programmers who think like programmers...in disjointed blocks.  Longer programs are never shown in whole, often contain glaring errors, and are not presented in any sort of obvious order.  Students spend a significant chunk of time googling basic instructions.  This should absolutely not be necessary in a paid program.

The program bites off more than it can chew.  There are 4 modules of 4 weeks of instruction (plus a project week) with Fridays being reserved for, essentially, a test.  So 4 days of instruction weekly.  Each module is essentially a new language (with some overlap).  Imagine trying to learn basic English in 4 weeks.  You would have to learn sentence structure, basic vocabulary, word types and punctuation in 4 days.  Not just be introduced to these huge topics, but know them enough that you build on them while adding new vocabulary and new rules every day.  Now imagine if English had little to no room for error and you were being taught by reading a book that was written by someone who was an English major but had no teaching experience and you see what week 1 looks like.  The second module had us learn the language in the weekend before class started and 5 days BEFORE we set our computers up to be able to use that language.

I always like to say that Epicodus is a great place to learn how to program if you already know how to program.  The internship could be worth the price of admission but if you don't know how to program, it's not likely to pay off.

But say you do excel at teaching yourself massive amounts of concepts and rules and come through the tunnel as a great programmer, ready to take on the world and start a great career.  Remember supply and demand.  5 years ago, before 'coding bootcamp' was a thing, there was a lot of demand for programmers.  Therefore, the pay was impressive.  Now camps are everywhere.  There are already 2 Epicodus' and they are planning on opening many more in the near future.  This site shows that within a half year of finishing this program, only 56% of graduates are employed full time doing what they went through the camp to do.  The school even admits that you won't come out as a professional, yet you will be vying for jobs with ever-decreasing rewards against experienced professionals who are willing to accept ever-decreasing pay.  The market is already flooded and Epicodus is actively working to create more supply.

None of this means that you shouldn't pursue a career in IT.  It is still a great field.  But I would not suggest committing a lot of time or money for a bootcamp if even its successful completion is your main qualification for landing a decent job.

• Epicodus Review
    - 3/10/2017

Overall I give Epicodus 5 stars. I got what I needed out of the experience, and am now employed in the tech industry.

The most valuable part of the program is being in a room with a large group of people that are at the same level of experience as you. This is invaluable. The networking, collaboration and pair programming experience really accelerated my skills. Working with a team on final projects and solving problems together added a new level in learning that was lacking in online resources I used previously.

The curriculum is largely very good. The inclusion of text resources to back up videos was awesome. The only frustration I had with it was when it was being updated while I was in a course. Sometimes I would read up for the next week, and by the time I got to working on a project or using a tool the applicable video was missing, or the text had changed. The changes were for the better, but It might be a good idea to only apply changes to the course material for the next class to maintain consistency. That being said, sometimes tools and dependencies change outside Epicodus control and I understand why some updates must be made immediately.

The instructors are hired from graduating classes. This is great because they are familiar with each project and the material being used. The instructors seem to be hit and miss, as with any learning institution. Luckily, mine were mostly hit.

The job assistance was not my favorite part of the program. The person that I was in contact with was really great, but as far as my understanding goes they were only one person supporting probably three different graduating classing at various stages in the job search. There is just no way that one person can provide support to a hundred or so students with different skills and career goals. This is a difficult point, because attending a vocational school and getting a job are not hand-holding situations. The burden of finding a job is on the graduate. I would have liked a more personalized approach however. Look at teachers notes for the student, and maybe send them a job posting or two that is specific to their goals. The support I recieved was mostly just a general check in and reminder to continue applying for jobs and coding.

Epicodus provides a very affordable option as a coding school, and it delivers a ton of value. My only complaints are based on a lack of enough personnel, and people cost money, driving up costs for the student.

My suggestions:

Hire another job search support person and deliver a more personal and less canned interaction. Two or three people in this role would be worth a modest tuition increase and deliver value to the graduate. This would also most likely increase placement rates and reduce the time till students were hired.

Teachers are spread thin, and students need jobs. Hire teaching assistants out of graduating classes. Pay them 12 bucks and hour, a couple days a week. You give instructors more time to address complex questions and work on curriculum. You give graduates valuable resume experience, and some pocket change to last them through the job search. This is how it works at a university. You can also use this as a screening for hiring new instructors. Just hire the best TA's. This is worth a modest tuition increase.

Any time you increase costs, you lose a couple people out of enrollment. I believe the improved outcomes from these two changes would easially offset that.

In Summary:

Great program, great people, no regrets. Got a job.

Increase tuition 5-10%, hire a couple people, improve outcomes.

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 34 graduates included in report:

50% of job obtainers reported salaries. 6% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Outcomes Report here